South Beach Diet - SBD Crock Pot Recipes?

View Full Version : SBD Crock Pot Recipes?

geekchic
01-22-2005, 12:23 PM
I got a crock pot for Christmas and I've been using it 2-3x/week (did you know you can make oatmeal in it?!) and love it. But most of my recipes are not really SBD-friendly. Since I am starting in two days I would love to make a big vat of some soup, chili, or something like that, to take for lunches during the week. Any ideas for me? I don't need vegetable soup because I canned a bunch of that this past summer, but it's nice to have some different things. I don't buy store-bought soups anymore because they are too high in sodium and "mystery ingredients."

Ruthxxx
01-22-2005, 12:41 PM
There are several recipes in the Recipe Forum. Ethiopian Chicken comes to mind. I knew about the oatmeal trick. I've been throwing a bunch of soup ingredients into the pot and letting it cook overnight. Pea soup for breakfast is quite comforting some mornings! You can also do a search in allrecipes for South Beach and will come up with some more ideas. I think I posted that in the FAQ section or did I? I'm still losing my mind!

geekchic
01-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks, those are perfect!!!

Ruthxxx
01-22-2005, 02:41 PM
And then there's Black Bean Soup http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40546&highlight=Crock
And Chicken Cacciatore http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=681121&highlight=crockpot#post681121
And Spicy SHredded Pork http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46821&highlight=crockpot

Just a few that I pulled up with a search for crockpot. Have fun.

Goddess Jessica
01-23-2005, 01:15 AM
I threw a Hawaiian themed dinner party a few weeks ago and cooked the most delicious crock pot dish - Kahlua Pig. Despite the alcoholic name, Kahlua actually means in the pit.

Rub 6-8 pound pork shoulder or lean cut with sea salt and liquid smoke
place in crock pot with 2 cups of apple cider or juice (forget about using sugarfree here, you recover most of the cider when it's done cooking)
Cook for 6-8 hours.
Pull apart and serve.

HunnyBee
01-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Have you tried stuffed bell peppers? I have a good recipe I just omit the rice. :D It's a 4hr crockpot recipe...

How about meatloaf (without crackers or oatmeal (unless your phase II) ? Whole chicken, with rosemary and thyme? ( I got one at Walmart for 2.60.) Chili?

I cook in my Rival about 3-4x a week. IM a single working Mom and need that extra 30-45 minutes to relax after work....

AZLowcarber
01-24-2005, 03:53 PM
I love to make Italian Beef Roast. Super easy and delicious. Take a beef roast, pour a 15 oz.jar of pepperoncinis on top (with the juice) and put it on low for as long as you like. It will be done in 5 or so hours but it will be 'melt in your mouth, falling apart tender' if you let it cook for 8 or more hours.

AZLowcarber
01-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Another easy one that is also 2 dishes. Take a lean beef roast and add 2 cans of beef broth and a sliced onion, plus any seasonings you enjoy (I use garlic powder for this dish). When the roast is done, remove and then you have a roast and french onion soup. The soup is fantastic!

AZLowcarber
01-24-2005, 03:59 PM
One more and then I will shush :D

Take a frozen bone in turkey breast (one that doesn't come with a gravy packet so that it doesnt' have to be removed) put it in your crockpt with the breast side up. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on low for 7 to 10 hours, dependent on the size breast you buy and whether or not you like a sliceable turkey or a 'falling apart' turkey.

ellis
01-24-2005, 04:05 PM
mmmm... thanks for the recipe ideas, girls! (when I get a minute, I'll put them in the recipe section, Ruthie and Laurie)
Hunny, do you think you could share your recipe for the stuffed peppers, please? :)

HunnyBee
01-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Yep, I will post them tonight. I think it could be a PH 1 recipe.. pretty sure...

ellis
01-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Thanks, hon! :wave:

Ruthxxx
07-12-2005, 03:13 PM
bumping this for hot weather cooking

sarahyu
07-12-2005, 03:35 PM
I have the original type that doesn't have the removable inner part. It's annoying to clean so I very seldom use it. Plus, I wind up overcooking just about everything.

I've been thinking of investing in one that does have the inner part that comes out to clean easily.
Which type do you all have? I've seen a couple different models. Which works better?

Sarah

ellis
07-12-2005, 05:06 PM
I've got one made by Hamilton Beach (Scovill?) :?: that I've used for about 15 years. Works great.

Barb0522
07-12-2005, 05:42 PM
I have a Rival crockpot with a removable liner (normal size) and a Hamilton Beach with removable liner that is huge and has a warm setting. Be aware that I have heard from my crockpot mailing list that many of the newer ones cook at a higher temperature and food can burn. I've never had it happen to me but then my crockpots are older. I've done an entire ham in the larger crockpot.

Artemis__
07-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Just a couple of things I'd like some help with please:

those links dont work for me- Ruth I read your response to Ellis, does it mean I need to change something in my settings, or is it just for the moderators?

Can someone describe to me what pepperoncinis are - I've never heard of them, but often we have different names for things over here, so I probably can get them, just need to know what they are!

Thank you!

ellis
07-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Sorry, Artemis... I'll remove those links.
Go to the recipe section, and type in ... crock pot ... under "Search".

Ruthxxx
07-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Gee, Artemis, I'm not sure why they don't work for you. It's not just a MOD thing and they are working fine right now. My response referred to a problem I was having with my Search function, not the links. What happens when you click on the link or copy it into your browser?
Pepperoncinis are small peppers and I can't remember what they are called in England! Capsaicins or something similar? You could just add flakes or even some Tabasco sauce.

ellis
07-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Ruth, I just deleted my links. They weren't working for ME, either! :lol:
Your direct links are working, though. :)

Artemis__
07-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Thanks

Ok well when I clicked on the links it said "search not found" or something, and asked me to give a different search term. Anyway its ok I will find them ok by doing a search!

Hmm pepperoncinis, are they similar to jalapenos in a jar? I'm assuming they are in a jar or tin and not on the produce section?
Sorry about this but sometimes figuring out the different names for things can be a bit of a challenge !

ellis
07-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Artemis, I'd never heard of them, either. I had to look them up. :shrug: Yes, apparently they are similar to jalapenos in a jar. :yes:

kyemom
07-13-2005, 08:58 AM
They are similar, but not as hot....they are usually whole and a yellower green than Jalapenos. Look here... www.jakeandamos.com/store/item.asp?id=MIX11

sarahyu
07-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Pepperocini aren't quite as hot as jalapanos. They are more vinegary-sort of like a slightly hot pickle.
Here's a link to a brand, maybe you can tell by the picture what it might be called in your area.
http://www.cybercucina.com/ccdocs/products/P160TP.html

Sarah

how funny, we must have been posting about the same time. Guess it takes time to find pictures. :dizzy:

kyemom
07-13-2005, 09:03 AM
LOl...great minds think alike!!

Artemis__
07-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks to all of you, I now know what I need - still cant remember what we Brits call them, but I know they are for sale in most supermarkets here.

Appreciate your help thank you!

fl_mom
07-13-2005, 10:10 AM
One more and then I will shush :D

Take a frozen bone in turkey breast (one that doesn't come with a gravy packet so that it doesnt' have to be removed) put it in your crockpt with the breast side up. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on low for 7 to 10 hours, dependent on the size breast you buy and whether or not you like a sliceable turkey or a 'falling apart' turkey.

I have a boneless turkey breast in the freezer. Can I use this recipe or do you maybe have another for that?

Thanks

Barb0522
07-13-2005, 10:38 AM
I just posted the crockpot chili recipe that I use http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=899011#post899011

I know there is another one out there but my family likes this one better. It tastes more like Wendy's chili.

As far as pepperocini's: they are made from sweet banana peppers that are pickled. If you are buying them from the store, they may have sugar in the pickling solution so be sure you read the ingredients.