Support Groups - Singles Supporting Singles #3

View Full Version : Singles Supporting Singles #3

SheriaVa
02-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Hello all you singles! Please join us for a discussion about losing weight and getting healthy as a single in a world that is often designed for two!

We are hoping to see our old regulars from before the holidays come back and join us...come back! Come back to the fold! We still wuv you! :)

And if you want to check back to the previous thread to get to know us a bit, click right HERE! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=768944#post768944)

Christalynn
02-02-2005, 01:06 PM
I think I posted once or twice a while ago. I'm a 30 yeard old college student trying to lose about 85 pounds. I'm on WW and planning on switching to regular calorie counting and increased exercise.
I'm on a search to find out just how many calories I need to lose weight and everywhere I go I'm told something ddifferent. I hope to get the right answer soon.
I'm looking forward to meeting new people in the same boat..single and trying to shed the extra pounds.

shanberg
02-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Hi. I would like to join your group. The only thing is, I don't have internet at my house, so would only be able to "chat" during the week. Would this be ok?

Christalynn
02-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Shannon,

Hello! I don't think they would mind if you could only post during the week.

SheriaVa
02-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Welcome back, Christina, good to see you again! I think I might be able to help you on determining how many calories you need to eat. I will look up where I think that information is and get back to you.

Shannon, welcome! Of course, you can post any time! We would love to have you join us. There used to be considerably more people posting regularly to this thread last fall but, once the holidays hit, they all disappeared and have not reappeared. :(

But we can build a new group! :) It doesn't take a large group to support one another...and in fact sometimes it's easier to keep up with the discussion when it's a smaller group. So everyone, feel free to chime in!

About me...I'm 52 years old and single, living in the Washington DC suburbs. I've been eating healthy and exercising regularly since July 1, 2003. I do not follow or belong to any formal plan or program; I eat lowfat and low calorie and high fiber, whole grains vs. white, fresh veggies & fruits every day, and drink lots of water. I exercise 5 days a week; 3 days of cardio (45 minutes or more each) and 2-3 days of toning or weights (30 minutes or more each).

As of July 1, 2004, I had lost 35 pounds. Since then, I've pretty much been gaining and losing the same 3 pounds! :( I have reduced my cholesterol dramatically and am still plugging away, despite 2004 being much more about maintaining my weight loss than accomplishing NEW weight loss. I'm recommitting myself to getting my weight loss jumpstarted again in 2005 so that I can be back on the way to reaching my goal weight.

I think why I spent so much of 2004 not losing weight breaks down into a couple of reasons: 1) my age (the ol' metabolism is NOT our friend when we get over 40, kids); 2) meds I take; 3) my love of sweets (I am quite disciplined, actually, but when I fall off the wagon, it is almost always with sweets); and 4) I don't eat enough calories some days (I tend to cut back TOO much).

Sorry this is so long!

SheriaVa
02-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Christina: This is from the book "Fight Fat After Forty" by Dr. Pamela Peeke. Like you said, there are a lot of formulas out there and they're all different, but this woman's specialty is weight loss so I trust her formula. Hope you're ready for some math homework! LOL

EXCERPTED FROM FIGHT FAT AFTER FORTY BY DR. PEEKE

RESTING METABOLIC RATE & CALORIC NEEDS

1. What is your weight in pounds?

2. What is your weight in kilograms? (divide weight in lbs by 2.2)

3. What is your height in inches?

4. What is your height in centimeters? (multiply height in inches by 2.54)

5. What is your age?

6. Insert weight in kilograms, height in centimeters, & age into the following equation:

(10 x weight in kilograms) + (6.25 x weight in centimeters) – (5 x age) – 161

7. The answer is your RMR (resting metabolic rate). (Your RMR is the # of calories your body needs just to breathe & function at rest.)
Example: A woman 41 years old, weights 180lbs & is 5ft 4 in.
(180 divided by 2.2 = 81.8 or 82) (5ft 4in = 64 in. times 2.54 = 162.56 or 163 centimeters)

(10 x 82) + (6.25 x 163) – (5 x 41) – 161 =
(820) + (1018.75) – (205) – 161 = 1472.75 or 1473 calories

To figure your caloric needs based on your activity level:

1. Figure out your activity level & use the appropriate # below as a multiplier.
(65% of Americans are in the “a” category)
a. if you are in the sedentary to light category, multiply your RMR by 1.4
(ie: desk job)
b. if you are in the moderate category, multiply your RMR by 1.6
(ie: light lifting & walking)
c. if you are in the strenuous category, multiply your RMR by 1.9
(ie: heavy lifting or using heavy machinery – raise a sweat every day)

RMR x activity level = calories needed to maintain current weight.
(Example from above: 1473 x 1.4 = 2062.2 or 2062 calories

2. To lose weight, subtract up to but not more than 500 calories from your maintenance calories calculated in step one. Do not go below 1200 calories per day or you will slow down you metabolism! Add physical activity to your routine to improve your fitness level. Physical activity builds muscle & muscle burns more calories.

Christalynn
02-02-2005, 03:06 PM
SheriaVa- uh, thanks for all the equations :lol: I am so glad that I have a scientific calculator :^:

shanberg
02-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the invite!

About me...I am 30 yrs old. I lost 30lbs on Weight Watchers online, but decided to try it on my own. I have managed to loose another 10 lbs. (I keep loosing and gaining the same two or three, too!) I don't really follow a plan. I count my calories, alternating between 1700 and 1900 a day. I exerce at least 5 times a week-sometimes less if I have to work over. For the first time in a long time I am mere inches away from dropping below the 260 mark. That is my goal for this month. So far, I haven't done very well...no idea why.

Anyway, that is my story. I look forward to posting with you ladies!

corningkat
02-02-2005, 09:44 PM
hi singles! thanks sheriva for starting the new thread. i guess the idea worked. welcome christalynn and shanberg. :) i'm glad you can join us. like sheriva said earlier, it's been very quiet since the holidays.

i am 39, single and live in corning, ny. i was following ww, but they cancelled the daytime meetings in my area. i work 2nd shift, so i can't attend an evening meeting. i had just started back to ww too. i was really disappointed they cancelled. the past year i have been having medical problems, so i've gained the 30lbs that i had previous lost. i couldn't exercise for a while and what an impact that had. my body didn't wait till 40 to decide to have a break down. :lol: anyways, i am getting things straightened out slowly but surely and need to get crackin'. i just got a playstation and that dance dance revolution game for exercise. i actually haven't had time to try it yet, but i will open it this weekend. i hear it's great fun. i also ordered that urban rebounder (trampoline) that is on tv. now i can get my butt movin'.:tread:

i am off from work tonite so i guess i'd better go get something accomplished. will check back tomorrow. have a great thursday!
kathy

shanberg
02-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi, all.

Not sure how this works, but thought I'd check in and say hello.

Had a good eating day yesterday. I was actually below my calorie limit, though. I had pizza on Sunday, so I am having to make up for it.

Didn't exercise. Have been working 10 to 11 hours a day at work and I just don't have the energy. Will hopefully get back on that horse over the weekend.

Hope everyone is doing well. Will check back later.

Christalynn
02-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Hello,

How is everyone?
I finally got Walk Away The Pounds. This particular one is for 3 miles. I haven't done more than two. I hope I can make it. Is there anything to do for stretch marks? They are appearing like crazy..that can be a good and bad thing :^:

corningkat
02-03-2005, 11:24 PM
hi singles! home again! my dr. said i have vertigo from a sinus infection. it's a very strange feeling. like when you just get off a amusement park ride.

christalynn - i have been doing the 2 mile tape. the next one in my series is 4 mile. i haven't gotten that far yet. i've had stretch marks as far back as i can remember. if you find an answer let me know. :lol:

shanberg - i burned myself out last year working 2 jobs. i was always too tired to take time for myself. i vowed not to do that this year. i told the 2nd job i would fill in once in a while. i loved working there (a little family mini mart). i wish i could work it full time with good pay.

well, my medicine makes me tired, so off to nap i go. have a good friday!
kathy

shanberg
02-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Morning all.

Hope everyone is well. Managed to do really good with my eating yesterday. Stayed well within my calorie range. Still too tired to exercise.

Kathy- working two jobs is always hard! I hate it that you are sick and having side effects! It's hard enough just having the symptoms without an added issue! Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Christalynn - Congrats on the walking. I use a treadmill. If I don't have that belt going under my feet, I zone out and find myself standing still!!! As for stretch marks, the only thing I can think of is the lotion used by pregnant women during the last stages of pregnancy (and, of course, I can't remember the name of it-I've never been pregnant!). You can probably find it in the Health isle at Wal-Mart or Kmart. You might have to ask someone!

Won't be checking back in until Monday. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Enjoy the superbowl and watch the chips and dips! ;)

SheriaVa
02-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Hello all! Sorry I haven't been around...I have had the flu and haven't been logging on very much. I also haven't been working out and I'm feeling very guilty about that! I have had dizzyness with the flu, so jumping around doing Tae-Bo would NOT be a very wise move, but I really could have done some abs or arm work today but I just didn't get motivated. :( Tomorrow is a MUST cuz I really try to never go more than 2 days w/o exercise!

Christine: I use Walk Away the Pounds quite a bit and have for over a year. I started out with a 3-DVD set (1-, 2- and 4-mile) which was apparently filmed back in the 80s (big hair and lots of spandex! hehe). It was a good place to start but I MUCH prefer the more modern DVDs I've picked up this past year...I have a 3-mile WATP with hand weights, a 3-mile WATP with stretchy band and a 4-mile WATP with no accoutrements. All three are very good but I prefer the 3-mile with stretchy band and the 4-mile. Those two have the same large group of walkers who are very enthusiastic and a lot of them are my age or closer to my age which is encouraging!

Kathy: I look forward to hearing how you like Dance Dance Revolution. I have heard great things about it! Have you received and tried out your rebounder yet? How does that work for ya? I can imagine you could do that while you're watching TV! I SO wish I had room for a treadmill or elliptical so I could work out while I watch TV cuz I am a terrible reality TV junkie! ;)

Shannon: Best of luck on reaching that 260 goal! YOU CAN DO IT!

Ms Sassi
02-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Hi All,

I'm glad I stumbled along this thread. I'm back on the wagon and looking towards losining approx. 40lbs. I lost 30 lbs a couple of years ago, gained it back and then some. :dz: Well, I joined a gym, got sick, and stopped going regularly. I am tired of making 'donations' to my gym and ready to do the dang thing. lol. :strong: I've tried finding support in the area, but my friends seem to fall through. I'm glad I found you guys. :)

Christalynn: I've found vitamin E and coco butter to be helpful. Just rub it on the marks, and the gradually go away. Drinking plenty of water also helps. The only thing is if they have been there for a long period of time, they will usually fade but won't go away. :(

corningkat
02-05-2005, 01:43 AM
hey singles! welcome ms. sassi! glad you can join us! i have given up on the donations to the gym too. i start full force and then with a big gust of wind the motivation goes right out the window. i'm going to be moving to a rural area and it will be too far to travel to the gym. so now i am acquiring stuff for my "home" gym. i've just had the basement refinished so i am dedicating a small area for exercising.

sheriva - i hope that you are feeling better soon. that flu thing is going around here too. since i am on antibiotics already, i am hoping to avoid it.
i did ge the rebounder this week. it is still in the package. i think i am going to save it for when i move because my ceilings are too low. not that i can't use a little sense knocked into me. :lol: i am going to try my ddr sometime tomorrow and i'll let you know how it goes. take care of yourself!

does anyone have any exciting superbowl plans?? this will be the 1st one i watch in a few years. i've been working the last few.
have a great weekend!
kathy

SheriaVa
02-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Welcome, Ms. Sassi! Glad to have you with us! We can all support one another in moving toward our goals. :)

Christalynn: AH! Ms. Sassi's post reminded me that I wanted to tell you that I think that the product Shannon mentioned (that pregnant women use for stretch marks) is called Mederma. I have seen it advertised on TV. It apparently is also good at reducing the appearance of scars.

I got back to exercise this morning with a 4-mile Walk Away the Pounds and did great! I tired out sooner than usual, but that is to be expected after not only being sick but also not exercising for 3 days! I feel GREAT having done my exercise for the day and am feeling SO much better today! :)

Christalynn
02-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Thanks. I'll check into it..Is it a prescription or over the counter?
I've planned a 1500 calorie day..I was hoping for only 1400 but hey, I'm new to this counting calories.
This is going to be a crazy week for me. I'm working 40 hours without a closing cashier + school and to top it off I've been told that the guy I have a small crush on is re-thinking his opinion about dating someone he works with :hyper: . I believe he is realizing that I'm not a teenager that will follow him around like a puppy at work. I have my own responsibilities. hmmm...Valentine's is around the corner :chin:

I gotta go..I'll check back later

SheriaVa
02-05-2005, 11:55 PM
Thanks. I'll check into it..Is it a prescription or over the counter?

I wasn't sure, but I just checked their website (Mederma (http://www.mederma.com/)) and it sounds like it's available over the counter--and pricey ($29 a tube! yikes!). There is a link on the left side that looks like you can find what stores in your area carry it.

tlcstar
02-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Hello All-

I'm new to these boards and was psyched to see this one! I'm 32 and a graduate student in Missouri (moved here from Boston in June)! I have been on the South Beach Diet since July and have been happy with the results. I've been kicking up the exercise thing lately to get over this plateau....I'm off to meet a friend to go swimming soon.
I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Peace-
Toni

Christalynn
02-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Welome Toni :) I know you will find a lot of support here.

Hello Everyone. I found this article and posted it on another thread and thought I would share it with you as well...enjoy

Change your perception of the word "diet". Your diet is what you eat and drink, not a rigid set of rules that eliminates the foods you like and forces you to eat the foods you dislike. Develop eating habits you can live with for the rest of your life.
Exercise regularly. Weight loss occurs when the calories we take in are less than the calories we expend. Exercise helps increase the calories we expend. 30-60 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity 4 or more days of the week is recommended.
Remember to include strength training activities in your exercise plan. Strength training increases muscle and muscle burns calories even when you are sitting still. Therefore, the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn. Strength training activities should be included 2-3 times per week. Don't strength train 2 days in a row, allow at least one day of rest in between.
Focus on behavior changes and not the scale. Each week set specific, measurable goals such as eating 2 servings of vegetables per day, measuring portion sizes, etc.
Keep food and activity records to help you assess your progress. Look them over daily and ask yourself "Have I met my goals?" If you haven't, ask yourself "why and what do I need to do to be successful?"
Reward yourself for changing behaviors with non-food motivators. When you meet your goals for changing behaviors, treat yourself to a movie, a massage or something else that you enjoy.
Remember portion sizes. Portion size is one of the most often overlooked pieces of information on nutrition labels. How much you eat is as important as what you eat.
Don't be afraid to throw food away. Is it any less waste to eat food that we don't need than it is to throw it away? That extra ½ cup of juice or cereal or the few extra chips may not seem like a lot at the moment, but over time these little "extras" can add up to a lot of calories.
One food indiscretion does not make or break your weight loss efforts. Simply refocus on your goals and make more thoughtful choices the next time you eat or drink something.
Eat mindfully. Mindfulness is "knowing what you are doing while you are doing it." Taking the time to be aware of what you are eating and enjoying the experience of eating can help us slow down and manage portion sizes more effectively.
Learn how to manage stress. Many of us often eat in response to stress and a successful weight loss plan also includes stress management techniques.
Drink 6-8 eight-ounce glasses of water each day. Try filling a pitcher with 64 ounces of water at the beginning of each day. Make it a goal to drink all of it before you go to bed.
Balance your plate. Only ¼ of your plate should be made up of meats, the other ¾ should consist of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and beans.
Learn new ways to cook and plan ahead. Try new recipes and don't be afraid to experiment with new products. Make a plan for handling difficult situations like eating out and family gatherings ahead of time. Being prepared will help you stay focused on your goals.

Now something on Water...

Water makes up 60% of body weight and is very important for proper functioning of the body. The bones are 22% water, blood is 92% water, and the brain is 75% water. We need water to cool the body, metabolize fat, remove waste from the body, and convert food to energy. Adequate hydration is also necessary for maintaining muscle tone and skin tone.

Most people should drink 8-10 cups of water daily, or 64-80 ounces. Drink water even when you are not thirsty. The body's thirst mechanism is not a reliable indicator of hydration status. By the time we feel thirsty, we may already be mildly dehydrated. When we exercise, we need even more water. It is important to drink water before, during, and after a workout. In general, the recommendation is 8-16 ounces of water before exercise and 5-10 ounces every 15-20 minutes during exercise. After exercise, drink water to quench your thirst, then drink even more. If you weigh yourself before and after your workout, drink 16 ounces of water for every pound of weight you lose after exercise. You can tell whether or not you are drinking enough water by monitoring your urine. Urination should be frequent and urine should be pale in color. Remember to drink extra water during hot, dry weather when our fluid needs are increased.

SheriaVa
02-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Welcome, Toni! Glad to have you with us.

Christalynn...thanks for sharing that. I agree with the tips on eating, exercise and water, and that's basically how I live. The word "diet" as in "going on a diet" was ejected from my vocabulary when I hit the age of 40. Now, I know that there is no way a temporary diet is going to work...and that I have to instead be work toward a permanent lifestyle change, which is what I've been doing. As frustrating as it has been to spend a lot of the last half of 2004 not losing weight, it was good "practice" for me at maintaining my existing weight loss even when I wasn't losing anymore.

tlcstar
02-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Great article...especially about the water!! Don't forget the extra perks of all the calories you burn from running to the bathroom in the course of drinking your 8-10 !!!!

:dance:

corningkat
02-07-2005, 12:06 PM
good morning singles! i hope all is going well for a monday. the weekend was nice and relaxing, although too short as usual. :lol: i didn't work my sat overtime because of that dizziness thing i have going on. i still think it was caused by medicine i was taking. it seems to be subsiding more and more every day now that the meds are getting out of my system.

i did try my dance dance revolution(ddr) game yesterday. that is sooo much fun!:jig: it's a great way to execise. i had to quit after a little while because my legs were getting sore. i was using muscles that were saying "we haven't been used in a long time". it's going to take some practice to get coordinated though.that's why mother didn't name me "Grace".

sheriva - glad to hear you are feeling better!

toni - welcome to our little piece of the world! glad to have you! :D did you have a hard time adapting to boston? i made a big move from CT to NY when i was in my early 20's.

christa - good article! thanks so much for sharing. it's always good to read something motivational.

well, i have a lot to do in 3 days. i am going to FL again on thursday for 10 days. i have to get my hair done tomorrow and get to packing. will check back asap.
kathy

tlcstar
02-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Hello All-

I'm from Boston so the adjustment to "Middle America" has been the hard part...especially considering that I've only ever lived in Boston and New York City! I do feel land-locked at times, but am getting more used to it. I think the move helped me to get more serious about dieting and getting into a healthier lifestyle...new state, new life...it's almost easier to adopt good habits (and leave the bad behind!) when you are starting over in all others areas too! My graduate program will take at least three years, so I will be here for awhile!

I hope everyone has a great day!

Toni

SheriaVa
02-08-2005, 09:16 AM
i did try my dance dance revolution(ddr) game yesterday. that is sooo much fun!:jig: it's a great way to execise. i had to quit after a little while because my legs were getting sore. i was using muscles that were saying "we haven't been used in a long time".

Sounds fun! Wonder if you'll be hurting today! hehe

i am going to FL again on thursday for 10 days.

We'll miss you! I can't remember (this is what happens when you get old LOL), were you able to have access to the board while there? Hope so. If not, you have a safe and wonderful trip!

To all: Don't remember if I have already recommended this, but if you're looking for a good workout on DVD that is also a great value, I highly recommend Tamilee Webb's "I Want That Body!" DVD. It has arms, abs, and buns workouts at two skill levels each, which makes 6 workouts on one DVD for about $14. I can get through both beginning and advanced arms with no trouble, but advanced abs is more of a challenge. Don't think I've tried advanced buns. Even the beginning buns one has so many lunges that my poor 52-yo knees have trouble enough getting through that one! Great workout though!

corningkat
02-09-2005, 12:01 PM
hi singles! doing laundry and stuff so i can pack today. yuck!

sheriva - surprisingly i wasn't sore the next day. i must have stopped at the right moment. my mom does have a computer so i will be checking in. maybe not so much over the weekend because that is when we are having services for my dad and a lot of family will be there to visit with. but next week i'll probably be bored out of my skin. i'm hoping it's warm enough to work on my tan.

toni - funny you mention the landlocked thing. i constantly say that is what i miss most about CT. i really miss the ocean. i live in the finger lakes area but it is not the same. but we do have lots of wineries here!:dance:

have a good week and i will check back as soon as i can!
kathy

Ms Sassi
02-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Welcome Toni! Hi everyone!

I wanted to check in to see how everyone is doing and let you know about a good book I found. It's called 'The Complete Book of Abs for Women' by Kurt Brungardt. I found it at the library and the exercises and plans that he lays out are so good I am going to order a copy this weekend. I really like it because it gives several alternatives to the crunch and has almost 100 ab exercises. Something to strive for. :) I know I won't be able to do them all right away, but I will eventually. :wave:

tlcstar
02-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Hello All-

Sassi...The Ab book sounds interesting. Keep us updated on how it works. I have been looking for ways to "target" those areas. It seems like all the weight loss I've had has occurred in my chest/back/shoulders/limbs (I credit this to swimming), but little has been from my midsection. I have even started taking belly dancing classes to help....I know it's impossible to choose where you loose (or gain for that matter), but there must be ways to "encourage" the fat to leave certain areas over others!! Have others had similiar issues?? :?:

Hope everyone has a great day!
Toni

SheriaVa
02-10-2005, 08:57 AM
I know it's impossible to choose where you loose (or gain for that matter), but there must be ways to "encourage" the fat to leave certain areas over others!! Have others had similiar issues?? :?:

Sure, I think most of us have these issues at one point or another! What has helped me a lot with my midsection is the Tamilee Webb "I Want That Body!" DVD I mentioned the other day--specifically the abs workout. Tae-bo is also helping with my midsection because he works that area a lot in Tae-bo!

I had such a smile on my face yesterday morning when, for the first time, I was able to do 100% of the ab workout the way it's intended to be done. When I started doing this workout last summer, I couldn't even come close to finishing it...I would have to "sit out" several reps of each exercise to rest because my abs would be screaming. Then, I got stronger and I could do all but one of the reps of each exercise except that I modified the hardest one to make it easier (and easier on my back). Yesterday was the first time, I did the hardest exercise the way it's supposed to be done and got through it. That was such an achievement! The thing I love about Tami's workouts is that I have been able to see visible results pretty quickly in all three areas (arms, abs and buns/thighs).

Christalynn
02-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Hiya,

How is everyone doing?
I bought a scale tonight and its the best. It calculates my bmi and has a memory of my height, age and that I'm a female. It weighs me the same as WW.
My mom said that if I stay with WW she will pay the weekly fee. I just purchased a good supply of shakes and bars...so I will combine the two. SF will cost me 14 points and that leaves me with 12 points for the rest of the day. That is good considering that I don't eat after 7pm and struggle with getting in all my points anyway. Do you get any free days or is that just with the pre payment plan? I missed this past Monday and didn't know if I have to pay for two weeks this Monday.

Ms Sassi
02-13-2005, 12:09 AM
tlc: I haven't been able to make it go away in a specific area earlier. What I have found is that I usually end up toning up my legs first, then arms, and finally my stomach. But I believe that's because of my body type. I do suggest getting in a good aerobic workout and weight training in the area you want to focus on. That way, you are building muscle which will help to burn even more fat in that area.

I'll definitely keep you guys updated on how it works out for me w/the abs book.
Good news, I started back at the gym this morning to do an abs workout and aerobic class (which was cancelled. :shrug: ) and ended up working out on my own. Though I was looking forward to getting help with doing a crunch the right way (because I don't know what the heck I end up doing on my own... lol My shoulders barely come off of the ground. It's so pitiful :sp: )
Anywho, I did 10 min warm up on the elliptical and didn't get dizzy!!! That's a real accomplishment for me since I got nauseous the first few times. I just worked through it and I actually enjoyed it. I then did a little bit of weights and got back on the elliptical for 30 mins as my cardio. I ended up burning 500 cals! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about!!!! :dance: LOL

The elliptical is now my machine of choice for aerobic activity unless I plan on running. I also got on the scale and I think it's broke. :chin: According to the scale, I've lost 13lbs??? :yikes: I know I walked a couple of days at lunch time this week and went to the gym today but goodness... that was a true shock since I haven't been in true work out mode in atleast 3 weeks. Well, needless to say, I am happy. My jeans are a little looser (mainly in the leg sections lol) and I am motivated. :sunny:

Ms Sassi
02-13-2005, 12:24 AM
I forgot to mention my goal for the upcoming week.
Go to the gym at least 3 days, and continue to walk 3 days this week at lunch time. I'll let you know how it goes. By the way, does anyone know how I can get the scale thingamajig to appear at the bottom of my msgs?

SheriaVa
02-13-2005, 10:25 AM
By the way, does anyone know how I can get the scale thingamajig to appear at the bottom of my msgs?

I think if you click on the "User CP" link up above at the far left side of that blue bar and then, once there, click on Edit signature, you will see a link that will take you to a place where you can choose from various versions of the countdown scale. Because I lose weight sooooo very slowly and have been plateauing for much of the past 6 months, I haven't bothered with it, but if I can get myself back to losing as is my goal in 2005, I'll be looking into one myself!

SheriaVa
02-13-2005, 10:30 AM
The elliptical is now my machine of choice for aerobic activity unless I plan on running.

I have tried most of the cardio machines at my gym and the elliptical definitely gives you the most calorie burning of any I have tried. Good going!

According to the scale, I've lost 13lbs??? :yikes:

WOOHOO! You go girl! That's awesome! Keep it up.

For the record, for anyone who may not already know it, weight training is REALLY important for weight loss cuz muscle burns fat! So the more muscle mass you have, the higher your metabolism and the better you can burn off the fat. Hooya! :D

SheriaVa
02-13-2005, 10:34 AM
Hiya,
My mom said that if I stay with WW she will pay the weekly fee.

Yay! That's great, Christina! That should give you motivation to stick with it.

SF will cost me 14 points and that leaves me with 12 points for the rest of the day.

I hate to be dingy here, but what's SF? Maybe it's a WW thing and I'm not very familiar with WW products.

Is that the dude who plays Charlie on Lost that you have as your avatar? He looks so cute in that pic! I love Lost! :)

Christalynn
02-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Sheriva- Yes, that is the guy that plays charlie :love: Unfortunatley I always work when Lost is on so I can only hear about it from someone who has watched it.
SF is Slim Fast and not related to Weight Watchers but by doing both I can stay safe on WW and still use all my SF products.

tlcstar
02-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Hello All-

Thanks for the exercise advice! Sassi congrats. on your exercise/weight loss accomplishments....I too have recently learned to "love" the eliptical, after the first 10 minutes or so, its easy to get into a zone and before you know it you've done at least 30 min.!

I am a big Lost fan also. I've had belly dancing class the last few weeks but have been taping it...the website gives pretty good descriptives of each episode (google "lost") if you want to keep updated. There are also tons of message boards with everybody giving their opinions about what is really going on. From your picture it looks like Charlie cleans up real well!!

I hope everyone has a great Valentine's Day (or anti-Valentine's Day, whichever you prefer!!) :encore:

Peace-
Toni

corningkat
02-14-2005, 10:54 PM
hi singles! this is the 1st chance i've had to check in. sat i had my dad's services and relatives visiting all weekend. today my mom and i had to get some paperwork changed. i get the rest of the week to relax by the pool i hope. the weather is suppose to be nice. i don't miss the snow at all. i guess maybe in a few years i might consider moving here. my mom says as she got older she liked the cold less and less.

i'm glad to hear everyone is doing so great on their exercise. i have been walking and it feels soooo good to be moving again. i didn't realize how much i've missed exercising with all my injuries going on. i'm definitely staying on the exercise track and with all the motivation from here i should have no problem.

well, have a good tuesday and i will try to check in again soon!
kathy

SheriaVa
02-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Good to hear from you, Kathy! I'm sorry that you're there for such a sad occasion but happy that you are getting away from the winter weather. It was so crappy here in DC yesterday...started out as the dreaded "wintry mix" in the morning and then was raining ALL day long but just above freezing. YUCK! I was out in it doing errands and going to the gym and I just wanted to go home and wrap up in a blankie! hehe

Take care and try to get some R&R while you're there.

Christalynn
02-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Hi Gang,
How is everyone doing?
I am so glad that V-Day is over. I worked all weekend in a grocery store that was covered with flowers and balloons. My moms cancer test went well. Doc said there are no traces of cancer cells and the side effects will eventually work themselves out of their system.

I am so excited..I bought a nre pair of jeans today that is 2 sizes smaller..WooHoo!
It felt so good trying on pants that are too big.
I think there needs to be some kind of hand me down system with clothes and I don't mean Thrift Stores...like if someone can't afford to by clothes while losing weight they can just get the size they need from a clothes bank...ok, maybe I'm being silly but that could be just what people need.

I'll check back later

SheriaVa
02-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Hi Gang,
My moms cancer test went well. Doc said there are no traces of cancer cells and the side effects will eventually work themselves out of their system.

Awesome! So glad to hear the good news.

I am so excited..I bought a nre pair of jeans today that is 2 sizes smaller..WooHoo!

Congrats! Doesn't that feel fantastic? :)

like if someone can't afford to by clothes while losing weight they can just get the size they need from a clothes bank...ok, maybe I'm being silly but that could be just what people need.

You're not being silly at all! In fact, that's kinda what I've been doing with a member of another board I'm on. She and her family are living pretty tight on funds and she's about the size now that I was before I lost weight so, as I clean out my drawers and closet of clothes that are now way too big for me, I box them up and send them to her. She benefits by getting clothes that she needs for no cost and I benefit by being able to help her! I MUCH prefer to know that my clothes are going to someone I know rather than just hanging in some thrift store and being bought by a stranger.

chica8
02-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi All,

Remember me? I posted a couple of times on the last thread. I am still on WW that is going ok but what I am proud of is that I actually went to the gym! Working out is the biggest issue with me so I forced myself to go to the gym and I actually enjoyed it. That might be due to me changing what gym I attend. Wow, what a difference 5 miles can make!

I haven't posted because I was getting these horrible headaches which turned out to be tension headaches from straining my eyes, so I now have to pace myself :lol:

SheriaVa
02-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Good to see you again, Chica. Congrats on getting back to the gym! That's a toughie, I know! I work out 5 X week at home but I just went back to the gym on Monday for the first time in ages and whew, it was tiring. I tend to work out much harder (and longer) at the gym than I do at home...which is why I really need to get back to going regularly so I can get this weight loss going again!!!!!!

Ms Sassi
02-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Hi all,

Christsalyn: Congrats on your progress! :)
Chica: You are definitely making progress since going to the gym is the hardest part for most people. Keep up the good work. :^:

corningkat
02-18-2005, 02:57 PM
hi singles! last day in relaxing and then it's back to reality. yuck!!!

sheriva - i did relax all week. spent time at the pool, caught up on some reading, etc.. it was nice while it lasted. today i am doing laundry and getting packed. after i post this i will go outside for a while to get the last rays of warmth to carry me over till summer time. :) i also walked every evening and i plan to keep up some kind or routine when i get back. i am finally free of appointments and have plenty of free time so there are no excuses!!!!

christalynn - congrats on the downsizing.:bravo: i have seen (can't remember which website) a clothes swap forum. it is a good idea. i couldn't do it because i work with chemical and they ruin my clothes. i have lots of holes. that's why i but cheap stuff.

chica - welcome back! i hope your headaches go away.

well, i'm off to pack. talk at ya soon!
kathy

SheriaVa
02-18-2005, 03:23 PM
sheriva - i did relax all week. spent time at the pool, caught up on some reading, etc.
i also walked every evening and i plan to keep up some kind or routine when i get back.

WOOHOO to both of these things! Great idea to keep up a routine when you get back after such a great start while in Florida! Have a safe trip home...sorry you have to come back to winter! :p

SheriaVa
02-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Another weight loss/healthy eating board I'm on has daily homework that is posted by the board owner or members. The homework for today I thought might be fun to do here because it would help us get to know one another a little more as well as help us think about things ourselves. I'll post the homework and then post my answers. Please follow suit with your answers if you choose to participate. (Credit to Dawn for these questions.)

1. What's for dinner tonight?

2. What is your prefered exercise?

3. What exercise do you actually do?

4. What is your favorite food?

If it isn't inherently "healthy" Do you have a slimmed down version of it?

5. What food do you really hate?

6. What is a food you don't really like, but know you should eat?

7. What is one food you could "NEVER" give up?

8. What is a food you do like, but if you were told you could never eat it again, you wouldn't be that upset?

9. Would you consider taking a "Healthy" vacation? For example a health food/exercise cruise, a very exercise intense focused trip (riding your bike hundreds of miles while camping along the way, a major hiking trek...)?

10. What is one name brand food product you couldn't live without?

SheriaVa
02-18-2005, 03:43 PM

I usually have some idea but, tonight, I dunno. I haven't done a good job this week on planning for my light worknight dinners (I eat my main meal for lunch and then dinner is really more of a snack/light meal because of how late I get home from work and how early I go to bed--though on Friday nights, I don't have to go to bed so early cuz I don't work the next day).

Probably my favorite exercise is a long powerwalk outside on a beautiful spring or fall day (warm enough to be comfortable outside for over an hour but cool enough not to get overheated).

I work out 5 times a week, which usually translates into 3 days of cardio and 2 days of toning and/or weight training. Within that framework, I do:
a. At least one Walk Away the Pounds workout but no more than two (4 mile express is my favorite, but I usually choose 3-mile for weekday mornings cuz its shorter).
b. At least one other cardio workout on tape (two if I don't go to the gym or walk outside). I was really psyched about the Tae-Bo Cardio workout in the beginning but, because I work out at 5 a.m., I find it harder and harder to face that energetic and difficult a workout at that hour. I also rent a lot of workouts from Netflix. This week, 10-Minute Solution Carb Buster.
c. Tamilee Webb's ab and arm workouts once a week each.
d. The 10-Minute Solution ballet workout once a week.
e. When I go to the gym, I use the recumbent bike, elliptical, treadmill and weight machines.

4. What is your favorite food? If it isn't inherently "healthy" Do you have a slimmed down version of it?

I don't think I have one favorite food. Pizza ranks pretty high up there, but then so do a lot of things. In the first year of my journey, I gave up real pizza entirely and made my own healthy-topping mini-pizzas at home but I was using a store-bought white flour crust and that started to be a problem (because of how I metabolize white flour). In the past 2 months, I've gone back to real pizza but I order it plain and then add my own toppings and I portion control what I eat for that night and freeze the rest.

I'm a picky eater, so there are a lot of these. I find most seafood pretty disgusting, esp. crabs. The smell of morel mushrooms sauteing would make me run for the hills when I was a kid (my dad picked them wild by the trashbag full). Liver. Asparagus.

I finally got myself to eat yogurt last year...even at it regularly several times a week. But then I got really burned out on it. I can't eat it if it isn't sweetened but yet I hate sweet stuff in the morning and I was trying to eat it for breakfast.

Wow, that's hard. Based on what I crave when I want fatty food, I guess I'd have to say high-quality burger & fries or pizza. And chocolate for sure.

8. What is a food you do like, but if you were told you could never eat it again, you wouldn't be that upset?

I was a huge fried chicken fan 2 years ago. When I started eating healthy in July 2003, I stopped going to KFC. I have only been back once in almost 2 years. It AMAZED me how little it bothered me to give it up.

9. Would you consider taking a "Healthy" vacation?

Absolutely would love a spa vacation or a healthy cruise type of thing. A super exercise-intensive vacation...like the biking hundreds of miles thing or an intensive boot camp thing...nah, I wouldn't enjoy that. Wouldn't mind exercising on vacation (I often do) but super intensive exercise wouldn't be a vacation to me. :)

Wow, another tough one. Geez. I really can't think of one. And I tend to be quite a brand-loyal shopper. But I eat so much fresh food now that I just buy a lot less store-bought brand name items.

chica8
02-19-2005, 08:56 PM
HAHAHA, I just went to the fridge to make dinner and I found the ground beef I planned to use has gone bad!! So, now I have no clue what to eat, plus I can't cook so that totally limits what I can make!

2. What is your preferred exercise?
Umm, I like the treadmill and the bike now. I am starting to use the weight machines at the gym but most still confuse me. I like taking classes like mat pilates and yoga (hey, I live in LA). I actually like the feeling after you workout when your sore, sick isn't it! I wish I had someone to workout with it would make the whole thing more enjoyable.

Treadmill, bike, and weight machines. The Precore is my enemy!

Wow, it's like asking a parent which is your favorite child! I like seafood (sorry SheriaVa), pasta, rice & soda (that's a running joke with my friends), garlic chicken or shrimp, tiramisu, cheese, Italian, Japanese, Thai...I could go on forever!

If it isn't inherently "healthy" Do you have a slimmed down version of it?
Um, instead of eating white rice I chose brown rice, I haven't eaten pasta since going WW. I know drink diet coke which is was such a big deal for an avid cola lover like me!!The foods I really like I usually eat when dinning out and I have really cut back on that.

I don't like spicy food, anything that is soo spicy you could be eating the tablecloth but wouldn't know it. I hate olives, honeydew melons, pesto does that count?

Milk. I hate milk!!! I try to drink the low or non fat milk but I have started taking calcium vitamins instead.

Rice or good burgers.

Soda

9. Would you consider taking a "Healthy" vacation? For example a health food/exercise cruise, a very exercise intense focused trip (riding your bike hundreds of miles while camping along the way, a major hiking trek...)?
YES

Don't have one.

tlcstar
02-20-2005, 12:00 PM
I think I am making up a crockpot full of chicken mole (mexican), I like to cook in "bulk" on the weekends so that I have healthy choices readily available once the week starts and gets inevitably busy.

Lately it has been swimming and water aerobics....and belly dancing! Anyway that I can disguise excercise (home repair, yardwork, out dancing) works for me too!

I've actually been doing a lot of the above plus arm weights in the morning.

I would say my top favorites would be Thai and Indian food...they are my top choices for going out.

5. If it isn't inherently "healthy" Do you have a slimmed down version of it?
I have made some healthier stir-fries and curries that have come somewhat close...but still not as good as the real thing.

SEAFOOD...all kinds, kind of sad that I was born in Boston and can't take advantage of it....I keep trying at different times, but can't get past the taste/texture.

Fish again, I take fish oil capsules to make up for it.....I'm also anemic and should eat more red meat, but I much prefer chicken.

Cheese....I love all kinds, feta, goat, swiss, american...it's the perfect food! Oh and coffee, my coffee maker broke the other morning and I was seriously showing signs of withdrawel...sad but true! :coffee:

Apparantly sugar and white flour....I've mostly given it up and don't seem to miss it all that much!

Definetely...it's all about "disguising the excercise", when you do something in the context of fun you usually have more endurance and benefits without realizing it. I love snorkeling, kayaking, hiking....any of these would be a great vacation.

10. What is one name brand food product you couldn't
Diet Dr. Pepper.....

corningkat
02-22-2005, 12:58 AM
hi singles! i made it home safe. i didn't get a chance to post sooner because i was unpacking,etc.... went to work tonite and supervisor asked why i didn't come in at 7am today. i had gotten a day job and nobody had told me what day i was starting. each supervisor thought the other had called me. now i have to go in tomorrow at 7 after working till 11pm tonite. i am going to be one tired puppy. i had specifically told 3 different supervisors the phone # where i could be reached in florida to avoid this problem. if i had known, i would have worked on changing my sleep schedule last week. can you tell they aggravated me....:stress: thanks for letting me vent. :)

does anyone buy "Self" magazine?? i signed up for their yearly "self challenge".
i was wondering if anyone wanted to join with me. it is a 3 month challenge that you can start within the next few weeks. each month they give you 3 challenges to get you into a healthy routine. 2 are exercise challenges and 1 is a food challenge. you can also go to self.com to sign up and learn more.
anyone up for it??? just thought i'd ask.

have a good tuesday!!!
kathy

corningkat
02-22-2005, 06:08 PM
hi singles! i made it thru my first day on 1st shift. not too bad on 4 hours
sleep. i have to set up a whole new schedule for myself. one good thing is i didn't eat much. they are really strict about break times on this shift so i only brought fruit for my short breaks and a tuna sandwich w/carrots on the side for lunch. tonite will be the 1st time in a few years i will make a normal dinner and eat it while it's hot.

well, i'm off to do my cardio challenge.
have a great wedneday!
kathy

SheriaVa
02-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Hey kids! I've been out of town for the long weekend visiting my best friends in Delaware and just returned today. Hope you're all doing well!

corningkat
02-23-2005, 07:07 PM
hi singles! welcome back sheriva! i hope you had a good time visiting your friends. it's been kind of quiet here the last few days.

not much exciting here either really. i don't know what to do with myself at nite now. i just finished some cleaning. i'm going to try to clean a room per nite to get things caught up. i guess it would be early spring cleaning. i'm too pooped from work to exercise tonite. i'm not used to being on my feet a whole 8 hours.

well, i hope everyone has a good thursday!
kathy

chica8
02-23-2005, 08:50 PM
hey kat, I'll check out the self mag. website.

I haven't been up to anything either. I am still trying to stick with the WW thing. I worked out on Monday and Tuesday. But I am not counting Tues, I didn't do much at the gym it was not my day!

SheriaVa
02-24-2005, 09:31 AM
I did great on exercising while I was out of town staying at my friends' house, but I have done AWFUL since my return. Tuesday I planned as an off day from exercise because I knew I would be driving directly from Delaware back to Virginia for a work luncheon then straight from there to grocery shopping and straight from there to cooking and packaging my lunches for work. But then, on Wednesday morning, while I did set the workout alarm, I blew it off and went back to sleep. I stayed up an hour later last night to watch the season finale of Project Runway and, as a result, ended up blowing off my workout alarm AGAIN this morning. I'm disgusted with myself but I am trying to remember that this is a VERY VERY rare occurrence for me and that I did do great while in Rehoboth (I only did 15 minutes of abs one day but did an hour of Walk Away the Pounds the next and did lots of walking while there).

SheriaVa
02-27-2005, 09:47 AM
Hellooo? (hello...hello...hello)

I've been waiting to post until after someone else posted but it's been a long, quiet few days with no posts, so I thought I'd bump this up and see if we can snag another newbie. :)

Hope you all are doing well. I have been pretty down this week in regard to my weight. I had been so happy about my weight the week before (I had actually lost a little bit of weight) but then I gained weight over the long weekend in Rehoboth...not from lack of exercise or from the meals I ate...but purely from sugar. I discovered semisweet chocolate truffles at the chocolate shop where I went to buy cocoa (I ran out a few weeks ago and love their brand) and I had THREE huge truffles over the course of the weekend. If that wasn't bad enough, one of my friends' roommates made these ooey, gooey cookie bars with coconut, nuts, chocolate chips and a graham cracker crust that I found delectable and unavoidable. He put 4 of them in my bag the morning I was heading home and, instead of throwing them away, I ate all 4 of them within 24 hours. As in control as I can be about SO many things, I still find myself out of control (or close to it) with a lot of sweets. Because I live alone, I can just not bring them in the house and so I can get by. But, going to other peoples' houses, it is a nightmare of self control. When my friends see me eating these things, I feel like I have failed them, because they seem to look to me as a role model of healthy eating and self control. Or maybe that is just my disappointment in myself that I am projecting onto them. Either way, I have been feeling pretty crappy. I am a control freak and that includes self control. So when I'm not able to control myself around a food, it makes me feel weak and awful.

I will survive, of course. It's just hard to have such a rock bottom experience after a week when I was finally seeing some positive change.

corningkat
02-27-2005, 09:33 PM
hi singles! it's been a busy weekend. i had to work all of it. when i was on my way out to my car from my full time job on friday, my old part time job called me because they were in a pinch so i worked there friday nite, then i worked both sat and sun at the full time job. they are in desperate mode there. first, it's the end of the month which is always a run for the money, plus we are very behind in our orders. i haven't been offered a sunday in years. i guess it's will be getting offered a bit now. i get double time for that. i'll be appreciating that paycheck this week, because i didn't get paid for my last trip to florida. so needless to say i'm pooped. i just woke up from a 2hour nap in time to catch some of the "oscars".

sheriva- this past week had been a nightmare for me too. i haven't had the energy to exercise at all. i had switched to a day job and my sleep schedule is screwed up and the job i switched to is very physical. i'm sooo tired when i get home. i think i will do better when i get adjusted to working days. we will both survive and move on to accomplich our goals.

i hope we both (and everyone else) have a better week! :)
kathy

Ms Sassi
02-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Hi Everyone,

It's been awhile but I am finally back. Things have been pretty good for me. At least for the most part. I found out that the weight I thought I had lost wasn't accurate. Since it was such a large amount of weight the gym's scale reading said I lost, I decided to weigh myself at home. Needless to say there was a BIG difference. It turns out that I had actually lost 6lbs since my home scale is the one I calculated the Dec reading on. :( Not as well as much loss as the gym's, but when I thought about it it was still pretty good progress. Especially when considering that up to that point my exercise routine had been sporadic at best.

Since then, I have lost an additional 6 lbs for a total of 12lbs. :cp: That I am pleased about. I have NOT reached my goal of 5 days a week yet. Heck, I haven't even been exercising 3 days per week. :?: But I have gotten up to 2 days and have been pretty consistent for 3 weeks now. I will be shooting for 3 days this week and let you guys know how it goes.

SheriaVa and Corning Kat:

I also haven't been eating as I should. I'be had icecream a couple times this weekend, one of my tea concoctions, pizza hut, pepsi :nono: (a DEFINITE no no for me considering I was a pepsi addict... I'm talkin a 2-liter a day :fr: ) and stuffed flounder with garlic mashed potatoes... a FEW times last week. not once, not twice, but a FEW!!! Now you KNOW I ain't right... lol. So, seeing as though I was the worst out of the three of us, you guys are doing an outstanding job considering my binge week. Seriously ladies, we have to keep in mind that we are works in progress. Every week will not be ideal, we will have our ups and downs. The thing is that we realize our mistakes and make adjustments and improvements. I am proud of the two of you for two reasons. You have made life style adjustments and have done well with your diet/exercise routines. And you encourage me to keep going. We aren't perfect, but we are working towards our goals and that is key.

Ok.. I've strained your eyes enough and will close out by saying keep up the good work and don't sweat the small stuff. :bravo:

Ms Sassi
02-27-2005, 11:21 PM
I forgot to ask, has anyone tried Diet Power or Fit Day? If so, let me know what you think of the software and which you think is the better of the two. I'm going to purchase one of them and am undecided. Thanks guys. :)

SheriaVa
02-27-2005, 11:32 PM
Seriously ladies, we have to keep in mind that we are works in progress. Every week will not be ideal, we will have our ups and downs. The thing is that we realize our mistakes and make adjustments and improvements. I am proud of the two of you for two reasons. You have made life style adjustments and have done well with your diet/exercise routines. And you encourage me to keep going. We aren't perfect, but we are working towards our goals and that is key.

Thank you for that, Ms. Sassi! It's a wonderful reminder that all we can do is keep moving forward one step at a time! I have improved SO much in my thought process in regard to food guilt over the past 2 years. In years past, I would have beat myself up so badly and THEN continued to eat badly, which would only intensify and continue the shame spiral. Now, I give myself permission to feel bad about my behavior, but I don't obsess and torture myself about it over and over...and, more importantly, I go right back to healthy eating after a fall off the wagon.

And congratulations on your weight loss! That's fantastic!

Kathy...sorry to hear you have been working so hard but, as you say, that paycheck will sure be nice! Please take care of yourself...get some rest!

SheriaVa
02-27-2005, 11:35 PM
I forgot to ask, has anyone tried Diet Power or Fit Day? If so, let me know what you think of the software and which you think is the better of the two. I'm going to purchase one of them and am undecided. Thanks guys. :)

I have used the free website www.fitday.com for almost two years and think VERY highly of it, but I have never used the for-purchase software program. It seems to me that one of the ladies on my other board did buy it. If I can find out anything more, I'll let ya know. I haven't heard of Diet Power at all, so I can't help you there.

Ms Sassi
02-27-2005, 11:57 PM
I signed up for the Self fitness challenge Kat and am onboard. I plan on starting the workouts this week and will let you all know how it goes. I'm thinking about focusing on the cardio workout and replacing some of the strength training with machine exercises from a book I am using. What do you guys think?

Ms Sassi
02-28-2005, 12:01 AM
No problem at all. Believe me, I can DEFINITELY relate to your feelings. Thanks for the feedback on FitDay. The thing that worries me about the free version is they mentioned that they use our info for 3rd party solicitation. Have you had any problems with that or received a lot of junk mail or spam or pop-ups?

SheriaVa
02-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback on FitDay. The thing that worries me about the free version is they mentioned that they use our info for 3rd party solicitation. Have you had any problems with that or received a lot of junk mail or spam or pop-ups?

Hmm. No, I haven't. I don't ever get popups on that site. As for spam, I don't recall ever giving them my email address but, if I did, chances are I would have given them the email address I use for all healthy-living-related stuff on the web and I almost never get spam on that address. And I know LOADS of people who use fitday and I've never heard a complaint about anything along those lines.

Ms Sassi
02-28-2005, 03:36 PM
ok. That's good to hear. Does the online version have the same features as the paid one? I know I am asking a lot of questions and all. :)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-retro2/slider-but2/lb/184/145/172/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

corningkat
03-01-2005, 07:36 PM
hello singles ladies!! glad to see some chat going on. does anyone have any ideas on how to make my feet not ache so much?? a massage would be nice but i can't reach. :lol: i can't win for losing. i know if i get some of the weight off, my feet won't hurt as much. on the other hand my feet hurt so much right now it hurts to get up. :dizzy: i have to wear steel toe shoes all day and there's just no comfortable way about those. i have some gel insoles but they don't seem to help much. any ideas??

ms. sassi - thanks for joining the challenge. it will be extra motivating to know someone else is doing it with me. so far i've only gotten one strength training session in this week. the answer to your question...i don't think it really matters what exercises you do as long as you do them . the earlier challenges weren't as specific as this one. congrats on that 12 lbs gone forever!! :applause:

sheriva - is your week going better this week?? mine is about the same. i think i will feel better when spring comes. i felt good all the time when i was in florida. getting buried in snow doesn't help either. :lol:

well, have a good wednesday!!!
kathy

Ms Sassi
03-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Thanks Kat. :) To help soothe your feet, you can try soaking them in some warm/hot water with epsom salt. Epsom salt is really good for releaving pain. :) I hope you feel better. :)

Ms Sassi
03-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Hi Ladies,

I forgot to share earlier. So I'm back to share. :) I have been reading some fitness books and learned a few things that I would like to share. A couple of them stated that doing a workout in the following order is best.

Warm Up 5-15mins
Strength Training
Aerobic Activity 20-40 mins

The thing I love about this plan is that it cuts down on the necessary cardio time since your calories that have been taken in for the day are burnt by the time you get to the cardio, and then you are burning only fat by the time it comes for the that part. My books explained it better, :^: but it made since when I read through it. Plus, it's not just a single source that recommends this, there were several. It's been working out well for me. :D This week, I will also through another step in and do abs right after my warm-up so that I will be sure to get it in. That's the WORST part for me. Oh yeah... I forgot to mention that I did 5 double crunches on the machine on Sat. It was tooooo funny, I went to everyone in the ab section and announced my accomplishment. LOL!!! I was so happy since I have had such a hard time doing sit ups and crunches. It may not sound like much to most, but it was enough to inspire me. :jig:

As for Ab work, I also learned that it's not about the quantity but the quality of abs exercises. Plus, we only need to do them 2-3 days per week. Well, I hope this helps and you all are having a good week. :wave:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-retro2/slider-but2/lb/184/145/172/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

corningkat
03-03-2005, 10:05 PM
hey singles!! how is every little thing?? getting a little better adjusted this week with the 1st shift thing. the sleep thing anyways. i am doing a lot of lifting (up to 50 lbs) regularly thru the shift. i consider that strength training because i can definitely feel it.:barbell: saturday i have my yearly bowling tourney to raise money for jr. achievement. it might not be aerobic but at least i won't be sitting home on my butt. tomorrow nite i have to do a massive house cleaning because the realtor is showing it saturday morning. she's putting a real push on it because her contract runs out soon.

well, i guess that's enough of yacking about my boring stuff. have a good friday!! :)
kathy

p.s. i did my ddr game last nite for a bit too.

SheriaVa
03-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Hey all!

I'm back on track with exercise this week. I only exercised 3 days last week, which is as low as I ever go unless I'm sick. This week, I have exercised Monday (cardio), Tuesday (cardio), Thursday (abs), and Friday (balance ball upper/lower body + abs) thus far. I plan to do cardio and weight training tomorrow (Saturday) and probably take off Sunday. I shoot for 5 days a week and I make that most weeks. I exercised 6 days a week for much of last year, but I started burning out on it and feeling resentful. Once I stepped back to 5 X week, I felt much better about it. I think that's a good fit for me.

I gained weight while in Delaware due to the sweet attack so I am working to get that off (I lose weight soooo sloooowly--bleh).

Hope you all have a great weekend!

corningkat
03-06-2005, 07:53 PM
hi singles! hope everyone had a good weekend! back to the grind tomorrow. ugh!!!

sheriva - good job on exercising this week! keep up the good work!

is anyone going to watch that movie tonite produced by oprah?"Their eyes were watching God"...sounds like a good one. it is a 2 parter just so you know.

have a good monday!
kathy

SheriaVa
03-06-2005, 09:37 PM
I am thinking about watching that movie, Kathy, since there is no Desperate Housewives on because of it and nothing much to watch either. :(

I hear that "ugh!" about going back to the grind tomorrow. I usually go on a spring vacation to the islands every year with friends and they've decided they don't want to go this year for various reasons. So my next trip will be to Florida in early June for a family vacation. I started realizing this week at work that there's no way I'm making it to June without a vacation...esp. considering that the June trip with my family won't really BE a vacation (if past history dictates LOL). Friends from Delaware called this a.m. and invited me for Easter so I'm thinking of making a trip of it instead of just a weekend this time. We'll see how warm it gets by then. If it's warm enough to be outside by that time, I'll take a few days off work and spend part of the time in a hotel on the beach and part of the time staying with my friends. If not, I'll wait and take a few days off in April and do the same thing.

corningkat
03-08-2005, 08:09 PM
hi singles! how is every little thing today?? well, i hope. yesterday it was 50 degrees outside, today it is like 10 with below 0 wind chills. what happened?
:( i am soooo tired of winter weather. i want warmth and to start walking outdoors again.

a while back i ordered leslie sansone's videos. i only have done the one till yesterday. the one i was doing was "walk strong" with toning intervals in it. then i decided to try some of the 4 mile xpress one. that is all cardio and you can stop at whatever mileage you want. i liked that one, it really worked up a good sweat. i only did 1.5 miles because i had already done the other tape.
i think i'm gonna stick to the cardio one for a while. i'm doing enough toning at work.

sheriva - i would like a nice warm vacation myself. like retirement would be good!! :lol: :lol:

have a good wednesday!
kathy

SheriaVa
03-09-2005, 10:04 AM
:( i am soooo tired of winter weather. i want warmth and to start walking outdoors again.

We had a lot of weather weirdness too. It was 60-70 degrees on Monday--I went out for a powerwalk/jog in short sleeves! Tuesday morning, when I got up to exercise at 5:15 a.m., I heard this weird sound outside and thought "That sounds like rain." Looked outside, and it was POURING rain. About an hour after I got to work, it turned to snow. People in my office who get in around 10 a.m. said that it was a total white-out...you could see the car in front of you and the car beside you and that's IT...almost zero visibility. Fortunately, because it was SO warm Monday, the snow didn't start sticking to the road right away. By 3-4 p.m., the snow was gone, the sun was shining, and you could barely tell it had snowed! WEIRD!!

the one i was doing was "walk strong" with toning intervals in it.

How do you like that one? What does she use for toning in the "Walk Strong" DVD? Hand weights? Stretchy bands? How long a workout is it?

then i decided to try some of the 4 mile xpress one. that is all cardio and you can stop at whatever mileage you want. i liked that one, it really worked up a good sweat.

I have six of Leslie's DVDs. The two I use (and like) the most are the 3-mile WATP w/stretchy bands and the 4-mile express. You're right--that 4-mile is a really good workout! Do you have the one that is a large class of women, quite a few "grandmas" and a 70something guy named Alton?

I don't ever use the first 3 Leslie DVDs I bought...they are all from the 80s and the 4-mile walk in that set is terrible. Too much repetition.

SheriaVa
03-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Anyone still alive out there? Have we lost all our peeps again?

corningkat
03-11-2005, 06:15 PM
hi sheriva! sorry i've been mia for a few days. wednesday i went out to dinner and then we all came to my house for birthday cake and ice cream. that is what i like about working days, i can participate in these kinds of activities. last nite i went and rejoined ww. also, now that i'm working days i can go to this. i am only going to pay weekly though for now. if i get to stay on days permanently then i will pay ahead to save a few bucks. i had to do something before i become the same size as my house. :lol:

as far as leslie sansone goes.... the walk strong video is about a half hour and uses stretchy bands. it is pretty simple. that is why i like it. i don't mind the repititions because i get all confused with other aerobic stuff.

well, i hope you have a good weekend! i wonder where all our newbies went??are we that boring??? ;)
kathy

corningkat
03-12-2005, 11:08 PM
happy saturday singles!! and lurkers!!!! :D thought i'd give us a bump up!

pretty boring saturday here. worked 6 hrs OT, then church, then groceries, then experimenting in the kitchen. i haven't decided the outcome yet.

tomorrow i am going to a home show with my girlfriend for something to do. sounds like fun and i'll get some walking in instead of sitting on my backside. :lol:

have a great sunday!
kathy

SheriaVa
03-14-2005, 09:14 AM
You know the saying "When it rains, it pours?" Well that's this week in regard to eating out. My usual plan is to eat out once a week and no more than twice. However, as things played out, I ended up having 1 meal out for four days in a row--HIGHLY unusual for me. The first, necessitated by stacked dental and hair appts. on Thursday, was a small deli sandwich and chips (I should have left the chips alone, but nooooo). Friday was my usual day to have lunch out and I'd already made plans with my former asst. We ended up at a new Mexican place which, unbeknownst to me, was sort of the McDonald's of Mexican--the chicken fajitas were definitely unlike any I'd ever had but at least they were tasty. Saturday was dinner (Japanese Steak House) and a movie (Be Cool) with a close friend and her dad. Sunday was a spur-of-the-moment, old-friend-is-coming-to-town, let's-gather-the-gang brunch at a somewhat upscale restaurant which was my choice of the places suggested because it had healthy stuff on the menu. I got a beautiful small salad and treated myself to a croissant for ordering so healthy when everyone else was going the massive artery-clogging route. Little did I know that there would be fresh-from-the-fryer beignets (little fried balls of dough covered in powdered sugar) hitting the table soon after we ordered. Oh, the PAIN! I could have eaten that entire plate of beignets. Mmmm. (But I only had two.)

The weird part is that a lot of this food was salty which, because of my hypertension, makes me retain water like crazy and usually results in a huge gain if nothing other than from the fluid. My weight went up 1/2 pound between THursday and Friday (after the chips) and I'm still that weight this morning. I am rather dumbfounded that the news isn't after 4 days of eating out but I will definitely take it!

corningkat
03-14-2005, 09:20 PM
hi sheriva! sometimes you just have to go with the flow.... unexpected events, company, etc... will always be there. it's just a matter of making decisions and it doesn't sound like yours were all bad. 1/2 lb is not bad, probably because of your exercise routine. i hope this week goes more smoothly for you.

i am struggling myself with the ww, but i don't think i'm sinking. i did 2 miles of the watp tape today to make up for some slacking. over the weekend i'd start logging in the morning and by afternoon i would say the heck with it. but i didn't go overboard, so i think that is a step in the right direction.

now i am back to the house selling stress factor. remember that?? the realtor hasn't sold it and the contract is up this month. i am in quite a dilemma about whether to keep trying to sell it or rent the dumb thing. :?: i am in a pickle regarding my parent's house now that my dad isn't here to maintain it and there is a lot of maintaining to do once the snow melts. i'm sure i'll get a lot of exercise then. :lol:

have a good tuesday!
kathy

corningkat
03-16-2005, 09:13 PM
hi singles! just giving a bump up....is there any singles left besides sheriva and I ???? where did everyone go???? :?:

hope you are having a good week sheriva!! :)
kathy

SheriaVa
03-17-2005, 08:52 AM
is there any singles left besides sheriva and I ???? where did everyone go???? :?:

Seriously! It's so weird that when people disappear, they seem to do so in clumps; i.e., instead of losing a person here and there, which is always going to happen in an online community, it seems we lose a whole gang at once. Kinda frustrating, but hopefully either some of the previous folks will come back to visit or we'll pick up some newbies. Thanks for hangin' in there, Kathy!

Holli's Human
03-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Hello singles,

I am an oldie that dropped off around the holidays...I only posted a few times actually and have been off the wagon for months and in desparation...came back to the sight tonight hoping to find some hope for my pitiful out of control life. I have been lately putting a little weight here and there as my clothes are still fitting but becoming tight. I make attempts each morning it seems and vow each night to begin anew each day only to blow it by noon or so over some frustrating, anxiety producing circumstance. I have a gym membership which I don't go to. I bought a treadmill in Feb. which I don't use. I just don't seem to have any discipline in my life for anything other than that which work requires. I am so childish in my personal life sometimes. I want what I want when I want it! Oh, and it's all about instant gratification. It just gets worse and worse the older I get and the longer I am single. I am really just out of control and my feeble attempts as of late to gain control have all failed. This forum is encouraging to me tonight, at least a little. I am so lazy...I don't wanna cook at night after the work day. I don't wanna pack a lunch to have to eat in my car...a cold lunch in my car in this still cold weather. In my job I am in the field all day and not in an office where I can microwave lean cuisines, etc..I have been giving in way too often to fast food, but can't be trusted to hold the fries and sweet tea...which I have developed an addiction to. I used to would NEVER drink sweetened beverages, as I wouldn't dare waste the calories on them...now, it's about all I drink. I have every weight loss book out there and don't follow any of it.

Anyway, gosh, this is long. I'm sorry about that. It did feel good to unload tho. I clicked on a buddy up group at first tonight and read someone's post about needing to lose baby weight and I almost went bizerk(how do you spell that?) before I could X out of the sight. Yeah, you guessed it, some of my eating comes from my unhappiness at never marrying and have those kids I always thought I would have. (oh, I am 43 by the way) There are times when I could care less, but there are times like these, when dot or tom or whatever ladies call it is here and I'm so moody and sappy! Yall know what I mean!

Ok, I'll end for now....sorry to be such a downer..this is not my personality, but I do admit I am in the dumps this week. Thanks for letting me post!

Holli's Human
03-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Yes, I do see my own quote...it was added in here at a much happier and more successful time! LOL It would be great if I could take some solace in it tonight...

SheriaVa
03-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Debbie: It's so wonderful to see you back! I'm sorry to hear you are not in the best place right now in your mindset. It's tough, I know. But truly, if you can get through the really tough work of establishing good habits, the momentum will carry you a long way! At least that has worked for me.

Is there anything we can do to help you get back on track? From reading your post, one thing I would sincerely caution you against is "all or nothing" thinking. I mean, try not to go from never having exercised for 3 months to telling yourself you will exercise an hour a day. Or go from drinking all sweet drinks to telling yourself you will never drink a sweet drink again. Take it slow and easy...baby steps...because every little step in the right direction COUNTS! Here is a list of baby steps I posted on another board that I hope may be of some help. Please let us know if there are any other ways that we can support you in getting back in the groove. Take care!

Baby Step Your Way to Success!

1. Are you a soda drinker? Today, drink one less soda and replace it with water. Next week, drink two less sodas and add two bottles of water and so on, until water outweighs the soda.

2. Are you eating enough fruit? If not, try to eat one serving a day to start and work up to 3-4 servings of fruit a day.

3. Are you eating enough veggies? If not, try eating a double serving of green beans or a salad with your dinner tomorrow. Or munch on some baby carrots as a mid-day snack.

4. Are you getting enough exercise? If not, take a walk on your lunch break. Do you have small children? Put on music or a video and dance around with your kids!

5. Are you eating whole grains? If not, try whole wheat bread or tortillas, brown rice or whole wheat pasta instead of white. Buy a whole grain cereal high in fiber and slice a banana over it (that way, you kill two baby steps with one stone).

6. Are you currently eating out more than once or twice a week? If so, pick one day to cook at home instead. Packing a healthy lunch to bring to work some days instead of eating out can be a great benefit to your health!

7. When you start eating healthier, don't torment yourself over falls off the wagon. This doesn't all happen in one day...it takes time to retrain ourselves to appreciate healthier foods.

8. Are you getting your dairy in? If you’re still drinking full fat or 2% milk, mix some skim or 1% into your regular milk until you can transition fully to drinking fat free or 1% milk.

9. "Everything in moderation." Unless restricted by your doctor due to health problems, there doesn’t have to be a food that is forbidden forever. That doesn't mean you should indulge at your favorite restaurant every day, but it does mean that you can have your favorite burger and fries now and then!

10. "When you fail to plan, you plan to fail." Plan what you’ll buy at the grocery store for healthier meals and snacks. Plan what meals you’ll cook. Create a “clean” food environment. Planning ahead is crucial to ensuring that, when you get hungry, you can reach for food that will help keep you healthy.

11. Instead of "3 square meals a day,” think about eating something about every 3 hours. This will help keep you from ever getting too hungry and keep your metabolism and blood sugar on an even keel all day instead of spiking and dipping.

12. Turn to others for support and accountability. Tell a friend you plan to take a walk today (better yet, get him/her to go with you). Tell a coworker what you plan to eat for lunch today. It's amazing how much better you stay on track when you've told people what you're planning to do! Talk to others who are in the same boat for support—like the people here on 3FC!

corningkat
03-18-2005, 07:21 PM
hi singles! welcome back debbie! :) we are glad to have you back and more than willing to listen to you vent. i also understand the way you feel. :( i have been there most of the recent year. i am now on the rebound doing what sheriva suggested. baby steps!!! another thing that helps me along as far as the not having a family goes ( i am almost 40) is that i tell myself i can sit around wishing, which gets me absolutely nowhere, or i can thank god for what i have accomplished on my own. many things of which most women could not pull off without a husband( or 2nd income). i am a self sufficient woman. i am sure you could list many things you have accomplished as a single woman, try to think of those things and be proud. like sheriva said, anything we can do to help, let us know...and remember you are not alone.:grouphug:

sheriva - thanks so much for the "baby step ladder"!:thanks:

have a good weekend!
kathy

chica8
03-19-2005, 02:46 AM
Hi Singles,

Well on my end I have tried to keep moving more than I used to. I was working out regularly but I got sick and I am slowly working my way back but two things are bothering me. The first is that when I do work out I gain weight as opposed to when I don't workout. Secondly, since I have started going back to the gym, I don't get that energy rush after I workout anymore. Before I felt great after I worked out now its like blah I don't even sweat as much or feel like I got a good workout. What's going on here?

SheriaVa
03-19-2005, 05:35 PM
First, welcome back, chica! Good to see you.

The first is that when I do work out I gain weight as opposed to when I don't workout.

This is fairly common, especially if you are doing any weight training. Muscle weighs more than fat so, unless you are burning off fat faster than you're building muscle, it is certainly possible to gain.

Another possibility is your post-workout eating. Do you find that you are ravenously hungry after you workout? Are you taking care with your post-workout eating so that you don't cancel out your hard work? I struggle with that on Saturdays because I take a really intense aerobic class and come home RAVENOUS so I really have to put a lot of effort into thinking healthy thoughts on the way home so I don't chow down on the wrong stuff! :)

Secondly, since I have started going back to the gym, I don't get that energy rush after I workout anymore. Before I felt great after I worked out now its like blah I don't even sweat as much or feel like I got a good workout. What's going on here?

Hmm. Well, there are a few things I can think of here:
1) Are you completely over being sick? If not, the exercise could be zapping too much of your energy and therefore you feel tired after vs. energized.
2) Is your eating before or after your workout different than it was before? If you are not giving the ol' gas tank enough fuel before the workout, it could be that you're hitting "empty" and that's leaving you feeling "bleh."
3) Usually, when I have been sick and not working out much or at all, I sometimes have to go backwards and do less workout at first when I first start back. However, it sounds like this may not be the case with you. It sounds like you may be at the point where you have to up the intensity or duration of your workout to get that same energy rush.
4) It could be a mental thing. Having been sick and away from working out for a while, maybe you're just not as into working out as you were. After I've been sick or otherwise away from vacation, I frequently struggle with a bad attitude for a week before I can get myself back in the right frame of mind to ramp up my exercise and get back in the zone.

Hope some of that was helpful!
Sheri

Holli's Human
03-19-2005, 11:18 PM
AHHH, hello new friends. Thanks for all the encouraging words. It has been a roller coaster weekend. I binged on donuts and fried chkn last night until I was sick of myself. This morning I had toyed with the idea of going to a OA meeting...nope, haven't been before but looked it up and felt desparate. I didn't go tho. I chickened out and stayed in bed until it was too late to get ready and get there by 9 am. Now, I really hate to get out and about on Sat. early since I have to do it M-F for work. I like to be lazy on Sat am. If the meeting had been later, I might would have gone. I proceeded to make coffee and finish off the donuts and started watching part of a movie (while surfing) called "My Life" with Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman. Something about it made me wanna have a better day and I threw away the donuts. Yeah for me! The rest of the day wasn't perfect, but definately better. I did go to a later lunch with friends and unfortunately gave in and ordered sweet tea. But, a little victory came when we went to a movie and I DID NOT order buttered popcorn (usually with extra butter) and I DID order a diet coke. Whew! I am not without hope once again. Thanks for the baby steps Sheri. I just read that tonight, but I will print it...I think it will be helpful and it is nice realizing I am not alone in this. And you are right Kathy, I have much to be proud of as a single woman. I just have times like these when I don't want to single in a couples world anymore. I want to curl up next to someone and night, I want to plan retirment with someone and well, then there is sex. Boy do I miss that part of a relationship! It's been such a long time..but I mostly miss cuddling with a guy on the couch and cooking and eating together on a Sat. night.

And as a final, good note....I have been experiencing that thing we all go thru at times...ya know, the cruel self talk, "you are so fat and so ugly, you are cow!" and I went to a website tonight of an organization I belong to, to see updates and lo and behold there was a cute, yep cute, picture of me from last month at a party and I was shocked! I looked really cute and hip posing with another girl who I think IS cute and hip! I was her equal in every respect in the picture and I just couldn't believe it as I kept staring at the pic. I couldn't believe it was me! I'm gonna print it too and when that self hating voice creeps up I'm gonna look it and argue for a change.

Thanks new friends...I sure appreciate you right now!

SheriaVa
03-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Well, we're up to 6 pages. Looks like it's about that time for we singles to have a new page. Whaddya think, ladies? Should I start a new thread? I will link this one to the new one as before, of course.

txlawchic
03-21-2005, 01:12 PM
SheriaVa: Thank you so much for inviting me back! I have been meaning to visit, but I've been CRAZED!!!

This has not been a great few weeks, well let me back up a bit. When I last visted ya'll I was doing Weight Watchers Core plan. Later, I re-introduced working out into my repertoire and found that the Core plan was not enough nutritionally what I needed to match up with the workouts. Did research and tested things out and have found what I think is a great plan. However, I have been in a battle to match up the nutrition and food together. There have been weeks with on-target workouts and lax food and vice versa. Now, I am in black and white mode. I have found that I have no gray area, either I'm really, really good or really, really bad. On-target completely or completely off. Anyone else like this? Has anyone gotten out of this mode? How?

Also, this is pre-TOM and the only thing I want to do is eat Salt & Vinegar chips and Frosted Sugar cookies. That's it! Pretty sure that's not on plan.

Hope everyone else is well! What are the rest of you doing and how do you stay motivated?

corningkat
03-21-2005, 05:52 PM
hi singles! glad to have some returning people to liven things up a bit! :)

sheriva - i think a new thread for a fresh start with our returnees would be nice. thanks for doing it for us.:thanks:

txlawchic - i just returned to ww a couple of weeks ago. i follow the points plan. it is what works for me because i am more accountable to myself. i can't go on a hunger scale because i would eat all the time. :lol:

holli's human - i know the feeling of loneliness you are decribing. it has been a long time for me also. when is start to think about it, i try to find something to do to distract my thougths. for the most part that works for me, but the feeling is always there. good for you throwing those donuts away!:bravo: donuts are one of the worst food you can eat nutritionally.

well, i hope everyone has a good week!
kathy

SheriaVa
03-21-2005, 07:03 PM
SheriaVa: Thank you so much for inviting me back! I have been meaning to visit, but I've been CRAZED!!!

You are most welcome for the invite...thanks for coming back to visit us!

FYI for the others, I spent some time going through our thread and looking at the names of people who have stopped visiting and checking their "last visited" date. I was saddened to note that most of them haven't even visited 3FC since before Christmas, so it's not just our thread. Txlawchic was one of the exceptions...I saw that she had visited as recently as a few days ago and sent her a private message inviting her to come visit us.

What are the rest of you doing and how do you stay motivated?

I've been eating healthy and exercising regularly for what will be 2 years in a couple of months and I am STILL only halfway to my goal weight. There have been long blocks of time during that period where I stopped losing weight, despite the fact that I was still working out 5-6 X week and eating healthy. God knows, there were times I was down and discouraged...and yea, even a few times when I THOUGHT about giving up. But just the thought of going backward...gaining back the 35 pounds I lost (and likely more, since that is so common), going back to dangerously high cholesterol and losing the other health benefits I've gained (not to even mention how much better I feel about myself emotionally)...well, it makes me overwhelmingly sad. I knew that going backwards would not make me happy and that I would be throwing away two years of VERY hard work...and that is what keeps me motivated to go on.

A lot of people have asked me "How did you do it?" They want a miracle answer, something fast and easy. And I tell them...this will NEVER be easy...at least not for me and the vast majority of the people I know who have changed to a healthy lifestyle and have lost weight. I truly believe that every individual who wants to change has to be ready for change. I wasn't ready to change until 2 years ago, when it became more about my health than my dress size. I tell people "You have to want to be healthier and thinner more than you want to stay where you are."

I dieted for decades and just kept getting fatter and fatter. Now, I have completely changed my mindset and have worked very hard to eject all the years of diet mentality from my brain so that I can be ready to accept the concept of a lifelong change to a healthy lifestyle. I still struggle every day, but I am healthier and happier with myself than I was 2 years ago.

corningkat
03-23-2005, 08:29 PM
hi singles! how is everyone's week going?? mine is ok. i was suppose to have a 3 day weekend, but they asked us to work friday. couldn't resist that double time and a half trying to get out of debt and all. i still have sat and sun off. i am going to start the project of going thru my dad's things if the weather is nice enough. (there's no heat in the house right now) i am not looking forward to it but it has to be done. i will be moving before i know it and i 'd like to get a jumpstart instead of waiting till the last minute.

i had my yearly check up today. my blood pressure is still a little high but better than it was. other than that, all is well. dr. said if i keep going to ww and get serious about exercise the blood pressure should go back down where it belongs. i have been doing pretty well this week tracking my points. i had a little slipup tonite, but nothing major and i won't dwell on it. i told the dr. i will be getting lots of exercise once the weather is nicer because my parent's house (that i'm moving too) has a lot of maintenance involved and it has to be done with no excuses.

well, that's enough about me for one posting. i hope everyone is having a good week!
kathy :)

SheriaVa
03-24-2005, 09:01 AM
i had my yearly check up today. my blood pressure is still a little high but better than it was. other than that, all is well. dr. said if i keep going to ww and get serious about exercise the blood pressure should go back down where it belongs.

That's good news, Kathy! You can do it!

I'll be leaving town to visit my friends in Delaware for Easter on Saturday and, if the weather cooperates, plan to stay a few extra days this time, so I'm not sure when I will be online again after tomorrow. I will wait until I get back from Delaware to start up the new thread page.

Hope you all have a wonderful Easter!

corningkat
03-24-2005, 06:32 PM
hi singles!

sheriva - i hope you have a nice easter too! and a safe , fun trip. talk to you when you get back!
kathy

journeygirl
03-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Hello Singles, My name is Jodie and I'd like to join this group. Here's why, I don't know if anyone else in this group read the Dr. Phil weight loss book, but I did and a few things really stuck with me. One of the things is that I believe I cling to my bad weight for a reason, due to the pattern I find myself following, which is get healthy and fit, get into an unhealty stressful relationship with a total loser, stop being healthy and fit, get fat, get rid of the boyfriend, and get health and fit again. Definetly not interested in repeating this patten - except for the healthy and fit part. I need help with this, I must still things to figure out because I'm still struggling with even starting to lose, I have lost large amounts of weight twice befor in my life and I come within inches of my goal and as soon as I start getting that male attention I put on the brakes and start gaining. Any sugestions or similar problems??????

corningkat
03-30-2005, 10:45 PM
welcome journeygirl!!! glad to hear from the outside world. it's been very quiet around here lately. don't know where everyone is?? but i still check most days.

i did read dr. phil last year, i even tried joining a local team, but the team thing didn't last. i like the psychological side of his book. i think right thinking is a big part and like you i am in that man cycle. we just have to decide to do this for ourselves and noone else.(easier said than done i understand)
i've been thinking about re-reading his book. i even read his son's book and i don't have any kids. :lol: jay's book is almost the same as his dad's only in a little easier to understand language aimed towards teen.

i recently re-joined ww for the umpteenth time. i'm off to a slow start but at least it's a start. i have to work on the exercise side. now that it is getting nicer i hope to accomplish that. i wish i could win one of those precors dr. phil gives away.

thanks for joining us and have a good thursday!
kathy :D

SheriaVa
03-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi Singles, I'm home! Had a nice time at the seashore from Saturday to Wednesday afternoon despite the CRAPTASTIC weather. The day I left, there was a glorious sunrise over the ocean and I took a nice hour-long powerwalk on the boardwalk. Lots of other people were out walking or jogging and everyone was smiling and saying "Good morning!" You could tell that everyone was SO HAPPY to see the sun again, not to mention see a glimmer of warmer spring weather (though it was still "zesty" at the ocean).

Jodie, welcome!!! While I am not in the same cycle you mentioned, I completely understand it. There is a part of me that is very conscious that I have kept myself fat out of fear of intimacy. I haven't had a lot of success at meeting the right men or having loving relationships in my life (in part because of my weight but certainly not just because of it), so when I am slimmer and get more attention from men, it just increases the stress that I feel about not being very experienced in that arena and also saddens me because I realize how much happiness I may have missed out on.

Still, I have decided that, for my health, it is necessary for me to exercise regularly and have a healthy eating lifestyle. No more dieting for me (I just kept getting fatter from all the years of dieting--proof it doesn't work). I haven't gotten a lot of attention from men yet, but I definitely see it changing. Instead of having men look past me, and feeling invisible as a result, I see men regularly making eye contact now and even smiling. If I was going out to clubs and such, I suppose I would probably be asked to dance and probably asked out, but I lead a pretty quiet life and I just don't get anywhere to meet men (the grocery store has never worked for me LOL).
I guess I will cross that bridge (being asked out and dealing with intimacy again) when I come to it.

Jodie, I hope you are able to break the chain. It can't be healthy for your body to be going up and down in weight over and over. It sounds like you've made the decision to do this for you. Way to go! You are worth it!

journeygirl
03-31-2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and words of support. I am 30 years old now and my reasons for wanting to lose weight are definetly different now then they were in my younger years. I used to want that attention from men but now I'm trying to evolve in different ways that are only for my well being. I've always been a people pleaser, I really have a hard time saying no and when I start to get involved with a man I'm comfortable being myself at first but slowly I start to be what they want me to be, or at least what I anticipate they want. What is this preasure to be all things to all people? Anyway, not trying to sound all new agey, but I'm trying to understand me and what I like and what I want in my life. I want to start saying no and being comfortable with taking a stand in who I am. As for losing the pounds, for me basically being overweight is so distracting, I limit myself by being overweight, I hold back from doing certain things because of it and I devote sooooo much time to thoughts of losing, or how uncomfortable I am being overweight. So basically I want silence, I want to be able to have a silent peacful moment were I'm not worried about my weight. Then there will be room for other thoughts, productive thougths, new goals and dreams. One thing I remember about losing weight before is that I felt like I was capable of anything, I love that feeling!!!
In that Dr. Phil book he says something about how you can't be overweight unless you have a lifestyle that supports it, this is true, so when you consider that to lose you must change your lifestyle, or asspects of it, that is hard to do. In a way I'm comfortable here, change just never seems fun to me at first, but I know that I'm not happy here or I would think so much about what else there is for me here.
The problem is there are these moments I fell so driven, and then a few days into a new effort I feel so weak. and at those times I just want to eat something or many things that are bad for me and curl up on the coach, and getting to the gym feels like the impossible.

corningkat
04-02-2005, 07:38 PM
hi singles! what a yucky day! rainy,cold and miserable. got my 6 hours of OT in and came home and vegged out. i am super tired and need a day of rest. i did get to church at 5pm so i wouldn't have to get up early if i didn't want to.

welcome back sheriva - glad to hear you had a nice time. anytime by the ocean is nice for me. i miss the ocean air soooo much since i've moved inland. i have good news. i was officially asked for a day shift job and i accepted. :dance: now i can stay adjusted to my new sleep hours.

when i weighed in thurs. nite, i gained 1 lb.. i am not complaining because i was expecting a couple of more. the easter feasting killed my week. i am back on track this week.

journeygirl - i think getting thru the mental challenge is 3/4 of the battle! i still haven't gotten thru myself. one day i'm positive and the next it's negative. i guess we need some hobbies... :lol:

have a good weekend!
kathy

SheriaVa
04-03-2005, 12:00 PM
hi singles! what a yucky day! rainy,cold and miserable.

Ditto that for here. I had this fantasy of having a week off with wonderful sunny spring days where I would be motivated to go out walking or be out doing errands/shopping. I have had ONE day of sun during my entire vacation and that was Wednesday. Yesterday, it rained torrentially...when I came out of the garage at the gym, it was beating down on my car and I thought "ugh, I don't want to do my errands." but I did do some. Of course, a week's vacation with crappy weather is still a week's vacation, so I ain't complaining! ;)

welcome back sheriva - glad to hear you had a nice time. anytime by the ocean is nice for me. i miss the ocean air soooo much since i've moved inland.

I hear that! I LOVE it there. And being in an oceanfront hotel room on the ONE morning when the sun finally came out...and seeing this stunning sunrise...it just breathed new life into me. It had me smiling all day. I sent pix of the sunrise to a few friends and they said it was breathtaking.

i have good news. i was officially asked for a day shift job and i accepted. :dance: now i can stay adjusted to my new sleep hours.

WOOHOO!!!!! Congrats, Kathy! That's wonderful.

journeygirl - i think getting thru the mental challenge is 3/4 of the battle!

Oh the mental challenge is HUGE! It's a constant. I know some people on another board who are maintaining at goal weight and, if there's one thing I've learned from them, it's that the challenge is never over. It may be depressing but that's the reality of it. It gets easier but it never goes away for many of us.

SheriaVa
04-03-2005, 12:11 PM
I've started us a new thread. To get to it, click on Singles Supporting Singles #4 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=811920#post811920).