Support Groups - New Group...Fit by Forty #1

View Full Version : New Group...Fit by Forty #1

krazykellyontario
01-19-2005, 12:59 PM
I decided to start a new group here. Fit by Forty. I'm almost 33 and I want to have this eating and exercise under control so that when the forty's roll around, I'll have some smooth sailing through them.
Anyone who wants to be fit by forty is more than welcome to join this group. This will be an open minded, out spoken, but very supportive group. We'll share our ups and downs, our ins and outs, new food finds, new recipes, we'll have daily exercise accountability and weekly weigh-ins.
We'll try to have a different daily/weekly goal for all of us to work at, such as, drinking 8 glasses a day, exercising 30 min a day for a week, daily exercise challenges as well, like 3 sets of 10 push ups etc.
The main reason that we all should be here is for weightloss and supporting one another. And I'm sure we'll all make some good friends along the way.
If you'd like to join this group, just cut and paste this "introduction" of sort into your reply.
Name: Kelly

DH/DB/DK: DH Patrick of 8 1/2 yrs, DS 14 yrs DD 11 yrs

Pets: 2 cats..Tango and Cash and 1 black female lab Chevy

Work: Full time waitress and supervisor at a Steakhouse

Exercise: 30 minutes a day to Sharon Mann's morning T.V. program

Goals: To lose 11 lbs by summer. Making a lifestyle change, learning to eat better and healthy, with proper portion control, focusing on fruits and veggies, fish, poultry and pork..limiting carbs, and exercising at least 5 times a week, and to be ready for swimsuit season.

krazykellyontario
01-19-2005, 05:35 PM
I know there has to be some takers! LOL

kimberlydrn
01-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Name: Kim
DS-13
Location-Jonesboro, AR
Pet: Cat named Navi (short for Navidad, we found him on Christmas)
Work: RN in the ICU
Exercise: 45-70 minutes on eliptical 4days/week, weights 2-3 days/week, 50 minutes of circuit training one day/week, exercise video WATP 1 day/week, Sunday's for resting.
Goals: Short term: 2/4-148
Final goal weight: 4/1-135
Another goal is to add more vegetables to my diet.

chocolatecatz
01-19-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm in!! I'll be 40 in 9 months!!

Can I get to 150 by then? hmmm maybe..Please keep me on track.

WOOHOO!!! i'm PSYCHED!!! :p :D :coffee: :lol:

Name: Maria

DH/DB/DK: DH Rob 17 yrs married 2 kids

Pets: 3 cats..1 gecko

Work: Cake decorator

Exercise: 30-45 minutes 4-5 times a week/ including weights

Goals: to be 218 by 2/14; 190 by June; 170 by October; 150 by January 06
THEN TRY AND GET TO 125 so I can get into a red bikini by June 06

krazykellyontario
01-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Welcome ladies!

Kim you seem to be right on track. It's always the last 10 lbs or so are the hardest to lose. So I'm told. Your pic looks great! How long ago did you find your cat at Christmas? Sounds like a really nice story.

Marie, you sound like you are pumped! Being a cake decorator must try your will power! I know how it can be as I work in a restaurant. How old are your kids? Does the rest of your family like the idea of trying new recipes and foods?

Check in and post often. I want to know how you are doing and what's going on with you throughout the day.
I've done pretty well today. Cept for the icecream I ate this afternoon. But I shovelled the friggin snow 3 times today and I took the dog for a walk plus I did my half hour of exercise this morning so I think I can swing the icecream. Are either of you following a specific diet? I'm just trying to eat healthy really. Hoping that with that and exercising that everything will fall into place, or fall out of place I guess..lmao
Not doing nothing tonight. Going to check and see what's on the t.v. I'm a reality t.v. junkie! Mostly shows like the bachelor/ette, American/Canadian Idol. Trading Spouses. But I do love all the CSI shows, Without a Trace and pretty much anything on the Food Network.
Tomorrow I'm working a split, 10:30 till 2ish and then back in at 6 till around 10ish. I never really have a set time when I'm going to be done. All depends on how busy we are.
Well I'm off to check some other threads. Looking forward to getting to know you both more!

kimberlydrn
01-20-2005, 12:31 AM
Wow. You both have challenging jobs. I would be pigging out on cake. Steak and steak fries sound pretty good too. I had been doing so well since Dec. 26th, and for some reason today I blew it. I had an all out binge. I've been doing ww flex points with some girls that I work with, but I don't go to meetings. I haven't been able to control myself today for some reason....it may be PMS. Actually, I have stayed within points using the flex points system. This is the first time I've used any flex points since Christmas. Oh well, tomorrow's a new day. Kelly, I also like Trading Spaces. I've been hooked on The Biggest Loser here lately, but last night was the last show. Thanks for the compliment on my pic. I got my cat Christmas before last. My girlfriend found him at our church. Someone had dropped him off there. She was going to keep him herself, but he didn't get along with her cat. My son and I love him. He is always getting into mischief though. It is so great to meet the two of you. I'll try to check in daily.

krazykellyontario
01-20-2005, 03:54 PM
How is everyone doing today so far? I'm right on track I think! LOL Did my 1/2 exercise program then after I got done my lunch shift I came home and took the dog out for a half hour walk. I think she's pooped out!

KimI get that some times too when I'm pmsing. I eat what ever is in sight and sometimes it looks like there is no end to the eating! LOL Just stay focused and ask yourself these questions before you given...Am I really hungry? Do I really want/need this? How is this going to help my weightloss? Hope that helps for ya. Should practice what I preach! LOL

MarieHow is your day going? Did you get your exercise in yet today? Hope your eating is good today for ya.

I'm off to check out some other threads. Good luck and I'll talk with you soon.

kimberlydrn
01-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Hello. I've had a great day so far. I stayed up late last night to get back on night shift schedule, and I slept until 4:00pm. I went to the gym at 5:00 and did a circuit training class for 50 minutes, then the treadmill for 15 minutes, then the elliptical for 35 minutes. Whew....100 minutes of cardio. I'm off to a good start. For my first meal, I had Kashi heart to heart cereal with skim milk (2 servings). I love that stuff. I've had 40 ounces of water so far. I have to work 11p-7a tonight, then in the morning I have my first meeting with a personal trainer. It's actually an intern so I get to see her for free. Is that awesome or what?!? I hope I learn some good stuff. I hope she shows me how to get rid of this hail damage on my butt and the back of my legs. Wish me luck girls. Talk to ya later.

kimberlydrn
01-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Well, I just got home and I am so tired. I have a wonderul personal trainer. I'm going to be soooo sore tomorrow. She measured my body fat and to my surprise it was 22.3. The normal for a female is 18-22. She told me that a college athletes is usually 20. I can't hardly believe it. 4 months ago I could barely do 30 minutes of cardio and weighed 175 pounds. I can't wait to lose these last 18 pounds. She thinks I'll drop 6 within the next 2 weeks with the new workouts. That would be great. Then I'd only have 12 to go. I may be able to wear a bathing suit this summer after all. How are you girls doing? Hows the exercise going? I'll probably just wake up at 5:30 and go straight into work. Have a great day!

krazykellyontario
01-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Good day ladies!
Just got in from workin my lunch shift. And let me tell you how friggin cold it is here in Ontario! It's -18degrees celsius and that's not including the wind chill factor! I'm getting sick and tired of winter already!
I did well last night, hubby made one of those deliciosous pizza and I only had one slice of it where as I could easily devour half the pizza!
Not much going on today. I'm doing good eating so far, and I got my exercise in this morning. Too cold to take the dog our for a walk today so I'm hoping it will be a bit warmer out tomorrow.

Kim Great going on your exercises! You'll be a skinny minny in no time flat! Does work those funny shifts have any impact on your weightloss...negative or possitive? Hope you aren't to sore tomorrow. Anything planned for this weekend?

Well, I'm off to check out some other threads, I'll check in later.

kimberlydrn
01-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Wow, Kelly. Great job on the pizza. I have no control with the stuff. I usually eat like half a medium. It's been a couple of months though. In 2 weeks, I'm going to reward myself with a "cheat day" and I'm planning on ordering one of those Dominos doublemelt pizzas. I can't wait. They are sooooo good. Way to go with your eating and exercise! I did good yesterday. I stayed within my points. Working the night shift does make it hard with weight loss. I want to munch more on the night shift, most night nurses do. Eating is a big stress reliever up there sometimes too. Fortunately most of us are dieting and that makes it a little easier. Most people are starting to backslide though. Actually, I'm not sore yet, for some reason. Well, I've got to get some sleep. Stay warm!

kannwilson
01-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Hi all! I'll join! I'm new to 3FC but not new to trying to lose weight. I'll be 40 in just under 2 years and boy that sounds scary. I want to be fit by 40!

Name: Karen

DH/DB/DK: DH Les of 4 yrs, DD Kat, 19 yrs

Pets: None at this time

Work: Spanish teacher both in the classroom and Interactive Distance Learning

Exercise: Water aerobics 3-4 times a week, stationary bike and universal weights 2-3 times a week

Goals: Ultimate goal to get to 145. Mini goals to lose 7 pounds by 2/21/05, drink 6-8 glasses of water daily, eat healthy and exercise regularly.

Abstract927
01-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Name: Sherrie

DH/DB/DK: married to DH for 13 years no children

Pets: Cutest Bichon Frise on the planet -might be biased though :)

Work: Mixed media artist (and work part-time in the Registrar's Office of a College)

Exercise: working my way up to Weight training - 3 times a week, aerobic activity 5 times a week. Not doing so great yet

Goals: Ultimate goal to get to 125-130. Mini goals to lose 6 pounds by Valentines Day (another challenge on these boards)

Pleased to meet you all,

Hello Kelly -- girl can I relate-- it's been cold here in northern Alberta too. Does nothing to encourage me to go outside. Today we had a repreave though -- all the way up to +8 (from -40 last weekend during a cold snap). For those of you who don't know, we Canadians are almost ready to break out our summer shorts on days like this -- our winters last so long and once you've experienced the really cold stuff - +8 feels downright balmy....

Hi Kim -- look at you go with all that exercise. How inspiring.

Hi Marie -- Ooh that red bikini has to be motivating. You can do it!

Buenos dias Karen (hope I did that right - grade 11 spanish was A LONG time ago LOL) We have 2 years - 1 pound at a time. 40 - here we come!

The past few days have been an absolute minefield but so far I am proud (actually a more accurate word would be ASTOUNDED)to say that I haven't caved in. When I got to my office on Friday someone had left chocolates on my keyboard. When I walked into our lunch room a co-worker brought in freshly baked banana loaf to share. At 11:45 our boss brought in 9 large pizzas as a staff thank you. We keep a movie style popcorn machine in our office and at 3:30 another co-worker decided that a truckload of popcorn popped in oil sounded really good. At 4:00 pm I got a staff e-mail reminding me of dip-day next friday......Good grief. Thank goodness I job share and don't have to be around that all the time. I arrived home at
6:00 pm to a bag full of Reese's Peanut Butter cups on my kitchen counter (and a large container of bakery fresh cookies) - "because they were on sale" according to my DH who doesn't understand what it means to have food issues since he has the metabolism of a cheetah but justifies everything as "it's okay because I didn't buy it for you". A darling man in most ways but he just doesn't get it when it comes to this....sigh

So far I've been doing really well with the eating half of my plan. I have yet to really engage in the exercise half....but I'm working on it.

Here's to a new week free (or at lease less cluttered) of minefields. Hope you're all having a great day!

:D

krazykellyontario
01-24-2005, 08:30 AM
Good Morning ladies! And a big welcome to Karen and Sherrie!
How was everyone's weekend? I had an enjoyable weekend, but as for eating wise, it went out the window. And it showed this morning on the scale. I'm up a lb from last week. Seems I'm heading in the wrong direction and I just started! LOL It is TOM and I could blame it on that, or it might even it's self out over the week. I'll just have to watch myself more carefully on the weekend and no more going out after work for a burger and a few glasses of wine!
I really didn't get any exercise in this weekend except for shovelling some snow yesterday. We got dumped on again on saturday! It snowed all friggin day and into the night on Saturday. How depressing.

KIM Good for you for not back sliding with the other nurses. And you are doing great with your exercises! I need to step mine up a bit more I think.

KAREN Welcome aboard! It sounds like you are well on your way to your goals! Come back and tell us how your day went!

SHERRIE Great to see a fellow Canadian here! Sounds like we have similar dhs. Mine works in a big bakery where they make the muffins, cookies and bagels for Tim Hortons and they make the McGriddles for McDonalds. Well they have there own store at the plant where the employees can buy all of the above mentioned and then some. Which he usually does and brings them home and says they are for the kids. Yeah right. I have got to stay away from all those goodies! LOL Sounds like you did great on Friday by not indulging on any of the treats that crossed paths with you!
Well I'm off to check out some other threads and to get dd up for school. Everyone have a great day and I'll check back in later.

krazykellyontario
01-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Just reporting that I got my 30 min of exercise in!(pilates)

chocolatecatz
01-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Hello ALL!!have a healthy week!

Did my 45 minutes aerobics and 15 min arm strength training (I do arm, legs three times a week).

Want to lose 2 lbs this week. We'll see how it goes.

WOOHOO

Loren DeLynn
01-24-2005, 03:10 PM
:wave: Hello! My name is Loren

Will be 38 years of age in March
Married to John for 4 1/2 years
We have a blended family...his two boys are 23 & 20...my two boys are 18 & 16. Our children together are 2 dogs we adopted named Skeeter & Dottie.
We live in Covington, Louisiana
Our current weight loss routine consists of walking on treadmill every-other day for 45 minutes or 2 miles...whichever comes last! And Weight Watchers (which we just started practicing a week & a half ago).

Maybe it's unfair...I already have a buddy...my husband. We started this journey just after Christmas when I went to workout at Slender Lady (which is like Curves) & they had closed their doors without warning. :?:
His youngest son went to Marines Bootcamp only 2 days after Christmas & my DH vowed to get fit by the time his son came home. So we joined a Fitness Club together. We enjoy each others company while walking on the treadmill & the compititon keeps us motivated! :tread: But I really miss the "all womens" environment I was in at Slender Lady. :( There are just some things I would rather share with other women & not my DH.

I found 3FC while surfing the web looking for new recipes so we wouldn't feel so much like we were on a diet...I registered & checked out the forums & saw this one! I though...this is where I need to be! So if you ladies will have me, I'd like to chat more! :^:

My weekend was the worse since my new journey began... :stress:
it seems as though having the law at your house 3 times in one night will drive some of us to drink several beers & eat 4 slices of pizza...having all boys really keeps you on your toes!

I will pray about my situation & get back on track...thanks for listening!
Loren

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/purpvinebar/sliderbug/lb/150/125/141/

krazykellyontario
01-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Just checking in.
MARIA Great going on your exercise for today! How's your eating going?

Loren Welcome to the group! The more the merrier! How's the weather in Louisiana? Looks like we are getting another friggin snow storm today! Like we haven't enough snow yet! Yikes, sounds like you and I had the same eating/drinking problem this weekend! Now that I know it's going to hinder my weightloss, I'm definately not going to do that again. Feel free to vent and ups and downs here. That's what we are all here for. Sharing support in whatever form is needed at the time.

I'll try in pop back in later tonight when I get home from work.
Till then, drink your water and watch what you put in your mouth!

kimberlydrn
01-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Hello ladies! I made it through the weekend (I work weekends, by the way). Welcome Karen, Sherri, and Loren. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Sherri, Way to go for not caving in at work. That would have been impossible for me.

Kelly, I also gained 1 pound over the weekend. I ate a little more than usual, but I wouldn't have thought I would have gained a pound. It may be water.

Loren, I'm also doing weight watchers. I love it! It's pretty easy to follow. Are you doing core or flex?
Well, I worked with my trainer again this morning. I did 15 minutes on the treadmill, 15 minutes on the stairstepper (hard), and 50 minutes of circuit training. It was a great workout. I never thought I would say this, but I think I'm enjoying this exercising. I feel like I'm addicted to it now. I just feel bad when I don't do it. Well, I've got to finish fixing my son's supper. Have a great night!

chocolatecatz
01-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Hi Kelly!

Im eating!! hahahaha

It's going good I hope. But there are days I think I did great with the eating and I show a rise in weight..other days I think I did bad and I show a loss. GO FIGURE!!

WOOHOO staying positive!!

Abstract927
01-25-2005, 12:41 AM
Hello ladies, just checking in...

Hi Loren -- I don't think it is possible to have too many buddies so welcome aboard. I am really happy that you have not just a great buddy but also a great weight loss buddy in your DH.

Kelly - "a big bakery where they make the muffins, cookies and bagels for Tim Hortons and they make the McGriddles for McDonalds" -- as my norwegian grandmother used to say - oofta! Stay strong girlfriend!

Kim - Thanks. Who knew? I thought it was impossible for me too -- Friday was ridiculous! I have had to resort to creating a rule for my DH (and I'm not big on rules) no visible food -- particularly junk food. He needs to keep it hidden in cupboards or drawers but not in plain view on the kitchen counter...at least until I'm stronger in my resolve.

Congratulations to all of you who are committed to exercise. I know I need to do it but am having the worst time getting going. My head knows how much better I feel especially after a few weeks of consistency but my rear end just isn't buying it! LOL I hope soon I'll be able to echo Kim's comment about being addicted to exercise.....

I thought I might get a nice outdoor walk in today with my bichon since the weather has turned so warm here (+6 to +8 clear and sunny -- sorry Kelly!) but that didn't work out so well. It seems that true to form once we walked far enough for the little guy to empty his bladder his idea of a walk became him being carried around by me while he gawked around sniffing the air. Needless to say that got old really fast... I have the only dog I know that loves walks just not the actual walking part -- LOL

To focus on the positive, I'm committed to healthy eating and have been consistent since I started. Frustrating thing though because my weight just doesn't seem to want to budge right now and I am definitely not eating too much (if anything not enough some days which can cause weight to plateau temporarily I'm told) -- that's my cue to get moving I guess...treadmill tomorrow. I mean it!

'night girls, hope you have a fabulous tomorrow :)

Sherrie

krazykellyontario
01-25-2005, 10:14 AM
How did everyone do yesterday? I think I did fairly well. Came home from work around 7ish and dh had dinner going for us. Spaghetti and sauce with diced chicken and mushrooms. Very thoughtful of him. Cept he put way too much on my plate. But you'll be happy to know that I didn't eat it all. Thank goodness I had a salad to start off my meal or else I might of ate it all..lol
Then while the Bachlorette was on I broke down and had rice crispie treat that had some chocolate on it. I guess it wasn't that bad of a choice considering the other things I could of had.
So far this morning I've done my 30 minutes of exercise and had a bowl of Special K with mandrin oranges in it..yummy. Need to think of something for dinner though. Something I can do in the oven...like a casserole.

KIM I know what you mean about liking the exercise. I'm starting to come around with it myself. And I do have more energy throughout the day. I work weekends too...so I know where you're coming from.

MARIA Glad to hear things are going good for you. I've got to stay focused or else I'm be worse off then when I started. I've decided to keep a food journal and track my calories. Notice I said track and not count! LOL

SHERRIE Do you have any exercise videos you can do? Leslie Sansons Walk Away the Pounds is a good one. I get bored easily so I can't do the same workout day in or day out or else I'd through in the towel. That's why I workout to an exercise program on T.V. everyone morning. Did you manage to get on the tredmill yet? Not exactly sure what a bichon doggie looks like right off the top of my head, but it can't be very big right now if you can carry him around..lol

Nothing exciting planned here for the day. Need to tidy the house and do some laundry but I'm waiting for the dishwasher to be finished before I can start the laundry. I have to work at 6 tonight so I'm able to eat at home and not at work.
Anyways...I'm off to check out some other threads. I'll pop back in here later on and see how you are all makin out.

Loren DeLynn
01-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Good Morning Ladies,

Well the decision was made last night to end my little "pity-party"! I sat down & planned my menu for the week, & now I'm on my way to work out. After that, I am going to the grocery store, then prep everything I need to prepare dinner when I get off of the bus this afternoon! After I sent my DH to the fitness center without me yesterday, I knew it was time to pull myself together before I totally distroyed my progress. It's been 5 days since I last went to work out...I didn't eat anything yesterday...nor did I drink any water :o ...I know this behavior can not continue! So thanks ladies for the opportunity to vent!

Kelly...Hi! I'm not sure I want to tell you how the weather is here...sounds like ya'll are in a mess up there...put it to you this way...I don't think I could surrvive those bone-chilling temps. For me, Sunday & Monday were horrible...i couldn't get warm for anything...temps were about 32 degrees with winds gusting @ 20-25 mph (at night). Highs were about 40 degrees with same wind gusts. Today is beautiful...lots of sunshine! Living here all of my life has, without a doubt, made me a warm climate person!

Kim...I'm not really sure which version of WW I'm on...I got all this information about 3 years ago when I joined. Went to a few meetings & gave up after about a month & a half. I like the concept a lot...just need more recipes so we aren't eating the same things over & over again. After working out for 2 weeks, I lost 5 pounds...then started WW again, & in only 1 week, I lost 4 more pounds! My DH lost 6 pounds after being on the plan for 1week! For me I think it boosted my metabolisim...see, in the past, I didn't eat breakfast...I'd get up at 5:00 am - take a travel mug of coffee while I'm on my bus route - come home at 9:00 - piddle around the house - and eat a big brunch around 10:30-11:00. At 2:00, I'd get back on my bus till 5:00 & eat a big dinner - top that off with ice cream...now - I still take my coffee with me but when I get home in the morning, I eat a breakfast worth about 3 points - drink a 32 oz cup of water - I'll eat a piece of fruit as a snack a short time later - My lunch is usually a 4 point meal which I eat closer to noon. I take a V8 & another 32 oz cup of water with me when I start my afternoon run - when I get home for the evening, I go work out. During the day, I now prep everything needed for dinner so after my work out, I can prepare dinner which is usually worth about 8-9 points. We eat by 6:30-6:45. Our evening snack is usually Jello or some other Low Point snack.
Bottom line...I eat more often, but am losing weight... Works for me!!! ;)
Any ideas about new recipes would be great...also, any advice for meal planning would be greatly appreciated!

Sherrie...thanks so much for your kind words. I DO feel very fortunate to have my DH beside me through this whole life-change journey we are on.

Well...it's off to the gym for me...45 minutes or 2 miles...whichever comes last! :tread:

Have a blessed day ladies...I'll check back this evening!

Loren

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/purpvinebar/sliderbug/lb/150/125/141/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

kimberlydrn
01-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Hello everyone! I'm having a great day! I went to the gym and did 30 minutes on the elliptical, 20 minutes on the bike, then 20 minutes on the stairstepper. So far, I've had to eat 1/2 grapefruit and Kashi heart to heart oatmeal and an all bran granola bar. I'm making chili for supper.

Maria and Karen: Hi. Hope you are having a good day.

Sherri: My weight has plateaued also for some reason. It gets frustrating. I've been 153 for about 10 days, and I've been staying within my points and exercising 6 days/week. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not eating enough calories. It's hard to make myself eat more though. I agree that the WATP video is good. I have the 3 mile walk.

Kelly: That must have been nice to have dinner waiting on you when you got home. I love Special K also, especially with almonds. Have you tried Kashi heart to heart cereal? I love it. Love the oatmeal too.

Loren,
I'm also doing weight watchers on my own. I don't go to meetings. You're probably doing the old winning points, with the ranges. Now they have the flex points. Yours would be that you're allowed 20 points per day, and then you would have 35 extra points per week that you can use if you want, or not. A good place for you to get recipes is the Dottis Weight Loss Zone website. My favorite recipe is taco soup. Here it is. By the way, 2 points per cup.
1/2 pound lean hamburger meat
1 small can of corn
1/2 cup rice
1 can rotel
1 can ranch style beans (black can)
1 can kidney beans
1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
1 pkg. taco seasoning
3 cups water
Mix together and cook until rice is done.

krazykellyontario
01-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Afternoon ladies!
How is everybody so far? Me...well, it could be warmer out that's for sure. But it's not snowing. Anyone else in a cold climate where because it's so cold and your skin gets dry that right on the tip of your finger, right near the nail, you get cracks in your skin? And they will bleed and they hurt like heck? Just wondering what you all do to help them heal. I've been putting polysporin on them at night time but it's not healing up as fast as I'd like it to.
I visited the grocery store this afternoon. Picked up some fixings for more spinach salads, got a good deal on fat free yogurt...the 12 pack. Forgot to pick up more ceral. Wanted to get Spoon size shredded wheat. In one of my Kraft books I got they had a warm cereal recipe in it using that kind of cereal. Maybe I'll stop at the 24 hour grocery store and get me some...feel like having something hot for breakfast on these chilly mornings.

Loren--Good idea to plan your meals out for the week. Dh and I were supposed to do that this past weekend but we never got around to do it. Hopefully we'll do it this weekend. I have tonnes of recipes. Just tell me what you are looking for and I can either post them here or I can email them to you.

Kim--Good job at the gym today Kim! No I haven't tried that Kashi cereal....I did try one kind of it and thought it was way to crunchy for me. Hurt my teeth to eat it..lmao

I'm just about done laundry, last load is in the washer. Hubby is do home any time now and I'd better get off of here and figure out what's for dinner.
Have a great night all and I'll chat with you all in the morning.

Abstract927
01-26-2005, 02:16 AM
I ate popcorn for dinner (gulp) -- there I said it. Frustrated at the immobile scale. It's been a horrible 4 days in my studio. And none of this is a good enough excuse. But unlike my usual reaction which is to allow one slip up to turn into a week long binge on anything I want, I recognize this for what it is. One decision. And at the very next opportunity I can choose differently.

KELLY I do have the Tae Bo exercise videos and some yoga ones too. Worse yet though, I have a gym setup at home with a treadmill, gazelle, bowflex, pilates reformer and some other miscellaneous pieces. We've been doing a whole house reno ourselves and it has all been in storage until a few weeks ago. Shamefully - I'm sitting here with all the stuff but haven't made it a priority -- other things just come first. I have not been consistent -- I can't expect results if I go on the treadmill on Monday then not again til Thursday can I?

My Bichon is too big to be packing around! He's 18 pounds. Now you'll understand why the walk was a short one. I think he's got a little OCD going on LOL. He counts people and is very upset if someone goes out of the room -- everyone needs to be in one place. And he can't stand dirty feet. He walks around mud puddles and doesn't like to get wet....so when he starts to feel damp in his feet, he refuses to move any further. We got him when he was a year old (4 years ago) and apparently he was like this as a puppy too. But he didn't weight 18 pounds then!

Thanks for the WATP tip -- I'll check that out.

Thanks to you all for the motivation -- reading about your progress and your planning and your triumps and your stumbles is very helpful -- I am not alone and that feels good!

Sherrie

krazykellyontario
01-26-2005, 11:19 AM
How is everyone doing today? Good I hope.
Yesterday went fairly well for me. I ate very well which I'm very proud of and I did all my housework and got my exercise in...but......I got into the wine last night after work. I woke up this morning groggy and have a slight headache which is my own fault. I got my daughters lunch ready and then I went back to bed. Didn't get up to do my exercises this morning either. But, at 9, while I'm laying in bed I hear a noise out side....oh sh*it....I forgot to take the garbage and blue box out this morning. So I jumped out of bed and raced to get dressed and downstairs and outside before the trucks came. Phew...I made it, and I didn't see one truck in sight so I have no idea what the noise I heard was! LOL And I figured since I'm out there already I might as well shovel the snow that we got during the night! So I guess I kinda got some exercise in this morning. I've had my cereal and blueberries and milk for breakfast, still have to make my bed yet..lol
What is everyone having for dinner? Last week Food Basics had pork loin roasts on for sale, something like .99/lb and they came in like 10lb roasts. So I bought 2. One I halved into 2 roasts and the other I sliced in to chops so I have to find something to make tonight using chops! Any ideas?

Sherrie--I WISH I had all your exercise equipment! Get your butt on that treadmill woman and walk!!!! LOL You're doggie sounds like a big suck! We have a 1yr old black lab named Chevy. She's probably close to 60 lbs now. She's a big suck too. The dirtier she gets the more she loves it!
And about the popcorn for dinner.....at least it's not fattening!lol

Well I'm off to search for a recipe using chops. I'll stop back in here later on and see how you are all doing.

Vanessa_40
01-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi Everyone..and thank you Kelly for the invite to the group..

Ok a bit about me..i'm 39..and over the last 3 years i've gone from 220 to 136-140 depending on the day. I really want to weigh 120 but my eating habits are bad. I love junk food..mostly sweets. So thats the main thing i have to work on. I love to work out. I usually do about 1-2 hours a day. Not all at the same time. About an hour in the morning and one at night. I run,step bench.pilates and lift weights. I just need a group to be accountable to about my food and after reading over your post you sound like a very understanding helpful group.
Today i've had cereal..150 calories
Milk....100 calories
Slimfast bar..110
Water..32ozs..
Workout....stepbench w/weight 60 mins.
Thanks Again,
Vanessa

krazykellyontario
01-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks for posting Vanessa. I think we've already met. I started this type of thread on another site called diet support but this one seems to be getting more responses. So I think I'm going to stick to this site.
I'm not really counting calories.....just watching what I eat and portion sizes.
So far I've had cereal, milk and blueberries. For lunch I'll have a spinch salad with tuna and I found a recipe for my chops I'm going to be having for dinner. I went to this site www.allrecipes.com and they have thousands of recipes.
Anyways it's called Hashbrown and Porkchop Casserole
5 pork chops
1 pkg hash browns(2lbs)
3/4 cup of fat free sour cream
1 can of 1/2 the fat cream of celery soup
1 onion
1/3 cup low fat milk
3/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese grated

1) Pre heat oven to 375

2)In a large skillet over medium heat brown chops on both sides and set aside.

3)In a large bowl combine sour cream, soup and milk. Add the hash browns and chopped onions; stir to coat. Place mixture in a 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Place chops on top.

4)Bake for 50 min or until chops are done.

Sounds good, easy and healthy. I'll have some steamed veggies to go along with it. I'll let you all know how it turns out and if the family likes it.

Well I'm off to the store. I'll check back in later.

Vanessa_40
01-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Kelly,
Yes,it was at diettalk..right..i like this site better also..the pork chop thing sounds great.i might have to try it.
Lunch..salad with fish..all together about 200 calories..
I think i'll grill some chicken for dinner with a potatoe and a salad..

Vanessa

kimberlydrn
01-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Welcome Vanessa! Wow, the progress you've made is so inspiring? How long has it taken you? How did you do it? Give us the tips girl.

Kelly, That pork chop recipe sounds delicious. It made me want to get something to eat.

Sherry, That is hilarious about your dog having OCD. I love that.

Well, I'm so excited to tell you all that I've finally broken through my plateau. I'd weighed 153-154 for 9 days, and this morning I weighed 151. I'll give one of Maria's WOOHOO's! Today I did the stairclimber for 25 minutes, then 50 minutes of leg exercises, jumping rope, and abs. It was a great workout. I feel so good. I know we shouldn't let the scale dictate our mood, but it's awesome when it moves in the right direction.

Vanessa_40
01-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Kim,
Congradulations....i know how good it feels to finally see those numbers change..i have not weighed myself in about a week..i went on a candy hearts binge..you know the ones you get a Valentines with the words on them..anyway..today was my first day back..so tomorrow i'll weigh..i'm sure i'm back to 140..but today i have been good..it has taken me 3 years on and off to lose the weight..i've been around 130-140 for about a year now..i'm only 5'2 so i need to lose another 15-20. The main thing i did to lose the weight was no soda..man i was putting away about 4-5 regular Mt. Dews a day..geez..now i drink water and tea. Well have to go pick up my daughter..you all have a great day..i'll be back tomorrow with my weigh in..

Hugs,
Vanessa

chocolatecatz
01-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi everyone!!!

Great job Vanessa!!! WOOHOO FOR YOU!!

I'm feeling a bit sickie today and all I'm craving for is sweets!!!!!!!!!! I have a cheesecake in the fridge calling my name!! Its 2pm and so far I have resisted.

I had 2 slices low carb bread with turkey for breakfast

Turkey and spinach for lunch

Exercise so far: 20 minutes strength training
20 minutes interval training.

I usually do another 20 minutes of aerobics in the afternoon. Let's see if I can do it.

Going out with my friend for our weekly scrabble game at starbucks. I'll probably have a regular coffee with a shot of vanilla. Or maybe a light frappuccino made with splenda.

Dinenr? I don't know maybe the starbucks will be my dinner. not that hungry right now.hahahahaah WOOHOO :lol:

kannwilson
01-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Good afternoon all! Hope everyone is having a great day! I haven't exercised at all this week and it's already Wednesday! I've been sick since last Thursday though and it's hard to exercise and have coughing fits at the same time. I've done ok on my eating though. I did have chinese take out last night but other than that I've done great.

Welcome to the group Vanessa. I just joined the group this week and haven't been able to post much but everyone here is fantastic. I wish I loved to exercise as much as you!

Kelly that pork chop recipe sounds yummy! Pork Chops are on sale here, I'll have to get some and try it.

Well it's back to the grind stone. I have papers to grade PLUS material to read for my class I'm taking. Will it ever end?? :)

Loren DeLynn
01-26-2005, 09:55 PM
I had the best experience in my kitchen last night! :o I just can't wait to do it again!!! My dinner last night ROCKED!!!!!! :encore: We started out with a Shrimp Cocktail over a bed of lettuce...Our entree' was Balsamic Glazed Chicken with a side of Basil Roasted Vegetables!!! I got these recipes from 3FC low fat section (except for the Shrimp Cocktail). I kid you not...my mouth thought it was eating at a fine resturant...It was that good!!! :hun: My family went completly ga-ga over this meal! When my DH & I started on WW almost 2 weeks ago, my kids said they would never eat that diet crap...when we got up this morning...all that food was gone! Besides the taste and ease of preparing & cooking this meal, was the fact that all of that only totaled 6 WW points!!! :dancer:

Kelly...My DH suffers from the same problems with his fingers splitting...he is using neosporin on his. My former boss used to put loosely wrapped band-aids around his fingers because everytime he would bump them, they would open up again. Other than that, I don't know what else you can do. :?:
That pork chop recipe sounds good! I have one (not yet tried) from 3FC...I sure hope it's as good as the others I've tried from here.

Kim...Thanks for the Taco Soup recipe...that's just the way I like it...hot, fast, & cheap! Will be perfect for those nights when my son has a ball game or I just don't feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
Congradulations on getting over that plateau! You Go Girl!!! :goodscale

Vanessa...Welcome :grouphug: I too am inspired by your weight loss success! We are just about at the same point right now. I am also 5'2" and have about 20 pounds to go. You have a much better handle on the exercise part though. I will be looking to you for advice...that's for sure! ;)

Sherrie...Did you eat the whole bag? :corn: lol ! I love the smell of popcorn...but I tire of it quickly.
WOMAN!!! YOU NEED TO GET THAT EQUIPMENT SET UP!!! :rollpin: Man...I can only wish I had space for all of that...then I wouldn't have to pay someone else to let me use theirs. And no...you are not alone...we are all here for the same purpose...to be fit by 40! :strong:

Well...today was okay...I did really good with my meals but didn't make it to the fitness center :^: Tomorrow is another day & I will do better! :smug:

Chat at you ladies later,
Loren

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/purpvinebar/sliderbug/lb/150/125/141/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

chocolatecatz
01-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Morning all!!

Feeling a bit discouraged. The scale has been inching up and not down!! Don't know what's happening. :(

Could be because I'm approaching that time of month..CURSES.....but I want it to go down.
:?:
So, I think I'll eliminate my half bagel with cheese snack in the afternoon and replace it with one slice of low carb bread w/ cheese and eliminate my low carb bread sandwich. Maybe that will show the scale go down again.
:^:

Vanessa_40
01-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I hope you are all having a great day..today is day two of my no junk food promise to myself..we will see how it goes..
Well i stepped on the scale for the first time in about a week and a half..i was thinking oh lord 140-143..i was thrilled that i was only at 138..so i only gained 2 pounds..
Today for my workout i did my step bench for 50 mins. and lower body weights for 25..i've also drank 52ozs of water..

Make it a good one..

Vanessa

krazykellyontario
01-27-2005, 06:25 PM
OH MY GOD! I just have to say..what an inspiration you all have been! I'm sorry I haven't been able to post alot this past day...but as you all know between family and work....you know what I mean.
I am SO PROUD OF YOU ALL!!!!! I'm off to work again..but I promise I will post to each and one of you tomorrow!
You girls rock!
I Luv u all!

kannwilson
01-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Hello all! What a week! I keep thinking it's Friday today only to be terribly disappointed to discover it's only Thursday. I did very well on my eating today now if I can just remember to get it all my water.

I hope you see a loss this weekend chocolatecatz. I always weight 2-5 pounds heavier during what I refer to as my "chocolate" time of the month. Talk about cravings!

Vanessa - Good luck on day 2 of your junk food free pledge.

I'm off to school this weekend. I'm working on my Masters in Library Science and take classes through a university 3 hours from where I live. I only have to go two weekends a semester (per class), the rest in online. It's always hard for me to eat healthy when I'm away. I'm staying at a hotel that has a microwave and a fridge but it's so much easier (and more fun) to eat out.

Oh I have to tell you all about my high school students today. My Spanish 2 students are working with food and we were discussing the food pyramid and serving sizes. I asked the students what a serving of rice would be. They thought it was 2 cups! We also discussed what they had eaten so far today. Pop Tarts, Honey buns, candy bars, pop, chips, Coco Puffs. I don't think anyone mentioned a single piece of fruit or a veggie.

Well it's off to fix supper. I hear my husband in the kitchen, maybe he's already got it started for me!

Talk to ya later!

Loren DeLynn
01-27-2005, 10:13 PM
I hope everyone had a great day today. My day went pretty much the same as any other day. Except.......
I ate a huge hamburger that was soooooo not part of WW! My attempt to make up for the slippage, was to walk on the treadmill 2.5 miles instead of 2 miles. I did that...but I wanted to go one step further (pardon the expression) & do that distance in the same amount of time it usually takes me to go only 2 miles...I DID THAT TOO....WOOOHOOO!
Although I don't feel AS guilty about todays burger binge, I know I must stay focused on my goal...Let's say it together....TO BE FIT BY FORTY!

Have a Blessed Evening Ladies,
Loren

Abstract927
01-28-2005, 03:25 AM
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the kick in the pants (in a nice way :)

I think I'm back on track. I've done some pondering over the past couple of days to try to figure out why I've been avoiding exercise. I've had a few aha moments and am ready to push forward.

The scale is inching the wrong way for me too chocolatecatz -- for the same reason I hope. Even when you expect it, it is still frustrating.

Vanessa you are an inspiration - you're proof that lasting weight loss is possible.

Loren - yes, I did eat the whole bowl of popcorn....LOL Way to go on the treadmill! BTW - that dinner you mentioned sounds yummy!

Kim, congratulations on breaking through that plateau...that must feel great. Yay to you for pushing through.

kannwilson - I hear you. It absolutely felt like a Friday...hang in there. Your student's comments are certainly interesting aren't they?

Hey Kelly- I think saying my dog is a big suck might even be an understatement LOL But I love him so :)

Happy Friday everyone have a great weekend!

Sherrie

Vanessa_40
01-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi Ladies..
Glad to see everyone is doing well...i had a good day yesterday..didn't eat any junk food..although it was hard to pass up that candy isle at the store this morning but i did it..instead i went and got some of the vanilla carmel and french vanilla tea that i love..
Today i did my circuit step bench tape for an hour and some ab work..
Hope you all have a nice weekend..i'll be back on Monday

Hugs,
Vanessa

Loren DeLynn
01-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Good Morning!

I have questions about exercise...those of you who do pilates...tell me more about it. I hear a lot of people are doing it, & I don't even know if it is cardio or like yoga, or anything. Also, Kim...I have an opportunity to meet a personal trainer (for free!!) too. Tell me more about circuit training.

I've had a job my entire adult life that kept me on my fanny for most of the day. So I thought it would be best to start off just getting used to moving around again...& this is the reason I've done only treadmill for the past month.
Well now the more I walk, the better I feel. But I want to see more weight loss & toning. I want to feel about exercise the way some of you feel...I WANT TO LOVE IT!!!

You ladies have a great day...mine will be a long one. Tonight the High School band is marching in a Mardi Gras Parade...they need a ride...that's where I come in. Probably won't be home till well after midnight!

Chat at ya'll later,
Loren

mama2a&c
01-28-2005, 04:23 PM
:wave:
Hello! This is my first post so I hope it goes okay. I just found this site two days ago looking for some recipes. I'm happy to have found you! :) Just a quick intro: I'm 35, married, 2 kids (ds-11, dd-2), SAHM, 2 dogs, snake, and a big belly! :o I started really working on my "diet" and exercise just about three weeks ago. We got a treadmill so that really prompted me to get off my tushy and start doing something. Its a whole no excuses thing if its set up in the living room. So I walk every day and switch up pilates, Ab-Lounger, and TaeBo each day too. Some days I just walk.

Some of the other things I have been trying are cutting out my coffee and switching to green tea. I also eat my protein before my carbs. I don't do WW but am just trying bits and pieces of all diets until I find something that works for me.

Anyhoo, its great to meet all of you and I'm sure together we will be fit by 40! :cp:

Lisa

Abstract927
01-28-2005, 08:09 PM
LISA - Wecome, I think you'll find everyone here very supportive.

Loren - here's my 2 cents. Before fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism changed my world in the 1990's I was seriously fit - I was a runner, did pilates (when most people didn't know what that was) and strength trained regularly. I haven't really done much of the mat based pilates - I use a reformer but the principle is the same - Every movement in Pilates comes from the core....i.e. everything you do also engages your abdominals. It gives you a long, lean physique. It improves balance, flexibility, posture and tone. Over time you will notice that you work your muscles on a much deeper level. You can certainly work up a sweat but I wouldn't call it cardio. As wonderful as I think it is, I would also encourage you to explore strength training. The more muscle you carry the more calories you burn at rest. It is all good stuff. Cardio for your heart. Strength training to preserve and build muscle. And pilates or yoga for flexibility and host of other benefits. Try them and find what works for you....and if you have a free session with a personal trainer -- snap it up and enjoy!

I'm having a great day! I hope you all are as well.

Sherrie

chocolatecatz
01-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Regarding the rice serving I have to tell you my husband will eat about 2-3 cups of rice at a sitting. That is the Latino way!!!! Riceoholics!!!!

I'll still make white rice but will serve myself maybe 1/2 cup of it if that. Brown rice doesn't go over to well here, but he will still have about 2 cups of that as well..the kids less.
;)

kimberlydrn
01-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Good morning ladies. I'm so tired. I worked all night last night, then went to Wal Mart and I'm finally home to enjoy a day off. Yeah! Well, I have some bad news. You know how I said I broke through my plateau. Well, when I weighed last night I had gained 1.5 pounds of it back. I don't understand the scale sometimes. I should be losing more weight with the workouts I'm doing, and I'm eating between 1130-1600 calories per day. Even my trainer said that I could pretty much eat what I wanted and still lose weight. Well, it's not happening. She gave me TaeBo advanced to do over the weekend. I've never tried the advanced before. I bet it's hard. O.K. enough whining.
Welcome Lisa!!!!
Loren, That's great you are going to get to work with a personal trainer for free!!! Mine is so sweet and motivating. As for the circuit training, it's a lot of fun. There are different stations set up with different weights and different ab exercises, push ups, squats, and lunges. We spend 45 seconds at each station and have 15 seconds to switch. It counts as cardio. It's a great workout!
Well, I'm going to try to get some sleep. Have a great day!

mama2a&c
01-29-2005, 01:08 PM
Good morning! I thought I would share the recipe I found this morning in the Feb. Edition of Prevention magizine. I'm going to make it for dinner tonight. Sounds yummy!

Chicken & Veggie Chimichangas

Prep time 8 minutes
Cook time 10 minutes

2 whole wheat flour tortillas (10" diameter)
2 Tbsp. reduced fat cream cheese
6 oz. pregrilled chicken breast strips or 6oz. extra firm tofu, drained & crumbled
1/2 c. shredded raw veggies, such as carrots, red bell peppers, zucchini
1/2 c. reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/4 c. salsa

Pre-heat over to 350
Spread tortillas with cream cheese. Fill cenetrs with Chicken & veggies. Roll & place seam side down on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes or until tortillas are golden & crisp.
Remove from oven and top with cheese and salsa.

Makes 2 servings.
Per serving: 294 cal, 30g pro, 25g carbs, 9g fat, 6g sat fat, 72mg chol,2g fiber,584mg sodium.

Enjoy!

I'm off to a slow start this morning. Maybe because it is the weekend. I dunno. I've had my eggs, turkey bacon & 1/2 grapefruit this morning but have yet to do anything else. I'm hoping my dd will nap soon and I can start the treadmill up. Maybe a little Pilates too. I have only been doing it for about a month and its still just as hard for me as it was day one. I have had several abdominal surgeries and my muscles have been chopped to pieces it seems. I just keep telling myself...."one day you will be able to get off the floor without breaking a sweat!". :p

On a side note....how often are you all weighing yourself? I am only doing it once a week on Mondays. Its hard to resist because I wanna know exactly what I'm doing but if I do it more than once a week I get discouraged sometimes.

MandyJane
01-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Hello there Ladies - mind if I join you?

I will be 39 in April so the big 40 is looming quite near for me.

I have been on a "diet" for two years and only really managed to lose about 20lbs. {sigh} I keep doing the low carb thing, falling off the wagon and regaining. This time around I'm trying to eat healthily and count calories in the hope that I can stick with it and still lose weight.

I'm weighing in every day and then using the CAD way - weigh in every day for 7 days and then add the totals up and divide by 7 to give you the average weight for the week. This allows me the obsession of weighing in every day without the worry about the daily fluctuations.

So far this year I have lost 4lbs. It's slower going than very low carb but I'm hoping it will be more sustainable!

mama2a&c
01-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Hi MandyJane! I'm a newbie too but I'll go ahead and say hi and welcome! :wave: I haven't heard of the CAD method but it sounds interesting. It would certainly make it easier for me. It also sounds like we might be eatting the same way....just making better choices.

Loren DeLynn
01-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Hello Ladies

Thank you Sherrie for your 2 cents! Everything you said about exercise made since to me. I really like the sound of the pilates...one of the main things I hope to improve on is my posture. I get the idea on strength training too...Man, I better start writing all this stuff down...I meet with the trainer Monday morning at 10. Do you have a preffrence as to which type of pilates I should start with? You said you use the reformer & not the mat...but what is the name of the tape/dvd I should look for? Thanks again Sherrie!

Kim...Thanks to you too for the info on circuit training! I saw at the fitness center the circuit training routines & they look hard! I'm not scared of hard work, as that is the only way I'll be able to be "Fit by Forty", & I get that...I just don't want to hurt real bad either. And I hope it is as fun as you say...there's nothing worse than going to work out & the part you dread most is knowing you will be bored as ****. I believe that is why a lot of us give up...but I will try everthing I can, to not let that happen.

Hea there Lisa... :grouphug:
Welcome!!! I believe you will find everone here willing to help you anyway we can. I too came to this site looking for recipes...the ones I have tried from 3FC have been awesome! You gotta try the Balsamic Glazed Chicken with a side of Basil Roasted Vegetables! Both are found in the low-fat section of 3FC's food. If you come across some new ideas, let me know...I'm always on the look-out for something different to serve my family.

I hope everyone has a great day & I'll check back in later.
Loren

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/purpvinebar/sliderbug/lb/150/125/140/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

kimberlydrn
01-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Welcome MandyJane! Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far. Well, I'm off to do TaeBo.

chocolatecatz
01-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Welcome MandyJane!!!!!! :dizzy:

I'll be 40 this year..ACKK!!!!!!!!!

Abstract927
01-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Welcome Mandy Jane

Hi Loren -- Sorry I can't give you the name of a specific tape or instructor to look for. I haven't really seen or used any of the contemporary ones out there. I will suggest though that you look for one that is geared for beginners -- technique and form are paramount. No point in working your butt off if you're form is off... That being said, depending on your temperment the beginning tapes might feel a little slow as a substantial amount of time is (and should be) spent talking about the mechanics of a movement - breathing, alignment and the like. If you can get through that the intermediate and advanced ones will likely be full-on and more engaging. Stott Pilates is world renowned for their training - they have loads of tapes and manuals -- but they can be a little information overload - which is great for some people and like pulling teeth for others. I have heard from people at work who are enjoying Windsor Pilates -- this is, however, their first experience with pilates and have nothing to compare it to. I've never seen it so can't really say one way or another. Maybe do a little research online and see what other beginners have to say about the tapes they've tried. Try "epinions" and maybe poke around other threads on this site -- there's bound to be others out there trying various programs. Good luck and sorry I couldn't be more help. It absolutely will change the shape of your body and how you feel in it. I was heading to do a bowflex workout but now I'm inspired to do some pilates instead - I love how it feels :)

Sherrie

Loren DeLynn
01-30-2005, 07:53 PM
:wave: Welcome MandyJane!

Sherrie...Thanks so much for the info...Will start searching the various pilates available. The info you gave me was very informative.

Well...I've spent the day planning my menu for the week...made sure I have everything in my fridge/freezer, & pantry that will be needed so running to the store everyday will not hinder my plans. I find this to be the only way I can stick to better eating habits. Last week, I didn't take these steps & I found myself back in the old routine of eating out & just making bad decisions on what I was putting in my mouth! Dispite the back-slide path I was on, I still managed to lose 1 pound...don't ask me how...but I DO know, that will not be the case for long.

So Ladies...Hope you all had a wonderful weekend...Hope this week blesses us all!

Loren

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/purpvinebar/sliderbug/lb/150/125/140/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

mama2a&c
01-31-2005, 09:59 AM
Good Monday Morning Ladies! :coffee:

It is my day to weigh and I'm already a little disappointed. I stepped on the scale only to find out I weigh the same as I did the last time I weighed. I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday of last week that I weighed so I thought I might loose even a pound! Ugh! I have been working out/walking every day, eating the right stuff. I just need to keep in the right mind set that I still feel better than I have in a long long time.

I wasn't able to make the chimichanga recipe because my family put a stop to it and wanted soft tacos instead. I did make the tacos with ground turket meat and it turned out just as yummy. I'll try and get the chimi's made this week since hubby will be out of town.

Loren, I have the Winsor Pilates dvds and I like them. It has 3 dvds in one package. The 1st dvd is a step by step instruction. Just the basics. The 2nd dvd is a 20 minute workout. The 3rd is an advanced body sculpting one. I just do the 20 minute workout. I'm nowhere ready for an advanced session! :p The cost of teh three dvds was around $39. at Target. I have seen them cheaper at Costco though.

Well, I'm off to start my day. Have a wonderful day! I'll be checking back in throughout the day since I'll be needing a little extra encouragement! I'm hoping you all can keep me accountable!

Loren DeLynn
01-31-2005, 11:34 AM
Hello Ladies, :coffee: :wave:

Well I'm off to meet with my personal trainer for the first time...hope I don't hurt myself!!! :rofl:

Hang in there Lisa...I weighed the same weight for over a week before I lost that 1 pound last week...It may just be a plateau, or your matabolisim might just need a re-boot. Also, thanks for the info re: pilates...I was heading in the direction of those exact dvd's, so now that I know someone enjoys them, I'll probably pick them up later this week.

I hope everyone has a great day...hope to check in again later.
Loren

kimberlydrn
01-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Good Morning. I just got home from working out. I totally blew my diet last night. We had cake and chips and dip at work last night, and I went totally crazy. I used all of my flex points. When I saw my trainer this morning, I told her I had about 1,000 extra calories to work off, and I believe we did. The stairclimber showed that I burned 550 calories,then I did walk/run on the treadmill (probably about 200 calories), then some circuit training (probably another 250 calories). Is that awesome or what? I'm going to lose weight this week. I just know it. I'm so motivated! She told me to cut my calories back to 1200/day, and we're increasing my workouts a little. I'm in a little friendly competition at work and have been for 3 months. We're all putting in $2/week and at the end whoever loses the most gets the money. It's $150. Friday is the last weigh-in. Me and this other girl are pretty much tied. Wish me luck. I only get a salad when I wake up since I ate all of that junk last night. It sure was good though. Hope you all have a great day!

Abstract927
01-31-2005, 02:54 PM
That is awesome Kim! Great recovery!

I did a pilates workout last night and am off for a date with the bowflex this afternoon. Weight is still creeping in the wrong direction -- it must be TOM! Frustrating!

Have a great day everyone!

Sherrie

rtardif
01-31-2005, 04:54 PM
Hi. I'm new here. I'm 37 and am attempting to lose 50 lbs. I was doing really well with working out and eating a somewhat decent diet. But then I went back to school while working full time, and so the exercise sort of went out the window temporarily. And then my husband and I recently moved to a different state. With the lack of regular exercise and stress eating, I've gained quite a bit of weight. So, now I'm back at it. Trying anyway. I'm seriously addicted to pastries and cookies. I can turn down just about anything else, including chocolate. But throw a donut under my nose, and it's history. And so are its friends.

Anyway, I'm here to offer and receive any moral support I can get, especially when the cravings hit. I know how to lose weight. But the cravings get really harsh sometimes.

Other info: I love the outdoors, wood working, home improvement shows, and gardening. I have two cats and one dog. We just adopted the dog. He's a very large German shepherd. And I try to take him for walks every evening and on the weekends. :cookie: :cookie:

kimberlydrn
01-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Well, welcome ******if. I have the same addiction, except chocolate is part of mine. I have to keep anything sweet out of my house, or I will binge on it. I love Krispy Kreme donuts. I've found that the only sweet things I can keep around are all bran granola bars, fat free yogurt, oranges, blue bunny fudgelite chocolate popsicles, and sugar free jello. I agree that school can be stressful. I gained quite a bit of weight in nursing school.
Loren, How did it go with the personal trainer?

Loren DeLynn
01-31-2005, 09:35 PM
Well, I went to see the personal trainer today & it was very informative! ;) Thanks to all who helped me go in there & actually appear to know what I was talking about! And thanks Kim for asking how it went today.

So this is what I learned...Circuit training is considered Strength Training...I am to go on these various machines & do at least 12, but no more than 15 reps...the machines are set up in a way that you don't do all leg exercise or upper body exercises back-to-back...When this gets to the point that I feel I can do 5 more reps easily, then it's time to increase the weight...
This type of training really boosts the metabolisim (among other things)!

We also discussed Pilates...Although he has never taken a class, he absolutley believes in the concept! He asked about my eating habits & I told him that my DH & I recenlly started WW..."Excellent program...keep it up", was his reply. And finally we talked about commitment...When I asked him how I should fit treadmill for cardio, strength training, & pilates into a regular exercise routine, he asked how much time I wanted to put into exercise. I told him I thought about an hour & a half every other day for strength training & treadmill; and twice a week for pilates would be about all I could do for now...He said that would be good - only if I could commit to it...He suggested I do the strength training every other day & alternate the treadmill & pilates every other day. Continue until I feel like I need more of a challenge So...there you have it...That will be my new exercise routine for now...I sure can't wait till I'm addicted to exercise & Lovin' It!!! :p

Well, You ladies have a great evening...I'll chat at ya later!
Loren

Abstract927
02-01-2005, 03:43 AM
Hi Loren,

You sound pumped! I can't wait hear that your addicted and loving it :)

Sherrie

krazykelly72
02-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Good morning ladies!
No, I didn't fall off the face of the earth. Between working, family, and then I was having computer problems and couldn't post all weekend....anyways..I'm back. I did lose a lb....according to the scales yesterday but I have no idea how or why because I totally blew my diet this weekend. But I'm back on track today. I've figured out that I need some sort of diet to follow because I can't just try to "count calories" or "watch what I eat" on my own. I need to more accountable so I've decided to do weight watchers at home. I have all the material so I might aswell use it. I do know the program works because I've done it before, and before and before....lol you get the drift. I just need to go out and buy myself a new notebook to journal all my food and points.

I want to welcome on the new comers to our group! I'm excited to learn more about each and every one of you and to help you on your weightloss journey.

I'm thinking about calling the gym and asking how much a membership is just for the fitness classes and not the equipment. I hate exercising at home by myself. It's boring and very unmotivating. I'm aiming for a walk today.

Nothing exciting planned here for the day. I have to hit the grocery store of lunch snacks for dd and I need to make cupcakes. One of the regulars that comes in for lunch a the restaurant is having his bday today. I don't do this for all my regulars but this one is "special" so I thought I'd make him some cupcakes for dessert. I have to work at 6 tonight till 10ish. So that means I have to find something to make for dinner tonight.Hmmmmmm...dilemas dilemas..lol

Well I'm off..the washing machine stopped, time for another load.
I'll pop back in here later and see how you are all doing.

krazykellyontario
02-01-2005, 09:03 AM
LOL No wonder I was having problems getting in here. I was trying to use my old user name here when logging in.
This is the real Kelly.....lmao

kimberlydrn
02-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Good morning! I've done pretty well so far today. I ate Kashi Heart to Heart cereal with skim milk for breakfast and fat free yogurt for a snack. I'm going to have a salad with turkey breast for lunch, and I'm trying a new potato soup recipe for dinner. It's 2 points per cup, and it's made with ore ida hashbrowns. It sounds good. I did 80 minutes of cardio this morning... 30 minutes on the stairclimber, 30 minutes on the elliptical, then 20 minutes on the bike. I feel great today! The scale still says 152, but that's O.K. I know I'll get there eventually. Have a great day!

Abstract927
02-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Happy February 1st! It's a whole new month...I hope you are all off to a great start.

I had a banana protein shake for breakfast. Did a mile on the treadmil with 3 pound hand weights to do some upper body work... Followed that up with some ab work on the Ab Lounge and a strength training workout on the bowflex. Whew! I was in danger of giving in to some not so great leftovers for lunch but opted instead for a blueberry protein smoothie. I really need to get to the store to restock my refrigerator and pantry!

Missed you Kelly - glad to see you're back! Congrats on the additional loss. Think about a pound of butter sitting on your counter. That is what is no longer hitching a ride on you! Way to go :)

Kim - that potatoe soup recipe sounds interesting...care to share? GREAT cardio day!

Have a great day! Sherrie

kimberlydrn
02-02-2005, 03:47 PM
I had a great workout again today. My new goal is to be able to run 5 miles. My trainer had me do some interval jogging/walking on the treadmill and I loved it. The longest I could jog was 5 minutes straight, but I'm going to work my way up. I did that for 40 minutes, 10 minutes on the bike, and 35 minutes on the elliptical. We also did some major stretching exercises. The she went with me to a sports store and helped me pick out some new running shoes. They are Nike Pegasus and I got them on sale for $49.99. I was so excited! She has been awesome to me. Friday's my last day with her, then I'll have a new intern Monday.
Sherry-Great job passing up the leftovers. The potato soup was delicious. Here's the recipe...
1 bag ore ida O'brien Hashbrowns (16 oz. frozen)
4 cans fat free chicken broth
1 pkg. McCormick Country gravy mix
Spray pan with pam. Saute potatoes 10 minutes stirring gently. Add broth and bring to boil. Prepare gravy mix according to package directions. Add to potatoes and broth. Simmer 20-30 minutes. 1 cup= 2 points

mama2a&c
02-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Hello! Had to take a day off for the grump fest around my house! With hubby being out of town I haven't been too motivated to do anything. I did drag myself on the treadmill on Monday and that was it. Tuesday I didn't do anything! I also had a Reece's peanut butter cup. Those things are evil! :devil: I was grumpy and unmotivated. Today I promised myself to do better. I knew if I could get on that treadmill I would be ok. And so.....i did! I also did the AbLounger after that. Yeah! I feel better already.

Sherrie, what kind of protein shakes are you drinking? Made or purchased? Sounds pretty and I can always use some more protein!

Loren, sounds like you had a great time with the trainer. Glad you learned a lot. When is your next session?

Kimberly, a 5 mile run is amazing! How far can you go now? Right now I would be happy to run 1 mile! I'm soooo out of shape. I just need to keep in mind that I am just starting this exercising stuff and it takes time.

Kelly, you are stronger than I am. No way could I make cupcakes right now. The temptation would be more than I can handle. Heck, I can't even walk through the bakery at the grocery store. I hold my nose because the smell is awesome! :D

Keep up the good work Ladies! Together, we can do this! :)

flab2fab
02-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Hi All,
Thought I might join your group!! I am new here to the site. I will be 38 in March and I am the heaviest I have ever been. I joined back to WW again (I think I win the award for re-joining the most times). The leader told us about this site and I am so fortunate. It is awesome to find a place where I can get support!!! Boy, do I need it. I had a great week at WW - I lost 4.8 pounds!!!!! YEA!! Of course, I didn't want to let the leader know that I crammed so much food into my body before I went in there, that I knew I had to lose something this week. That seems to be my pattern EAT AS MUCH TODAY BECAUSE I AM GOING TO START MY DIET TOMORROW. Well, I finally started. Hopefully, I can keep up the enthusiasm this time. I mean - I AM GOING TO KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Abstract927
02-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Hello Everyone!

mma2a&c - Oh those peanut butter cups are hard for me to resist too :dizzy: I use a protein shake powder that contains both soy and whey protein. The one I'm currently using is from Nu-Life Nutrition called Carb Cheater -- I like the Vanilla flavoured one. One scoop is low-cal at 60cals, low carb at 1g and a decent protein punch at 12g. If you mix it with water it is a mere 60 calorie snack. I use it as a replacement for breakfast since I am a terrible morning eater. I usually mix 1c skim milk with 1 banana in the blender for a few seconds. Add a scoop of protein powder and blend for a few more seconds and serve. Frozen berries are also fantastic -- just substitute 1c of frozen berries for the banana (or 1/2 of each) The banana smoothie is about 250 calories (a few less for the berry one - 220) Good for you for getting that workout in - even if it involves dragging! LOL

Kim - thanks for the potato soup recipe - I'll be trying that one! I have a date with the treadmill today and reading your post is inspiring. Awesome job!

Kelly - I don't know how you do it! My husband loves his treats but H... E ... double hockey sticks will freeze over before he finds me in the kitchen baking them right now. 'course part of me feels a guilty ... but just a small part and just a little guilty ;)

Have a great day! You are all inspiring!

Abstract927
02-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Welcome flab2fab -- we're all here to support one another! I'm turning 38 this month too. We can do it. One pound at a time. :D

mama2a&c
02-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Welcome flab2fab! Good job on loosing 4.8 lbs! Keep up the good work and lean on your new found friends to help you along the way!

Sherrie, I checked my husbands protein powder and its a whey powder and about 120 cals. It about 4 carbs and 2 grams of fat. Sounds like yours is a better deal. I know hubby uses his to help him bulk up. Ummmm...I don't need bulk baby!

Abstract927
02-02-2005, 05:18 PM
mama2a&c -- Exactly baby! It the best bang for the caloric buck I've found -- not a deal for the wallet though I'm afraid (one of the more expensive ones I've used)

flab2fab
02-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Ladies. Not only am I eeking towards that 40 y/o mark but I just realized today that I will have a 20 year high school reunion some time this year. YIKES! Now I really have something to work this weight off for. I want to knock em dead. Happy Birthday, Sherri.

kimberlydrn
02-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Lisa- actually I can't run a mile yet either. I'm not sure how far I ran. I just know that it was 5 minutes. It will be a while before I work up to even a mile. I've never been a runner, but thought it would be a great way to get in shape.

Sherry- you're so welcome. How'd your date go, lol?

Flab2fab- Great job on the 4.8 pounds!!!!!! I'd be thrilled to lose that in 1 week. Welcome!

mama2a&c
02-03-2005, 11:48 AM
:sunny: Ok...It is a small weight loss. 1 pound but I'll take it. When I weighed on Monday I hadn't lost anything from the previous week. I was bummed since I had been working pretty hard at it. So I thought I should review what I was eating. I looked back at my food log and I had been barely eating 1200 cals a day. So I started eating a bit more (still making good choices) and I popped on the scale this morning and the one pound was gone. :D I'll still weigh on Monday too. I'm just so excited over one little pound! :lol: It is just what I need though. To see my hard work is paying off...even if its slow going! I have to remember that I haven't even been at this for a month yet. It took me years to put all the weight one so I can't expect it to come off in a matter of three weeks!

Anyhoo, Good morning! I hope your day is a great one....and I hope we can all make good food choices for today and even get some exercise in! ;)

Lisa

rtardif
02-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Reading through everyone's postings is very inspiring. :) I'm amazed at how much I seem to have in common with everyone here, especially with things that I thought I had to be only one that did certain things. For example, flab2fab's statement about eating as much as possible becasue tomorrow I start the diet. I don't know how many times, I've binged on pastries because I was going to never eat them again starting tomorrow. And if I let myself be talked into eating something I shouldn't, then I eat a ton of junk food because I've already ruined that day, so I'll just start again tomorrow. I'm really working on those two issues now. I'm making myself work hard to not binge just because I took a small bite of something, or because I had one cookie. :cookie:

I do much better with the exercise side of things. I have a 14month old German shepherd that has to stay home all day while my husband and I work. So to make up for it, I take him for long walks in the evening. It is very hilly where I live, and so I do a lot of walking up hill. I monitor my heart rate, and it really gets up there. The road on which I live is on a mountain side. I usually walk it at night. I walk one mile up hill, and then walk/jog back down. It's somewhat cold, but out in the country, the stars are beautiful. And I'm not worried about being out after dark. There aren't many people willing to mess with my 90lb dog. And my husband often walks with me, too. I recently bought some weights and have been working with them, too.

We are living in a temporary house while we build another. We just moved to a different state and had to sell our weight set. When this house is finished, we'll get another set. And I'm hoping that working on the new property and house will give me quite a bit of exercise. Anyway, thanks for the support.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-steps/slider-ard/lb/200/150/200/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

mama2a&c
02-03-2005, 02:45 PM
rtardif, your walks at night sounds awesome! I wish I had somewhere like that to walk. For now I guess I'll just use my imagination. I'm sure walking that 90 lb. dog is exercise too. Does the dog walk or you do you walk the dog?!

kimberlydrn
02-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Lisa-I was down 1 pound also. I'm so excited! :high: It's slow going, but we're getting there.

******if-I know what you mean about binging and pastries (especially Krispy Kremes :nono: ). I've been there many times. One thing that really hurts me is that I do a lot of comfort eating.

Well, I had a hard time sleeping last night, for some reason. I only slept 4 hours. I hope I can take a nap before work tonight. I have to work 11P-7A.
I've done pretty well so far today. I went to the fitness center and did 35 minutes on the stairclimber, 30 minutes on the elliptical, then 25 minutes on the treadmill. I've drank 60 oz. of water already, and I ate Kashi GoLean for breakfast with skim milk. I've got to try to space out my food today, since I have to work all night. My weigh-in is tomorrow also. I hope to lose another pound.

God bless and have a great day!

rtardif
02-03-2005, 04:42 PM
mama2a&c: Charlie, my dog, actually does really well on a leash. But since we're out in the country, I don't use it most of the time. He was born blind, so he doesn't wander too far from. Otherwise, you'd never know he was blind. He doesn't. :cool:

kimberlydrn: I'm a major stress/comfort eater. And I can justify or rationalize anything I eat; "I've had a bad day, I deserve this piece of cake." OR "Oh, look! I got out of bed today. I deserve a whole bag of Oreos." :cookie:

Abstract927
02-03-2005, 09:27 PM
I hear ya sisters! And today was a very stressful day! So far not too far down the wrong path but the oatmeal cookies are calling - LOUDLY I think I'll head to the shower - can't eat my way into too much trouble in the shower can I? :dizzy:

rtardif
02-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Hey mama2a&c! I just noticed that you're from Austin, TX. I lived there for five years. Pretty much the first half of the 1990's. I grew up in Corpus Christi, then lived in San Antonio, then Austin, Montana, and now Idaho. I absolutely love the Texas Hill Country, especially the wildflowers in Spring. That's why I put the armadillo on my status bar (see other posting). j

Sorry to get off the subject. It's just fun to meet people from "back home." :) :) :)

kimberlydrn
02-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Well, check out my signature. I got to add an angel!!!! I got off work this morning and went to the fitness center. I'd have to say that today is the most tired I have been while working out. I only did 32 minutes of cardio today. I spent all of it on the treadmill. 16 minutes of it was running though (intermittently). I can't wait until I can run 1 mile straight. :tread: I'm taking a "cheat day" this weekend though. I've been craving pizza for 2 months, so I'm going to pig out one day. :jeno: I haven't decided which day yet though. Maybe tonight.... :devil:
How's everyone doing today? Do any of you ever take a designated "cheat day"? I'm starting to feel a little burned out, so I think it's time. I just can't let it set me off into a full blown binge. I think I'll make myself take 1 week off from the scale, but still maintain 60+minutes of cardio at least 5 days next week. I'll stick with the weight watchers plan, but I'll just use all of my flex points in 1 day. Does anyone have any exciting plans for the weekend? I work 7p-7a tonight and Sunday night. I think my son and I are going to go see that movie "Alone in the Dark" tomorrow. It sounds good. Well, I'm going to catch some ZZZZ's. Have a great day!

rtardif
02-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Congratulations on the additional angel kimberlydrn! And I definitely believe in cheat days. You have to allow yourself some fun and the ability to eat what you want once in a while. We are human after all. And too strict of guidelines will only make you want to binge eventually. And if you stick with the cardio like you are, then a day of pizza isn't going to hurt you. It's the lack of exercise, and the pizza everyday, that's gotten us in the situations that we're in.

Your life is meant to be enjoyed, too. :lol: :lol:

mama2a&c
02-05-2005, 10:45 AM
:coffee: I'm in some serious need of coffee....but since I stopped drinking it I need some green tea!

I wasn't around yesterday because I had a doctor appt. It is official. I have Plantar Fasciitis. I don't know how many of you have heard of it. But it hurts like the devil! :devil: The doc said I needed new running shoes. They were older than 6 months. So I spent the day looking for the most comfy shoes I could find. It seems to help a bit. The doc also gave me the speech about weight loss. It was my first. I knew it was just a matter of time. The doc also said no running or high impact stuff. Since I don't really run its not that big of a deal. I was only starting to run. TaeBo isn't high impact so I think I'll be ok with that. Otherwise, I'm going to keep on moving!

Kim, congrats on the angel! You have earned it! Enjoy the moving with your son. I haven't been to the movies in almost 3 years! :o I do watch a lot of dvds but nothing brand spanking new. I'm sooooo jealous! :p

rtardif, I did see your armadillo and was curious. How did you end up so far from Texas? Its almost time for the Blue Bonnets this year! I'm sure they will be as pretty as ever.

Sherrie, how did you do with the oatmeal cookies? Did they start screaming at you?! :D I also had issues yesterday. I wonder what the moon is doing?! I have to get back on thetreadmill today and work extra hard to work off any wrong doings that I did yesterday. :tread:

Keep up the great work people! Have a great day! :)
Lisa

kimberlydrn
02-06-2005, 02:59 AM
O.K. folks. I fell off the wagon. I've been binging for 2 days now. I was afraid this would happen. I finally had my pizza I had been craving though. We're having a potluck at work tomorrow night too. I'm so ready to get back on program though. Eating all this bad food is really draining. It just makes me feel bad. Monday morning will be another fresh start. I had been doing so well since Christmas and I ate 3100 calories Fri. and 3200 calories today. Can you believe that? I have a feeling tomorrow will be just as bad. It will probably be a 2 pound weight gain for the weekend, but hopefully I can lose it next week. Hope your weekend is going better than mine.

kimberlydrn
02-08-2005, 12:08 PM
O.K. I'm back on track. I'm not able to work out yet, as I have been pretty sick, but I'm making better food choices again. I ate 20 weight watchers points yesterday, and so far today I've had Kashi Heart to Heart cereal with skim milk, an orange, and 9 pretzels. I'm having egg beaters with a piece of whole wheat toast for lunch. I think I'm going to make Taco Soup for dinner tonight. Hope everyone is having a great day so far!

mama2a&c
02-08-2005, 04:02 PM
:^: Wow. I have also fallen off the wagon. Its been a tough few days. I know I'm doing some emotional eating too. That is not helping at all. My hubby is getting transfered to Dallas at the end of the month. It is a promotion but Dallas is not where we want to live. I have been working on convincing myself this move is for the best....all the while I'm stuffing my face. Have got to stop that. I have been walking every day but I'm very very frustrated because of my foot pain. I can only walk at 3mph for less than 1 mile. It is not fast or far. I did do my pilates yesterday and that helped me feel like I was atleast doing something. I just don't want to gain all that I have lost. I need to keep moving in the right direction.

Kim, don't worry about the pizza. The craving is gone and now you can start again! :) I hope you start feeling better soon!

I wonder where everyone else is. Maybe we all fell off the wagon! :o

rtardif
02-08-2005, 04:49 PM
I'm always falling off the wagon. I should start wearing a seat belt. Superbowl Sunday didn't help. Although, I didn't do as bad as I thought I would. I did find a good snack. In small amounts, it's not too bad. I found a really good mango/peach salsa. It's all natural, with no added sugar. Eaten with baked corn chips, it's not too bad of a snack. I also love pineapple salsa.

Another good snack for times of crisis is sugar-free jello made with no-added-sugar applesauce. When I'm craving something sweet, which is most of the time, I go for this. I can pretty much eat the whole bowl if I'm desperate, and it won't hurt my calorie/fat intake.

My husband and I made a big move this past summer because of a good job change for him. We were stressed big time, and I think I gained about 10 lbs. We're still not completely settled in, but we're making progress. I allowed my self to eat normally, but I had to do some sort of aerobic exercise every day. It helped alleviate the stress. And I wasn't trying to battle two things at once - the stress of moving, and the stress of dieting.

And remember, taking a step back after two steps forward, is still progress. :)

OrcaFan
02-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Name: Sandra

DH/DB/DK: DH Jim, :love: 13 1/2 years; DD, 12 (this month!); DS, 9

Pets: None at this time, although I'd love some kitties and a Bichon Frise

Work: Former teacher, working 2 days a week at Curves now

Exercise: Curves and Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds 2mile

Goals: To learn to love myself, to accept myself, to believe in myself. To learn to eat healthier, limit carbs, give up my personal poison of choice (Pepsi Cola), To get to the bottom of my emotional, guilt-laden eating binges and replace them with prayer, with healthy food, with activity, with LOVING ME!

Long term weight loss goal: 155 lbs. :o

Short term weight loss goal: 20 lbs. by my anniversary on May 18 :cheers:

mama2a&c
02-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi Sandra! Welcome! You are more than welcome to join our little group! :) I love your goals! I also have those goals but not the Pepsi thing. Being in Texas it is all about Coke! Luckily I have been able to let it go though. I had a sip of my dh's and it was like drinking syrup! :p Post often Sandra so we can give each other a lot of support! Together we can do anything! :strong:

rtardif, I also go for the sugar free jello. I'm kinda lazy so I just buy the little pre-made containers. :lol: They work just as well! I was at Costco this weekend and saw a HUGE box of them. My mind started spinning! :dizzy: Superbowl was okay at our house. I made a veggie tray and we just snacked on that. The big snack was stuffed mushrooms (lowcarb but not low fat!). I only had two small ones so I was okay with that.

rtardif
02-08-2005, 07:54 PM
There's supposed to be a new Coke coming out. It's a diet Coke made with Splenda. I love Splenda. I would be a basket case without at this point.

Welcome to the group Sandra. I also like your goals. You have love yourself before anyone else can truly love you and before you can truly love anyone else. I'm 37. It took me 36 years to figure that one out. I'm not sure if I'm there yet, either. But I'm trying. I think a lot of us are emotional eaters. We have to find our comfort in something. Prayer and God help a lot and are great and necessary, but they don't always provide immediate relief like chocolate does. Or at least that's my life's experience. And sweets and pastries (my personal downfall :( ) don't give you negative verbal feedback.

Anyway, good luck with your goals. I read this almost every day for support. It does help me to know that I'm not alone in this problem/adventure.

Abstract927
02-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Hello everyone! Sorry I haven't been able to check in the past week. A horrible bout of migraines has prevented me from looking at a computer screen.

Have been heavy on the starch, light on the water and delinquent on the exercise for the past several days -- since the migraines started. I weighed this morning and am up 3.6 pounds :?: which I really hope is at least partly water retention! Regardless I'm in a bit of a funk! Hopefully by the weekend I can get it back together.

Sandra - glad you found your way here. Like I said before, I think you'll find everyone here very supportive.

Kim - I hope you're feeling better soon. Good for you for getting back on track so quickly. You are an inspiration!

rtardif - Coke make with Splenda would be great! I've been drinking the stuff with aspartame and praying it doesn't do me in. And you're absolutely right! You are not alone in this!

mama2a&c - should you be doing a lot of walking if you are experiencing a lot of foot pain?

Have a great night and a better tomorrow!

mama2a&c
02-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Sherrie, glad to see you back. Migraines are horrible things. They run in my family and I have been lucky to only get them about twice a year. Twice a year is pretty good considering the torture your body puts you though! I'm sure the weight gain you had will be mostly water. Once you start drinking again it will slip right off!

The foot pain is bad. I even posted in the thread about weight loss with health problems. The doctor said I can continue to walk just no running. That is not too hard since I can't even run 1/4 of a mile! Right now I can barely walk a mile without my feet starting to scream. I was walking a lot farther than that before the feet took over. Weightloss is the big factor in getting better so I have to do something. Diet alone won't keep me motivated. So for now I walk what I can walk and I do pilates, and the AbLounger.

Well, I'm up and dressed for exercise! I'm ready to start this thing....ok...I need my green tea first! Ofcourse, by then my dd (2) will be awake and I'll probably wait until her nap time to even workout. See how easy that is for me to put it off?! Oh that is bad! But I promise to myself and to all of you....I will workout today! Hold me accountable! I need your help! Together.......we can do it!

kimberlydrn
02-09-2005, 12:37 PM
I was beginning to wonder about you guys. I'm so glad some of you posted. I was getting lonely. :cry:

Lisa- Thank you so much for asking, but unfortunately I'm still sick. I feel so fat without doing my daily workouts. I guess you'll just have to get enough exercise for the both of us, lol.

Robin- I also love the sugar free jello. I like to put some fat free cool whip on the top of mine.

Sandra-Welcome! We love meeting new people here. I also love your goals. I pray daily for help in meeting my weight loss goals and overcoming temptation. Post often!

Sherry- Thank you for your kind words. I don't feel very inspiring right now. I'm eating better though, so that's a start.

Well, so far today, I've had 2 egg beaters, 2 slices whole wheat toast with strawberry spread, and 14 almonds. I think I'll eat a chicken wrap for lunch, and some more taco soup for dinner. I love that stuff! Have a great day!

rtardif
02-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Well, my husband and I went for our second (of this week) two mile walk last night. Other than it being cold outside, I really love looking at the stars. We bring flashlights, but try not to use them. Once our eyes adjust, it's not too bad. I'm hoping that I can see the northern lights - that kind of inspires me to keep walking. I was going to work out with handweights and so some pushups and crunches when we got back, but it was already 8:30, and I had other stuff to do before bed. That's the problem with working full time, if I work out too close to bed time, then I can't get to sleep. And I'm definitely not a morning person. This work thing really cuts into my play time!

Sherrie: I'm sorry to hear about the migraines. I can completely sympathize with you on those. I've gotten them since I was about six years old. I get them about once to twice a month. I usually just have to take about four Advil and got to bed. I haven't taken Imitrex, but I've heard it can really help. But I've also heard it's really expensive. Sometimes caffiene helps, sometimes breathing in a paper bag does. But usually just taking drugs and going to sleep. I've also heard that cutting out all processed foods can help for migraine sufferers. But if I could cut out the processed food, I probably wouldn't be needing to lose weight. Processed sugar is an evil addiction. And I don't care what anyone says, for me it's just as hard to give it up as alcohol or cigarettes are for some others.

Lisa: My husband has the same problem as you. His doctor has him doing stretches. He also bought some orthotics from the podiatrist that seem to help him a lot, even though he already has high arches. They're not custom orthotics; they're prefabbed heavy-duty plastic made by ProLab. I'm flatfooted, and wear the same ones. They're great!

Everyone else: we can do this together. Have a great day!

OrcaFan
02-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Hello everyone! I really don't have much time to post today but wanted to play around a bit and get a weight tracker and avatar! ;)

Sherrie -I hope and pray that your migraine goes away quickly. I only get them once in a very great while but when I do, they knock me down for the count. It's horrible. I'm sorry you've had to go through that this past week.

Blessings to all,

Sandra

Abstract927
02-10-2005, 02:36 AM
Sandra - thank you for your kind words. I'm feeling better and will hopefully be back to myself in a day or two.

Robin - The migraines started about 4 years ago. I've been on every elimination diet possible to determine food triggers - there aren't any. Turns out they are triggered by my hormone cycle so I get them once or twice a month (so happy to be a girl right now!- not!). I've tried several medications but none have worked very well. I have recently heard from a couple of people who have had success using a diuretic -- turns out the water retention was responsible. I don't know -- but will surely be checking with my doctor about it. Am planning to monitor my weight fluctuations over the next few months to see if there are any patterns. Thanks for your thoughts. Thank goodness I don't smoke and I'm not much of a drinker -- if I can't kick the food drug I would be in big trouble with the other ones on top of it! Yup it is a evil thing!

Lisa - I loved your comment that once I start drinking again the weight will slip right off. I was about to send my dh out for sangria when it dawned on my that you were probably talking about water :lol: I'm not much of a drinker but I might be convinced to start if I though it would help :)

Well I've re-stocked my refrigerator and pantry so hopefully I get myself out of the dirt and back on the wagon tomorrow. Friday my dh and I will be celebrating our anniversary though so you know I'm planning a cheat. ...and next week is Valentine's Day....and the week after...my birthday....okay so there might be a few cheats coming up but the rest of the time it's balanced meals and water.

BTW I'm having trouble figuring out how much to eat. I've been eating around 1200 calories but according to the calorie estimator on this website I should be eating nearly 1900 (500 less than the 2380 that it estimates I would need to maintain my present weight). 1900 sounds like way too much but is 1200 too low. Your thoughts would certainly be appreciated.

Have a great day everyone and thank you for you thoughts and kind words.

mama2a&c
02-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Robin-Thanks for the info on the orthotics. I was hoping my feet would be feeling somewhat better by this weekend but I don't think that is oging to happen. I need to make an appt. with a podiatrist before we move at the beginning of the month. I know if I move I won't make an appt. for a long time.

Sherrie - Yes. I was talking about water but I do know that sangria can be a cure all! ;) I went and checked out the calorie thing you were asking about and my caloric intake is about the same as yours. That does seem like a lot of calories. I'm not convinced so I'll do some more checking today.

Well, my treadmill needs a little tune up. :tread: I think the belt just needs to be tightened. I'm hoping to figure it out myself but I may have to wait till this evening so dh can work on it. Its a new one so I hoping its just being used so much it needs a little help! :lol: My dd just went down for a nap so I'm going to get a little pilates in while I can. Meals have been okay this week. I seem to do well in the morning and afternoon but the cravings are hitting like crazy at night. I think its stress, emotional eating and habit. I'm working through it but my dh isn't encouraging me....instead he'll ask..."what's for dessert?" :eek: I don't know if its a Southern thing or not but I was always taught that you have a piece of meat (usually smoothered or fried), a starch (mashed pots), a veggie (usually cooked so much it has no color) and a bread. Then top it off with dessert. This way of cooking and eating got me where I am and has been a tough habit to break.

Sorry for the ramble. Not sure what my purpose was with that! :dizzy: I hope you all have a great day! Oh...has anyone seen Loren around? Its been awhile since she posted.

mama2a&c
02-11-2005, 12:46 PM
:?: Ok Ladies, I found this thread on page 2! Where is everyone? We each need support and have support to give! ;) I hope everyone is doing well. I will be out of town looking for a new house this weekend so I won't post until Monday morning.

Have a great day! Keep smiling :D and keep trying!
Lisa :wave:

kimberlydrn
02-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Well, I went to the doctor yesterday, and he wants me to take off work until Sunday. It's so hard for me to eat right when I'm not exercising. I had a Sonic cheeseburger and fries today. I hope I'm feeling better by Monday, as I will be starting with a new intern at the fitness center. The scale shows that I've gained 9 pounds this week. I know there is no way that can be right, but it's hard to not get discouraged. I have been entering everything I've eaten in my Fitday journal, and according to the calories I should've only gained 2-3 pounds. I need to just throw the scale away. I have been getting some much needed rest this week though. I woke up early this morning and drank a pot of coffee :coffee: :coffee2: and spent some quality time with the Lord. It was so rejuvenating. :angel: It really put things in perspective for me. I am so blessed! Well, I hope you all are having a great week. Tomorrow is a new day!

rtardif
02-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Hello everyone. I hope you're doing well. We got a call at 4:00am yesterday that my father-in-law was in the hospital. :( He's doing okay now. We're just waiting for the test results of his cat scan and MRI. :?: He had a seizure yesterday morning. We're worried, of course, about him. And I've been praying for him. I'm sure he'll be okay. He's recently been put on thyroid medication, and they think that may be the problem. But in the mean time, I've eaten a ton of junk food (stress eating), eaten fast food because of the lack of time, and drinking tons of caffiene because we haven't gotten much sleep. My hands are currently shaking. Things will work out, and I know this is temporary, and I'm worried about him, but I was just getting back in the routine of walking at night. And now, we're driving back and forth between work, the hospital, and our house, which is out in the country. The hospital is about an hour and a half away. Oh well. Please pray for my father-in-law (Jim).

Lisa: My routine monthly migraines are hormonal, too. They hit on what would be the last two days of my period. I've gotten these since about my mid 20's. The other migraines are just a bonus. I had a hysterectomy a few years ago, but the doctor decided to leave in one ovary so that I could still produce my hormones. Thanks a lot, doc! My hormones are not nice. They're evil, awful things. If you ever get a chance to read the book, "I was a hormone hostage," do it. It's really funny. And pretty much the story of my life.

I was going to start attending Overeaters Anonymous last night, but for obvious reasons, didn't. Has anyone else gone to them? If so, what did you think? I just figure the more support, the better. And since we just moved to this area, it might be a good way to make some friends.

Well, take care. And if I don't get back on this weekend, have a great one!

Also, from the research I've done, 1500 is almost the lowest you should go for a diet. Any less could shock your metabolism and actually slow it down. I try to limit my daily intake to 1600.

kimberlydrn
02-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Robin,
So sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I'm glad he's doing better. I will be glad to pray for him. Don't worry about the stress eating. You can get back on track when things settle down. I've never attended an Overeaters Anonymous meeting, but it's worth a shot. You can always try it. What could it hurt? Have a blessed weekend!

rtardif
02-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Well, we just heard back from the doctor. My father-in-law's diagnosis is diverticulitis, an infection in his large intestine. The fever he had with it is what probably caused the seizure. Anyway, he's home now, and on antibiotics.

I ate two large cinammon rolls today. But I made a challenge to one of my coworkers for both of us to lose 50lbs. His doctor has been on him to lose weight also. This way we can keep an eye on each other at work. That will help me a lot. Tonight I'm going to relax and watch my Thursday night shows that I recorded. I'll start back on the exercise tomorrow. First I must sleep.

Thanks for the prayers.

Abstract927
02-12-2005, 02:44 AM
Robin - I'm glad to hear that your father-in-law is back home. You are all in my prayers. Please take good care of yourself. You are on a journey to health -- and that is much more than the number on the scale. Sometimes life throws us curves and we handle them the best way we can. And please breathe. No kidding! You've been through a stressful time. Breathe in to a count of 4. Hold it for a count of 7. Exhale to a count of 8. Do that a few times and it will change your energy flow. Trust me! Also during particularly stressful times human nature tends to move people into their heads and out of their hearts. Breathe in through the nose and exhale through the back of your throat so that you make a sighing "Ahhhhhhhh" sound. It automatically moves you back into heart energy and helps quiet the overactive mind......couldn't help sharing my 2 cents. :)

Thanks for the calorie info. I've been struggling and thought the 1200 I've been trying to stick to was too low. I'm not losing weight and I think I've slowed my metabolism by cutting too many calories.

Kim - sorry to hear that you're still not feeling well. It's good to take some time to recoup.....and some quality time with the Lord is a good thing too. :) I know those backsteps on the the scale are really frustrating but you're right -- part of that is bound to be water retention. Take care of yourself. You're in my prayers too! When you're feeling better you'll get back on track. You've come so far!

I'll check in over the weekend! Take care everyone.

Sherrie

kimberlydrn
02-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Hello! Well, today is a new day. I'm not back to my old self, but I do feel better. I actually felt like exercising today. YEAH! It's amazing what a difference exercise makes in the way I feel. I did my 3 mile fat burning walk away the pounds video. It's a good one. Do any of you do the any of the WATP tapes? They are excellent. I've done well on my eating today also. I ate Special K with skim milk for breakfast, 1 serving sugar free chocolate pudding for snack, and 1 cup of taco soup and a granola bar for lunch. I'm getting ready to go out to dinner with my sister and her husband, so hopefully I can abstain from anything too fattening. I'm so ready to get out of the house. Well, have a good one!

Abstract927
02-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Kim - one step at a time as they say. Sounds like you're on the road to feeling better. What can you tell me about the WATP program-- is it a CD that you use while walking outside or on a treadmill? Or is it a Video/DVD that you have to follow along to? Any info would be appreciated :D

I feel like I'm getting back to myself too! The migraine is almost nearly gone but have had a rough few days with a sick dog. We're not getting any sleep at night and we're feeling pretty run down. I'm not entirely back on the wagon but am doing much better than I have been. Here's to new days!

Abstract927
02-14-2005, 12:54 AM
I'm test driving the Software from CalorieKing.com Have any of you had any experience with it or the website? It helps you set a target calorie intake, tracks calories and how you spend them (protein, fat, carb, fibre). Tracks water intake, exercise and progress. I think you can also download menu plans and the like when you purchase the software (about $30 US). I've just downloaded the 14 day trial today and am liking it so far. Just wondering if you've had any experience with it.

Today went pretty well. I stayed within my calorie target and did a pilates session....and a lot of up and down stairs doing laundry. And I drank more water too.

....that's progress I'd say. Have also lost 1.4 of the 3.6 pounds that I gained so hopefully I'm back on track.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone and here's to the start of a whole new week.

It has been a little quieter around here hasn't it? Loren and Kelly appear to be MIA. Anyone heard from them? Together we can do this.....

OrcaFan
02-14-2005, 06:32 PM
I LOVE Walk Away The Pounds!! I have the DVD with the basic, beginner stuff on it - the One Mile Walk and the Two Mile Walk. I have graduated to the 2 Mile walk :cheer: and even my almost 12 year old DD likes to walk with me! My goal is to do the WATP DVD on the days that I do not work out at Curves.

Sherrie-Leslie Sansone is the "creator" or "exercise guru" or what have you, who leads the WATP workouts. Basically, you are walking in place in your livingroom ... and she adds some kicks and leg lifts (but not major aerobic stuff) and then she incorporates some arm movements and hand held weights into the workout. I really feel good when I am finished and am looking forward to graduating to the next workout. Leslie has several different WATP workouts at different levels. I think you might really enjoy them! This is her website: http://www.lesliesansone.com/ but her video tapes and DVDs are available in stores, as well. I've seen them in bookstores such as Barnes and Noble (also at the online store) and also at other stores such as Meijer, Target, and Wal-Mart (don't know what stores you have way up there in the great white north, lol ...) for lower prices. Look around and see what you find!

Sandra :coffee:

rtardif
02-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Good afternoon everyone. I hope you had a good weekend.

Sherrie: I hope your migraine goes away soon. And sorry to hear about the sick dog. I know about that only thing that wakes me up in the middle of the night is the sound of a pet or child throwing up. It's way better than an alarm clock. I hope you get some good rest tonight.

Kim: Glad you're getting back into it. Exercise does definitely help to make me feel better. Even if I don't feel like it while I'm actually doing the exercise, I sure do feel better when I'm done. Keep at it, you'll be feeling great again in no time.

My coworker and I weighed in this morning. I've lost three pounds now. It's not much, but it's a start. And it's the first time in a few months that I've been down below 200. I don't usually go by the scale, but more by how my clothes fit, and my actual measurements. But it's hard to compare those with my coworker. And since we've challenged each other, it's the only way we can make sure we're sticking to it.

Have a great day!

Abstract927
02-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Congratulations Robin. It's been years since I was in onederland. Can't wait to join you there.

I hope everyone is having a great day!

kimberlydrn
02-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Well, I'm definitely back on track. I went to the gym this morning and did 20 minutes on the stairclimber, 20 minutes on the bike, 10 minutes on the treadmill, and 10 minutes on the elliptical. I've done really well with eating also. I ate too much yesterday, so I kept my calories low today. I had special K, pretzels, green beans, and an orange. I won't even say what I had yesterday. :ink: :nono:

Sherry- How's your dog? I haven't tried calorieking, but I use Fitday.com. It's free and I love it. Great job with the 1.4lb. weight loss, pilates, and drinking your water! :high:

Robin- That's wonderful that you've lost 3 pounds. :cp: Keep it up sister! I'm ready to start dropping again.

Sandra- I also try to do my WATP video on the days I don't go to the gym. It does make you feel good when you get finished. :cb:

Well, hope we have a great day tomorrow. I'm feeling pretty good about it. :goodluck:

Abstract927
02-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Good Morning Everyone! :cb:

I'm feeling like I'm back on track...almost. Can't wait to get a full night's sleep again. My dog is up every hour to go outside and when he's inside there is constant whining (not fun when he sleeps with you!). The antibiotics should be helping get his intestines working properly again but the poor little guy is a little stressed because he feels like he has to "go" all the time - hence the whining and going outside all the time. There is progress though, a few night's ago he was going out every 10 minutes. He's like our baby but he'll never grow up and vaccuum! :shrug:

Kim - way to go girlfriend! You'll be dropping again in no time! :dance:

Robin - Keep it up! It is hard when you only measure the scale -- are you and your co-worker also tracking changes to your composition? i.e. body fat :dunno: 'course when I measured my body fat I looked like this :yikes:

Lisa - Hope you're having a great week! :wave:

Sandra - thanks for the WATP info. I hope you have a great week. You can do it! :cheer:

A man was on Oprah yesterday who lost 500 pounds without drugs and without surgery (of course he needed skin tightening surgery after). Geez, makes me a little more confident that this 100 pounds of mine is really doable! I can do it. Oh yes I can! :yes:

Have a great day friends!

kimberlydrn
02-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Well, girls, I'm having a good day today. :D I feel great, it's beautiful outside, and I started my day off with a workout. I did 25 minutes on the stairclimber, then 37 minutes on the treadmill (1 mile jogging, 1.5 miles walking), then a little weight training. :strong: So far, to eat, I've had Kashi oatmeal, 14 almonds, 9 mini-pretzels, all bran granola bar, and a blue bunny fudglite popsicle. I need to get in some fruits and vegetables, but I'm doing pretty good with the calories so far. Well, hope you all have great day!
Kim

mama2a&c
02-15-2005, 04:06 PM
The past few days have been crazy! :dizzy: On saturday we drove to Dallas to find a new house. Sitting in the car all day was not fun and I felt pretty bad since I couldn't work out. The positive was that my feet felt GREAT! That is also a negative. :( For my feet to feel better I have to stay off of them. I can't loose any weight by doing nothing. Changing my diet has helped but I need those feel good moments on the treadmill. We got back home and yesterday I did a walk/run (2 minutes each) on treadmill. I was doing great.....until....something threw me for a loop and I couldn't even walk. So I quit. Last night I got up to go to the bathroom around midnight and I couldn't walk. I held onto furniture to get to where I needed. UGH! I'm so flipping frustrated! :mad: :( I know I have to keep going. I have to. My life and my sanity depend on it. Sounds dramatic, I know. It is how I feel. There have been some very stressful things in my life in the last 4 years that has lead me to eat emotionally. I don't want to continue to be this way. I just quickly jotted down some of these stressors.
-Seperated from husband (ex) after 11 year marriage.
-Got divorced
-Fell in love (not a stressor! :D )
-Mom fell ill, died within 3 months - breast cancer -diagnosed at 30, cured, died at 54.
-job transfer moved to TX.
-got married
-got pregnant
-hospital 5 days for pain management (10x10x12 cm uterine fibroid)
-daughter was born premature (24 weeker-weighed 1.6 lbs.)
-I was in the hospital for 10 more days
-daughter in NICU for 3 months (daily trips to hospital)
-hysterectomy
-ex husband commited suicide
-mother in law died of heart attack
-son started junior high (oh my!)
-husband is being transfered to Dallas...another move! UGH!

Believe it or not I even left some stuff off. It has been a crazy world for me in the last 4 years and I have eaten away every bit of pain. Yeah...right! I know we all have bad stuff and stressors happen to each of us. We have to move on and take care of ourselves. No one else is going to do it for us! What does Dr. Phil say?....if we don't care of ourselves first then we can't take care of anyone else. Something like that anyways.

Thanks for letting me ramble. I'm sure its just hormones and frustration. :dizzy:

I didn't watch Oprah yesterday because I was watching that movie "Super Size Me". Wow. What an eye opener. I recommend it to anyone who eats fast food.

Sherrie, I also use the freebie from Fitday.com. Its great. Tracks it all for you. It really helped me see where I was missing in my calories. Oh...and what was wrong with your dog? Sounds like he was miserable.

Robin, Great job on the loss. Keep it up!

Sandra, I haven't tried the WATP dvds yet. Is there a starter one? Can you do it on your treadmill? BTW.....you are so perky! I love it! :D

Kim, you are a workout queen! You are really getting back into the swing of things! :)

Ok....friends....here is your little reminder....how much water are you drinking?! I have read on 3FC that you need to drink half of your weight. So if you weigh 200lbs. then you need to drink atleast 100ozs. Keep on drinking! :D

Lisa :sunny:
Oh...I didn't weigh in this week. I'm kind of scared to. I thought I might wait until next Monday.

mama2a&c
02-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Oh Kim, when are you going to start a new thread? How many pages should this one get? Does it matter? Just a thought after my epic long post! :)

rtardif
02-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Hello again. I hope everyone had a good valentine's day. Mine was pretty good. My husband and I had gone out to dinner on Saturday, so we didn't do too much last night. We usually walk about two miles every evening, but the weather was too cold and windy last night. I can manage the cold, but cold and windy - I prefer to just stay inside. I played with our dog for about 20 minutes, which is somewhat aerobic. He's a 90lb German shepherd and loves for us to chase him with his ball. Then while I was trying to do some crunches and weights, he had to come help me on the floor. He's blind and ended up stepping on me while I was on the floor. And since I was down there, he decided it was a good time to play. Needless to say, I didn't get many crunches done.

I am so proud of my self. The office in which I work shares a building with a State operated day care center. It has a full kitchen with food cooking off and on throughout the day. My cubicle is on the other side of the door to the kitchen. Not easy for me. Yesterday afternoon, they baked cup cakes with pink frosting and handed them out to our office. I believe I've mentioned before how hard it is for me to refuse pastries and such. Well, I did! I did not even eat a crumb. It was so hard, but the more the other guys in the office teased me, the more resolute I was to not eat one. :nono: I'm going to lose this weight!!!!!!!

Wow Lisa! You have had quite a lot of stressful experiences over the past few years. I pray your future life is full of joy, happiness, and good health. Have you thought of going to the YMCA and swimming? It's great exercise and doesn't stress your joints or feet. If we had a pool here, I'd be in it every day. I love to swim. It's probably what I miss most about living in Texas. I know the Austin YMCA has a pool, my dad has used it.

Has anyone tried the Russell Stover low carb (sugar free) jelly beans? I tried a few last night, and I think they really messed up my stomach about an hour later. Or at least, they gave me an irritated bowel. If you haven't, beware. I don't ususally have too many issues with food, other than not liking most vegetables. And I ate only one serving from the bag.

Have a great day!
Robin

mama2a&c
02-16-2005, 09:53 AM
:coffee: Just sitting here drinking my green tea and actually smiling! I said I didn't want to get on the scale till next Monday but I cheated...I peeked this morning and even though I ate pretty bad this weekend I still lost weight! :D I'm down another 3 lbs! :goodscale I'm also proud because when doing my pilates yesterday I was actually able to do the whole thing the right way....with legs at the right angle, head raised. That is monumental to me since I have had many ab surgeries! I guess all this stuff REALLY does pay off! :strong:

Robin- Congrats on staying away from those evil cupcakes! :cp: I know this time of year can be tough. I hate going to the grocery store right now because of all the pretty pink icing on everything. Easter is next up so the icing color will change but the temptation will still be there! UGH! I also know how much fun playing with a dog can be. One of our dogs is a mix breed (lab/hound mix) and he is a fatty too. He is a strong fatty though! Anytime I get on the floor my pug comes over and steps on me and bites my ears! Dogs are so fun! :) I have thought about joining the YMCA and they just built a brand new one here (about 5-10 miles away) but since we are moving will a membership transfer? I don't even know where exactly we are moving to so maybe I should just wait for that one. The swimming does sounds great though.

I have tried some of the low carb candies from Russell Stovers but not the jelly beans. I tried the pecan delites and peppermint patties. They are ok. Not great. I'm sure its all the fake ingrediants in them that hurt your tummy. Just go for a piece of fruit when you are looking for something sweet. Last night we did yogurt & fruit parfaits. It was very filling.

Keep up the good work people! Drink your water!!! Lots and lots of water!

Lisa

krazykellyontario
02-16-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm the person who started this group and then I disappeared.
Actually.....I fell off the wagon. And so soon at that.
I watched Oprah on Monday and all the other success stories she had on there and that really motivated me into doing something very serious about my weightloss journey. I made the DECISION to lose weight and I signed a contract with myself.
I'm starting day #3 of no sugar, no refined sugar(no white bread, no white pasta no potatoes etc), drinking 6 glasses of water a day, and exercising 7 days a week and not eating 2-3 hours before bedtime and frankly....I'm quite proud of myself! I havn't stuck to a "diet' for 3 days in a row in I don't know how long!
And I'm feeling really good about. I'm going to check out the recipe part of this site for some low carb/no carb meals.

Looking forward to catching up on all I missed!

Kelly

mama2a&c
02-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Kelly, I'm so sorry! You are the one that started the thread! I can't believe I missed Oprah. Everyone is talking about it. I watched Super Size Me instead. Although its about eating its not the same as Oprah! She is very motivational not to mention she looks GREAT! Do whatever you can to stay on track. Use us! We can be here for each other. We won't "tsk tsk" you but help you get back on track! Congrats on 3 days. Those first three days can be the hardest!

Lisa

rtardif
02-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Maybe it's like the smoking commercial says: All those other times that we tried to lose weight and failed were just practice. This time we're going to do it.!

kimberlydrn
02-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Good morning! :coffee: Today has started well. I went to the gym, did 38 minutes on the treadmill (jogged 15 minutes of it), then 22 minutes on the elliptical. I've had 480 calories so far. I made my son eggs and french toast sticks this morning and ended up eating 2 of them. I burned them off in my workout though.

Kelly-Welcome back. I was wondering about you. I'll leave it up to you about starting a new thread since you started this one. I'm not even sure how to do it. Glad you're back on track! You're doing great so far! :high:

Lisa-You have certainly been through so much. I'll keep you in my prayers. I also watched "Supersize Me" It was a big eye-opener. It makes you want to stay away from fast food, that's for sure. I'm also scared to weigh in. I think I'll wait until next Friday if I can and then post my tracker again. Great job losing the 3 pounds!!! :cp:

Robin-That's awesome that you resisted those cupcakes..Major victory! I don't think I could've done that. I'm so weak when it comes to baked sweets. I'm so proud of you though! :bravo:

Abstract927
02-16-2005, 01:30 PM
WELCOME BACK KELLY :cp: Glad to hear that you've re-committed yourself. You really can do this one pound at a time. When I saw Oprah I thought if that man can lose 500 pounds without drugs and surgery and Oprah herself could do it in her 50's then this hundred pounds of mine must be doable too! I'm not perfect but I'm learning that is not the point. I am making progress and I am better than I used to be. I am learning that this weight loss journey is not all or nothing - I can indulge once in a while and then keep moving forward making better choices. I am learning to bring light and reason to that irrational voice in my head that says if I'm not losing 10 pounds a week then what is the point. Like Lisa said, "Use us!" and I would add - especially when you're down. There is no judgement here. We are all trying to support one another. When I was off the wagon, reading about others successes helped me work through it.

When Kim plateau'd and kept working her plan anyway - that was really helpful for me - thank you Kim :angel:

The point is, we never really know how our own actions, thoughts and posts are going help other people. We just say what we say because it is true for us. When our words go beyond the screen and help others that is where the true power of these forums is felt. Your triumphs and struggles shared in the light can be not only beneficial to you but to any/all of us too. Kelly check in often. We are all in this together. :soap:

Lisa - You have been through so much these past four years. I am truly sorry. But can I also say that I am so darn proud of you for taking this time to care for yourself. You know I'm in your corner cheering for you every step of the way! :cheer: And way to go on the weight loss. That's gotta feel good! Oh, about my dog....the little darling took it upon himself to dig in the garbage (not something he usually does) and ended up with a bacterial infection in his intestines which prevented them from working properly. So he had a tummy ache and, with his intestines not working properly, felt like he had to "go" all the time. He's been on antibiotics to fix him right up. Yup the poor little guy was miserable but he's almost back to his spunky bossy self. Thank you for asking. We have no children so you gotta know that he has become ours. I know, we're SAD! :shrug:

Robin - Great resolve avoiding those cupcakes. And playing with your dog sounds like way more fun than walking in the wind. I hate wind and we sometimes get a lot of it. Makes me tired and grumpy :tired: I haven't tried those jelly beans either but I agree with Lisa, must be all the fake stuff in 'em. Thanks for the heads up - I won't be trying them.

So far today I've had a banana protein shake. I'm planning a treadmill date before lunch which will likely be leftover chickn stirfry. Gotta drink more water (have just been getting 6-7 cups down over the past few days but it's not enough). But all that running to the ladies is cutting into my productivity.... :o

I loved Oprah's comments on Monday's show. It is not about willpower or I will try....It is a decision you make.....a decision......now sit in the center of that and feel how empowering it is.

Have a great day everyone. And sorry about the epic length. Sometimes I can't even stop myself :sunny:

Abstract927
02-16-2005, 03:21 PM
Just curious...does green tea count toward my water intake or no?

krazykellyontario
02-16-2005, 04:17 PM
I know from doing WW you can have half your water in decaf tea, coffee or diet decat pop. Hey, in that case...I 've had 6 cups of water today!!! Hurray for me!

mama2a&c
02-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Green Tea-from the book "The Perricone Prescription".
It is critical that coffee is completely eliminated from our diet. Coffee raises levels of cortisol and insulin, hormones that accelerate aging and store body fat. Substitute green tea instead, which contains catechin polyphenols, antioxidents that boost metabolism and slow aging. Green tea can also block the absorption of bad fats by 30%, while the amino acid theonine promotes a sense of calm and improves one's mood. And, ofcourse, avoid chemical -laden diet sodas.

So...basically its good for you and counts for your water intake!

Lisa

rtardif
02-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Hello everyone. It's been a good day so far. I just came back from my break where a coworker and I went for a good walk. We walk up and down the hills around our office for about 20 minutes. We do that twice a day. And then if I have time on my lunch hour, I walk some more. And then when I get home, my husband and I take the dog for a 2 mile walk. I have to squeeze it in where I can. But I need to squeeze in some crunches, push ups, and weights. :strong: And I try to squeeze in more on some days if I know I won't be able to the next day.

I asked my doctor about using tea as a water source, and she said as long as there is no caffeine or sugar, then it counts towards water consumption. And I sure hope that's true, because I drink a lot of herbal tea. I like the fruity ones. But the best tea I've found (for me anyway) is Madagascar Vanilla Red. It's a red tea, which is supposed to be even better than green tea in terms of the antioxidants it contains, and it has no caffeine. Green tea does have a small amount of caffeine. :coffee:

Kelly: Welcome back. It's nice to meet you.

Kim: How do you have so much energy in the morning? I'm dead to the world in the morning. I have to work out in the afternoon. But you give me inspiration!

Have a great day!

rtardif
02-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Sorry. I need to fix my last post. Everyone here inspires me! Thank you. :D

kimberlydrn
02-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Robin-Actually, my workout is what gives me my energy. I just feel bad if I don't start my day with it. Usually after about 20 minutes, those endorphins are released and it just makes me feel good and helps me get through the day. I take my son to school, then I just swing by the gym afterward.

mama2a&c
02-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Ladies, just a reminder....Kelly started a new thread so post over there!