Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:36 PM   #1  

Default fibromyalgia #133

I can't believe we've had 133 threads already. We sure do talk a lot!

It snowed here last night. First we have a week of thunderstorms that knock the power out, temps near 70, and then it drops into the teens and we have snow. Weird winter. My dog hates it when it gets cold. If it gets below 30 she stands outside and barks to be let in the basement. Hubby's griping because he has to let her in on his new tile! Most Goldens love the snow and cold but not her. She just wants in! Smart dog!!! It's the rain she likes ... everytime it rains I have to MAKE the dummy come in. She just runs around like a loon and gets soaked.

I have a very light week planned ... no school today so I'm thinking about cancelling lessons this afternoon and just taking the whole day off. I feel a lazy spell coming on!

Hey Tammy ... just take off some time and don't worry about school. The kids will be fine, they can coast for a couple of weeks. Time to nourish yourself. Let me recommend a good "oh my gosh I can't put it down" book for you to read. You can get it used from Amazon or off ebay either one for $3 or $4 plus shipping and probably get it delivered in time to read before your surgery. It's 'Blink' by Ted Dekker. You won't be sorry!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/off...?condition=all

Last edited by MemeToo; 01-17-2005 at 03:59 PM.
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:10 PM   #2  

Default Hey There

For the first time it feels like winter.. We are supposed to have cool weather all this week..
Tammy- I'll be nosey..What surgery are you having? Anyway.. Take it from Meme and get a couple good books.. Good luck and don't worry about your class room. I remember when my daughter had surgery. The sub was calling her every day..
We haven't seen or heard from our son since Christmas.. Well he decided to come by today.. He wanted to let us know he was getting married Feb.12.. He has been single almost 20 years.. I only hope he will stay happy as he seems to be..
Hello Everybody..Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:27 PM   #3  

hey guys...i have a question. My mom is overweight and has fibromyalgia. I always ask her to come work out with me but she never does because she says she hurts too bad. She really needs to lose weight because not only do we have a family history of heart disease and things, she also has high blood pressure and diabetes...so what is something i can do to get her to be healthier? are there any excercises that are less painful and trying on her joints? I know she wants to lose weight..because i have been and i see the way she looks at me...i just am at a complete loss for what i can do to get her to try and not just automatically say i cant. Thanks.
Nikki
desertseatingoceans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:27 PM   #4  

Meme, I wrote down the title of that book. I have an account with Amazon, so I'll head there after I finish messages. We had snow again last night. The temp was below zero when I got up. By the time I drove to school for our work day, it was 3 degrees!

Joanne, I'm having carpal tunnel surgery on Thursday. I already have severe nerve damage in my right hand, so that is the one we're doing first. Haven't decided if I'll have the left one done or not. Depends on how the right feels after a while.

I do plan on getting some reading done while I'm off. I have plans typed up for all the subjects that I teach. All the sub has to do is go down the list in each subject and check things off as she does them. I typed up a bunch so she doesn't run out of things to do! lol I'm sure that the other 3 teachers at 2nd grade will help her out if needed. I also have an aide part of the day who works with a couple of my students. She'll be a big help too.

Congratulations to your son on his approaching marriage! Wow! How far does he live from you? My son is taking the ACT that day, and he is playing a snare drum solo in a solo and ensemble contest.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:37 AM   #5  

Hi Nikki

Exercise - not an easy task for those with FM. Whenever I do even the most simple exercises I end up doing something to the muscles and it takes about 8 weeks before the pain subsides, so it isn't something I am rushing out to do. If she can walk without too much pain, that is good. Start with a short walk to the end of the driveway and back, and then go bit by bit. I do have sore feet lately. Feels like knives going through the bottom of my feet, so walking ISN'T high on my list either.

Diet - eating right is essential. Not living on junk food. It is hard for most of us to drop pounds because of the meds we take.

I hope she can find something simple and effective. This darn disease puts us in a catch 22 situation.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:59 AM   #6  

Good morning-thanks for the new thread. The good news and the other news. Brad's colonoscopy went well-no polyps-just hemeroids . Endoscopy showed an ulcer and hiatal hernia-has to go back and have another in 8 weeks. He also had his throat stretched-he chokes very easily. Now me-no kidney stones showed up so I had to go to a urologist. I made the appt for when Brad was having his treatment and he was done early so he had to wait almost 2 hours for me-luckily he was drugged so he didn't mind -ha!!! Back to me-I still have blood in my urine so now I have to have another ct-this time with the dye. They are looking for a tumor or something. Did you know that exposure to smoke can cause bladder cancer. My deceased husband was a heavy smoker so I was exposed recently and also I grew up with it-smoked myself for a while. So I have to wait another week before I know anything. That's why I didn't say bad news-I just don't know what the news is. 2 more blood tests today before they do the procedure
Joanne, what a nice surprise!!!!!We have 3 unmarried children and I would be happy to hear that news myself-if it was the right one. Maybe you will have more grandchildren. I waited 14 years for my second one.
2 ladies from Brad's church called-one to ask about him.What nice people!!
I am sorry you guys have such cold weather-we are freezing but it's all relative.
Best wishes on your surgery, Tammy. I dreaded rotator cuff surgery for the pain and after it was such a relief to not be in pain. Bye for now-ps Candice are you ok. Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:17 AM   #7  
RAR

Good Morning just popped in to wish everyone a pain free Tuesday for ll of you who are having some cold weather try and stay warm !!!!!!!! ohio weather is cold right now too at least it isnt raining a lot of flooding around areas where I am atMimathe other test that you will be having will turn out good news also so think postive Anne sure know the feeling that you have with your feet and both of my jobs require a lot of walkingUGH! Tammy good luck with your surgery I am sure once it is over you will be glad that you did it so baby yourself!!!!!!Joanne congrats on your son getting married Nikki it so hard trying to get another person to exercise my son who is terrible overweight at times I have begged him to do something so I lernt him my bike so hope he is using it well everyone have a great tuesday Rita
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #8  

Default Hey There

My son is 46 and his girl friend is 44. She has 2 grown children. I doubt they will have any children.. It has been a dream of mine that someday he would have a child. I guess it was just a dream..As long as he is happy that is all that counts.It will be a small wedding..
Tammy- He lives just a few miles from me.. He is pretty busy..he is a design architect and has some rental properties to keep up with..We don't get to see him as often as we used to. I will get used to it. I guess guys don't come around as often when a partner comes on the scene.Good luck with your surgery.. My daughter taught 2nd grade for nearly 20 years. Then they decided to move her to 1st grade. She is grade leader there too. There was a big shake up in that school. Not big enough though..She has no aide. She usually has an intern teacher.. That is just more pressure.
Mima- I hope that you can get these health problems resolved.. I will pray it is just minor..I am enjoying the cool weather.. It will be hot soon enough.
Welcome Nikki..Are you greek?It would be nice if you could get your mom into a support group like tops.Weight Watchers is still good.South Beach Diet is good. I have done all of them. I now belong to Tops... It can be done on line. I really like going to the meetings.. They could encourage her to lose weight. She ofcourse has to be willing to help herself too.Her Dr. could refer her to a Fibro. Group. I walk for exercise.. I think it is the best .I can't/won't do any other. I have oa and I don't like pain.
Hello everybody else .. Hubby wanting to go to town so I'll be back later...Joanne
Old 01-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #9  

OK ... our church is hosting a "Couple's Garden" the Saturday before Valentine's Day and I'm in charge. I nailed down the guest speaker last night, have the ladies who are willing to make the luscious "right off the pages of a magazine" desserts lined up, I'm singing the special ("My Valentine") so NOW I'm stressing out about the questionnair for each person. I'm trying to put a picture on the front of colored paper and have writing on the inside and back with questions "ABOUT HIM", "ABOUT HER" and then on the back "ABOUT US" to see how well they know each other. They will do these before the guest speaker takes the floor and then compare with each other. I can't seem to get everything lined up and readable. I think it's my crappy printer!!! It's driving me NUTS!!! (didn't have far to go!)

Have any of you ever been to a "Couple's Garden"? They are awesome. Each couple goes out to eat to a nice restaurant of their choice. Then they come to the church or organization that is sponsoring it for a dessert and drink. There are several individual desserts set up on a table for them to choose from with slips of paper in a bowl in front of each one. If they want the first dessert, they would choose the number representing that one and take it to their seat. A waiter comes to their table and collects their choice and gets their drink order and goes to the kitchen and brings back their choice to them. After everyone is served, they interact with each other through a handout or a game ... getting to know your spouse/partner and then there is a love song and then a guest speaker speaks on relationships.

Some of the questions are funny ... such as, "Who spends the most time in the bathroom?" And some are argumentative ... such as, "Who must always be right?" and "Who uses the remote the most." Then the last one on the ABOUT US page is supposed to start you thinking: "If you found out tomorrow your spouse was going to die within the next week, would you treat him/her differently?" I also have to come up with 11 questions for HER and 11 for HIM. It's kind of like the 'Newlywed Game' on paper. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a new printer, though!

Speaking of sore feet ... the one ulcer I've had on my ankle for nearly a year is getting better but I now have two more places popped up ... one on top of each foot! Can't win for losing around here. And then hubby just called a few minutes ago and told me to call and get him a Dr. app. right away, he dropped a piece of steel on his toe and tore the nail off and it won't stop bleeding. What next?

Mima ... sending you and your hubby prayers. Hope it all turns out well. You, too Tammy ... just 2 more days!

I'm freezing ...
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:27 PM   #10  

Mima, keep us posted on what is happening with you. Prayers are with you guys!

Joanne, if it is a small wedding, does that mean that all of us are not invited? I was already practicing songs to sing! lol

Meme, the question thing sounds like fun. Wonder how much my hubby and I really know about each other after almost 24 years? Ouch to your husbands toe!

Thanks for the good wishes for my surgery on Thursday. A couple people at school told me not to even think about school while I'm out. Oh my. That will be tough. I hope they behave for my sub.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:38 PM   #11  

Hi everybody.

Candice where are you? I hope you are doing ok.

Mima - I hope your tests come out just fine. Both you and hubby are having a time of it.

Joanne - I saw pictures of Florida on TV and everybody is dressed up like we do when it is cold!! The bad thing is that the cost of oranges and such skyrockets when you guys freeze.

Tammy - I hope your surgery goes well. It is carpel tunnel isn't it?

Meme - the thing is, the longer you have been married the harder the questions are. We played a game similar to this at my son's wifes wedding shower and she could answer everything - new love you know! I don't know why, but the favorite song changed somehow over the years also, the favorite color etc. It is quite easy when you first start out.

Well, it is starting to warm up some here. Up to 30 today from 37 below yesterday. Needless to say, the pain levels are high and I am really stiff. The cold weather at least keeps the pain at bay because there is no humidity.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 05:48 AM   #12  

Hi all!!! Had to go for 2 tests yesterday and they wanted a whole cup of urine-sorry to be so specific-so I went to the grocery store and took a bottle of water off the shelf and drank it while i shopped. Then went back-and couldn't stop going. Too funny. Well, we went out to LOOK at cars-wanted a bigger one so we can only bring one car down. We ended up buying a Toyota Highlander-that guy was not going to let us out of the showroom. It is the first car I have ever driven that I can see out of. Too late in day to get insurance so we have to go back today. We also have to send someone in house to find title to the Toyota that we are trading in. Let's hope!! Thank you for all the prayers!!! Prayers for you Tammy so that the pain is manageable. I always worried when I was not in school but it always turned out ok.
Up at 4 again. that's me and stress. Yesterday I was back in bed at 9. I guess you won't be having any granchildren-now you will have to hope for great granchildren, How is yours that's in the Navy? We are cool again today but it's 3 at home. Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:20 PM   #13  

Default Hey There

Tammy- Sorry my son isn't even asking his cousins as far as I know.. They haven't discussed it with me.. He is having a sit down dinner so I guess he is really limiting people..Good Luck with the surgery.. I agree, forget about school.
Happy -The price of oranges are up here too. The hurricains ruined the orange groves . Most of the crop of oranges and grapefruit ended on the ground..
Meme-I have heard of churches holding classes for couples.. My son and his wife to be were going to them..
Mima- I bet you are glad to be down here now.. We will watch the swearing in tomorrow..The snow in Washington is falling. I bet there will be a lot of cold people there..
I have a two piece dress I made about a year ago in my closet.. I will wear that to the wedding.I have only worn it once. It is really nice shantuag..All I need to buy is hose..
My hubby never wears a suit. As amatter a fact the only one he has is too small and going to someone else..So I will have to get him a sport jacket and pray he will put on a tie..More fun!!!
Hello Candice...Joanne
Old 01-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #14  

I've decided if the surgery really helps the right hand, I'll have carpal tunnel surgery on the left hand sometime since it is causing problems too. Then I'll have carpal tunnel on the left ankle, then the right ankle, then the right jaw, then the left jaw. By then the school year should be over and I'll have to summer to take it easy!!!! lol

I won't be typing much one handed. I'll be typing with 1 finger and that will drive me crazy. I don't have to be there until 11:15 tomorrow, an hour before the surgery. They said the surgery should take an hour.

My whole body is aching today, so I figure it is from worrying about the surgery, and also some worrying about school. I need to relax.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

Hello - I have been reading your thread and wonder if you mind me joining in? I am 32 and have been diagnosed with many different things..all chronic pain related. I am lucky enough to work in a doctor's office and am a massage therpaist, so while it is very hard on my body at times, I get good health care and body work when I need it.

When I was 15 I was in a car accident that left me with more things broken than whole. Since then I did a decent job with rehab and building my life again. I even hold 4 black belts. But 3 years ago things started sliding backwards. Suddenly I gained 40 pounds and any exercise at all seemed to cause injuries. I ate horribly and was on all kinds of pain meds! No one mentioned fibro for the longest time. When they finally did, it made perfect since.

Now I am on a very strict detox diet and eat only certain foods. I take vitamins specific to my needs and am on a very limitted exercise program that I am struggling to stay on. I walk, or ride a bike for 30 minutes at a decent pace. Last week I ran for 5 minutes once...but of course, things have been screwy since. I'm looking forward to building slowly.

Most of the time I do well. I feel very very fortunate that way, but when the pain kicks in and a new cycle starts I can get pretty low. That's when I know I need the support of people that understand that while I don't look sick - sometimes, I really am. I have to remind co-workers, my BF, and even my mom and family sometimes. It gets very frustrating! It's hard to stay positive sometimes while you're having to remind everyone in your life that there are real limits to what you can and can't do. Makes me wish sometimes that this came with a rash - or a sign

Anyway, I have enjoyed reading along and would love to be able to join in. Have a great evening.
little grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote