South Beach Diet - The Daily Cluck - TGIF - January 28

Ruthxxx
01-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Running late this morning.

I was up at 5:30 but unable to start a new thread. Messed around with it until the Girls yipped. I think they were cold despite those fur coats! It is way below zero this morning at around -25F and I've just put the last piece of wood on the fire! :( I hate having to get dressed to go outdoors but will have to do it anyhow. After that I'll have my bath and get dressed for my appointment for my physical at 10:30. I am going to insist on a heated speculum! :lol:

This afternoon I have to push myself into finishing a package for the Fair. I had almost forgotten it until I was reminded at the meeting last night! :o Of course, I'll be popping in and out of the coop to see how your Friday is going!

Have a good one!

Nalaminu
01-28-2005, 07:22 AM
Good Morning Ladies!

Yesterday was a very tiring day for me. I took the kids to the spelling bee, but none of them made it past the first written round. :( I was afraid there would be tears! Fortunately for me, the 4th graders decided that they would start a spelling club and work for next year's bee and the 6th grader just said, hey... I got out of half a day of school!

I had to stop and get my blood drawn at the doctor's during lunch. I am having my DNA tested to see if I am a carrier for Fragile X because my cousin had a son with that problem. If I am also a carrier we are going to adopt rather than trying for a baby of our own. I have to wait for 2-3 weeks for the results! :cry:

Since I was gone all morning, when I got back I had non-stop classes. I was so tired when I got home! I have had no energy this week. I don't know if it is because I haven't been feeling 100% or because of what I am eating. I know I need to be eating more veggies. I have decided to stay home today and get some rest.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Nally

Bamiegurl
01-28-2005, 07:24 AM
Good Morning Ruth! I'll send DS over to help with the wood! Be CAREFUL out there. I've gotta get packed for Mom's and do some runnin around town. They are callin for freezing rain there and here so I have to check the weather as well! I'll peck back in a bit.
Good Morning all!

Bamiegurl
01-28-2005, 07:27 AM
Nally... we posted at the same time. I pray all comes out well with the test. Please do rest and take care. Well atleast the 4th graders had the right thinkin! lol 6th grader sounds like my son! lol

a broad abroad
01-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Good morning everyone,

It's a winter wonderland here, everything outside is white and fluffy. It started snowing last night at midnight and is still going. It's all pretty but I'M COLD! I'm at the computer and the heater is on my left so I can type with one unfrozen hand :lol: It's 25F (-6C) outside - Canadians don't laugh - I'm a winter weather wimp Southern Belle. Luckily I don't have to go anywhere today.

DH made cookies for himself and the guys at work so the whole house smells wonderful, and tempting, but he took them all with him thank goodness.

Today feels like a 'cauliflower popcorn' kind of day.
Ruth congrats on ONEderland. Hello to the newbies. Will check back later.
Wow, there have been three more posts since I started my slow-mo (frozen) typing.

tazcat
01-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Morning to you all,
I also have to get wood in today, I get a wheel barrow full each day, I made a ramp that I take it right up my patio, in my front room, then I unload it to the wood box inside :D I have a box on my patio that holds three days worth of wood, but I like to save that incase we have a big stom, and I cant get to the building.
Yesterday I bought paint, and some flooring, so today that is what I am going to do. (try to do, I have never painted, it was always hubbies job :?: ) The flooring was only $10.00 a box, as it was clearing.

Well all for now, my key board is in my lap, the room I am doing is my computer room,
Have a wonderful day,

love Tazcat

anchor weight
01-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Good Morning!

Just a quickie for me today! I'm down another 2 pounds. I wish I could shake that last pound because then I would actually make my goal for January! :p I got up early and worked out today. The stress from the soup kitchen fund raiser is starting to take it's toll.

Naly - My prayers are with you sweetie!

Ruth - I don't know how you northern folk can handle the - weather all the time. It is going to be in the 20's today in Michigan and I think it is going to feel like a heat wave! :lol:

Bami - becareful in the freezing rain! You're just getting to the point where you feel good again.

A Broad - You stay warm too!

I have to run! Take care everyone!

little chick
01-28-2005, 08:09 AM
Morning chicks... the sun is shinning but it is cold here again today. I have lots to do today. We are hoping the "Howie" will show up this week end. We are all excited for the new baby. I will post pictures Sunday night if he comes. I really have to work on my dance rountines today. Tomorrow is dance day, and DH has a volley ball tournment, Sunday is ski day. Other than that nothing. DD went to school today she really could have had one more day home but I really needed the break. :lol:

Ruth- Hope the speculum doesn't get frozen to you. :lol: Stay warm and have a great day.

Nally- glad that the kids were not to dispointed and good luck with the test I will keep you in prayers that all will work out the way it is susposed to.Take care.

Bamie-Morning chick hope you have a great day.

a broad abroad- -6 you poor baby don't come and visit me or you could and we could toughen you up you poor southern chick. Glad DH took the cookies to work so you wouldn't be temptent.

Check in again later.

little chick
01-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Hey there Taz and Anchor we were posting at the same time.
Taz- take care of yourself, but good for you doing renovations and hauling wood, good idea with the ramp.
Anchor-congrats on the 2 pounds I will keep my fingers crossed for the other one. I think I need 2 more by monday to reach my goal.

ellis
01-28-2005, 08:41 AM
Quickie... just heading out the door...

Ruth, those spoons should be illegal.

Nally, I'm saying prayers for you, sweetie. :grouphug:

Love :love: to all of you... :wave:

Marianna
01-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Gosh... I just popped in before going to bed, it is so late here. The thread is up and moving early.

Have a lovely day everyone!

2BFIT1
01-28-2005, 09:20 AM
I just read yesterdays thread full of mice, voles, Oneder Land , pantry clearing, blood drawing, spelling bees and Ellis being almost perfect! Sorry I missed it. Welcome to the Newbies!!!

The South is expecting freezing rain . Bamie, can you keep it in Alabama until Monday?? cause I hate driving into Atlanta when the roads are icy.

DH has been home from work yesterday and today (work slowed down AGAIN) so we used the time to get some things done together.After my hair appt we went out shopping and finally found some barstools that we both liked and a small dinnette set for the kitchen. Stopped at Diggers for their wonderful Chicken Fajita Salad.
The granite guy comes back today to do the templeting for the countertops but it can't be cut until that darn sink arrives .
Dinner tonight will be grilled steaks, roasted veggies and a side salad.

Everybody have a great day and I'll check in later :wave:

2BFIT1
01-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Sorry I missed it.
Ellis being perfect, that is :lol3: :rofl:

Bamiegurl
01-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Sil.. I hope it stays in Al. since I'm headin to Tn. this afternoon! I just dread goin over chestnut ridge as it is a pretty steep hill (mountain) that always gets it before the lower parts! They are pretty good about salting it sometimes even before the weather because it is a truck route. Which by the way is a real pain if you get stuck behind one! Especially the chicken trucks in the summer time! eeewww! Talk about the **** hittin the van! lol Winter time they put boards on the truck. One of the towns I go through has a Tyson plant.

Little Chick... Glad DD is on the mend! I used to live with strep until I finally had my tonsils out when I was 23. Problem solved! lol

Ellis... Enjoy your free day!

Artemis... I hope you are having sweet dreams. DD may be goin to Australia this summer to play soccer with the People to People program. She'll be goin to Sydney. If she is selected I may PM you for some info on the land down under! No Mom's allowed! See Mom cryin! lol

amb_lyn
01-28-2005, 10:19 AM
Good Morning Ladies~

Just a quickie for me today. Baby is sick. UGH!! Woke up with a 102.5 temp. So, we went to the grocery store for Tylenol/Motrin after we dropped off older son at school, NO WAY am I paying 8.50 for a bottle of Motrin. So, thinking i'd run to the little store here in town, oh wait, they do'nt open until 9am!! Another whole hour! UGH!! So, luckily I have some Motrin here at home I gave him before we left, then i'll just run to the pharmacy this afternoon. I hate living in a small town sometimes!

Well, things are going well for me, i think. LOL

I don't have much of an appetite but am forcing myself to eat at least a little something at every meal. I don't see this as a bad thing. I'm not eating snacks. For breakfast today, i had some eggs. For lunch, i'm thinking an apple?? I do have to work the night shift tonight so that will be a struggle. I always get the 'munchies' while I'm up all night. Maybe another apple for snack?? P2 going well I think. I'm down another pound or 2. Hopefully Monday morning there will be a definite answer. I'd like to see 3 but I won't get too greedy since i'm on P2 now.

Well, baby is wanting to be held so I"m off. Have a great OP day!

Welcome to the newbies!

Barb0522
01-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Ruth - Good luck on the physical. Are you having to fast for any blood tests?

Nally - Good luck with the blood test. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you aren't a carrier.

Bamie and all of northerners - Be careful with the weather.

A Broad - Congrats on resisting the cookies. Good thing they are out of the house.

Taz - Make sure you have enough ventilation for the painting!

Anchor - I really find working out helps with my stress.

Little Chick - We definitely want to see a picture of the new fur baby!

2BFIT - We've been staying above freezing but our rain is causing lots of accidents. Your dinner sounds good.

Hi, Ellis and Artemis!

I've got the Cub Scout District Awards dinner tonight. They posted the menu finally. I get a choice of chopped steak or baked chicken (I definitely prefer the chicken). The rest of the menu is mashed potatoes, dinner salad, and cake. I was hoping they would have a different vegetable. I'll do my best and make sure I keep the cake to 3 bites (or less if its not chocolate ;) ). I really don't care for mashed potatoes so they won't be much of a problem. I've got extra veggies for lunch today and I'll try to get a big healthy snack late in the afternoon).

Barb0522
01-28-2005, 10:25 AM
amb_lyn - You have to eat or your body will go into starvation mode! You can eat small portions but you need to be eating more than just fruit. Try some chicken soup or cheese or peanut butter. You could add the peanut butter to your apple and that would help too. Sorry about the sick baby. :(

HistoryChick
01-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Good Morning Ladies!

Well I need a good talking too...going back on phase one...I have cravings this time....I didn't really have them the first time around....my family decided to make brownies last night and well....the brownie got the better of me...I should slap my hand....but I am determined to stick to phase one...Well that wintery weather will be here tomorrow afternoon/evening....it's not going to be fun....They say when a system like that comes in from the South....we ALWAYS get it bad....so we shall see....it should be interesting being that I have to work all weekend....Good luck on the physical Ruth!! That reminds me I need to make an appointment with my dr...oh joy! *sarcasm* Everyone stay warm today!! Keep up the good work....I'm sure I'll be back in a few....I work 3-7:30 tonight...I wonder if business will pick up soon

StephiePoo
01-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Wow ladies, I wish I lived up north. Can you all beleive that I have NEVER seen snow! Actually, actually, Texas weather is so crazy that Wednesday it was in the 70's, and today it's in the 40's! And, when it gets cold, everyone here freaks out and closes schools and stuff. I bet people up north laugh at us for that! I am almost at my January ogal. 3 more pounds. I wonder if I can do it by Monday. I'm going to do alot of working out this weekend to reach my goal. I didn't realize that Monday is already the last day of January! Well, I get off work in a few hours then off to Curves. Oh if any of you are contemplating joining curves, let me just tell you, I joined on Monday, and I love it! I have gone almost everyday this week. Not Wed. But it feels like such a great workout in only 30 minutes! It's great. I joined with my mom and my aunts. We all love it.

Have a great day everyone!! Good luck staying OP!!

geekchic
01-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Good morning ladies :coffee: 8 minutes till I have to switch to "good afternoon."

So far today I had a ham&cheese&onion&mushroom omelet this morning with coffee, and had two celery sticks with Laughing Cow cheese for a snack. Drinking my first glass of water -- I'm not too thirsty today even though my lips are chapped. For lunch I have pinto bean soup that I made in the crock pot, and for snack this afternoon I have a mozzarella cheese stick and a hardboiled egg. You are right, I DO need more veggies. :yikes: I might run to the store at lunch and get some veggies to have at work for snacking. this was my first week and i did not buy nearly enough snacking-type veggies.

Taz I do not know you because I am a newbie here, but it breaks my heart to hear you talk about your DH. :( It looks like you are finding positive ways to cope, but I just cannot imagine. Please accept a virtual hug from me even though you do not know me.

beachgal
01-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Wow, no way I can respond to everyone today...sorry! :faint:

Ruth, hope the wood is in and you are comfortably bathed and on your way to the doctor, who will be nice and heat all instruments used!

Nally, you'll be in my prayers, hon. :grouphug: I'm glad you're getting tested and have a plan b, but know that it just might work out as you hope :goodvibes: , okay? :D

Anchor, please eat! If you really aren't hungry, you need to go see a doctor...there could be something wrong. I know that sounds funny in here, but honestly, not being hungry for days on end is not normal or healthy. :grouphug: Let us know how it goes...hope the baby feels much better soon!

Stay safe on those roads, southern chickies!

Me:
Saw my therapist yesterday, which was good. See a new psychi today...hope that goes well. I'm hoping I can convince her to prescribe a light lamp for me so I won't get as depressed in the winter. The :sunny: is shining right now, and on snow, so it's really bright. It just lifts my spirits so much! :dance:

I'm going to observe in a friend's classroom after lunch, and we'll walk there, which will put in a little exercise for the day. Then I go see my psychi, so I won't be at work much today. Yoo-hoo! :D

DH and I will go out to dinner tonight. I'm thinking Ruby Tuesday's, as I'm still Phase 1ing it.

No major plans for the weekend, but we are going to a party tomorrow night, so I'll make some kind of veggie dish to bring with to make sure I get enough to eat. Not sure what yet. Anyone have any good ideas for a veggie side dish that's Phase 1 safe and impressive enough for company? :?:

Have a great day, chicks! Stay warm...it's in - numbers here! Brrrr....

beachgal
01-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Geekchic, you are so sweet! :grouphug:

Taz, I'm so sorry for all that you are going through, but I am so GLAD that you are here with us!!! I hope we can help in any way you need us. :goodvibes: :grouphug:

HunnyBee
01-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Good Mornin! Well I didnt totally make it yesterday w/o a munch of the C word (a mini mr goodbar). :( But I finished the day OP :smug: which I try to do.

Yesterday was my FIRM workout day but the Mary Kay lady was coming by for a facial class so I will FIRM tonight. :workout: DP will watch my dd for me.. thank goodness for him. (he also let me buy the BAG from Mary Kay, expensive but I got a 45% off discount... btw, I love MK)

Had a veggie scramble this morning with coffee and will have snack in a few minutes here after I check my cals and where I am with protein, fat carb ration. ;) Having spaghetti tonight, the fam will have whole wheat noodles and toast. I will substitute zucchini strips for noodles --no toast. (I love zucchini)

Supposed to rain/snow here again but we'll see that have said that for the last 5 days. :dizzy: Im still not liking my job and this has been the longest week ever... Cant wait till 5:00. btw, I read everyone's post every morning so I hope ya'll have a great day on the Beach! :coffee2:

kissyjoy
01-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Good Morning All!

It's a nasty, dreary day here so far. A storm moved in last night and is dropping buckets on us. It's not supposed to last too long and I really hope it doesn't. We don't need anymore mudslides, sink holes or road closures around here. We're still trying to recover from the last storms. I went by the La Conchita mudslide right after it opened and let me tell you, it was surreal looking at it. It definitely was a reality check. I went by again last night on the way to Santa Barbara and it looks almost the same. I know they've been clearing out as much as they can but there are still all of the cars lined up along the freeway that were crushed by the mud.

I do have some good news. I avoided the cheeseburgers last night and went with the fajitas! The only thing I had that wasn't OP was a small bite of corn cake they serve with it. OMG...that stuff is soooooo good! I also drank water with it so I'm pretty proud of myself. :D My pants feel a little looser this week so I think I may have lost something. I'd love for it to be that last 3 pounds so I can make my January goal! We'll see on Monday.

I don't have much planned this weekend at all. We'll probably start focusing on the kitchen. DH opened up one of the walls we want to remove last night. We need a structural guy to come in and tell us if we can do that. It would open up our place so much. I want to go look at cupboard colors and some granite for the countertops.

If I don't get back til Monday, hope you all have a great day and an OP weekend! :)

Bamiegurl
01-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Hey Kissjoy according to DH if the wall runs opposite your rafters in the attic then it is a support wall. I wanted to tear a wall out of my kitchen as well but it is a support wall. So I ripped the pantry out instead! lol I don't know if the guy is a friend so there is no charge but if it will cost you might could even find out on line. Just my 2 cents! lol

geekchic
01-28-2005, 01:04 PM
I went to the store and got a bell pepper, some green beans, cherry tomatoesand some bagged salad greens (the European one with radicchio, endives, etc) for snacks for @ work. I forgot to mention that I am drinking a V8 almost every day with my lunch. Starting on my second glass of H20 Now!

2BFIT1
01-28-2005, 01:44 PM
Amber~~I was also going to suggest adding some peanut butter to the apple. It's one of my fav snacks.

Misty~Good for you adding in the veggies!!

Bamie~~"the s#%* hitting the van"~too funny :lol3:

kissyjoy
01-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Bamie-

I'm pretty sure that it's a load bearing wall for the second story (BTW it's a small wall in the middle of the house) but DH is an electrician and does kitchen remodels all the time. He's going to have one of his contractor buddies come in and see if there's anything we can do with it that doesn't cost an arm and a leg! My kitchen is so small that if I ripped out our pantry, there'd be absolutely no cupboard space. Darn structural crap! :lol: Why can't it just work the way we want it to? :mad:

RNMOM
01-28-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm finally checking in! All is cold here in the mountain west. Not as cold as Ruth and other other icebergs however.

Been behaving, feeling good. I had a sweet potato with spaghetti sauce on it for lunch. Pretty tasty.

You all sound busy, take care and be good.

amb_lyn
01-28-2005, 03:33 PM
How's this for today's menu?? Is this enough so I won't go into starvation mode??

So far,I've had eggs for breakfast and a glass of skim milk. For lunch, I went with yogurt instead of an apple and for dinner will be nachos with lettuce/tomato/meat/velveeta cheese & rotel mix/and refried beans. Just a little because i have no appetite really. Will that be ok for my body?

2BFIT1
01-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Amber~~Yogurt is OK for a snack but not for a meal (you would have to add some more protein to it). Not sue about the nachos (are you talking tortilla chips?) Are you phase 1 or 2?

Mamacita~~Are you keeping warm?? We're supposed to get freezing rain (read: crappy road conditions) tonight and early Sat. morning. Maybe I won't be able to get to work tomorrow??? (what a shame ;) ).

amb_lyn
01-28-2005, 04:25 PM
I am P2. I will not be using tortilla chips. I had planned on using the lettuce in their place. So, I basically need to eat something more than I have been? I did so much better on P1. LOL I knew I had to eat & I could only eat these certain things. Now on P2, I have all these options, but i'm not hungry. But, I force myself to eat a little something. For my midnight snack tonight I will eat an apple with some peanut butter. I have some all natural peanut butter in the frig. I will also bring an egg with me to work tonight. Does that sound ok?

Ruthxxx
01-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Amber, I am really worried about you not eating enough! If your body does not get enough nourishment, you will go into starvation mode and get sick - not to mention not losing weight safely. Can you post specific quantities such as the number of eggs, the size of the yogurt, etc? I realize it's hard to force yourself to eat but it sounds as if your appetite needs stimulation. There's a French expression that translates as "Appetite comes with eating". If this loss of appetite continues, I would definitely advise seeing a doctor. Please try.

amb_lyn
01-28-2005, 05:20 PM
I had 2 eggs, scrambled this morning, then i had a 6oz. container of yogurt (Blue Bunny Lite 85). I did eat a pickle (0cal) and I have drank a few glasses of water and 1 12oz can of Diet Cherry Coke. Dinner is where I will get most of my calories. But, I haven't been eating much of dinner either lately. I don't want to go into starvation mode, so that's why I'm asking questions in re: to my meals. Thanks for the advice & information. I've never had a problem with eating. LOL

kissyjoy
01-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Here's a picture of the wall we want to remove....

kissyjoy
01-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Amber-

You definitely need to eat more than that. Do you have the book? Look at the sample menus in the book. There's a lot more food in the plan than you've been eating. This is definitely not a "less food" diet. It's the right food you need to be eating. Lunch should definitely be more than a cup of yogurt. You need some protein and veggies to keep your body going. You also need your snacks but not at midnight. Try to get off those midnight snacks and let your body process what's been eaten that day.

Eat more, hon.....your body will be glad you did!

amb_lyn
01-28-2005, 05:49 PM
I don't always snack at midnight. Just a few nights a month. I work a night shift 10pm to 7am'ish and I get the 'munchies'. I try to steer clear as long as I can but then they hit. Thank goodness it's only a few days a month right now.

I do have the book. I am just simply not hungry. It's not from trying to eat less, it's just no appetite. I have been eating my 3 meals/day and no snacking lately. I know I should be eating more. I'm not trying to damage my body..I do know what can happen, I just wanted to know if i was eating enough to keep my body going. I didnt do so well in nutrition during nursing school. LOL

chipper15173
01-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Hey all;
Glad to hear everyone is doing good.
I have been afraid to post, because I have eaten since yesterday afternoon, talk about, tummy troubles. UGH!!! Today I woke feeling sick. I caught what ever the GB has had all week. She of course was better today. Today I have eaten: 3 eggs w/cheese, green peppers onions, mushrooms. Lunch was a chicken sandwich and chicken noodle soup. Then i had some nuts and 3 hard boiled eggs. That's it, I am done for the day. Now they are saying we might get snow tonight and tomorrow morning. We only get snow once every few years.
The good news is that we got our loan and the work will begin in a few weeks. Windows are being ordered. Next week the guy comes out to take the good measurements. I will be taking before and after pictures. My house will double in value after the work is done. That's not to bad.:)
Well, time to go lay back down again. I have a box dinner to make real quick for the DH & DS tonight.

amb_lyn
01-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Hope you feel better soon Chipper!!

Ruthxxx
01-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Amber, just an idea - why don't you run your food through www.fitday.com. It's free and it will shock you to see how low your calories are. You probably should not be below 1200 to stay healthy and losing weight.
Can you tell I'm a worrywart?

Bamiegurl
01-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Well I am in Tn. now waitin on the freeze! (that I hope passes) Looks like the coop is stayin busy!
Feel better soon chipper!
Amber... I can totally relate cause there are times when I just cannot make myself eat. It's the times I could that got me in trouble! lol I hope it passes and you can start eating regular again soon.

tazcat
01-28-2005, 08:08 PM
kissyjoy, looks like a support wall to me,
but i really don't know to much, HaHa
Thanks for all of your support, I stayed home tonight, just couldn't go out.
i finished painting the room, and have the finish ripped up to start laying the floor tomorrow.
Well night all,
love Tazcat

geekchic
01-28-2005, 09:56 PM
I just wanted to comment that this week my energy level has been the most stable it has ever been. I have not had those midmorning and midafternoon slow-downs that I thought were 'normal'! Now I have not been bursting with energy either (which I think it's normal to have a little less energy on phase 1) but I guess that my blood sugar is on a much more even keel!

Good night ladies! I ate a cup of cauliflower and 2 cups of brussels sprouts with my steak. :)

little chick
01-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Amber you need more veggies and maybe some fruit. If you don't start eating more you may end up having munch fest.

amb_lyn
01-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Ok Ok, I will force myself to eat more veggies.. Something I have NEVER been good at. I have eaten some broccoli this week though in addtion to my salads, when i've had a salad that is. I will try to do better. TRY!