Old 01-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #1  

Smile Sanctuary - #3 Everyone Welcome

What we really want in a weight loss support group, boiled down to one concept; we are looking for a sanctuary.

Sanctuary means different things to different people. Sanctuary is a place of peace, rest, safety, and rejuvenation. It keeps our spirit and our sanity intact.

Many of us who have a long journey down the weight loss path find ourselves in need of a break. Sometimes our bodies crave it, and sometimes the choice isn’t ours, but circumstance forces it upon us. Other times, we need the clamoring throng to cheer us along our way as we breeze past milestones and overcome obstacles.

Sanctuary can be all that as well. It is what you need and when you need it. Sanctuary can be found in good friends who aren’t afraid of your truths and in an open, honest atmosphere.

Sanctuary isn’t judgmental, neither does it discriminate or ask to be censured. It is open to anyone with a desire to share, and especially those in need of and willing to offer support.

Last edited by LuckyLadyBug; 01-22-2005 at 10:25 PM.
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:57 PM   #2  

Thumbs up

Geez, I started the new thread at work and was that a fiaso.

It would keep locking up on me, then throwing me back out - I couldn't tell where I was or if I was posting or not, hence the changes. I had to try to type from memory on the name of the thread - missed the "new thread" part

Anyway, they are predicting snow tomorrow - I sort of wish it would be bad in the morning so I could just stay home. I could use some extra time off.

So, what was the decision - 2 pounds in two weeks from Jan 24th to Feb 7th?

Who's in: (copy & paste the list and add yours)

Lucky

I will be back later.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:24 PM   #3  

Lucky
Jawsmom

Yea! I got my scale back and I've lost 2 lbs since I weighed last. So, I am psyched for our challenge. Do we track the loss individually or do we combine all of our weights and see what the group as a whole loses? Or both? I've never done one of these before (obviously).

Snow, Lucky? My goodness - we were at 65 degrees this afternoon and it was an beautiful day. The problem is that it goes from cold to hot here in no time. My laundry hamper is half full of shorts and half full of sweaters. I wouldn't know a REAL season if it bit me on the rear.

I am doing really well on my plan. I don't know why this happens but I've just gotten to a point that I'm tired enough of all of the planning that NOTHING seems worth all the measuring and weighing and I just sort of lose my appetite. Under the circumstances that is a good thing. But, alas, it never lasts.

I've just about decided that it is time to join a gym for some official exercise. I do pretty well working out at home, walking, etc. But I'm not seeing as much physical improvement as I would like. I had gotten down to about 150 a couple of years ago and I remember when I had hit the 175 range (close to where I am now). I had worked out daily at the gym back then and there is a HUGE difference between 180 with lots of exercise and 180 with only a moderate amount of exercise. I had hoped to get away without joining again because I hate the idea of paying for something that I can do for free. But, I've decided that actually going to the gym has enough of a mental impact on that I feel a bit more motivated overall. Plus $40 a month on a gym membership leaves me with 40 less dollars to spend on cake (or chips, or fast food, whatever I'm craving that month). I think I'll call around tomorrow and see if anybody is running a special.

I hope you all had a succesful day and I look forward to our challenge.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:08 PM   #4  

Wink

Tricia:You are my new hero - you are doing so well.

Quote:
Do we track the loss individually or do we combine all of our weights and see what the group as a whole loses? Or both? I've never done one of these before (obviously).
I will volunteer to keep track of our pounds lost as a group - its my way of making myself PAY ATTENTION!!!! That is my big downfall in many areas - I have great intentions but once my day gets started I "forget"! Life seems to just take over and I don't stop and remind myself of my "good" intentions.

So, on Feb 6/7th post your loss and I will keep track and add them all up for our total two week loss. Okay?????

I am blaming the weather but my fibro is rearing it's ugly head - I have hurt a lot all week and am tired of it.

Off to relax for a while - I think I need some "rice sock" therapy.

Night all.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:37 PM   #5  

Lucky
Jawsmom
Laura

Hi everyone!
Another hectic day (aren't they all?). My para pro at school is after me to get together stuff for next year. My building is being renovated this summer and everything in our room has to be packed up and moved out before the last day of school. We will probably start back late, have to go Saturdays to make up days, and will come in with the kids instead of having any pre-planning time. We've been told that our stuff, including the furniture, will most likely be delivered to our classroom the day the kids come in. So my para keeps telling me to get everything we will need for the first month and she will copy, laminate, etc so we will at least have something to start the year with. She is right of course, but trying to teach now and get stuff together for next year is difficult! OK, I'm whining...I hate it when I do that!

Enough about my junk-

Jawsmom: I have loved your scale saga but I'm glad you got it back in time for the challenge!

Barb PA: Green smilie faces? At least you can laugh over it and hey, if that's what it takes...! I hope everything goes well for you!

Lucky: I've only caught a few episodes of Lost (choir on Wednesdays ) but it is a really cool show. I'll catch it when it comes out on DVD or they re-run it on another night. Nora Roberts is great reading - everytime she does a trilogy, it drives me nuts until the next book comes out!

Skittles: Rhys' name came straight out of a book (Sidney Sheldon's Bloodline to be exact! Did I tell you I love to read?...) but I loved the spelling of it (and the Sidney Sheldon's Rhys was a fabulous character!).

Kat: Nice quote! Maybe everyone can make it till spring!

Chris: I like the Walk Away the Pounds tapes and use them sometimes on rainy days. I do scrapbooking too but don't have as much time to work on it as I would like. I found that last summer, if I left all my stuff strown out on the dining room table, I actually got a lot done - 1 page at a time . So what if I had a messy dining room? No one eats in there...

Tony: Believe it or not, my youngest son had a Betta that lived for a couple of years! He must have taken great care of that fish...

Andria: Forget your fear of gaining the weight back. You have come so far and are doing great! You are going to make it to that weight you saw 14 years ago!!! Hang in there!

Hope I didn't miss anyone! If I did, I apologize and will catch you later. I need some sleep...my para pro will have me hunting through stuff again tomorrow...

Laura
southern gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:50 AM   #6  
a work in progress...

Lovely day today...if you don't mind 15 degrees...at least it's sunny! Tomorrow we're supposed to get a bit of snow.

I got my batteries for my scale, so I'll count my Monday morning weight, and give myself a chance to let this bloat move on! With that in mind, I'll add myself to the list:

2 LBS IN 2 WEEKS CHALLENGE (2x2) 1/24-2/7
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lucky
Jawsmom
Laura
Kat

I like Monday morning weighing...tends to keep me honest over the weekend! Well, theoretically.

I have to get to the post office. We're getting invitations out this week for the folks' 50th anniversary party. You'll probably be hearing me yammering about this for the next couple of months. That and our upcoming trip to Playa del Carmen, Mexico! Ole! Which means I have that much MORE incentive to get my arse in gear and get this weight loss moving at a more expedient pace!

So many things I need to discuss...like Lost, for instance! Great show!

Oh! And! Lucky has graciously volunteered to keep track of our losses during the challenge, so I will offer my services as to keep us motivated and on track!! SO LOOK OUT!

Okay, gotta run!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #7  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

Sorry to not have been here as much the last few days. I've been struggling to stay out of a funk and had a lot of outside pressures on me. Yesterday it seemed to break. The sun was shining, it was almost 65 outside, and I had a terrific physical therapy session. After the session I went to WI and was up 1.5 lbs., but you know, it didn't dump me in the toilet mentally. I was surprised it wasn't a loss, but I know it will be there next week. My validation wasn't coming from a scale.

I haven't slept yet, so I'm a little groggy for replies right now. Wanted to let you all know that I loved the bios, though! And I like both BarbG and Lucky's ideas for how to keep track of the bios.

2 LBS IN 2 WEEKS CHALLENGE (2x2) 1/24-2/7
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lucky
Jawsmom
Laura
Kat
Andria

Going to go get some rest now! Take care, everyone

Andria
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:02 PM   #8  

Smile

Well, for those that have been through winter with me before - I have been shoveling!!!!!

We finally got snow - then rain so that stuff is HEAVY.

Off to get dry and eat - will reply then.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #9  

Hello, everybody! I had another good day today - got in plenty of exercise. It was a beautiful day, sunny and 70 degrees so I made my way to the park and hit the walking trail. DH took the day off and he hung out with the kids while I took a short nap this afternoon. I swear, I miss naps more than I do chips and chocolate. It was a real treat for me.
I've been really determined to lose weight this time around. I won't go so far as to say it has been easy but it really hasn't been as painful as it has been in the past. I don't know what is different but I sure hope it sticks, whatever it is.
My sister had a heart attack a few months ago. She is and always has been a skinny minnie - probably has never seen a day over 115 lbs. and is really very fit all around. But she has inherited the high blood pressure and cholesterol problems that plagued my gradparents. Somehow, despite my weight, I am as healthy as a horse. My cholesterol has been high but is completely self-inflicted. I don't have a problem normalizing it through diet. I think when she had to have the stint put in her heart it scared me. Obviously I was afraid for her but, once she was well I couldn't shake how lucky I am not to have those problems genetically. Then it hit me that I was completely STUPID to be taking that luck for granted. If I were to die of heart disease at an early age it would be all my fault. That opened my eyes and is probably what is driving me this time.
I hope everyone is doing well and feeling good. I am sooooo psyched for our challenge. I just know we are all going to do GREAT! It is so nice having a group of such nice people sharing a common goal. Hmmm, that is probably part of the difference for me this time too. I owe you guys a big thank you!
Well, I'm off to flip the chicken - we are BBQing tonight. Of course, I had to take the skin off of mine - but I'll survive. I usually don't like that part anyway. Maybe now that it is officially "forbidden fruit" is making it seem more appealing than usual. LOL.
Hope you all had a fabulous day!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:43 PM   #10  

Hi everyone!
I'm glad all of you seem to be in good spirits! I always am on Fridays!!! Hooray, I get to sleep late tomorrow...I don't mind working, it's the getting up I can't stand!

Kat, what a great incentive! A trip to Mexico sounds wonderful...we never get any further than the soccer fields with the boys schedules. I envy you. And I know you are going to look just great!

Andria, glad your physical therapy session went well. Keep up the great attitude about the fluctuations in your weight loss. I really think that makes all the difference.

Lucky, look at it this way - snow shoveling has to be great exercise! Being a Southern Gal, I wouldn't know. We never have snow...wait take it back. My principal has arranged for a snow blower to turn my school into a "Winter Wonderland" for all the effort the kids did in raising money for the tsunami survivors. I may get to see snow yet!

Jawsmom, we had 70 degree temps today too. It was wonderful! I kept my class out way past our appointed outside time just because I was enjoying it so much! That is really scary about your sister. But you are making sure something good comes out of it by getting healthier yourself. Keep being an inspiration to the rest of us!

I'm really feeling proud of myself today. Junk food/Fast food is one of my biggest downfalls but I made it through 2 opportunites to blow it today. We always order out on Fridays at school (Chick Fil A delivers to us!). I looked up all the calorie counts and actually made healthy choices! Then I get home and my DH nixed my dinner plans because he and the boys were having junk food withdrawals. They wanted Captain D's and again, I actually made healthy choices. Feeling good about my day was well worth skipping the normal junk I eat from those kinds of places!

I'm gearing up for our Monday weigh in and look forward to the challenge! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Laura
southern gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:07 AM   #11  
a work in progress...

Default hey all...

All this talk of 70 degrees is making me jealous! They're talking 12-20 inches of snow for us in this neck of the woods. I feel like I'm up in Lucky country! Dh did give me a rundown on how to operate the snowblower, since he has to go in to work early. He'll be taking my 4wd and leaving me his Honda Civic...not generally noted for their performance in blizzard conditions! I'm scheduled to work tonight, but now I'm not sure I'll be going in. Dilemma: If I wait for them (the hospital) to pick me up... ...I may never get home in the morning! Plus that will leave my son home alone in a huge storm....I may have to wheel and deal an exchange for the day shift or something.

jawsmom...You make a great point about taking your good health for granted. I've been lucky so far too, I know that I am tempting fate by courting all the possible diseases that obesity can bring on. Time to put a stop to that.

Laura...Sounds like you've made some great, conscientious decisions, even in the face of all those fast food choices! Atta girl! Hmmmph...another one with the 70 degrees! I'll be thinking of you Southern gals later, when I'm outside shoveling and freezing!

Andria...Amazing what a little sunshine and some physical activity will do to keep the funk at bay! Sorry about the gain, but maybe it's all that muscle you're building! At any rate...you've got a great attitude about it. I was impressed by these words:
Quote:
My validation wasn't coming from a scale.

Lucky...So, how's the shoveling? Are you still getting snow?

Skittles...How about your part of the world? Lots o' snow for you too?

BarbPa...In the snow belt also...Stay warm!

Tony's down in Texas with BarbG, so I know that you all are escaping this funky weather too.

I was out and about at 6:30 this am, as I dropped my son off to his fellow Scouts for their Klondike Derby. I wasn't sure if they needed more drivers, so I dressed for the weather. The temp, at that time was about 10. Thanks be, they had enough drivers, so I didn't have to go! So, I headed on over to the grocery store bright and early, as did everyone else in town! I've been to the post office and now I should be done running around. It's already starting to snow, they said not until noon. Oh well. It's just prettily swirling down now, slowly working it's way up to raging blizzard status!

I'd better get a move on here. Gonna make some soup and homemade bread (well, bread machine) for hubby to bring to work.

Have a great Saturday everyone. Start thinking about Monday's challenge! Write down what you plan to do to achieve that 2lb loss. Plan your work and work your plan as my mom always said!

later...
Old 01-22-2005, 11:04 AM   #12  

YUCK!!! I have snow drifts everywhere.

The wind was so bad last night I got the power companies phone number, my cell phone and my winter survival kit from the car and put them all by my bed!!!!

Luckily, didn't need them.

It is still blowing but seems "nicer" in the light. It the dark of night it is spooky!!!! No wonder I have stress!!!

I have to get some cleaning/organizing done in my laundry, computer, library room and then get back here to post!!!

YIPPEE
I see sun trying to break through. Posting to all of you is bringing me good luck!!!!!

Old 01-22-2005, 11:11 AM   #13  
Focus on the Process

S/C/G: 247/247/165

Height: 5' 8"

If you want to label anyone MIA...it would be me. I have so many things to keep track of on here sometimes I forget to check in with you.

We are almost done with our fireplace. My husband put the grout on the tiles and the last thing to do is stain the wood and seal it. It looks good considering it was a first time job for both of us. Next is sanding the sheetrock, then priming, and painting.

For all of you~Last week we were doing -15 degrees. This week we haven't gotten lower than 41. So all the snow we had gotten is melted off. I'm just waiting for the next wave of snow to hit. WOnder when that will be?

No time for personals...plus I don't know you guys all that well so I'm still trying to figure out who everyone is. The only one's I'm familiar with are Jawsmom and Ageoldie.

~chris
chrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 325/

Height: 5'8"

Well blow me down, into the soft fluffy white stuff that keeps falling from the sky and filled my truck bed and covered my car so that I couldn't even find where I parked it. There is so much snow outside and we shoveled and less than an hour later there was more snow outside. It is suppose to keep snowing today, mostly lake affect snow now. But I can't believe how much snow there is. It hasn't snowed this much since..., well I can't remember. Of course, it would snow like this right after we buy a house and don't own a snowblower yet and we have to shovel. Have I rambled enough. See how much I am rambling, it was snowing a lot more than that.

Ok, well, I have to unpack today, I plan on getting all of my books unpacked and all of my knick knacks done today, so that will be about 30 boxes. Woo Hoo!

Lucky, hope you are surviving over there, Don't over do it shoveling, That stuff is hard.

Kat, is this stuff headed your way?

Jaws, I am a Duranie, I had it all plastered on my wall like a giant collage of lip gloss, big hair and 3 piece suits. I never got to see them live when I was a kid. So a year and a half ago when they first got back together, my husband took me to the House of Blues in Chicago, and I was less then 20 feet away from them, I could see the sweat and oh, it was the greatest thing ever, so much better than seeing them in an arena would have been. They are coming to Milwaukee on the 19th of March, I am planning on going to that, as long as it is at a small venue, and well as long as it isn't postponed since Roger broke his foot. Have you gotten the new album, it is wonderful. I'm sorry but I could talk for hours about them and the music and how they have affected my life. Who was your favorite? I am a Simon girl, even though I loved them all.

Ok, I am back to being 36 again, out of 15 mode

It sounds like everyone is doing good. I will be doing great once I get all unpacked and find my bills So I am for now to get my projects for the weekend started, I have put a lot on my list, and that is because I can't stand looking at boxes.

Love you all,
Skittles
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #15  
a work in progress...

This 'stuff' is not only headed my way, Skittles, it is HERE! Those soft, swirly flakes I mentioned earlier quickly morphed into driving snow. It's not real wet though, so it's still easy to shovel. I just cleared off the cars, and helped dh get out and off to work. As quickly as I'd clear one side of the car, it was completely covered again before I'd clear the other side. It's nice though. So pretty and peaceful. A LOT warmer outside than it's been. We haven't gotten Lucky's wind from Minnesota yet...but this storm is supposed to last ALL NIGHT LONG. Yeah, I'm not going to work. I doubt there will be too many admissions tonight anyway.

My son's not home yet. I'm sure they're taking their time on the snowy roads, so I won't worry yet. YET...

He just called. All is well. *sigh of relief*

see you later, gators!