Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Salad Dressings

View Full Version : Salad Dressings

POOKIE88
02-10-2005, 12:24 AM
The other day I saw Paul Newman on the Jane Pauley show talking about how he started his Salad Dressing company.

I was in the supermarket today and I wanted to try one of his dressings but most of them were pretty high in fat.

Then I noticed that there were 2 "lighter" versions on the shelf.

I thought that Light Raspberry & Walnut sounded good so I purchased a bottle.

It has 5 grams of fat in 2 Tbsp so I used my measuring spoon and put 1 Tbsp on my small green salad and mixed it really well.

I have to say I really enjoyed the taste. Both the Raspberry and the Walnut flavors are very intense and really flavor the salad nicely. :yes:

I have been using the Hidden Valley "Light" Ranch which has about 7 fat grams in 2 Tbsp and I do like that one but I will certainly use the Newman dressing as well. If you are counting sugar grams the Newman does have a few more sugar grams than the Hidden Valley.

Does anyone have any other favorite salad dressings? :chin: --Pookie

Suzanne 3FC
02-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Those sound good, I'll look for them! I love a good salad. My favorite salad dressing is T.Marzetti Light Balsamic Vinaigrette. It's not too tangy, not too light, and it goes with everything.

My fav salad at the moment is butterhead lettuce (or the Riviera salad blend) with a diced apple, a sprinkling of walnuts, a little crumbled blue cheese, and the Light Balsamic Vinaigrette.

POOKIE88
02-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Hi Suzanne,

Newman also has a Light Balsamic Vinaigrette but I have not tried that one yet.

I chose the Raspberry at the supermarket because I think they have the Newman Light Balsamic as one of the choices at McDonalds so I figured I could try that flavor the next time I buy a McDonalds salad.

The salad I enjoyed last night was the Dole "Very Veggie" salad is has Romaine & Iceberg and carrots and snow peas and cabbage and thin sliced radishes. --Pookie

boiaby
02-10-2005, 11:54 AM
My fav dressing is Kraft fat free Zesty Italian, YUM! I like that it's got a little kick to it, much better than regular Italian.

Beverly

lovemychocolate
02-10-2005, 03:45 PM
I'll have to try those dressings..i always put walnuts in my salad, so i'm sure the raspberry/walnut combination is awesome!

lizzbabe
02-10-2005, 07:22 PM
I just use balsamic vinegar to give my salad a kick. Sometimes I will use salsa instead as a "dressing" if I want something spicy. I don't like oil-based things so I've never eaten conventional salad dressing (and now that I know how bad it is for me, I don't think I'll start!)

POOKIE88
02-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Suzanne,

I happened to be in a different supermarket the other day and they had the T.Marzettis Light Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing. I remembered the name from your post. I marinated some chicken pieces in it and it came out very tasty.
I marinated & cooked 2 pieces in the Marzettis and 2 pieces in the Newman Light Raspberry Walnut and they both tasted very good.

I have not tried them yet but in the same store they had a Ken's Fat Free Raspberry Pecan dressing and a Maple Grove Farms of Vermont low carb-sugar free Raspberry Vinaigrette. I'm going Raspberry crazy! I'm waiting to try them -- I don't want too many bottles open at once!--Pookie

kykaree
02-14-2005, 03:30 AM
I am so jealous!!!! We don't have anything near like that range in the UK :( I have been having naked salads lately :( I tried the extra light Hellmans mayonnaise, but I hate it, it tastes really eggy and plasticy, not nice at all.

POOKIE88
02-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi Kykaree,

Naked Salads !! :no:

I am not a cook or handy in the kitchen but could you try to mix a vinegar and a little oil or maybe some mustard etc just to have a little something on your salad? Quite a few of the vinegars etc in my store seem to come from Europe.

Maybe you don't have a wide variety of salad dressings in the UK but you do have Alan Rickman so that makes up for it ;)

--Pookie

Only Me
02-14-2005, 10:56 AM
For a healthy, do it yourself salad dressing, I like to mix salsa and fat free plain yogurt, or yogurt and dijon mustard. Sometimes I use plain balsamic vinegar. And sometimes I like a "plain" salad if it has enough yummy veggies in it and some cottage cheese on the side.

When I buy dressing, I like Kraft fat free Italian. It's good for stir frying veggies in too.

Suzanne 3FC
02-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Kykaree, my absolute favorite dressing is actually one from the UK! Marks and Spencer Count on Us French Dressing. Though I've heard they moved it out of their Count on Us range and now call it just Reduced Fat French Dressing. For anyone here, it isn't anything like our red french dressing, it's completely different, and had a base of white grape juice, mustard, etc. I loved it on a salad with lettuce, some shredded cabbage, raisins, and sunflower seeds.

Pookie, please tell me what you do in your raspberry craze :D Mom gave me a bottle of raspberry balsamic and I don't know how best to use it.

Only Me, I like the salsa and yogurt idea!

POOKIE88
02-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Only Me -- your two yogurt recipes sound very good and very easy.

Both you and Boiaby (Bev) mentioned the Fat Free Zesty Italian -- I'll have to give that a try!

Suzanne, I would LOVE to help you but whenever I am in the kitchen it always turns into an episode of "I Love Lucy". I have no idea how to cook or combine things etc. Thank goodness for toaster ovens and microwave ovens. I just shove things into them and cross my fingers.

I have not opened the bottle of the Raspberry Balsamic vinegar yet. The main reason why I brought it was because I happened to go to another store (not my usual store) and they had many more "exotic" or "gourmet" items. I knew they did not have the Raspberry Balsamic vinegar in my regular store so I decided to buy it when I had the change.

I also brought it because I was liking the Newman Light Raspberry Walnut a little bit toooo much! :hat: "Pour me more Salad Dressing Please!" :lol: Even though it is Light it does have fat in it. So I was hoping that just having the vinegar around might help me cut back a bit on the fat.

Hopefully someone else will jump in with some ideas for your Raspberry Balsamic.
Can you marinate with it?
Or Would it taste good if you put just a pinch of oil with it and put it on a salad that way? :chef: --Wolfgang Pook

scorpiobby20
02-14-2005, 03:07 PM
I have quite a few recipes using the raspberry balsamic vinegar! Here is just one let me know if you need more, I will post some for you!

4 whole portobello mushroom caps
2 tablespoons rasp. balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon basil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Mix together the vinegar, oil, garlic, basil, and seasonings.
2. Place the mushroom (smooth side down) in a baking dish
3. Pour the dressing over the mushrooms
4. Allow to marinate for 10 minutes, turning once
5. Grill for 5-7 minutes, turning once
6. Slice and serve on salads, sandwich or pizza!

When it is nice and we have a bbq grill going i make these on it. But it also works great on a George Foreman Grill! :D

I hope you enjoy this! :hun:

kykaree
02-14-2005, 05:42 PM
I'll check out the Marks and Spencer range, we have one near the tram stop, when I am in need of a chocolate fix I pop in and get a box of fresh cherries, so much nicer than chocolate!!!! In summer I will start making my own vinegars, like raspberry, I really like bottling and preserving. Thanks for the tip Suzanne.

Suzanne 3FC
02-15-2005, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the recipe! The mushrooms sound delicious! I've done something similar with a plain balsamic, so this will be a treat. When I grill the mushrooms with regular balsamic, I serve them on a hearty bun with a slice of roasted red bell pepper, and a slice of good parmesan cheese. Yummy :)

Kykaree, I spent a year in Lincolnshire, and I did notice the serious lack of variety in salad dressings and some other things. Even soap was limited. They had a 3 x 3 foot soap section, where we have an entire aisle of soap to choose from :lol: But, while your options were not as varied, I did notice that the quality of food there was a lot better. Our ready meals are so highly processed that you can't always be sure what you have without reading the label! :?:

kykaree
02-15-2005, 03:42 AM
We do good convenience food in this country, probably too good, as many people just don't cook any more. I very rarely eat convenience food. Up here in the North of England I think it's even worse than down south, in terms of food variety, you hardly ever see new lines in shops.

I miss my Australian salad dressing, Red Kelly. It is produced by a couple, it is low in fat, and gorgeous. I brought two bottles back with me last year, and have almost finished them.

mnemosyne
02-15-2005, 11:50 AM
I use a very small amount of salad dressing when I use any, but although I tend to favor simple balsamic vinagrettes (or some of the fat-free yogurt tricks posted above), I really like Cascade Farms' Sun-Dried Tomato Vinagrette. I also like to pick up some antipasto from the antipasto bar at the local grocery store (I prefer the sweet italian peppers and whole marinated garlic cloves or button mushrooms), chop up a few pieces, and use those as a salad dressing. I wouldn't recommend the antipasti as a snack - slicked in oil, they have too much fat to eat many of them - but they bring alot of flavor and are great as salad dressing. Alternatively (if I've been doing that too much), I'll pick up an assortment of antipasti pickled in vinager rather than marinated in oil - more bite, no fat - and toss them with some good greens and a drizzle of olive oil.

Finally, I like to "dress" fresh spinach with a few chopped hearts of palm (packed in brine or vinager - not the marinated ones). I love the flavor, and I think the canned hearts of palm taste better than canned artichokes. They're sweet and mushy and nutty and feel quite extravagent. They're a bit expensive, so I make them last a while, chopping one or two for the salad each night for the week, and keeping the rest in a plastic container in the fridge. I'm really addicted to this. When I really need a treat, I'll add quartered artichoke hearts, a sprinkle of fresh parmesan, chopped sun-dried tomatos, and some good fresh olives. So delicious! Between the hearts of palm and the spinach, you won't need a dressing - and the mushy texture of the inside of the hearts of palm tends to spread over the spinach leaves.

POOKIE88
02-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks Ladies for all the great ideas!

I also found a crumbled Feta Cheese with some herbs mixed in. I sprinkle just a pinch on top of some of my salads. :cheese: --Pookie

some1shy
02-15-2005, 05:28 PM
i like paul newmans..olive oil and vineagar.... but they dont have that one in the uk so i have to end up stocking up on it when go home in april lol.. but when i dont have that i get what i can get here which is paul newmans italian dressing... i am not much a salad person.. my mother-in-law makes a good dressing with balmic vingar.. with some olive oil and a pinch of salt

RaineyMae7133
03-10-2005, 08:46 PM
My husband bought me a bottle of fat free balsamic vinegarette from Safeway grocery store, and it's really good. It was the store brand. I also like Kraft Light Done Right Italian, it has a couple grams of fat, but it's really good, too. :)

katia
03-11-2005, 01:46 AM
I love the Paul Newman Oil and Vinegar dressing, but in an effort to save a few calories I tried the Paul Newman Light Balsamic Vinaigrette. It has a sharper flavor than the oil and vinegar dressing, but it's very good. 2 tbsp have 45 calories and I find even that is often too much dressing.

I also really enjoy drizzling the light balsamic vinaigrette over slices of tomato and fresh mozzarella.

MsMonty
03-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Galeos Cafe has three dressings available. I bought all three and like the honey mustard and the Caesar.

http://www.galeoscafe.com/products.html

MISO CAESAR
DRESSING
MARINADE & DIP

Our very low fat MISO dressing/marinade and dip is the World's best choice for salads, fish, chicken, meat, and is the World's best marinade for cooking, made only with fresh and natural ingredients. Pure MISO fermented soybean paste with generous amounts Anchovies, Capers, Mustard, rice vinegar, Pure Olive oil, canola oil and other fine ingredients.

One taste and you will know why this dressing/marinade and dip deserves the title of the World's best.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 tbsp. (15g)
Servings per Container 22
Calories 14
Calories from fat 10

*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Amount/serving

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Fat 1g
Sat. Fat 0.12g
Cholest. 0mg
Sodium 55.6mg % DV*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.5%
1%
0%
2%
Amount/serving

Total Carb. 0.7g
Fiber 0.5g
Sugars 0.5g Protein 0.5g % DV*

0.18%
2%

Vitamin A 0% - Vitamin C 0% - Calcium 0% - Iron 0%

ellenuw
03-12-2005, 05:13 PM
I know it sounds a little weird, but I like to make my own hummus (canned garbanzo beans, lots of garlic, a little of the liquid and a squeeze of lemon in the food processor) and mix with balsamic vinegar for a great salad dressing.

AAliceI
03-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Mushrooms sound good but would have to use alot less oil for WW Core

Shopaholic
03-16-2005, 04:24 AM
I didnt see anyone mention Wishbone's Red Wine Vingarette. It's got 35 calories (2 Tbs), and zero fat, zero calories for fat. It's fantastic stuff really. Tastes sweet with little bite to it. Great stuff, goes horrible with croutons (more motivation not to have any!) and I've found it works for me.

I also like Ken's Lite Northern Italian dressing (I use 1 Tbs and it's 25 calories) it's a light colored Italian, with tiny bits of seasonings and cheese in it. It's got 5gs of fat per 2 Tbs so if you're a 1 Tbs user it's half that.

teckeygirl
03-16-2005, 10:50 AM
In recently tried the newman's light raspberry and walnut and its great! It goes SO far because its so flavorful and I find that vinagrette dressings are so much easier to portion out because they mix better than creamier kinds.

I also found a caesar dressing I like. The Kraft Caesar Vinagrette dressing thats part of their "special collections" isnt listed as low-fat, but its only 5g of fat per 2 Tablespoons. Which is the same as the newman's light. I LOVE Caesar dressing and have been looking for a decent substitute for awhile (I tried the kraft fat free caesar-italian one and didnt like it)

Also - anyone found a good light honey mustard? I love the stuff as a dip and especially on chicken sandwiches. My mom said that O-Charley's has some dressings in the refrigerated section and she loves their light honey mustard, but I've had trouble finding it around here. Any suggestions?

POOKIE88
03-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Hey Teckey,

I am glad you enjoyed the Paul Newman's Light Raspberry & Walnut, that is my favorite right now (and also the Ken's Light Raspberry & Walnut).

I don't know about a store brought Light Honey Mustard, but just yesterday I had the Manderin Chicken salad at Wendy's and instead of having the full fat oriental sesame dressing that usually comes with it I asked for their LOW FAT Honey Mustard dressing instead and it was very good. Be careful though because they also have a "regular" honey mustard so make sure they give you the low fat version. I did not use the little packets of almonds and oriental noodles that they give you. I was surprised the salad that I had yesterday had chicken that was very moist and it tasted very good. Sometimes the chicken on the McDonalds's salads can be dry.

--Pookie

Shopaholic
03-24-2005, 03:45 AM
I bought Bernstein's Basil Parmesan tonight. It's pretty good. 100 calories for 2 tbs. That's half the calories in Ranch or Cesar types.

teckeygirl
03-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Pookie that is so funny!!! I just had one of those salads this week before I read this thread and was coming on here to tell you guys about it!! The honey mustard was Great! It was reminiscent of Chili's Restaurant Honey Mustard that comes with their chicken crispers. I used to get these a lot in high school, so that salad now fills one of my cravings!!!

I did manage to find the low fat O'Charley's honey mustard at Walmart and tasted it last night. It seemed pretty good, I'm going to try it sometime this weekend and I'll let you know if it stands up. :)

Also - about that salad - I tried a few almonds on it and wasnt impressed. So I gave the acket to my kids and let them eat them. the rice noodles I actually did use. for 60 cal/ 2g fat it was worth it, to me. I like having different textures in my salad. total with the noodles and dressing the salad is 340cal and 7g fat. And it was really pretty filling. I think I'm going to ask them for an extra dressing packet next time to save for home use :)

By the way, in case anyone goes to Wendy's to get their grilled chicken sandwich... their sandwich is 360cals and 7g of fat. However - by simply asking for a regular bun instead of the kaiser bun, it cuts 40cal and half a gram of fat. And if you cut the sauce on it.. it cuts another 35cal and 2g of fat. It ends up being 285cal/4.5g fat. Not bad :) I figured this out because I dont really like the kaiser bun in the first place.

Gina

POOKIE88
03-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Shopaholic, That Wishbone Red Wine Vinagerette sounds interesting I will give that a try. I am just so hooked on the Raspberry Walnut right now.
I was glad because my store was out of the Newmans light Raspberry Walnut for awhile but they just got it back so I grabbed it.

Gina, I really like the Wendy's Mandarin Chicken salad. I like it much better than the McDonald's salads where the chicken is sometimes too dry and I really do like the Wendy's low fat honey mustard too. Unfortunately there are not as many Wendy's as McDonalds so I have to travel farther to get there.
Like you I leave the almonds off, but I sometimes do throw on a few of the oriental noodles for the crunch. You also mentioned the Chilli's honey mustard--I have not been there for a few years but we used to get the Chilli's house salad with the honey mustard dressing and it was so good!

Wendy's Mandarin Chicken is where I got the idea to buy some containers of mandarin orange slices to throw on the salads I make at home sometimes.
They add a nice touch of sweetness and I like the moisture they add as well.
I try to pick the bagged salads that have the carrots and radishes etc to add an extra crunch to the salad.

One other thing I discoverd this week that I am enjoying throwing onto my salads. I found a brand (Mt Olive) of no sugar added Bread & Butter pickle slices and no sugar added sweet gherkin pickles --they are both made sweet with Splenda instead of sugar and they both taste great on salads or as a snack. I just had some of the bread & butter pickle slices in my tuna salad and it was great. Last night I had a couple of the sweet gherkins as a snack. --Pookie

DJ
03-28-2005, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=teckeygirl]\

I also found a caesar dressing I like. The Kraft Caesar Vinagrette dressing thats part of their "special collections" isnt listed as low-fat, but its only 5g of fat per 2 Tablespoons. Which is the same as the newman's light. I LOVE Caesar dressing and have been looking for a decent substitute for awhile (I tried the kraft fat free caesar-italian one and didnt like it)
QUOTE]

I hate all the fat free low cal creamy type dressings, since i was on a low carb diet for a while I started buying the Kraft low carb caesar and ranch which taste good to me. Since these dressings are very thick I divide the dressing up in two bottles and then add and equal portion of water. So I get a lot more for my buck without that sharp low cal taste. I also think this coats the salad much better for a lot less calories. To me two table spoons of thick dressing does not go very far on a dinner size salad. I also have a skinny friend that gets her dressing on the side and lightly dips each bite in the dressing she claims to use a lot less this way.

Shopaholic
03-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Honey Mustard Dressing
2 WW points for the whole recipe

1/2 cup plain non fat yogurt
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1 Tablespoon Honey

Mix all ingredients together.

MICHELLE'S NOTES: The whole thing is only 2 points and I don't see how anyone could eat THAT much dressing on their salad! You might want to add another tablespoon of honey to suit your taste but be sure to add the extra point. I mix it up and leave it in the fridge and mark off 2 points from my flex points and use it during the week. That way no matter how much I use I have already counted the points. If you like poppy seeds you can add some in there too!

Since I saw some discussion in here about honey mustard dressing I took this from the group i post in (300+ recipes) It said from Michelle K. I thought you'd enjoy this recipe to make homemade Honey Mustard dressing.

POOKIE88
03-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Thanks Shop,

Sounds like a quick and easy way to make the honey mustard.

--Pookie

LowCntryDrmr
04-09-2005, 12:23 AM
There is a dressing called Portmann's Light Italian...it's sooooo good and it tastes EXACTLY like regular italian dressing. The best part is that it has no fat and only 15 calories in 2 tablespoons. It's relatively inexpensive too.

stacy123
08-07-2005, 08:45 PM
I love the Newman's Own Light Honey Mustard Salad Dressing (70 cal., 4g fat per 2 Tbsp). It is very zesty, and a little goes a long way.

mdchick
09-21-2005, 07:06 PM
Annie's Naturals Low Fat Gingerly Vinagerette (40 cal)
and
Kraft's Special Collection Roasted Red Pepper Italian (35 cal)

Are both absolutely divine!

claudius753
09-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi there, new here. Not a fat chick, but I am a fat dude and came upon this site from diet-blog.com

I didn't see it posted elsewhere in this message, unless I missed it, but I had to let you know about "Walden Farms" dressing.

I have tried the Ranch, which I don't like at all, and the Creamy Bacon, which is excellent. Best of all, 0 fat, 0 carbs, and 0 CALORIES! I found the stuff in the "Specailty Food" section at my local store instead of with the other dressings. I will have to try the Newmans stuff too.

EDIT: I just saw that the most recent post in the next forum up (Nutrition) is entitled "Walden Farms..." oops :lol:

leachalami
09-29-2005, 12:52 AM
I agree with pookie, the raspberry dressings are yummmy!

My fav so far is

Raspberry Walnut
Spring greens
Mandrin Oranges
Red onion pieces
A sprinkle of feta
toasted sunflower seeds

YUM!

happydaisy
09-29-2005, 03:14 PM
kykaree - have you tried ordering online? Some of the things that I loved when I lived in the Pacific Northwest that aren't available here, I just order online and have shipped. I order a few things at a time so I can save on shipping and don't do it often, but anything is better than a naked salad. :barf:

Pookie - I love feta!! Especially the garlic and herb kind. Yun!! :smug: I love a little of it browned over asparagus in the oven too. It makes asparagus palatable for me. :lol:

tickleyourfancies
10-03-2005, 08:27 AM
I do the low carb..so, I have to use other options...
I love Ken's steakhouse dressing..they have a Ranch with only 1 carb, which tastes very good. I also bought an italian, which I haven't tried yet.

chick_in_the_hat
10-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Another vote for Newman's Own Lights - Rasberry and Balsamic...I find it coats great if you have your lettuce in a tupperware - dress right before you are ready to eat by putting the top back on and shaking the lettuce and dressing together - you can coat a LOT of lettuce with 2 TBS or less...low fat feta is also good stuff....mandarin oranges (packed in water).... :eating2: is it lunchtime yet?

Either dressing is also great as a grilled veggie marinade....I toss zucchini sticks, mushrooms & quartered purple onions in a plastic bag with some dressing (just enough to coat). Let it all soak for a 1/2 an hour or so then grill on a BBQ or GF type grill. It helps if you have a rack to make turning easier. Good Stuff!!

flipafart
10-04-2005, 08:49 PM
I just throw a little cottage cheese on top

Beachin'
10-16-2005, 10:37 PM
I found one called The Ginger People Ginger and Sesame Vinaigrette and Marinade. It's very tasty, and has 3.5 g fat per ounce. Serving size is per ounce, not tablespoon. Probably because it's also a marinade. And sugar is 2.5 g. It does have a bite to it, though.

Heather
10-24-2005, 01:41 AM
I often don't use dressing -- I crumble a little feta cheese on top. Works best on the salads I bring to work because I toss them REALLY well. Little bits of feta cheese on everything. Heavenly!