Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-31-2005, 05:59 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers - January 31 - February 6

Good morning, Maintainers! How did it get to be the last day of January already? It’s hard to believe that tomorrow is February 1 – even though February’s the shortest month of the year, somehow it always seems to be the longest … wonder if that stupid groundhog will see his shadow on Wednesday or not?

Wonderful news about your mother, Ann-Charlotte!

I had to laugh when I read what you said about there being very few cloudy days in the Southwest, Evangeline! DD is living in Albuquerque and she always tells me that their idea of cloudy is whole lot different than ours. To a New Mexican, it means a few scattered white puffy clouds in an otherwise blue sky. To us, it means a dark dreary gray sky when you need your headlights even at noon. (can you tell I love the Southwest? )

Anne/lessismore – how’s the Back to Basics going for you? Hope it’s getting a little easier – I’m an emotional eater/binger too (a lot of us are) and the hardest thing of all is getting back on track. The holidays sure can throw all our food routines for a loop and getting back in the groove can be such a challenge. I think that so many of us need that day-to-day routine of food and exercise. For me, it almost has to be a no-brainer – I just have to do it without asking myself if I want to or not.

I’ve been craving warm food lately – anyone have any new recipes or ideas?

how's everyone doing?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:32 AM   #2  

Meg! Hello, and good morning all maintainers! Yesterday was a balmy day in NH, in the 30's, I almost wore my shorts.

Thanks for checking on me Meg, you are so thoughtful and kind. I'm thrilled to report that my eating is back on track, it's been one full week. I had a minor slip on Sat. night where I ate 2 pieces of pizza and 2 cookies, but otherwise clean eats every day. I felt cruddy yesterday morning and got right back on track. As for exercise, I'm almost always on track because without my work-outs, I go insane!!! So scale is down 3 pounds today, I'm thrilled.

I agree, January flew by and the dreaded month of February begins tomorrow. Hubby & I are heading to Las Vegas for a long weekend, should be fun. I've never been. I'm not a gambler, but we're going to see Celine Dion which I'm excited about. Not so sure dh is as excited as I am, however!!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Anne
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:12 AM   #3  
Mel

Morning Meg and Anne and all who follow

Anne- Glad to hear you are back on track. Minor slips happen. The good thing is that you managed it and it stayed minor.

Charlotte-Anne- That's fantastic news abut your mother! Very understandable emotional reactions. I'm sure you were all scared and worried.

Warm food: I made a big pot of lentil soup using the chicken broth left from poaching chicken breasts, and the beef stock from making a pot roast. The soup was delicious, but I was a bit dismayed when I ran a hypothetical cupful through fitday and discovered that I'd slurped down an extra 200 calories with each of my lunches this weekend. I'd counted it as a carb portion, not thinking that I could cut my protein in half (sob). I don't find soup very filling...I need to chew...but it was warm and tastey. Maybe this afternoon, if I'm not ferrying ds to the doctor for his strep throat, I'll make a pot of turkey breast chili. That's my favorite warm food, served over a giant bowl of broccoli No calorie surprises there!

Stay warm!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:44 AM   #4  

Good Monday morning all! I've been unexpectedly MIA, what with a pile of post-holiday catchup and a board meeting last week. I have a full week facing me, then DH and I are leaving Saturday for four days in Key Largo. We've never been, and we are really looking forward to it! C'mon spring

Say, I wanted to alert everyone to the February issue of "Prevention" magazine; lots of interesting articles. For example, Geneen Roth's column is titled, "Being There: Now is the Time to Show Up for Your Own Life." Key quote: "We spend our lives thinking about what we already did or are going to do, and we completely miss what we are doing." She goes on to urge readers to become more attuned to their physical selves, saying, "The reason that living in your body is quote helpful is because the alternative -- living in your mind -- can drive you insane." This issue also contains some interesting recipes, an article on effective strategizing by their fitness writer, a review of bathroom scales and other useful tidbits. I enjoyed it a lot.

Well, gotta get this week started. Have a good one chickies!
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:39 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Good morning Maintainer Chickies!!

It's another day! Can you tell that when the sun is out I'm right UP there too?!

My weekend was so-so food wise Friday night and Saturday night. Saturday I got into the vino with the g/f's and ewww did not feel up to par on Sunday but I did go for a run anyways to clear the cobwebs and it worked... It was so dang sunny on Sunday I certainly could not pass being outdoors up! Ya know I think I prefer sunny days at this time of year when it's crisp and bright and of course on the coolish/cold side, than the middle of the hot summer! I know I'm a little strange and I think you girls know that by now ...

CharlotteAnne -- Happy to hear of the good new! Parents are getting as worrisome as the kids once they reach a certain age! Someday hopefully someone will take care of us, what goes around comes around...KWIM?

LessIsMore -- That pizza and cookies doesn't sound too bad at all, good for you for not letting it derail you...

Mel -- That soup may be 200cals but I bet it was more filling than your usual fare, so it balances out in the end...

Meg -- How's the Trainer's Training coming along?

Well I've got to get in gear or I'll never do anything today... I'm in a delema I want to do legs but I want to jog cause it's and bright!!! OH MY, what to do, what to do?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:40 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Well, it's been an eventful weekend. You'll have to see my new thread for details--I think I'm still too shocked to type it again. Anyway, trying to calm down between naps.

Good to see you back Indiana Robin! Good morning and good week everyone.

wunderAnne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:13 AM   #7  

Hi maintainers !

Well Anne, that was a bombshell news! congratulations again.
Also hi to all the other maintainers out there.

A new week and almost a new month, I am getting back into routine. Gaine a pund last month and will now be working towards getting it off again. I decided that the best birthday present I can give myself is loosing some weight. I have added some proteine (soy grits) to my diet & hope this will help. Also food wise I have to get myself off the chocolates. Food wise, chocolates and dried fruit are my vices.

Have a nice day & a good week,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:56 PM   #8  

Happy Monday (as if thats possible)

Well January is over, and Feb is on its way. That makes me very happy. 1/2 of my worst time of year is over. Went for an eye exam today, and came home with new mono vision contacts, for distance and reading. So far I am not reading well and I am typing by touch. AH the January depression, always an interesting event in my life.
Feb will probably bring a new hair color.

I will look for that issue Robin, I enjoy prevention.
Rabbit Hershey's are my antidepression, they work but the side effects are not pretty.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, I've been AWOL and I'm up a couple of pounds however .... I'm almost 5 days post
So I'll be back down to see you all again very soon.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:19 PM   #10  

Hi,

My week started with shock - our company is sold! I say it is better than beeing taken over by a bunch of unprofessionals, but of course we don't know what will happen next. The good thing nobody knows what will happen next and we have 6 more month to guess. At least I am not neurotic that I will loose the job this February, as I thought I will.

Over the weekend I had 2 nice long walks in the forest with my dogs and kids. We all enjoyed it. We also tried to cure our puppy from separation anxiety and it seems to work - right now we can leave him for 15 min alone and he does not destroy the house (if you wonder how much you can destroy in the house - come visit my house ...)

Foodwise I was not very smart, but I did not overindulge - I guess I maintained. It was raining and we also spent somet imes assembling furniture...

Now back to work, dog is in my office and lets me go to the washroom all by myself - last week I would have to take him with me. He even survived 1 hour long meeting in the company meeting room about the new aquisition. I hope new owners will have dog-friendly policy too - so far I am blessed with my coworkers - somebody always takes Blake for a walk or play...

I am looking forward to my yoga class today - I hope at least half of last week participants will come tonight...

Cheers,
Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:49 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Sashenka -- Oh My!! I hope you don't get let go from your job! ... You are VERY lucky that your employer let's you bring your pet to work! I don't know very many that would...

SusanB -- Welcome back! I know you'll be just fine keep posting and keeping us up to date and we'll be glad to keep you on the straight and narrow...

Reg -- I always wondered about those contacts... I wear gas permable and they are much smaller in size than the soft contact so there is no way they can make them into a bifocal...but one never knows with the new technology...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:03 PM   #12  

Happy start to the week, guys!

I hate Mondays. What a horrible and long day at work. I was happy to get out of there to get myself to the gym. Our usual kickboxing class on Mondays has been changed to a boot camp class. Most of us are pretty upset since our kickboxing class completely kicks butt. The new class mixes some step, kickboxing, and weights. I worked up quite the sweat.

I'm trying Lean Cuisine pizza tonight for the first time. I am a vegetarian so this was the first time I ever found meatless pizza at my local grocery store. Whenever I try new diet dinners I always have something on standbye in case it's really bad.

Congratulations, Anne! You'll have to let us know if you get any kind of weird food cravings. I'm always intrigued by what pregnant women crave to eat.
Rubia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:54 AM   #13  

hi maintainers !

Sashenka: good for you to have job security untill the summer !

Gina: So true about the antidepressive potency of some food or other. I was having rather a bad case of depression last week but I'm over the worst now and I know that for me there is also a big seasonal influence. When spring comes it will be much better. Also the bad news I got from work last week is that my companies social coach now thinks that it may be 3 - 4 years before I am over my work related burn-out. that alone is sufficient to drop my right back into the depression that goes with the burnout again.

All in all I am glad that I came away with minor weight gain, and I'm glad to be back on track !!

have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 145/132/115

Height: 5'2.5

Anne, that is so fabulous to hear about your news!!! Congrats!

Ann-Charlotte, I read about your mother illness, and to hear that she will fully recover is absolutely wonderful. I was feeling the relief for you, and I can only imagine what you were going through *hugs*

I couldn't get around to posting yesterday because it is my full day at school. That means I am out of the house by 6:30am until 10:30 pm - definitely a draining day! But, OTOH, I have today off! Not like I don't have equally as much to do...

I gained a pound over the weekend, but noticed this morning it dropped off. It feels surreal to be back on track like this. It has been years. One of those things people say "If I did it, YOU can do it" and I never believed...
Quite proud of myself for working out everyday. Even yesterday - I forgoed (sp?) my first class to do it. Mind you, the class wasn't overly important! By the end of the day I was hungry and tired so before my last dreadful class I got a doughnut and coffee . Oh man, a large black coffee and an apple fritter. I knew how bad it was but its cheap and I needed SOMETHING. Caffeine and sugar usually dont have an effect on me but after class I was weak, I guess the sugar rush dropped off. Starving when I got home so I ate vegetarian chillie and some fruit. Enough to satisfy and off to bed. Weight down this morning. Yay!

Well, off to do some work and then eventually exercise.

Have a fabulous day!
Cyndy
cyndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:44 AM   #15  

Morning:
Off to work with the new eyes, I am bring my glasses for back up.
Rabbit: There is a reason that the chocolate holiday(v-day) is in February.(LOL)
Glad your feeling a bit better, I struggle with winter depression & regular depression.

Rubia: I have a March vacation coming up as well. I am trying my best but the scale is being quite difficult.
Sashenka job stress is very difficult, glad you have some time to work thing out.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote