Support Groups - Way Over 40 # 13

View Full Version : Way Over 40 # 13

ageoldie
02-06-2005, 05:16 PM
http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/Valentines/ValLineAni.gif

Thought it was about time for a new thread. Only 1 more week untile Valentines... This year is already flying by

Candice: So sorry to hear about your mom.You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Siwa: We went to Santa Fe a couple of years ago. It was a very interesting trip. We have been to Albuquerque fairly often, but our favorite in that area is Flagstaff AZ That is a very interesting town.

Alice & Katey: I have read a lot of the Nora Roberts/ JD Robb books. Some of them I like, some not so much, but I did like the futuristic ones. Right now I'm reading can't think of his first name! ) Robert?? Parker He's the one who does the Spenser series, and then he has another series with a detictive name something Stone, and the one I'm reading now is a female detective call Sunny Randall. It's pretty good.

Okay Grannie Annie, you don't write OLD!!! Hope all of your doctors appointments go well,

I've been sick this weekend. I don't know if it's the stress catching up with me, or a bad sinus infection, or my SjS, but somethings got me going. This is the first time I've misses church on Sunday in I can't remember when. I'm feeling some better today, but not great!

Berniece, you still liking Florida? Has anyone heard from Elaina lately?

Well, I guess I'll end now. Have a great week.

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/Valentines/LoveCardBarb[1].g

Katey
02-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Hi all,
It's been a busy week here so I haven't had time to pop in. Looks like everyone else has been busy too.

Alice: Thanks for the WW tips. When I went they didn't have the activity points. I have increased my portions a little, but still eating healthy. I keep a check on the Florida weather. Looks like you've had a pretty nice week. Hope you're doing well.

Barb: Haven't gotten to the J.D. Robb futuristic book that I've got yet. I'm reading a Tami Hoag, Kill the Messenger. I love Robert Parker books!! Enjoy.

Siwa: How is your Italian class going?

Ann: Have you started Curves again? You're probably very busy with your music right now.

Elaina: We miss your posts! How was your trip?

Candice: Prayers are still with you. Post when you feel like it.

Bernice: Do you still have company?

A sunny but cold morning here. We had more snow on Wednesday, but at least it covered all that dirty stuff that had started to melt. It looks fresh and clean again.

Have a great weekend everyone and a Happy Valentine's Day on Monday! Try to stay away from the chocolate:)

Kate

Lizziepie
02-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Hi all: Just been busy as I guess everyone else is. I've been to Curves twice a week. I feel some twinges in incision if I go three times a week now. so am just increasing my walking on those days I don't go.

Not too much new going on with us, but it just seems the days fly by. Made some great black bean soup today, and DH doesn't like it. So I say - 'all the more for me'
Haven't even had time to do much reading lately. Been working on taxes. What a job. And I only get stuff ready for our accountant.

Hope you all have a good weekend. Ann

aleka
02-12-2005, 08:38 AM
Good morning,

I've had my best friend visiting for a few days. She is down here visiting her son, who doesn't live very far from me. So, she stayed here for a couple nights, and during the days we literally shopped until we dropped. Bernice, she & I were shopping in downtown Venice on Wed., going into those little shops on Venice Ave. We did 2 malls in 2 days. She left Fri. afternoon to go back to her son's house. They all went away for the weekend, but she'll be back there on Sun. We're planning on getting together Mon. for a last visit before she heads back to NH.

Barb, sorry to see that you weren't feeling well. Hope you're feeling better by now. I really like the futuristic JD Robb stories. Right now I'm reading Quentins by Maeve Binchey. I like her books too. I have heard of Robert Parker, but never have read his books.

Ann, we're getting some colder weather again. It got down into the mid 30's last night. Is it as cold where you are? The days are simply beautiful once the sun comes out.

Kate, please let us know if eating a bit more healthy food helps in your weight loss. I never ate my activity points because I thought that if I didn't, my weight would come of a little easier. Did you get any of that storm that hit New England on Thurs./Fri.?

Hi everyone.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
Alice

Candicej
02-13-2005, 03:05 AM
Thank you all for your condolences, means alot to me:) Trying to get through stuff of mom's I had shipped to me, lots and lots of photo's of the old days and trying to figure out who is who. I got some linens washed up and ironed, and some clothes washed and still need to be put away. I hang on to way too much stuff, always have been a pack rat! So many memories, just can't believe she is gone. I think it will hit me when I go back home and she is not there and all her stuff in the house is gone too. My brother has decided to not sell for a while, the house she left to him since he took care of her and kept it up. Mom and dad built it in 1946 and it is the only place we have called home. Nothing fancy just a two story brick on the old side of of town now. Here is a link for the house....I will have more pitures ready later. I'm in a lot of pain do to overdoing but it will slow down, had to get to the dentist for my cleaning and get the cats in for their shots, next is my gastroenterologist (sp) then the endoscopy, and then the eye doctor and then my son will be home for break again. Then time to plant flowers again! Ha! Yes I'm getting old like you all ha! Young at heart we are though:D http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/796538/peonies1.jpg

http://www.photoworks.com/share/shareLanding.jsp?shareCode=AC66FB1BA90&cb=PW

Candicej
02-14-2005, 10:55 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/796538/flowersbackdoor.jpg

Siwaoasis
02-14-2005, 11:32 AM
CANDICE--It ssounds like you're doing quite well. Teh slow method of going thru the photos is a good thing. You can relive all the good times with happy memories. Your grandparent's house looks like a fun place to have been a kid and how wonderful to have lived just next door to them. I didn't have that luxury and I would have liked that. My grandparents didn't live so very far away but still I couldn't just stop by after school. ---- I keep saying that in only 2 months I'll be back in the garden! We can dream, can't we?

KATE--My Italian class is going fantastically! I love the teacher (we all do). We are a class of 11 women and the teacher is female as well. She's very enthusiastic and bounces around the room AND---best of all I'm learning Italian. You may remember that 2 yrs ago I took Italian at the same school but with a different teacher. I didn't like his teaching style and I didn't learn to speak. We learned to read but not speak. This class is totally opposite and it's wonderful!

It's only 9:30 am and I've already had a very nice Valentine's Day. I got up at 7:00 to go to Curves and DH sprang up and immediately went outside to blow the new snow we had overnite. We had 55 degrees on Sat and snow Sunday nite! Then when I came home I found a gorgeous heather plant and card waiting for me. DH had been asking if he could take me out for dinner tonite but since I'm on a losing streak I declined. Then he asked if he could at least buy me some candy or a heart shaped cookie. I asked that all those luscious things wait for another time so he found another way around the roadblocks I kept giving him. I'm very happy with the heather plant. They are so lovely and even after I've forgotten to water them they keep their dried blooms for a very long time.

Hope all of you receive just the right things on Valentine's Day.

Katey
02-15-2005, 11:48 AM
A quick hi.....I'm looking out the window at bright sunshine and blue sky:cool: Boy, that makes me feel good! It's supposed to get into the high 40s today. It's really been feeling like spring is around the corner, but I know not to get my hopes up. We've had some real bad snowstorms in April.

Candice: Your flower pictures just add to my good mood! They're beautiful! I can't wait to be able to get in my garden again. This year I'm planning a whole new area. Got to start looking at catalogs.

Siwa: Glad that you're enjoying your class. It helps so much when you have a good teacher. Now you'll have to plan a trip to Italy. DH gave me a gift certificate for Valentine's Day to get a pedicure. Can't wait to use it....that's so relaxing!

Alice: Glad that you had a good time with your friend. You sure did lots of shopping....did you buy? I have been eating a little more and I lost another pound. Right now I'm just feeling so committed to my exercise. I can see a difference in how I look even though the scales aren't moving very fast. We didn't get much of that storm last week...only about 4 inches which has since melted. They predicted a lot more, but once again they were wrong:D

Ann: I love soups. We're having a soup day at work on Friday. We'll have a lentil one and a broccolli. I'm bringing in salad and someone else will make bread. No dessert for me, but they're having a cherry pie and a chocolate cake that's made in a crockpot. I hate tax time. I let DH get stuff together for that.

Well, need to get back to work. Have a wonderful week everyone. I'll check in again before my long weekend!

Hi Barb, Bernice, and Elaina:wave:

I didn't cave to chocolate yesterday...2 people gave me pieces and I passed them along to someone else:)

Kate

muffinsmom
02-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Hi all, Weather here is gorgeous and the company has started. Don't seem to accomplish much but am spending days floating in our pool which is heated to 88-delightful. Am working on decorating my bedroom and using both decorating den and calico corners.l Hope by the time we go North the house will be finished. Candace-Condolences on the passing of your Mom. I have basement of memories Between grandparents and parents on both sides. Picture albums and loose pictures in bags, I know I will never organize them. I laugh when I go to antique stores and see other families pictures for sale and fiqure that's where all our stuff will land up in a estate sale and maybe on someones walls. LOL
Alice,Haven't forgotten you but dd and friend have been here and the middle daughter and husband and delicious Eric the wonderful are coming Friday so it will be at least another week before i CALL. gLAQD YOU HAD YOUR FRIND OVER. Going b ack in the pool- Just think it's Feb 15th-Yeah! Bernice

Siwaoasis
02-15-2005, 09:15 PM
BERNICE--How fun to have your own pool--and even better how great to be using it in February. I've always dreamed of having a pool. I don't like the neighbors having a pool cuz it causes the kids to scream a lot--even tho they're in high school now.

Lizziepie
02-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi everyone:
Candice: Loved your flower photos, and also your family home looks like a nice cozy place to grow up in. Glad you are doing well. I know it is a harad thing to lose your Mother. Been there done that, but as you say photos, and memories keep her alive.
Nice snow, but glad I'm in Fl, without any.

I still haven't made it to the pool. It is so crowded, since we are sharing it with the park next door, who lost their clubhouse and pool from the hurricanes. And I do like it warm, before I go in. Just a hot house posy, I guess.

I caved with some dark chocolate for Valentines day, but that is supposed to be good for one, if you don't go overboard.

Kate: Congratulations on your 'won't power'.

Berneice: Guess you are finding out that Florida living draws company like a magnet. But it is fun.

Siwa: A heather plant sounds very nice. My poor DH asked me what I'd like for Valentines day, and then proceeded to put it all right out of his mind. So we went out for dinner to a Japanese restaurant, where they cook right in front of you. It was fun, and not too bad in the diet department.

Our shsow rehearsals are coming along nicely. We only have about 3 full weeks of good rehearsal time. Then it is down to the wire. I enjoy doing it, but am always glad when it is finally over.

Tomorrow 3 of us are going to a Showtime day. A place where we can preview performers acts, to see if there is anyone that we would like to book for our activities. That is my job now, and it is a chore on one hand, and fun on the other. The problem is to choose acts that most people will like, not just what I like.:D:

Will check back probably Thurs. or Fri. Have some good days. Ann

Candicej
02-17-2005, 04:45 AM
I ate chocolate too!

Candicej
02-18-2005, 02:34 AM
Still eating chocolate! :p :) ;)

Did make a big pot of bean soup too!

Katey
02-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Good morning!

Candice: From the time of your posts looks like you must not be sleeping. Your soup sounds good. We're having Lentil/Barley soup today for lunch and homemade bread. The office is starting to smell sooooo good! I won't even tell you about the desserts, but I'm NOT going to have any.

Ann: Did you find some performers that you liked?
Bernice: Have fun with your grandson and family. Your pool sounds perfect.

We're back to winter. I have Monday off. Going out with friends tomorrow night to a real nice restaurant. I'm going to stick to something grilled and no sauces. Had a good weigh-in.....2 more #s gone:D

Hi Alice, Barb, Siwa:wave: Hope you're all doing well. Enjoy the weekend!

Kate

mkay
02-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Well, I fit the description...over 40! 49 to be exact.

Went back and read a few posts...snow? Yup, here too. Grey/Blue today. Our nasty weather is supposed to be Sunday/Monday.

Florida? I love it there. As of matter of fact, I will be flying in on March 10 to the 15th. Can't wait. My sister lives there and she need help with the house she just bought.

I WAS on the SB diet last year and did quite well. I probably gained back about 8-9 pounds. I just can't seem to get a grip and get back on it. It's that sugar stuff...love sugar and anything sweet!

Later...

Siwaoasis
02-18-2005, 04:45 PM
KATE--Finally I had a 3.1# loss but.............that was just after returning from Santa Fe and a 1.5# gain so it really wasn't ALL loss. It certainly did feel good though. Felt good in my head, that is, cuz I was often hungry. 1500 cals just doesn't do it for making me feel comfortable but it's where I need to be in order to lose.

Hello MKAY. A few of us are still in the snow belt with you.

Any of you Floridians heard of "The Villages" ? I saw an ad of theirs and checked out the website. Life there sounded like so much fun that I sent for their complimentary CD tour.

Tomorrow is my sister's b'day and darn her! she's still not 50. I wish she'd hurry up and meet me in the 50's before I have to leave. I hate being the only "OLD" one in the family.

Lizziepie
02-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi All:

We found some really good acts, once we got there. Did you ever have someone give you directions to go somewhere, supposedly a shortcut, and then it takes you longer because the directions leave out something, and you get totally frustrated? That is a picture of our Wed. We drove around in circles, trying to follow the directions. We left home at 8:30 a.m. expecting to arrive at 10:00a.m. and we finally arrived there at 12:30, starving, needing to go to the bathroom, and totally frustrated. But once we heard these four acts, it made the trip and frustration worth while, and I must say we did have a lot of laughs. What else could we do, as we are driving around in the real Florida Cracker country - the true boonies-.
We finally found out that there are two roads with the same name, and we kept taking the wrong one and going around in circles. :stress: :eek: :yikes:
:shrug:And he didn't tell us that.
DH had his iron this a.m. and then we went for breakfast. The traffic around here is so bad because of road construction, that it took us two light changes to get across the road, as cars would block the intersection. More frustration.
I usually go to line dancing on Friday night but was just too tired. :yawn: as yesterday a.m. was up early to go and sit with a friend while her husband had surgery.

And I am still having 1 dark chocolate miniature bar a day. But I tell myself that dark chocolate is very healthy.

Welcome MKay: This is a good group, and I'm sure you'll like us. Our
neighbors are from Williamton MI.

I expect to get in my jammies soon and just relax with my book. Have a great weekend. Ann

aleka
02-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Happy Saturday everyone,

Last week I got a phone call from a couple, they're our age, that have a summer cottage on the street where DH & I lived in NH. They've bought a place in North Port and will be here until spring. They remembered DH & I mentioned we were moving here, so they called information for our telephone no. I was surprised because they were more acquaintances than friends. But, now we possibly may become friends.

MKay, welcome. DH & I just moved to FL ourselves last Sept. You can't beat this weather. Are you planning on going back to SB diet? Looking forward to your posts.

Siwa, congratulations on your weight loss. I've heard of The Villages. My MIL's hair stylist moved there a few years ago. They still keep in touch and she likes living there very much. As a matter of fact, DH & I used to see signs for The Villages when we were traveling to and from FL, but we never looked into it.

Ann, it sounds as though you had quite an adventure in the boonies of FL. Glad you finally got to your destination and saw the acts you were looking for.

Kate, congratulations on your weight loss! You're doing terriffic. Hope you enjoyed your night out with friends. The soup you had for lunch sounds delicious. I love Lentil soup. DH doesn't, so I don't have it very often.

Bernice, have a great time with Eric when your family comes for a visit. I'll be looking forward to your call. Glad you're enjoying your pool. We don't have a pool. We had thought of putting one in eventually, but now we're leaning more towards putting a hot tub in a corner on our lanai, which is certainly big enough for one.:D I really don't want to tear up the yard and disturb the bird feeders.

Candice, I was watching 20/20 last night and thought of you. They were doing myths & lies about a number of things and chocolate was one of the stories. Chocolate is actually good for you, but we knew that anyway;) :lol: It's dark chocolate that's the best.

Hi Barb, hope everything is going well for you.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
Alice

muffinsmom
02-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Hi, The company is keeping us all busy and Eric is loving the beach and pool. Took him on a boat ride on Sarasota Bay-just gorgeous.
Siwa, We visited The Villages when we were researching where we wanted to settle. The Villlages has a population of about 28,000 people and about 500 scheduled activities each day. A main street that looks like Disney's street in Epcot and a town center wher4e bands play every evening and people dance in the street or sit in chairs and listen. It's in LadyLakes Fl and we didn't like4 the area because it's inland and not near the Gulf or the Atlantic. We have friends who are there and love it but I didn't care for the houses as they were so close together. You should visit however as they have inexpensive deals to try the lifestyle. Down the road is Del Webbs Spruce Run, another adult community and we stayed there. There are so many places to see in Fl and it's enought to make your head spin. We actually made 5 trips to different parts of Fl and settle in Venice. I'm sure Alice will agree with me that being on the west coast of Fl is really pretty and feels like Fl , I can tell you The Villages is more north and is horse country and doesn't feel like Fl to me at all. I know the northeast got 8 inches of snow and here it was 78 and paradise. Bernice

mkay
02-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Thank you all for your welcome!

I have been off the sugar again for 3 days and down 1 lb. I probably breathed different. :lol:

As far as FL, I would want the coast as well. DH does NOT want FL. We own property in AR NOT by any water except for the ponds we had put in.

Saturday night at a home group through our church, I sat and watched all the ladies who complain about their weight eat an average of 2-3 desserts on their plate. This visual almost made me sick. It was then, I decided NONE FOR ME! I would like to lose a few before my trip so I can wear my clothes from last summer.

Siwaoasis...Yea to the weight loss. :cb:

Lizziepie...I wish I liked the dark chocolate...but I love the milk chocolate. It's once I eat any sugar...I just crave more and more. It's better I do none. However...I've been making the Sugar Free, Fat Free Jello pudding. I LOVE it. It satisfies me big time!

Well, I probably should get to work...I've been on the computer now for a bit.

Later...

Siwaoasis
02-22-2005, 03:13 PM
MKAY--I eat lots of sugar free jello too. I often combine it w/a carton or 1/2 carton of sugar free yogurt in the same flavor. I think it makes a wonderfully creamy dessert or snack. It really helps keep me on track.

Book club met at my house last nite. Our book was "Nickel and Dimed", a non-fiction about the life of those earning low wages. I like to theme events that take place at my house so in true $7.00/hour form I served jello cut into little squares and with that I served the cheapest cookies I could find at the grocery store. It took a couple of the ladies a few minutes to "get it" but eventually all understood. I was so relaxed about the meeting all day and into the evening, which is very unlike me, and DH even noticed. I said that I should serve jello more often cuz I wasn't obsessing about having "the perfect" food item to serve. We had a good time discussing the book too.

mkay
02-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi all...well, I'm only down the 1 lb in 4 days. That's ok...it's not UP that pound. I will still fight this battle. Being away from the sugar give me a since of power over my own mind...kinda like "control." I did join a small curves-type fitness place BUT only to use the treadmill and exercise bike I saw in their facility. I won't do the circuit thing...I already did curves and didn't go that often. My heart has always wanted a treadmill and bike...so...now I will have at least access to one throughout the month. It's a small package their letting people buy into. Cool.

aleka
02-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Good morning,

Barb, I see that today is your birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :hb: :gift: Hope it's a good one.

MKay, congratulations on your weight loss. 1 lb. is really great! :cp: I found this recipe on a Weight Watchers forum on another site. Take the s/f-f/f instant pudding and add it to plain non-fat yogurt. It is so good. I make it in individual servings instead of making up the whole pkg. with 2 cups yogurt. I don't know how long it would last. I use 1/2 c. plain, fat-free yogurt and add 1 - 2 Tablesp. (according to taste) any flavor s/f-f/f instant pudding mix. 1 Tablesp. is fine, but 2 Tablesp. makes a little thicker. Vanilla is my favorite.

Siwa, Bernice is right about the west coast of FL. It could be because I"m partial to it too. My late aunt lived in the city Bernice lives, and my first trip down here was in 1964, and I've been visiting the west coast of FL since. When DH & I were down visiting my ILs last year, we looked around at model homes, in case we wanted to build. We talked with a lot of different people. One woman was born and brought up in the Miami area, moving to the west coast of FL a few years ago. She said she'd never go back to the east coast. DH & I didn't look into the Villages because we wanted to be farther south. But, it does sound like a nice place to have a house.

Bernice, glad that you're having such fun with Eric. Did you take him to Sarasota Jungle Gardens? He might enjoy that. Another fun thing is an air boat ride on the Myakka River.

Hi everyone:wave:

Hope you're all having good week so far.
Alice

Katey
02-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Hi all,
Mkay: Welcome! I'm another one who lives in the frigid north! Sugar definitely triggers my eating too. I'm doing so well right now because I gave up sweets and pasta for Lent.

Siwa: Great weight loss!

Alice: I'll jump in and say that I like the west coast of Florida too. Nice that you've now got some people you knew from NH near you. What a coincidence!

Ann: Glad you found some good acts so it was worth the confusion of the trip. I'm a milk chocolate fan. Have you ever had orange chocolate? Line dancing is a lot of fun. I took a class a few years ago. Can't get my DH to do it though :mad:

Bernice: Sounds like you're having fun with Eric.

Hi Barb and Candice:wave:

2 more #s gone....I'm on a roll for sure:D I've got to keep this momentum going. It will be harder once Lent is over.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Kate

Siwaoasis
02-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Darn you KATE--another 2# loss! wow! I only had a 1.4# loss. The only reason I had a big loss the prev week was because I had just gained the week before. I'm such a slow loser. I only dream of a 2# loss. I think the only way I can have a bigger loss is if I treadmill 1 hr/day + curves and I'm not willing to do that. 1/2 hour + Curves is about al I can handle so I must be satisfied w/my 1. something losses.

Candicej
02-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Hello mkay:D

Congrats to all you loosers! :)

I'm up a few.......too much chocolate or DH has been on the scale! :lol: Get my endoscopy done March 1rst..just routine for my barrett's.

Here is link to a picutre of my son and another med student:
http://www.joleschorders.com/stf.asp?EVENTID=7792&ID=12863283

Candicej
02-26-2005, 08:26 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/796538/flyawayballoons.gif

Happy Birthday Barb

Candicej
02-27-2005, 05:54 AM
http://my.webmd.com/NR/rdonlyres/e253vhaohgfvqcrkcziy2huo6wcwks7rz53kx2etn6kmskrjei 52ruw37uy2whpfkqvm46yqf4nbmwi3d4aqkdbmilf/FiberIntakefull.gif

Link to Fiber Chart..I printed it out to put on my fridge:D

Candicej
02-28-2005, 05:11 AM
:)

Lizziepie
02-28-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi: I've just been reading and not writing.
Kate: I like orange chocolate, and also raspberry chocolate. You know at Christmas time you can buy these orange shaped chocolate, and you rap them and they fall into sections? That was where I got introduced to the raspberry flavor. Yum.

Candice: Are the points on the fiber chart for fiber points or WW points? I'm thinking that it must be fiber totals, because I don't remember that many points for cereal.

Barb: sorry I missed your birthday. Hope it was a happy day for you.

Not much going on with me. Our chorus show is coming along nicely, and that is good since we only have about 3 weeks left. I think everyone is having fun with it. That's good.

Been keeping up with Curves, and also walking nearly every day. But the scale doesn't show anything different. Just have to keep at it. 'See' you all another day. :yawn: Ann

Katey
03-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi everybody!
Another snowy day here. For you Floridians....we have a foot or more on the ground and more on the way. I'm sure you're basking in sun and warm temps!

Ann: I know those chocolate oranges only too well :D Haven't had the raspberry, but it sounds good. Your chorus show is getting close. Fun, but work too getting everything ready. I'm sure you'll start to see movement in the scale soon. Hang in there.

Candice: How did your endoscopy go? I was waiting to hear from the eye dr. about the field of vision test that I had and just found out yesterday that I have to go back and have it redone because the computer malfunctioned:mad: So it's resceduled for tomorrow.

Siwa: Congrats on your weight loss! Don't get discouraged when you lose 1+#s. At least you're consistent. I will probably go a week or 2 now without a loss. Seems like it works that way for me. I'm a very slow loser too. You lost a lot a while back. Was it that slow then too? Because at the time it seemed to me like you did it quickly.

Hi Barb, Alice, Bernice, and Mkay:wave:

Candicej
03-03-2005, 05:26 AM
Katey..what is a field of vision test that involes a computer..I go to the eye doc next since I have to renew my license in April and need a vision test. Endoscopy went well, see the doc in a few weeks for results.

Lizzie..yes that is quick fiber reference chart.

Made some good chicken tonight...browned some chicken breast in a bit of olive oil and added some red wine viegar, broth and orange juice and cooked for awhile...yummy over rice...used garlic salt , fresh pepper and rosemary to season. No recipe..juut threw it all in and it turned out great!

aleka
03-03-2005, 07:27 AM
Hi!

Kate, good luck to you with your next field of vision test. I hate it when you've had a medical test done and for one reason or another you have to go back and have it redone.:mad: I hope everything turns out well for you. They got that snow storm in NH too. I've heard from a cousin and a girlfriend about the snow storm.That is one thing I don't miss about the Northeast.;) Congratulations on your weight loss. You're really coming along great. I'm still stuck at the 5 lb. mark.

Candice, your chicken recipe sounds delicious. When I clicked onto the link for the fiber chart, the chart was so small that I couldn't read it. Is it my computer, or is there a way to enlarge it?

Ann, I know those chocolate oranges too. I've given them to DH for Christmas before. I don't know how he can sit there and just eat 1 section a day. I'd have the whole thing gone in about 2 seconds.:lol:

Hope everyone has a great day.
Alice

Katey
03-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Good morning!
Yesterday we were about 56 and today we're in the teens! Crazy weather...it gives us hope that spring is coming then snatches it away!

Alice: I had good news from the eye doctor. My field of vision is okay. The nerves in my eyes look fine except for the one area that showed a small hemorrhage. It's just a matter of keeping track of it now to make sure that nothing changes. I have to go back in 6 months. More snow on the way. You're so lucky to be in Florida! Doing any reading? I'm enjoying the J. D. Robb futuristic novel that I'm reading. Should be able to finish it this week then I've exhausted my book supply and need to look for something else.

Candice: When they do the field of vision test, there's a computer hooked up that is supposed to save the results and print it out. It only goofed up on one eye so they did that over. I love to just throw things together in my crockpot and not really follow a recipe. In fact that's what I did this morning. It's great having dinner all ready when I get home from work. One less thing to think about.

After having DH after me for about a year, I finally broke down and am getting a new car this week. We decided on the LaCrosse. We've been looking and test driving different makes for over a month now. I'm glad to have that process over. Now that the decision has been made, I'm getting excited.

I'm doing well with eating and exercising although I've suddenly developed a real craving for more carbs. My body always seems to do that after I've been cutting back on them for a while. I gave into it over the weekend and had bagels and pancakes (not together!). Now I'm trying to be careful this week so that hopefully I can see some weight loss.

Hi Bernice, Siwa, Ann, and Barb:wave: Where are all of you? Hope that things are going well.

Take care,
Kate

Siwaoasis
03-08-2005, 12:49 PM
KATE--We had the same warm and then cold but just a day earlier. Sunday was our nice day. It reached 60 and it's only March!

I went to an opera on Sunday performed by a local group. It was fun because I understood some words after studying Italian for a few weeks now. This was in a small theater seating about 100 and subtitles were shown. I'm not a great fan of opera but I enjoy it once in a while. I'm always amazed at the strength of the voices. No matter how loudly I try to sing I can't get my voice to project like that. DH doen't like to go but I have friends who will go with me. It was a ladies day out.

Not much going on here to talk about but just stopped by to say hello.

Lizziepie
03-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi everyone: Nothing too exciting happening here. Our biggest happeneing was having to purchase a new dishwasher. The old one was making very loud grinding noises, and getting worse, so the repair guy came and after listening, said he had heard enough. Went out to his truck and then came back in with numbers to repair it. It waould have cost $389 to repair the thing. We said forget it - we'll get a new one. So we did.

Had one of the great entertainers we heard when we went on our horrible trip a few weeks ago, come for an evening. Saturday. Hew was really outstanding, and everyone who came thought so too.

I may be MIA for a while, as a friend is coming to visit, on Sat. and will be starying until Easter. I hope to be able to check in now and again.

I just finished a Nora Roberts book. Carolina Moon. Quite a mystery. Did you ever start a book, and feel like you had read it before, but can't really remember what happened, just a glimpse or tow here and there? That is what happened with this one. But I just went through and read it anyway. It is a good story. I just sort of skim over all the 'sexy' stuff, as I am more interested in the actual story and mystery.

Candice: your chicken sounds good. I experiment a lot with herbs and stuff too, and when DH asks whats for supper, I say 'an Ann special'. Have you got your report on the endoscopy yet? After one has done a test, it is h ard to have to wait for the results. But if they don't call you right away, I think that is a good sign. I got a really quick call back this fall. And you know what happened then.

Siwa: your Opera sounds like an enjoyable time. What opera was it? There are certain ones that I like better than others. Most of them are such tragedies. Except for the Marriage of Figaro.

We were expecting a lot of rain today, but it went around us. We just got a lot of wind. I am happy to say that our crape myrtle tree is starting to bud. So it no longer just looks like a dead stick.

Hello to you all. Ann

Siwaoasis
03-10-2005, 12:43 AM
ANN- It was La Boheme--a tragedy but w/a fair amount of comic relief.

Katey
03-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Good morning!

Ann: What kind of entertainment did you have? Buds on your tree....how heavenly!!! It will be a long while before we see that. It's snowing again today. Enjoy the visit with your friend!

Siwa: I love musicals, but I don't think I could sit through an opera and not understand the language. I KNOW my DH wouldn't go! I was watching the Billy Graham crusade the other night and the Bill Gaither Quartet was on. They did a beautiful song. I found out that they're coming to Rochester at the end of April. I'm hoping to go.

So, where is everyone???? Hi to all:wave:

It will be a quiet weekend for me. DH has things to do both days. I'm a little apprehensive about how my eating will go. If I'm home alone, I might tend to pick. I got some scrapbooking stuff and hope to get started on one of the many scrapbooks that I want to do. Picked up our new car on Wednesday. I love it:D

Take care,
Kate

Siwaoasis
03-11-2005, 10:39 AM
KATE--I know what you mean about being alone and eating. I relish the time alone BUT.........I also eat more. I also scrapbook and that's a very good way for me to keep away from food. My rule is to NEVER have food or drink on the table when I'm scrapping. I've heard too many stories about ruined pages and I put so much into just one page that I'd hate to have to redo it. I do have a drink holder that attaches to the table edge and that's the only way I'll have liquid anywhere near my pages. I did 4 12 X 12 books for DS and now I'm doing smaller books for my 2 young nieces and 2 young nephews. I'm not as comprehensive w/theirs as w/DS. I only do 2 pages a year for them. It's really hard to choose just 2 cuz I think they're all so darn cute. I do a birthday and one other photo. I haven't completed 2004 yet so am a little behind and the birthdays are in just a few days now.

What kinds of books are you doing?

Candicej
03-16-2005, 10:42 AM
You can click on that fiber chart and it will inlarge and you can even print it out.:D

Got to the doc this week for resutls of endoscopy, had my eyes checked had to get stronger reading glasses and stuff for my dry eye. Son will be here Sundays for break and his BD...gotta go get some sleep!;)

ageoldie
03-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Sorry it's been so long since I checked in, but life keeps getting in the way. I've had a rough month. I thought if we could make it through Feb things would get easier, well we made it though Feb, but it hasn't gotten any easier. I am still doing the job of the "shipping" department. I spend about half my time in the back office working on freight bills, posting tracking numbers and general boring but necessary work. And it's very tiring. I come home so tired, that I just don't want to do anything.

I have been reading a lot. Escapeism I thing it's called. My "diet" has been basically non-existant, but I'm still going to the health club and exercising.

Well, I'm out of time, but I did want to stop by and say hi.

Barb

Candicej
03-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Glad you stopped in barb sounds like you have been busy.............going to the health club is a positive thing! I'm not doing much in the exercise department right now but know I need to get to it........................

Candicej
03-21-2005, 06:06 AM
Ds got here safely and we will have his BD dinner Tuesday night. I decided to do a turkey breast in the crockpot, haven't done that in awhile so hope it turns out. :D

Did 30 minutes of yard work today...the first so I am sore but it felt good! :)

GI doc says biopsie ok but stay on the prilosec and try a new med called Ultrase MT 20 ( a pancreatic enzyme to help digest food) but I'm afraid to try it! :eek: Had such a bad reaction tot he Zelnorm! Gotta get my gallbladder ultra sound scheduled too.

Candicej
03-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Not getting along very well with the stomach enzyme.......

Ds back at school now........had to rest all week!!!!!!

Flourless Chocolate Cake

From The Gourmet Cookbook

Serves 10 to 12
Active time: 20 minutes
Start to finish: 2 1/2 hours
(Includes cooling)

The trick to a flourless cake is choosing what you'll use to provide the structure that flour supplies in a standard cake. Tortes, for example, typically rely on nuts or breadcrumbs. This version is outstandingly dense and rich because, in addition to the structure the eggs give, it substitutes cocoa powder for the flour. The little secret (which there is no need to share with you guests) is that it is also one of the easiest of all cakes to put together.

8 ounces good bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped
2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus additional for dusting

SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: a 10-inch (26 centimeter) spring form pan

Put a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter pan, line bottom with a round of parchment or wax paper, and butter paper.

Melt chocolate with butter in a medium metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove bowl from heat and whisk in sugar. Add eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Sift cocoa powder over chocolate and whisk until just combined.

Pour batter into pan. Bake until top has formed a thin crust and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center of cake comes out with moist crumbs adhering, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove side of pan. Invert cake onto a plate and reinvert onto rack to cool completely. Dust cake with cocoa powder before serving.

COOK'S NOTE:
The cake can be made up to 3 days ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.

Siwaoasis
03-29-2005, 10:29 AM
CANDICE--I saw a recipe very similar to that one and passed on it because of the 2 sticks of butter. I could only make that if I were having 16 people over so that it would all be eaten in one sitting. That's not likely so I passed. It sure looked good though and I'm not even a chocolate lover.

We've had a couple really nice spring days but not for long I understand. I had some windows open yesterday and we even slept with an open window last nite and DH didn't complain. I have some tulips and giant allium up and on their way to blooming. No sign of any crocus though.

Not much going on here at all. Hope the rest of you are leading a more exciting life and enjoying it.

Lizziepie
03-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi all: I'm back in circulation again. Our company is gone and we are happy to be just 2 again. She was a very good guest, and no trouble and always ready to pitch in and help. but it is still nice to be just we two.

The spring show is over and turned out very well. We did have a lot of fun with the birds. And I think the audience enjoyed it as well.

Been reading some new detective type books written by Terry Blackstock. Very good, and nothing sleazy. As a matter of fact, written with a Christian perspective. I really like her books. Good stories.

Not much happening here. It is nice to not be tied down to weekly rehearsals for a while. Won't start back up until fall when we get working on Christmas.

I'm sure you have all been reading about the Terri Schaivo case. It has turned into a regular media circus. The last straw was when Jesse Jackson was called in by the parents. How political is that? It is a dreadful situation, and one can sympathize with both sides of the situation. I just don't want to listen to the news anymore because there is so much sensationalism going on. The poor woman. I can't imagine that she would want all of this, if she were at all cognizant of things.

We are starting to get some real spring weather now. And I am glad for that. Our Crape Myrtle tree is greening up nicely. Lots of new growth. I hope it has some blooms on it this year. It is exciting to see, as when we planted it, it just looked like a dead stick.

Dh goes for evaluation again tomorrow for his iron levels. Hope things will turn out that he doesn't have to go so often.

I can't seem to get motivated to get back to WW. My intentions have been good, but you know what they say about the road to #$%^being paved with good intentions. I keep telling myself that with summer coming I will be motivated.

I hope you all had a nice Easter Holiday. Will be checking back to see what is happening with you all.

Ann

ageoldie
04-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Hi gang, Well my world has been the same for months, struggling to keep our heads above the water. Business is still very slow, but at least we still have some...

I'm still going to the health club, and still playing with computer graphics. My newest kick in alphabets.

Ann I've never heard of Terry Blackstock, but I will have to try him (or her?) I get so tired of reading the sex scenes in the books I read, I've got to where I skip over most of them. They are mostly too graphic for me, and I really don't consider myself a prude. I've been reading John Patterson this month, the murder club books mostly. I'll read one of the intense muder mysteries, then go to one of my Harlequin SuperRomance for deversion!

Hope everyone else is doing good. Have a great weekend.
http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/siggys/Image12.jpg

Candicej
04-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Had a picture framed that my DBL got in Jerusalem....250 dollars..hope it looks nice! It is the last supper and had it done in a heavy antique gold frame with moss sueade matting.

Yard work has had me hurting..go to the doc tomorrow and Thurs for and ultrasound for gallbladder...foot is better but still hurts.

Cocoa-Banana Frozen Dessert 2pts This is yummy but I onlymake half the recipe at a time.

6 servings
The flavors in this simple dessert remind us of beach fare - frozen bananas on a stick coated with chocolate. This is a healthier version that you can whip up in no time at all. It contains no dairy and is very versatile. Improvise by adding different flavors. Make this a few hours before you plan to serve - it's best when just frozen. Any leftovers will keep for a couple of weeks in the freezer, but (at my house) rarely last that long.

4 very ripe bananas
2 tablespoons pure unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons real maple syrup

Peel the bananas and place in a blender or food processor along with the cocoa powder.
Add the vanilla extract and the maple syrup.
Blend till very smooth. Pour into individual custard cups or small bowls and freeze until just frozen.
Per serving:
118 calories
1 g total fat
0 mg cholesterol
30 g carbohydrate
1 g protein
3 g fiber
50 mg sodium

Lizziepie
04-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Hi All: Just a quick hello.
Candice: That recipe sounds great. Am going to give it a try. Hope all goes well with your remaining tests.

Barb: You sound busy; Hope the business continues to pick up. Terry Blackstock is a she. She has also written some books with Beverly LaHaye. I am reading her Cape Refuge series right now. 4 books and I am on number 4. I really enjoy them, and she has a real message in each one of the books. I have gotten tired of a lot of the books, with the foul language and all the sexy stuff. Just give me a good story.

Hey- Where are you other Florida gals?

I am happy to hear that you northerners have daffodils. I love those great spring blooms. The only way we get them here are in pots. and of course they don't last too long.

'See' you later. Ann

Siwaoasis
04-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Since I've been in the Red Hat book club I've read lots of fiction. I'm not a fiction reader but I continue because I like the ladies in the club. I can recommend some fiction w/o sex scenes.

1000 White Women
The Secret Life of Bees
The Kite Runner

These are in order of my preference

Had lunch today w/my 5th grade teacher. She's such a spitfire. She was my all time fav teacher. All 5 of us siblings had her for 5th grade. She's so tiny--not even 5'. I think she barely reaches my armpits. I don't know my ht in 5th grade but she didn't look small to me then. It may have been her authority that made her look tall because I think I was taller than she. Anyway, had fun at lunch--good food too.

Candicej
04-11-2005, 11:04 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have gallstones! So my chest shoulder pain is from that they think...now I need to decide if I want it out or not???????????? SIL had hers out 3 weeks ago and is having all kinds of problems, they are going back in to take a look.

Other SIL has cancer, they said it has spread to far and give her 6 months to 6 years. She went to Chicago for treatment. She is 45!!!!!!!!!

Been very busy in the yard!

Kasee
04-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Good morning all.
I am 42 and brand new to this site.
I was diagnosed with MS a number of years ago. When I quit my job to seek some re-education, I found the weight slowly creeping on.
I now find myself needed to lose 60 lbs.
I have tried, unsuccessfully, to lose weight using Slim-fast. It was horrible. I was starving all the time, and found myself cheating.
I exercise daily, weather permitting, by walking. I try to do 6-8 km a day. (Yes, I am walking to raise funds this coming weekend in the MS Supercities Walk.) Hence, the training.
I borrowed a book off my sister, read it and started "Somersizing" within the last month.
Although, all advice and encouragement is wonderful, I am having difficulty finding some Canadian support for "Somersizing".
These diets that are written for American consumers are difficult to Canadianize! Where do we find the food we need?
I am anxious to find a buddy. Hopefully, someone using the same weight-loss plan, going through the same things I am.
Maybe we could chat or email, provide each other with advice, encouragement and shopping advice.
Help!!!
K
*walking my way to my gorgeous summer wardrobe*

Candicej
04-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Anyone had a HIDA/CCK scan done for gallbladder? I read up on it and the test does not sound good...It is supposed to make your gallbladder contract like you are digesting something (inject that radioactive stuff and something else) and cause pain if you need it out.....I do not want the test and do not want it out.....not sure what to do????? Maybe I will jsut wait untill I cannot stand it anymore.....the doc says it might just be the Firo acting up..well the Fibro did not make the stones...duh..... I'm too busy for all this!!!!!!!!!! Gardening time ya know....

Made some strawbery jam last night and my brain was not working and I mixed up the jam and jelly recipes but it looks like it is setting. Forgot how hard it is for me to make! (causes to much pain) :o :o

Where is everyone??????????? :?: :?: :?:

Candicej
04-16-2005, 06:18 AM
Potted some pansies:D

Siwaoasis
04-18-2005, 10:15 PM
I have 7 tulips blooming. Spring is here! 84 today--way too warm for April.

Not much happening here. I'm painting 2 bathrooms and a bedroom. DH is also putting in new light fixtures. We're finally replacing the 1967 (ugly) fixtures after living here ONLY 11 years. LOL Replacing a vanity top also. One thing leads to another. Painting a bath sounds like an easy job until you begin.

Candicej
04-19-2005, 03:16 AM
Hi Siwa....good to see someone else around! Bought a beautiful hanging basket today..Dacinia (sp).......Hope it holds up in the wind out here! Bought more plants too.

Had the Hida test...went fine.....see doc WEd on my BD. WE need rain and it is coming Wed...they say. Nice and warm here too .. my body likes it alot...Tulips blooming like crazy! Ot sure when tohave my GB out so I can get yard work done...now or later??????

Siwaoasis
04-19-2005, 10:29 AM
This is my rule for surgery--IF I can put it off I will. November is a good time for me for surgery because all signs of the garden are gone and then I have more than a month to recover before Christmas. That's a BIG "if". Sometimes surgery can't wait.

I had GB out way back in 83 before the days of the easy surgery. I had a 9" slit in my belly and a LONG recovery even tho I was young then. One can not count on a speedy recovery, no matter what kind of surgery tho.

Lizziepie
04-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Let's go to the next thread. see you there. Ann