Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 03:42 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Hominy?

Roasting those chick peas made me start wondering. They taste sort of like Corn Nuts to me. I don't know what Corn Nuts are made from, but they look like hominy, so I'm wondering if you can roast hominy? But first, is it Core?
Old 01-30-2005, 03:49 PM   #2  

ewwwww, hominy was one of those foods like okra, hold the nose, swallow it, gag and then drink lots of water afterwards........blllaahhhhhhhh
Old 01-30-2005, 03:53 PM   #3  

Oh you! Yes, I remember hating it when I was a kid, but I also hated every other vegetable under the sun, including all the ones I like now! Maybe my tastebuds have changed. And when I saw a kid, no way would I eat okra. NO WAY! Now it's one of my trigger foods that I have to avoid because when I start, I will eat it all. (You gonna finish that fried okay? No? Well, can I have it?)
Old 01-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #4  
Southside White Sox Fan

According to my Daily Food Companion, Hominy is Core. What is it? Dumb question from this Midwest Girl!
Old 01-30-2005, 04:39 PM   #5  

It looks like exploded corn. Maybe it's a southern thing, but we had it a lot when I was a kid. Let me see if I can find a pic.

This probably won't help ...

Old 01-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #6  

I love hominy! There's just something about the texture, although I agree it's an acquired taste. I've never tried to roast it or anything, but I'd love to learn what happens when you do!

In the general foods section of the Food Companion, hominy is listed as Core, which makes sense since it's pretty much just corn.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:48 PM   #7  

Laura, I will get a can and try it. It can't hurt to try!
Old 01-30-2005, 05:49 PM   #8  
Southside White Sox Fan

Can anyone describe the texture and the taste. How and when would someone serve it?
Old 01-30-2005, 05:55 PM   #9  

It's like a side dish, sort of like corn but bigger. Have you ever seen Corn Nuts? It looks like that, but is "wet". The texture is sorta grainy ... okay I have to stop now. It's sounding gross, but I swear it isn't! I should send you a can in the mail!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:16 PM   #10  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Exclamation

Oh ya - I'm looking for that as a side dish! lol

Of course none of that stuff in Canada - have heard of hominy grits? is that the same thing? What are grits anyways? do they taste gritty?

"I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect hominy!"

frouf
Old 01-30-2005, 07:36 PM   #11  

Frouf, you're a goof tonight! (And I guess I'm a poet, and don't know it, with all this rhyming.) I've always wondered about hominy, and grits, and hominy grits too...

So has anyone toasted those garbanzo beans before? Sounds yummy.

Angela
Old 01-30-2005, 07:38 PM   #12  

ha ha frouf........hominy.....whole world singing that is funny......

grits, a hot cereal......not to be confused as a potato.....father a northerner, mother a southerner. a lot of times in the south, grits is an automatic side dish when out for breakfast, my father did not ask what they were, assumed it was a potato dish and put ketchup on them........ewww gross.......he is probably the reason i am not fond of the southern cuisine of grits, hominy (big lumpy squishy corn-like dish) succatash, fried okra......someone help me out here......there is another that is a cornmeal and meat combo that you can buy in a pound block......scrable? something like that.......

i do enjoy the dishes of canada......meat, potatoe, salad.....gotta love it!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:45 PM   #13  

Grits are like malt 'o meal but all white. I don't even know what grain they come from, but they're in every restaurant around here that serves breakfast! My parents always put salt and pepper on them, but I was the butter and sugar kind of girl.

We were fed stuff like that and told it would stick to our ribs. Mine stuck to my butt instead though ... oops!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:52 PM   #14  

scrapple
Old 01-30-2005, 07:56 PM   #15  

Oh for heaven's sakes! I might never eat again after reading this!!!

SCRAPPLE
Cool weather conjures up thoughts of hog killin' and scrapple makin'. After the hams and bacon have been put down in cure and the sausage is all ground and the lard rendered and the feets pickled and the snouts soused, you take what's left (the scraps) and make scrapple. Now, I have seen a lot of recipes for making scrapple. Most say to start with a shoulder or some such good piece of meat. Blasphemy! Everybody knows there are better ways to use a shoulder and such wanton waste would not have been tolerated back when times were tight and folks had to make the most of what they had. I have also had some Pennsylvania scrapple that was way too strong in liver. Here's how we used to make it back when I was a youngun.

Ingredients:
1 Grandmother to make sure everything is done "just so"
1 Mother to do most of the preparations. Overseen by ingredient #1
2 Children, big enough to stir the pot but not smart enough to be somewhere else
Hog heads (number depending upon how many hogs were killed)
About 1/4 of the livers (the rest having been made into liver pudding or fried)
Hearts
Various and sundry other parts of the pig not used to make other delicacies
Salt
Sage
Pepper
Maybe a little celery salt to highlight the flavors (optional)
Stone ground white cornmeal

The feature attraction is the cleaned head. Remove the eyeballs (the brains were removed on killing day and scrambled with eggs the next morning), break the head(s) into manageable pieces with a cleaver, and cook them down in a kettle of boiling water 'til the meat is easily pulled. Skim the fat from the water and save. Pull all of the meat and fat (separate) from the heads and chop up the chunks. Cook the liver and heart and whatever else wasn't used in other delicacies and grind them up. Get a tote-sack full of corn meal and keep it handy. Put the meat, heart, and other scraps (except liver) back into the simmering kettle of stock. Add liver until you can taste it but the liver flavor does not predominate. You can put some of the fat in if you wish. Add salt and celery salt - the cornmeal will take a lot of salt so you get this mixture fairly salty. Stir. Taste. Add sage and pepper to taste - not too much, now. Stir. Taste. Pass the spoon around so everybody can pass judgment. When it's right, you should taste salt first, then liver - but not too strong, rich pork meat flavor and a hint of sage. When everybody (especially ingredient #1) is agreed that it couldn't possibly be better, bring out the cornmeal and kids.

Now comes the hard part! Slowly stir in the cornmeal with a long wooden spoon - not too much at a time, now. Keep stirring. Add cornmeal. Keep stirring. Add cornmeal. Keep stirring. As the mixture starts to get thick, add some of the liquid fat that had been skimmed earlier. Keep stirring. Not thick enough yet. Add a little more corn meal. Keep stirring. A little more fat until there is a slight sheen to the surface but no visible oil. Keep stirring.

"Just where do you think you're going? Get back there and stir that pot!! "

As the mixture thickens and you fine tune the ratio of fat to cornmeal, it will start to separate from the sides of the kettle. This is a good thing 'cause the kids are about tuckered. Ladle it into lightly greased, shallow, rectangular or square tin pans to a thickness of about 2 1/2 inches. Be careful - it's still hot! Start slapping it down with the palm of your hand. Slap it like you mean it! SLAP IT! If you are doing it right, your hand should be beet red, sore and covered with a light coat of pig oil. Good. Now let the pans cool, cover with waxed paper and put them in the frigidare or cold pantry.

Next morning, remove scrapple from the pan and slice about 3/8" thick. Lightly flour both sides. Heat about 1/4" of bacon grease in an iron skillet 'til it just starts to smoke. Fry until outside starts to crisp but the inside is still soft. Drain briefly on a paper towel. Serve with Log Cabin syrup and eggs. There's nothing else like it in this world!!
Closed Thread