100 lb. Club - Today is the day.

View Full Version : Today is the day.

howie6267
01-28-2005, 08:10 AM
I'm up early. Could not sleep. I don't normally get up until 10 or 11 because I work second shift. Not that it has anything to do with what I'm saying. LOL

Anyway I've decided just this morning that to day is the day I need to get off my but and take the plunge. I'm joining our local YMCA. I need to start exercising and I really want to start a swiming routine. So here I go.

Inca's Momma
01-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Wooohoooo Howie! You go man! I'm glad you decided to do this for yourself. :strong:

slimmingsi
01-28-2005, 08:42 AM
before i became a pauper i used to be a member of a exec gym in town that opend at 5.45am so i'd be up there in the pool at 6 and swim for an hour and a half before going to work used to feel really great for it to.

Ivanna B. Skinny
01-28-2005, 09:02 AM
YAY HOWIE!!! :strong: :tread:

I wish there was a YMCA around my area!

frenchiepolarbear
01-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Good decision!!!

You will see that swimming will not only help you get in shape, but you will also arrive at work much more relaxed……

If you need any advice on swimming, let me know as I’ve learned how to swim before I learned how to walk…..

Have a nice week-end!!!!

Charbar
01-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Good for you Howie!! I love the Y - used to be a member. There are so many great things to do there!!

Dana

howie6267
01-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm back and I really did it this time. I have my membership card now. Frenchie I to learned to swim at an early age. We used to have a pool in our backyard when I was growing up. You could not keep me out of it. They have open swim in the heated pool from 11:30 to 1:00 pm. So I would like to do that and maybe some weight machines that won't mess with my back. I have to be at work at 4:00pm so I can hit the Y at the slow times.

dragonwoman64
01-28-2005, 11:30 AM
That's awesome. Congrats, Howie, from a newbie here.

I'm still too chicken to join a gym, doh! And we have about 5 gyms, including a curves and a Y, in a 5 block radius from our apartment! double doh!

I'm working towards that.

I'm happy for you.

Jillegal
01-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Bravo Howie - good for you! :cp: Swimming is such a great "all over" exercise and I'm sure you'll experience the benefits immediately! Just imagine - you'll be losing even faster (not only pounds, but inches too), strengthening and toning those muscles, feeling that "all pumped up feeling" you get after a good workout, and all without irritating your back. Bet it won't be long now before you break into the "200s"!! :dancer:

barbygirl43
01-28-2005, 12:39 PM
that is great howie. WTG!!! :bravo:

heather_dw
01-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Wow Howie!

That is great news.
Swimming sounds so much fun. It isn't very often that you fomd something that is fun AND great exercise!

lessofsarahtolove
01-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Yay, Howie!! I'm so happy you're doing this!!! :cp: :cp: :cp: So when are you going back?

Amanda Panda
01-28-2005, 06:06 PM
That's really great Howie!

I'm a swimmer too and you will find that it will help to tone you up like nothing else can!

Well done for deciding to do something, then doing it! You are an example to us all!

Love Amanda x

nelie
01-28-2005, 07:24 PM
Great idea! I haven't done swimming in a while but when I do, sometimes I use a kick board so that when my arms get tired, I can still continue swimming.

funniegrrl
01-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Yay Howie -- good for you!

Doesn't it feel good to have those moments of clarity and kick into action? I love that!

Sheila53
01-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Excellent, Howie!! I love being a Y member, and hope you will, too.

Now you should join the Weekly Move Your Kaboose thread! :D

howie6267
01-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Sarah I will be starting regular on Monday. I plan to go daily. Kimberley I think is more of the mindset of 3 times a week but I really want to exercise at least 5 times a week.

Br00klyn
01-30-2005, 04:44 PM
YAY HOWIE!! :cheer:

I can't believe I somehow missed this post.. Good for you! You'll feel great and excercising has soooo many positive benefits! I love swimming too - we currently have an indoor pool in my apartment building and its fantastic!

Keep us updated on how it works out for you..

SuchAPrettyFace
01-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Congratulations, Howie!!! :cheers:

howie6267
01-31-2005, 01:07 PM
I got up at 9:30 to go to the YMCA today. That is the equivlent of the rest of you day shift people getting up at 4 or 5 AM.

I did laps in the pool for an hour. Then I went into the gym and did the bike for 10 minutes and found I was just to pooped to do anything else. I found the exercise in the pool to be really good. I think I will stick with the pool from now on. Maybe when I build up some stamina and lose some more weight I will start doing some weight training. For now the pool is good. It does not hurt my back or knees and I really got a good workout.

slimmingsi
01-31-2005, 02:13 PM
good one mate i'll do you a deal you swim the atlantic i'll meet you on the coast and buy you a beer lol

howie6267
01-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Two beers and you got a deal. After all I'll need one for the trip back.

teapotdynamo
01-31-2005, 08:52 PM
Congrats, Howie -- I'm so proud of you for knowing what you wanted to do and going for it! Swimming is so much fun that it rarely seems like exercise to me, and plus you can't even feel yourself sweating. I bet once you've been exercising a while, you'll notice your metabolism get faster, too.

Again, congrats on your new membership!

howie6267
01-31-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks Jennifer. Your doing awsome yourself.

Sandi
02-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Howie!! That is great. I think getting your exercise first thing is really the best!! Great Job!!!! :D

slimmingsi
02-02-2005, 07:33 AM
good tip dont' eat untill 1 hour after you finished excersising i could explain why but it would get very boring lol but you burn more fat that way

Gardenwife
02-02-2005, 06:47 PM
How did I miss this post?? He's gone swimming every day this week so far. I went Monday and did a few laps (nothing like he can crank out - the guy's amazing, I tell ya) and rode the recumbant bike for 10 minutes. Yesterday I learned how to use the machines which concentrate on the upper body, rode the bike 10 minutes, then took a short swim. It's cool seeing people of all ages and sizes there.

Slimmingsi, bore us, please. I assumed it was good to eat before working out because it would fuel the body. Is it better to let body fat serve as fuel?

SwimGirl
02-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Slimmingsi, I have to disagree about not eating right after a workout. After an 1.5 hour swim practice I would often go do yoga to loosen up my body and if I didn't eat I'd get really sick. A banana was the perfect snack, helps that "omg my legs and arms and abs are jelly feeling". Wouldn't it make more sense to eat higher fat foods after working out BECAUSE you are burning more fat? ;) I'm kidding of course..

-Aimee

Gardenwife
02-03-2005, 03:53 PM
So how many of y'all eat before you work out?

slimmingsi
02-04-2005, 06:19 AM
aimee if you do yoga straight after you would get sick without eating and your possibly overloading your body us mere mortals can't :D training first thing on an empty stomarch for at least 40 mins causes the body to tap fat reserves to fuel itself. and this fat burning continues for upto 1 hour after excersise this is where the most fat is burnt after 1 hour the body turns catabolic and starts to eat muscle for fuel in order to save fat reserves thinking it is in a time of famine. thats why its best to get up early excersies then eat after the long you can leave it upto 1 hour the better. my current healthy breakfast is porridge and honey.

2frustrated
02-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Ooooh Si, I'm a porridge convert too, although I like a banana in mine rather than the honey! I'm sweet enough already ;)

I'm currently reading a sports nutrition book and haven't reached a conclusion about exercising on an empty stomech, but I have read somewhere that it burns more fat if you do it in the morning on an empty stomach. Exercise that is... :o

Gardenwife
02-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Probably other exercise, too. Don't tell Howie this! ;)

barbygirl43
02-04-2005, 12:09 PM
I have been exercising first thing in the morning and then just before I shower will have a boiled egg and watered down orange juice.

SwimGirl
02-04-2005, 01:25 PM
I don't have time in the morning to exercise, so I just fit it in whenever I can now. And I never ever eat a healthy breakfast, mostly my breakfast consists of a muffin and a HUGE coffee, eaten standing up at work.

Slimmingsi - I don't dare swim and then do yoga anymore, those were hardcore days. In the morning I would get up, go to a 1 and a half hour swim practice, and then bike home 15km's, up a mountain, and bike back to the pool for afternoon swim practice and then do yoga to loosen up my body. I'd probably die if I had to do that now, not to mention where I would find time.

-Aimee

slimmingsi
02-05-2005, 04:30 PM
i did the hardcore days to used to play rugby 3 times a week train twice a week and when i wasn't do that or school i was boxing or judo

nelie
02-05-2005, 05:23 PM
I used to get up at 4:30am every morning, go to the gym, exercise, shower, eat a breakfast bar of some type then go to work. It is too hard of a schedule for me to maintain so I exercise at night now or during the afternoon on days I don't have to work.

slimmingsi
02-05-2005, 05:30 PM
excersise at night is good ;)