Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 03:43 PM   #1  
Gym'll fix it!!

Default AbLounger

Has anyone got any positive/negative comments on the AbLounger? I watched the infomercial for the umpteenth time this morning and thought it looked to easy to be true Anyway, they are selling them in Zellers for almost a third less than the "order price" and I don't know whether to purchase one or not I have lower back problems so I don't know if this would hinder me from using one I would appreciate any input
Old 02-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #2  
it's always something

Previous studies have shown that various ab-gadgets are no more effective than crunches, and some are less effective than crunches. I haven't tried the ablounger, but it looks very gimmicky. Maybe one of our fitness experts will have an opinion on it. I would recommend a balance ball, though. ACE Fitness (American Council on Exercise) did a report on ab gadgets a couple of years ago, and they showed what worked and what didn't work. In a nutshell, none of the infomercial type products worked. They suggested crunches on a balance ball (10 bucks at Walmart), and gave some tips for traditional crunches. http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/abstudy_top.cfm Consumer Reports did a follow up on this and also suggested the balance ball. The ball may support your lower back better.

Keep in mind that the people in the commercials are actually fitness models that make a living promoting these products. They work out in gyms, may have professional trainers, and don't represent the average consumer. It's very easy to make a product look attractive.

Based on general comments I've heard from others: The ablounger might encourage you to use it at first, and appeal to the person that does not exercise regularly. However you would probably grow out of it pretty quickly. I've yet to hear from someone that has had noticeable results from it.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #3  
Gym'll fix it!!

Suzanne I've already got a balance ball so I don't even need to spend any money The people on the commercial that I've been watching are definitely NOT fitness models in fact they look like they have a little ways to go not sure if thats a plus or a minus on the marketing scale but it did start off with a couple of hard bodies making the usual its "wonderful" and "marvellous" statements before they went to get comments from the average joe. I'll hold off for now and wait until they're on sale
Old 02-08-2005, 11:25 AM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Rather than an "Ab Lounger" if you MUST buy something that 'targets the abs' I'd suggest a good Pilates video. I've seen the Winsor Pilates basic set of DVDs selling at $10.00 plus S&H in the magazines.

Pilates will DEFINITELY work those abs - just keep in mind that working your abs alone isn't going to give you a six-pack or even 'visible abs' - that takes DIET to lose the fat that's covering them - and to get that fitness model sixpack you would have to get down to what for most of us would be a ridiculously low and unmaintainable bodyfat percentage (in fact those fitness models you see in magazines and TV are usually given a 12 week window to get down to an ultralow bodyfat % before filming...
Old 02-08-2005, 02:30 PM   #5  
Gym'll fix it!!

Got Winsor Pilates tapes too I guess I just need to start using them again I find that if I buy a new gadget it jumpstarts me into exercising again for a while anyway if I do get the AbLounger and its useless I suppose I could always lie in the sun on the deck on it
Old 02-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #6  
it's always something

Cathy, I've been there and done that! I've built up quite a little fitness gadget graveyard over the years Live and learn. I'm still waiting for someone to invent the "Fitness Desk Chair" so I can crunch and scrunch and press and lift while I work!
Old 02-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
Cathy, I've been there and done that! I've built up quite a little fitness gadget graveyard over the years Live and learn. I'm still waiting for someone to invent the "Fitness Desk Chair" so I can crunch and scrunch and press and lift while I work!
I suppose the "Fitness Desk Chair" would be a companion to George Costanza's desk he got Jerry's carpenter to make for him so he could grab a snooze during working hours.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #8  

What's that saying? If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:18 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

Jumping in with my two cents' worth -- hope you guys don't mind!

I read where there was a recall on certain models of these, so some local places might be selling the "recall models" at a lower price. If you really want to buy one, look for the Ab Lounge 2.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

You might want to check out the reviews on the AbLounger at Eopinions...

http://www.epinions.com/Ab_Lounger

(there are two reviews thus far - one from a personal trainer who warned against the dangers of hyperextension with this - also advised that the maximum weight limit for this glorified lounge chair is 275 lbs - something to keep in mind).

It's still a VERY new item - but what I would do is keep an eye on eBay in the next few months. Seeing a plethora of 'lightly used' Ab Loungers will be a sure sign that this is yet another gimmicky, cheap exercise infomercial product.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:32 PM   #11  
Gym'll fix it!!

LOL @ Suzanne

Thanks for your input Ladies I WON'T BE GETTING ONE
Old 02-15-2005, 08:54 AM   #12  

Hey, I'm a old chick who remembers a product just like the ablounger in the late 6o's and early 70's. The only difference it didn't have the place for your feet or hands. It wasn't effective then either.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:53 PM   #13  
SouthernMolasses

Default Southern Molasses

I have spent the last hour looking for reviews on the Ab Lounger; like you I have questions. I am not sure if this is appropriate for this website, but I finally found some customer reviews under the item for sale in the Target website. I searched through eopinions, googled galore, and this is the only reviews I found, most being positive...amazingly enough. Anyway, wanted to pass that on to people who wanted to read more about it, it can be purchased numerous places, I am not recommending Target.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:25 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMolasses
I have spent the last hour looking for reviews on the Ab Lounger; like you I have questions. I am not sure if this is appropriate for this website, but I finally found some customer reviews under the item for sale in the Target website. I searched through eopinions, googled galore, and this is the only reviews I found, most being positive...amazingly enough. Anyway, wanted to pass that on to people who wanted to read more about it, it can be purchased numerous places, I am not recommending Target.
As always...for exercise equipment, I would recommend 'try before you buy' if at ALL possible. At least if Target (or any other 'real' store) carries it, you can have the opportunity to see/touch/feel/try it out in person.

I realize most of these infomercials/commercials offer a 30 day money back guarantee...but often it's such a PITA to get the thing back in its original box, weigh it, pay postage and ship, that many people don't even bother. At least if you buy it at a local store, you have the option of just taking it back and getting a refund right away
Old 02-23-2005, 10:28 PM   #15  
it's always something

I saw this on QVC last night. I've not seen the regular infomercial, so I don't know how they made it compare in it. What I saw, though, made me think the ab lounger could not possibly work for anything other than increasing flexibility. They had one of their models on the floor doing traditional crunches, and then their fitness guru was on the ablounger behind her. The model on the floor was doing the crunches and you could see the abs from top to bottom being tightened, they were getting a lot of movement which MUST work. It was just the opposite with the woman on the ablounger. Her abs were not moving at all, the only range of motion was coming from her hips, as they worked like the hinge in the ablounge. I think this is one of the complaints when consumer organizations review ad machines - sometimes they really target areas other than the abs (like your wallets)
Closed Thread