South Beach Diet - dehydrated?

View Full Version : dehydrated?

ellis
01-24-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm stumped, girls... for the past 4 or 5 days, I've been drinking and drinking water. I can't seem to get enough. I usually have 4 to 6 glasses a day (mostly 4), plus my regular 3 coffees. Now I'm drinking 10 glasses or so!
I'm not eating or exercising any differently than normal. No salty foods.
Could it be the fact that it's been desperately cold here, and having the furnace running constantly is drying me out?
Any ideas? :?:

Ruthxxx
01-24-2005, 05:18 PM
At least you are drinking it. Often we don't in cold weather and we need it.

It's nice to know you can "dry out" though! Most people have to go away to a clinic! :rofl:

ellis
01-24-2005, 05:24 PM
You are so freaking RUDE!!! :rofl:
I'm asking a serious question, here!
Have you been into the scotch? Sil's already downed a bottle of wine, and God only knows how much YOU'VE had!!

Ruthxxx
01-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Ha! Seriously, there is a test to see if you are dehydrated. Just pinch up the skin on the back of your hand. If it stays up for a while, you need more water. If it springs back, you are OK. If it bleeds or bruises, you did it too hard and it's called auto-erotic-masochism or something. Ask a shrink!

ellis
01-24-2005, 05:35 PM
No, Ruth. That's an age indicator. The faster it springs back, the younger you are.
Only you would know about auto-erotic-masochism.

Ottoette
01-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Not to divert from such an entertaining thread, but yes, running your furnace a lot will dry out the air in your home, thus drying you out (h2o wise). Try a humidifier in your bedroom, but actually drinking all that water's good for you!

ellis
01-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Ottoette, thank you! That's all I needed to hear! :lol: I don't MIND drinking all this water... it's so good for me. :yes: I just want to know the reason for the unusual thirst!
Yes, I was wondering about putting a humidifier in the bedroom. That's what I'll do this evening!
Thanks, girl!

Bamiegurl
01-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Heat is very drying! Ellis maybe you should ask Ruth how she knows so much about dryin out and the S&M part! I guess now we know for sure why the XXX is part of her name! :lol: Y'all crack me up! :lol:

ellis
01-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Oh, yeah, Bamie... she's a dirty girl, alright! :lol:

Bunnababy
01-25-2005, 02:09 AM
You guys are too too funny!

The furnace is causing you to dry out some and therefore the need to drink water. Enjoy Ellis!

ellis
01-25-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks, Bunna! :)

2BFIT1
01-25-2005, 10:00 AM
Sil's already downed a bottle of wine, and God only knows how much YOU'VE had!!

Excuse me, but it was only 1/2 a bottle. :cheers:

ellis
01-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Oh, sorry, darling. yeah, right!
We wouldn't want anyone to think you're a lush. :rofl:
I suppose you're celebrating your new kitchen, eh? I don't want to hear about it!! :lol3:

beachgal
01-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Ellis, dehydration can be a sign of diabetes. You might want to get your blood sugar tested, just in case. Also, there are several foods that harbor pounds of salt without tasting salty...have you had ham, canned soup, or other sodium rich food lately? :?:

The heat can definitely be drying, but I wonder why you would suddenly need more water when the heat's been on for months? :chin:

Ruth, can you pass the scotch? :cheers:

ellis
01-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Ellis, dehydration can be a sign of diabetes.
Oh, crap! Good point, Laurie. :( I'm having my physical next month, so I'll definitely get that checked out.
No... definitely haven't had any "hidden salt" foods.
It's only that it's been excessively cold here lately (the last two weeks or so), and the furnace barely shuts off for a couple of minutes before starting up again. I've noticed that my nose is really dry, too. (Ruth is going to make some reference to dogs...)

ellis
01-25-2005, 10:39 AM
You know... I just thought of something. On the days when I'm terribly thirsty, it's always when I've had a nap on the chaise lounge in the living room, which is RIGHT over a heating duct! When I wake up, I'm groggy, hot, sweaty and thirsty! (and drooling, but we won't mention that)
I WILL get my blood sugar checked, though. :yes:

Bamiegurl
01-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Ellis you are just giving Ruth more ammo here! lol! (drooling)

solarmama
01-25-2005, 11:14 AM
This may sound gross, but when my nose is too dry, (like lately with the heat on all the time) I actually rinse my nose out with warm salt water once or twice a day.

I learned about it from reading Natural Healing by Dr. Andrew Weil - here's how he describes it on his website (www.askdrweil.com)

"Nasal douching can help, too. Mix a solution of salt water (a quarter teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water). You can pour some of the salt water into your cupped hand and inhale it into one nostril at a time while closing the other nostril with an index finger. Or you can get a neti pot, a ceramic container shaped like a miniature Aladdin’s lamp that allows you to pour water directly into the nose. Use enough solution to fill your nasal cavity and spill into your mouth. Spit it out and then gently blow your nose. At first, this process may seem uncomfortable and messy, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll like what it does for your nose and sinuses."

Helps during allergy season too - rinses some of that pollen from your nasal passages, and clears extra mucus.

But I think that replacing the water by drinking it is a good plan, Ellis, and maybe find a new place to nap! Or sleep with a wet washcloth on your face - I expect that would help with the drool, too. :p

Solar

ellis
01-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks, Solar! I've always wanted to get one of those neti pots... I'm going to check around and see if I can find one. :yes:

Ruthxxx
01-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Geez! Dry nose and drooling are bad signs! I suggest a visit to the vet.

wendyjo
01-25-2005, 01:18 PM
"nasal douching" - Oh man...............

Bups
01-25-2005, 01:45 PM
ROFLOL :lol3:

I really don't think my new employers will appreciate me spitting water all over my laptop.

Way way too much time on your hands :)

ellis
01-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Geez! Dry nose and drooling are bad signs! I suggest a visit to the vet.
I'm just going to pretend I didn't read that.