Support Groups - Back to Basics -- February -- Bring it ON!!

redballoon
02-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Here we go at last! Finally got the new thread going. Seems it wanted the title changed a bit.

Newbies, don't be shy. Hop aboard! We can use all the people we can get!

:dance:

HAL123
02-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Oh I brought it!

redballoon
02-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Early Friday morning here. Well, not so early anymore but I want to try to touch base with you all.

Derry -- We had problems getting a new thread started. Seems there were technical problems with the forum or something. Finally got it going as you can see. I'm sorry to hear about the doctor's diagnosis. Since that route isn't offering you much help I would look into alternative therapies, many of which are downplayed by "traditional" Western medicine. I would think the best path here with arthritis would be nutrition. I know that many foods, especially dairy products, are supposed to aggravate or cause joint pain in many people. I would try to surf the Net and find information on this. How is your doctor going to help you with the weight loss, by the way? As for yoga, it will definitely maintain and improve flexibility. You needn't worry about meditation or breathing or unnatural positions. Yoga is from wherever you start. You do not have to be in a certain position in order for it to "work" or so. Wherever your limits are now, that is where you, naturally, must start from. More importantly, wherever you start from is from where you start reaping the benefits. It's like any exercise. It will help at any point. As for WW points I don't know about them. Certain yoga routines are very calorie consuming, others are mere stretches and I doubt they eat up calories. I understand your not wanting to try to fit more things into your busy day but there is much of yoga that can be done just as you go basically. Even a few stretches while you're still lying in bed can be very beneficial. Watching TV too is a great time to move into a few positions. I would focus on doing that. Just try to get familiar with things. You don't need special mats and clothes to move and be conscious of your body, which is what yoga is about to. I'm afraid so much of the yoga boom has made this out to be some sort of packaged exercise, something to be taken into a studio and done there like aerobics or step classes. It's not. It can be but surely shouldn't fall the victim to that kind of thinking. Yes, as far as I go, the salad and apple were very important in ways. As soon as I lose a little weight I usually put it right back on because I am not making these lifestyle changes. I have to do that and this is what it's about, taking fruit with me while I'm on the move, making sure I get vegetables in me during the day even if it means a bit of extra preparation. Good for you, Linda, on resisting the donuts. If you can break the psychological cues of such things as this -- quilt days = donuts etc. you will be making major changes! Good luck!

Chachee -- Good for you for doing your walking. 45 minutes is longer than you usually go, right? Do you walk watching TV? Yes, bad choices, just not wanting to be bothered thinking about eating "right." That's what happened. The usual story of my life. I've been so busy and there is so much to do that anything I do just doesn't give me a sense of satisfaction. I then eat out of anxiety or something, some feeling of dissatisfaction. Of course, this only makes it worse. It seems I don't get much of a sense of achievement out of a lot of very good choices I make. They have to be bigger, like making that salad was. And they only seem big when I haven't been doing them in a long time. It's like everything. I can be doing so well and the longer I do "well" the less it seems to be a big thing and then it's like I want to swing the other way just so I can feel the swing back to better ways. Of course, this constant swinging is what keeps me stuck at the same place. I suppose what I should do is force myself to go even stricter, much stricter and then the swing back would only take me as far as a "good day" instead of a "bad." Hmm. I may be on to something there.

jolly -- Sorry to hear you're not doing well. And ok, if you want to crack down on yourself, that's a good thing. BUT, please don't get down on yourself while you're doing it. You have EVERY justification. Look at your schedule!! And I'd say that's more than a "glimmer of hope" with the not eating at work. That is MAJOR!! :bravo: It's this kind of thing. DON'T downplay it! These are victories!

llpounds -- hi there. Are you joining the thread? Tell us a little about yourself. I see you're brandnew. I'm afraid I don't know anything about WW and their points. Maybe Derrydaughter can help you. Come on and chat with us.

Apple Blossom -- hello there. Glad to see you're still with us too! No dessert, no beer sounds tough. Maybe just try for one or the other at first and then ease into both? I don't know about you but often I will think of my victories as useless because I'm looking at the failures too. You know, all or nothing. That kind of thinking is self-defeating. Hope you don't do that. So, even though you had that gooey dessert, at least you had the Lean Cuisine. Keep going in the right direction. You're still ahead of me in the weight game. ;)

HAL123
02-03-2005, 06:51 PM
he he sorry Red, I couldn't resist!

redballoon
02-03-2005, 06:54 PM
NBK -- what are you doing over here!! You know this isn't where you normally hang out! Are you looking to expand in more acceptable ways! No really. This is the thread I hung out at before joining Bulge and I try to keep up the two. Sometimes it is way too much for me but I find when I'm in a talkative mood I can handle the two. I tend to do both or nothing. . . story of my life.

As you can see, I spent so much time catching up here today I'm going to have to keep Bulge waiting till this evening. I did nothing this morning for work or exercise, except my fingers. I think that's ok though, considering I was so quiet recently and all that typing I did last night. You guys must be sick of me!

To all the Basics regulars -- NBK is a wayward Kiwi taken to wandering around the board popping up on various threads in mysterious ways. She is one cool cat so have no fears! ;)

HAL123
02-03-2005, 06:57 PM
No worries. I am sure the typing counts, and I know I for one could never get sick of you. Sorry for the intrusion back to basics people, I'll go back to where I belong now!

*grin*

RavenToy
02-04-2005, 06:54 AM
NBK - Feel free to pop in at will.

Red - Sounds like you're still fighting a great deal of stress, did anything ever resolve on the job front?

Jolly - I hope the surgery goes smoothly, and your recovery is quick!!

I got the stereo jack adapter finally. It's only been what... 3 months? Who knows. Anyway, today I'm driving to Arkansas with V - it's roughly a 10 hour drive, maybe a little more. Then trimming and booting classes, and drive back Monday. Then start working on a web site and getting my business cards printed up. Hopefully I'll start getting some folks in who don't mind a beginner working on their horses' hooves. I have to practice on something, right!?!? *sigh* I can only trim my horses' hooves once a week at the most - that's mostly just a light rasp to keep them in shape. I need real challenges to help me learn. I also have three more classes - hoof anatomy, intro to live trimming, and my first mentorship to take before I am officially recognized by the AANHCP as a practitioner in training. One step at a time, eh?

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

derrydaughter
02-04-2005, 07:04 AM
Red, you have several good points. I think I might visit the library this afternoon and see if there is a yoga video I could try out and maybe some books on it. Also, perhaps there is an arthritis cookbook, I might be able to incorporate some stuff into my diet? I do know that I have what are called "flare ups" and some days are so much better than other days, maybe some of it is food related?
I do think some is humidity related, I am best on dryer and sunny days.
Red said:
>Yes, as far as I go, the salad and apple were very >important in ways. As soon as I lose a little weight I >usually put it right back on because I am not making >these lifestyle changes. I have to do that and this is what >it's about, taking fruit with me while I'm on the move, >making sure I get vegetables in me during the day even if >it means a bit of extra preparation. Good for you, Linda, >on resisting the donuts. If you can break the >psychological cues of such things as this -- quilt days = >donuts etc. you will be making major changes! Good >luck!
I think that is what it is all about for most of us, don't you all? WE have certain habits, the "cues" are very much there. I always go into this doughnut shop to buy coffee on my way to my quilt group on Thursday mornings. Nothing wrong with having some coffee, right? But, when I get in there, the smell of the doughnuts is almost intoxicating. Yesterday, when I passed on the doughnut, I kept telling myself..... you HAD breakfast already, you HAD a nice bran muffin (homemade even!) and you HAD an apple, you should feel quite full. Had I not smelled the doughnuts, I'd have been ok. But, I talked myself out of having one. I did buy some of their low carb "Mountain Bread" to bring home and try. It's like a pita bread, but folds out into large squares. Had with dinner last night and it reminded me of making better choices for myself.
I knew I would want a second helping of the rice pilaf (a family favorite that is NOT low fat) that I made for dinner as I love that stuff, but I had the low carb mountain bread instead of the 2nd helping of the rice. It is big and chewy and takes awhile to eat (we were joking it was like eating shoe leather!). I didn't "love" it, but it occupied me to eat it long enough for my stomach to recognize I was full!
Yeah for NSVs!
Red, I know you live alone. When you make a salad, do you make a BIG salad, so you can take portions of it to work with you or eat it at home as well? You should, if you are not already. I used to know a woman that bought a huge flat plastic container and would make a huge salad every two or three days, she would take servings from that and the family members in her house always knew there was salad available, any time day or night. I guess we could all learn from that as they were a skinny family! Guess they just liked salad?
The best thing about her flat/low container was that it fit on a refrigerator shelf and she could store some stuff on top of it, so she didn't feel like she was sacrificing space in the refrigerator to do this, I guess! Smart lady!
Red, you could always prepare salads and put a few in zip lock bags so you could have them stacked and ready to go! I'm into convenience. I can get very lazy and sometimes the salad that is NOT made won't ever get made... do you all have the best intentions and buy all these great salad ingredients and then have them go bad and not get eaten while you eat other stuff - shame on me! I think I'll make a big salad today!
Yes, welcome to our newcomers, and if I can help out with WW info, I'd be glad to! Chach does WW too.
NBK, you don't have to feel that you need to "go back where you belong", you are welcome. Sounds like you might be fun!
Well, as for me, have to head to a news conference today, talk about emotional! Yikes! If I were going to a doughnut shop today, it sure would be hard. The teen center where both my kids go for music and theater programs has lost funding and slotted to close the last day of February, they are having a news conference to announce this and make a final appeal for more funding from the community. I hope they make it, my kids would be devastated if this place closes. If I were rich, I would fund them. So, I have to get my emotions in check today and not let my sadness rule what goes into my mouth.
Linda

derrydaughter
02-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Hey Raven, you post popped in just as I was doing mine..... glad you are getting this new venture of yours in gear! Keep us posted. I hope this all works out for you in terms of making an income and being "your own boss".
Linda

jollygirl
02-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Hey all. Time for a real quick fly by post. Glad to see we where finally ableto get February up and running. That reminds me, I need to change my calendar . . .

OK. I am back. Derry, I don't know too much about how food effects arthritis, but I know weather is a huge factor for a lot of folks with arthritis. Also, for exercise, walking and pool work are wonderful for it. My dad has finally gotten his pain a little better managed, and is walking quite a bit - he has lost weight, which helps the pain too. And any swimming, water aerobics, or even just walking in the pool is good. Allows for exercise, without so much stress on the joints. Just make sure the pool is warm enough, or the cold can actually cause more problems.

Welcome new voices. Raven, I hope this weekend is terrific. Glad you popped in.

I only have 1 1/2 days of work before my surgery :D I am excited. Plus, the two days off of work will be nice. Still needing kicks though. I am getting soooo lazy, and I need to be getting back in the routine as soon as I can after my surgery.

Have a great day all. Will try to hop on more over the weekend. Throwing a Mardi Gras party though, so we'll see.

Chachee
02-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Finally, the new thread.

I guess I missed what Linda said about her arthritis. My mom suffers from that and I do also in my knees. Not horrible for me, but my mom has a very tough time with it. I know when she eats a lot of yeast and/or sugar, it really affects how she feels with it. She's in a lot more pain and it's more difficult for her to move around. I'll have to go and read the old post once I respond here and see exactly what is going on. I agree with Jolly, walking and water exercises are the best for relief from what my mom says.

Jolly: Good luck with your surgery. Will you be MIA on the boards also for awhile? I'm going to say a bunch of prayers for you, but I know you will do just fine! I can't wait to hear how great the vision is and how well you recovered. Have fun with your Mardi Gras party.

Red: I usually walk 60 minutes each morning on the treadmill. I could probably get more miles in, but I give myself a good 10 minute warm up and 10 minute cool down. I'm usually sleepy in the morning, so I'm careful warming up so I don't trip on my own feet! I loved your "swinging" analogy of your weight loss journey. Isn't that so true!! Maybe that swing could come my direction and lop me upside the head!

Raven: Have a great weekend, and be safe! Come back and tell us all about your wonderful trip with V!

Hi to NBK. Welcome to this thread.

Ladies, it's the weekend, so I'll be ducking out for the next two days. Have a great weekend and I'm going to stay on program. I have a haircut tomorrow, brunch on Sunday (always a challenge) and finishing my mom's birthday quilt so I can take it with me. Whew, only two more weeks then it's vacation time!

Happy Friday!

Chach

redballoon
02-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Good morning people. Sorry, no time to catch up here. Saturday morning and I had another late night last night but I'm off to work in a few minutes thank God. No missed workday like last week! Glad to see so many people posting. And Linda, thanks, by the way, for the ideas for having food on hand and so. I need to think up more of these things and incorporate them. Ok, I'll be back. Take care all!

derrydaughter
02-05-2005, 07:58 AM
Hi everyone! Well, it was a nice suggestion in terms of having food ready, but I should be doing it too! Yesterday was spent running around like a maniac, but I did manage to eat reasonably well.
I also did my body sculpting tape and got on the treadmill for 20 minutes, so about an hour of exercise for me! One of my good friends told me my butt looked skinny yesteray and I was looking really good and that I must be close to goal! That made it all worthwhile for me! Let's all try to remember to give people we know positive feedback when we take note that they look better!
Linda

redballoon
02-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Linda, sounds like you are doing well with your exercising and eating despite your busy schedule. And that's great that you got a compliment, a well-deserved one! and something to lift your spirits. Yes, it's something we should all remember, to say nice things about people!

I had a horrible day yesterday. I ate and ate, really had a sugar binge all day long. I am disgusted with myself but know why I did it. Because I was out partying again Friday night and was so tired and ill Saturday but we were busy at work and I ate when I only wanted to sleep but couldn't. Another reason to either forgo the partying, be extra vigilant the day after or just put a stop on my emotions and stop the downslide that comes when I feel I've blown it. I've been this bad, why not some more kind of thinking. Well, I'm not beating myself up about it anymore. I'm learning from it all. Learning how to deal WITH myself and not try to force myself into some mold of SHOULDS and SHOULDN'TS. Even though yesterday was bad, I did make a big salad and got some healthy food in while shoveling in the junk. And I did make it to the office and I did work when I came home so all was not lost.

Hope things are going well for you all out there. Hope to hear from you soon! :wave:

jollygirl
02-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Good morning all. Red, I hear you on the lack of sleep thing. I finally went to the gym yesterday, but I am sitting here posting to you guys while making lunch, when I should be at the gym today. I had my Mardi Gras dinner last night. Everyone left late. Got to bed even later after I cleaned up. Early church and Sunday school this mroning. And, a lovely headache due to decreasing my caffeine. I have been slowly weaning myself off. 2 cans a day for several days. One can today, one tomorrow - then done. I timed it to finish off the case of diet pepsi I had purchased and my surgery date, since I can't have caffeine that day anyway. So, all that complaining aside, yes, lack of sleep makes it very hard to make healthy choices. Sigh.

So anyway. Off to the barn in a bit. I shouldn't be MIA, unless things go really wonky with the surgery. I can post before I go in, and you should have marked improvement by the next day. Let's hope.

Have a good rest of the day all. Off to ride, then to a Super Bowl party.

derrydaughter
02-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Hi guys, just a quick post from me, sorry I missed yesterday - Super Bowl and it was a super food fest for me.... oh well.
I have an all day meeting today, making quilts for children with cancer!
So, will be back later on to tell you all about what a dismal job I did.
My own scale is showing me three pounds UP, what the heck? That can't be right and that can't be just from yesterday, no what have I done?
Linda

redballoon
02-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Derry, Heh, there, don't stress about the scale. You probably didn't DO anything wrong. If you can't think of it then it's just got to be water or something. It'll go away again. Making quilts for kids with cancer, how sweet of you. I'm sure your work was beautiful! :sunny:

jollygirl
02-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Hey all. just got to my work computer. I have a couple of "saves" to report. 1- I threw out a lot of leftovers from my mardi gras party. Get rid of temptation. 2 - I actually had breakfast food for breakfast today. 3- I made it to the gym. 4 - I had my last can of soda. And nobody has died yet. Today has been a day of good choices overall. Hurray.

Have a great day all.

redballoon
02-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi there jolly, Good for you!! What a day! Is it your birthday perhaps?! Maybe there is a hint of spring in the air and you are feeling empowered! Send some my way, please!

jollygirl
02-08-2005, 01:39 AM
Hey everybody. I just have to do one more flyby post, to report another NSV. I got home tonight from my day job, to hear a message from the place that is doing my eye surgery, wondering if I had cancelled my appointment.:fr: It turns out that the doctor decided to only do my kind of surgery in the morning. Nice to tell me less than 24 hours before an appointment I have had scheduled for 3 months, and make me have to rearrange transportation etc. Needless to say, I was a wreck!!!! But, I didn't eat. I was thinking about self medicating with some ice cream at my part time job, but didn't. Didn't have anything at all.

Major.

Have agood one everyone.

redballoon
02-08-2005, 02:29 AM
Wow, jolly, this makes two congratulatory posts for you in a row! That was major. Don't know how you did it. Good for you! :yes:

I wish you all the best with your surgery. Let's just say the 24 hour notice will work out in your favor. At least you were able to keep the appointment, right? Maybe the doctor is steadier in the morning! less tired!! so this probably is a very good thing for you.

Apple Blossom
02-08-2005, 03:24 AM
Hey
Super Sunday didn't go well for me either, but today did so there! :p
I watched the game at my SIL and recently I haven't enjoyed my visits there. She has a wonderful family and all but I always leave there feeling really bad about myself. She and her husband are frequently critical of other relatives and friends and I always wonder if they talk like that about me when I'm not there. I always manage to say one stupid thing that I regret and then the rest of the visit is ruined. Plus they have alot more money than we do and thier house is gorgeous and their kids are well behaved and smart yadda yadda yadda. As you may have guessed, I have a bit of a self esteem problem. So I'm thinking the least I can do is lose a little weight, it's not THAT difficult and I'll have one less thing for people to criticize me about. Oh this sounds so terrible. I'm not THAT insecure. I'll be fine.
I'm having some problems with my oldest son too. He's 7. Two days in a row he has hurt the baby (8 mos old) The first time he was "punishing him" for dumping some toys out of a basket. The second time he claimed it was an accident. I saw it happen and although he may not have intended to actually touch the baby, he shouldn't have been doing what he was doing anyway. He of course reacted to my punishments with a tremendous amount of anger and he hates me and all of that. My main concern, well there are 2 concerns. His anger and his lack of compassion. How can I teach him that?
Sorry to vent. I usually try just to stick to weight loss issues here but this is weighing heavy on my mind (no pun intended) and I needed to unload.
In other news, the battery in my scale died and I'm king of glad and won't be rushing out to get a new one.
Linda- I've taken yoga classes and I absolutely love them! I highly recommend a class, because it makes a huge difference if there is someone there to tell you what you may be doing wrong. You can't really get that from a video. It's not that you'll hurt yourself or anything, it just feels better to do it right. And don't worry about your wandering mind. I'm the same way. Yoga doesn't have to be about meditaion, but you will be amazed at how calm and peaceful you will feel when you are done.
My husband is away all week, so I'm giving myself a happy face for each day I do well while he's gone. Hopefully there will be 5 smiley guys by the week-end.
Later, chicks!
:D

redballoon
02-08-2005, 04:56 AM
Hi there Apple Blossom, glad to hear from you again. Sorry to hear you didn't have a good time for the game at your sister in law's. I don't know what to say except that if you're not enjoying yourself then I would just not go. I mean, it doesn't sound like a self-esteem problem necessarily. Maybe they have a way of making anyone feel bad. Why think it's your fault? Some people just love to ***** and criticize about people, kind of like a hobby. It can be a real downer. On the other hand, if it's constructive criticism then so what? In any case I hope you don't feel too down. Nobody chooses relatives and I think it's unusual when people do hit it off. Don't worry about it. Maybe you could meet them outside next time at a restaurant of YOUR choice or see a movie together and go for a drink afterward. That way you won't see the ritzy house and you can ignore the kids. Don't compare!

As for your boy I think the best thing is always not to punish but to do a lot of "showing" and some explaining. Usually the kids just want attention and a hug. The older boy could be feeling very left out or frustrated. He could be very jealous. I wouldn't think of these as issues or anything. Did you try sitting down and really talking to your son, open and non-judgmental? Maybe it was an accident. Maybe he's testing you to see if you love him, if he FEELS you love him, there's a big difference there.

Oh, Apple, don't feel down. Kids always "hate" parents and get very emotional. I would just talk to him and give him attention, not try to punish him but do let him know he mustn't punish the baby himself. I mean after all the kids are just copying what the parents are doing (well, I don't know if you hit him but even so or not, the boy is trying to find his own way of "punishing" no doubt). You can guide him here, not with reprimands but with teaching. Seven is very young. Kids should be emotional and there's nothing wrong with anger. Teach him an outlet that won't hurt himself or others, like pounding a pillow, screaming into a pillow, running fast or playing baseball (great swinging that bat). It's never about getting rid of anger it's about channeling it. I mean, kids and teens are full of anger. I know I was but I certainly turned out OK. In fact, I think my anger when I was younger was really my saving grace. It taught me to protect myself. I'd say, if anything, people who have problems with anger escalating when they're older are usually the people who were forced to suppress their emotions when they were children, either they were directly told to or they did so out of fear. If any emotion is not given expression it will come out in unacceptable, unwanted or even dangerous ways later.

Well, I'll get off my soapbox here.

Good luck for this week. I hope to see lots of happy faces by the end it! :yes:

derrydaughter
02-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Hey guys, I bit down in the dumps this morning as I totally blew it. I weigh in today and we'll see what the results are, but I am sad. Why can't I just stick with this? Why can't I eat what everyone else seems to be able to eat and when I have one or two indescretions, the scale JUMPS. I hate food, I love food, I need food, food sucks, food is wonderful and fun.... mixed up, right?
Thanks for the thoughts.
Apple Blossom, I seem to recall my oldest "punished" the youngest as well, they are 2 1/2 years appart, but I had to step in often. It's probably quite typical, but certainly adds stress.
And, I feel for you about the family members who seem to put others down all the time. I used to live near a woman that was like that all the time. I found myself going along with it, but felt awful about it. I think it taught me to be a better person. I have TRIED (boy is it hard) to have a philosophy that if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. The one I used to know who did the most criticizing, I think, was the most insecure. I kind of figured her out after awhile and realized that she made herself feel better by putting other people down.
One interesting thing, also, is that this one woman also had a very ritzy house. Her kids were NOT perfect, but she sure tried to give everyone around here the impression that they were. Here I am "talking" about her, though.... hmmm.... At any rate, you don't know her, don't know her name, etc. anyway, but she was awfully caught up in making impressions on everyone. Just remember, (good for all of us) the only person you have to worry about it yourself and of course your own family, I mean immediate family.
Like Red said, you can pick your friends but not your relatives! I'm sure you are not in a positition to choose not to go there, but you can try to remain positive and change the subject when things get uncomfortable. You can be especially sweet and helpful, and kind of "kill the with kindness".
Jolly, hope you got your schedule straightened out.
Linda

michellez
02-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi everyone --

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. Last week, I was so busy with work and then also going to the gym every day. Then on Thursday, I came down with bronchitis. It started on Wednesday afternoon as a sore throat and raspy voice. By Thursday afternoon, I was running a fever so I left work at noon. I was home sick on Friday too. I went to the doc on Friday and he put me on antibiotics and Prednisone to help clear out my lungs. I basically slept all weekend. I went to work yesterday, and then to the gym last night to do the training session (I'd missed Saturday's session due to being sick, so I didn't want to miss another one). Luckily, we did mostly weights, and I did okay.

We also weighed in and measured last night. This past week, even with being sick and not being able to work out for 4 days, I lost 4 lbs and 6 inches (throughout my whole body -- though I seem to be losing more on my waist and thighs). This brings my total lost since starting this challenge at the gym to 8 lbs. and 14 inches. Woooo Hoooo!!

As I said, we did a training session last night, and I have another one tomorrow night. I may go to the gym tonight to do cardio...I'm going to wait and see how my lungs feel. On Saturday, we're doing a boot camp! Yikes! Our trainer said there will be weights, abs, cardio, including jumping jacks and mountain climbers - which I don't like. There will be 4 trainers, each doing a different station, and we'll run from station to station. It'll go for about 2 hours straight. She told us that we will work very, very hard -- we will swear, scream, maybe even cry. She is a great trainer, but she is a drill sergeant.

She gave us all goals for this week. My goal is to lose 6 pounds and 8 inches. The other people's goals are equally challenging (and possibly unrealistic) too. She said anyone that meets their goal for this week doesn't have to do the second boot camp which will happen in a few weeks -- definitely good incentive. So I'm going to work out as much as my recuperating body will allow and eat right. I don't know if I'll be able to achieve my goal, but it is something to strive for, and all losses are good ones.

I hope you all are doing okay. Now that I've checked in, I hope to get some time to catch up on all your posts.

derrydaughter
02-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Michelle, great job on the loss, sorry you are not feeling well, though.
As for me, I went to my ww meeting and I did have a teeny loss of .2
Not much, but better than a gain or even staying the same.
Linda

Apple Blossom
02-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all the support everyone!
I am feeling better about myself today. My son really is a normal kid. He's definately jealous of the baby (and his sister) and he has a hard time when his dad has to travel so much. Yesterday was the first day of a long trip and he seems to have a hard time on that first day. I need to calm down a bit and set a good example.
And my sister in law is really an awesome person, I love them (the whole family) all very much. I just feel really overwhelmed when I visit and it's worse if I'm having a low self esteem day. I wouldn't turn down an invitation to visit especially since my kids love going there too.
Do you ever think that "if only I lost some weight everything would be better?" One less thing to worry about. One less thing to bring you down. I have a feeling it doesn't make all that much difference......It's who's inside that counts. Unforunately out society emphasizes physical appearance and i's become a huge part of self-esteem.
So far I'm having a decent day. I took a walk with the baby in addition to the walks to and from school. I made cupcakes for my meeting tonight and so far I haven't eaten one. If I do there won't be enough. I did lick the spoon. And bowl. And spatula. And wisk. :^: If I eat a Lean Cusine and refrain from cupcakes and beer tonight, I should earn a smiley face. See you all later...

Chachee
02-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Hi Ladies,

Sorry I've been MIA. I've been stressed, eating horribly, and trying to find a balance. Let's see, where to start...

My FIL had surgery this morning. Has a very bad hernia and they had to do a lot of repair and fixing for him. He's off work for two weeks,and that will put a strain on them financially. We help out with $500 each month, so I am hoping it doesn't need to go above and beyond that. I say that because...

My parents have been struggling since shutting down their business two years ago. They both have full time jobs, but with so much debt left over from the business it's hard for them to make ends meet. My hubby and myself have been very clear that they just need to let us know if they need help and we'll help them out however they need. We made it clear that they needed to let us know in a timely manner, so it's not an overwhelming amount to pay at once. Well, in speaking with them on Friday I found out they are 1 1/2 months behind on bills. I know they are pridefull, but dang, tell me sooner rather than later. So, this in addition to having hardly any groceries in the house is quite a problem. They have spoken with a lawyer and are planning on filing bankruptcy for the business, protecting their home and vehicles. If the judge decides to take the truck,then we have to purchase it and sell it back to them so they don't lose it. That is $4000 approximately. It wouldn't be such a problem, but....

The substantial raise my hubby was due to get mid-January has not posted and got "lost". It's all figured out now, but we will not be seeing that money until March 1. We had hoped to see it next week. (By substantial I mean close to $1000.) And then...

My son got sick last night. He was throwing up and was so sick. I had an appointment here at work at 2:00 pm, so I had to be here for the afternoon. Hubby went to work this morning and then came home so I could come into work. We did not get to bed until midnight because the battery in the smoke detector in our bedroom died and the chirping kept us up until we disconnected it from the home. And now...

It's snowing outside, and I need to go to the store and get medicine for my son. There is about a foot on the ground that has fallen since around 9 this morning.

Sorry to vent also, but dang, will it ever end? I turned to my friend food for comfort and it didn't help, just made me feel sick.

Jolly: I'm keeping you in my prayers for a wonderful surgery and quick recovery. Keep us posted when you can.

Linda: Great job on the loss. I am at the same point with food right now that you are. Just peeves me.

Red: Thanks for holding us together these last two weeks. Seems like you are the one who has been faithful with support and everything else.

Apple: Relatives...what can I say? I don't have a lot of them because there have been so many that have screwed me and/or my family over. I write them off. I can't pick them, but I can also choose not to associate with them. It doesn't seem as yours are as horrible as mine are, but remember that you can choose to not spend time and get involved in their cattiness.

Michelle: Great job on the gym. You are doing so well!

Alright, back to work for me. I will try to get in here and post more frequently. Ugh, just a lot going on.

Happy (?) Tuesday

Chach

jollygirl
02-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Hey all. Just a quick fly by post, so I can go rest my new eyes. The surgery went well. I can see. It was a pretty scary procedure, but I am happy so far with the results. I will try to post more tomorrow, after I have had time to rest.

Take care all, my thoughts are with you. And thanks for your thoughts and prayers :)

redballoon
02-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi jolly! So glad to hear things went well. Get some rest now!

redballoon
02-09-2005, 12:07 AM
By the way, Derry! It's Wednesday here, first day of Lent, right?! I'm going to do something. Are you still game?

derrydaughter
02-09-2005, 07:55 AM
Gosh, Chach, I feel for you. What a situation you are in, no wonder you turned to your friend food. You are right in saying "when will it all end".I hope your son is better. My son was home sick the last two days and went off to "try" to make it thought a day today. He's had a cold/virus/flu thing with a bad cough and whatnot. Not fun. So far, the rest of us have not "fallen".
Jolly, you must tell us more about this procedure and how it all went for you. I have thought of it myself, but am scared.
How's it going Red? Any news Raven?
Apple Blossom, you sound much better today. I agree that sometimes I do think that if I just could finish losing this weight that everything would be ok. But, you are who you are, no matter what. I guess that's a good thought for the day.
I'm still ME, I will still have insecurities and still do about the same things I do now, I guess. I just need to establish more self control.
I was in control for supper last night, and I was proud of myself. We ordered take out from a local pizza place, as we had two meetings to attend. I usually can't resist their onion rings and French fries as well as pizza. It's really, really bad. But, last night, I ordered a pita sandwich, turkey on pita with lettuce, tomato and VERY light mayo. It was good. In fact, it was so big when I got it and it was cut in half, I put the other half away to have for lunch today, an NSV!
Today will be a day of being very busy, it will be a test of my control.
Also, we're expecting up to 18" of fresh snow today, now what will be do with that? We still have tons left over from the last storm.
Linda

Chachee
02-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Good morning, Ladies.

Jolly: I'm so glad everything went well for you. We welcome you and your new eyes back once you can make it! I'm so glad you got this procedure done. I'm sure it's going to make a world of difference for you.

Linda: Okay, Lent started, right? I couldn't remember the exact date. I am joining you for this. I had some time to think about it, and I know what I need to give up. I could say chocolate, but I would fail at that. I could say sweets, but I would fail at that. So, I'm going to try and tackle one of my biggest hinderances in my weight loss struggles. I am a compulsive snacker. Not even when I am hungry. Just snack snack snack. I woke up this morning and decided on it. So, here is what I shall do to make sure I am successfull:

On days that I work, I will allow myself one snack mid-morning (preferably a fruit) and for mid afternoon/evening snack I will pop a bag of FF popcorn. What I don't eat mid-afternoon will then be my evening snack. I will cut about 8-10 points off my day by doing this. Now, when I am on vacation, I will also have two snacks in a day, I just can't tell you what they will be.

Some may think this is not a big thing to give up, but let me tell you, considering I usually have 4 snacks at work and two at home, it's big.

I'll commit for the next 45 days, or whenever it ends.

Happy Wednesday!

Chach

jollygirl
02-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Hi all. Well, I had my check up this morning, and I am now 20/25 in one eye, and 20/30 in the other. Good enough to drive. They think it will get even a little better as the eyes stabilize, and I will most likely not need another procedure. This is pretty good, considering how bad my eyes were to start. The procedure does not hurt at all. The hardest part is when the make a flap in your cornea. it is hard to stay still as they are coming at your eye. We are all so protective of our eyes!! Again, it doesn't hurt. YOu do feel a little pressure - kind of like when you get stitches. There is some tugging, but no pain. As freaked out as I was yesterday, I am so glad I had it done, and it is well worth it.

Chachee, i hope things work out for your folks, and settle down for you soon.

Apple, I used to think I had self esteem problems because I was overweight. As I travel on this weight loss/ self discovery journey, I have come to realize, I have my weight problem because I have low self esteem.

I think I will give up chips for lent. I already gave up caffeinated sodas, and am trying to only drink non-caffeinated ones as a last resort. Chocolate would be a bit hard right now, so I will try chips. I too am a queen snacker.

Have a great day all. 6 more days until I need kicks in the butt to get back to the gym.

derrydaughter
02-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi guys! Fascinating to read about your procedure, Jolly. Cool! Glad to see some others giving up something for Lent. We can do it! Today is DAY 1 without chocolate! I've done it and I bought the snack packs of pudding in vanilla and tapioca (just 2 ww points each) to have for my desserts. I like them, especially tapioca.
It's funny, I didn't miss chocolate today, at least. Maybe I just knew that I was "off" it today and that was that? It seemed almost too easy. But, the true test will be Valentines day, usually a chocolate festival in this house.
So, chips, extra snacking and chocolate are now "out" until Easter. Anyone else "game" for this?
Linda

redballoon
02-10-2005, 04:38 AM
Hello all. I'm on the second day of no sugar, none at all, no added sugar in sauces or crackers, nothing. The only thing I'm allowing myself is sugarless gum and that just sometimes. I will not worry that much if I eat out though, like if there's sugar in a sauce or bread, but if I'm buying, I'll check the labels.

Actually I'm making this a "Four for Forty" thing. I'm giving up four things for Lent.

1. Sugar
2. these filled dumpling things I always buy at the covenience stores
3. these deep-fried "croquettes"
4. all nuts!! (natural peanut butter is OK)

I decided if I'm going to do this I may as well go all the way. Giving up sugar is not that hard for me anymore as I've done it many times before, once for a whole year. It's just recently I didn't feel like "deciding" to do it. But I am decided now and so I know I can do it. But then I got thinking, why not really suffer a bit and give up all the things I turn to when I give up sugar, which are the above three others! The nuts is going to be hardest because I love cashews and have them every day!

I didn't think of this soon enough though so I started No. 1 the first day, No. 2 and 3 today (the 2nd day) and will start No. 4 from tomorrow, Day 3 of Lent.

Wish me luck!!

derry -- Good luck with your challenge. You've got a three-way one, don't you? Don't even mention chocolate. Please! I have been on something of a chocolate kick myself these days, which is odd, because normally I wasn't that big into chocolate. Really, with Valentine's Day, I was thinking, I can't remember ever having not eaten chocolate then so I guess even if I did give up something for Lent, VDay was considered an exception I guess. Sorry to hear your son's been sick. I hope he's better now and you don't come down with anything.

jolly -- yes, thanks for telling us about the procedure. Very interesting. I wonder why they do the procedure with you awake. I don't think I could do that! You're much braver than I am! I really hope your eyes improve and you won't need another procedure. Interesting point about the self-esteem -- weight problem vicious cycle. I suppose everyone's slide into overweight is different and then once you're there it makes a lot of things worse and hard to see whether it was the chicken or the egg. Good luck on your Lenten chips abstinence too! You're making me feel very bad about not getting to the gym. I haven't been there in weeks now. Wanted to go tomorrow morning but since I just remembered it's a holiday here they won't be open early enough to go in the morning and they'll close too early at night to go after work. Darn!

Chachee -- you too, good luck on your regulated snacking! Sounds like a great idea and believe me! I DO know how snacks can get out of hand. Lent is until Easter, 40 days from Feb. 9. How is your son as well? Over his illness? Really sorry to hear about the money troubles. I suppose it was very hard for your parents to talk about not being able to pay the bills. Only 1.5 months behind is not much. Perhaps they were hoping for another way to get out of it or just wanting to turn a blind eye to it. I know how disappointing and problem-causing it can be to be counting on money and then not have it come in. Wow, I've flipped a few times in such cases. At least it'll be there come next month. Hang on!

Apple -- How are you doing? It sounds like you calmed down a bit. That's good. You sound like me, trying to stay away from the beer. I don't think I could handle baking cupcakes and not eating one or two or three. . .

michelle -- good to hear from you again. Wow, a lot of illness going around. Are you totally over it yet? I had bronchitis very bad once. Doc put me on bed rest for a week. Said it was nearly pneumonia. On the weight loss side, however, WOW!! look at you go!! :cp: It must be so exciting for you to see your body changing this way. I sure hope you can keep this up after this challenge is over. It sounds fantastic. Have fun!

derrydaughter
02-10-2005, 07:50 AM
Wow, Red, are you ever on board with the Lent thing, cool! My son is better, now my daughter is sick. I wonder if she's got a sinus infection? May call the doctor, but getting her there would be difficult as we are in the middle of what New Englanders call a N'Oreaster (blizzard). Wonder if they would give her something over the phone?
They usually don't.
You know, I don't recall any Valentines Day, ever, that I didn't have chocolate. But, I will get through this! Day one was easy. Just finished breakfast and day 2 is starting out "in control". I haven't been working out that much as I've been totally swamped. But, today, I will.
I really wonder if chocolate has made me more out of control with my cravings? Seems like it became awfully important to me, more than just sweets or anything else. I wonder if I might do better, overall, with my weight loss with this challenge? Time will tell.
Great job everyone, really amazing!
Linda

jollygirl
02-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Hey all. Back to work today - oh joy, oh joy. Wait - I can't see! I must go home :rofl:

OK. Enough of that.

Red, you have to be awake because you have to be able to focus on the right spot, to have your eye positioned properly for the laser. Otherwise it might not hit the correct spot, and you wouldn't get the right correction. Like I said, it is painless, just freaky being your eyes.

Well, the hardest part for me is being back at work and not snacking on chips or having any soda. I will allow myself some caffeine free soda, but ONLY if I can't stand it otherwise. I would really rather not spend the money.

So, back to work. I hope everyone does well with their resolutions, has family getting better soon, and sees the money they expect to.

Have a wonderful day.

RavenToy
02-10-2005, 02:40 PM
How the mighty have fallen. And in such short order, too. But I will not let the disappointment of my shortcomings dissuade me from my goals.

I was up to running nearly 5K last fall. Today, I am so tight and inflexible that 3 minutes into my walk (WALK!) and my achilles tendon is aching like ****.

It is all about building up to it again, I know that. Again. Again and again and again. When will this become my life instead of something I do for 6 months and stop? This must happen.

In the face of all this, I still felt wonderful on the treadmill. It felt so GOOD to be on the right path again. It is one of the few places I can go to get away from everyone. I listen to my music with my headphones on, and everyone knows to not bother me when I知 out there. It痴 my private time. Time to daydream, visualize goals, create plans of attack, and let my mind wander.

Treadmill - 2 Miles, 38:30.

jollygirl
02-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey all. Just a quick flyby post. I caved in this morning and got a doughnut and some low fat chocolate milk. BUT - I passed up the chips several times, and that stubborn little twit of a child inside me really wanted some, just because I said I wasn't going to have any. Same thing with soda. I almost bought some diet, decaf - just to have in case. In case of what? I teleport into the Sahara??? Stupid. So, two mini battles won.

Have a great night all.

redballoon
02-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Hi people. I'm wrapping up Day 3 of Lent and so far so good. The sugar is the hardest. I know I can do it because I have done it before but today I think the hardest was remembering I wasn't eating certain things, especially sugar. It was as if sugar in all shapes and forms suddenly became the only things that came to mind. It was ridiculous! My world has been reduced to visions of sugar plums!!

Derry -- Sorry to hear your daughter is now sick. These things do go the rounds, don't they. How is the weather? Hope you were able to see a doctor or get some medicine. How old is your daughter, by the way? Yes, Valentine's Day will be a problem I'm sure. Perhaps I can get around it by buying up some post VDay chocolate cheap and saving it till Easter. How are you doing? I think you can do better with weight loss if you try to substitute low calorie things for the chocolate. I usually don't do this, that's when I turn to nuts and deep-fried things, even chips, which I normally NEVER eat. Be careful you don't compensate in a high calorie way! Good luck!

jolly -- Thanks. I now understand about the operation. I don't think I could do that. Honestly. I can't even put eye drops in without holding my eyelid open and I can't be looking at the bottle. I do it in a mirror. Do they hold your eyelids open with something? Despite your little cave-in, it wasn't so bad. Like you said, you didn't have the chips and great save with the soda. Count down til Easter. Eyes on the goal!

Raven -- It's all about starting over again, isn't it? Take heart. Even top athletes have to start from zero after an accident or injury. Think of yourself like an athlete in rehabilitation. I was *****ing in the same way you were on another thread about the again and again and again and I am SO sick of it!! But let's just do it again and again. At least we're alive, at least we can. Let's have fun with what we have now. There is a young man in my neighborhood in a wheelchair. He was hit by a truck when he was 18, about 10 years ago, All he can use is his left arm. I talk to him and we've been out drinking. I think of him when I'm complaining about not being able to exercise, or not wanting to. I think of how he doesn't even have a choice and though maybe it doesn't make me get to the gym or work out I realize I am so privileged to even have that choice. Yes, you felt good on that treadmill. Do it because it feels good. Maybe you're putting too much importance on these goals of weight loss and a great body. I know I do. We have to just feel good in our bodies and then maybe improve just a little bit BECAUSE it feels good too. Let's try it, Rave.

RavenToy
02-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Red - I think that's where I'm trying to get to. I have a great appreciation for the fact that I'm healthy and have the use of all my body parts.. I've gone through enough in my life to really respect that. It isn't something I take lightly, or for granted. In an instant... too many things can change. I think what I'm frustrated by is that I'm not taking full advantage of the capabilities I DO have. That bothers me. I'm strong, I'm healthy, I have all this wonderful potential. But it's only that, potential. If I don't do anything with it, that will never change. I think if things don't bug us, don't bother us about ourselves, we get complacent. I think there is a place for dissatisfaction within us. But it has to be to get us moving forward, not depress us to the point where we sink into being a blob.

I know that by choosing to move into a career that will demand that I be physically fit - not necessarily beautiful or slender - but strong and capable, I'm making a very positive change in my life. If I want to excel in this field, I'd better take care of my body. This has given me kind of the "reason" (I hate needing one) to get in shape again. Not "just" because it's healthy or "just" because I *should*. It's kind of like changing your life because you have diabetes or something... why can we do it then, but not to PREVENT it from happening? Bah. Anyway, my goals have changed a lot in the last couple weeks. And the feeling of doing this because my livelihood depends on it is kind of unique and cool. :D

Chachee
02-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Good morning ladies.

Not much going on here. I've been struggling with some back pain this week, so my exercise is not where it should have been. On the other hand, eating has been very good. So, it's a 50/50 sort of week.

I'm not going to weigh weekly anymore. I need to get away from validating my new lifestyle with the number on the scale. Things are looser, I feel better and can do more things by being active. The numbers on the scale will go down, but I am not giving them the power they have had for so long. I think I'll weigh on the last day of the month and have that be my number.

Good to see you back, Raven. Its always tough starting back again, but the only other option is to not do anything, and I know that is not in your plan. Good for you for following your dreams.

Red: Excellent job on the Lent thing. I am also doing well. No mindless snacking so far. I truly examine if I am hungry. If not, then no snack. If I am, have a healthy snack instead of junk. Works for me.

Derry: I'm going to be good for Valentines Day. Hubby and I are only exchanging cards. We are going to stay overnight at the beach when we get down to Oregon. That is our present to ourselves. Not food. Makes me happy.

Jolly: I'm so glad things are going well for you after surgery. I would be way too freaked out to have it done. Thankfully I don't have eye problems---yet. Great job on the mini victories!

Well, I'm outta here for the weekend. We leave next Friday for two weeks. I won't be checking in on the thread, either. No computers or anything--just having fun with my family and friends.

I'll keep checking in next week.

Happy Weekend!

Chach

Apple Blossom
02-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Hey, I haven't posted, but I've been keeping up with everyone.
Jolly, I'm glad surgery went well.
Raven, sounds like you're on the right track. I had a job working with animals that demanded physical fitness and left little time for poor eating habits. I weighed the least ever in my adult life at that job. Life changes/choices have alot to do with.... well.... everything!
I hope everyone's Lent committments go well. I'll try not to bring up the "C" word anymore!
I am still feeling a little bad about making my sister-in-law sound like a person who isn't as awesome as she really is. On the other hand I can't deny that I usually leave their home feeling bad about myself. But that's my fault.
Diet-wise I've been doing terrible. I've been eating alot, and beer is still my friend. Fortunately there isn't anymore and I'm not going to buy any either. I replaced my scale battery and amazingly I haven't gained. Maybe I needed a few more calories to nurse the baby. Growth spurt or something.
My mom might be moving out here. She lives with my brother on the east coast now. She had a stroke a few years ago and isn't doing too well. She's going to move into an assisted living place about 20 minutes from here. Hopefully she will do better around other people her age with organized activities to keep her busy. She's pretty much housebound now and it's no good for her OR my brother. It's going to complicate my life some. I'll have even less time to myself, but I'm excited that I'll be seeing my mom weekly rather than twice a year as it has been since my oldest was born. And my brother can have a more normal life too.
Well, I hope everyone has a great week-end. I'm not planning anything exciting, maybe some house work. Whee.
:dizzy:

redballoon
02-12-2005, 07:05 AM
Hi people. Saturday night here. Just in from work. Have more work to do. Wanted to reply and keep caught up here. It's the fourth day of my "4 for 40" challenge. That's what I'm called this thing for Lent. So far, so good. It is hard though. The sugar, as I've said, I've done, but now I'm looking for other foods to take the place of all that munching. What I really need to do is change the excessive eating but . . . that'll have to come later I think. Right, now, kill the trigger foods, the high-calorie foods. I made a big salad though today. Not much in the exercise department though. Really ashamed of that kind of, ah well. Ah, no wait! I did walk! Got on the train THREE stops later than usual and got off it ONE earlier than usual. Yes, that was good.

Raven -- Oh, don't think I've "gotten" there quite yet. I'm still trying too, getting there, slipping away, back again. But I feel a lot better about my efforts than before. Oh, I definitely think we need to always feel that healthy dissatisfaction. It's necessary to change I think, develop, progress, explore. But not feeling ticked at ourselves doesn't necessarily mean we are complacent. I know what you mean totally though. I'm trying to rail against the same thing, the contentedness, passivity and complacency that is what you get when you give up on your dreams, citing "reason" after "reason." I think it's very rare that people don't give up on their dreams. There is really very little support because getting to them means hard work and sacrifice and a **** of a lot of uncertainty and moments where we, to use a Bible analogy, cry out with the, "why hath thou forsaken me?!" bit, make ourselves really unpleasant to be around and send friends and lovers running! But, you know, recently, I really think I'm changing. It's a part of why I'm not working out and all right now I think. I just decided to slow down, go a bit easier on myself but I haven't at all given up. I'm regrouping my resources I think. Raven, how can you not need a "reason" to get in shape? I certainly wouldn't feel back about that. I don't think anyone doesn't need a reason. And I don't think you're the kind of shallow person who lets appearance dictate to you. You're not morbidly obese. I think you're pretty fit, right? So, I think this career change is perfect. I think I'm the same. I don't know. If I can get really excited about being real strong and lean I think it will have to be the feel, not the look. Maybe I could start thinking of the "feel" of it. Hard to do when I've never been there but. . . Raven, as far as changing because we have diabetes or something, well, heck, that's mostly just fear and most change is fear motivated, probably the biggest one is the fear of rejection by a lover or the fear of not being accepted. I mean, why do so many people balloon after marriage? In any case, I think you can really use this career change as a good motivation for your "new you," -- RAVEN NTH EDITION. REVISED. -- Not only is it necessary to be strong, but you will want to be lean so you'll be more comfortable and heck, it can't hurt to be good-looking too. You can be the new poster model for the Farriers Association of America! (photo of you holding your hammer in one hand, the other hand rests on a horse's backside as you wink) "Com' on sweetheart. Give Raven a leg up, will ya."

Chachee -- Good going on the eating. I think I've been decent, still consuming lots of calories but I don't think I can go quite so overboard as when I'm eating the FAB 4!! that I have cut out for Lent. Glad to hear the clothes are looser. I'm the opposite unfortunately but I really think these next 5 weeks should show some improvement. Sounds like you'll have a thinning Valentine's Day. That does sound nice. Have a good weekend and hope to hear from you next week before you're off. You must be excited, no, about your coming vacation?

Apple Blossom -- I couldn't figure out what the "C" word was at first! But then I got it! You bet, evil stuff around here til the Bunny comes! Oh, Apple, don't worry about your sister in law and having slandered here and dragged her name through the mud!! :rofl: It was nothing like that! We all need to rant and we all exaggerate. We were just concerned because we don't know how much is truth and how much exaggeration. But now we do, so don't sweat it! I mean, heck, it's like the kids screaming, "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!!" They don't really hate you, just a teeny bit maybe, but it feels great to say it. That's what you were doing. So, laugh. I think it's funny. We won't tell anyone! Sounds like you're going through a diet slump, eh? Well, at least the scale was gentle. Are you nursing now? Oh right, the little one the son was "punishing." Sorry, all the stories don't stay with my sievelike mind! I think you'll enjoy being able to see your mother more. I mean, they're not with us forever and she needs you for sure. I miss my father whom I never see since I can never get back to the States. My mother died when I was 23 so I never got really to know her when I was a mature adult (if that's what you can call me now! ;) )

Hope to hear from the others, Derry? Michelle anyone else? Newbies out there. Jump in! :wave:

derrydaughter
02-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Hi guys!
I'm sick now, the kids are getting over it and now I'm the one. Oh joy. However, not feeling well has not kept me from watching what goes into my mouth! Also, day four now without chocolate and it's not all that hard!
Congrats on your victories, Jolly!
Raven, I know what it's like when you slack off exercise for awhile, trying to re-build what you've lost is hard, but you can do it!
So far, I am not compensating in a high calorie way by giving up chocolate, yesterday I didn't have any snacks in between meals, even. That was unusual for me. I was just so darned busy, quite honestly. Maybe that's it! Stay busy, don't have time to eat? Plus, I have to admit this virus I have drags me down. I doubt I'll exercise or get on the treadmill today, just no energy. I was up half the night as was very congested. Yesterday, I came home from all my errands and went to bed instead of getting on line, just turned on the tv and electric blanket and laid there.
Red, my daughter is 14, son turns 17 on Wednesday. They are good kids, though the 17 year old has had his share of depression and this year his grades are terrible. We're working on it all.
Aren't we all a "work in progress"? I guess that is what some of this is all about, right? Some day, we'll all get it right!
Very interesting thought processes, Raven. You are right in pointing out that we can effect changes in ourselves when we know we HAVE to. I'm not a diabetic, but after hearing "news" after a colonoscopy last spring, that is when I really had a rude awakening that I had better get my act in gear here. I'm turning 50 on Friday, guys! So, as I "age" (gosh, what the heck happened to me, I feel like a kid still!) I've just got to lose the weight, eat the high fiber, low sugar and "good" proteins. I accept this, but the inner me (and the diva) are always fighting about this. The inner me, like a little spoiled brat wants the sugar, the ice cream, the snacks like chips and things. I have to learn to treat my "body like a temple" as they say.
i hope things go ok with your mom, Apple, my parents are aging rapidly and in bad shape. We've talked about assisted living as well, but so far they are on their own.
Well, time to get rolling. I'm here guys, not feeling awfully well, but here just the same. Time to make chicken soup?
Linda, ah-choooooo!

jollygirl
02-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Hi all. Not really much to post over here. I have a whole Saturday, with really nothing to do. I can't work out. I can't ride :( Resting is probably a good thing - I will start weekends at my part time job in two weeks. The good thing is that it will free up my evenings a bit, the bad thing is that it is two 8 hour shifts every other weekend. Ah well, keep your eyes on the end goal, jolly, the end goal. I really want to start getting stuff like paint chips, etc, to really help me visualize my dream home. Not necessarily house plans, as that will be determined by what I can afford. But how I decorate is up to me. That should help make this easier. I am also a little bummed at not being able to work out, not being able to go by my horse (except to sneek him some treats), taping my face, etc. I just have to keep reminding myself that all the drama is for one month, then all this will be totally worth it.

Listen to me whine. I have so much good stuff going on, and I of course focus on the negative. Somebody slap me. See, this is why I need to work out.

I hope everyone has a GREAT day.

RavenToy
02-12-2005, 11:22 AM
I知 trying hard to make the steps I take small, incremental, logical, reasonable. For example - I need to start moving my body to get physically fit to meet the demands of my newly chosen profession. Ok. I can understand that.

Next - I知 starting to notice I知 dehydrated a lot. I知 sweating while I知 working. I need to replace that with WATER, not more high in calories sweet tea. So that痴 my next logical step. I need more water in my daily routine. It makes sense.

I知 down a half a pound. No, not a huge amount, but this is the rest of my life I知 talking about. Not one week.

Yesterday痴 workout consisted of working with trying to get 吐luent with the hooves, for lack of a better word. Where to hold the rears so I can work on them with both hands. How to move them from the position of trimming on the bottom to the sides, then to the top. Walk the hoof around, don稚 drop it and pick it up again. Was interesting training, both for me and my horses! Actually only worked with Arashi and Eve. Need to work on Shadow, too.

And then riding. We all rode our respective horses at the same time! I think that痴 the first time that痴 ever happened. Ian and V had a few exciting moments of unexpected cantering, but as usual, my horse had to be convinced he wanted to trot. ;) No one came off, and fun was had by all. Maybe we値l do it again today!

On a positive, it looks like I may have gotten three (maybe four!) more 菟ractice horses. These are horses at Amanda痴 barn which do not wear shoes, and I told Amanda to have the owners call me. I値l do the trimming for free till I get my Practitioner in Training certification, then I値l give them a really reduced rate. She thinks they値l go for it. They can look at my horses feet if they want to see my work, so hopefully that will be enough. *keeping my fingers crossed*

Linda - You know.. there's something else. I developed a food allergy to certain fruits about a year or so ago. Funny thing is, once I figured out what it was, no matter how I LOVE apples, you couldn't pay me to eat one. Why? IT HURTS! It's scary! Now... if I can just cold turkey off so many of my favorite foods like that (it's many forms of fruit, sadly), WHY can't I just cold turkey off something because it makes me blow up like a balloon with fat? ;) Bah. Humans are weird.

Jolly - The end goal. I'm trying to keep that in mind right now, too. I'm scared, I'm so broke, and I wonder on an hourly basis if I'm doing the right thing. I'm stepping so far out of my "safety zone" it's not even funny. It's been kind of hard to bring my brain around to the positives. But slowly I'm getting there. When you say you can't work out, does that mean you can't MOVE? Go for a walk? Maybe do some floor work? Stretch? It will help your mind.

Red - *LOL* You're a kick. Too bad I can't get to your horse to practice, huh? So much of the time when I read what you're typing to me and the others, I hear you talking to yourself. I know I do that a lot... I use the thought process of explaining things to other people to learn things for myself. Of course in MY case that means that the three people closest to me are SICK of hearing about horse hooves!!! :eek: ;)

Apple - As Red said... no worries. We've all been there, done that, ranted, raved, *****ed, moaned... ;) It's all good. What job did you have working with animals?

Chach - You mean I'm going to have to go two weeks without seeing any posts from you!?!?!?! :yikes: Ok, that's harsh. ;) You sound like you need a break, chickie. I hope you have a great one.

redballoon
02-13-2005, 07:02 AM
Hello everyone. Finishing up Day 5 for me and I did OK! Had two near misses though when I went into the store and was about to buy cashews as usual before I remembered I'd given them up. That was close! I really wasn't thinking of it. It's not something I've ever really given up, thinking it was pretty healthy. And hurah, hurrah, I got to the gym today AFTER riding! That was major. I did it by taking my gym stuff riding and then went straight there. So today was a very good day, both eating wise and exercise wise. At last! My Valentine's Day present to myself, one day early. I weighed myself this morning and I am still way up from my starting weight this year but what the heck, gotta just keep at it.

Derry -- how are you feeling? I hope you get better quickly. I think that's amazing that you have still been able to eat right even though you're sick and NO chocolate. Maybe we're getting help from on high! And a birthday this week! How do you plan to handle that? It may be good to plan ahead so the chocolate monster doesn't get you. Also, how are you feeling about the number? I hope OK. I'll be 46 this summer and I know the feeling, I don't feel like a lot of people around me seem to think I should feel or the younger ones acting like I'm any different. I'll probably have to start developing a clothes sense or something as I've never had one. My clothes then can express what my face no longer will! (maybe never did!) :lol:

jolly -- whine away. I don't mind. It sounds like you have a tough time so whining may help you get some of the aggravation off your chest. You're whining but you're looking at good things too. I think that's the way to do it. If you don't give everything outlet it'll probably just fester inside you and sabotage you later. Let it out. Get it away! Can't you ride or exercise because of your eye? I guess so, right? Taping your face? What is that about?

Raven -- glad you're writing again. We really missed you. Your getting "fluent" with the hooves sounds very interesting. What kind of studying are you doing? Is it home studying? Correspondence? Or are you actually attending classes? What happened with work. If I can remember the last was the firing bomb? Maybe I missed something but I hope you did find something. Oh, I see you wrote to jolly about being broke so I guess you're concentrating on the horse stuff. I think you're doing the right thing. I wonder, since you're studying, do you think you could get some kind of student loan? I am so broke too. I go to sleep and wake up every day wondering how I'm going to pay the ballooning bills, the money I borrow at high interest. I want to stop it. I keep thinking work will come. I try not to panic. It's hard not too. Well, let's have faith it'll all work out and keep the hope. Good luck on the new clients! :sunny:

RavenToy
02-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Red ! Ok, you drop that little tease about your ride, then don't say anything about how it went? How is your horse? How is the riding going? C'mon, you know you have at least two horse junkies on this thread, throw us a bone. ;) I am focusing on the horses as a career, yes indeed. I am going through the American Association of Natural Hoofcare Practitioners to get certified. That's why I was in Arkansas last week, studying with Jaime Jackson. The classes I take are in person, and on top of that, I have tons of books to read, videos to watch, and I'm encouraged to practice on my own horses and others, if folks will let me. Once I get my Practitioner in Training (a little bit like being an "apprentice") certification, the AANHCP will list me on their website, refer clients to me, etc. If I'm ever uncertain about something, I call one of my mentors or instructors and work with them on it. It's extremely comprehensive. It will involve many, many classes - not just concerning the hoof, but the entire horse. Feed, saddling, environment, the whole bit. My next three classes involve teaching live trimming, hoof anatomy (yay, disection), and then a couple days of mentorship. That's when I get my PT cert. In the meantime, I'm trying to scrounge up "practice horses" and I'll be trying to do temp office work just to keep some money coming in so I can pay ye olde bills. Damn them. *sigh* :D Once I get things rolling, I'll start offering ground training along with the hoof care, since I seem to have a talent in that area. My business is The Naked Hoof, and I'm working on my website now. Slowly. *lol*

Today will be my "day of rest." Maybe. I might have a practice horse to do, we shall see if she calls. Lance is a big poofball percheron. Such a wonderful, sweet horse. But his hooves haven't been trimmed since october, and they need it badly. Yesterday was all about wrestling with Shadow. :D I swear - just when I think I might be getting it, that horse will humble me. I learn more from her than any other horse. The big mistake was that V worked her before I did her hooves, and when Shadow gets tired, she will NOT hold up her hooves. She'll sink right down to the ground. So I have to work very quickly in short bursts, then put the hoof down and let her rest for a minute or two... then another burst. Ends up taking a long time. But .. it's a learning process, indeed.

I'm sore and creaky, but it's ok. My body feels like it fell asleep and it's waking up. That alternating "omg no I don't want to move it hurts!" feeling and the "aaagh move move move move I have to move" feeling. :^: Am I really weird?

My kids are following suit, and both of them are hopping on the treadmill now, too. If I ever needed a reason to be a good example, seeing how quickly they jump on the bandwagon should be as good a reason as I need.

Red - Lets win the lottery, ok? :D

jollygirl
02-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Hey all. Yes, I can MOVE, but can't do anything that might raise blood pressure and temp. Wednesday I can work out again, and Thursday I have a personal trainer sesssion. No matter how many times I told the new gym I couldn't work out right away, and had a zillion perky little personal trainers leaving messages about setting up my session. I even got one 15 minutes after I got home from my surgery. Sheesh. So, to relieve THEIR anxiety, I scheduled it already. As for the tape thing, I have to tape shields over my eyes when I sleep, to prevent any rubbing that might disturb the eyes. Sucks, but is keeping them healthy.

I did stop in by my boy today to drop off a few things. He is not pleased with me, and I have 10 more days before I can ride. I did order some training equipment, and gave him some treats, but he was not amused. Ah well.

Anyway. Take care everyone, and have a great evening.

derrydaughter
02-14-2005, 07:51 AM
Jolly, why do you need to tape your face? Why can't you work out? Maybe I missed a point someplace.
I'll bet you are frustrated, though, as it sounds like you are on the verge of several things, and anxious to just get rolling. I'd be anxious as well.
Raven, my son can't eat apples, peaches and strawberries, they hurt him as well. Allergies really run in our family, I sympathize.
Speaking of being broke and stepping far out of your safety zone, we are going to be doing the same thing. My DH can't take it any more, he's just had it. He's giving his resignation at work this week and we won't have any income, period. I'm really scared, but he will have a heart attack if he puts up with this any longer. That is that. We're going to have to make a mad scramble and re-group. Every penny we spend will have to be examined and I'm afraid WW meetings will not be in the budget for us. We will be eating by what is on sale at the stores as opposed to what we like, as well, Might be a problem as far as weight gain, but I have to keep trying. I can't lose perspective on what I have done so far and gain my weight back. I've worked way too hard.
Red, it sounds like you are doing so well! Congrats on the 5 days! I had a "slip" unintentionally yesterday. After a great discussion about curtailing expenses we decided to go to a local shopping mall to renegotiate our cell phone contracts, which we did. On the way out the door (as it was near lunchtime) I grabbed a ww 2 points bar (which is chocolate caramel) and left the house. In the car, I was eating it, and my DH looked over and said "you're eating chocolate" - Gosh, I had the end of it in my mouth and had already eaten it at that point. I had totally forgotten. But, for the rest of the time, and continuing further into Lent, I plan on being good!
This will be a rough week, emotions are very high and it's my son's birthday Wednesday and my birthday Friday and we plan on going away for the weekend. I hope to not blow it!
I was really good all weekend, amazing considering everything that is going on.
Linda

jollygirl
02-14-2005, 08:18 AM
Good morning all. Derry, I had Lasik surgery on my eyes. They do not want you to work out or do anything that will raise your blood pressure for one week, so that you don't put extra pressure on the eyes. Luckily, that is done in a couple of days. I have to tape plastic shields over my eyes when I go to bed every night for another couple of weeks. that is so that I don't disturb the flap cut in my cornea while it is healing. My thoughts are with you too, as your husband finds new work. I hope it all goes smoothly, and be gentle with yourself during this stressful time.

I really need to control my eating. Between having money and the lack of gym time, I have been using every excuse to eat, eat, eat, eat, eat. Not ok. Here's to healthy eating.

redballoon
02-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Hey, all.. no time to post tonight. I am dead tired. Must get to sleep. just did a super fast glance through. Derry, that chocolate doesn't count. It was an honest mistake. You didn't do it intentionally. Sin absolved. I have decreed! Carry on. :dancer:

RavenToy
02-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Derry - Wow. I admire the guts it takes to walk away from a rotten situation. What does your husband want to pursue? I think a huge part of my problem, and I see it in my daughter, too, is that I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up. :D My son seems convinced (at this point, and for about the last year or more) that he wants to be an equine chiropractor. I support him fully, but also tell him if he changes his mind, I'll understand. My daughter waffles... she can't decide. My bf is the same way. He always did whatever just fell into his lap. It turned out to be alright moneywise - he's not rich, but he makes a decent living. But he's utterly miserable working where he does, doing what he does. I can see his interest in network security, but he won't push to pursue it. He won't step out of the safety zone. Maybe once I get my hoof care business established and I can take over the financial burdens, he'll feel more free to take that leap. It's scary. Keep us posted.

Jolly - Boy it doesn't take much to fall into boredom eating, does it? Or at least for me anyway.

Red - Hope you got some rest!

Well, it's raining and yucky here today. Yay. Things I need to do, call the temp agencies and see if I can get some work drummed up. Get on the treadmill. Go to Walmart. Actually LOOK at my bank account and see how much money I have left. Ok, that last one is undoubtedly the scariest of the bunch. The fear of "what if I only have $20 left!?!?" is all over me. *sigh* So I think I'll just browse the web for a while longer........ avoidance is a lovely thing. :o

Edited - Ok, I faced my greatest fear and checked my money situation. It's not good. I have enough cash on hand to last me for about one more week of groceries. That's it. Towards that end - I have already contacted two temp agencies. One of which I worked with closely when I was with my old job and she knows how hard I work, so hopefully she can get me working immediately. The application has been submitted, the resume sent. The other agency I have an appointment with on Wednesday. Honestly, I'd like to be working Wednesday. Hopefully Carolyn can put me into something. But at least things are a known now.

Chachee
02-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Hello Ladies,

Cough, cough, sniff achoooo...

Yep, like our friend Linda, I am very very sick. Got it yesterday after spending 2.5 hours shampooing all of our carpets. We bought the shampooer last year and haven't used it yet. Amazing how dirty the carpets get. I felt totally exhausted afterwards and kicked myself in the butt for doing it! I couldn't take anything high-powered for the cold as hubby was at drill and I was at home with my son. I wanted to take some of that "knock you out for a day" medicine, but no go.

Promotion ceremony was nice, but very emotional. It was good to see so many people come out and support hubby. I don't think he realizes how many people's lives he touches.

My snacking is good. With this flu bug, I really don't want to eat much of anything. That is a plus.

Yes, I will be gone and missing from the thread for two weeks. I will miss talking with you all, but am in such desperate need of a rest that it isn't even funny.

And I would like to just say that with all of you and your struggles, it once again reminds me that life can change immediately with sometimes a devastating effect. I'm thankful that I am where I am right now, because without the extra money we wouldn't be able to help out our families. I know what it's like to go through some big financial problems. I actually had to declare bankruptcy about 15 years ago, so I know what it's like. I hope your situations don't get as bad as mine were.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

Chach

derrydaughter
02-15-2005, 06:24 AM
Now, I get it, Jolly. I couldn't imagine taping your face and what that had to do with your surgery. How is your vision now? How much did this all cost, by the way? Can they help an astigmatism? I thought that it was only near or far sightedness?
Thanks for absolving my sins, Red, I felt the same way as well. Plus it was a ww bar! Who are we kidding, those things taste "ok", but if I REALLY wanted chocolate, that is NOT what I would go for, for sure! I made it through Valentines Day beautifully! My husband is making a donation in my honor rather than giving me chocolate, by the way, to a teen drug and alcohol abuse prevention center, which was my choice. I like that idea! We all have our addictions, mine are not drug and alcohol, mine has been chocolate, I guess! You know, I am feeling (even though I feel like my life is falling apart, totally) so in control of my eating. I really do find myself wondering if chocolate triggers lots of overeating, not just the chocolate itself. I weigh in today and we shall see. Even though DH will be unemployed, I may be able to keep up my ww meetings for a period of time as I am a Lifetime member and lifetime members only need to pay and weigh in once a month. If you are something like 2 pounds over goal you do pay. Maybe I can work really hard and get closer to goal, maybe this will be my motivation?
DH went to the doctor yesterday as well, with chest pain, had an EKG and blood work and they will be doing a stress test next week. He is under such stress, he just had got to find other work. I maintained calm through all of this, surprisingly. Normally, I'd have run for the cupboard and inhaled food. Don't know if it's cleansing my body of chocolate or something else, but I am glad. I took out my own frustrations with the vacuum cleaner!
Chach, hope you feel better soon and get really better before your trip, but just rest and relax.
Yes, life can change in a moment. I have to believe that whatever is happening is for the best, as with Raven too. Who knows where we all might end up, but you have to be brave and continue on - we all have no choice. I heard about a job yesterday, for me part time. It's really not what I want to do, and kind of far from the house. Not sure if I will apply or not, it's a friend referencing me into it, so I know if I applied I would get it. It's working 7:00 am - 11:00 am doing housekeeping at a prep school (ever heard of Exeter Phillips Academy) dormitory. It's really not hard work, and I'd be getting exercise (which is a plus). But, it's quite the "come down" (though I am not really caring about that at all) from my former career as a Director of Human Resources before I became a stay at home parent. It would be a nice, easy, part time job. I could probably listen to book on tape while I work and, as I said, get exercise. But, it's about 45 minutes from my house, one way, and I think I should look closer to home.
The only place I can think of where I could probably get immediate work and the schedule I want is MacDonald's or Burger King, and I am not sure I could handle the "temptation" - or would it work the opposite and gross me out for fried foods? Hmmm.....
Linda

redballoon
02-15-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi everyone. Making a bit of time to write here, catch up and all.

I rode and went to the gym today and yesterday AND the day before. Heh! That's three days in a row! Wow, I've done so much it didn't seem like that. Now, if I could just see some change (downward of course!) in my weight. I am sooo discouraged but I just must keep at it. I haven't been consistent at all and then I do good for a few days and I expect major changes! Oh well, it's hard.

Raven -- Riding is tough as usual, frustrating, expensive. My horse is doing fine I think. Today she was so cute. I had cut up carrots and hung it in a bag next to her stall where I usually do and I don't think the stall door is usually closed. I'm not away for long, just getting things ready before I ride. Well, I came back in and from the end of the row I see carrot slices strewn all around her stall! I called out her name in a stern voice and when I get to her stall she's up against the back wall looking at me like, "I don't know, it wasn't me. I've been back here all the time." It was so funny that she though I was going to get angry. She knew she shouldn't have been trying to get that bag off the hook and eat the carrots! It must have been hard to do too because even with the door open there's a bar across the door and the hook is pretty far away. She must have really stretched and then to knock it off the hook too. Ah, it was funny. I just scolded her with my voice a bit but I certainly couldn't be angry. My fault for leaving them there and all and of course she's going to go after them. But that back against the wall. She came forward when I went to pick up all the carrots in her stall and in front and then I said sternly, "Heidi, you're a bad girl!" and she went running off to the back of the stall again. :lol: Gosh, the way she reacted you'd think I was really mean to her which of course I'm not. She just must have thought she'd done a really naughty thing.

Well, Raven, good luck finding practice horses. I would be scared I'd screw up someone's feet. Do you think you're good at it, that you have a knack for it? The Naked Hoof?! Sounds a bit kinky! :lol: The farrier loves Heidi. She picks up her feet so easily and just stands there doing nothing for however long he wants. She really is a doll. I'm afraid I'm getting to like her too much. But she is hard to hard. I'm working on that though. She squeals and runs off when she spooks or gets full of herself, which is rare but the others remark on her squealing. The percheron sounds lovely. I love cold-bloods. Heidi is part Haflinger, which I guess you know is a cold-blood pony. Your Shadow sounds tough. Do you think she's OK, not wanting to hold up her hooves. Not a feed problem or lack of energy, is it? You mentioned she didn't want to trot. Well, best of luck to you! You can talk all the horse you want. Anyone whose eyes glaze over can just scroll to the bottom! Well, Raven, hope you get some work quick. Today is the last day to apply to go the races in Dubai and I'm sitting here corresponding with them by email and still undecided as to whether to apply. It's not cheap like the Hong Kong package and I really think I shouldn't go. A friend there says its great and should go. A friend in racing here says it's not worth it. I could probably cover some of the expenses by selling some stories on the race but I don't know, it would likely still be a loss. If I had money I'd go, wouldn't hesitate but I don't know, it's not something I really want to do either. I was just thinking some work may come my way if I went. The UAE people have opened farms here and have a lot of horses in training. I'm thinking I could be doing work for them and thought it may be good to see their operation in Dubai. Then again, what for, really? Everyone will be busy, busy with the race. Ahhh, I hate not being able to decide!

jolly -- how are your eyes? It sure sounds involved, that surgery, the after care and all. Hope they heal real quick. Is your horse getting any exercise? turnout? Can you lunge him?

chachee -- how are you? Are you feeling any better? What a lousy time to get sick, right before you go away. Hope you get better soon too.

derry -- ah, so your husband has finally decided to quit that awful place he works, with that awful boss. yes, I remember your telling me about it. In fact, I had thought maybe he had already left and you just hadn't said anything or I had missed it. Sometimes that is the only way to do it, just quit, whether you can or not, I mean, whether you're really prepared for it, with money and all. I'm in the same situation still and I think of doing the same thing. I hate the office so much. I think things have a way of working out for those who jump in like you are doing, or rather, jump out, but IN to the cosmos! You will be provided for. You are opening yourself up for things to come to you I believe. We must have faith, right? Best of luck to you and your husband! Yes, I'm with Raven in saying, it's very admirable what you're doing. Heh, that sounds good with WW. It would be a good incentive for you to keep you weight down and then not have to pay. Gosh, is your husband ok. Wow, it sounds awful, chest pains and all. I know how it is, my legs are still bad, and I think it's all from the stress of last year. Back then I was sooo stressed I would feel like electricity running down my legs when I would get upset at work, which was always! Total idiots. I have no money now but I feel a lot better. Sure hope your husband's OK. When is he quitting? Soon? The work offer housekeeping may not be so bad. I have done it before and there's nothing bad about it. I think it would be relaxing in fact whereas fast food joints are pretty stressful and full of rules and yes, you would probably be reaching for the food. . well, you can't do that while you're working. . but afterward. . you'd probably be taking stuff home, especially if they gave you a discount, which I think they might.

OK, gotta get some work done here. Hope everyone checks in soon. :wave:

jollygirl
02-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Hey all - quick post then back to work. I have to say I really admire everyone who is holding up to their Lenten resolutions. Me? I guess it is a good thing I am not Catholic. I seem to be living like "eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow I can again work out." I really hope the obnoxiously perky little trainer does kick my butt Thursday night. I need it.

As for the surgery - my vision is great. The after care is really only for the first month to make sure they heal properly. It cost $2000 total. I don't know if it cures astigmatism. And my horse is getting ridden for me while I am off.

I have to share a cute story, Red. When I got my first horse, I of course had to get her a Christmas stocking for the holidays, loaded with treats. The next year, I decorated her stall for hte holidays, and of course hung the stocking back up - not to fill until Christmas of course. Well, she saw the stocking and figured FOOD, and dragged it into her stall. The barn owner freaked at first when she saw red in the stall - the mare tried to bury the evidence by digging a hole and covering it up!!

Have a good day all, and keep up the good work. I know I will be back with you soon.

Apple Blossom
02-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Hey all, just checking in. Seems like I'm not doing much about weight loss these days. Sometimes thats' when I suprise myself and lose anyway. I'm not gaining, so I'm OK with it for now.
I worked in a kennel for a while and right after college I worked at a wildlife rehabilitaion center for a year. It was the hardest, most physical, and least paying job I've ever had. It was also the most interesting and rewarding. I thought about being a vet so I worked as an assistant for a little while. I found that while I loved the patients, their owners could be a real pain...not really a people person.
So now I have 2 dogs and 2 cats, about all I can handle with 3 small kids. Someday I want to expand my menagerie, some chickens, goats...don't know about horses. That's a whole other world.
Well, I'll just be cruising along for now. Time for some housework. Bye!

Apple Blossom
02-15-2005, 05:16 PM
By the way Linda, my husband did a similar thing a couple of years ago, he couldn't stand his boss and work was miserable, which effects the whole family. He was afraid to look around for another job because if word got back to his boss he might get fired, but it all worked out and we are all happier now. Fortunately he went right from one job to the next so we had no finacial worries. Hope everything works out for you! I'm sure it will. :)

derrydaughter
02-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Hi guys! Good and bad day..... First the good news! I made my 10% WW goal today, finally! I've not lost 17 pounds! I lost 2.8 this week, unheard of! Must be a combination of that inner diva and the giving up Chocolate! I'm so pleased!
My DH is ok, and home, but it was quite a scare. He is still having chest pain, but his EKG was "ok". They did bloodwork and will do a stress test at the hospital on Thursday. So, we'll see.
He's not yet given notice, as his boss has been away. Maybe that is a good thing as we truly need to assess what's going on with the chest pain before taking action. He's confident that he'll be ok, though. I worry, that's my job, right?
Linda

redballoon
02-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Derry, congrats on your weight loss! That is a MUCH deserved loss and something I'm sure you needed now in this stressful time. I still think your husband should quit. My father went through the same thing because of stress at his work. He was probably the same age as your husband is now. I remember him being rushed to the hospital with chest pains, did the EKG, all that, they found nothing, but yes, next time maybe something will have manifested itself in a more concrete way, the actual heart attack, not just the pains. If you can do it at all, please do it. I have seen too many people literally die from stress-related work here, in fact, the Japanese have a word for it! And how many other people don't outright die but develop diseases. It's not worth it. If your husband stays in this situation you may have the money to pay bills but if you get out I think you will not have the bills at all in the first place. At least give notice. That will take a lot of pressure off him. Well, just my advice.

derrydaughter
02-16-2005, 09:24 AM
He gave notice this morning, Red. I have to admit to being really scared. We could stand to lose so much if he can't get another job right away, but we won't go down without a fight.
I've never seen my husband so miserable before, so perhaps even giving notice will help his stress level?
As for me, I indulged in birthday cake last night.... my son's 17th birthday. It was vanilla, not chocolate, his choice. I snuck applesauce into the cake mix instead of oil and no one noticed the difference! I have to get on the treadmill this afternoon to "pay" for it all, but it was good.
Friday is my own birthday and we are going to visit my inlaws for the weekend. I always don't do well weight wise when we go there, but I shall survice. Acheiving the 10% goal made me realized that even though I've had many setbacks and a few gains off and on, I will truly acheive what I intend to do!
Linda

jollygirl
02-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi all. Derry - congrats on the loss. I hope things work out for you and your family. If your husband has good skills and a good work history, I am sure he will find something even better soon.

Well, I am feeling pretty good this morning. I actually made a healthy choice for breakfast, instead of the junk I have been eating. AND . . . (drumroll please), I did go to the gym. My workout got interrupted, first by having to run out and turn off the lights I had left on, then a page from work. But, I went. And tomorrow night is my personal trainer session. I'm sure that will be a kick in the butt. Then . . . for one more NSV, I had to stop at the store for some stuff for my group homes, and started to buy a bag of the Reeses Pieces easter eggs (huge candy coated reeses pieces). I had already indulged in a bag of hershey eggs, so I was able to put those back. I may end up getting a bag before the season is out, but I don't need them every day.

Have a great day all.

Chachee
02-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Good morning, ladies.

Linda: Great job on the 10%! I know how exciting that is. It is a huge accomplishment and one to celebrate. I'm keeping you and your hubby in my prayers. I know it will be tough for you guys, but I'm sure the right thing will come along quickly.

Red: Howdy you! How is Lent going? Mine has been going well, especially with being sick. I'm not all that hungry anyway, so the need to snack is just not there.

Apple: How is the battle with the beer going? As long as it's light beer, you should be okay. Me, I like a dark and thick beer. Something with a strainer, you know! :)

Jolly: Good for you on your NSV's. Getting to the gym and not buying the additional candy. Great job.

I'm still very sick. Tonight I get my nails done and am treating myself to a pedicure. Haven't had one in about five months, so it's time. Plus, I want pretty toes for walking on the beach with my hubby this coming weekend.

Then I am off to buy a gift for a baby shower. Tomorrow is last minute shopping for relatives in Oregon, then giving the doggies a bath. Friday night is shower and relax before we leave. Ahhh...

Alright, Happy Wednesday.

Chach

derrydaughter
02-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Hi guys!
Chach, sorry you still aren't feeling well. I know exactly what that is like! I'm surviving my days with Advil cold and sinus as my "best friend" right now! This, too, shall pass, right?
DH officially gave notice this morning. So, here we go....
Early this afternoon, I applied for a part time job at the local MacDonalds. They say you can design your own shift, so I figured it might be a good place to start. Wonder if I could stay away from the fries?
Linda

luckycharm
02-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Hi to everyone.

Thinking of you all lots.

Kathy

redballoon
02-16-2005, 05:32 PM
A quickie here as I've got to get ready to leave.

Derry -- Congratulations on your husband giving notice. This is BIG!! I feel your fear and those are not empty words as I am tottering on the edge of making the leap myself and what keeps me from jumping is largely fear of the unknown. I AM making inroads in other areas. The thing is, they are WORKING and I know I am going to have to make that leap and I feel the fear and am in danger of giving up. Derry, this is meant to be. You have to open yourself up for better things in order for them to come along. You and your family will not regret this and I feel that if you weren't capable of handling this fine you wouldn't be put in this position. Of course you're scared. But breathe deep, center yourself. You're not going to go down. You're going to draw on your resources, and these are great, you're going to calmly and assuredly, with the power of knowing this IS the right move, the only move, allow what supports you to come to you. Join forces with it and you will be all the more powerful.

Excellent with the vanilla cake. See, no chocolate! Enjoy your birthday. Stay off the chocolate. Remember, it's about Lent, not dieting. Hope you feel better soon!

jolly -- Excellent work!! You keep it up. Stay away from the Easter candy though before the bunny brings it!!

Chachee -- you sound strong with your no snacking for Lent. Good for you! I am doing stellar with my Lenten promise, no sugar, none of the other three things either. The sugar and the nuts is hard giving up but I'm doing it!! Hurrah! Sorry to hear you're sick as well. I've never had a pedicure or manicure. Too embarrasing I think at this point. My feet are ugly but good feet! and my hands are ravaged from working outdoors at the stable.

luckycharm -- what's this! a superflyby!! Come on in and chat!!

derrydaughter
02-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Lucky, nice to hear from you. Hope all is well.
Red, your remarks are empowering. Thanks.
I've never had a manicure or pedicure either. My feet are ugly too!
Hey, so far we've all been awfully good with the Lent thing. Just goes to show what some will power really accomplishes! I feel really good without chocolate, this is truly teaching me that it does not control me, I control it - just like all food.
I also control my destiny. I am scared, have to admit I am. We are in a percarious position and have two kids awfully close to college, so I don't want to lose what it's taken us ages to gather (not that it's much anyway). So, we just HAVE to make it all work.
DH is a great guy, he's much luckier than I am! He has that on his side. We are both survivors.
By the way, his boss is freaking out, booking an early flight home and is offering all kinds of things to get DH to stay. He even offered a month off, thinking that this chest pain thing is "it" and that he needs to "rest". I was thinking that the month off thing sounded good, but DH will just not go for it. It would buy us time. However, he wants to sever all ties and move on. I think for him to be well and be at peace, he must do the move. This has been going on way too long.
Ha! One of the reasons why the boss from _ell is panicked is that DH does his job for him and he knows it!
Linda

RavenToy
02-17-2005, 07:37 AM
Hey chicks -

This is rather a fly-by from me, as well. I'm reading, lurking... but my anxiety level is getting very high. I'm officially out of money, and I still have no income.

I'm pushing pretty hard on the temp front, but I really did go too long before starting to really look for work. Hopefully something will come through very soon.

derrydaughter
02-17-2005, 08:10 AM
Raven, I could be in your shoes in about two months, I can totally relate. Can you ask family members for help? Can you put items up for sale on e-bay that might generate some cash? Have a yard sale?
If you need work, why not try waitressing. Years ago, I was married to someone else (seems like another person's life now when I think back as I've been married to my DH for almost 21 years now) at age 19 and divorced at age 20 and when I left him, I had resigned from my job as I was having migrane headaches and miserable there. I didn't realize until later on that it was my marriage that was my problem, not my job, but by then it was too late and I had quit my job. I was able to find a job immediately waitressing, it's not fun and it's tiring, but the immediacy of tips on the first night helped me. I literally had $2.00 in my wallet, 1/4 tank of gas and was sleeping on a friend's sofa. The tips on my first night enabled me to get going again and from then on, I conserved and got my act in gear until I was able to find something else full time.
Foor pantrys are good as well.
Considering that they let you go, are you eligible for unemployment? If you've been denied, ask for a hearing.
I will be praying for you!
As for me, I must be reacting emotionally to what is going on in my life. I just NEVER end the day not using all my ww points, but I actually did that yesterday and ended the day with 3 points left. I have to watch that, as I know that in order to lose weight, you really need to provide your body with enough nutrients, otherwise it holds onto fat, thinking it's being starved. I don't usually NOT eat when I am stressed, don't quite know why this is going on. One thing I have noticed, though, is that without having a constant "high" from chocolate, my emotions are more in check and even though things are not going well, I have not been craving chocolate and figuring out ways to work it into my day. Do you all think chocolate could be an addictive substance? Have there been any studies?
Linda

jollygirl
02-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Hey all. I only have time for a fly by as well. work is CRAZY!!!!!! I am thinking of all of you, and hope things work out soon. I know what stress can do to you. I will try, in between bills, shopping, dogs, work, work, and more work, to get online again tonight. Take care all

Chachee
02-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Good morning, ladies.

Pedicures....I always thought that I had ugly feet, but you know what? So does everyone else! I do them about every other month and they keep my feet nice and soft, not so dry which is a problem up here during the Winter months. I just save the money out of my "allowance" and when I have enough saved, then I get it done.

Thanks, again, to being sick I really still have no appetite. I had a bagel this morning, and probably will have half of a chicken burrito left over from dinner last night for lunch, and maybe some cup'o'soup for dinner, but that is about it. (Unless you count cough drops!)

Linda: You know, working at McD's might help you not want to eat that type of food. I know working at the state fair cured me of curly fries and corn dogs! Be sure to keep us updated to see what the job tries to offer DH to keep him....

Raven: I'm keeping my fingers crossed something comes through for you soon. It's just gotta.

Red: So glad you have been able to keep up with Lent. Great job. Believe me, I know some people that go in to have their feet and hands done have it far worse than yours sound. I was a little weirded out by having someone else touch my feet and scrub the old skin off, but I figure that is what they do, and they must not mind it much, because it pays very well.

Hi to Lucky, Hippy and Happy!

Okay, I gotta get back to work. I might not have a chance to check in tomorrow, as I am going to be swamped, so I'll sign off for now until I get back on March 7th.

I'll be keeping everyone in my prayers and thoughts as you all deal with your struggles. I know it's gotta get better soon. I'm off to help out my parents who are having quite the struggle themselves. Thank goodness I'm in a position to help them now.

Happy February and beginning of March!

Take Care!

Chach

redballoon
02-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Morning all. Gulping down my oatmeal before I get off for the gym before work. This is going to make it six days in a row! that I've gotten to the gym AND worked out.

derry -- how is the fright factor? You husband giving notice is going to finally put you in gear, not spinning the wheels mode. Don't worry. Things will work out for sure. Oh, and chocolate is definitely addictive. It has caffeine in it. So, your high was also very real, not just an emotional thing. Same as coffee. When your body doesn't get it it screams for it. Luckily, the withdrawal doesn't take as long as nicotine or other drugs but the effects are more subtle and people don't realize how deeply they are affected by it. You're doing your body and mind a great help by getting off the stuff.

raven -- best of luck to you. I read your post on my phone last night. Was going to boot up the computer to reply but I see derry has said the same thing. Go for unemployment if you can. Credit? Anything there? Could you sell your body? Just kidding. There's got to be something. Just try not to panic. Think of the money flowing in. Somehow it will if you stay out of fear mode.

jolly -- hello there! Glad to hear from you. Hope you're doing OK? :sunny:

Chachee -- you have a good trip. Sure wish you felt better for it though. Maybe you'll get better fast once you're off. How good that you can help your parents out of a tight spot now. Have fun while you're there. Tell us all when you get back. :wave:

jollygirl
02-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Hi all. I am ok, just a bit stressed and busy. A lot going on at work right now. Iam doing 3 peoples jobs. I was a bit bad, and let my boss deal with a couple of staff issuses. I feel guilty doing that, as I feel like I am not doing my job, but honestly, it would have been enough to send me over the edge. Some stuff came up though, that really made me doubt myself again. I hate that. Any negative, and I feel like I am a bad person. Sigh. When will I grow up??

Anyway, I hope Chachee has a good trip, things pick up soon for Derry and Raven, and Red continues to triumph over Lent. Talk to you all later.

derrydaughter
02-18-2005, 06:37 AM
Just read everyone's posts....
First, just want to say that DH had his stress test at the hospital yesterday and his heart is ok. Whatever is causing the chest pain is NOT his heart. That is a relief, but something is still getting to him, is it all stress? Seems quite odd that there is no explanation. Acid refulx? Ulcers? I guess we will continue to seek answers and at least it's not as stressful knowing his heart is ok. That was pretty scary.
His boss was trying to convince him to give a one month vs. two week notice, then also offering him time off to "think", also offering him a 2 or 3 day a week schedule with pro-rated pay and medical benifits. I was kind of hoping he'd think about the latter of these proposals for awhile, but he just wants to sever all ties and remove himself. I can understand, but I am worried (just like Raven) about how to put food on the table and keep our house, etc.
Raven, I was thinking about mentioning that you could check local newspapers and see if anyone is advertising for babysitting. I know it's not a career or anything, but it could fill in the gap temporarily. Are there stables that would hire you to curry and feed the horses in return to boarding your own horses? I'm thinking for you, my dear!
I am really contemplating a yard sale in about a month. It's really poor weather here in NH for something like that now, but we could manage that as spring approaches. That would put ready cash in our pockets and I truly have been marking several items as yard sale things and putting them away in my attic.
If unemployment has been denied to you, what about public welfare? There must be something!
I'll keep thinking.
Linda

jollygirl
02-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Hey all. Just a quick pop in. I rescheduled my personal trainer session for tomorrow. I hope I can make it as my back went out last night. I am moving pretty funny. Hopefully it will feel better soon. Maybe with some muscle relaxers and whiskey? Anyway. Not much else to report. Hello to everyone, and i hope things are going ok.

derrydaughter
02-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Hi Jolly! Wish I had a personal trainer! Oh well.
Hey, just so you know, I did get on my treadmill for 40 minutes today, though.
On my home scale, I weighed 144 with all my clothes on AFTER eating lunch, that was a first. Of course, the scales at WW weigh me, usually, about 2 - 3 pounds heavier, but the one here at home never has gone that low. I had a shirt and sweater on as well as jean too!
We are going away tomorrow morning to RI for the weekend, to visit my in laws. I'll probably be fed ALL weekend and will probably have wine too, so if I come back heavier - at least I am at a "low" now!
You all might not hear from me until Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. Have a great weekend, Raven I am sending BAT to help you plan your new life. I'm routing for you!
Linda

redballoon
02-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Wow, Derry, congratulations on that super new low weight. :bravo: You must be well under 144 if you did all that clothed and after eating. Fantastic. :cp: Oh, I can't wait to see the day I get there myself!!

derrydaughter
02-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Red, and that day will come for you! Someone quoted Shakespeare's Hamlet to me this week and it hit home a bit. There is a scene that Hamlet indicates "readiness is all it takes to effect a change". So true! If you are really ready and make a decision that the change is necessary and that is that, then is shall happen! Good thoughts for the day!
So far, no chocolate!
One thing that could happen is that we are going to my in laws for the weekend, and I did say to my husband that if chocolate were served to us as far as a dessert is concerned that I wouldn't make a big deal and would probably graciously eat it. I carry this only so far, I guess? I don't know, we'll see when the time comes. But, on my own, at home, I've been so GOOD!
Yesterday afternoon, I really wanted chocolate.... almost gave in, but I didn't! I did find that those Rice Krispies treat bars that you can buy are only 2 WW points and taste nice and have a bit of a crunch when you eat them! I like them and having one of those with a cup of tea, took away the chocolate cravings for the afternoon!
Linda

redballoon
02-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Thanks Linda. About the weekend at the in-laws, couldn't you phone ahead and tell them of your Lenten challenge, thus giving them time NOT to serve chocolate. Or. . . are you kind of hoping they do? ;) I feel my challenge getting harder and harder. I will try to regain my enthusiasm so I can stick to this. Even last night, out drinking, I didn't have anything I wasn't allowed and that is major because my resolve tends to slip with the alcohol of course.

derrydaughter
02-19-2005, 07:31 AM
I could have phoned ahead, you are right. I hate to make special requests, though, as my MIL gets cranky. She's been aware and helpful of my weigh loss goals, at least, by providing lte bread and things like that, but I have to be careful with her.
Maybe you are right, am I looking for excuses?
Well, take care and I'll be back!
Linda

redballoon
02-19-2005, 07:54 AM
Hi there. Yes, I understand when someone can be cranky that you don't want the added possible irritant of making requests. Really, even if you have chocolate this time, like you said, it's a matter of being gracious. If you can stop at the little bit that will keep your mother-in-law happy but won't mean you're indulging yourself, then that's still a victory I think. I was thinking of something similar last night. I was getting down about having made a date to go drinking with friends, especially since I had been great all week with eating and exercising. I saw the inevitable large amounts of beer as ruining my track record and stopping me from losing weight but then I thought, no way, one night out on the down isn't what got me fat and even two nights out on the town every week wouldn't have gotten me there either. It's everything else. Yes, the momentum is kind of pulled up short when you're on a roll and then do something you know will stop you in your tracks. But you can get moving again. If I don't I it's nobody's fault but mine. As for you and chocolate, since this is not really a diet thing, it is largely the thought that counts. You are thinking of giving it up, you ARE giving it up and you are trying to not hurt others while doing it. I think the Lenten spirit is still wholly there. Well, have fun on the weekend! I'm wrapping up Saturday here. :wave:

jollygirl
02-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi all. Quick post as I head to the gym. Good luck with all your challenges right now. Derry, the only reason I have a personal trainer, is because it was part of the package of joining. I only get 2-3 sessions (or 4-5 if I break it into half hour increments). I certainly couldn't afford it otherwise, and am not sure how I will like it anyway. We shall see. I will have to be careful, as my back/hips are still tender. But, at least I can go.

I will have a challenge tonight too, as my mother is taking me out for a belated birthday present. Ah well, that's real life I guess. Being able to balance out all that comes our way, and not using it as an excuse. Doing the right thing in moderation.

Have a great day all.

redballoon
02-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Jolly, good for you for getting to the gym like you have been. I am losing my enthusiasm again mainly because work is preventing me from getting to the gym and riding. Ugh. Such a pain. This up and down and go round and round. Spinning wheels always it seems. Really, wish I could get in gear and stay in gear. I have been perfect with my Lenten thing but even that is losing its appeal and today will be a major temptation as I have to go to the racetrack and write a story from there and that is always I time I need to have something very portable to eat. Even if I stay away from the sugar I have always had nuts and those are one of the things I've given up. I will have to think of something else to eat or just try NOT to eat. Jolly, when you say you are tender, what is wrong? Do you just mean sore from working out or did I miss something you did to yourself?! How is work? Any better? Why are you having to do so much work these days? Have people quit or are they just piling it on you because you can do it? Well, hope to see some action around here. It's really been lonely recently. Derry, how are you holding up with the chocolate? Happy, Chachee, Rave, where are you all? Anyone else? Anyone new, come on in and talk. :sunny:

jollygirl
02-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Hi, Red. Hope your resolve sticks with you at the track. Tell me again why you gave up nuts? Seems like that would be a healthy snack to munch on.

I am tender because my lower back went out Thursday night. I really had to do a lot to get it ok to work out today. I have to admit, I wasVERY disappointed with the personal trainer. She was distracted. Spent more time giving me dieting tips. Did not put a full weight training plan together. Did not do the stretching she was supposed to. She stopped to talk to some yahoo that had a quick question. I really feel like I got nothing out of the session. I will either have to see if there is someone else I can work with for my two sessions, or really have a set agenda for her of what I want.

Anyway. Off to mom's. I do have a quick NSV to report. I was hungry after the gym and runnning out to check on Chance. I know I am having a big dinner with mom tonight, so got stuff for a salad. I had some low fat pretzels (which I measured out a portion size) with it, but didn't even let myself go past the bread aisle and be tempted by my favorite baguettes. Not much of a save, but I will take it.

Have a good evening all.

redballoon
02-19-2005, 05:13 PM
Jolly, your NSV sounds like a good save to me! Bread aisles can spell mega calories! Thanks for writing. It helped lift my spirits to talk to someone. I don't know how you do it, all your work and then working out, getting to your horse on top of that. Too bad about the trainer. I see them at the gym and the ones connected to the gym are pretty useless. On top of being distracted and not caring they often are just giving instructions from the book and probably haven't even done the stuff themselves. Yes, definitely try to find someone else. Perhaps a guy would be better, or is this an all-women place? Even the private trainers I see, some of them are just going through the motions. If I had one I'd really want and need that person to be totally engaged. Oh, the nuts are part of my four-way Lenten challenge. I gave them up because I eat too many of them and I thought the sugar part of the challenge was too much about dieting. I wanted part of what I gave up for Lent to really be something I liked, that was good for me but that I would really miss for Lent. Hope you enjoy your dinner with your mother tonight! :hungry:

jollygirl
02-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Now I understand the nuts. At least, your nuts. Not that you're nuts.

I had a really good time with my mom and step dad. I very much enjoyed dinner. The only save I can report is that I ordered the smallest size Prime Rib. Ah well - I don't go out for steak more than 3 times a year.

Have a good one!

redballoon
02-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Oh, but I am. . jolly. . nuts, that is!! ;) Glad you had a fun time with your dinner. A save is a save. Get it while you can. Small steak counts! I am still perfect with my Lenten challenge. Hurrah! More drinking out at track last night after I'd written my story. But amazingly, I stayed gold. Turned down sweets and those deep-fried things I've given up. Was afraid nuts were going to appear on the scene, in which case I probably wouldn't have been able to resist but they didn't so I was clear! Oh, wait, now I remember, they (the nuts) did turn up, little slivers of almonds, BUT because they were in individual packs mixed with little dried fish (gross!) I had no problem turning them down. Of course, the beer was not good for all the calories, but it was the first time seeing these people this year and so I let loose. Will pay for it today though, am paying for it now as I have work to do!

jollygirl
02-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks Red. I had a few more saves today. Shoveled snow, and still made it to church, because I realized that with going out ot lunch with friends today, I did NOT need a big breakfast - a bowl of cereal worked fine. Went to lunch, and did not have the cheese and sauce laden enchilada I usually enjoy. I had fajitas, minus the tortillas, though I did have chips and salsa, and some rice and corn cakes. Brought some of my meal home for tomorrow's dinner. Then, went to the gym and worked out, and complained about the trainer from yesterday so I can get a different one for my two sessions.

All in all - a good day.

Hi to everyone else, and hope to hear from you soon.

derrydaughter
02-21-2005, 06:03 AM
Hi there!
I'm back from my weekend and have to admit that I did have dessert, which was a chocolate ice cream pie. However, I resisted the chocolate chip cookies that were on the counter, and boy are they usually good when she makes them.
Red, you are right that one day or one night out, etc is not what gets a person to put on all the weight. It is the day in and day out indulgences. Today, I get right back on track and that it that. No chocolate as well, of course.
By the way, the ice cream pie was good, but I didn't enjoy it as I usually would and resisted the extra hot fudge sauce that was offered to put over top as well. I didn't have a huge piece, either.
Jolly, I get it now. I thought you hired yourself a personal trainer, which would be so cool. Only the very rich can afford that, for sure! One takes note of these Hollywood types who have babies and are right back in bikinis in three or four months, must be nice, right?
Red, Chach is gone for the next couple of weeks visiting family. Not sure about Raven and Happy.
Hope you did well at the track, Red. I think there are always going to be certain places that trigger us to want to revert back to our old ways. For me, having to conserve money is going to help me, I think?
Sorry the personal trainer wasn't all that great, Jolly. I would hope for something better than what you describe. Congrats on your NSV, though!
Red, I am so proud of you for sticking with the Lenten challenge at the track, just read your post. You are doing so well! Good job!
Hey, it's snowing here and I might have to exercise and shovel today, oh well.
Linda

jollygirl
02-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Hello all. Hope we get a few more people back soon. I shoveled this morning, and made it to the gym for a short workout - even though the "bad" me tried excusing myself due to the shoveling.

I had a bit of a trigger today myself. It is the whole "restricted" thing. I am with a client all day today, so CAN'T stop for anything, so of course I feel like i need everything. i did endulge in some chips. like you say, we have to watch out for what triggers us.

Have a great day all. Congrats on getting back on track Derry, and for resisting some of the goodies.

happy2bme
02-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Hi chickies.

Finally found most of the parts to get the office desks together and my home computer set up so I should be back on a regular basis. Missed you all.

Glad to hear your surgery went well Jolly. As for the trainer, most of them at my club were the "couldn't be interested in me" type. You are wise to try out another. Even if it's free sessions now, they do want you to sign up for more so it's in their advantage to be encouraging and helpful, don't you think? I was going to a trainer for a while, yes it costs money - I was covering the cost by not smoking. It helps to get a few lessons just to get you started in a program, especially if you need to know how to do things like weights properly. Good luck.

Raven, sorry about your job loss. Hope you find the means to follow your dreams. I'm sure a determined person like you will. Too often we talk ourselves out of things. Sometimes circumstances just happen and we have nothing left to lose but try what we were scared about - and we find that we were able to make it after all!

Speaking of which, Linda, good luck with the hubby. I can understand you wanting to hang on to some security even if he wants to just finish that chapter in his life. It's hard for both people to seek a common ground. That's how I was last year - there are moments when you're ringing your hands with worry and then boom, something happens and you muddle your way through. I hope that boom happens soon for you. Congrats on resisting most of the weekend goodies.

Red ole buddy - don't go losing your resolve. Toe the line and keep up with your good habits. Dried fish bits and almonds???? :yikes: oh wait, you ARE in Japan. Maybe I need to mix more dried fish into my food - now THAT would keep me from eating the wrong things :lol:

Chachee - hope you enjoyed your weekend.

Catch up with you girls later, just wanted to say hello for now...

derrydaughter
02-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Good to hear from you Happy, sounds like you are truly getting settled.
Jolly, I'm thinking about joining you with the shovelling thing. It's been snowing all day. My sister was in a car accident this morning, in fact, on the highway - a multicar pile up, but she wasn't injured. Roads are trecherous, and there is no school.
I've been a good girl today, so far, but I am feeling super hungry. Seems like snowstorms realy get me into comfort food mode. I am having lite popcorn instead of pigging out.
By the way, dried fish would definately keep me from doing tons of snacking!
Linda

jollygirl
02-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Hi all. Happy, glad to hear from you. I hope things are going well with the new job, new home, etc. Derry, sorry to hear about your sister's accident, but glad she wasn't hurt.

I have beeneating better. I did not, however, make it to the gym this mroning. I woke up very sore from shoveling and work, so slept in an extra hour.

I also had some very bad news today. I took my male dog in to the vet for some knee trouble, and it turns out he has cancer. WE are trying some stuff to keep him comfortable, so cross your fingers it works. That will at least buy me some time, until I am ready to let him go.

Take care all.

redballoon
02-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Hi people. Sorry I haven't been posting. Too busy now too, but will be in later today I hope. I just saw your message jolly and wanted to say heh and I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I really feel for you here and very much know where you're coming from. Two of my four cats have gum disease which is supposed to be chronic, fatal, no chance of recovery and I have to take them in for steroid shots just to alleviate the pain. I don't know how this is going to end because eventually they will no doubt build up a resistance to the shots and they won't help anymore and then I have nothing to help them. It's very hard to find a vet here who will put an animal down that is suffering. Some twisted philosophy they have about it. They'd sooner leave an animal to "God's will" and let it die on its own then take the decision into their own hands. They'd sooner dump puppies and kittens by the roadside then put them down. You can try to make your dog as comfortable as possible. Remember, we all have to go sometime. Your love is the most important thing to him. Just let him know you love him.

happy2bme
02-23-2005, 01:41 AM
Jolly, I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. Are things so far gone that at this point it's just making them comfortable? It's hard to lose a loyal friend.

Red, sorry to hear about your cats too. I admit I'm surprised, I didn't think Japan would be against euthenizing (sp??). Great advice about love being the most important thing of all to pets (and friends and family). Don't work too hard.

Linda, I swear that snow brings out the hibernation, bulk up the food stores instinct. I have always had the worst time dieting in the winter. The lure of warm foods is so distracting. Hang in there, be strong. Make a nice healthy veggie soup!

Hellos to the rest of the crew. Gotta hit the sack now...

redballoon
02-23-2005, 06:09 AM
Oh, guys, I just got home and found one of my cats dead at the door. I opened the door and when I put my foot up on the step to go in in the dark I hit something. I could just make it out in the dark and I knew it was him, the biggest one. He had been sick and I wanted to take him to the vet if he didn't look better when I got home. He had seemed better this morning. There was blood all over the room. It must have been horrible. It looks like something ruptured inside him. It's so horrible. I just feel awful, am sitting here crying. The poor guy, that's the way I found him a few years ago, after a car accident and he miraculously survived after I took him to the vet and he gave him intravenous for two weeks. He was so big and strong it seemed. I never thought he was sick. I don't know what it was. Ah, it was such a shock. Two animals I cared for in one month now have died. Just too sad.

derrydaughter
02-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Gosh, so sorry to read about Jolly's dog and your cat, Red. How sad.
Hard to say much else this morning other than that, I guess.
We're going through tough times with DH and the job, people are begging him to stay, and he is feeling guilty. Lot's to think about.
Linda

happy2bme
02-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Red, I'm so sorry for you :grouphug: All I can say is based on what you wrote, your cat had a much better life for a while once he found you to take care of him...

and Linda, I guess DH has to consider whether there is a possibility of things improving in the office if people are able to talk openly. I think you said your husband was doing his boss' work. Generally when that's the case, things don't change - at least not for long and it leaves one or both parties a little uneasy with each other for the rest of time. So I guess he has to weigh the pros and cons and decide what's best for him and you and the family. As you said, not an easy choice...

jollygirl
02-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Oh Red. You know my thoughts are with you. I am so sorry for your loss. Take care, and post when you can. We are here for you.

redballoon
02-24-2005, 06:32 AM
jolly, derry, happy, thank you all for you kind words about my cat. It was hard but I'm better now. It certainly isn't the first time I've lost a pet. I just miss him. He was always here. Anyhow, you're all so sweet. Take care and I will try to get in the swing of writing again soon.

derrydaughter
02-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Good morning, or evening, as the case may be. I can't tell you how many times, yesterday, I thought about Red and her cat. I hugged my own cats a few times in recognition (not that they don't get hugs anyway, of course) of her losing her cat. They are so special, truly members of our family. I know how heart wrenching this much be.
Well, back to basics guys.... here we are at the end of February. How do y'all think we've done so far these last two months? If I could give myself a report card, like in school of what I have put into this since January, I'd give myself a B, and a B for effort. Not too bad. Maybe I can work up to an A sometime soon? What grades would you all give yourselves right now on Jan. and Feb.?
In December, I would only give myself a C and a C- for effort, so at least I am doing better!
Time sure went by quickly, didn't it? I don't know about everyone else, but I feel that I have crossed a barrier. I have broken through the long-standing weight loss plateau! Two major things have played a huge part in this success, I think.
First, my Lenten challenge, giving up chocolate for lent might turn into a longer time period, with minor indulgences now and then for me. I think I have "kicked the habit" and I am feeling less emotional highs and lows in each day. I think the chocolate was responsible for a constant craving for sweets. I'm on a much more even keel and I seem to be less concerned about in between meal snacks. I have had some snacks, but I am truly not craving sweets, in general, anywhere near as much.
The second thing that is responsible for my continuing success is trying to be lighthearted (sure is helping even during a truly stressful time in my life) and allow that inner diva within me, the thin person, to have a true say in my choices. Frisky, the inner diva is so much more a person to be proud of. She has always been within me, but I am letting "her" speak to me. My WW leader spoke about our weight loss being a lifetime journey and that we need to find ways to enjoy the journey and not feel that we are always punishing ourselves. This really hit home with me and I am finding pleasure in the self control. I am discovering different eating habits that really aren't all that bad.
So, for me, I'm feeling better in 2005. I know some of us are going through some really rough times right now, jobs, pets, family, etc. But, we need to focus on ourselves and our goals, which can be accomplished regardless of problems that go on in our lives. There are always going to be issues that cause stress, we would not be human if that wasn't part of our lives. We can't make excuses. If one has no income, that is not an excuse to not exercise and eat too much. It might effect WHAT we eat, but we certainly can exercise self control. I have to remember this in the few weeks/months ahead.
A healthier, thinner person can face life's problems much better and be ready to accept challenges.
Together, we gain strength!
Linda, thoughtful on this cold New England morning

jollygirl
02-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Good morning all. Derry, you really gave me something to think about. My search for my inner diva got kind of waylaid - I admit. But, despite the stress, I haven't been overdoing the food. I did skip the gym this morning. I was just exhausted. Between the high tension at work the last couple of weeks, the surgery, the new part time job, and now this - I am surprised I am still vertical, to be honest. So, tomorrow I have my second session with the trainer, so I know I will go. And I will keep going. The only positive out of this is a clear kick in the pants to ENJOY life - you can't wait for the right moment to live your life, as you never know how many moments you will get. How much time we waste? I will try that when I lose weight. I will like myself more when I do this or that. I know I am trying to make the most of each moment, to not be too busy to do the right thing, to spend time with someone I care about, to scratch a furry belly that is waiting for me.

Count your blessings, everyone - they are so much more abundant than your challenges!

And one blessing that I am especially counting today is that (for my horsie friends) I can ride tonight for the first time since my surgery :) Hopefully Chance will be as thrilled about this as I am.

Have a good day all.

happy2bme
02-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Not that you need to hear it from me, but do enjoy your ride tonight Jolly. I can understand how staying away had to be hard for you.

Great post Linda. I would have to give myself a D for the last 2 months. So much going on and the worst part is that I didn't really try very hard even to change minor things. Well maybe that's not entirely true. It rains ALOT down here but when it is sunny I have made it a habit to walk at lunch at the lake around here. I am pestering DH to get something so we can set up the treadmill. He keeps promising me and since his last promise (by the end of the month) expires on Monday, I can feel justified in starting the nagging again. Food here is not so great. I mean the quality is not so great and it doesn't taste as good. Maybe if we can get the grill going next week, that will change things. As I think about it, I have a million excuses and I just have to put them aside and GET IT DONE. Much of the chaos is behind me - or at least better able to control and it's time for me to get back to basics myself. You are so right about the healthy thinner person. I see myself in the mirror in the ladies room and I keep forcing myself to look (tho I'd rather turn away and ignore the obvious). I think when you are actively TRYING to make an effort, it lifts your mood all around rather than getting bummed out over how happy you aren't in this skin of ours.

I pretty much stopped eating chocolate about 2 years ago when I was on a diet program. I can say one thing, when my "sweet treat" for the day was a nice piece of fresh fruit, I did much better. I really savored that plum in the afternoon to the point that I got miffed when my husband would take one - after all he could have all the cookies and ice cream and soda, don't eat my one treat! But when you do start eating the bad stuff and paying attention, it's easy to see how sugar begets more sugar.

I think I'll go wash that peach in my lunch bag. One more day until Friday. I have come to adore Fridays because right after Friday night is Saturday which means I can sleep a little longer :cloud9:

derrydaughter
02-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Glad you guys liked my post. I really feel better and more positive, though some pretty nasty things are going on in my life. I like what Jolly said about living your life NOW and not waiting, that makes sense.
Happy, you need to get that treadmill set up, you go girl!
In the meantime, it's time to get dinner on the table here, the family is hovering around me like wolves! Guess it smells good in here today! I have one of those Showtime Rotisierres (sp?) that they advertise on tv. By the way, it's a great fat free way to cook, or low fat I guess. I have a roaster chicken on it cooking right now and these things come out great tasting and the clean up with this particular unit is really easy! It has a steamer that mounts on top of it and I am steaming fresh carrots and making garlic mashed potatoes to go with it all. All of this food is right on program for me and healthy and yummy!
Sorry to hear you are not finding good food where you are now, Happy. What kind of issues do you have, poor produce, meats? Interesting. I was also wondering if Red has adapted to the Japanese food and their eating lifestyles or if she finds what she likes over there. I've been to a few Japanese steak houses that are pretty fancy, but have really not eaten "proper" Japanese foods.
Well, off to get that dinner, take care all and we can do this, we really can!
I'm so glad you guys are all here to chat with, by the way!
Linda

jollygirl
02-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Hey all. Real quick check in. First, I had a WONDERFUL ride last night. I guess Chance missed me as much as I missed him. It felt so good to ride again. He was very good. of course, that probably means that tonight he will make me pay for being bad.

Then . . . I went to the gym this morning to have my second session with the new trainer. And he never showed. I am checking out another gym, and see what my options are for quitting this one. I am soooo unhappy. Ah well.

Have a good day all.

redballoon
02-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Oh, Jolly, so glad to hear you had a good ride with Chance. My horse and the dogs at the stable the other day were truly a godsend. I had been fighting back the tears, with not all that much success, as I walked to the club the other day, but when I saw this little Jack Russell tearing across the field to meet me as I neared the place, it just lifted my spirits. Then the Lab and the little French bull and of course all the horses. I just remembered they all need me to love them and though I miss Tiger terribly I am hoping he is at peace. When I am lying in bed and hear the cat door squeak behind me in the darkened room I imagine it's him. Kind of scary but then again kind of reassuring. He's buried right outside and that too makes me feel better. It's times like this, early morning, the room starting to warm up with the kerosene heater going. All the cats out here in the kitchen with me (I only have one room and the kitchen and that's where my computer is), these are the times I start to cry wishing Tiger was still sitting there too, he had the biggest round eyes. Listening to Riders on the Storm (Doors) on my iTunes. It's not just a cat that died, it's all the cats, the dogs, the horses, the little critters, and of course, the people, all those I loved that touched my life and are gone. Well, maybe they're out there somewhere, or even inside me. But I miss them. I guess one thing to think of that is reassuring is that they are the same as all those out there who can still be like them, once strangers, then loved ones, not memories that hurt. I think the sadness is just part of the happiness really. You can't be happy without being able to be sad. You can't have one without the other. When I start to hate myself for being so saddened by a death I have to remember that it is that very ability to feel that sadness that gives me the ability to feel such joy. It's a curse in a way, but it's also a blessing.

Jolly, it sounds like that gym is not a very good one. Good for you for looking for a better one. I've learned to put up with so much crap that I fear I go way too far most of the time. It has been a great lesson in forbearance and all that but I think I have to put my foot down and seek better. Last night, I was sorely tempted to go drinking with the guys at work but I didn't. Really, the lack of money was what prevented me but I was also thinking of all the calories. Everyone else, I will catch up later. Linda, Happy, your posts were great. Linda, you saying you hugged your cats more thinking of my lost one was so touching. Thanks.

On the diet, challenge front, I am still OK! No sugar, nuts, deep-fried croquets or bean-filled things since the start of Lent. It's been hard with the sugar but yesterday when I wanted something sweet I had a bit of grape juice. Normally, I don't drink fruit juice but I couldn't get to the store to buy fruit so I had that. It was like candy to me!

Trying to find more time here . . . till later! :wave:

jollygirl
02-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Hi all. Red, a huge congrats to you for keeping on track, despite what's been going on. I wish I could say the same. And a huge hug too.

I just want to cry right now. My friend still hasn't contacted me, so I guess she is still mad. I have to work at my part time job this weekend. I have to work tonight at my full time job, because the team leader couldn't be bothered to train her new staff. I have to go in late tomorrow night to train two staff on how to do a nebulizer. I didn't get a chance to ride this afternoon as I planned because I was tracking down a nebulizer. . . . Sigh. Could someone get me some cheese to go with this whine??? I am just tired. Overwhelmed. I want some help. And I just feel lost. My eating is not good.

OK. Enough of the whining for now. Here's to a better night. Hope everyone else is well.

redballoon
02-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Jolly, despite your low, I had to laugh at the "cheese with the whine!" That was good. In fact, it took a tick before I got it! :lol: Did I miss something, what is this about your friend not calling you and being mad at you? I don't know what happened but if your friend is mad that's her problem, not yours. She has to get over it and deal with it, not you. People shouldn't be touchy, easily ticked, whatever, it's arrogant, totally arrogant. If she can't fight it out in the open with you, then it's not worth it. Sorry you didn't get to ride. I know these things are way more than what they sound to be to others. You need this ride, this time with your horse. I hope you can get there soon. You ARE tired. You ARE overwhelmed. Come on, deep breaths. It's like you're in the ocean way off shore. You're tired and getting to shore is hard and starting to look impossible. The panic sets in, you HAVE to swim or drown. DON'T feel the panic. Tread for a while. Concentrate on you and you alone, your strength, and then just move slowly, always focusing on your strength, within. Don't think of all that has to be done, the distance to shore, your tiring muscles. Just focus on your strength. You can do this jolly. Calm. Don't think about your eating now. Think about your ride on Chance the other day if that helps you. Don't think about not being able to ride him now, think of how that good ride felt. Take that mindset into your other tasks. I don't even know what a nebulizer is let alone how to use one. You have these awesome skills and knowledge. You may feel lost but you're not lost. Just gather your strength. Calm, calm, calm.

jollygirl
02-26-2005, 09:05 AM
Red, thank you SO MUCH! I guess it is true that God sends us what we need, even if from unexpected sources. Thank you. You are right. One of my biggest faults, both personally and work wise, is that I have tunnel vision when there are problems. I like to get from the problem to the solution, as quick as possible. So, usually this is a good thing - I am a good problem solver. But, when there are multiple problems at once, I get distracted, and frustrated because I can't just go from problem to solution - there are so many side trips along the way. You are right, I need to learn how to tread water for a bit. Maybe if I slow down, brreath, and wait - a ship will come along. Or Flipper - I could take a well trained dolphin.

Just two side notes - a nebulizer is a machine that gives medicine treatments to help people breath. A client of mine now needs one, and I have to make sure the staff can do it. As for my friend, I love her, I know she cares about me and my "fur children" but she is a very logical person. When I told her about Justin, she got very upset, and was asking all sorts of when/why/how questions. I understand things need to make sense to her, but it wasn't helping me deal with my pain over MY dog. Finally, I snapped and told her I didn't understand what she was looking for, because all these questions were doing was make me feel like a bad f^@$*#g owner. Except, there weren't any cute symbols when I said it. Now she wouldn't say **** if she stepped in it, and was clearly offended. I did email her the next morning, and left a message last night, saying I was sorry I swore at her, but I haven't heard back. Ah, the guilt just keeps coming and coming.

So that's all I have to say about that. How are you doing?? Have you had anymore chances to go ride? I am going this morning, if I get my butt off the computer in time :) I hope you are all right. have a good day.

And to everyone else, QUIT LURKING! Come, chat. Give me something to think about other than my own selfish self. (See, it is all about me). SEriously though, I hope to hear from everyone soon, and that things are working out with new homes, new jobs, finding new jobs, health etc. Take care and have a good day.

derrydaughter
02-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Sorry, I wasn't lurking. I took a day off from posting on this thread and the other one I am on. I think I am having a rougher time, emotionally about DH's job and spent alot of time yesterday doing nothing but watching tv and feeling sorry for myself, to be honest. Not a good thing. I did quilt for awhile, which gives me some peace, but all in all, I wasted my day.
Sounds like someone needs to scoop us all up off the floor or something?
But, on a positive level, I have still not given in and had chocolate. I made a low fat pineapple upside down cake yesterday (so I guess I wasn't being totally worthless yesterday, after all!). It's 4 ww points a slice, not too bad and it was satisfying. Now, the big problem is that no one else likes pineapple in my household, so I think I will freeze the rest of the cake and bring it to my quilt meeting on Wednesday as I just don't want to have that sitting on the counter and eat is ALL by myself.
Do you all ever have something that you just HAVE to have and get out of your system now and then? The pineapple cake was IT for me, pretty weird, right?
Given that I made the cake with applesauce instead of oil and it has a fruit topping as opposed to fatty frosting, it's a much better choice for a dessert than any other cake like thing, other than the soda cakes. But, I ended up putting frosting on those anyway and they amounted to as many points as this pineapple thing.
I am still amazed at how much self control I've had, though, in the past I might have had two slices of that cake last night, instead of one. I would probably have indulged in a huge piece of it for breakfast this morning as well. Instead I had a 1/2 banana and oatmeal with skim milk. What a good girl!
I'm still feeling a bit sick, coughing at night and congested with a sinus headache, etc. The entire household has had this lovely virus and we are all talking squeeky!
Linda

jollygirl
02-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi Derry. WOW. Huge congrats on staying away from the chocolate, and coming up with solutions to the extra cake issue. I know things are stressful for you right now, but you are making good choices for yourself. Way to go.

I did go work out today, and I did get to ride. Had another good ride. I am trying to just focus on each moment as it comes, and enjoy or deal with it, whatever the case may be. Not drive myself nuts worrying about "couldawouldashouldas" or what could happens. I am a slow learner, but I am trying.

Have a great day all.

redballoon
02-26-2005, 05:20 PM
Hi, guys. Sunday morning here. I am going to try to get to the stable. It's so far away and I don't feel the best but I know that if I get into the habit of canceling it'll be a fast roll downhill. I usually feel better after I go and the whole reason for most of my travails are because I have this horse and because I want to become a good rider so I've got to buckle down and just do it. I've learned not to think, to just say, "shut up!" when I start to think of the pain, the hardships. It gets me out there.

Jolly, glad something I said helped you. Sometimes, in fact, maybe more often than not, life throws us all sorts of problems at once. And some of them, I don't think have solutions, or, at least, not ones we want to take, which means, they're not really solutions are they? A lot of things work themselves out, or we get past them without directly dealing with them. I've found a lot of things just need TIME. Kind of like a seed wanting to germinate. I mean, if we were farmers and we'd get all in a tizzy wondering why that seed hadn't sprouted yet and we'd go and dig it up to keep checking it, it would never have a chance to do just what only time can do. Some problems are like that. I think with your friend it could be that as well. Then again, maybe the problem was one just waiting to be discovered, in other words, that this friend, has this problem and is just going to have to deal with it. In fact, from the sounds of it, I'd say that's what's going on. I mean, you can't do much more. There is certainly nothing wrong with swearing, expressing your emotions. It's not even like you told her off directly. And even if you had, that's your right and if you needed to do that at that time then you should do it because you have to express yourself and grow from there. You can't suffocate your thoughts and feelings and expect to grow. Anyhow, that wasn't even the case. If a person can't hear certain words without being personally offended, then, I say, get a life. Life isn't cute. Life isn't about Miss Manners. You emailed her. You said you were sorry. And you shouldn't be sorry, because swearing is OK. I assume you meant you were sorry you had offended her, but you see, there again, that's her problem, NOT yours. If she wants you to change because she has a problem then she's trying to put you on a guilt trip. You don't need those kind of friends. If your relationship means nothing more to her than that, if your friendship can be sacrificed over some swearing, then it's not much of a friendship, is it? Maybe she'll come around. Give her a little time. If not, chalk it up as a case of circumstances revealing the person. Jolly, you need friends that are there for you, when YOU need them, not when it's pretty, not when it's convenient. You approached her, showing her you wanted to continue the friendship. If she is on a high horse somewhere, leave her there. Someday she'll get bucked off. NO GUILT, Jolly!! Heh, good to hear you had another good ride. That's good, short-range focus. This is how you get through the real hellish times. Bring it down to the microcosm. That is still a part of the big picture. When you're in the woods, you have to see the trees to get out.

Derry -- Yes, great going with the chocolate challenge. I love pineapple. That cake would have been gone in no time with me! I'm still good with my challenge but it certainly doesn't seem to be helping in the weight arena. I don't understand that either because I know I was consuming mega calories with the sugar. But, that's not why I started the challenge, well, maybe it was and I wasn't admitting it, but I'm going to have to face up to what I said in the start and not throw in the towel now because the scale isn't budging. I hope you feel better with your cold/flu and that something comes along positive on the job scene. Are you working at the fast food place? Yes, these days are bad ones it seems for all of us, but we have to think that this is a great training ground. We'll be so much stronger when we come out of it, graduation day! here we come! This self-control revelation you are having, derry, is no little thing. This will serve you well in other times, not the self-control, or not just that, but the knowing that you can do something you set out to do.

derrydaughter
02-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Hi!
No, I'm not working, guess they didn't have the shift available that I wanted, or something about me didn't appeal? At any rate, they didn't call me in to work. However, I did obtain phone numbers of a couple of area temp agencies, maybe that would be best for me right now?
If you have truly given up all those calories, Red, I wonder why the scale hasn't shown numbers in your favor? Keep at it! I know what you mean about it not necessarily being about the scale vs. self control and all that. However, I sometimes notice that it really takes awhile for the scale to show when you've been really good - sometimes as much as three weeks. We all want really immediate results, but that is not always the case.
I must be feeling a bit better as my appetitie is coming back! Not a good thing, considering, but still it's good to be feeling a bit healthier.
Hope things work out with your friend, Jolly.
Today, is a calming day, I proclaim it. What is it that calms your soul? For some of you, it's riding. I am working on DH to hop in the car and take a ride to the ocean and walk on the beach, it's biting cold here, but I don't care. I just think the ocean is where I need to be right now.
We live about a 20 minute ride from the ocean here in NH, not to bad to get there.
Linda

jollygirl
02-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Right now, finding time, somehow, somewhere to take care of clutter would be calming. Ah well. Maybe tomorrow when I wait for the cable guy. Good luck getting to the beach, Derry. Water is always soothing for me. And good luck going to ride REd, you know you will feel better after.

I tried out a new gym today. Was going to wait until Thursday, so I could check out a class, but I didn't have time to get to the gym I want to quit, and workout before work. So, I asked if I could use my pass today at the other gym, and they did. Much nicer atmosphere. So, Miss Impulsive will hopefully be changing gyms on Friday. since I have had such a hard time getting someone to help me put together a weight routinek, I am just going to try and find comparable machines to the ones I was using at the first gym, and just continue that routine for now.

Well, I have to hurry and do a few things before going to work. Take care all. Good luck with the temp agency, Derry! :wave:

redballoon
02-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Hi Derry, the ocean sounds very calming. If it's only 20 mins. away you should try to get there more often, no? Biting cold can make it even better. Kind of puts things in perspective. The winter ocean, especially the Atlantic is awesome, reminds you of the power of nature, of the hugeness of things and I think we need this is this world today where everything seems so close, so accessible, so controllable, such a matter of just doing it. There are bigger things out there, in fact, what moves our lives. Guess I can use a bit of that too. I don't really have anything calming here in Tokyo. Part of the problem. I love nature but around here it's all people, people, people, no matter where you go, ocean, mountains.

Jolly, how are things with you? I'm glad you found a gym that seems better. Atmosphere means a lot. But remember, that changes with the day and the people that are in it. If you socialize a bit while you're there and make friends, just to say a few words to, it can make all the difference.

Well, just a quickie. Have work to do before I go to the office.
:wave:

jollygirl
02-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Hey all. Just another quickie for me too. You know how I said what would be relaxing for me would be some time to clear out some clutter??? Well, my part time job was dead tonight, and I got to leave two hours early. I had time to do the dishes, do my budget stuff, groom the dogs, snuggle over a little Oscars and still get to bed earlier than I would have if I had worked a full shift. Just getting my table cleared off makes me feel better :) Now, if I can do my house cleaning tomorrow while I wait for the cable guy . . .

Have a good one everyone.

derrydaughter
02-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Red, can't imagine having so many people around all the time. There must be some way to travel "out" of this enviroment and find a calm sense of peace? Maybe something like Ansel Adams photography books? Have you seen his stuff? Put on some soft music, take the time to study nature in some way, even if it's not right in front of you!
Jolly, so glad you had some time to organize a bit. I know when my house is cluttered, my mind is cluttered! This kind of stressed feeling probably contributes to grabbing at food vs. planning the right and proper foods as well?
Well, we did go to the ocean yesterday. We drove south into Massachusetts and through the towns of Rowley and Ipswich MA. We saw several historic New England homes, built in the 1600s and 1700s in our travels and drove out over a bridge onto an island called Plum Island where there are miles and miles of clam flats as far as the eye can see in either direction. Ipswich MA is known for these marshes called clam flats where the majority of ocean clamming is done, probably the most clamming in the entire Northeast USA, it's amazing. The birds, the sea and the contrast of stark snow and ice against the gorgeous dark blue ocean was amazing. I was glad we went.
we came home to a nice cozy fire, beef stew and popovers and watched some of the Oscars as well.
I'm glad we took some time to refocus.
Loved your comments, Red, on the "hugeness" of things, so very true.
Linda

derrydaughter
02-28-2005, 08:28 AM
One more thing, take a look at this place:
http://libraries.mit.edu/rvc/kidder/kjpegs/C2039-011~.jpg
This is the historic John Whipple house in Ipswich MA, built around 1640, just one of the places we drove by, thought you would enjoy seeing a bit of New England!
Linda

jollygirl
02-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Hey all. Derry, glad you got a chance to get out and relax. I really hope things pick up for you soon, jobwise.

Not much to report this morning. I did make it to the gym, even though I am really overtired. Too many days of multitasking two jobs. But, only three more workouts to go before I can give my resignation at the gym and switch.

Have a great day all.

RavenToy
02-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Ok. I got a job. Can I stop moping now?

It's not the greatest paying, but it will pay the bills, feed the horses, and finance my hoof care training. What more could I ask?

The hours are going to be weird and demanding for the next couple months, but perhaps now I can start focusing on my health a bit again. I know I haven't been keeping up - I hope everyone is doing alright.

This job offer came just in the nick of time. Now I have to do the mental shift from worryworryworryagonizeworry to positive and forward thinking. I wasn't expecting to hear anything about this position till at LEAST Wednesday, but they called and wanted me to start today if at all possible. So, I go in after lunch! Yay!

Ok .. I suppose I'd better get off my derrier and go get ready, huh?

Apple Blossom
02-28-2005, 04:48 PM
As I am writing this, my 5 year old is doing step aerobics and my 9 month old is watching with facination. I will get off my butt and join her in a moment.
Yes, I'm guilty of lurking. I've been busy moving my mom into her new apartment at an assisted living facility.She seems to be doing well, she's been there almost a week. It's a nice place. I'd like to take a vacation there. A few nights of peace and quiet would do wonders right now. It's been a stressful week. My brothers have actually done most of the work, but they both went home and now we're on our own. Bad timing for my husband too, he left the day before everyone else came. I think he'll be back Wed.
Needless to say I've been eating terribly and drinking lots of beer. I would give my self a D for Feb, and F if it weren't for the fact that I haven't gained anything back. That's just amazing to me. If I'd just skipped the beer and ate a little more sensibly I could have lost those 5 pounds. Oh well.
This week I'm off beer, OK?
I felt really sad when I read about Red's cat. My Peter Cat is 17 years old and on his last legs. He actually pooped twice in the house last week, once on a bed and once in the kitchen. Yuck. I think he senses my stress. I also think somethings up with his kidneys. I'm afraid to take him to the vet because it might just send him down hill if he has to start taking all kinds of meds and it will cost an arm and a leg too. He is 17 after all. He doesn't seem to be suffering. But if he poops in the house again I'll probably have him examined.
Ok, Kate is losing patience with me. I'll post again later, to help get me through day one of no beer. Caio!

redballoon
02-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Jolly, Derry, Raven, Apple Blossom, hello! OK, just a flyby here. Will be back later for a longer post.

Derry, I love that photo. Saved it to my computer. Jolly, excellent work getting to the gym! :cp:
Rave, I am SO glad to hear you've got a job. Gives me hope.
And Apple, thanks for the long post. I will get back later. Good for you for trying to get away from the beer. Has it become a habit for you? during the daytime? I was in that habit for a while, would sit here in the evening drinking and watching videos, then get on the phone and start making calls all over, switch to overseas when it got to late to be calling locally! Not a good thing, though fun for a while. I stopped when I realized it was kind of sad to be doing that, not to mention the calories! Well, good luck, and remember, beer is laden with calories and most of them go around your belly!

happy2bme
03-01-2005, 01:33 AM
Hi peoples,

Sorry I've been mostly lurking. Too many things going on here. Time just flies by. I have to decide between posting or going to bed at a decent hour and getting some sleep. Sleep has been winning out.

Raven, good to hear that you have a job. Sometimes an interim job is better than nothing at all. And maybe if this is just "a job" you can stay focused on your goals and not be distracted by jobs that suck the life out of you.

Linda, are you getting socked by the nor' easter? DH's family tells us they've had a pretty snowy winter. We just tell them better them than us - but better not talk because we could get ice if we get TOO cocky. In any event, stay warm.

Jolly, did you get a package deal at the gym? Is that why you're waiting to switch? Congrats on still keeping up with your workouts AND 2 jobs! Wow...

Don't you get bloated up with beer from the hops in it too? I don't know, never could hold my beer. I know I can count on one hand all the beers I've had in my life. Not that's not to say I avoid other alchohol :o -- but, I'm more into a glass or 2 of wine once in a while now.

I hate to drop in and run, but it's getting late and I'd better get to bed. Hi's to Red and Apple and the rest of you, it's a new month - can you believe March already - I'm going to try and be more of a regular.

derrydaughter
03-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Good to see many posts here to read!
First, yeah for Raven, congrats on the job! I'm soooo releived for you. I hope to have good news like that to report about DH soon????
Apple, watch that beer, I was having a glass of wine every night for awhile after 9/11. It seemed logical, I was really upset and I found myself grinding my teeth at night. The dentist said I could ask for a valium prescription or try having a glass of wine in the evenings to relax me better in my sleep. The wine did seem to help, and I had an aversion to pill taking, so I began a habit of the wine each night. But, if you add the calories to my usual diet every day, that is probably responsible for many of the pounds I have been working so very hard to shed all this time! I did like it, though, but have chosen a special mouth guard to wear during stressful times instead.
Glad you like the photo, Red. Might be nice is we all shared a photo or two of something of interest in the areas we live in once in awhile. The New England historic homes are truly something around here, by the way.
Well, off I should go to have some breakfast and do my workout. It's later than usual for me, today, as my kids are on a one week winter school vacation and I got to sleep a bit later!
One more thing, Jolly, I am glad you can get out of this gym so easily. Seems like some of them have contracts and issues and really "get" you. Also, I wouldn't hesitate to speak out about how you felt when there. Doesn't sound like the best place at all.
Oh yes, and we are getting tons of snow! It started after I went to bed last night and they expect another foot of snow by later today. Good day to stay indoors.
Linda

jollygirl
03-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Check out the new thread!

redballoon
03-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Thanks Jolly, for the new thread. Here's the link to make it easier to jump over. I like the name!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54229 :dance: