Support Groups - Sanctuary - #7 Everyone Welcome

View Full Version : Sanctuary - #7 Everyone Welcome

LuckyLadyBug
02-05-2005, 10:58 AM
http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/203718/Welcome/welcome20sparkles20with20violets.gif

What we really want in a weight loss support group, boils down to one concept; we are looking for a sanctuary.

Sanctuary means different things to different people. Sanctuary is a place of peace, rest, safety, and rejuvenation. It keeps our spirit and our sanity intact.

Many of us who have a long journey down the weight loss path find ourselves in need of a break. Sometimes our bodies crave it, and sometimes the choice isn't ours, but circumstances forces it upon us. Other times, we need the clamoring throng to cheer us along our way as we breeze past milestones and overcome obstacles.

Sanctuary can be all that as well. It is what you need and when you need it. Sanctuary can be found in good friends who aren’t afraid of your truths and in an open, honest atmosphere.

Sanctuary isn’t judgmental, neither does it discriminate or ask to be censured. It is open to anyone with a desire to share, and especially those in need of and willing to offer support

LuckyLadyBug
02-05-2005, 11:03 AM
It's beautiful here to day too. It has been in the high 50's - a miracle for Minnesota at this time of the year.

I did some yoga and Oxycise this morning so am ready for the day.

Keeping my :crossed: for Monday!!!!

Someone just pulled in the driveway so I will have to scoot for now.

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/203718/Valentine's/heartsoutofabox.gif

lucky
02-05-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm glad all of you snowbirds are having warmer weather today. We finally have some sunshine after a week of rain. We'll have to enjoy it today because I think more rain is coming in tomorrow.

LuckyLadyBug, what on earth is Oxycise? I've never heard of that but it sounds like it would feel good.

Skittles, I meant to ask you if you caught DD on Good Morning America the other day. I got sooo tickled - my Dad called me and told me to change the channel because they were on. I couldn't believe that he remembered who they were much less that I had been so into them. I guess he paid more attention to my teenage years than I thought he had.

I'm feeling really encouraged today. I weighed in at 175 lbs. That's still a big number but just one more pound and I will have lost more than I have left to lose. I'll still have a long way to go but I'll have gotten past that mental hump I've had. Hopefully, I'll be able to switch gears from "I'll never get there" to "I'm getting there." I can't imagine what getting within 20 lbs. of my goal weight will feel like, much less actually getting to the actual thing. It just seems so abstract from here. I set mini goals, of course, and it feels good to reach those. But, my goodness, that pot at the end of the rainbow, I just can't get it out of my head. To be honest, I have this fear that the closer I get to it the further away it is going to seem. Plus, I worry that it will all be very anticlimactic. I guess I just see myself stepping on the scale, seeing 135, and thinking, "okay, now what?" Or maybe even getting there and realizing that it still isn't quite enough. Arghhh! I worry too much.

I'm off to the gym. Hope you all have a great day - enjoy your weather!

Tricia

LuckyLadyBug
02-05-2005, 07:32 PM
I read this today and had to share:

Though no one can go back and make a new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new end.

Isn't that just a perfect statement when applied to weight loss?

I am going to make a brand new end!!! (Literally :lol: )

ageoldie
02-05-2005, 08:16 PM
http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/Valentines/valbug.jpg

Lucky this one is for you!!!

I really have to start back my Oxycise. I don't feel good today at all, so it won't be today, but soon...

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/Valentines/LoveMachineBarb[1].g

LuckyLadyBug
02-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Thank you, BarbG. She is so cute!!!!

I think Oxycise really makes me feel better - getting all thay oxygen into my body.

Tricia: Oxycise is doing deep breathing while in different positions. Like deep breathing isometrics.

This is an article from their site:
Oxycise! is a new development in the field of weight loss and health. The validity and success of this program is evident in the reports received almost daily from Oxycise! clients who are amazed with their results after following the Oxycise! program.

Oxycise! causes a tremendous increase in the body's metabolic rate. The vast majority of Oxycise! patrons report weight and inch loss as well as increased muscular strength and toning. In addition, most clients report a positive difference in their emotional outlook as well as increased energy level after doing Oxycise! for a very short time. Various individuals have reported numerous other health benefits which they have attributed to Oxycise!

As the scientific and health communities become more aware of the benefits of Oxycise!, it is hoped that researchers will take a greater interest in carrying out further studies of the physiological effects of Oxycise! on the body.

I think it is good for me because it promotes my intake of oxygen.

5 dogs
02-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Hello everyone, as you can see, hubby and i made it back from Ga and the ice storms they had last week. We got in this evening and just wanted to see what all my cyberspace friends are doing. Wow, i have a lot to catch up on.

It took us a little over 10 hours of driving to get home so am a little tired right now. Hope to talk to all of you tomorrow.
Hugs to all.
Gloria :wave:

LuckyLadyBug
02-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Gloria, glad you made it back safe and sound.

So, did you like the ice and snow????? :lol:

qsilver
02-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Good morning :)

I just got home from work, so I'm still feeling all peppy. Thought I'd come in here and catch up with some reading before I crash! :lol:

Gloria, glad you made it back safe and sound. You were missed!

Hey, Tony just called, so I'm going to pop off here. :)

Andria

5 dogs
02-06-2005, 11:54 AM
I think I'm cought up on all that has been going on this week.

I first want to say, BarbPa, I feel for you in the loss of your mother. I know there is nothing anyone can say or do to help ease the pain of losing a loved one, but sometimes, just knowing that there are friends you can talk to might help ease the pain. We are all here for you Barb.

You started belly dancing Kat? To COOL! It's so much fun it almost doesn't feel like exercise. Do you wear the scarves and belly ring? I go for an hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Y with some of the nicest people. Wish we could belly dance together. We could keep each other motivated.

I also have a son named Will, Tricia. He is 29, married and lives in Mo. No kids yet but Will told me they are trying. Let hope.

So Laura, did you survive the ice storms? Carl and I (along with the five dogs) had to travel at a snails pace through Atlanta because of the icy roads. There where cars on the side of the road that were abandoned that looked like big mounds ice. There were big trees that were bent in half because of the weight of the ice also. Now i know what most of you that live in snow durning the winter months are saying. "What a sissy girl". Well, this Florida girl is not used to ice and snow.

What a way to go Cheryll, 3lb. Happy dance for you.
You had no power for 7 day? Wow. When Carl and i finally made it to Blairsville Ga. late Saturday, there was now gas in the tank so we had no heat, no hot water, no t.v. and an air mattress to sleep on. My two poor little dachsunds were looking at me as if to say "Are we sleeping here in this COLD house tonight"? Poor little things.
I loved your story of the cinnamon bread. That is soooo true. I sit there and don't eat any bread or potatoes while everyone else is shoveling food down. Then, all i can think of the rest of the night is that darn bread that i didn't eat and how much i want some after we get home. Why do i do that to myself?

So it is Super Bowl Sunday and the food is going to be more than i can handel. I heard that Super Bowl Sunday has become a holiday by itself. I think it should be called "How much will power do you have Super Bowl Sunday". I am sure you can think of some other good ones.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.
Hugs to all.
Gloria

5 dogs
02-06-2005, 06:02 PM
I have a recipe for Artichoke-Spinach dip that i created and would like you opinion on. If you don't like Artichokes or Spinach then you wont like this one. I love them so decided to be creative. Let me know what you think.

2 cups frozen chopped spinach
4 small artichoke hearst (I use canned)
1 Talb. Parmesan cheese
1 Talb. Carb Options Ranch dressing

Place frozen spinach in frying pan with a little water. Place a cover that is smaller then the frying pan in the middle of pan so spinach is covered. Cook on med. heat till all water has evaporated and spinach is dry and cooked. Slice artichoke hearts and mix with spinach along with Parmesan cheese and Ranch dressing. Mix well, cover and cook on low till cheese is melted. If you like a creamy dip, place mixture in a blender and mix till creamy. i hollow out a large cucumber and place mixture in the middle. I also eat it hot or cold but prefer it hot.
I am on the South Beach diet so i don't count calories but do count carbs. The ranch dressing and the parmesan cheese have 0 carbs. I can eat all the vegetables i want, so as far as i can see, this one is free.
If you try it and don't like it, let me know anyway. We all have different taste and i just want your opinion.
Gloria

LuckyLadyBug
02-06-2005, 07:27 PM
For all that are participating don't forget to post your pounds lost during the 2 LBS IN 2 WEEKS CHALLENGE (2x2) 01/24 to 02/07 tomorrow.

As some of you know my Dad is in a nursing home. He got the flu two weeks ago and couldn't get over it so they put him in the hospital on Friday. Now they found he has gall stones and want to remove his gall bladder. I just don't know if he can handle the procedure. :(

I worry under the stress that I will eat badly, overeat and not exercise - at least that is my pattern from the past. :mad:

Well, at least this time I am aware, which will hopefully keep me from derailing completely.

Also, time to sign up for the next challenge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2 LBS IN 2 WEEKS CHALLENGE (2x2) 02/07 TO 02/21

Lucky

southern gal
02-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Hi everyone!
Lucky, I love your quote about starting from now and making a brand new end. That is so true - and considering how many times I'm starting again, it definitly applies to me!

Gloria, glad you made it home OK. I thought about you going through all that ice around Atlanta. I'm further south in the state so it wasn't quite as bad here. We lost a couple of limbs but not whole trees like some of my neighbors did. We only lost power for a day so it could have been worse. (Of course my boys were soooooo bored without the TV, internet, etc.! That is all we heard all day Saturday...)

Tricia, you are doing so great with your weight loss. Halfway there! Way to go! You have a lot to be proud of. Congratulations!!!

Everyone else, good to see that you all are doing well. I'll catch up with the rest of you later. I've got one ear on the SuperBowl - actually I just watch it to see what crazy commercials they come up! - and trying to catch up on my mail at the same time. I'll talk to you later!

Laura

katrinabgood
02-06-2005, 07:41 PM
GO EAGLES!!!

lucky
02-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Gloria, I don't even have to try your dip to know I would like it. I'll eat spinach and artichoke hearts just about any way you make them. We had spinach quiche tonight as a matter of fact. My mother-in-law makes an artichoke chicken dish that I think you could use. The only carb I remember being included was a little bit of a bread crumb topping but it would be just as good without it, I think. I'll ask her to send me the recipe.

LuckyLadyBug, I've been thinking about what you told me a few posts back regarding having to learn to see myself other than fat. I've been working on it and decided that part of my image problem is that I avoid seeing my body as a whole. I even make an effort not to catch my reflection in store windows, etc. Anyway, I decided that I'll have to start SEEING myself if I'm ever going to be convinced that I've made real progress. So, tonight while I was on the elliptical machine I bit the bullet and looked over to the mirrored wall next to me. I couldn't believe what I saw. MY BOOBS STUCK OUT FURTHER THAN MY STOMACH! Now, I've always been big chested so, believe me, it takes a pretty big belly to get ahead of them. Sure, the belly is still there, but just the fact that it is starting to lose the race to the ladies proves to me that I am getting somewhere!

I am off to finish up the mounds of laundry I've avoided all weekend. I honestly don't know how we have so many dirty clothes. I've got the kind of kids that would much rather be naked than dressed. Maybe I should indulge them more often and save myself a little work. You guys have a great night. See you in the morning for our weigh in.

lucky
02-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Okay, guess I'll go first:

I started our challenge at 180. Today's weigh in puts me at 176. So, yippee, 4 pounds in two weeks!

The bad news? I weighed in at 175 last week. I'm not going to beat myself up because my BMI has come down from 41 to 38 so I am sure I've added a little muscle and I am winding up TOM so that could be an ounce or two. But, just because I'm being reasonable about it doesn't mean I'm not really, really pissed off too! I had hoped to get to 170 by the end of this month but I'm not so sure I am on track to make it. Oh, well, all I can do is keep plugging along. I'll get there eventually!

Also, time to sign up for the next challenge.

Sign me up

Tricia

Skittles
02-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Happy Weigh In Monday!

Well here it is. Weigh in day already. I am down 1.5 lbs. Woo Hoo, I am happy about that. So I know I will get the whole 2 lbs next weigh in.
Anyhow, been a busy weekend. Working on the house, making a birthday present for my hunny and well, working on the house. That is why I have not been around this weekend.

It sounds like everyone is doing good.

Jaws, I am glad your boobs stick out. Just having the recognition of that I know is a real sense of accomplishment for you. It took a lot to look over there, and now aren't you glad you did. I can't wait until I have a definite space between my boob line and my stomach line. :D

Kat, well, I saw some of that football game, and it looked like they were going to come back, but then there was that interception. :( My hunny said they way they were wasting valuable clock time it looked like a payoff. Oh well, there's always next year.

Gloria, glad you made it home safe and sound I can imagine what the roads were like down there. But as long as you had a nice time nonetheless.

Lucky, yes, end, I need to work on a new end, and side, and front, and middle, and well you get the idea. :D I will be praying for your father. I had my gallbladder out 1.5 years ago. Not fun, but it was more painful and annoying before I had it done. Healing angels are coming his way.

BarbG, that was a cute ladybug, almost as cute as ours. ;)

Laura, I wanted to watch for the commercials, but I got so busy around the house I forgot it was on. :lol: I am a total commercial freak.

Sorry if I missed anyone, I am so far behind. Love you all.

New Challenge starts today.

2x2 Whose up for it?
Skittles

5 dogs
02-07-2005, 09:59 AM
I have a lot to do today so i cant stay long. I am in this time with the 2x2.

Cheryll-Hope you come back soon. Haven't seen you around lately.
I will check back in with you all later.
Gloria http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar057/slider-but2/lb/180/145/180/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

LuckyLadyBug
02-07-2005, 01:30 PM
WELL, I am ticked - I was down for the challenge but I ALWAYS weigh more on Monday so - ka boom!!!! I didn't make it. :cry:

I will just take 2 of Tricia's !!! :lol:

Okay, onward!!!!!!!!!

Today I have had half a row of saltines and a 7-up - GUESS what's going on with me!!!! :mad: I hope it's not THE flu that is going around.

I read this on WebMD:
"People don't exercise," Kimiecik maintains, "not because of the reasons they give, but because they haven't found a way to enjoy exercising. Most people have not taken the time to find out what makes them feel good. You like something if you become successful at it on your own terms."

I just copied an article on exercising - I will post it here too, I like to share ;)

LuckyLadyBug
02-07-2005, 01:59 PM
But can an exercise-hater really change? Will you ever be able to face a daily workout without dread?

Yes, say Calabrese and Gunning, who offer these tips to help you turn "hate" into "tolerate" -- maybe even "love":

Find something you enjoy. Bottom line, they say, if you don't like what you're doing, you won't stick with it. If you're not sure what you like, explore: Take a dance class, learn to Rollerblade or swim, or hike in some nearby mountains. Try them all. Keep experimenting until you find the thing that moves you, mentally and physically.
Set goals. "Write down your goals and review them often," says Calabrese. But be realistic. If you've started out walking for 10 minutes, don't aim to run a marathon in three months. Your goals "can start really short term and lead to long term," she says. "Create specific, measurable, action-oriented goals -- and have a time frame for accomplishing them."
Be a morning exerciser. Statistics show that people are more likely to stick with a fitness program if they exercise first thing in the morning, Calabrese says. There's less of a chance to make excuses, and you get it over with before your day begins.
Schedule your workout. "Write it in your planner just like a meeting or appointment," says Calabrese. Schedule a whole month in advance, writing the day and time of your workout. "And if you have to cancel one, reschedule it immediately."
Have a partner. "Exercise can be very social," says Calabrese. Whether or not you're involved in a team sport, she says, "having the commitment of a friend or spouse increases your commitment."
Reward yourself. Gunning uses rewards to inspire people to set small goals along the way to the larger ones. When you can complete a 30-minute walk on the treadmill or do 10 push-ups, for example, reward yourself with a new CD or T-shirt. When you've stayed with the program for 12 weeks, get a new pair of sneakers. "Just make sure (the rewards aren't) food related," says Gunning.
Chart your progress. Start by getting a fitness assessment when you first begin a program. (If you're not a gym member, do it on your own. Write down your weight, measurements, and BMI, then record how long you're able to exercise on the first day.) In three months, you'll see how much progress you made.
Try a mind-body approach. Starting out with classes like yoga or Pilates, in which you focus on breathing and stretching, can give you a taste of exercise's feel-good benefits right off the bat, Calabrese says: "By breathing and oxygenating the muscles, you feel an immediate stress release, and you may feel the benefits sooner without feeling the soreness that comes with strength training or even cardio right away."
Abandon the all-or-nothing approach. So you don't have an hour? How about 30 minutes? It's certainly better than nothing, and if you work smart you can really reap benefits from a 30-minute workout, says Gunning. And recognize you're fallible. You'll fall off the wagon a time or two. Don't beat yourself up. Just get back into your routine and stop procrastinating.
Falling in Love with Exercise

Just tolerating exercise isn't enough, Kimiecik believes. In his book, The Intrinsic Exerciser: Discovering the Joy of Exercise, he advocates learning to love exercise for its own sake. "Most people don't like (exercise)," he says, "because the information they're given doesn't do much to get them to like it."

People know exercise will help them live longer and be healthier, "but that doesn't do much in the way of motivation," he says. "It's external, or outside, in. Those reasons are not powerful enough to keep you motivated for the long term. Those people, on a daily basis, aren't paying attention to the feelings of exercise."

On the other hand, Kimiecik says, people who consistently exercise are motivated from the inside, out.

"The people who maintain exercise on a regular basis are those who really enjoy the movement," he says. "Regular exercisers almost always talk about how exercise makes them feel; they rarely talk about disease reduction."

So how do you get there?

"Find activities that make you feel alive and make you feel enjoyment," he says. To do that, he suggests: "Think about how you want your body to feel when you're exercising. Do you want it to feel fast, do you want it to feel strong, do you want it to feel pushed?"

In other words, be involved in the activity mentally and physically. Connect your mind and body.

Kimiecik admits it's not always easy, but without internal motivation, he says, it's next to impossible to keep up an exercise routine.

"To become a regular exerciser," says Kimiecik, "we all have obstacles. Like with most things in life, if you don't find a powerful inner motivation for doing something, obstacles are easier to find."

I do like to do a few of the tapes I have - however I have to get over getting side tracked by life. I was exersizing in the AM and PM and then my Dad got sick - side tracked!!!! Okay, I can do this!!!! :yes: Right :?:

I have to do more goal setting and charting. I do like my bellydancing - but I (being raised in a Norwegian Lutheran community) haven't been able to get myself to dance around the house while gyrating my hips in wild abandonment.
I just stand in front of the TV and follow the VCR tape! :dizzy:

I do love my Strip Tease workout and am starting to like the newest pilates tape I have - so there is hope that this exercise-hater is changing.

:kickcan:

5 dogs
02-07-2005, 05:00 PM
My son Will and daughter-in-law are coming down for a visit tomorrow. He is here on business in Orlando and will be stoping by for a quick visit. I am attaching a picture of them. Sorry ladys, his married.
I am off to my step class now.
Talk to you soon.
Gloria

southern gal
02-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi all,
Just a quick check in. It has been Monday all day for me! I feel like I have run myself ragged today...

Ok, bad news on the weight in. I'm up a pound for the two weeks. Ugh! I didn't help the challenge any and I've let myself down. I have got to buckle down and get back on track. I'm doing this little slipping stuff: too many snacks, an extra bite of this, too many meals out...
Put me in for the new challenge. I'm going to try to do better this time!

Still got work to do before I can go to sleep. Talk to you all later...

Laura

ageoldie
02-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Has anyone heard from BarbPA?

5 dogs
02-08-2005, 07:37 AM
BarbPa probably has morning sickness. Let's hope.
Have anyone heard form Cheryll?
Gloria

Skittles
02-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Morning Ladies,

It seems a lovely day today. Not much time as I have to work on the dishes before work and I wanted to exercise this morning.

Lucky, thanks for sharing that article. I do need to find something I can have fun at.

(being raised in a Norwegian Lutheran community) haven't been able to get myself to dance around the house while gyrating my hips in wild abandonment.
I just stand in front of the TV and follow the VCR tape! :dizzy:

I do love my Strip Tease workout

Ok, soooo, let me get this straight; you can't shake your hips around the house, but....You can take your clothes off??? ;) :lol: And I thought growing up Catholic was odd. :D

Tricia, you and I were posting at around the same time. Way to go on losing 4 lbs, you Rock. Oh, I didn't see Duran2 on GMA, but I did record them on Regis and Kelly. Simon was in jeans and a leather jacket, Oh yeah Baby!!:p

BarbG, I have not heard from BarbPa yet, but I really didn't expect to hear anything til at least the middle of this week. I know she will be ok with all of the prayers her and her family are getting from us all.

Andria, Just tell Tony to call back later, we all miss you. :D

Gloria, you have a very handsome son.

Laura, you will lose this time around. Now you know there are things that you need to do different this time. And the best thing to do is change one thing at a time. I know you can do it this time.

Ok off to exercise before work.

Tricia
Skittles
Lucky
Gloria
Laura

lucky
02-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Good morning all!

Lucky, I am sorry to hear your dad is going through so much. I know you are worried. I think you've made an important step in recognizing that this is a situation that could potentially do damage to your weight loss goal. But, since you see it for what it is you can CHOOSE to stick to your guns. You don't have to fall into the same old traps that have gotten all of us at one time or another. I find it helps me if I remind myself that since I am aware of the outside pressure I'm not necessarily eating in response to it, rather I am using it as an excuse to eat. I've always considered myself an emotional/stress eater but I finally had to admit to myself that I was just looking for a reason to get what I wanted - my favorite foods and lots of them- without it being my fault that I'd stumbled. I realized that is what I was doing when I put two and two together and figured out that going off plan actually just ADDED to my stress and worry. Now, I'm not saying that any of this applies to you- food offers a lot of comfort and it is hard to resist when comfort is exactly what you need in situations like what you are facing with your dad. But the bottom line still comes back to being a healthier you. It really is true that you can't take care of someone else unless you've taken care of yourself. There is a reason that when the oxygen masks drop in an airplane they instruct you to put one on yourself before you attempt to help anyone else. The same principle applies here. Do your best to stay on plan (I know it will be hard) so that you are as healthy as you can be and have the strength and energy to handle whatever may come for your dad. You can do it and we'll all be here to help if you need us.

Gloria, I don't know if you ever watch FoodTV, but I saw a recipe for pepperoni chips on one of their low-carb shows (I think it is called Low Carb and Lovin' It). I tried it as an after school snack for the kids and they really liked it. You can eat them plain or use them just as you would a chip with dip. All you do is take pepperoni slices and bake them on a cookie sheet at 425 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Take them out and soak up all of the grease with a paper towel. Put them back in the oven for 2-4 more minutes or until they are crisp. They will keep for about 2 days in an air tight container. I only tried one and it was really good. In fact, I plan to try it with a lower fat or turkey pepperoni so that I can fit them into my own plan every now and then.

Good job losing 1.5 lbs, Skittles. I don't have any doubt that you'll make the whole two this time around. You sound very determined. Leather jacket and jeans, huh? Sorry I missed that. I'm still such a teeny bopper. Of course, I would have argued till I was blue in the face if someone had called me that when I was 15. I was New Wave, baby - and there was a difference! Unfortunately, I had to give up the act once I realized I had a little crush on Justin Timberlake. LOL. Poor Greg, just rolls his eyes and laughs. I've always been the type that is very easily star-struck. But, Greg is still the dreamiest in my book so it is all just silly, good fun.

I'm off to tackle laudry AGAIN. Then I've got to scrub the bathrooms - my absolutely least favorite chore (I've taught Jake and Addie to think scrubbing the toilets is a game. They'll catch on soon enough but it would just be wrong not to capitalize on all this free child labor in the meantime). Hope you all have a terrific day!

Tricia

katrinabgood
02-08-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm here...just not here, if you know what I mean. I've been in a rotten funk these past few days, trying to shake it, but I can't bring myself to come here and talk positively about weight loss when I'm doing everything in my power to sabotage any progress that I've made recently. I need to pull myself out out this. I'll be back, just give me a few days to smack myself back into line. Could be PMS...I don't know. I'm calling my doctor for a physical and intend to explore the possibility of antidepressants. I don't know. I feel so hopeless. Is this pre-menopause? I don't want to be this way. Sorry to unload this on all of you, but I feel like you all are the only ones I can talk to. I'd talk to dh, but he's been working crazy hours lately and now he's sick with a terrible cold. Please bear with me. I'm sorry to be such a downer. Now I'm crying. What the heck is wrong with me? I want to delete this but I want you all to know I'm around, just not my usual chipper self.

Okay, done rambling. I'll see you soon.

lucky
02-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Kat - I can tell you from experience, if depression is at the root of your problem (only your doctor can tell you for sure) anti-depressants can be your best friend. I never had a symptom in my life and then about 9 years ago I had my first panic attack. From there, chemical depression evolved. I refused to address the issue because, even though I felt awful, I wasn't "crazy." Finally, broke down, made the appointment and was back to my old self in no time. Whatever is causing you to feel so emotional and down in the dumps can certainly be addressed one way or the other by your doctor and there is no reason in the world to feel that bad if you don't have to. Good luck and I hope you are feeling all sunshiney again very soon.

Okay - my sweet dad called earlier to tell me that he was stopping by the country club and bringing the kids their favorite lunch from there - chicken strips and fries. Great, they will be so excited I say. Now, I haven't mentioned to my parents that I've been dieting. He shows up not just with their lunch but one for me as well. A full pound cheeseburger loaded up with everything. These things are HUGE and sooooo good. I managed not to eat it while he was here thinking that once he left I could just put it in the fridge and Greg could have it for dinner tonight since I have to take Will to karate. Let me just say that I have been sitting in front of my computer entering this cheeseburger into fitday every way you can imagine - half of it, quarter of it, half with mayo scraped off, mayo scraped off and only half of bun - I've tried very, very, hard to find a way to make this monsterous burger not blow my calories for the rest of the day. There is just no way around it. This thing is just too good to work. So, the good news? I've spent so much time trying to figure a way to eat it without guilt that now it is all cold and soggy. Yuck. So, I got lucky this time because I had every intention of eating this thing. Let me say it again - this was sheer luck, there was no will power whatsoever involved. But, I think I may have tapped into a good way to avoid temptation in the future. Let's hope it works for me EVERY time!

c bo be
02-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Good afternoon everyone!

Sounds like everyone has done pretty well on the two week challenge. I weighed myself last thur. and had lost 3 lbs. My husband and I both had a 3 day weekend of celebrating his birthday. We ate out everyday, and yes, I had steak, baked potato, and those yummy warm rolls with cinnamon butter I was talking about. I was weak!
But, I weighed in this morning and had only gained 1 lb. So I've managed to still meet the two week challenge and count me in for the next challenge. I had to work over and extra 5 hours yesterday and couldn't get on the computer. Looks like I've missed alot since the weekend.

Gloria, I'm so glad you're back with us, and you son is drop dead gorgeous. Yep, he's a keeper. Oh, also my dad has been in florida for a couple of weeks, and is staying for the month of feb. and he called last night and bought a place around Fort Myers. I'm excited about that. Plus by working at school I get alot of vacation time so I'm looking forward to visiting florida. Haven't been there since I was a kid.

And Kat, I know exactly what you're talking about. I've battled depression many times in my life, and it's horrible. You get to a point where if medication will help you then you should not be afraid to get help. It"s so exhausting trying to fight it. I was always worried about taking medications, and still am, but I don't know what I would do without my Zoloft. I would sometimes get to feeling so blue and start crying for no reason. Everything would be fine with my husband, job, etc. but I couldn't stop crying. Anyway, I just wanted you to know your email really hit home with me. I say let the tears flow, and talk, talk, talk, to your friends. You WILL get through this depression. And most of all you are not alone. My mom use to say when life hands you lemons, then make lemonade. I think of that all the time. Start squeezing Kat, and I'll join you. Take care.

Anyway, I missed workout last night but am planning on going to aerobics in just about an hour. Everybody have a good one.
Cheryll

BarbPA
02-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi Everyone -
Sorry to keep you in suspense. This has been by far the worst week and I am slowly starting to feel a little better. I am still in FL with my family and I plan on returning home to PA on Thursday. It's helping to spend time with my dad and brother right now. I've had some time to visit with old friends and celebrate my mom's life.

On the IVF front, of the 3 eggs that were retrived on Thursday, only 1 was mature enough to use. The good news is that it fertilized and was deemed a "good quality" embryo. It was frozen on Friday and in a month of two we will begin the "frozen embryo transfer" process. We are praying it's a little miracle left here by mom.

I hope you are all doing well. I'll take more time to catch up with you all when I return home.

Barb :)

southern gal
02-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Evening everyone!
Hope you all are doing well! I am spending all my time running up and down the road - soccer season is just starting! Both of my boys play for their schools. The 8th grader will have games on Tue. & Thur. and the freshmen has games on Mon., Wed., and Fridays. Guess what I'm going to be doing... Rhys, the freshman, is the starting goalie for the varsity team - he is extremely proud of himself. Drew, the younger one, says he is going to take the MVP award for his team so this should prove to be an interesting season! I'm just grateful they are not playing on their traveling team for the spring along with the school teams (then it would be soccer six or seven days a week!)...

Kat - Hang in there. I am sending positive wishes your way...

Tricia - Great job on the huge cheeseburger! What a neat way that worked out...And way to go on the weight loss.

Cheryll - Good job on meeting the challenge!

BarbPA - I'm thinking of you...

Everyone else - Sending best wishes for a great OP day!

OK. Let me switch gears from running to soccer practice/meetings today and get some work done for school. I've got a Reading Team meeting tomorrow that I am not even close to being prepared for and I forgot that I was supposed to do the bulletin board at church Sunday so I've got to pull that together to take down tomorrow night at choir practice. My mind is getting extremely shakey these days...

Have a good day tomorrow! Talk to you later!

Laura

LuckyLadyBug
02-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Just got home from seeing my Dad. He seemed much better than Sunday. He get evaluated for surgery tomorrow. :crossed:

Glad you checked in, Laura. Two weeks from now you will be DOWN those 2 pounds.

Tricia:
I finally had to admit to myself that I was just looking for a reason to get what I wanted - my favorite foods and lots of them- without it being my fault that I'd stumbled THANK YOU!!!! Funny how you can have a light bulb moment when you see it in writing but on my own I couldn't figure it out. Or admit it, I should say. It's all in the way you look at it and your post hit the nail on the head for me.

Plus you know Fitday - I have tried it twice but found it too much work and quit.

Kat:
I'm doing everything in my power to sabotage any progress that I've made recently. I need to pull myself out out this.
I'll help you if you help me!!!

Cheryll: Glad to see your post. Congrats, on your loss.

Well, it's late and I have to get ready for tomorrow.

Later, :kickcan:

Skittles
02-09-2005, 07:44 AM
Morning Ladies,

I don't have much time because it snowed last night so I must go out and shovel before work. I did want to chime in real quick about the depression talk.
I too have struggled with depression most of my life and I have struggled with my weight as well. I have been taking Effexor XR for about 1 1/2 years now. Before I had tried many other anti-depressants and the like. Never sticking with any because they didn't seem to be working or would only work for a short period of time.
One of the things that I have noticed is the number of overweight people on anti-depressants. I have been wanted to study about changing your diet to get rid of depression. I know that there is some information out there I just haven't gotten around to searching for it yet. But I was wondering if anyone else feels that their diet may be a part of their depression. I don't mean that you are depressed because you have eatten too much or the wrong thing, but I mean that the food is messing up your chemical balance in your brain. I have noticed that I have panic attacks if I have too much caffeine, so I have limited my caffeine intake. Does anyone else think that because of the processing of foods could be the root of the chemical imbalances in our brain? I think maybe it does. Anyhow, I would love to discuss this more, but right now I must shovel.
Hugs to all,
Skitt

LuckyLadyBug
02-09-2005, 08:53 AM
I agree, Dawn, about food affecting us. I just ignore it - which is NOT good.

I too would like to know more - TONY!!!!!! Any suggestions for our reading pleasure?????

Gotta work now or I would surf the net ! :)

5 dogs
02-09-2005, 09:22 AM
I love the cooking show Tricia. I cought the tail end of low carb and loving it, and was wondering what he had made because it sounded good. Now i can try it. Thanks.
So tell me, how much laundry do you do a day? My goodness girlfriend, it seems like everytime you post a message, your in the middle of doing laundry. I guess you could say "Doing laundry" is a form a exercise. Is that how you manage to loose 4lb. Well, a big happy dance for you! :cb:
I read your post about the cheese burger and I'm still laughing. To Funny!! What a great way to start the morning.(Laughing) Thanks. The funny thing is, i probably would have eaten it.

Will and Gina took us out to dinner last night and we went to Hops. Its a fancy restaurant that i think is only in the south. Maybe. Anyway, they have these croissant rolls that they serve at the beggining of the meal that have this honey butter on top, and there is just no word to describe how GOOD they are. Yes, i did eat two of them. My reasoning for eating them are.... #1. My son and daughter-in-law don't come down everyday to visit.
#2. It was a special occasion.
I'm sure there are a lot more reasons i can think of, but then what's the point. The damage is done. Onward and upward.

I have a lot more to say to all of you but have to run to the store before hubby its come for lunch. I shall return.
Gloria

katrinabgood
02-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Thank you all SO much for the good advice. Immediately after getting that stuff off my chest yesterday, I felt better. I made an appointment with a new doctor for next week. A female doctor...hopefully she'll have a better grasp on 'lady things; than my well meaning, yet clueless male doctor.

Anyway. thanks again...I'm working on this and I appreciate all of your help! I consider you all good friends! :grouphug:

Barb, Hang in there, honey. It only takes one! Prayers comin' atcha!

I'll be back soon! Love to all!

lucky
02-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Hello all! I just came in from the gym and my arms a actually a little shaky from the weights so pardon any typos!

Yep, Gloria, laundry is my life. I try to stay on top of it by doing it a couple times during the week. Otherwise, somebody is going to run out of clean underwear - and it is usually me! Summer isn't so bad because we spend most of the day in our swimsuits (oh, the horror!) at the pool. But this time of year the kids are in and out of mud puddles, finger paints, sandboxes, etc. so they just get grubby fast and have to change clothes a couple of times during the day. Of course, sometimes I just let them go. I'll be the lady at the grocery store getting the looks from people thinking, "Ewww, does she ever give those kids a BATH?" But I haven't shown up there in curlers or slippers....yet.

Skittles, I do agree that the foods we eat have an impact on our moods and how we feel. My personal experience, though, has been that my depression contributes to my being overweight rather that the other way around. I've run the gamut of symptoms, starting with just general anxiety disorder. Once I quit work, though, there were fewer and fewer triggers for my panic attacks and I think the isolation led to more of actual depression. Now that we've established a routine and I've met more friends also at home (I still see my work friends but it is harder to do since they are at work) I find that, without medication, my symptoms are less pronunced but still there. I have symptoms of anxiety, depression, and I have a tendancy to be a bit compulsive. They seem to change with age and I noticed after each of my pregnancies my overall composure might be different than it had been. So, I too, have had to experiment with different medications. Currently, I am taking Wellbutrin and it works well for me. It has had a very definate impact on my compulsivness - one reason I believe that, for me, the disorder plays a role in my weight. Now, I'm not blaming being chemically depressed for my being fat because I know I still have contol over what I put in my mouth. But Wellbutrin does two things for me. First, it affects the part of the brain that signals cravings (sometimes it is used to help people quit smoking) and that really has made getting compulsive eating under control. Second, it relieves my depression so that I have a good enough outlook to actually CARE. Without medication, getting out of bed in the morning was a horrible experience. I had taken Serzone for several years before it was taken off of my insurance company'S drug list. I didn't immediately start taking anything else because I felt like I would be fine. I had everything I wanted, I'd been able to quit my job. I had the life that I always wanted and fully expected to be happy because of it. But, of course, that isn't how chemical depression works. If you've got, you've got it so it wasn't long before I was down in the dumps again, and having a panic attack if someone pulled out in front of me on the highway. It is just a terrible feeling to know that you SHOULD be happy and yet know that you AREN'T. And it isn't like you FEEL depression per say. But, when I realized that I was sending my kids to get pop tarts out of the drawer for breakfast and making them go watch TV because I couldn't get out of bed in the morning I knew I would have to find another med. So, here I am. And, honestly, I don't think I could have lost the weight I have if I hadn't. I mean, if you can't pull yourself out of bed you certainly aren't going to drag yourself to the gym. Still, I have never been a medicine taker and I struggle with the notion that this will be something I have to treat for the rest of my life (more than likely). It is a really interesting topic, I think, because it affects people so differently.

I am off to scrounge up some lunch. I hope you all have a fabulous day!

Tricia

qsilver
02-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey everyone :)

Ok, if Kat is depressed and brave enough to get her butt in here and post about it, then I don't have any excuses. Thank you, you darling woman, for writing that post.

I have a lot of great things going on in my life right now. I should be happy as anything. I'm seeing Tony this weekend! That should be enough to have me cloud walking right there. Part of me is up there on cloud 9. There is another part of me that feels very sad and can't even acknowledge the fact that the sun is shining outside.

Part of it is my weight loss, I have to admit. I have been working my plan so hard, and I was up 1 lb. again yesterday. I kept a nice face for the people at Decision, but I got in the car and cried. Why did I feel the need to be brave for them? I should have just let the tears spill, because that is honestly how I felt.

I've been up and down, back and forth so much since mid-December, that I can't even tell you any longer if I made the last 2 lb. challenge or not. I'm frustrated and angry and wanting to see concrete results. You want to hear the really crazy thing? I tried to sabotage myself yesterday, but I found myself portioning out things properly and mentally adding up which boxes would be filled, etc. In the end, I didn't screw up at all, but I was so upset that I still didn't enjoy my indulgence. :dizzy:

The 14th should be my baby boy's 6th birthday, but it isn't. My sister didn't invite me to her little boy's b-day party because she knows it still stings. My SIL understood when I was scarce for my niece's b-day party. We were all pregnant at the same time, and it was going to be so wonderful. I thought I was doing better about it this year but I turned on the radio the other day and the song that was playing as I was rushed to the hospital was on, and the tears just started to well up in my eyes. The song is so fitting for what we went through that day, and we played it at his funeral.

Is it normal to get hit with such deep grieving so far after the fact? I think it must be, and I'm trying to give myself permission to feel it out entirely and not cover it with food or anything else. In my head I was writing out my pain, but I still haven't been able to commit those words to paper. Maybe that should be my goal for this year. His little headstone says "A gift of love", and that is how I try to remember him. I need to accept the rest of his gift and let this pain and anger go once and for all.

So, I've been scarce here because I was down and not able to figure out what was wrong with me, but sometimes you read something and things click in your head. Maybe I just needed to let a little of the hurting out; maybe I just needed to acknowledge it is there. I don't know if it is really what is holding me back, but I feel a little better already.

Thanks for bearing with me, everyone. *HUGS*

Andria

5 dogs
02-09-2005, 05:22 PM
To cool BarbPa, we are both in Florida at the same time. How about this weather we are having? Temp. in the 70, sun shining and a cool breeze. I picked my first tomato yesterday and ate it. It was wonderful. Tomato juice was running down my chin.
We are all keeping our fingers crossed that your frozen egg will take. I wish i could send you a baby quilt. First things first. You will get pregnant this time then we can talk about that quilt. I'm getting excited just thinking about it and we haven't even met.

I know what you are talking about Kat when you said "Getting that stuff off your chest made you feel better. I try to talk to my husband about "STUFF" that makes me sad, but he trys to fix my problems. He is a dear sweet man, but sometimes i don't need for him to fix anything, i just need him to listen to me. I think that's a guy thing. Anyway, you are not alone and anytime you need to talk about that stuff, we are here for you.

When i turned 50 and was going down hill fast in the mood swing department, i knew i had to do something. I hate taking pills so decided to try some things of my own to get my mood, crying, upset over nothing under control. I notice that when i ate preservatives, soon after i just felt like crying when there was nothing wrong, and i wanted more of all the wrong things. That was when i started eating fresh. Nothing out of a can, and i started frezing cooked food so i could just pull something out and microwave it and eat. I also asked my local supermarket what they did with the vegetables that they didn't sell. They throe them away just because they are not pretty. I now buy all my vegetables at half price and i feel wonderful. I am not saying that eating fresh is the answer to depression, all i am saying is what i did to help myself get out of taking pills.

So when do you think you will come on down to the sunshine state Cheryll? Fort Myers is about a 3 hour drive from where i live, and gets a little warmer there. If you keep losing weight like you have been, then maybe when you do come down you could bring that little string bikini. Something to shoot for.

Hugs to all of you.
Gloria

lucky
02-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Andria, this post is the first I've read regarding your son. I am so sorry. If it helps at all Greg and I also lost our first son. He was born prematurely and just couldn't hang on. That was March of 1996. I had trouble getting pregnant again which was very frustrating but in 1998, here came Will. We decided to have another baby soon after. I had a sonogram Oct 8, 1 day before Will's first birthday party (He was born Oct 11) only to find that the baby had fluid around her brain. She was diagnosed with Turner's Sydrome so basically our options were to either terminate the pregnancy or wait for her to die. We waited and she was stillborn at on Will's birthday. I was 5 months pregnant. I honestly don't know where we got the courage to try again but I am so glad that we did because we were blessed with Jake and Addie.

I don't believe that grieving has any rules. As long as you are able to function normally in your day to day life, I don't think you should be concerend that you still feel a deep loss even after 6 years. This was your child. And sometimes you will feel it more deeply than others. I am not a believer in the saying "time heals all wounds." Rubbish. But, it does make your wounds more bearable. And under the circumstances I think that is the best we can hope for.

I know it must be an awkward situation for you, your sister, and your sister-in-law. But try and participate as much as you can in celebrating their childrens' lives (birthday parties, etc). Whether they ever admit it or not I am sure they feel a certain amount of guilt - for being glad that it didn't happen to them, not knowing what to say, all of those things. I found that I always had to make the first gesture because, in many ways, the aftermath of our children's deaths was harder on our families than on Greg and I. Not the losses themselves, but in terms of wanting to help us and not knowing how to. Friends were in the same boat. When I returned to work after Quinten was born there were 5 or 6 pregnant girls. They just avoided me because they didn't know what to say, they didn't want to upset me, etc. And, frankly, at first I was glad they did. But then I decided that wasn't fair to any of us. I bit the bullet and congratulated them, asked to see sonogram pictures, what names they had picked out and the like. Then I went to my office, shut the door and cried. I was sad and pissed off. But after that, it was much better. So, if you can, try and bridge that gap between your sister and sister-in-law. They can be a tremendous source of support for you in times like this but they may not ASK to be unless you take the first step to let them know it is okay for them to broach the subject.

We were given a card that really hit home for me. To this day I cry when I read it, but the words still give me comfort:

"When someone comes into our lives....
and they are too quietly and quickly gone,
they leave footprints on our hearts....
and their memory stays with us forever"

If there is anything I can do to help you, if you ever need to let it all out, please feel free to PM or email me. I can't say that I know how you feel but I can assure you that I share the knowledge that there is no greater loss than that of a child you love so dearly.

Tricia

c bo be
02-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Hi everyone,

So much is going on with everyone I don't even know where to begin.

Skittles, I think you might be onto something about all the preservatives in foods. I would say it is more common for our society to be taking anti depressants than taking vitamins. Sad but probably true. Plus we have become so overscheduled, in our everyday lives. Which adds to the stress. And I've never seen more food allergies in kids these days. I work at a school cafeteria, and there are some kids that are so allergic to peanut products that they must be segregated from the other students. Just the aroma could send them to the hospital. Alot of my problems came from very severe PMS. It was awful. Cry, Cry, Cry. For no reason. I felt like I was going crazy. Then 2 years ago a hysterectomy. I wouldn't want to go without my Zoloft.
Sometimes I think as women we think we have to be so strong, well personally I got tired of fighting the battle all the time. I feel so much better. I still get down, but not like before.

Gloria, Are you kidding? I'm going for a thong. Yep, uh huh, oh yeah! Pamela
Anderson watch out.

Well, I just down working out at my toning class and I am going to be sore tommorrow. We did walking lunges which always hurts the next day. My legs felt like jello during class. And I will probably suffer a couple of leg cramps tonight. Anyway, I better get some laundry done myself before tommorrow. Everyone have a good evening.

Cheryll

LuckyLadyBug
02-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Stop do not post here but join us on "Sanctuary - #8 Everyone Welcome"