Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:02 PM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia #135

I'm here ... barely! Spent all of yesterday in Nashville. Left here at 9:30 A.M. and didn't get home until 9 P.M. I had an 11 A.M. Dr. app. with the Rheumatologist and then went shopping. Had a lot of stuff to pick up for Couple's Garden this weekend (a thing we're doing for the couples at our church for Valentine's Day). Plus, went to Life Way Christian Bookstore ... I could spend a whole day in there (nearly did!) We are using glass plates and real coffee cups, etc. for this shindig and we didn't have any of that stuff in our kitchen at church so I'm having to round it all up. What a chore. But it's going to be a big deal and we want it to be perfect...

Mima ... hope Brad is doing OK! Give us a progress report! Glad you're report wasn't too serious!

Tammy ... how's the wrist? Are you going to be able to go back to work next week?

I guess Joanne is running around in circles about now!

Mary ... congratulations on the pound lost ... that's sure better than gaining 3!!! At the rate of losing a pound a week or gaining 3 ... that would make a difference of weighing 52 pounds less by the end of one year (or ... weighing 156 pounds MORE!) My MOTO that I actually LIVE by is ... if it doesn't TASTE good and I don't really want it ... DON'T EAT IT!!! Also ... if I'm not hungry - I don't eat. And even if I'm hungry and I don't want a certain food that's in front of me, I won't hardly eat it ... unless - it's something I need for my anemia ... like meat or something. (My blood is super low and without that, I'd die.) Anyway ... that's just some tips ... I've lost 40 pounds and it's staying off ... just thought I'd pass that on.

It's raining here ... so ... after yesterday ... you know how I'm feelin'!!! (Like I just saw the back side of a Mac Truck!)

There's an "edited" on this because I sent it and then saw the picture on the side of that girl with her butt stuck up in my face with the jeans on. I bet I tried on 20 pairs of jeans yesterday and they were all too short waisted! UGH!!! I finally settled for a pair of Duck Head Twills in size 12 long ... even the 14 jeans didn't fit! HELP! What brand jeans do you all wear??? I've got 2 pair of Lees but they are too short waisted and hurt when I sit!

Last edited by MemeToo; 02-09-2005 at 01:12 PM.
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 07:28 PM   #2  

Default Hey There

Meme- I think they are making all the jeans short waisted now. I haven't been able to find any that fits to the waist.. I wear them and leave my top out or in depending how I feel.. Heck I will be 72 in march. What does it matter. as long as they are comfortable..The size 12 are always large in the waist for me. But ,I don't like tight clothes.
I lucked out on this wedding. I so far only have to make a salad for the night before.I have my clothes ready and my hubbys. That was a lot of fun.. He hates dressing up and wearing a tie..Tooooooooo Baaaad!!!My daughter went out and made her hubby get new clothes to look nice too. Ofcourse he has lost a lot of weight and needed them..He has been on S/B/adkins diet.I guess you can say we ganged up on them.
See ya later...Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:22 PM   #3  

Joanne, when I asked if you has warned your son, I meant about my singing at his wedding! I didn't know if you had told him yet.

Meme, the Valentine's Day thing sounds like fun. I'm like you when I shop. Sometimes I could stay in one store most of the day.

I really don't like that girl's butt staring me in the face all the time!
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:13 AM   #4  

Good morning. Brad got into his room-he wasn't in the ICU for a day but he is uncomfortable.And he's afraid the pain med will make him sick so he's only taking Tylenol. I got upset with my son yesterday because he said my stress was over because Brad was in his room. Yikes!!! I told him I am 66 years old and I have to take care of my husband. So then he offered to help him leave the hospital-that's better. I guess I am just plain scaredof all that I have to do and I am 66. Of course, I have sinus trouble because I have been eating bread and IBS and my back hurts. Whine whine-I can whine with you guys. But I did sleep better last night and have my plan for today and that;s the only day I can live in. And God is taking care of us. Brad's church sent our teacher to visit Brad but we couldn/t get in the room so he viisted me instead. One of my concerns is that he has to be careful on his diabetes diet and we never were careful-just cautious. So I will have to plan better. Thay gave us a great book and I can get more.Joanne-have fun. Meme-that dinner sounds great. We were going to a dinner tomorrow night but we gave away our tickets-hope someone can go. I also had to cancel the conference for March and we will get half our money. Our friends are coming down in April and we all will go home together, That's a relief/ They are so nice. We have to wait til we can park in the back because we live on the second floor of the house and there are less steps in the back. Bye for now-hey, I'll get an elevator like Meme, Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #5  

Default Hey There

Tammy- I didn't tell him but I will. I will just be glad when this week is over.. I have eat too much salt and my weight is up. Nerves does funny things to us. I will get the message tonight at Tops. I will not eat or drink all day maybe that will help..I had some cereal that should hold me.
Mima- Don't worry. Brad should do fine.. I know being diabetic it is a worry when it comes to healing.They should have him up walking today..Or really should have already.April will be here before you know it..
Hello everybody..Got lots to do. My daughter and family coming tomorrow. Brother coming from Az. today, so I better get the vacumn busy..Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:36 AM   #6  

I just bought a book called, Diabetes for Dummies. Since Bob has been diagnosed with it, I thought it would be good for both of us. There are recipes in it. I haven't tried any yet though.

Give Brad our best, and tell him he needs to listen to the doctor AND you!!!

Joanne, I am so excited about the wedding and the family getting together! I know I won't be there, so I'll just be excited for everyone from Ohio.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #7  

Weddings are stressful, surgery is stressful, caring for sick people is stressfull, losing a loved one is stressful, ... life is FULL of stress every where you go. (Have my grandchildren today! ... Can you tell? - Some women have PMS ... I have grandchildren!) We all deal with stress different ways ... but the bigger percent of us deal with it by eating our way through it! (pun intended) So ... what to do? Find something else to do! 'Munch' on something else ... so to speak. It takes a lifetime of practice but it can be done! Once you realize that you are not "just going to get through this one thing and then get back to normal and start at diet and exercise plan" you can get on with the business of a lifetime of change! You will NEVER 'just get through this one thing' because something else will happen along. If not a wedding then a surgery, if not a surgery then a wedding. Because LIFE never ends! (Unless you die.) So ... if you are reading this and you are one of the 'one in five' people who are waiting until the perfect day to start a plan ... wait no more. There couldn't be a better time than RIGHT NOW!

OK ... I'm done now!

It's snowing here ... no school today. HATE THAT. I have 2 rugrats today ... DIL had a class she had to go to somewhere ... may have made that up so she wouldn't have to stay home with the kids!

This Couple's Garden Sat. night is turning out to be more than I bargained for. I've been working on stuff for days and I'm STILL not through. Someone said last night that another church in town was doing a 'couple's thing' for Valentine's on Friday night and serving the whole meal ... they suggested we might think about doing that next year. I just looked at them ... REAL HARD!!!

Old 02-11-2005, 05:09 AM   #8  

Well, we are missing the Valentine's dinner but I have a feeling, it's catered. Brad is doing well-he finally got some pain med that works. He was so grumpy-I sure understand how pain can do that. Your wedding will be nice Joanne-glad your brother is coming. It's going to be cool. Even here. My brother is stopping by with SIL and then she is going home to take care of her Dad. She is such a giver. How is your hamd/wrist Tammy? Hi to all. has anyone heard from Candice? Mima
Old 02-11-2005, 07:21 AM   #9  

Mima, so glad Brad's ok. Of course, you're concerned about all you'll have to do. A day at a time. dh had open heart 14 years ago (valve replacement) and I still remember how overwhelmed I felt bringing him home. He seemed much too weak for me to care for, so many things to do and remember and it was a week before Christmas. Felt the same way bringing him home two years ago after the kidney aneurysm. But you'll do it. And it's amazing how quickly the body can recover even from drastic surgeries. I'm with you on the diet worries though. But after two years of this crazy renal diet for dh, we have it down. It's still a hard diet but I just figured I cook for him - anyone else can eat our way or go out to eat. It's changed my eating as well and I just need to be sure I can get the things that I need and he's not allowed.

Joanne, enjoy your family and I'm so glad you got a break this time. What you did for your son's last wedding was overwhelming.

Meme, I'm with you on the stress-after-stress lifestyle. Today we meet with dialysis nurse to learn about home dialysis. Anyone who thinks I'm looking forward to this is way bemused. But I figure if he's got to do his part, I must certainly do mine. My dear friend/neighbor has her husband on it for the second time (he had a kidney transplant six years ago which has since failed) and, in a way, that sort of helps. She is younger by five years and Mima's right in that it makes a difference. She was saying how much harder it is this time around since she's ten years older than last time.

Tammy, you and Meme can do a duet at my next wedding.
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #10  

Mima, my hand is doing much better! It still hurts to write, but not like it did. I guess that means I have to go back to school on Monday.

I'm glad they finally found a medicine to help Brad. Pain does make a person grumpy.

I'm so excited Anagram!!!!! Do you have any special songs you would like Meme and me to sing??? I like Christmas songs and Disney songs if that helps you make your decision. lol
Old 02-11-2005, 01:19 PM   #11  

Tammy ... Do you know My Valentine? I'm singing that Saturday night at our Couple's Garden and already have it memorized with the sound track so I won't have to learn it.

Mima ... you'd better take care of yourself, too. I think we all push ourselves to take care of everybody else and then we wind up crashing at some point. Or am I the only one who does that?

Talking about diabetic diets ... hubby is diabetic and I just got off the phone with the nurse about being hypoglycemic - I was feeling weird again and took my sugar count - it was down in the 70s again ... she's supposed to call me back after she talks to the Dr. but she's pretty sure that there isn't anything that can be done about low blood sugar except a diet high in carbs. I couldn't help but making the comparison after I hung up the phone and thinking, "How funny!" We're kind-of like the nursery rhyme of Jack Sprat and his wife.

Jack Sprat could eat no fat
His wife could eat no lean
And so betwixt them both you see
They licked the platter clean

Only problem with all this is - I'm also severly anemic so I'd have to eat carbs AND protein ... if I do that I'll be eating 5,000 calories a day !!!
Old 02-11-2005, 09:55 PM   #12  

Meme, I think 5000 calories a day just MIGHT be a few too many. lol Send me the words and the music to My Valentine, and I'll work on learning it!!
Old 02-12-2005, 01:50 AM   #13  

VALENTINE

If there were no words
No way to speak
I would still hear you
If there were no tears
No way to feel inside
I'd still feel for you

And even if the sun refused to shine
Even if romance ran out of rhyme
You would still have my heart until the end of time
You're all I need, my love, my valentine

All of my life
I have been waiting for
All you give to me
You've opened my eyes
And showed me how to love unselfishly

I've dreamed of this a thousand times before
But in my dreams I couldn't love you more
I will give you my heart
Until the end of time...

And even if the sun refused to shine
Even if romance ran out of rhyme
You would still have my heart until the end of time
'cause all I need is you, my valentine

START PRACTICING!!!

Last edited by MemeToo; 02-12-2005 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:59 AM   #14  

Wow-that song is beautiful. Thanks for all your support guys. Anagram, I know how much you have to do!!! I guess we get the strength. Went to do shopping at Walmart reading labels!!! I guess I got a lot of things for Brad. I will be so happy to eat my own food. Brad may come home today and Mike is going to help me. The kids are being weird-Bobby hasn't called -I have called him-Mike and Jill never went to the hospital but have been on the phone with us-Suzanne has been very concerned Is this a gender thing? It seems like they don't understand how hard this is and I just need thier support-not that I don't have it. Mike and Jill are great but maybe this is not their thing. See, I know where I can whine. I just don't get it. But I have to say my brother and SIL are fantastic and so are the church people. Feedback? Mima
Old 02-12-2005, 07:34 AM   #15  

Mima, I don't know what to tell you about the "lack of concern". When my dad had surgery, we were all there with my mom. Sometimes it's hard for people to deal with something that serious. Maybe they are in a denial stage?

Meme, could you hum it for me so I'll know the tune?