Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-08-2005, 05:27 AM   #1  
Maintainer-to-be

S/C/G: 214/170/154

Height: 5'8" / 1.72 m

Default More or less reps?

Hello hello

4 times a week I do weight training (with machines, not free weights) and when I started out 3 months ago my instructor told me to do 3 sets with 12 reps and in the last set lift until I couldn't lift anymore. I'm getting a bit tired of all those reps now, it doesn't feel like I'm making as much progress as I'd like (I do increase the weights when needed, and I have increased them a *lot* or so it seems..). I read a tip from a trainer that you should instead do one big set with 20-25 reps. I just feel that I might get bored with the lifting lifting lifting and I'm thinking about increasing the weights and decreasing the sets.

I realise that there might be a neverending debate on this issue but I'd still like some ideas.. What do you think?

Thanks!

/Ann-Charlotte
silvernight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:02 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Ann-Charlotte -- It's not really a debate, it's more of a personal choice, IMO... I can't stand to do more than 12 reps, it drives me to boredom ... I tried to do higher reps last week and I did NOT like it at all, firstly I didn't get sore at all, I personally like to be sore the day afer al workout, because I feel that I have actually done something...

This is what I do: I do a total of 4 sets, first set I do 12 reps, second with more weights - 10 reps, third more weights again - 8 reps, 4th set 6 reps with more weights again.... I gain strength this way too because the last set is only 6 reps I push really hard, if the weight is so heavy that I can only do 4 reps, then that's ok, the next time I aim for 6reps... I write my workouts down in a book to keep track and always try to up my weight the next time I work that body part again instead of doing MORE reps......

Why do you work only with machines? Doing a change over to freeweights with some machines thrown in for variety, would give you the progress you need and are probably looking for...

Last edited by Ilene; 02-08-2005 at 07:06 AM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:25 AM   #3  
Maintainer-to-be

S/C/G: 214/170/154

Height: 5'8" / 1.72 m

Thanks for your reply, Ilene! Think I'll try a new routine this evening then and see how I get on.

To be honest, the reason that I never use free weights is that I don't know where to start (that can be fixed by getting help from an instructor of course) but more importantly, it all seems so daunting and standing there amongst the big muscly creatures who moan and grunt doesn't appeal to me at all (you're talking to the girl who abandoned her power yoga class because all the grunting and breathing drove her nuts and creeped her out hehe), I would feel so out of place and self-conscious. Silly, I know, but that's the real reason.

I feel a lot more at home with the machines, and I know that I won't do the exercises incorrect using them. So I think I'll stick to them but I'll definitely lower the reps and up the weights.

/Ann-Charlotte
silvernight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:31 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

As you get more comfortable to your gym and the "grunters" , you;ll eventually feel more at ease in the freeweight area... Don't be shy, Grunter started somewhere at one point too, and he/she will be more than happy to help you... BUT a certified trainer would be your best bet because he would show you proper form...

Here's a myth about machines, I feel, they are NOT geared towards the shorter woman, they are made for taller people, mostly men, and sometimes you are actually doing the exercise wrong because the machine is too big...

Just my 2 cents ...
Old 02-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've gone through many periods of doing more or less reps. What I did initially was the standard 3x12, reaching failure usually right at the last rep in the last set. Then I did 4x12, usually reaching failure on 12 of the 3rd set and probably 8 or so of the 4th. Then I did 4x12, reaching failure between 6-10 of the 3rd and 4th sets. Now I am actually doing 4x15 (sometimes 20 in the first set), reaching failure between 10-15 of the 3rd and 4th sets. I kind of like what I am doing now because it makes me feel not guilty about not warming up first.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:23 PM   #6  
Mel

Slowly move away from the machines....

The high rep-lower weight vs. higher weight-lower rep issue really isn't a debate at all. It is a question of what are you training for? Muscles respond differently to different types of training.

Keeping reps in the 10-15 rep range is good for striking a balance between training for increase in muscle size and strength. Rest for 40-60 seconds between sets or super-sets. As a woman, if you have fairly normal hormones, you aren't going to develope huge muscles, so don't worry about looking like Mr. Olympia himself.

If you want to train for sheer strength like a power lifter, keep your reps under 8, generally doing sets of 8-6-6-4 with 2-3 minutes rest between. This method of training will develop larger muscles, greater strength, and is incredibly BORING. Very effective if you are going to enter a bench pressing competition, however.

If you are training for endurance, and do not want to build muscle mass (you are a marathon runner and can't afford to be toting along ANY extra body mass) you would want to go with higher reps and lower weights. Up in the 20-30 rep range. You will build some muscle, but you'll mostly be building endurance.

Another way to train is to mix it all up. Do pyramid sets (8-10-12-15 reps), drop sets (reverse), train high volume-low weight one week and high weight- low volume, the next.

So the debate isn't "what's the best way to train", but "what is my goal in training?" Your body will react differently to different types of training. The same goes for doing cardio. If you practice doing 100 meter sprints with long rests between each, you are not going to do real well at a 10K race. If you train doing paced distance runs, you aren't going to be a good sprinter.

Pick your goals, then train to meet them.

For overall conditioning, body sculpting and weightloss, I'd recommend staying in the 10-15 rep range, lifting as heavy as you can, incorporating supersets, and move away from the machines! Ilene is right- a lot of them just can't be adjusted for small to mid-sized women. If you have 1 stronger side (and everyone does), they don't help you develope a symmetrical physique. They don't help you develope balance or core strength. You'll eventually get really bored with the scope of the workouts that you can do on them. Find a knowledgeable trainer or gym buddy to show you proper form on some free weight exercises. They really are more fun

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks Mel I knew you'd clear things up... That was a great explanation...
Old 02-09-2005, 02:53 PM   #8  

Boy this is a very timely thread for me.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou Mel & Ilene, I'm printing this, highlighting your responses and handing it to my personal trainer. He hasn't gotten the idea yet that I REALLY want to learn to use the free weights/move out of my comfort zone into the "big boy area" and he keeps steering me to the machines. If this doesn't get the message across then I will just have to change trainers. I actually started thinking this morning that I was paying him and maybe I should listen to what he was saying and just go ahead and use the machines for a while. But that is not why I got a personal trainer, I needed someone to teach me to use the free weights safely so I can have more confidence when I workout at home. I love working out with my own equipment but I was finding myself holding back because I was not confident I was using proper form. He's a nice kid and I like meeting with him before I go into work but if I have to I'll endure the after work crowd and keep searching until I can find a trainer who understands how serious I am and that I want to learn to properly use the f r e e w e i g h t s.

Mucho gracias,

Last edited by EofAZ; 02-09-2005 at 02:59 PM.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #9  

Default Free Weights.....

Hi everyone....

Being a huge fan of any type of exercise, I was drawn to this conversaton.

Some good advice on here. Just let me add that once you learn to use free weights correctly you have that for the rest of your life. Recently we bought Natilus weights for our home gym, no more waiting in line at Ballys
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:06 AM   #10  

Hey EofAZ - you go girl! I don't know how much trainers charge in your area but around here they are around $40/hour (most of it going to the gym but still, a lot of money), and I see a lot of guys training women who just don't seem to think much effort is required. Well at that price - you deserve a good trainer who LISTENS to you and shows you those free weights! Let us know how it goes okay?
julesrules is offline   Reply With Quote