Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-24-2005, 07:36 AM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Smile LWL#187 Week of January 24-30

Good morning Girls

Just thought I'd get the weekly thread running... Mel and Meg must have be frozen in the snow doing cardio ... OR they are already gone to the gym! Those dedicated women!!

I'll be heading to the gym for legs very soon myself...

Let's be careful out there!! TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

good morning all! got in a half hour of treadmill before heading into work. I had been doing hills at 3.5 speed...must be building endurance since when I did it yesterday it didn't make me break a sweat, so today I upped it to 3.8, which felt great. Also did some squats and lunges. Didn't want to overdo it as I am working upper body with the trainer tonight.

Whoever suggested sauce over cabbage, thank you! I made a ground turkey pasta sauce, steamed the cabbage, and it was delicious. Have it again for lunch today.

Ellen...I'm alone in the office today so won't have much time, but when I do, will PM you. I'm in Wheaton, MD. Maybe we can hook up in a few weeks. I know what you mean about the charts...according to them I should be 115-120, but my body is so weirdly proportioned, and my face so thin, that below 135 I would look emaciated.

Hope it's a good monday for everyone, and that you're not all digging yourselves out.

Last edited by artmaker; 01-24-2005 at 09:07 AM.
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

I haven't been posting - work has gone NUTZ - but I have been hitting the gym, the weights, my bike at home, and seeing results. Yesterday my low-rise jeans that I had bought too small for me, were falling down. I felt like a teen-aged boy!

Hit the gym this AM for chest and time on the tread. Life is good.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:40 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Morning all!!

Well this weekend, I officially hit 289 again which is a good sign because now I can start losing those "virgin" pounds instead of the ones I gained over the holidays. Yesterday, I did 40 minutes of chest and triceps and both hurt today! I also did 30 minutes on the torture machine aka elliptical. It was good though because I did the "weight loss" program on the elliptical which means 4 minutes you are on a flat level, small resistance, then 4 minutes you are on a steep incline with resistance. Well the last time I did that program, I wanted to destroy the machine whenever it did the incline/extra resistance and yesterday I wasn't actually having too much trouble other than sweating like crazy! My legs did hurt after I got off though but hey I don't mind and it said I had burned 400 calories and I know that is an estimate but I liked the thought.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:01 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

nellie -- Congrats on the "virgin" lbs...

Tiki -- Missed your uplifting posts... Congrats to you too on the "teen-aged boy" jeans ...

Art -- I am doing the spaghetti sauce over cabbage tonite, I'll report on how delish it is ...

I am off to the gym after I eat for some cario and arms or shoulders.... It's going to be very nice and today although BRRR cold out...

Hope everyone else is doing well.... Let's be careful out there....BREATH everyone!!

TTFN ...
Old 01-25-2005, 10:43 AM   #6  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

Default Leg question

Hey everybody.....

I've not posted in a while because I've been so busy with work and workouts, it's hard to find the time. Anyway...I have a question regarding leg excercises. Sunday I did squats (first time ever) on the tredmill -no speed, just using bars for support- and after 20 of them, I could hardly walk. I know...that's a good thing, but they still are so sore today and I really think I should work them again today shouldn't I? I don't really have a schedule for the excercises, I just sort of do what I have time for. So, for example, I may do arms two days in a row. So what do I do about the legs? WOrk them again today and just work through the soreness?

ANother question I have is my weight. I haven't lost but 4 pounds in three weeks. I just started my period yseterday (weigh in day) so I may have lost a pound or two more. Is this a good weight loss so far? I saw on tv "The Biggest Loser" where they were losing like 10 pounds a week (I know it was mostly water) but I have been working my but off. I RUN 30 minutes on the tredmill to the point of almost passing out and I do weights everyday.

ANy advice would be great.

Thanks....I'm not giving up at all, just ready to be skinny again. I'm so impatient!

Last edited by SupaStar; 01-25-2005 at 10:46 AM.
SupaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Sandy...The usual advice is to not work the same body part two days in a row...so if you are going to do upper body for two days, focus on chest/back/shoulders one day, and biceps/triceps the next, for example. If you are really sore from squats, take it easy and do stretching, and/or try to work your legs another way...for example, do floor legs..side lifts, donkey lifts, etc....you can probably find floor leg exercises on line if you need examples. Or see how lunges feel. When you do your squats, are you sure you are sitting back, as if sitting in a chair, so you don't put your weight forward and put stress on your knees?

4 pounds in 3 weeks is a good steady weight loss. I wish I could do so well. Don't forget, you are building muscle as well. The Biggest Loser show has people working out for 3 hours at a time, from what I understand...that is NOT normal weight loss.

You know what they say...it took a long time to put the weight on, be patient with taking it off. You are doing really well..pace yourself. Don't rush or you will hurt yourself.

Yesterday was a good workout day. Did full body with trainer as she is going away for a week, and she wanted to ensure I hit all body parts before she left. I'm on my own for the rest of the week, and I want to surprise her and really make some progress for when she returns.

Ilene, what I like about the ground turkey spaghetti sauce over cabbage...it is really filling! I felt stuffed for hours yesterday after lunch. Think I am going to try to make it at least twice a month. I like the steaming of the cabbage, gives it a different flavor than just cold. Do you steam your cabbage, or stir fry it, or just eat it raw?

Nelie, love that you are getting into virgin territory! That is really exciting. Good luck.

Tiki, great going on your loss!

Have a great day all!
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:13 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Art -- I think I was going to steam it... I like it that way...

Sandy -- Welcome !! We LUVS newbies ... I really enjoy introducing people to weight training and seing how much they like it or sometimes, unfortunately they may dislike it which is too bad because it's so important to weight loss... I'm with Art just work through it, unless it's excruciatingly sore, stretch it for today and work on legs tomorrow...
Have you gone to Krista Smash's site? It's a very informative site for weight training... here is the link http://www.stumptuous.com/weights_index_revision.html ...
Hope this helps...

I had a super workout this morning... I braved the cold weather jogged to the gym (20 mins) worked arms once there... Then took the long way home a 40 min jog back... Even though it's like -17C/1F, it bright and , and with the proper clothing it's beautiful...

Hope everyone else is doing well...TTFN
Old 01-25-2005, 12:36 PM   #9  

Hello, I hope I am posting on the right thread for my question. I have been doing weight watchers' CORE plan, which is similar to phase 2 of the South Beach Diet, since late September. I have not worked out in this time. However, I have just started this past week for a couple of days with a friend. We trained together a couple of years ago and I actually have not worked out that intensely since early 2003. Well, this plan that we are doing consists of 4 days of cardio - 50 minutes (10 to 15 minutes on 4 cardio machines) and 2 days of 45 minutes of cardio and weight training which consists of a set of heavy lifting in a 13-exercise sequence followed by drop sets. This is the intermediate plan. The advanced is supposed to hit 1,000 cals. loss.

The actual activity is not my issue, but the food intake and dealing with the crazy hungeries! I'm not sure what too really eat before my Saturday morning workout. Last week, I had a marathon bar (170 cals.) and by halfway in the weight workout, I got dizzy and nauseous and had to sit down b/w sets. My cardio, which we did for 30 instead of 45, burned 350 cals., so I was at a deficit for the day. I don't want to eat a lot before my workout, but obviously I need something more. After the workout, I ate a pychotic amount of bread and grilled chicken salad. The next morning, I had 2 salads w/ crackers and loaded so much pasta in on Sunday, that I got sick.

I really need tips on how to eat prior to intense workouts and how to manage the extrem famished feeling after. Any thoughts?

Last edited by txlawchic; 01-25-2005 at 12:39 PM.
txlawchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:53 PM   #10  

When I read 170 calories as your only meal of the day before a workout I thought "EAT GIRL!"! I'd be aiming at 300-400 calories. You can probably even afford some high GI carbs (like JUICE or a banana) since you're headed straight to the gym, but I'd balance that out with some slow-burning carb along with protein and even a little fat. Try your bar PLUS juice or milk, or a good cereal with milk and a sliced banana.

I was recently seeing a dietician, she said that if I want to work out every day (as opposed to alternating with rest days), I need to eat some carb before my workouts, as well as some carb & protein (chocolate milk was actually on her list of suggestions!) after the workout to refuel for the next day.

Last edited by julesrules; 01-25-2005 at 12:55 PM.
julesrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:11 PM   #11  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

Default Ilene :)

Thanks Ilene for the advice...but I do need to tell you that I changed my Username from the old..."Dying2lose" to "Sandy71". I'm the same ol' gal, not new, just a few pounds smaller But thanks for the welcome anyway. You're always so nice.
SupaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

txlawchic -- Here is what I eat before a workout and sometimes after too because they are my staples and I rarely run out of this food and it's easy for me to make... I'm very boring btw... I have 1/2 c dry oatmeal sometimes I cook it, specially lately because it's so dang cold, other times I let it soak in 1/2c soy milk, I still add the soy milk even after the oatmeal is cooked, in the oatmeal I often add 1tsp udo's oil or 1tbsp combination ground flax, wheat bran, oat bran... then I have a 4 eggwhite omelette, this week I have even added a scoop of protein powder to my oatmeal...I felt I needed more protein because I was hungry all the time, maybe this is something you can add too instead of processed carbs like crackers... For ME this meal is easily digestible before a workout and has close to 500 cals, 10g fat, 42g carbs, 57g protein.... I spend about 1.5 hrs at the gym 5-6 times/week.... I lift heavy and jog....you can check my fitday journal in my siggie...

Sandy so there you are errrr......"Dying2lose" ...

Well gotta go shopping...
Old 01-25-2005, 02:18 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hey all! I had a doctor appointment today with my new doctor, I really really like him, which is good. He is running a full set of tests on me including a metabolic one? I never knew there was a metabolic blood test, quite strange. He also wants me to do a blood glucose test which I'll do on friday since I'll be prepared and bring along my book as I wait... wait... wait.. My only thought was I wonder how many calories is in that nasty sugar drink they give you.

I also told my doctor that I was doing South Beach Diet but now i'm counting calories (1500/day) and he told me that I shouldn't worry about calories and just continue with South Beach. My answer was basically that I still follow the ideals but I just don't follow it closely. I also weighed in at the doctor at 285!! but since that isn't my normal scale, I'm not counting it but it did make me happy.

Lastly, I am turning 30 this year at the end of may, exactly 4 months from today. My goal is to lose 100 lbs total since my last birthday so I need to weigh 255 which would mean 34 lbs lost in 17 weeks. I know I can do it so that is what I am shooting for! Hopefully I'll be able to be under 200 lbs by the end of this year but we'll see how things go.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:23 PM   #14  

Jules and Ilene, thank you so much for your input! This is very much appreciated! Ilene, I will check out your Fitday journal! The only problem is that I am not a fan of oatmeal or the texture rather. I really wish I liked it, b/c of the convenience. When you soak it, is it still slimy?
txlawchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:38 PM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlawchic
When you soak it, is it still slimy?
This made me laugh! No it's not slimy, I find it tastes like granola, but nelie says ... ... try it soaked in milk or soy milk with splenda and a few raisins and a few sunflower seeds, I, find it delicious ... I also use the large flaked oatmeal...

Last edited by Ilene; 01-25-2005 at 04:40 PM.