General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 06:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Altering Bridesmaids dress

Hello, all! I'm in need of some advice. I'm going to be a bridesmaid next September, but the bride would like us to order our dresses ASAP. I Have already lost 14 lbs since Jan 1st and I'm still going strong. I fully expect to be 2 sizes smaller by the time the wedding rolls around. I've elminated "try" from my vocabulary. I WILL do it! So, what size do I buy my dress in? If I get one that fits me now, can they alter it down two sizes? Can they alter it down one size? I'd be perfectly comfortable getting one size smaller than I am now. Even if I slow down on the weight loss or plateu for a while, I am 100% sure I can lose at least 1 dress size. What would you do? Thanks for any advice!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:36 PM   #2  
Zen-meister

You can definitely size down two dress sizes. Harder to alter up than down. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2005, 07:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I am a seamstress and costume maker-and they can definitely alter the dress down 2 sizes. The only thing is...the alterations if done in the bridal shop will cost a lot.

If you are going strong and are sure that you will be a size smaller or two-order ONE size smaller-but not two just in case.

Did you say NEXT September...as in 1 year and 7 months from now???? Or in September 7 months from now? If it is the year and 7 months...I would insist that she wait a while before having you all buy the dresses-too many variables can happen in a year and a half's time-pregnancy, weight losses and gains, a new crop of dresses that she likes better...

I feel for you...I am in my SIL's wedding as matron of honor next June...and I have a strange feeling that I am going to be a lavendar nightmare. I have been putting a bug in her ear to let me and the bridesmaids all wear the same color and fabric-but different dress styles-my taste is totally different than the other two bridesmaids.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Height: 5'2"

Thanks so much for your input. That was very helpful! It's in 7 months, not a year and 1/2, but I am doing great on my weight loss plan. I've lost 14 lbs in 7 weeks, and I haven't lost one bit of motivation. On average I exercise for an hour, 6 times a week. I'm on Weight watchers and have only went over in points twice -- and I didn't go completely nuts either of those times. I know I can lose a dress size. The bride hasn't found the perfect dresses yet, so I'm hoping I still have a little bit of time before ordering them. It is comforting to know that they can be altered down. I guess I'll make the decision on what to do when we're ready to order. Thanks again to both of you!
Old 02-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #5  

Good luck to you. It is comforting that she hasn't actually chosen the dresses yet. If she does soon and you are still going strong, a size down should do it. If she waits until 6-8 weeks before the wedding though...I would get it in your current size.
Good luck-you're gonna look beautiful.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:12 AM   #6  

I am in a wedding in June, and the dresses came in 6 weeks ago. I knew when we ordered that I was going to be smaller. They wanted to order 1 size larger than my measurements to play it safe, but I insisted that they get the size that I measured. When they came in I had lost 10 lbs, and the dress was too big. I have now lost another 10 lbs, so I imagine it is 2 sizes too big. Our bridal shop has a limit on how much the alterations can cost (THANK GOD!) so you might want to ask about that. One bridesmaid doesnt need ANY alterations! I feel like I am the lucky one though because I am THRILLED that I need to have the dress made smaller. I fully intend to lose another 20 lbs - good luck to whoever has to alter my dress!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #7  

alterations in MOST bridal shops ONLY take 2 weeks- don't let them tell you they need any more than 3 weeks! (I called around to see how soon before the wedding I could have it altered because I was still losing)

I was married at the beginning of the month and ordered my dress in Feb 2004 (13 months before the wedding) in the size I was then. I had to have 2 alterations, but it was worth it! (the estimated size of the dress is now a 10 from a size 16 ordered- I asked so I could advertise if I decided to sell it later on- so yes they can do it!)

order it the size you are now or 1 size smaller- not 2 sizes though- nice to be optimistic- but what would make you feel better? getting a dress that's too small when the time comes or having to have it brought in a bunch?
Old 03-22-2005, 11:06 AM   #8  

The time needed for alterations can greatly vary depending on how busy the seamstress is. *I am a seamstress and costume maker!*
If the wedding is at a busy time of the year-they may really need more time than 2 weeks-because most likely the wedding party you are in is not the only wedding party getting alterations.
If you were contacting me for instance in November-I could have gotten your dress done and in right away-but if you would have called me in the beginning of October (Halloween season) or right now (spring through beginning of summer) I am outrageously booked and have many jobs to get to before yours.
No-it doesn't take 2-3 weeks to alter a dress-but the seamstress could have 7 dresses scheduled in front of yours.
Closed Thread