Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-17-2005, 09:55 PM   #1  
For my HEALTH...

Arrow Pre-surgery Shopping List

This List is for RNY-Gastric Bypass. There would be some different items for Lapband folks. See LAP BAND FAQ thread for that List.

When I had my pre-op evaluation/session with the WLS nutritionist she gave me a packet that listed things she suggested we eat during
the 1st 3 phases of eating after our surgery. I hope you get something along those lines from your doctor.

In the very beginning you will probably be sticking with mostly protein shakes and possibly broth or tea.

Then you might progress to some of these items:
Smooth soups. You can use Blender.
Protein Powder to add to things (My brand is ProCel there are others)
Low sugar/low carb yogurts
BABY FOODS
PROTEIN DRINKS/SHAKES
Crystal Light
unsweetened applesauce
instant oatmeal (Plain- not the kind with sugar flavors)
whipped Cottage cheese
Fat Free or 2% soft American cheese slices.
Tea
sugar free jello or sugar free pudding
chewable vitamins
TUMS.
After awhile I graduated to chewable Calcium Citrate also.

This list was for what I needed to have in my house when I first got home from the hospital before I was allowed to have any solid foods.

After this stage is over you should be well enough to go food shopping again!

Last edited by POOKIE88; 06-13-2007 at 12:27 AM.
POOKIE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:09 PM   #2  

I just wanted to thank you for this post.
Salem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:31 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

i'm just reviewing pookie's fabulous list and wanted to add a couple of things.

first, right after surgery, be sure to follow your doc's program, even if all of us think it doesn't make sense [there are docs out there who want pts on nothing but carbs for the first week or two, which generally makes us very very ill; and then there are docs who think that their patients can actually EAT right after they get home, and still others who think that their patients can actually consume 4 oz of protein within two weeks. these docs are extremes, and we think they're nuts, but YOU MUST figure out what works for yourself].

and pookie's list is a general one, and you should pick and choose what you like, and what works for you from this. these choices worked well for her, and others.

i went to the protein shakes, cottage cheese, the solid parts of high-protein soups, cheese, cottage cheese. and after a couple of weeks, it was thinly sliced deli meats.

baby food - bleccch!!!! and applesauce, yogurt, and oatmeal made me dump.

it's trial and error. experiment until you find what works for YOU, and stick with it. but PLEASE don't give up if something doesn't work for you. just try something else and come back to it in a couple of weeks.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:18 PM   #4  
For my HEALTH...

Hi Jiffy,

You are right about the thinly sliced Deli meats. I did enjoy them once I was allowed to switch to solid foods. I do find the Deli meats a bit salty though so I try to get the low sodium versions. I also enjoyed Tuna Fish with low fat mayo when I was allowed to start solid foods.

My original list above was for what I needed to have in my house when I first got home from the hospital before I was allowed to have any solid foods.

I had to stick with the protein shakes and "soft" foods for quite awhile. At this point I don't remember exactly but I think it was about 6 weeks until I could start with the solid foods.

I really enjoyed the "Whipped" 1% Cottage Cheese. I like that texture much better than the regular cottage cheese. --Pookie

Last edited by POOKIE88; 03-02-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:22 PM   #5  

What is "Whipped Cottage Cheese"? Where do I find it? Or is it something I do to it to make it whipped?
Norma J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 01:23 AM   #6  
For my HEALTH...

Hi Norma,

I don't know if it is a National Brand or not but in my area one of the big brands of cottage cheese is FRIENDSHIP.

Friendship makes several versions of cottage cheese. One of the versions is their Spreadable 1% Whipped version. Some stores do not have the Whipped version. I like the fact that it does not have those large lumpy curds. It has a smoother lighter texture. I also like that it is low fat.

Norma, When you are back home let us know how it all went. Good Luck--Pookie

Last edited by POOKIE88; 06-13-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:00 AM   #7  

Hi Norma,

I have tried whipping cottage cheese at home with my stick blender, it works great! I also found this to be less expensive. I am a big "texture" person, couldn't stand the lumps! I even make a dip out of it by adding spinach and salt & pepper, and maybe some garlic.

Best of luck with your surgery!
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:22 AM   #8  

You're welcome Pookie, you can even add some hot sauce and/or pepper flakes if you are in the mood for something spicey.....
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:44 PM   #9  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

My Niece had the surgery done, and while she was in the hospital, she saved the little cups that they bring your meds in. They are perfect for your jello and such and they are the right amount! She ate right out of them! Just a thought!

BOB
THE BIG ORANGE BABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:49 AM   #10  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

Thumbs up

What a wonderful list!

I do want to mention, though, that I had my surgery 2 weeks and 3 days ago, and was eating solid food on post-op day 5, with my surgeon's blessing. In fact, they suggested I do chili that day. I loved it, did great, and I'm eating everything now. I make sure I get at least 40 gms of protein, though, through other means, like Isopure drinks (I can't seem to tolerate shakes and even dump on them once in a while.)

This is a great forum. I'm glad I found it.
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/180/155

Height: 5' 1"

Some doctors don't recommend it, but mine did--I drank a lot of milk with the Carnation Instant Breakfast powder mixed in. That gave me about 20 grams of protein or so. I really wasn't in the mood for anything solid at first so that's how I was surviving!

Also, I bought non-fat powdered milk and added that to everything, so that would add protein.

Everyone has said it already but cottage cheese was my best friend. I also ate a lot of scrambled eggs with cheese (shredded and melted or cottage cheese) for extra protein.

AND MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE RIGHT AFTER SURGERY...
Refried beans with melted cheese.......MMMM!!!!!!!!!
FluffyGirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #12  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

Hey, Fluff, I've also been subsisting on Carnation Instant Breakfast, too (16 oz skim milk + 1 packet CIB = 20 gm protein.) Between that and my Nectar Protein, I get a minimum of 60 gm/day.
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:54 PM   #13  

I haven't had WLS, so pardon my intrusion please, but how about

Children's Tylenol (liquid)?
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:01 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

well, hi there, 4myself - nice of you to stop by. let's see if i can answer that question about the children's liquid tylenol..

right after surgery, most of us are on heavy-duty painkillers - generally things that contain codeine. after a few days, our need for this lessens, and it's not a good idea to add tylenol to the mix without the doc's OK.

since we can't take things like aspirin and ibuprofen for quite awhile, most of us really do have to take acetaminophen [tylenol] - so the children's dosing works great!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:36 AM   #15  
Angela

S/C/G: 275/260/150?

I've been shopping in prep for my band scheduled for May 12. I wanted to share that I found adult liquid tylenol - cherry and they also have a p.m. version that they are calling vanilla but i think that me a bit of a stretch. the coolest thing i found was gas-ex in those thin strips that you put on your tongue and they just disolve. i thought that would be easier for me than chewables.
CJsPrincess816 is offline   Reply With Quote