Old 01-22-2005, 08:47 PM   #16  

Hello ladies,

Went to Ww this morning and had a 2.3#loss and that was without any exercise. Just think if I would of exercised some. After my weight in I stopped off at the office supply store and got one of those big calendars to put on my wall. I do seem to do better when I can visually see when I have exercised or when I have not. I know it's a mind game, but it works for me.

Cat - have fun at your storytelling.

Thin - That is great news on the job. I'm sure you will get plenty of steps in working the flea market. Now be sure and stay away from the corny dogs and all that good food out there.

Mooz - 20,000 steps that is great. I still have not seemed to get passed 12,000 steps, of course i have not been walking so i'm sure that is one reason why. I'm going to commit to journal my food next week. Want to join in?

Nita - Hope your enjoying your time with your kids and grandkids.

Hal & Mitchellez - Hope to hear from you all too.

ps. changed my ticker. I'm using my starting weight with Ww from last spring. I had actually lost about 15 lbs gained some back but not all of it. Geting back on track.

Last edited by 1day@atime; 01-22-2005 at 09:16 PM.
1day@atime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:39 PM   #17  

Default RE: Burrrr.... it's cold outside...!!!

Hey everyone!

Wow, back into the swing of things, and it is truly difficult to fit everything in. AS of last Monday my weight loss was 7 pounds. I only hope to maintain that loss tomorrow because I did not exercise as much as I had the first 2 weeks. I also 'fell off the wagon' during a food event with my culinary skills students. I even felt bad after eating that stuff, physically ill. I know a big part of it is emotional/psychological - which is not all bad. Anyway, the good news I am still highly motivated, still exercising and still planning on much less of me in the near future. I cannot, I repeat, c-a-n-n-o-t wait to drop a clothing size or two or three!

Mooz: You are so lucky, exercise is no battle for you. I envy you! Hey, thanks for the new home! I agree on water. I've been true blue to drinking it as I've experienced recent weight loss success. As we all know, it takes everything all together to pull this off.

Thin: Good news on the new job. What type of items are you selling at your booth? I bet you meet all kinds of folks, huh?

CatLover: Tell us more about your new job! Good to hear you have a promotion! I do hope you enjoy it lots.

Michellez: Our school is sponsoring a version pf The Biggest Loser also. We even have some students participating. The teachers that are doing it walk in the halls late evenings to work off the weight. Lots of folks are excited. I think the group effort is a very positive part of the weight loss efforts. I know it keeps me on track. How are you and your husband doing on your contest program? Come on, details girl....!!!

OneDay: Good job not eating poor choice foods during stressful times. A good friend of mine recommended making 1/2 cup containers of steel cut oatmeal and having it ready to consume. It is hot, it is full of fiber and fills you up! I add some splenda and some sweet and low brown sugar. It has been a part of my weight loss so far, so I am changing nothing.

Here is an article from WW on planning for success. I have to admint, I do plan my meals. I am eating lots of WW and Lean Cuisnie frozen meals supplemented with fresh fruits and veggies. It IS working... like a charm!

Motivation Center
Can You Change Your Ways?

We are creatures of habit, but change is possible if you have the desire. Motivation for self-improvement stems from caring about yourself. You can do it if you open up to the idea of change and stay focused on the positive end result. Here are tips to affect lasting change.

Know Yourself: When people make behavioral changes without identifying their motivations, behaviors are less likely to stick. Think about what you want to change and why. Write it down in the form of an affirmation and frequently say it out aloud.

Make a Plan: Outline incremental, achievable goals and build in rewards along the way. Measure your progress. "When it comes to losing weight, one of the most effective methods is self-monitoring," says psychologist and weight-loss researcher Daniel Kirschenbaum, PhD, director of the Center for Behavioral Medicine and Sport Psychology in Chicago. "Systematically observing and recording target behaviors, such as reduced calorie and fat intake and increased daily exercise, helps you stay on course."

Create an environment for success: If you want to eat better, rid your cupboards of tempting foods and keep healthy snacks on hand. To exercise more, make sure your workout gear is always clean and put it where you can see it. To facilitate self-monitoring, keep a journal and pens readily available.

Swap Bad for Good: Our bad habits fill a need. As you break old patterns you still need a way to meet these needs. Identify what the payoff is for the bad behavior and find a positive way to meet it. If you overeat when you're tired or stressed out, try napping, meditating, or going for a walk instead. If you order high-calorie takeout to save time, prepare a healthy meal but use paper plates to cut down on cleanup. Or learn what you can order that won't throw you off track.

Join Forces: Numerous studies have shown that if you partner up with one or more people with similar goals, you're more likely to achieve them. Find friends on the message boards or at your meeting. Look for other opportunities, such as enlisting a friend for regular walks or trips to the gym.

Strategize for Relapses: If you have a plan for how to deal with failure, you'll spend less negative energy on the relapse and be able to get back on track.

Have a GREAT week girls. I do my very best to post during the week!
HalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:48 AM   #18  
Mooz

10 Ways to Lose Weight without Trying!
By Susan Burke
Every day you’re faced with choices… choices that make the difference between a size 8 and 18. We don’t get fat overnight and one big blow-out won’t undo a week’s worth of healthy eating. It’s the day-to-day decisions, those consistent choices we make that make us slim…or keep us overweight.
I’m sure you’ve seen those "naturally" thin people who seem to eat whatever they like and never gain weight. I bet you that A: they only overeat occasionally, B: they stay active, and C: their usual diet is healthy and moderate.
It’s the everyday stuff that’s important. It’s easy to say but more difficult to put into practice. There a lot of temptation out there - fat tastes good, sugar’s sweet - but that swim suit reminds you of your good intentions. Ask yourself the following questions – and be honest in your replies.
1. Someone brings a box of chocolate-covered biscuits into works. You:

a. Eat one biscuit
b. Eat two biscuits
c. Forget about it! You already had your cereal and milk for breakfast

2. You have an exercise bike, treadmill or stair stepper at home. You use it:

a. Every day
b. Twice a day
c. Once or twice a week
d. I use it as a clothes rack

3. When it’s time for lunch, do you:

a. Eat, because it’s time to eat
b. Wait, because you’re not hungry

4. What’s a “normal” size serving of meat?

a. 3-4 ounces
b. 5-7 ounces
c. 8-10 ounces
d. More than 12 ounces

5. How many times a week do you eat out for lunch?

a. More than three times
b. Only once or twice
c. Never… I bring my lunch
d. I don’t bother eating lunch

6. Your gym membership is about to end. Over the past year you’ve used it:

a. Often, at least twice a week
b. Occasionally, maybe once a week
c. Forget about it! What a waste… this year you’ll be better!

7. You’re travelling for business. Stuck in the airport, you:

a. Grab a burger and fries… and a diet coke
b. Eat pizza and beer
c. Get a salad with chicken
d. Don’t sweat it; you’ve brought a sandwich and water

8. Your dog needs to go out. You:

a. Let him out the back door
b. Put on the lead and take him outside
c. Walk him at least 30 minutes, twice a day, every day.

9. When you’re thirsty, you drink:

a. Full sugar, full caffeine fizzy drink
b. Diet fizzy drink
c. Juice
d. Milk
e. Water

10. If your kids leave food on their plates, do you:

a. Throw it away
b. Save it for later
c. Well, I don’t want to waste it… I eat it
d. Tell them they can’t have dessert until they finish what’s on their plates

11. (Bonus) How many pair of athletic-style shoes do you buy per year?

a. Less than one (they look like new)
b. Two
c. More than two
d. I bought stock in Nike… I’m constantly wearing them out!

How you live dictates how you look. Make smart choices consistently, and you’ll stay slim.

1. Think what biscuits really are – refined carbohydrate and saturated fat. A few biccies once in a while can’t hurt you, but people who make a regular diet of them have difficulty staying slim.

2. Buying that exercise equipment was a great idea but only if you use it. Most people wind up hanging their clothes on the treadmill, or it gathers dust in the box room. If you buy home-exercise equipment, set it up in an obvious place where you actually will use it. Make sure it’s something you like to do. Try it out in a gym first and don’t buy the cheapest model, because it probably won’t function well.

3. Eat to live…don’t live to eat. The "secret" of slim people is that they eat when they’re hungry and stop when they’re full. Don’t eat because the clock tells you to. Smaller, more frequent meals are healthier than a large meal. If you’re not hungry at your assigned lunchtime, then have a small snack and another snack a few hours later.

4. Many of us eat more than double the amount of protein necessary for good health. Active people need about .8 - 1.0 grams per kilogram daily (1 kilo = 2.2 pounds). A "normal" serving of meat, chicken or fish is about three to four ounces, which is about the diameter of a normal-sized hand (palm).

5. Studies show that restaurant meals are enormous and people who eat out more often are more likely to be overweight. It stands to reason that bringing your own lunch helps you control calories, sodium and fat - notoriously high in restaurant foods. Eat out less often and stay slimmer.

6. The secret of staying slim is showing up! Joining a gym is easy but using it takes commitment. Join the gym closest to your house or workplace…don’t join one that takes too much effort to get to - you won’t go. Gyms are great because you can establish a routine and meet new people. But, if it’s at all inconvenient to get there, forget about it!

7. Travel light… in food choices, that is. Food courts in airports are identical to food courts in shopping centres - not a lot to choose from - mainly deep-fried, from burgers to Chinese to Italian. Bring yoghurt, cereal, fruit, nuts, even sandwiches.

8. If you see an overweight dog, look at its owner. Dogs need to stay slim to avoid diseases like diabetes and heart disease, just like people. Your dog can be your best motivation to stay active. Walk your dog - it’s good for you too!

9. If you’re thirsty, you’re not drinking enough water. Drink at least eight (200ml) glasses daily and avoid fizzy drinks at all costs. One can has about 9 teaspoons of sugar and around 150 calories. Juice is not that much better… a few vitamins and minerals, sure, but its not as good as water to satisfy your thirst (and costs you the same calories as fizzy drinks).

10. Don’t be a waste disposal! I know women who finish everything on their kid’s plate and wonder why they can’t lose weight. It’s OK if your kids don’t finish everything on their plate. Let them eat until they’re full – it’s a smart thing to do because it teaches them not to overeat. Just don’t you finish it - otherwise you’ll end up wearing it.

11. Your bonus question: if you need to buy stock in the athletic shoe company, then you’re on the right track to permanent slimness. Health experts report that the best indicator of success in keeping the weight off is exercise. Stay active… stay slim.
mooz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:03 PM   #19  

Hello Ladies,
Just a quick hello, very busy at work. Will post more later.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #20  

Mornin' Chicks~~ Bumping us up to the top again as we were 2nd page. I really needed a day of rest after my 3 days on the job(30 + hours). I did walk 2 miles in the a.m. tho. Just got back from a 2 mile walk and i weighed in yesterday and was 1.5 pounds down! I'm sure if i keep this job the wt.loss won't be a problem. You go-go-go the whole time. I have been drinking the slim fast optima(less sugars) for lunch there. Seems to be a good choice. Also nibble on salt free pretzels, almonds and sometimes part of a fiber bar.

Talk more later on~~ few things to catch up on here.

thinlizzie
thinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:42 PM   #21  

Hello Ladies,

Thin - How does the Slim-fast taste? I have been drinking the Adkins drink for breakfast. The only ones I like iare the chocolate ones. I'm sure you get plenty of steps working the booth.

Mooz - thanks for the 10ways to lose without trying. I am going to print and then answer my questions.

Hal - you sound so motivated girl! What is steel cut oatmeal? Is it a speciality?

Tonight my plans are go get on the treadmill for 2 miles.
Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:41 PM   #22  
Give peace a chance.

Hal, Thin--WTG on the loss.

I am getting the salary increase, but haven't actually started the new duties. The idea of the new job is that all the more complicated calls are to be transferred to experts (such as myself). The people I know who are already doing it say it's actually less stressful, because there's less push to keep your call time down. I might be doing it in Spanish, also--they need Spanish operators badly.

Need to get to bed . . .
Catlover777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:55 AM   #23  
Mooz

Come to life

In this moment is everything you need to live with richness and joy. Can you see it?
If you use this moment merely to wish for more, you'll miss out on most of the value that could be yours right now. If you fill this moment with worries about the problems you face, you'll miss out on the opportunity to transcend those problems.

Instead, find as much as you can about this moment that you can genuinely appreciate. And as you do, the real value of this moment will become more and more available to you.

The options open to you in this moment are more numerous than you can imagine. Find a few of the best of those possibilities, and bring them lovingly to life.

In this moment there is real magic. For in this moment your precious life is lived.

Let all the anger, the worries, frustrations and distractions fall away. And let this moment come to life.

-- Ralph Marston

Mornin chickies ......... I thought it was time for a Ralphie! I do so need it at the moment as I am not doing great on the eating. Far too many treats and I never use the "I have willpower thought" ....... so as Ralphie says Come to Life ........... I should take more care of what I put in my mouth as want to keep healthy.

Catlover - well done on the payrise ..... sounds like a pretty important job you are doing.

Patty - I hope you got your 2 miles done.

Thin - CONGRATS on the 1.5 pounds loss! Sounds like you are kept busy.

Halgal - GREAT loss .......CONGRATS!

Nita & Michelle - looking forward to hearing from you both again.

I want this to be a day when I take care of me especially with what I put in my mouth. I have willpower....... I have willpower....... I have willpower.......I have willpower....... I have willpower.......
so I will take care of me and each of you ladies take care of you!

I heard someone talking on TV yesterday about how blood sugar levels can affect how we eat and I found some info on it which explains how when we eat something sweet we are not satisfied with one bit but then want more ......

How does my blood sugar level make a difference?

When we eat, our bodies convert digestible carbohydrates into blood sugar (glucose), our main source of energy. Our blood sugar level can affect both how hungry and how energetic we feel, important factors when we are watching how we eat and exercise. It also determines whether we burn fat or store it.

Our pancreas creates a hormone called insulin that allows blood sugar to enter our body's cells to be used for energy. When we eat sugar and other carbohydrate-rich foods that are quickly processed into blood sugar (e.g., most refined foods including white flour and white rice), the pancreas goes into overtime to produce the insulin necessary for all this blood sugar to be used for energy.

This surge of insulin causes our blood sugar level to drop below normal which makes us feel tired and hungry. The unfortunate result of this scenario is that it makes us want to eat something else with a high sugar content. When we do, we start the cycle all over again.

In addition to causing our blood sugar level to drop, the insulin surge promotes fat storage. It tells our bodies that plenty of energy is readily available and to stop burning fat and start storing it.

Be especially careful about sugar in coffee and soda pop. It can add up quickly, and these drinks aren't filling. And watch out for "fat-free" foods. Sugar is often used to replace the flavor that is lost when the fat is removed.

It is also important to understand what happens when we skip a meal or go on a crash diet. Our body thinks it's starving and slows down our metabolism to conserve energy. But what is conserved is our fat stores; our weight loss comes from water and muscle.

Regulating your blood sugar level is the most effective way to maintain your fat-burning capacity. Never skip a meal, especially breakfast, and eat healthy snacks between meals. Eating frequently prevents hunger pangs, provides consistent energy, and maintains metabolism efficiency.

When you will be away from home or work, plan your snacks and take them along so that you will be able to eat regularly and won't be tempted by junk food. This may be good advice for people that stay at home, too.

Snacks should be nutritious, convenient to carry, and pre-portioned so that you won't be tempted to overeat. But snacks should not necessarily be fat-free. Fat digests slowly and a little fat will go a long way towards keeping you satisfied till your next meal.

High fiber snacks and meals also help to regulate your blood sugar level. The fiber slows down your rate of digestion, keeping your blood sugar level more consistent and warding off feelings of hunger.

A Note about Diabetes: Some people either produce too little insulin or their body doesn't respond to it properly. This creates too high a level of blood sugar in their blood which leads to diabetes. For further information please visit the American Diabetes Association website.

Last edited by mooz49; 01-26-2005 at 04:23 AM.
mooz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:42 AM   #24  

Sorry I haven't posted in a few weeks. I've been so busy both at work and in my free time (what's that again?).

Weekend before last, I had a wonderful trip to New Jersey to visit my 92 year old grandmother. She even remembered me! I spent most of my time with her in the nursing home (a very, very nice nursing home). I also spent time with my cousins and aunt who live there. All in all, a very nice weekend. Except coming home. The airline lost my luggage and they still haven't found it. The suitcase contained clothes I typically wear to work, my workout clothes, curling iron, shoes, etc. When I got home, I spent the next few days shopping to replace everything. My DH also had his company holiday party the weekend after I got home, and I had bought an outfit while in New Jersey because I didn't have anything to wear. And of course, like all the other clothes, the brand new outfit was lost too. Aaargh. So I also had to shop for a new outfit for the party. Luckily, I found a nice dressy pantsuit that was on sale.

I've also been going to the gym a lot, thanks to being in that "biggest loser" contest at my local gym. Despite the fact that I'm exercising a lot and eating on program, the numbers on the scale aren't showing my progress. We took measurements at the beginning of the contest, so I hope that when we take progress measurements this weekend, I'll see some results. In the contest, we have group personal training sessions 3 days a week -- that last approx. 90 minutes each. We're also encouraged to use the gym on our "off" days. We also have to journal everything we eat each day and turn our journals in each week.

Last week, I went to the gym on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. And on Saturday, I shoveled show for an hour -- which is a victory in itself because, thanks to my asthma, in the 3 years we've lived here, I haven't been able to be much help to my DH when it comes to shoveling.

This week, I've gone to the gym on Monday and Tuesday, and I'm going again tonight for my personal training session. I'm planning on going either tomorrow night or Friday or both, and I have another personal training session on Saturday.

In the personal training sessions, we do some cardio and then it's mostly strength training and core exercises. Lots of Pilates moves, lots of using the exercise ball, and using dumbbells.

I know that I should be "feeling" the endorphins from all this exercise. Mostly I just feel exhausted and a bit sore. But I'm really, really glad that I'm doing this. What's also cool is that the local paper did a story about the contest and came to one of our training sessions. And a photo of me using weights with the help of the trainer got on the front page (granted it's a small town paper, but I still think it's cool).

I hope you all are doing well. Again, I apologize for not posting for awhile.

I'll try and catch up with everyone's posts very soon.
michellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:34 PM   #25  
Give peace a chance.

Michelle--great to hear from you. Even if it doesn't show at first, you know if you eat less and exercise more, you WILL lose.

Mooze--could you stick little reminders around (with your talent, you could even make them lovely) telling you to use your phrase or phrases--on the frig, the cabinet etc.?

Didn't mention that I did pretty well at the storytelling--skipped most of the deserts, and popcorn for snack.

Checking in now because had the morning off for dr visits--came home for lunch and a quick check in! Anyway, the oncologist says my condition is stable, no reason I can't go to Mexico (which is good, since I have the tickets). He thinks it will be years before I have any problems with this thing.

BAck to work!
Old 01-26-2005, 01:58 PM   #26  

Hello Ladies,

Cat - when's your trip to Mexico? WTG on skipping the desserts and just having popcorn.

Mitchellez - So sorry to hear about your lost luggage. Can't believe they still haven't found them. WTG on getting all your gym time in. Don't worry about the numbers right now. Just know that what you are doing is benefitting your health. The numbers on the scale will start moving. Oh, you got me motivated to go to the gym.

Mooz - Have you read DR. Phil's book? He says it's not a matter of willpower, it's a matter of choice. Everyday we wake up and make a choice of what to put on, of whether or not to go to work and of course of what to eat. I guess i'm one who doesn't make good food choices, but I am trying to change that. I don't really care for all of his book, but I like to reread certain chapters to get motivated. Let's make good choices today.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:33 PM   #27  

Hi Chicks~~ Raining again in the valley! What a winter here. Well, DH and i got going w/our rainjackets thismorning and managed to get our 2 mile walk done between drops. Then we had a Costco and Walgreens run and also saw Christmas w/the Kranks at the super saver theater($2.admission!) That was pretty funny.
I got quite a bit of strawberries off the plant i had bought at Target, but now it will be awhile for the next ones to ripen so i bought some. Starting to come down in price finally. Tho' i'll have to wash them real good, they are from Mexico.

Great to hear from you ~~MICHELLE~~ Keep up the workouts at the gym, glad they are keeping measurements too, i am also doing that. By next week it will be a month since i started this e-diet so i will re-measure and see how that looks. I know you will see results in one are or another. Good to have a trainer and neat that you got your pic in the paper! Don't feel bad about just being tired during & after a workout. That is how i always am too.I don't think i even HAVE 'endorphins' to get the boost from!
Sure doesn't seem that way anyhoo. It's a good thing i have DH as a walking partner or i might have given up already. HOw is your DH doing at the gym?

Glad you had a good trip to see your grandma. Did the airlines give you some money to reimburse the lost luggage then? I certainly hope so. That is odd that it hasn't been found.

More snowfalls there? Sounds bad all over this winter. Glad you could work out and shovel so long this time w/o an asthma attack. That is great news.

~~CAT~~ what do you see the oncologist for? I'm sorry if you've mentioned this b4, but i must have missed it. When is the Mexico trip and who will you be going with?
Good job on the treats at storytelling. YGG!

~~1DAY~~ Yes, i thought that might be the case w/Dr.Phils wt.loss book. Sometimes what he is preaching just doesn't 'click' with me either. Glad you can get some motivation from it tho. I think he has that right about nobody having enough willpower to do it, but just to concentrate on your good choices each and every day.
Had movie popcorn today, but that was pretty much lunch, then for evening I made us HUGE salads w/some feta and real bacon on it. Also have some cantaloupe all cut up, so i should be good for the night now. I will NOT eat anymore for tonite, and walk more tomorrow. That is my goal.

Bye for now chicksters~~ thinlizzie
thinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:06 PM   #28  
Give peace a chance.

Let me see if I can answer everyone's questions. I am leaving for Mexico (Monterrey) March 15,returning April 12. I will be helping an old college friend who has been a priest there for about 10 years to start the school he's dreamed about for a long time. I have some funding to pay my way through generous supporters.

Re the oncologist I have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL). At present I am symptom-free--what they call stage 0, only accidentally diagnosed when the dr did a blood test for other reasons. The life expectancy after diagnosis is about 12 years (that is, about half of the people live longer than that), and they are coming up with many better treatments.

I need to get to bed!
Old 01-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #29  

Hello Ladies,

It's raining here to. The weather has turned cold, but nothing like up north. I have been really busy here at work, so in the evenings I have not felt like working out.

Cat - Wow, you'll be gone for about a month. That is great that you are able to take the time off of work.

Thin - That is great that your hubby is into walking to. Having someone to give you that extra push is great. Have you seen any of the movies nominated for the academy awards? I saw Million dollar baby. I really would like to see Hotel Rwanda.

Mooz, Mitchellez, Nita, Hal - Hope you all are doing well. Hope to hear from you all soon!
Old 01-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #30  
Give peace a chance.

Just bumping us up--tho I did see The Aviator. Really excellent