Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #1  
RDY 2B HLTHY

Default HELP!!! I have an important pre-op ?

Okay.

I need as much feed back as I can get. Anything would help. I just got a call from my Doc and he told me that instead of fasting for 2 days that just one day should be good enough. But the big question is the day before, originally I was to take this Magneium Citrate but now he says I shouldn't drink it? What do you all think? I guess there have been problems with people being dehydrated. I already plan on drinking AlOT of water. from what I have read on this forum previosly everyone takes some sort of intestinal cleaner and it makes sense. Okay help, I am reay for some feed back. Thanks
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited by sdlady; 02-11-2005 at 01:35 PM.
sdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #2  
Charm38

I didn't take anything the day before and I had open surgery in April of 2002. I was fine ) I did fast for 24 hours prior as directed. I hope it all goes well for you!

Char
Charm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:05 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

I did the fleet phospho soda and clear liquids the day before the surgery. i don't understand about the dehydration issue. the first thing they do when you show up is to put an IV into you...

yep... talk with your doctor...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 329/180/150

Height: 5'4"

I did a 48 hour liquid diet and the magnesium crud, yuck!! Within 24 hours post-op, 4 or 5 I.V. bags +, and I had massive amounts of uric acid crystals in my catheter bag. The dehydration can be dependant on your post-op fluid retention factor. I retained a little over 30 lbs. The theory behind it was I had been on somewhat strong doses of lasix for 3 years for anasarca syndrome, and it made my kidneys "dumb", unable to filter fluid properly for a little while. I eventually shed all the fluid weight in about 4 days, but I had to be force-fed I.V. bags because I was constantly showing signs of dehydration, but had low electrolytes anyway. Go figure. So, magnesium citrate as a culprit? I would agree, having had to do it more than once.
original_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 329/180/150

Height: 5'4"

Oh yeah, and the phenomenon of I.V. fluids and dehydration- most I.V. fluids go straight into your tissues, instead of staying in your bloodstream.
original_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote