General Diet Plans and Questions - Body for Life #4

View Full Version : Body for Life #4

susanje
05-14-2001, 09:29 AM
This post contains general bfl info, bfl links and a short critique by Mrs. Jim at the end of week 3

Must Have: Body for Life book by Bill Phillips

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details):
six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist/palm method of measurement.
Recommended grams per day: divide lean body weight by 6 and that is how much carbs/protein you should have at each meal but it tends to correspond to your palm (protein) and fist (carbs). Add green veggies to 2 meals per day. Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks and/or Bars on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes and Bars (Shakes are better IMHO). Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Supplements optional: many options but few (other than creatine) that is standard fare.

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 47-60 minutes intense (using supersetting and drop sets) weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days.

20 minutes intense interval cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

Body for life Links

http://*************.com/group/bodyforlife

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifeplus
(for plus women)

http://www.hussman.com/eas/

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

http://www.leanandstrong.com/

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifewomensclub
(for women)

http://www.eas.com

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlife

http://www.bflrecipes.bigstep.com

http://www.bflsupport.com

http://www.gymamerica.com/gti/exerc...ted_demo_index/
(Thanks Christie!)

http://www.planetkc.com/exrx/Lists/Directory.html

http://bodybuilding.about.com/recre...ing/?once=true&

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/BootCamp.asp
(AB BOOTCAMP!!!)

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
(HIIT)

From BFL #3 Thread: Mrs. Jim's critique at the end of Week 3

Woo! Today's end of Week 3...
...I'm feeling great - my arms are sore (not unbearably so) from yesterday's UBWO...

For the remaining 9 weeks, I've downloaded and printed copies of the progress reports, then written down the strength training routines, with the dates on top (not the planned weight to lift though - I write that in the night before). Each week, I'll pull out the three strength training routines for that particular week and put them on my refrigerator to grab on my way to the gym each morning!

My opinion is, if you want to truly succeed at losing weight in any case - not just BFL - it requires some advance planning, reading/researching, etc. When you're considering a weight-loss/fitness plan, don't just go blindly into it. Do some reading and research. Talk to people (on line or in person) about how they've done on the plan - preferably those who have done the plan in the past, or for more than a few weeks. Ask yourself "Can I stay on this plan for X amount of weeks? Will I be able to KEEP the weight off? Can I afford to do this?"

Let's face it, BFL isn't for everyone (though I would strongly encourage all to give it a look!), just like WW or other plans don't work for everyone. It's important to find a plan you can live with for an extended period of time!

The things that appealed to me about BFL were:

*The structure of the plan - I've lifted weights in the past, but didn't have an actual routine to make them more effective. I like the way BFL's weight training is set up and timed - it's fast paced and actually enjoyable!

*Even though I'm doing less cardio than in the past (where I would typically spend 80 minutes on the EFX, followed by 5 minutes on the treadmill and 10-15 minutes lifting weights, six or seven days a week, in addition to long hilly bike rides on the weekends) I find I'm getting more out of it. My typical BFL cardio workout day consists of doing the 20 minute solution (using a HRM to monitor my intensity), THEN doing a 40-minute easy 'jog' keeping my HR low (120-140 HR) just because I enjoy it...I still do my Friday Spin class but only after my strength training and usually only stay for the first 35 minutes (primarily because of my work schedule).

*Another great thing is the FREE DAY...can't say enough about it. It's kind of exciting to plan what I'm going to be eating on Sunday! In addition, Jim and I usually go cycling or are out and about, so it's not like I'm hanging around the house pigging out...I still don't know what I want tomorrow...we did Mexican last week...maybe Italian??

Well, gotta go - my Myoplex is ready! Later...

MrsJim
05-14-2001, 01:18 PM
Just read your post...maybe we just need a hyperlink to all the info - it's a thread in itself! :)

Yesterday Jim and I ended up doing chores around the house and yard - his birthday is coming up on the 28th so we are planning on having a few friends over since that's also Memorial Day weekend!

Went to Red Robin for my free day meal...I was tempted to order the most fattening thing they had (not hard to do) but ended up getting a turkey burger instead. They have "bottomless steak fries" there (which means they keep bringing them until you beg them to stop). Thought for sure that I was going to get at least one refill but barely finished my original helping before I was stuffed!

Had such a great LBWO this morning - I'm revved up! Hope all you other BFL's feel as great as I do - for those of you who haven't decided if BFL is for you, I really suggest you give it a look! See ya...

susanje
05-14-2001, 11:58 PM
wow my husband's bd is the 26th!

lots of may birthdays!

Finals are killing my BFL. Today was my 3rd out of 4. I'm so mentally and physically tired...I am trying to get through! ONE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrsJim
05-15-2001, 01:15 PM
Hey Susan, after finals are out I suggest you work out to Alice Cooper..."SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER!!!" (remember that song? Boy are we old!)

Just thought I'd post what I've worked out as my daily BFL menu - see what you all think!

I generally wake up around 4:00 a.m. or so.
Before I go to the gym I drink two glasses of water, along with 500 mg of Vitamin C and 500 mg of L-Glutamine.
Hit the gym between 4:30 - 4:45, home by 6:00.
Have a Myoplex with a serving of Betagen added at 7:00 (WHY I didn't get a blender until this weekend I'll never know - Myoplex is SO MUCH better blended with ice!!!)
At 9 or 9:30 (depending on how busy I am) I'll toddle down to the cafeteria and get some freshly cut fruit (melon, pineapple, strawberries usually) with a dollop of cottage cheese on top.
I drink water throughout the day - as well as when I'm working out.

Here's where I tend to screw up - I don't have lunch til 1:00 which is way past the two-three hour mark - generally I'll go to Mydashi (a fast-food Japanese restaurant) and get a rice bowl - brown rice, chicken and veggies.

At 3:30 - 4:00 - Myoplex time again.

6:00 dinner - Even though it's mostly carbs I enjoy having veggie sushi that I purchase at the local market. Either that or a grilled boneless chicken breast, brown rice and a veggie.

7:30 pm - I SHOULD have another Myoplex but I'm a grazer at night - usually winds up being a Dannon Light N Fit yogurt, maybe with some cottage cheese mixed in. The hour between 7 and 8 is when I tend to graze...

susanje
05-16-2001, 02:07 AM
I was in high school when that was a song........I think it came out the end of one of my middle years (soph or junior). egad.

Do you like the Betagen? I only do creatine and glutamine. My week is off...I went to the gym today and did a full body workout. ICK. I used to do them all the time but now they seem dumb. I did it BFL way and it took me almost 2 hours (Abs too) but I dont' know when I'll get back to the gym this week. I HATE THIS.

I'm trying to stay on track with my food but I study for hours on end and find I am missing meals.

ack.

I can't wait for Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrsJim
05-16-2001, 11:29 PM
I do like the Betagen but have only been using it a short time...we'll see if it has any effects.

In addition to the Betagen I'm finishing off a bottle of Creatine Serum, I also have a big tub of pure creatine in my cupboard, so I may just buy some straight HMB and combine them to save some $$.

I'm really enjoying my workouts but I'm finding my left side is weaker than my right and I work to failure much more quickly on the left...

I really enjoy the Myoplex though - it is pretty great tasting! And I DO recommend mixing diet root beer with vanilla Myoplex Lite and ice in a blender. Did that tonight - YUM!

Friday's coming fast - and I'm looking forward to Sunday (my Free Day!!)

2BFIT1
05-17-2001, 01:15 PM
Hi Everybody:wave:
My name is Sil and I usually post on the WW threads but I have been reading BFL for awhile and am planning to start on Monday.(actually I have been trying the food and exercise routines the past few days to get the hang of it.

I have been needing some structured exercising and this seems like it will work. I am concerned about the UBWO, as I had spinal surgery on my neck in Jan. I can lift the weights but not sure how far I can push myself at this time.

I do have some questions regarding BFL:
~Are the fruits listed in the book the only ones allowed? I noticed that bananas are not on the list but he mentions them in the book.

~I saw a recipe on his website where he mixes ff cottage cheese with eggbeaters, veggies,etc for an omlette and wraps it in a tortilla. That seems like 2proteins and 1 carb. Is that allowed for a meal?

~DH is also planning on doing this with me and the myoplex bars and ready-mix drinks will work best for him(he has no access to a blender on the job). Has anyone tried these? I was told the drinks do not taste as good as the powder mix. Can you freeze the ready made drinks over night to put in your lunch ? On that same note, has anyone tried blending the powder mix and then freezing that over night. I'm looking for something that will stay cold for him in his lunchbox.

I have checked out the saveonsupplements site as you suggested and it looks like a good deal.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks everybody! :D
~~~Sil

MrsJim
05-17-2001, 03:22 PM
I'm still in the learning process as well (if you can believe that after doing this for almost four weeks already). I'm still doing my research.

I did notice that Bill Phillips does not mention bananas on the 'short list', but they ARE mentioned elsewhere in the book. The first place I would check out other than the BFL site is http://www.hussman.com/eas/

It takes a while to read (I had to print it out) but there's a TON of info there.

I bought a case of RTD Myoplex on eBay and Jim just called me from downstairs - and told me that my case had just arrived...I'm sure they don't taste as yummy as the powdered stuff (which is GREAT blended with ice!!) but Myoplex just doesn't blend as well in a shaker cup - I still get those big powdery globs. So I'm just going to keep my RTD at work, put a can in the freezer about 20 minutes prior to drinking it (BTW I wouldn't keep a can in the freezer longer than a few minutes - the liquid can expand and possibly (because this has happened to me in the past) explode (embarrassing when it's your better half that is the one to discover it upon opening the freezer door...)

If you guys sign up for the BFL challenge, make sure you use the Team EAS website - the workouts are all laid out for you...it's great! I'd start with lower weights and work up from there (also probably a good idea to consult with your doctor...)

Good luck and I'm sure Susan will have some good words to add as well! Keep posting!

2BFIT1
05-17-2001, 03:38 PM
Thanks Mrs. Jim. I'll check out that website that you mentioned.~~~Sil

2BFIT1
05-18-2001, 09:52 PM
Hi Mrs. Jim:wave:~~~
I decided to go ahead and start the BFL today. Thursdays are my free days and yesterday I did the aerobic workout in the morning, to get my exercise program on schedule. I bought a box of Myoplex powder and some RTD to try it. Tonight I mixed the powder w/ half a banana and ice cubes (& water) and it was wonderful. Alot thicker that I thought it would be.
I even got in a good UBWO today.

The real test will be tomorrow. I work on weekends and I work 13 hr shifts with a 1 hr driving time each way. I will have to get up at 3:45 to get the aerobics in but I think I can do it.
Have a great weekend!!!
~~~Sil

susanje
05-18-2001, 10:40 PM
Hi Sil,

Welcome! I used to work 12 hour shifts on Saturdays with an hour drive each way. Can't say I envy you!

I really don't like the RTDs. I DO envy people who can drink them. I do love the shakes. Hate the bars except I find that Myoplex Lite Toffee Crunch FROZEN is okay (not so great if not frozen). I've heard Designer Protein bars are very good and everything else they make is very good so this is easy to believe.

Oh I found myoplex orange jubilee on netrition.com - a case of it (I previously thought it only came in the assortment and I only like the orange). I also have tried Designer Protein Abs Berry (very good) and also Met Rx Berry Blast is good (I add frozen strawberries...virgin dacquari tasting). I just ordered Myoplex vanilla and will compare it to Met Rx vanilla (my current favorite).

As far as exercise, I like the fact that when I am stretched for time, the 20 minutes seems do-able. This morning I really had to run out early and managed 25 minutes on the elliptical (2 minutes warm up and 3 for cool down).

Well, School is DONE. I'm exhausted and my program took a few hits (not big ones, some missed meals, some missed workouts and one or two meals on the run, not bad for how nuts I've been). I do feel paunchier around the middle than I did last week so I am going to really hit the gym hard next week.

I missed my workout yesterday but did cardio today, will do weights tomorrow.

Free Day on Sunday (doing Bay to Breakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

and strict strict strict BFL from now til the end of my challenge (I have 4 weeks left!) I will probably not take my free week until the beg of July when I have a friend coming to visit for a week.

In spite of everything, I still like the way I feel. I am so relieved, I hit 10s on cardio for the first time in weeks!!!!
Yeah!

Welcome Sil, keep us posted!!!!

Susan

MrsJim
05-19-2001, 10:41 AM
Hi Susan - betcha you're SO GLAD that school is out! Now you can relax (and get back on track, right??). I know how stressful situations can really mess you up.

About the RTD's - tried the chocolate. YUK! Maybe it would be better frozen - or blended with ice.. Of course I'm not really used to drinking meal replacements, esp RTD's (even though I did Optifast back in '90). Well, I have 23 servings left of the RTD, so I guess it's going back on eBay. Probably there's a bunch of people who just LOVE that stuff but it's not me...I'm not really a 'bar' person either (either kind of bars - the ones you hang out in or the ones you eat). They just don't fill me up the way a Myoplex shake made with plenty of ice and mixed in a blender does! (my favorite is still my 'root beer float' recipe, but I've also done the vanilla or strawberry creme with a couple of fresh strawberries tossed in - they add a lot of flavor and very few calories).

Next week is my Week 5. All the routines change and I'm ready - I've printed out the instructions and copied them to carry along with me in case I forget the first week. I may do a light 'run-through' tomorrow with 5 lb weights, a few reps of each exercise just to get the hang of it.

I'm so proud of myself today - I always do a bit of ab work on my cardio days - the decline sit-ups have always been tough for me - I'm now able to do 12 in a row - and have even raised the incline of the bench up to the next bar and was able to do 5 at that level!

Jim is going to take my 4-week photos tomorrow, and I'll be able to compare. The ones that he took at the beginning were shocking - BACK FAT is NOT pretty! :(

We'll probably be watching the B2B tomorrow on Channel 5 - we've gone a few times, but Jim and I aren't runners - we're cyclists. It is fun to bike behind the "Back of the Pack" people, especially since the streets are closed to cars during the race - heaven! Make sure you drink a lot of water though - it's going to be a hot one tomorrow!!!

Sil - you do exactly what I do - even though I only live a 10 minute drive from work, I still like to hit the gym around 4:30 am during the week - otherwise it just gets too crowded. One of the great things about BFL is that all the workouts take under an hour - so it's easy to fit them into your schedule. Keep us posted on how you do!

Later you guys - need to hit the shower!!

MrsJim
05-21-2001, 09:38 AM
And the routines have changed (as stated before, I'm just using the routines on the Team EAS/BFL website).

Amazing how weak my left arm is - I am really trying to concentrate on getting it as strong as my right.

Susan - tell us how the B2B was! I didn't even get around to watching it on TV - didn't even have the TV on yesterday til around 7:00 p.m.

For a free day, I was superbusy...for some reason, all week I had been thinking about McD's hamburgers, just the regular one - and some fries. Since Jim was in the studio most of the day yesterday, I cleaned our pigsty of a house (usually other activities take precedence over cleaning but NOW it's sparkling!). Around 2:00 I headed over to the nearby McDonald's. The line was incredibly long and service SLOW. My first job at 16 was at McD's and I remember we were made to work at a much faster pace (but it was probably easier to get kids to work there in 1979 than now, with all the mall jobs available today).

Anyway, I waited in line and got a regular HB and a medium fries, took my stuff home and ate. Of course it wasn't as good as I remembered. Didn't finish the fries - they just seemed to have no taste whatsoever. Later (around 6:00) Jim came home and we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant. I had a margarita and ordered a chimichanga platter, but couldn't finish more than about 1/2 of it (Jim's bringing the leftovers to work for lunch today!). What a contrast to my first free day when I polished off a whole jumbo combo platter!

Lost 1/2 a pound this week - which for me is pretty good considering my TOM starts Thursday or Friday (ah, the miracle of The Pill - you always know your cycle!). The weather is getting really nice and I know it's going to be a super week! Let's hear from you guys!

Hockeychic
05-21-2001, 04:28 PM
I have the bfl book. I have had it for over 1 year. I am getting really frustrated with my loss. I have decided to finally use this book and challange myself to 12 weeks. The biggest questions I have is with Supplements. I will not take anything more than a vitamin, just a pill phobia I have. Is it neccessay to take them for success. Also meal replacements, can I use slimfast or carnation instant breakfasts.

Thank you all in advance for your help. I am hoping to start tomorrow so any help is appreciated.

MrsJim
05-21-2001, 05:33 PM
You don't need to use supplements if you don't wanna. I do use the Betagen though. I also take L-Glutamine and Vitamin C.

SlimFast, Instant Breakfast and the like are NOT acceptable meal replacements on BFL. You don't need to use meal replacement shakes at all, but it does make things much easier when you're fitting in 6 small meals a day. I am using Myoplex Lite right now, and have also used Lean Body for Her by Labrada. I've already ticked off a lot of Slim Fast users in the past by saying this...but SlimFast/Instant Breakfast both get most of their calories from sugar - kind of like having an Ovaltine or Nesquik with a vitamin...

Let's do a quick comparison of Myoplex Lite with Slim Fast (the powder versions)

Calories - Myoplex Lite: 190 SlimFast: 100
Protein - ML: 25 g SF: 5g
Carbs: ML: 20g (0g from sugar) SF: 20g (17g from sugar)

Since sugar has 4 calories/grams, a whopping 68% of Slim-Fast's calories are derived from sugar! Not much nourishment there, not enough protein either. BFL's eating plan consists of 40% protein/40% carbs (mostly low-glycemic)/20% fat. Since a great deal of BFL's plan involves weight training, your body will need the protein to help build muscle tissue - and more muscle means more fat being burned!

There are a lot of meal replacement shakes out there if you don't want to use Myoplex - just make sure that the nutritional content is similar. As far as price goes, I'm paying about $1.33 per serving for Myoplex Lite from www.saveonsupplements.com (I buy the 42 serving variety pack). If you use a blender with lots of ice, Myoplex is especially tasty - just like a triple thick milkshake!

I would also suggest that you check some of the links that Susan posted at the top of this thread, especially the Body For Life site and the Hussman/Eas site. And DO sign up for the Challenge on www.bodyforlife.com and have your photos/measurements taken before you start as well! In fact, I'd suggest waiting until Monday to start - re-read the book, check out the websites listed and sign up for the challenge - it doesn't cost anything! Take care and keep us posted!

Hockeychic
05-21-2001, 05:56 PM
Thank you for the info and support.

sheila_220
05-22-2001, 03:44 PM
hello everyone :love:

hope you don't mind me popping in but I am a very strong beleiver in BFL although I usually lack the motivation to complete the full 12 weeks.

The first time I only completed 4 weeks but the last time I completed 10 weeks right before my wedding (may 19th). The closer it got to the wedding the more distracted I got, but I am ready to get back on track.

I've done alot of research about BFL and could tell you almost anything you need to know except how to stay with it for the entire 12 weeks. If anyone can help me with that one I'd gladly listen because I feel so much better when I stick with the program.

2BFIT1
05-22-2001, 07:54 PM
Hi Everybody:wave:

Well, today was DAY 5 and so far I'm doing great. I have found that my left arm is much weaker than the right, especially my tricep. I knew that I lost some muscle strength last year due to herniated disc in my neck but hoped that i would have improved more since I had surgery to correct it. I guess it will take some time. I'm doing my workouts at home using free weights (dumbbells). For aerobics I've been riding my cardio stationary bike.
Today I made Myoplex and added alittle fat free/sugar free pudding to the mix and it made a wonderful pudding.
This is actually fun and I'm feeling great about myself:D
I'm sure that I will be popping in frequently to ask questions. Thanks. I think I'll go take a nice hot bubble bath. See ya
~~~Sil

2BFIT1
05-24-2001, 02:45 PM
Just to let everybody know that i have completed my first week on BFL, today is my free day, and I am doing The Happy Dance.~~~Sil

MrsJim
05-24-2001, 05:49 PM
Hope you're having a good Free Day!

My legs are aching BIG TIME today - I'm doing the routines as set out in the EAS/BFL website, and they all changed at week 5. Now, instead of leg presses I'm doing Dumbbell Squats. OWWW! hurts so good...

Just ordered a bunch more Myoplex Lite. Now Jim's hooked on the stuff, so we're going halfsies on it. I ordered from saveonsupplements.com but found a (slightly) cheaper place, netrition.com. It's about a buck cheaper but money is money, right?

Back to my budget for now...

2BFIT1
05-24-2001, 08:46 PM
Since I'm doing the exercises at home with dumbbells I'm restricted to what exercises i can do. The squats and lunges are killers but i can feel the progress too. My Myoplex lite variety package just arrived today...oh d-mm, I forgot to get the diet root beer. I'll have to get some tomorrow~looking forward to it.
Thanks for your encouragement~~~Sil

MrsJim
05-24-2001, 09:19 PM
Sure, you get more variety out of using machines, but you get a much better workout (and burn) using dumbbells and barbells in my opinion!

In fact Bill Phillips recommends using free weights over the machines. One of the things that attracted me to BFL was the fact that the book stressed that you don't need to hit the gym. And free weights are muy cheapo! If you look in your local Penny Saver or classifieds, I betcha you can find a lot of ads for used ones.

Those squats are killers! I really feel like Lucy Lawless right now (as long as I don't look in the mirror).

sheila_220
05-25-2001, 05:00 AM
didn't think the squats were bad for me but those lunges were killers

susanje
05-25-2001, 10:44 AM
I am sorry that I haven't checked in this week! My computer crashed and all my passwords were lost. I've been logged on to 3FC for over a year and a half so I had no idea what the password was. Finally got it retreived last night (Thanks Suzanne!)

Mrs Jim: Bay to Breakers was FUN!!! My hips were sore, I think I need new shoes but didn't think that was the time to break some shoes in!

SIL: Congrats on your first week! That is GREAT! I just got a box of Orange Jubilee, my favorite Myoplex and up until now available only in the Tropical Package. Now it is available on its own. It is twice the protein as carbs so I add fresh fruit like frozen strawberries and pineapple and it is YUMMY.

WELCOME HOCKEY CHIC! I don't think that supplements (other than a multivitamin) are necessary but glutamine does help speed muscle recovery. I know that I can feel the difference when I don't take it (ow!)

WELCOME SHEILA!!! Glad you're here!

Well I am on WEEK NINE. I can't believe it. I feel really good but because of my less than spectacular workouts during finals, I feel that I am not as far along as I would like to be. I've been hitting the weights and cardio really hard this week to make up for lost time. I've been hitting 10s on cardio and on abs (doing ab bootcamp!) and at least 9's on LBWO. I have a problem with UBWO but am hoping to get to at least 9's today (will let everyone know!)

I took my measurements last week and have lost 10.5 inches overall....and will have my bf measured again in a couple of weeks.

In the home stretch!
Susan

2BFIT1
05-25-2001, 11:07 AM
WAY TO GO, SUSAN!!! THIS IS FOR YOU......

MrsJim
05-25-2001, 01:11 PM
Jeez! I've walked the Bay to Breakers a couple of years ('93 and '94). I had sooo many blisters...then I had to walk to the bus stop, and walk home...it was like walking on hot coals. Ow! A long hot soak never felt so good as after the B2B.

I'm excited - we seem to have more people on board for BFL! Terrific!

Got to share this - yesterday I put on my favorite Lands' End skirt. Since late November, it's been too tight - the zipper kind of pooched out because of the size of my hips...yesterday it was LOOSE and the zipper was not pooching out! Can't wait to measure myself on Sunday (I'm only taking waist and hip measurements) and see how I'm doing!

I also want to get my body fat tested. The nearest Bod Pod is in San Francisco, so I'm going to check around for a place that does underwater body fat testing (which is the gold standard). I do have a Tanita Body Fat Scale but it's not really reliable and I don't trust calipers.

Well, back to work!

MrsJim
05-27-2001, 11:25 AM
I'm just waiting for Jim to wake up so we can go out for breakfast. For some reason, I'm craving pancakes even though it's been years since I've had them! Oh well, it's wonderful FREE DAY! After we eat, I'm heading to Safeway with BFL list in hand. Going to buy the food I need, and ONLY the food I need (well, we're almost out of soap too, gotta get that!) for the next week.

Yesterday Jim and I had the most fun day! Drove up to Stockton to visit the world-famous (well, if you're into Arabian horses) Jack Tone Ranch (www.fadjur.com). We were shown around by one of the family members (the Tone family has owned this ranch for over 150 years!). They had some newborn foals, including a 3-day-old filly that was so adorable and they were all so friendly - not a crabby horse on the place! (Anybody who tells you that Arabians are crazy hot horses is totally WRONG - they are spirited but gentle and intelligent). If Jim doesn't need to practice with his band next Sunday, we're going back for their 'open barn' celebration.

Sorry, knew that wasn't BFL or weight related but we both had the best time and I couldn't resist sharing!

Have a great day, y'all!

susanje
05-28-2001, 12:02 AM
Sounds nice Mrs Jim. The only time I've been out toward Stockton was when we were tourists in these here parts. I really don't know what in the world is out there. I should take a ride out there (maybe on the harley) this summer. :)

I had a pretty good UBWO this morning since yesterday was free day. I'm so much more interested in LBWO when I do them that I tend to not care if I hit 10s on UBWO. Well, the past 2 weeks I have been committed to hitting 10s and in doing so I found some great new exercises that really helps a lot. I am doing the low row on the cable machine and I felt so much go on in my back. I had been doing lat pull downs exclusively and I like the low row a lot. I also did some concentration curls for biceps but there are not enough degrees of weight for me to get all my sets in. I would like to start lower but there are no weights lower than a 10 lb. When I was going to a women's gym, we had 2, 5, 6 and 8 so I didn't have to START at 10. hmmmm. I dunno.

The gym is more crowded at 9 a.m. on a Sunday than I would have thought (especially a holiday weekend). The last time I went there on a Sunday I went at like 7 and it was pretty empty. That 2 hours makes a difference!!!!

Well I am in WEEK TEN. unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how is everyone doing???????????????

Susan

2BFIT1
05-28-2001, 09:35 AM
Susan~ I know what you mean about not having enough weight variation in dumbbells. What I have done at home is on some of the exercises I start with 5#. I use that for 2 sets and then go up to 10# for the next sets. But I make sure that I do all sets. This means that I have to use 10# for both of my high point sets. Right now, lifting 10# in each hand is all that I can do. I'm in my 2nd week, so I hope to increase that . When my muscles aren't so sore the next day, then I'll try uping to 15#.

Mrs. Jim~Those new born foals sound soooo adorable! What a great day you had. I grew up in So.Calif but I can relate to the areas that you guys talk about. Beautiful country!!

I'm doing well on BFL but I have a problem doing a workout on Sundays after I have worked 13 hours. I'm up at 4am ,at work at 6:30. I'm a Charge Nurse for a 42 bed cardiac unit, so I'm on my feet all day. By the time I get home at 8:30-9P I'm whipped. What I have been doing is to get my aerobic WO early Monday am and then get the body WO the same day (to catch up ). Is that OK? This way I feel that I'm staying on program.

Have a great Memorial Day!

MrsJim
05-28-2001, 01:22 PM
I'm in recovery from an insane free day!

Jim's birthday was this weekend so we had some friends over for a BBQ...our upstairs neighbor used to be a bartender so she was making frozen margaritas which were WAY too good...plus we had chips and dips and garlic bread and beans, etc.

Well! I was totally stuffed and had a buzz going. So at 9:15 p.m. last night, I got the remaining chips and garlic bread and threw them down the disposal so I could start fresh this morning.

After my LBWO, I went to Safeway with my list of authorized stuff for the week, so I'm set!

Susan - I know what you mean about the little weights. If your gym has an aerobics room, check there - that's where the under 10-pound dumbbells seem to migrate at MY gym.

I don't care much for downtown Stockton myself but the outskirts (still farm country) are great! Jack Tone Road is a long, straight two-lane blacktop (I think it's the longest two-lane road in No. California if I'm not mistaken). Jim says it would be a fun ride. BTW, did you see the latest issue of Muscle Media - with Porter Freeman on that restored '49 Harley? Jim was impressed! I got him a Hawaiian shirt (the rage these days) and a digital camera for his birthday, so he's a happy guy!

One of the foals (I think she was about two weeks' old) came up to Jim and I and tried to nurse our fingers. She has nubby little teeth coming out but that didn't hurt - until the next day, I have little bruises on my knuckles.

Today the weather is a bit chilly but we're going to try and get out for a ride anyway. Other than that I'm going to drink lots of H20 and recover from yesterday's celebration! See ya!

susanje
05-29-2001, 11:16 PM
Sil, what day do you take your Free Day? Maybe it should be Sunday? I don't know. I have done both in the same day though it is supposed to be a no no. Sometimes its that or nothing.

Mrs. Jim: I love that 49 Panhead that Porter sits on in MM. Beautiful bike, beautiful restoration.

I finished my last paper for school today and drove to Berkeley to hand it in, however I start my research assistant position on Thursday with an all day symposium (to get up to speed). I'm exhausted!!!!!!!!!!
Yawn. I've been typing a paper for the past 3 days. I'm going to bed! Hope everyone is well!
Susan

MrsJim
05-29-2001, 11:33 PM
Hey all!

After my feast day (free day) it felt great to get back on track!

Forgot to mention that on Sunday we had breakfast at STACKS - a great, terrific, fantastic breakfast/lunch restaurant. The pancakes are HUGE and oh so good! Even tho I hadn't had pancakes in eons, I had 'pancakes on the brain' starting Thursday when I saw someone getting them in the cafeteria at the same time I was getting my 9:30 breakfast (diced fruit and cottage cheese). By the time we got a table, it was after 10:00 am - and I hadn't eaten a bite all morning (even after my hard cardio). So - the both of us ordered a 'short stack' and a mini-breakfast with 2 eggs, potatoes and a bagel. I ate maybe the equivalent of 1 pancake with just a little bit of syrup - Jim drenches his 'cakes in syrup but I just like a flavoring - most of my eggs, about two forkfuls of potatoes and my bagel. Both of us were STUFFED to the gills!

Actually looking back on the rest of the day I wasn't so bad - once the BBQ started I was either busy running inside to get things, or socializing with our friends rather than stuffing my face.

So much for FREE DAY. Here's a Myoplex (or other meal replacement shake) tip - don't just use lots of ice - drink it with a STRAW! I bought a box of straws on a whim this weekend, and I find I enjoy drinking my shake more through a straw - plus it takes longer! Just a tip.

2BFIT1
05-30-2001, 05:22 AM
And I feel great! I'm really loving:love: this program.
Susan~~~My free day is Thursday, which works well with my husbands schedule too. Also, I work weekends (13 hrs) and then I'm off the rest of the week. So , if I chose Sunday as my free day, it would be a waste, since I'm lucky to get one decent meal during the day. The small mini-meals work great for work because I can always grab a quick bite, but other than that I'm on the run all day. My beeper and phone usually go off during lunch saying that someone needs my help.
As far as the exercises, I think it will be ok if i can't get my LBWO on Sunday because it will be every other week. I can handle the UBWO when I get home. It's just that my legs are so tired after work that I can't get the best WO from them that day.
Susan, what's your major?

Mrs.Jim~~~It sounds like you are really enjoying your free days! Since I'm just begining the program I'm afraid to over-indulge for fear of negating what I accomplished that week. I'm sure with time I will let loose alittle more. This week I've been craving popcorn(even though it's 94%FF). Last night we had shrimp steamed with cajon spices~yum. I saved a handful for lunch today. Do you guys go to the Bay and get crabs?
About Myoplex~I like it thick and I eat it with a spoon because it also takes longer, too.

Looking forward to my free day tomorrow;)
~~~Sil
137/125/120

MrsJim
05-30-2001, 09:50 AM
Had the greatest UBWO today - took an hour but it was still terrific! Got to speed things up on Friday. BTW, I wear my HRM watch and use it to keep track of my time during my workout - helps a lot!

The big reason it took me so long today was that there were at least FIVE people at the gym also doing BFL (they had their Training-For-Life sheets) and I couldn't resist saying howdy (without spoiling their workout of course). For the most part, they had just started the program that week and were still finding their way around. I felt like the 'old hand' this morning. One guy wanted to know where I got my progress report (since it obviously wasn't photocopied out of the book) and I told him about the links on www.bodyforlife.com where he could download it as well as the "training zone" that I use to plan my workouts each day.

Since I've been reading the book and Muscle Media, it's amazing to me how many people do their lifting all wrong - using momentum rather than their muscles to lift the weight and then just dropping it down. (I must admit that I was in that bunch myself not too long ago - no wonder I didn't see very good results!).

Or how about the ones on the stairclimber, EFX, etc who are leaning all over the front and handlebars, going slowly while reading their book or whatever - one guy I see semi-regularly reads the newspaper all spread out in front of him, just moseying along. The thing that kills me about that is not only is he NOT getting much of a workout, but he's keeping other people who want to use the same machine and work up a good sweat from doing so! GRR! (one of the reasons I get to the gym by 4:30 a.m. on cardio days).

Oh well, time to mix up a Myoplex and get rolling!

PS - Sil - thanks so much for your entry in my guestbook - you are such a sweetie! Take care!

2BFIT1
05-30-2001, 09:07 PM
Mrs. Jim~~~On your webpage you had your journal with fitday.com . What a great site. I've been playing around with it today, entering in my food and activities. I love the info and feedback that it provides and it's great to see that i have a good balance of protein and carbs. And I love that you can enter in ALL activities that you do: yardwork,housework etc. That always counts for something:D Thanks for the great tip!

I woke up early today so that I could shampoo the carpet and that it would be dry by the time my husband got home. Then it was outside to brush and vaccum the pool.(even took an hour to sit in the sun and read). Now that it is cooling off I'm heading downstairs to our exercise room to get my aerobic WO done.
And tomorrow is my free day. What a great way to end my 2nd week on BFL:cool:
~~~Sil
137/125/120

susanje
05-30-2001, 11:24 PM
Hello ladies!

Sil--I'm in law school. So my major is **** I guess you can say. I like to say that I started menopause 10 years early and law school 20 years late. Only a crazy person goes through menopause and law school at the same time. :D

Sil: sounds like you have no choice but to double up one day a week. I don't think that's too bad. I had weeks where I had to do it a few times a week or do a full body weight workout (YEECH). But once a week should be okay.

Mrs. Jim: I was in the gym last week and there was so much clanging of weights. I'm wondering if I should talk to the manager (24 hr fitness) because these are mostly teenagers and if they get hurt the gym is liable. No matter how many forms they or their parents sign and with the way they swing those weights, I think someone is going to get hurt.

I also drink my shakes throw a straw. Last week Safeway had them for some ridiculous price like 2 packs for 59 cents and I always use a straw.

Mrs. Jim: How can I start a new BFL thread but leave the info in the first post on this thread standing on its own. Would it be possible to do a BFL info only post?

Well, I have to go to symposium at school tomorrow. Will just love BARTing to Berkeley in the heat with the fires etc. ooooooooooooooh boy.

hot hot hot....going to tempt the power powers that be and turn on the A/C for just a little while.

:)
G'night ladies.
Susan

MrsJim
05-31-2001, 09:43 AM
Susan - that sounds like a question for Suzanne 3FC. Why don't you PM her and ask? I think the way it works is, if you did a BFL info only thread it would eventually move down and disappear off the board - threads move up according to who's posted last. I don't think they REALLY disappear - depends on how you view the board (last 45 days, last 60 days, etc).

Luckily I don't run into too many 'kids' (high school students) at 4:30 a.m. at my local 24 Hour Fitness, however since they're doing their annual promotion ($75 for three months' membership for high school students, $99 for college students) I expect to see a lot more 'young kids' (to me anyway) hit the gym, which I guess is a good thing (especially with the decline of PE classes that I've read about). There's plenty of adults who flail the weights around but as early in the AM as I hit the gym, most of the people there are hard core regulars who know what they're doing.

I'm extremely envious of you for having air conditioning!!! Although Jim wouldn't have let me turn it on anyway - he's determined to keep our PG&E bills as low as possible. Thank goodness for our George Foreman Champ Grill - if I turned on the oven it would make our apt even hotter...

We're planning on riding our bikes in to work today so I've gotta wake up Jim now - see ya later!

MsLiz1956
05-31-2001, 10:14 AM
I haven't been to 3FC for awhile - I used to post a lot on the WW and SugarBusters sites. It's good to see a BFL thread. I've been on BFL since August of 2000 and absolutely love it! I also use other tools such as WW to keep a tighter rein on my food intake, as the "portion" thing doesn't always work too well for someone my size, where a 500 calorie discrepancy can make the difference between gaining and losing.

I host a BFL board at the IVillage.com site if you ever want to pop in & visit!

So far, thanks to Bill P, I've gone from being a total couch potato to being a real live "weight lifter" though I still have trouble thinking of myself in those terms.

Nice to meet ya!

2BFIT1
05-31-2001, 02:11 PM
I checked out the iVillage site that MsLiz mentioned above and there are lots of people over there that are doing the BFL. I't another great place to get tips and ideas.~~~Sil
P.S. If you go there, check out MsLiz's home webpage. She has her before and after pics there~ she is definately an inspiration.~~~

MsLiz1956
06-01-2001, 08:32 AM
You made my day! I think when you've been doing this for awhile, it's easy to forget how much progress you've really made!

I get impatient because I know where I WANT to be, and I'm not there yet!

Thanks for popping in to visit! There are a lot of great gals there!

MrsJim
06-01-2001, 11:59 AM
Of course I tried from work. Maybe it's the firewall.

Have you ever seen that Dilbert cartoon where the Boss says "My computer is warm - I think the firewall is acting up." !! Sometimes that ol' firewall can really get in the way!!!

Had a GREAT LBWO this morning. I'm feeling better and better each day! This is the end of Week 6 for me. I've had people at the gym that I don't even KNOW come up to me and say that they've noticed how I'm "melting away". My clothes are much looser, and I have even more energy than normal! BFL rules! Love it!

We have FOUR boxes of Myoplex Lite at home now (42 servings each). Jim enjoys having it for breakfast with me now. It's nice and thick and filling. Jim and I are both concerned about our sugar intake so it's good to know it's sugar free. That's our 7:00 breakfast - at 9:30 I usually go down to the cafeteria and get some fresh cut melon and a scoop of cottage cheese for Meal #2. Meal #3 is either a brown rice bowl with chicken and veggies, or a chicken salad at Togo's or something like that. Meal #4 is the toughest for me since I'm usually up to my armpits in some project or other - so I'll probably have to buy some meal replacement bars (much as I hate them) or broil some chicken breasts in advance...

Anyway, gotta go! Looking good and feelin' fine!

MsLiz1956
06-01-2001, 03:22 PM
Sorry you couldn't get onto my site, MrsJim! Firewalls usually don't shut out IVillage unless your security is set REALLY tight! Do you work for the CIA? :lol: I enjoyed your homepage!

susanje - - Law school?! Egads! :eek: And what do you do with all your spare time?!

I can't "do" the regular Myoplex because of the Aspartame, :rolleyes: so I got well acquainted with the ready-to-drink during my first Challenge! I rarely use meal replacements anymore - I've gotten used to preparing and eating 6 meals. The shakes and bars sure are a convenience, especially at the beginning.

My goals for July 4 are to get my weight to 112 with my bodyfat at or below 20%; to bench press 120#, to STOP skipping workouts, and to get back into the suit I wore for my son's wedding! :D

2BFIT1
06-01-2001, 09:18 PM
Hi everybody:wave:
Today I started my 3rd week and it feels great. I entered my food and exercise on fitday.com and was pleased with the results. I did the 20 min aerobics, crunches and had a great UBWO as well. I'm off work tomorrow so I won't have to wake up at 3:45 to do aerobics~yeah;)
I hope that you all have a great weekend.~~~Sil

MrsJim
06-01-2001, 10:42 PM
I'm going to try tonight, actually I did get into Ivillage's home page, just couldn't get into the BFL board w/o getting an error message.

We're not able to download Shockwave/Flash either at work...

First The Young Ones is on BBC America - hey, I have my priorities. Anyone else seen that show? It is hilarious!

susanje
06-01-2001, 11:39 PM
MsLiz, your website is very inspirational! Thanks for joining us here!

Sil: sounds like you had a great workout!

Mrs. Jim: For my 4th meal I sometimes have sliced deli meat with an orange or other fruit. Today I had sliced chicken (from a store bought roasted chicken) and a nectarine.

I'm pretty sure I hit a 10 on cardio today. Not my favorite thing but I really felt great today for some reason.

I'm also weighing and measuring my food. My fist/palm is just not accurate. I have the WW electronic food scale so I'm using that. I also started accurately cutting my Myoplex's (not the Lite, the regular ones) in half. I used to just try to eyeball it. Apparently my eyes don't do measurements so well. So today I wrote down everything I ate and I used exact measurements. However, before I did it I doled out what *I* thought it would be and I was off. For lunch I had chicken and sweet potatoes and I had too little chicken and too much sweet potato. hmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm going by one ounce of each per lean body weight and dividing by six. Apparently I've been off. I will do this for a while until I can SEE what 3 oz of chicken actually looks like! :lol:

Susan

MrsJim
06-02-2001, 11:10 AM
(Remember the old show "The Electric Company" on PBS???)

Whew! Just got back from the gym. I printed out the "Ab Boot Camp" article from www.musclemedia.com (thanks AGAIN susanje!!!) and gave it a go after my cardio workout. I know I'm supposed to wait until the last four weeks but what the heck, my abs can use it!

Liz - Saw your website finally (should've just clicked on your homepage link on top of your post...duhhhh...). All I can say is - you can't POSSIBLY be a grandma - you look way too youthful! And you're doing great at BFL as well!

I've just "gotta crow" here (quoting Peter Pan). Life seems to be going really well for Jim and myself...we both love our jobs (we work at the same company), I'm feeling fit, we finally have some cool neighbors we can hang out with (we usually BBQ with them on the weekends) and best of all I can SEE and FEEL BFL working...even though I've only lost four or five pounds as of last Sunday, the strength training sessions have made a HUGE difference in my appearance in just a matter of six weeks. I'm totally amazed!

I'm planning on updating my website fairly soon - and will likely include my 'before' and 'after' BFL pix as well. I got Jim a digital camera for his birthday last week with the ulterior motive of being able to get those photos...I just need to borrow the scanner from our neighbor so I can scan the 'before' pix.

Susan - I bought a box of Myoplex Lite Bars (the toffee crunch flavor) for my weekday meal #4. As far as meal #5, every week I buy a bag of those Safeway frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts ($10.99 for 4 pounds) and toss one on the Foreman grill (I'll probably break down and get one of the big ones pretty soon). Near East Foods makes a terrific brown rice pilaf mix and something called "Creative Grains" which is brown rice, barley and bulgar wheat mixed with a bit of seasoning. I also like to get broccoli, sliced mushrooms, bell pepper, crushed garlic, etc and stir-fry them in a non-stick pan sprayed with Pam, and make a sauce with water/soy sauce/cornstarch and just a drop or two of sesame oil for flavor. Tres Yum!

Okay, I'm hungry now, time to wake up hubby so's I can make me a Myoplex Lite...

MrsJim
06-03-2001, 10:27 AM
This has been SUCH an awesome week! Just got on the scale (as I always do on Free Day morning) and I weighed 151.5. I haven't been that low in awhile!

Okay, I know scale weight isn't the be-all and end-all of BFL but I still get a big charge from seeing results like that!

Today Jim and I are planning on going back to Jack Tone Ranch for their "Open Barn" bash. First, we're going to breakfast at STACK'S iin Burlingame - they have the BEST breakfasts - I want a waffle today!

Visible results - I'm firming up and losing bodyfat everywhere but most prominently in my upper body - that lower body fat has been there for quite awhile so I expect it'll be the last to go (especially in the hips and thighs). I also expect that it will take at least one more 12-week Challenge to get to the point where my legs have real definition - but for some reason everything seems to be going into hyperdrive now - I'm feeling and looking better and better every day, it seems!

Have a great day, y'all!

susanje
06-03-2001, 10:53 AM
Hey all,

I'm going to start a #5 at the end of today. (Free Day!) I think I am going to keep my noshing to a minimum but eat unauthorized foods. Cereal for breakfast, tuna sandwich with real mayo for lunch and then we are going to a buffet restaurant for dinner where I will eat what I want and have dessert.

I also started taking gugglesterones this week. I don't do "fat burner" products but these have no side effects (Or at least they are not supposed to but I feel a bit warm since I've started taking them, but no speedy effect). I've heard good things so I'll take them.

I had what I thought was killer LBWO yesterday but no sore muscles today. Hmmmmmmmmmm. I was certainly hobbling around the gym yesterday. Maybe it's all the glutamine I take. dunno.

later!
Susan

MsLiz1956
06-04-2001, 10:11 AM
As you're probably discovering, many of us have tweaked the nutritional aspects of BFL just a touch, especially in determining what a "portion size" is. I started counting calories & weighing portions out of curiosity & quickly discovered how easy it is to overeat! :(

I've also begun eliminating the "starchy carbs" he recommends at every meal, opting instead for larger servings of low-glycemic carbs like fresh fruits and veggies. I certainly feel better!