Support Groups - Weight Loss & Toning Talk #3

View Full Version : Weight Loss & Toning Talk #3

Jane
01-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Hi Ladies! :hungry: :strong:

Want to talk about your struggles and successes with weight loss, healthy food choices, and exercise? Need some encouragement? Want to share a NSV (non-scale victory)? You found the right place! Jump in with your ideas, concerns, and general 2 worth to help make this lifelong journey a positive one.

Jane
01-30-2005, 09:28 AM
Katy - I have a copy of Fix It and Forget It - Lightly cookbook, by author Phyllis Pellman Good, that I am finished with, if you'd like to have it. I've already copied the recipes that I want. It's paperback, 284 pages, and would ship easily. I also have the the original, Fix It and Forget It, which is not light recipes. Like you, I love my crock pots. (can't have just one with a family of my size!!)

Marti - how's it going for you?

Neal and I went out to eat Friday and without even thinking, I put part of my entree on his plate. (nsv!!) Why do these restaurants give us portions meant for a lumberjack?? I'd rather they lessen the amount, and lower the prices, lol.

Gotta hop over to chit chat... see you later!

Marti
01-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Well I WI yesterday and I'm still at 145. So w/TOM being here....I was pretty pleased....I'm hoping that POSSIBLY next WI I will see a difference?? But I won't get my hopes up yet.

Had Jhanai try steamed aspargus last night and she liked it! I was thrilled. I'm always wanting fresh steamed veggies and if the whole family like the pick I choose...makes it easier for me to plan a dinner!

Have either of you tried the tasty yet good for you dessert yet? It's from one of the WW cookbooks I have......Frozen Vanilla (FF) yogurt, drizzle a tablespoon of honey and sprikle with sliced almonds. DELISH!!

Ok....off I go! Jhanai wants computer time.

PamPSM644
01-30-2005, 04:42 PM
Last I checked I was down to 205 but this last Fri and Sat were awful days and consoled myself with lots of comfort food. Now, Sunday, I"m back at it and feeling a wee bit better. I won't weigh myself till next Sunday. I bought a 3$ pedometer and dumped the pricy one in a drawer. Now I'm ready for my next walk.

PamPSM644
01-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Did my walk with the new pedometer. I did 3100 steps at a brisk pace. Does anyone know how many cas that might be? :chin:

RosieKate
01-31-2005, 02:01 PM
Pam - checkout www.fitday.com...I can't remember how many cals walking burns up but that site has lots of info on cal burning for all kinds of things. 3100 steps is about, oh, 2500 more than I've taken today :P

FrouFrou
02-01-2005, 02:06 PM
I just want to scream! If I could bend my leg behind me I would kick myself in the booty really good! I don't know why I can't get this down. I know it is hard but it seems I am making it harder than it should be and just not getting anywhere for all my efforts. I am not sure what my next move will be but for now like Katy I have turned to beliefnet again. Who knows, maybe I am just not ready like I thought I was. I get motivated and then lose it, not the weight but the motivation! Lol I refuse to quit of course but I have got to figure this out.

Anyway...that's how it's been going for me. Didn't weigh Monday because for some reason I woke up and just didn't care. Not even sure where that came from. I know I have either got to give it my all or just quit and be satisfied being overweight but right now I don't feel I am ready to do either. So....I need help for sure and am seriously considering WW meetings again because it was working when I had someone to answer to. I feel like I have to answer to you ladies but the difference is I am not seeing your face in front of me when I weigh in and you're not judging me. With the meetings I felt embarrassed if I didn't lose so maybe that's what I need right now. All I know is I need to figure this out. I've got to figure out why I can't stick with anything for long. I think if I can figure that out then I will have the key to success with this. What to do, what to do??? :shrug:

Jane
02-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Cristi - ((((HUGS)))) oh, if only I had the answer to that one. Do you see the date I joined 3FC? It's August, 1999. And this was their 2nd home! I actually have been a member since before that. And it took me until last year to get it right. And technically, I'm STILL not at goal! I think the answer lies deep within you. But I did come to understand this - if you aren't ready, you can't MAKE yourself be ready. And when you are ready, nothing will stop you. You'll know the difference without a doubt! But Cristi, if you never, ever lose a pound, so what? You are a good person, not overweight to where it's a threat to your health or anything, and you're still very, very pretty just the way you are. Never forget that, ok? A Jaded Lady's motto is "what I weigh is NOT who I am"!

Could you try thinking about it in a different way? Maybe try concentrating on eating healthily instead of losing. And keep going to that site - beliefnet.... and I truly think the answer will come to you. In the meantime, we're here for you!

FrouFrou
02-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Aaaah, thanks Jane! That really means a lot and I appreciate the kind words. I am going to try looking at it as eating healthier instead of losing. I have been trying also to look at smaller goals as opposed to the overall loss which seems overwhelming at times. One reason I got rid of the weight tracker. It just doesn't help me at all to see that I am going no where fast! I know I can do it, I know I can it's just a matter of doing it and sticking with it. Just can't get focused enough for some reason. I know I will figure it out, just hoping it is sooner rather than later. Anyway...thanks for everything. This thread and site are the main reasons I haven't quit and refuse to so thank you ladies for that. :thanks:

Jane
02-03-2005, 06:03 AM
Cristi - we love you, and wish you success! You're always there for us, too!

Katy, Marti, Pam - how's it going for you?

I am having serious problems getting enough exercise in!! Do you know they don't have any tapes at Walmart that target the waist? Or even mention the waist? Not that the rest of my body is fine, lol, but my waist is the worst. Good old menopause will do it everytime!!

I'm doing fine with the food and water, so I guess that's something to be glad about.

Later!

Marti
02-03-2005, 07:05 AM
Hi!

Oh Cristi--I agree w/Jane...every word she said. You are such a beautiful person inside and out!

I too am having issues.....but not w/exercise....eating. I think I'm going to do what you suggest Jane and focus on eating healthier rather than try to lose weight. My problem is my schedule and getting a decent meal in. I don't think I eat enough, and what I do eat....is not necessarily that health concious! But it's not too terrible either. I tend to snack more....Horrible.

That's how I'm doing.......need to put my life in order here!

Katiecat
02-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Cristi, hon... :grouphug: Don't know if you've noticed, dear, but I almost NEVER discuss weightloss -- even though, I'm here, so you'd think I probably have a weight problem, huh? Well, I've been stuck in a rut for I don't know how long. I've lost weight 3 times with WW, but then I've always hit a plateau, time crunch, get tired of paying the money every week and trying to work my schedule and family around it, and end up dropping. Even my husband doesn't know how much I weigh -- come to think of it, neither do I! I tend to fluctuate between *gulp* 265-280, size 20-24, depending on the clothes. I am about 5'10", and would be delighted if I could drop 100 lbs, but that figure seems so impossible! Heck, I'd be happy to see 220 again. My blood pressure has been going up, and I have high bp and diabetes in my family, so I know I have to take better care of myself. I detest having my picture taken (which is why I've never posted any here at all), and have promised myself if I can get down to 200 I will go to one of those Glamour Shots places and get pics done for Tim -- he always complains that he has no pics of me.

Jane is absolutely right -- you can't do it 'til you are ready, you can't make yourself be ready, and when you ARE ready, nothing will stop you! :cb: I've done this before, and I can feel those old feelings stirring again -- pulling on my boots, hitching up my pants, and getting ready to tackle my fat monster once again...and hopefully the SOB will stay DEAD this time... :lol:

One key seems to be finding a type of exercise you enjoy doing enough to keep doing it for fun. In case you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly the athletic type. I'm the sit-on-the-couch-curled-up-under-an-afghan-with-a-good-book-and-gourmet-chocolates-close-at-hand type. :lol: If I wasn't such a cow, I'd take belly dancing lessons because I just think it would be a blast (and Tim would get a kick out of it) :D I have some yoga tapes, and believe it or not, even some old Richard Simmons tapes (which my family laughs at and thinks are stupid), but I'm frankly too embarrassed to drag them out when my family is home. Right now would be a perfect time to start them, come to think of it, since both Mike and Tim have school Tues and Thurs nights.

It also seems to be key to find healthy low calorie low fat foods that you love, that satisfy you, so you can substitute them for unhealthy choices. Right now at work, I get stressed about 11 and about 3, and find myself at the vending machine punching the buttons for chocolate. I have to find a substitute that is good for me and break this cycle! Last time I successfully lost weight, about 50 lbs, I was practically living on Chinese Chicken Salad made with Bernsteins Light Fantastic Oriental dressing, and lowfat chocolate graham crackers :rofl:

This year, through the holidays, I just concentrated on not gaining weight. I didn't do nearly as much baking and candymaking as I usually do, and gave a lot of it away. I also gave up sugared soft drinks completely, and only drink diet sodas or plain iced tea with no sugar. Can't give up sugar and milk in my coffee, though! :coffee: Suppose I should try Splenda, since I like diet sodas just fine.

So, hon...I've spilled my guts, now you know the sordid details -- I am right there with you in can't-get-started land, and I am definitely a lot more overweight than you are, so quit kicking yourself!!! :coach: I do better when I have someone to "answer to" as well. Shall I answer to you? You can answer to me, if you want. :D Or we could just go get Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia and drown our sorrow in a great big vat of it. Actually, I think they have that flavor in frozen yogurt. Now, THAT I could deal with...

FrouFrou
02-03-2005, 01:33 PM
You ladies are the BEST! Thank you! :thanks: :grouphug:

Jane~WTG on sticking with it! :bravo: You have done an awesome job and I am proud of you.

Marti~right now I am having trouble with both exercise and the eating. UGH! it's not so much that I am overeating but it is what I am eating, and I am only getting the very minimum amount of exercise if that, don't even think it is enough to actually say I am getting any exercise.

Katiecat~aaaahhh, thank you for all that! :thanks: I am in a lazy mode and can't seem to get out of it. I want to lose weight but I guess not bad enough. I do have some tapes that I love doing and Richard Simmons is one of them. LOL I love it and also the WATP videos. It's just a matter of forcing myself to do them. As far as the food goes I don't buy junk so it's not around to munch on whenever. I eat three meals a day and usually have only one snack a day. I do buy chips and cookies, the low-fat Pringles, and Pretzels and when I get some I am counting them out because I got used to that going to WW. The cookies I buy are those new things, can't remember what they are called, the 100 calorie snack bags of oreos, choc. chip and the wheat thins. Also keep low-fat pudding in the fridge as well as applesauce. Lots of fruit etc. I cook a good, healthy meal for dinner and haven't even been finishing my plate lately. Once in a while I will get the 'real' cookies and eat some which I know is bad. :nono: I also started my 3 bottles of water. January I did fine with the two and towards the end I was drinking three so hoping to work to four by the end of this month. I only drink diet coke and if I have tea or even cereal I use sweet-n-low. My problem is lunch and sometimes breakfast eating out. I know when I go out to eat what I should be eating but sometimes it just doesn't appeal to me and I end up getting the wrong thing. I really do feel that is my biggest problem-eating out (which I feel I am addicted to) and not getting enough exercise. I don't know why I am addicted to the fast food. Sometimes I just get in moods where I feel I need it. I have all the right foods here in the house it's just when I walk out the door and I can't be a prisoner in my home for fear of getting fast food. So... I am trying to break that habit. Old habits are hard to break.

I know I can do anything I set my mind to, I have done it in the past. Like biting my nails, smoking (only did that for a short tho while a long time ago), even losing weight before. I've just got to get my mind set that it is okay to eat out as long as I eat the right foods and as long as it isn't five days a week which it isn't but it might as well be.

I am going to try as Jane suggested and focus on eating healthy and not so much losing weight. Even tho I have set a mini-goal for myself, something I really want and oh my goodness I just thought of what it is! It's a figurine that I really want but don't really need it! LOL I don't know...I know I will figure this out eventually. I don't plan on throwing in the towel, not yet anyway.

The funny thing is that every one around me is so willing to help me, you guys, my kids and DH. I am good at telling DH what not to eat and such and look at me! I think writing/typing this has really helped me think. Thank you so much! :grouphug:

PamPSM644
02-03-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm afraid to find out how it's going for me. I had a couple days of "pig-out". All emotional responces of course. Ate Chinese till I popped one day and snacked on crackers, chips,and other throw-in-your-mouth type comfort food another. Ya, I went back to diet food but am a little afraid to face the scale and see what damage I did. I will buck up on Sat and face the numbers. :(

Jane
02-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi ladies,

Cristi - I think you are doing what's best for you right now. I, too, don't get enough exercise now that my treadmill is gone.

Marti - how's it going?

Katy - were you not wanting the crock pot cookbook? It's no bother for me to send it... just let me know, ok?

Katiecat - it feels good to talk it all out, doesn't it? Btw, I don't exercise in front of my family, either, lol.

Pam - have you read Dr. Phil's book? I highly recommend it!

Although I am in maintenance, I cut back for most of the week so I could go over a little while in Indy yesterday. We ate at Johnny Rocket's and I haven't looked up the points yet for the patty melt I had. But it sure was good, lol.

Instead of the packaged salads that I had been buying, I bought a head of iceburg lettuce that Neal and Katie likes, and some dark green bibb lettuce that I love, and mixed it in a big Tupperware keeper. I'm hoping it will last a little longer before turning brown like the bagged stuff.

I'm making a Dreamsicle Cake for dessert tomorrow - 3 WW points for a nice-sized slice. Yum!

RosieKate
02-05-2005, 10:25 AM
I've needed to post here..but just lost track with all that's been going on around my house this week.

Haven't exercised as much as I should have, so today I hope to get an hour long walk in....
food's been ok...I'm down part of a pound..according to my brand spanking new WW scale that weighs to a tenth of a pound...

Like everyone else, I have been kind of hoping it would all come off faster, and its just happening the way it always does..slowly but surely. I doubt I'll be at goal by my 40th bday in June, but I do know I'll be on the right track

Jane - thanks for the offer, but I 'll pass for now...I looked at one in the library and the recipes didn't really jump out at me. It is kind of you to offer to send it.

Today I am going to try the General Tso's Chicken in the WW Take-Out Tonight cookbook. I have high hopes, because that is one of my favorite chinese dishes. Wish me luck!

FrouFrou
02-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Katy~hey, whatever the loss it IS a loss! So you can be happy about that. :bravo: It all adds up in the end. Not sure that was such good choice of words but ya know what I mean. Do you like your new WW scales? I almost bought some at Bed, Bath & Beyond when I was looking for new ones. May have to go get them afterall. My new ones are just as goofy as the old ones. I do know what ya mean though about it coming off slowly. It is very frustrating but at the same time I try to keep it in my mind that I didn't put this on over night so it's not going to come off overnight. We are rooting for ya though and wishing you tons of luck. :cheer: :lucky: :cheer:

Jane~I used to buy those packaged salads mainly for convenience but quit a while back. Just like the fresher taste of a head of lettuce. I need to put a little corner some where in the back yard so I can grow some cherry tomatoes. Love 'em but they are so expensive in the store for just a little bit. I am going to have to try the dreamsicle cake, maybe for DS#2 BD this month. Was going to make V a cake for Valentine's day, a heart shaped one but got him his favorite pie (coconut cream) instead. Just happened to see it so got it while I was thinking about it. Meant to make him one a while back and never did so...and I don't like it so I won't be eating it. And he knows to NOT buy me any chocolates for V-day. Anyway...glad you are doing well with maintaining. :bravo:

Pam~maybe sometimes we just need a binge under our belt to get it out of the way and then get back on track. Of course maybe that is my problem too-thinking a binge every now and then is fine. :dunno: You've come so far and I know you will get back on track.

Katiecat~I too won't exercise in front of the family. The exercise bike, treadmill (walking), the weights, yeah but the work-out videos? NO WAY! Although, DS got me on tape doing the WATP video one day and then another day I was walking on the treadmill and had my headphones on and was singing and all the while he was taping me! He thought that was so funny and whispered in the camera "That is the worst singing I have ever heard in my life!" I told him I was going to kill him but did leave it on there-thought it would be something to look back on and laugh at. Guess no American Idol for me! LOL

I have a plan ladies. Just not sure if I should set a date to reach the goal or leave it open. Anyway, starting Monday I am going to WI and see the damage done from the last week and am starting anew. I am going to and focus on eating healthy and not so much the loss itself so maybe setting a date to reach goal is not a good idea. So we will see how it goes. :crossed:

Wishing us all a good lossing week and much luck! :lucky:

Marti
02-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Hi girls---

Jane--to help keep your salad fresher longer.....put something on the bottom of your container to keep it fresh. I have a fresh spacer to put on the bottom of mine, but they suggest if you don't have one.....utensils work just as well! Lets what ever moisture go straight to the bottom and leaves the salad off.

I haven't WI today...will do that later and see how I'm doing. I'm off schedule (sleep wise ) again for the weekend! Hate it when that happens. Have been doing the Gazelle every day....but didn't yesterday and haven't yet today...will get on it tonight.

Cristi--Hurray for you!! I would leave it open for now......why put more pressure on to set a goal at a certain date? Any loss at any time is all good. I know you can do it!!

I have to clean up here soon to get to town. Going to do some bargain shopping. Get the most out of $25 that I got for my birthday. Let's see what I can do!

Jane
02-06-2005, 07:36 AM
Happy Super Bowl Sunday!!

Katy - oic about the cookbook - no poblem at all! YAY :cp: for the part-of-a-pound gone!!! Any loss is a good loss, right? How'd the chinese chicken turn out? Hope it was yummy.

Cristi - have you ever tried grape tomatoes? They are so good! Just a tiny hint of sweetness to them. Sometimes I cut them in half, fill a salad plate with them in one layer, and drizzle some Light Done Right dressing over. Fills me up and is very points-friendly. Way to go, having a new plan. Sounds like a good idea. Tell your son I'll send $$ for a copy of that video, lol.

Marti - thanks for the salad tip! Are you still liking the Gazelle ok? I decided to just do my videos since I don't know where I would store any equipment. I am truly space-challenged, lol. Notice how fast I filled in the space where the treadmill was! But to tell you the truth, I was sorry I put it in the playroom in the first place. It really took away from the kid-friendly atmosphere, ya know?

Today will be a big challenge! Super-bowl Sunday with party foods! I avoided it like the plague last year while I was still losing, but am more up to it this year.

Hope your Sunday is a good one!

PamPSM644
02-07-2005, 12:52 PM
:dancer: Well,who'd-a-thought? I average 3100 steps at every walk, I do it as briskly as I can,and each morning I get better on the time it takes to do it.My wonderful Walmart pedometer says this is 1.45 miles . Ha,at least with the walk I'm cooking. :flame:

FrouFrou
02-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Jane~yeah, I have tried the grape tomatoes and didn't/don't care for them. Ummm, don't think so...no one is going to see that video! :lol:

Marti~glad you are really liking the gazelle!

Pam~WTG on your walking! You are doing great!

Ms. Katy~how are you doing?

Well, I weighed in today and have to say I am very pleased with what I saw. Of course I almost forgot and weighed with half my clothes on. With the way I have been caring on I am up a 1/2 pound so I am relieved. I really was afraid to get on the scales for fear of a 2-3 pound gain or even more. So today is the day I start over ladies. Wish me luck. Reward here I come! I am going to go change the weight tracker, start it at my starting weight today...I like them but I don't like the fact that it doesn't show/accept 1/2 pounds.

caldollgrl
02-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Hi you all, well I did I went ot the gym. Duke came with me and waited in the car while I had my workout. He hates for me to leave him at home so during the winter I let him come with me when ever possible. So when I was done with my workout we did go for a good walk in the rain around the shopping plaza. Hoping that since I broke the ice and went today I will continue. I am usually pretty good about it once it is worked into my rutine. Tomorrow we will going hiking at the bark park and I will try to hit the gym on the way home.

Did not feel much like cooking tonight so I made DH and myself smoked salmon and feta omletes for dinner and italian sausgae and nutella sandwhiches for the kids.

Hope everyones plan for exercise and food went well today, it is a boost to acually achieve your goals for the day. Not something I accomplish that often. I make a list just so I can see what I don't really need to do and cross stuff off or get so exhusted looking at that I do nothing.(LOL)

Jane...Patty melt, my absolute favorite!! I even remember the resturant where I had my first one.

Hope everyones evening goes well. Thanks for letting me express my joy over today.

Doreen

RosieKate
02-08-2005, 08:41 AM
HI gals
WTG Cristi! I like how you have set your tracker for you mini-goal...that's a good strategy. I've been doing ok...got a new scale that shows my weight to a tenth of a pound, so I see what you mean about the trackers.

I'm still struggling to get in a rhythm of losing...It's frustrating. I know you are right when you say it took a long time to gain it all, it will take a long time to lose it all. I just need to take a deep breath and stay positive everyday. I'm still getting the spiritual weight loss newsletter everyday from beliefnet and it helps to read that and start the day off with a good attitude and sense of purpose.

Today.....
I planned out my dinner menus for the week
I am going to walk or get on the stepper
and I think I am also going to get back into writing down all my food again. The points tracker thingy I have is nice but I need to plan out my day on paper...helps me stay OP

FrouFrou
02-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Day one went well for me. Drank a lot more water than I have in months which is good for me. I will be drinking lots more today because I am out of diet coke and the weather is bad so I refuse to get out in it. Just glad I have lots of bottled water on hand. Maybe I'll make some tea later...:dunno: trying to avoid the caffeine.

Woke up today and decided that i am in a rut and this may be contributing to me not losing. I have kind of given up on the way I look as far as fixing myself up daily. I have gotten into such a funk that if I don't go anywhere, most days I will lounge around in my pjs all day. Even tho V doesn't mind I know deep down it has to bother him...wouldn't you think? Even tho he says he loves me just the way I am. When we were first together I always fixed myself up and the last two or three years it seems half the time I am in jammies, or so it seems. Of course part of that I think is because he works so much and is gone a lot so I kinda got it in my head, what's the point. I know getting up in the morning and fixing myself up makes me feel better about myself. So I have decided to get back in the habit of fixing myself up every day. No jammies once I get up. I really can't believe how I have let myself go. I did cut my hair last week, not much but enough to where I have to wear it down. I grew tired of just pulling it back and twisting it up, which is fine once in a while but not all the time. Also, dyed it and must say it looks and so much better.

Anyway...Katy I definitely can see your point. I get so frustrated trying to lose I just quit. I don't actually quit but take a break and then start again, take a break, start again...I too need to think positive-my biggest problem. I'm always looking for that quick fix too knowing that there is no quick fix. I let myself go shortly after meeting V and I am not sure why. I took care of myself after DH#1 passed away. Not so much because I was looking for a man because I wasn't. Maybe it was in the back of my mind I don't know. But I was at a weight I was pleased with and felt good about myself. Not that I am blaming V for anything because it is all me. Just got comfortable and let myself go. Now it is hard as heck to get back on track. I agree also about beliefnet...a GREAT way to start the day! I know you will get the rhythm soon and then watch out!

Doreen~WTG on getting to the gym and getting the walk in.

Hope everyone else is doing fine.

Jane
02-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say I did it! I found a place to put a Gazelle, so I bought one. (see what you started, Marti, lol!!) Neal and I rearranged the living room furniture, got rid of an extra chair, and so it isn't too visible when you come in the house. It will be left unfolded, ready to use, and I'll pull it in front of the TV to use. Not the most ideal place, but I am willing to give up something like that for my health.

Pam - yay for all the walking!! After being limited from the MS, don't you just feel great about that?

Cristi - yay for not gaining what you thought you would have!! V sounds like my Neal. Whatever makes me happy, makes him happy. But you probably would feel better if you fixed up. Putting on my "face" and a decent outfit can always make me feel better. I get in a rut, too, though, so I know just what you mean.

Doreen - I love salmon, too. Have you ever cooked it with a little teriyaki sauce and honey on it? Very good - like Applebee's. It's good that I live so far away from Johnny Rocket's, because the patty melt could be a problem, lol.

Katy - sounds like you have a good thing going, mentally. A positive attitude surely helps.

Marti - how's it going for you?

ttfn,

FrouFrou
02-09-2005, 02:57 PM
WTG Jane! You ladies are making me want a Gazelle!! I think having it in the living room is a fine idea. Before we moved we had our treadmill in the living room and you couldn't see it. There was a little bit of an entry way by the front door, more like a little cubbie hole, so we put it there and it faced the tv. We never used the front door because we had a circular drive that went around the back and everyone came to the back door so it was out of the way and hidden. Glad now though it is in it's own room. Now maybe if I put a tv in there I might use it more. :D The room is in the basement and the only one that doesn't have a window so there is nothing to look at. Need to get some pictures on the wall too, maybe that would help.

Today is going well also. Getting that water down. I think starting with two bottles and doing that for the month of January did make it a habit and now I've added the third and really it isn't too bad. Still don't like water but I am getting used to drinking it everyday. Now to work on the eating healthy and making it a habit. Then on to exercise. I know a lot of the laziness is the weather and it being so cold and gloomy. So can't wait till spring is here and I can get outdoors.

Hope everyone is doing fine.

Jane
02-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Cristi - having a TV to watch while exercising makes all the difference! The time passes by quickly when you're caught up in a show or a DVD. YAY for you, drinking all the water! It sure helps the weight come off easier. Don't know why, but it does for me anyway. The Gazelle I got was at Walmart for 97 bucks, and is just what I was looking for. One thing I like is how, when you lean forward, it really works the back of my arms. Maybe I can get these bat wings reduced, lol.

Hello to the other losers, lol.

Ciao, ladies!

Marti
02-10-2005, 06:37 AM
It's been a little bit since I've been over here.......sorry...

How am I doing? Well I'm happy to say I'm down ONE little pound!! Which makes me smile BIG!!! :D :D :D

I haven't changed my tracker yet though....waiting until the weekend to make sure I'm still at 144. Amazing!!

I will check in more often here.

Jane
02-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Marti - Yay for the one pound!!! And what's even better, you're toning, too!!

FrouFrou
02-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Marti~not sure how I missed that you lost a pound, oops! :bravo:

Jane~I saw the gazelle and they are the same price here. It looks like it would be fun to do. I agree, a tv does make it easier to exercise and makes the time go by faster. When I have no music or anything on I find myself always looking at the timer and thinking, geez, it's only been 5 mns.! So definitely need a tv in that room.

I forgot to weigh in on Monday morning. Got caught up in the days events that it slipped my mind till after lunch. Was going to WI this morning but thought I would go ahead and wait till Monday, even though it is killing me. The food is okay, could be doing better I know. Still trying to get in an exercise routine, it will come, slowly but surely.

So how is everyone else doing?

RosieKate
02-16-2005, 08:15 AM
Chiming in a little late here..
but Yay for the one pound down, Marti! I've been fighting my one little pound for weeks,so I know how great it feels to just get one off....never to return!

All this Gazelle talk is giving me ideas...it looks like something I would like. However, I already have the folding stepper and really no room for another piece of equipment, but when I breaks...the gazelle is next.

1st day of boot camp went alright. The workouts are frequent and somewhat vigorous, but since I don't have a treadmill I'm just doing what I normally do. I don't know if I'll be able to squeeze in the second workout... maybe I can work up to it. On the boot camp, for two days you do two workouts in a day. They aren't long, so we'll see. I thought I'd just focus on 6 days a week for starters....

The food plan is pretty simple, but it involves cutting out bread for a month.then you can add back some whole grains..I did it yesterday. I am going to do it becasue I consistently notice that sugar ( white food, hence the bread) and alcohol are major triggers, and this involves cutting it all out for twelve weeks. they don't call it boot camp for nothing!

Wish me luck
Katy

Marti
02-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Ok girls..I'm still working out on the gazelle. And I have this friend at work that when she see's me eating some "no-no" foods....she tells me "That's an extra 10mins on the Gazelle Marti!" :lol: which actually helps me stay on my toes!!

I've been reading up on how to dress to where you flatter your body rather than make it look fat.....so think that's where I"m getting comments on my looks lately.....and I'll take that!!! (I had two different women at different times at work tell me that I look like I'm losing weight!-----now,....if only I can convince my scale the same thing!)

How is everyone else coming along?

FrouFrou
02-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Well, tomorrow is WI...maybe this time I will remember. :lol: Haven't done so good this past week though. So a little afraid to step on those scales. :goodscale I did however get weighed my first visit to the chiro last week, EGADS! :Yikes: Almost fell over too! Actually, I didn't give it much thought because I was fully dressed of course. Had a heavy sweatshirt, shirt under it, my shoes and socks on etc....and I know that was at least another 5 pounds which would have been about right. Going to really work harder this week on both eating and exercise. I've had the cravings like I have before TOM but so far no sign of Auntie Flo. :crossed: But then if I miss this month next month may be worse, or I could be real lucky and not have a TOM next month either. :lucky: Time to get my sh*% together regardless.

Started the Dr. Phils book on CD yesterday. It does good to hear him read the book. I think it sinks in more. There are 5 cd's and then a cd for the computer to print out the food list, inspiration, exercise tips and a few other things. Just don't have any paper at the moment to print it out now. I'm curious as to what all is on there. Didn't really want to look until I get paper to print it.

Hope everyone else is doing fine.

Jane
02-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Hiya ladies,

Katy - how's Bootcamp with Oprah going? I know I could never cut out a whole group of food, but yay to those of you who can!! At least you get to add in the whole grains. Is this more doable than Core?

Marti - just so you'll know, I've adopted your regimen for the Gazelle. Using it every weekday, off on weekends. Btw, I do think how we dress makes a difference. Now that I am in Spring colors, I think I look bigger than when I was wearing black, navy, maroon, etc. for the winter. But I do love the new sherbet colors and will just have to look bigger! Although I am not actually at goal, I like myself this way, and will stay here. Now if I can just tone up!!

Cristi - I wish I could forget to get weighed, lol. I do it every morning now that I'm in maintenance. The scales is sitting out in the bathroom, very visible, and we've gone from being mortal enemies to quite good friends, lol. Hope Auntie Flo loses your address. :D She lost mine and boy am I ever glad!! If anything could motivate a person, I think Dr. Phil's voice is it! His quotes run through my head daily, and that's no joke.

Hope the others are doing well....

As I told Marti, I'm doing pretty good with the Gazelle. And as nicer weather gets here, I'll be doing more and more outdoors. Neal and I are going to continue the road clean up, and that truly is good exercise!

TTFN,

RosieKate
02-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi all -
Ok good news/bad news. The bad news is a sort of confession. My new WW scale that I got two weeks ago said I was 5 lbs heavier than my last scale.... My last scale was a piece of cr*p, so I made peace with the fact that I was heavier than I thought. Well, I never changed my ticker, maybe out of embarassment. Now the good news is that over the last two weeks - I have lost those pounds and now the ticker tells the God's honest truth!

Cristi - I think listening to Dr. Phil is the way to go. I had a hard time with reading his book, because I felt it was poorly written. Then I realized he was just writing like he talks.. so that made it easier to take.

Jane - I think a person could do the Core and boot camp together pretty easily - just have to eliminate all the refined carbs ( white foods) including sugar. Don't know what that means with regard to Splenda. Personally, I have to cut it all out..anything sugary whether fake or not is a major trigger, as is alcohol. The boot camp is really helpful to me as I have realized over the last few months that my diet is perfect for maintenance, but if I want to lose, I am going to have to get aggresive with my triggers. I have not eliminated bread completely, but have limited it to some homemade whole grain breads I made and I only ate 2 servings a day for the last two days. Of the weight loss I just mentioned, 2.5 pounds of it came this last week when I started boot camp.

Also - I haven't been able to do the double -up days ( the days where you do two workouts) I just haven't been able to make the time. I have done cardio everyday and resistance most days.

Marti - Been meaning to tell you that I love the "What Not to Wear" book! I got so many great ideas for dressing more attractively from that book. I love how they give ideas that can fit any budget or body type. I wanted to let you know that I noticed that the authors were on Oprah last week on a show about dressing thinner. I missed the show, but I bet it's on the website. I'll probably check it out sometime today.

Gorgeous weather here today---so I am going to get out and enjoy it...have a great weekend everyone.

Marti
02-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Good afternoon ladies--

Katy--I went to the Oprah bootcamp and signed up just to see what all was involved. Oprah looks fantastic and I would love to be toned up like she is. I hope it's a workout for you!!

Cristi--I forgot to WI yesterday, wasn't even on my mind! But when I do remember is when I actually get on the scale. So maybe later on today or tomorrow morning (since morning is best) I will WI. I think books on tape are great! You can take them anywhere!! I had a book on tape about the war once that I listened to on the way to work when I was at Sony.....people started to wonder why I was sad after awhile.....

Jane--You should check out those British Girls "What not to wear". They have a book out they really tell you how you should dress to make you look like you lost weight even when you haven't. As I have found out....if your big busted, a v neck top w/sleeves flatters you more than a mock neck shoulderless top!! And after reading thier book......I realize that I am dressing the wrong way. And so a girl at work gave two tops that shrunk on her, and I wore those to work...and that's when I got the compliments! Amazing. So slowly I will be changing my wardrobe over the year!!

I've been keeping up w/the gazelle. I'm thinking that on Tuesdays.....if the weather provides sun, I may start riding my bike to go visit my grandpa. He's only 2miles away and for most of the ride I can be on the bike path that starts just down the road from me. I need to get a variety of exercises going. Don't want to bore myself w/the gazelle......as of right now, I love that thing. And I don't want to ruin a good thing! :D

Keep up the good work girls.

RosieKate
02-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Just bumping to keep this going .....
Not much to add, I slipped up a little and had some pizza yesterday, but other than that I am doing ok with the boot camp food guidelines. I am happy to have cut out sugar and (most) refined carbs. My cravings have decreased significantly, I have more energy, etc. Too bad sugar is such a bugaboo for me, 'cause I really love it!

I am hoping to make this a double workout day..we'll see if I can swing it. I am thinking that I can take L for walk this afternoon then sometime today I have to get out the stepper and squeeze in #2. Wish me luck

FrouFrou
02-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Didn't WI this morning, not really into it for some reason. I think I get obsessed with those darn scales and I really do do better when I don't weigh as much. So I think I am going to change my WI to every two weeks instead of every week. Dont feel like I gained any so should be fine. We's see how that goes.

Can't believe that tomorrow is a new month, WOW, March all ready! Up to 4 bottles of water. I must say I have surprised myself by sticking with this so far. Apparently making it a habit. I have been drinking my three bottles everyday and I am proud of that. On to four...

Now to get the eating and exercise down. I am confident that it will all fall into place soon enough. I think that's where I failed before, trying to do everything at one time rather than work on one thing at a time. So next I am going to concentrate on the exercise part of it and make that a habit. I have been listening to Dr. Phil and making notes. Also, going to make a list to post in the kitchen about exercise, food, water and not eating past a certain time and such. That helped me before. Anyway...that's how I am doing.

How is everyone else doing?

Marti
02-28-2005, 02:52 PM
Hey there...WI on Saturday...didn't want to since I'm dealing w/TOM and I'm having a rough week w/it. But I WI the same. That's good.

Cristi--I think it takes just what you're doing to make things work. Starting w/one thing at a time. I've been trying to do the same. I've been doing my gazelle on week days ever since I've gotten it...and now, I decided it's time to work on my portion control w/my food. One thing at a time. I think it does become overwhelming when you try to do everything at once.

I also think weighing in every two weeks is a good idea. I may do that myself!

Katy--How is Oprah's bootcamp coming along?? I signed up to get idea's...but haven't actually checked out the site yet. keep us posted.

Jane
03-01-2005, 06:12 AM
Hi ladies,

YAY to all of you for the progress you have made!

My trip to Evansville was so nice! As you know, I saved up points for a few days to splurge on a meal while there. I did just great, except for one thing. Later in the day, I had a cookie that wasn't planned, and mmmm, it was good! :D It was a strawberry shortcake one, and probably several points. But with all the walking we did, I think I probably worked it off, lol.

See you at chit chat!

MommaBear04
03-01-2005, 01:38 PM
So with today the start of a new month I have started on the four bottles of water. It seems like soooo much to me though. Of course today it won't be a problem because I have no diet coke and don't plan on going to the store. We'll see how tomorrow goes though. Diet coke is my coffee :coffee: in the morning and without one to start the day mommabear is going to be grouchybear! Can't exercise as I did something to my back but I am moving around. Hurting or not I can't just sit around and do nothing, but do need to be careful. Even missed my chiro appt. May be able to go for a decent walk by Friday, I am hoping anyway. Anyway, that's what's up with me.

Jane~I don't think one cookie will hurt you, especially since you have done so well.

Marti~It does become overwhelming when doing too much. I think working on one thing at a time will be the key for me in succeeding. I know I will eventually get this weight off, don't ask me how I know but I just feel that I will.

FrouFrou
03-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Still same old, same old. Getting the four bottles of water down and a little bit of exercise in. Also, listening to Dr. Phil's book on cd as well as referring back to his book. It really is basically the same but it is a little different for me with him reading to me, which is a good thing.

How is everyone else doing? Katie, with bootcamp and Marti, did you ever join the gym at work?

V asked how I was coming along with the 10 pound mini-goal and how close I am to getting that reward. he said he should buy me the watch and dangle it in front of me, tease me a little. I told him that wouldn't work because he would just end up giving it to me! LOL He would too. Anyway the whole point is to earn it so I am working on that. And that's about all I have for now. Hoep everyone else is doing fine with their programs and weightloss.

Marti
03-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Cristi--No, I didn't join the gym at work. After getting the gazelle I thought I would hold off on that until they move to the sony building and I'm more comfortable where it's at. (lame excuse I know) but also to save a little more money for a little while. I know that $8 is cheap, but it adds up.
I am getting results off the gazelle....I was noticing that my weight isn't changing.....but the behind is losing it's double butt!! :D It's starting to round out more than be flabby! So I was thrilled to be checking that out. So I keep on trucking along on that gazelle even when I'm not in the mood to do it. :dizzy: I just keep thinking of how it IS going to make a difference even if it's a slow process.

How is everyone else coming along?

RosieKate
03-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Well, boot camp is trucking along so-so this week - just haven't had time to exercise as much as I should. I just can't seem to fit in 8 workouts in a week anyway, but I do what I can. I get 5-6 in for sure. I didn't lose lst week, but I started TOM a couple of days ago - and I was very bloated. I am counting my calories this week and keeping it between 1300 and 1500 - :crossed:

The biggest benefit I have had so far is how great I feel since I have cut out sugar. I just had no idea it was affecting me like that. I was having routine insomnia, which I was finding very frustrating. Since cutting out sugar, I have been sleeping SO much better. Sugar was triggering some binge eating and snacking - it's just a taste I have a hard time controlling - it's like it flips on some kind of switch. Well, I am controlling my snacking urges MUCH better now. DH says that some of the effects could also be due to not eating for 3 hours before bedtime, so maybe it's not all due to the sugar purge. I didn't think I ate all that much after 7, but maybe I did kind of unconsciously via BLTs.

I cannot for the life of me cut out grains completely, as she suggests for the first month. I'm doing great on other "white" food.

Marti and Cristi - I am glad to read that your programs are going well for you.

Cristi - I think a 10 lb reward is a great idea - but just don't let V get it for you, lol! What a sweetie. I have to say my DH is like that - any thing I want he'd figure out a way to get it for me - even if we couldn't afford it. I've stopped telling him I want things - out of fear for our budget :p I take that back. I did tell him I want a diamond band for an upcoming anniversry; either the 15th ( the next one) or the 20th. I have a wedding band that is two bands soldered together. One is a plain gold band that belonged to my great-granmother and the other is a gold band with an etched design that David gave me when we married. I want the ring of diamonds (tasteful small ones, of course ;) ) to put in the middle of the two bands. He perked up, and I could see the wheels a turnin'......

Marti - glad the gazelle is working for you... have you been taking measurements? that could be a great way to keep track of your progress. I've noticed I'm wearing a smaller size, even though I am not losing much (hopefully that will change) round butts are good - gravity bad, lol

Ciao

FrouFrou
03-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Marti~know what ya mean and it isn't a lame excuse. I think trying to fit a workout in your schedule would be hard anyway. But good you are doing the gazelle like crazy and seeing results, that is always a plus.

Katy~I have heard that from quite a few people when they cut out sugar. I'm not sure I could cut it out completely though-I know me! Glad you are doing fine with boot camp. Oh I did tell V not to buy anything! I told him this is a reward and do not get it until I have accomplished my first mini-goal. Your wedding rings sound beautiful and I bet someone gets a diamond anniversary band this June. ;) I think that sounds really pretty with a diamond band in the center. And you are lucky to have gotten your grandmas ring, that makes it even more special.

I am going to cut my calories some this week and see what happens. Plus exercise, exercise, exercise! I feel like I have to do more at this point. I know it is not going to come off as fast as I put it on but I feel like I have stalled. So we will see...

Hope everyone has a great week!

Marti
03-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Afternoon ladies--

Well I decided to hop on the scale today and I was happy to see it down a pound. So I'm getting closer to the 130's!

Cristi--The gazelle is doing great for me. I wasn't sure at first when I first saw it advertised on tv if it would really do anything, but it is. And I'm happy w/the toning going on in the behind! :D Now to do something that works on my lower belly!! I hate that area!

Katy--I haven't done any measurments...which I should. I feel better losing size rather than seeing it on the scale. I may do that tomorrow morning.

It's the weekend and it's a NO GAZELLE day. I just made up my mind that my weekends are for other things. As long as I get on there everyday during the week I'm fine. If I start slacking there, then I'm going to have to re-evaluate what I'm doing. But so far so good.

Off I go to chitchat!

FrouFrou
03-07-2005, 03:07 PM
WTG Marti! :bravo:

I didn't weigh this morning because I was running a little late to get to my appt. at Hyundai. Almost, didn't go but decided I need to, would just have to go later so why not now and get it done. Anyway, I don't feel fatter so I guess all is okay. :shrug: Although, drinking all this water kinda makes me feel bloated, makes me feel like a :moo: I really don't know how anyone drinks more than 64 oz. a day. I feel like I am pushing it with that, and let's not mention all the trips to the bathroom! I can drink a bottle of water and go 3 or 4 times. I know some people have said the trips lessen once your body gets used to it. My question is how long is that? Anyway...blah, blah, blah...

Hope everyone has a losing week!

FrouFrou
03-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Haven't posted here in a while as I am not doing so good. I got on the scales yesterday and OMG! I was so surprised to see that I had gained. Not sure why I was surprised though as I haven't been trying to lose, haven't been trying to do much of anything as far as weight loss. Haven't been drinking my water either the last few days. Now I have MORE to lose! Oh well, I am not going to dwell on it. What's done is done. Not even sure where I will go from here. Need to go change my ticker thingy but won't be changing it except once a month. Hopefully it will be in the minus instead of the plus. Anyway...hope everyone is doing fine with their plans/programs.

Neets
03-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Hi ladies,

I just thought I'd pop in here and let everyone know a little about me. I am 36 years old and the mother of an 11 month old. I live in Ontario Canada and work in the Electrical Sales Industry. I am currently on Maternity leave until April 4th.

I have had weight issues my whole life. I have literally tried every magic pill (Hint;; there ain't one) and every gadget known to man. Including a little peice of plastic that fit in your ear to reduce weight. (That one falls under the category of "They saw me coming") So just before I got married I went on this really low calorie diet that included Vitamin b Shots and lost about 55 lbs which I managed to keep off for 2 years. Then I got pregnant and gained back the 55 pounds +++. I am now 11 months post partum and 225 pounds. So...... In the past year I decided that I would lose weight by breastfeeding. DID NOT. So then I tried South Beach. Couldn't stick to it past 3 days. So since January I decided to try a new approach. Maybe you've heard of it. It really is supposed to work.

Something called Diet and Exercise. I know, I know, it sounds strange considering it involves no magic pills and not one single potion, spell or plastic earpiecem but really it's supposed to work. So.... Since January, I have lost 4 pounds, however, I should note that I have really been focused more on this since the beginning of February after my hubby and I returned from Puerto Vallarta.

So that's me. I have lots and lots more baggage, but this is all stuff that I've decided to leave behind, so I am not even going to get into it. I am just going to focus on healthier eating and exercise every day.

I have a dog whom I try to walk everyday, and I have some gym equipment in my basement. I have a Ski-machine (remember those) and a bike, as well as a home gym. So the only problem I face in getting to the gym is passing the kitchen to get there. (Ha Ha)

Good to meet you all.

Jane
03-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Anita - yep, I'm real familiar with Diet and Exercise, lol. Especially Diet. Stay around here and we'll help you get through it, ok?

Cristi - wish I could do something to help you out of the slump! I know how you're feeling because I've been there many, many times. Vacation will be a challenge for both of us!

Marti - YAY for the loss! Plus, you've GOT to be going down in inches, with all the Gazelling you do!

Katy - glad you're feeling better w/o the sugar. I find that saving a couple of points for a bedtime snack helps me sleep better. We're all different, though.

Just a quick one here. I've been walking outside since the weather is better. Still not warm out, but not so cold. I do love walking outdoors where the air is clean and fresh, and I always take my cell phone, just in case. Might close up the Gazelle until we hit rainy weather. I've been trying to cut back a little more since I'm going on vacation soon. So far, so good!

Jane
03-17-2005, 08:51 AM
Exercise your way on over to Weight Loss and Toning Talk #4!! See you there.....