Side Dishes - Phase 1 - Slow-Cooked Zucchini Coins with Chopped Herbs and Crumbled Feta

beachgal
02-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Slow-Cooked Zucchini Coins with Chopped Herbs and Crumbled Feta
from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

I could not get the zucchini to carmelize like she mentions in the directions, but they were cooked, and they tasted totally amazing with all the herbs and feta. I'm making this week and will try just cooking them rather than the slow cooking she describes. - Laurie

2 to 3 Tbsp olive oil
1 ½ lbs. zucchini , thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
¼ cup chopped mixed herbs—dill, basil, parsley and cilantro
½ cup crumbled feta.

Heat the oil in a wide skillet, then add the zucchini and garlic. Sprinkling lightly with salt and cook over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every so often. The finished squash should have a light golden glaze over the surface and be caramelized in places. Taste for salt and season with pepper. Toss with the herbs and cheese and serve.

Serves 4-6

sarahyu
05-10-2005, 09:40 AM
I've made this twice. It's really good but I couldn't get it to brown or carmalize either. I think that maybe zucchini has too high of a water content to do it properly. But it tasted really good anyway.

Sarah

Oh, and I didn't use the feta cheese. I used what ever cheese I had around. Once it was lowfat munster, another it was shredded soy cheese.

theherbmama3
07-20-2005, 01:38 PM
HI there! I'm very new to this site. I've lost 34 lbs since May 1, and I need to get back on track. Been cheatin' severely since July 4 weekend...

To get your squash to caramelize, slice it up (or grate, or however you are using it), and then put it between kitchen towels or papertowels and weight it down for a while. That'll squeeze out some of that extra moisture. Cook slowly and be sure not to stir too often.

HTH!

--Vikki :D