Support Groups - Sanctuary--New Thread! Anyone Welcome #2

LuckyLadyBug
01-16-2005, 09:46 PM
A few friends and I were talking about what we really want in a weight loss support group, and we came up with some very specific
ideas. They all boiled down to one concept; we are looking for
a sanctuary.

Sanctuary means different things to different people. Sanctuary
is a place of peace, rest, safety, and rejuvenation. It keeps
our spirit and our sanity intact.

Many of us who have a long journey down the weight loss path find ourselves in need of a break. Sometimes our bodies crave it, and
sometimes the choice isn’t ours, but circumstance forces it upon us.
Other times, we need the clamoring throng to cheer us along
our way as we breeze past milestones and overcome obstacles.

Sanctuary can be all that as well. It is what you need and when
you need it. Sanctuary can be found in good friends who
aren’t afraid of your truths and in an open, honest atmosphere.

Sanctuary isn’t judgmental, neither does it discriminate or ask to be censured. It is open to anyone with a desire to share, and
especially those in need of and willing to offer support.

Andria :)

The site keeps saying this message is too short to post so I am writing this in hopes it will now work.

LuckyLadyBug
01-16-2005, 09:54 PM
http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/203718/Welcome/Welcomebluestarsandbear.gif

Welcome jawsmom.

Well it took so long to start a second thread that now it's time for Desperate Housewives :)

So, Tony, do YOU like Desperate Housewives or are you too busy studying?

I swear I will get a decent post in here - soon!!! :kickcan:

I wish you all a great Sunday night!!!

:lucky:

southern gal
01-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Hi all!
Just wanted to check in - commercial on "Desperate Housewives"! Hope you have been having a good day! Me, I still need to drink more water. The diet Dr. Pepper habit is a hard one to break...Cooked dinner for the family - and didn't touch it myself. My husband wanted the cubed steak that I do with the fried onions and mushroom gravy. Too many calories for me but I cooked it anyway and didn't eat it. I'm really feeling strong right now! I am determined to make it work this time around. The "Santuary" helps. I really appreciate all the support I feel here.

Welcome Jawsmom! Sounds like you have a good plan. At my age, I know that it is not practical to think I will ever reach the weight I once was, but health is a big issue to me. That is what we need to concentrate on.

Lucky - I'm so sorry you are having problems. I hope this flare up passes soon! Thanks for starting the new thread. The other one was getting really long...

Andria - Loved the piece you wrote. You are an inspiration to all of us!

Yeah, holiday tomorrow! I can sleep late. For someone who is not a morning person, that is pure heaven! Gotta run. "Desperate Housewives" is back on!

Laura

katrinabgood
01-17-2005, 08:51 AM
Ohhhhh....so sick....just to gross you out, I'll share: Vomiting (which I RARELY do, even when I was pregnant) diarrhea, dizziness...just blah. Hubby same. Goody. I've been Lysoling the entire hourse in the hopes that my son doesn't catch it. Blah. I feel sick talking about it. Going back to bed right after I drive him to school.

I'm feeling too blah to even mention the EAGLES' victrory over the VIKINGS....

...oops! Who said that?

lucky
01-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Hello, everyone. I am having scale withdrawls this afternoon. I made my husband hide ours so that I wasn't tempted to step on it everytime I walk by the darn thing. I usually only weigh once a week but for some reason lately, I've just had the urge to check my progress every 15 minutes. Anyway, I caught myself "cleaning" out closets. I feel like a kid looking to peek at presents the week before Christmas. The good news is that I didn't find it and I have two spotless closets so far. Hmmm, maybe he put it upstairs somewhere...

Kat, sorry you are feeling so poorly. We've somehow managed to escape any illness worse than a cold so far this winter. I did manage to get pink eye this past spring. It doesn't compare to what you are going through but it was miserable. I was like you - I didn't touch a doorknob without spraying it with lysol afterwards. Thankfully, I didn't pass it along to anyone else in the family. I sure hope you are feeling better soon.

Have a great day everyone!

fierum
01-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Ack, so much to get caught up on. Last week was pretty hectic for me; we had a few things due, and a graded small-group exercise on Friday. I can't even find Sanctuary #1 to know where to start! *laugh* I had to look it up via my subscription :)

Lucky: Desperate Housewives? I actually don't even have TV set up (I have the Blockbuster unlimited rental plan, so I opted not to get cable TV), so I wouldn't know one way or the other :)

Sorry to hear about people being sick and having problems flaring back up :( I blame it on the cold, personally. It's been frigid outside the last couple of days here; today's been the first day above freezing. It's been hard motivating myself to go work out in the cold. *shiver*

Jawsmom- Welcome :)

I'll write back later when I get a chance :)

southern gal
01-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi everyone!
Just a quick check in. My weigh in day is tomorrow. I'm trying not to let the scale motivate (or unmotivate) me but it is hard not to do. Jawsmom, I can relate to the scale withdrawal. I get on mine way too often instead of just going by how I feel.

Kat, I'm so sorry you are sick! Not fun at all. Take care and get well soon.

Hope everyone else is doing well. I've been running all day - Grocery shopping, taking the boys to the doctor for athletic physicals before soccer season starts, cleaning...but I did get to sleep in this morning! Everything else fell in line after that! Have a good day tomorrow and I'll check in on you then!

Laura

LuckyLadyBug
01-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Way to go BarbG - losing 9 lbs. I am so proud of you!!:cheers:

Andria: :cheers: to you too for losing!!! Since we only run one thread here I was thinking about all we could do is post our bio's and then one of us could keep track, adding new ones and periodically posting all the bios????? Or is that too much ??? :?:

Laura: :cheers: to you too!!! 7lbs is good!!! I too know exercise is the key to this weight loss not to mention all the other benefits. However, having written that, I always wonder why I can find so many excuses NOT to do it!!! :mad:

Isn't Desperate Housewives just wonderful. They sure have a lot of dead bodies in that neighborhood. :eek:

Anna:I can't wait to hear about your pilates machine. Congrats on buying that smaller size!!! :cheer:

Hey, Skit, how are you? We are warming up to balmy tomorrow - 30!!

Jawsmom: Had to laugh at your scale "problem"!!!

Kat: So sorry you aren't feeling well. Must be that place you hang out at at night!!!! :lol:

Okay, so would anyone be in favor of doing a challenge? Something like losing a pound in a week; two pounds in two weeks etc If there is interest we could start next week.

My arms and hands are doing better as you can see! :) I feel a sinus thing going on and it is knocking me out. All I think about is the couch and a quilt.

See why I need a challenge!!! :o

Off to find some dinner - and then find that couch and quilt!!!

For all you losers:

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/203718/Congratulations/congratulations10.gif

lucky
01-17-2005, 08:40 PM
I am definately up for a challenge! I can use any extra motivation I can get these days.

LuckyLadyBug - You have just made me feel guilty. I've been complaining all day about how cold it is - and I think our high was near 50. I would never survive a cold climate. We tease my in-laws every winter (they live in Ohio) and, of course, karma gets us the next summer while they enjoy 75 degree weather and we are sweltering at 105! Luckliy, they let us load up their grandchildren and bring them for a visit so we at least get a week of relief.

I'm so jealous of everyone who gets to watch Desperate Houswives. It comes on just as we are getting the kids in the bed so I've never gotten to watch it. I would tape it but I'm one of those people who would fill up a video tape and never get around to watching anyway. Maybe a Tivo is the answer...

I hope you all had successful days and good luck in advance for tomorrow!

qsilver
01-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Hey everyone :)

I just barely caught up on reading! I'm actually supposed to be finishing up the restaurant piece, but I needed a break for a few. Since I was struggling with that age old quandary of eating the yummy cookie or eating a nice, healthy piece of fruit, I decided to come here and put the food decision on hold until I could decide what it is I REALLY want. :)

The restaurant I got to eat at totally wowed me. The food was truly amazing, and it wasn't all super fatty or starchy. They concentrated on a lot of fresh flavors and that helped to lighten things up considerably. Of course, since we ate and ate and ate, there is no way I can even pretend to say that it fit inside my food plan that day. :lol: I can honestly say that I have never spent that much money on food in one place at one time in my life, and I am so grateful that I wasn't picking up the bill! :)

Diet and exercise wise, food is doing ok, but my exercise is falling into the toilet. I've been doing something every day, but not to a level that will make a difference. I am moving around more as my knee heals (for those of you who don't know, I had my ACL rebuilt in November), and hopefully that will help. My gut has been unhappy for a day or so, and that just keeps me from wanting to really get out there and move. Of course, the movement might be just what I need. Hrmm... hadn't thought of that until just now. Don't you hate those moments? ;)

I'd better get out of here and back to work so this is turned in on time. First though, I have to welcome Jawsmom! Glad you found us and hope you decide to stick around a long time. :)

Take care!

Andria

lucky
01-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Oh, Andria, I feel your pain. I tore my ACL when I was in college. I've always had a pretty high tolerance for pain but the physical therapy afterwards was just about the death of me. I am glad to hear you are able to move around a bit more now and wish you a fast recovery.

chrily
01-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Can I join you guys? I've met Jaws on a different thread and would love to be part of this group as well.

~chris

lucky
01-18-2005, 10:30 AM
morning everyone. We had such a stressful morning today. DH is out of town and I didn't think about needed to get up earlier because he isn't here to help get the kids ready and get DS off to school. That alone I could have managed but when we dropped him off, the teachers were passing out free Chick-fil-A mini biscuits. They are only my favorite! There were two in each box so I thought, "no problem. I'll give one each to other DS and DD." They had already had a small breakfast but I just knew they would take them. Nope. DS didn't want one at all and DD only wanted the little piece of chicken. Oh, what a quandry. Eat them or don't, Eat them or don't. I think we all know how this one ends! It isn't the calories that bother me - they are just bite size and since I hadn't had breakfast yet no real damage was done. But I'm mad at myself for not making the RIGHT choice. The good news is that the mistake will keep me honest for the rest of the day.

Last night was a real challange too. With DH gone and kids in bed I found myself getting the attitude that if nobody sees me eat it then it doesn't count. I had my last snack and forced myself to bed because I knew if I stayed up I would have been gorging myself all night.

I honestly don't have much trouble staying on plan especially once I'm this far into it and seeing results but every now and then it takes a tremendous amount of effort. I don't know what triggers it, I'm just glad it doesn't come around often!

I hope everyone is forward to a successful day. I know I am.....starting......NOW!

qsilver
01-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Good morning! :)

I slept last night, and this morning I feel nearly invincible! It is amazing to me how sleeping during the day leaves me able to function, but a good sleep over the course of a night gives my mind and spirit the time to regenerate as well. I started this night job so I would be able to return to school, but since I'm not going to be able to do that until summer or fall, I've found myself questioning staying there. Thing is, I've been there long enough to have benefits, and not enough places here offer that. Besides, what other job can you sit and read, watch movies, crochet and do your writing most of the night? And I do love the girls there. I work for a youth treatment facility, and some of these girls come in with severe problems. Over the course of a few months, you can see amazing changes take place. I always feel privileged to be a witness to the metamorphosis. I think seeing their change helps keep me fueled and on task for my own. :)

Chris, Sanctuary is open to anyone :) We would love to have you post here!

Jawsmom, I did a partial ACL tear 4 years ago and I thought that was bad. Thing is, I opted to not do physical therapy at that time, and it took me 3 years to get back all my mobility. I've thrown myself entirely into it with this surgery, because I refuse to lose anymore of my life. I know that my recovery will also be enhanced by continuing to lose weight. :) Thanks for sharing so much about yourself. It is always easier to support when you know where someone is coming from and where they want to go. :) BTW, I laughed and laughed at your closet cleaning story. I would go insane if someone hid my scale!

Lucky, I am so glad to read you are back to feeling well. From what I've heard about fibro, it can be absolutely miserable. *HUGS* Thanks so much for starting a new thread. The other one was getting pretty long. I guess we all need to decide on how frequently we should start a new one. And I think the idea on how to handle bios is about the only way we can for now. I do recall a group way back when that used to keep them on a PM or Word or something, and when they got a new group member, they would post it up as a thread. I need a challenge! Two pounds in two weeks works for me. It leaves enough time to work around TOM (time of month) or even a special dinner out and still make your goal. :) When did you want to start?! Monday the 24th?

Any volunteers to be the keeper of the bios?

Laura, I so totally understand that struggle between not wanting to be motivated by a scale and still desperately wanting to see those numbers go down. I jump on my home scale throughout the day, even though I know the thing is so wonky as to drive a person to the brink of insanity. Why don't I throw it out? I've been threatening to for years now. :dizzy:

Tony, :)

Kat, ok hon, I'm officially worried about you. You are almost NEVER too sick to post, so this has to be bad. Hope you are being well taken care of! Definitely thinking of you and sending get well vibes. *HUGS*

Skittles, I did a cut and paste on the New Years Resolutions. It was beautiful and I know I need to read things like that regularly throughout the year to remind me of my real goals. Thank you for posting it! Are you loving your new home? :)

Kiteen, haven't seen you in a few days. I loved the idea of the smaller outfit out where you can see it. Great motivation idea! :)

Hoping I haven't missed anyone. It has been that long since I posted replies! Well, at least you know you will be seeing too much of me for the next few days. :)

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Andria

BarbPA
01-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Hi Gang -
I wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone and apologize for my absence. I may not be around much the next few weeks. Some of you know that I am beginning my 3rd IVF cycle in hopes of conceiving our first child. These cycles are a very stressful and emotional time. I have been doing a lot of meditation, journaling, exercising (could have been more) and game playing to keep my mind off everything and stay centered and positive. Tomorrow is the official beginning of the cycle - I go in for an ultrasound and bloodwork in the morning and if all looks ok there I start 3x daily injections for the next 12 or so days. then we do a lot of hoping and praying!

I will be popping in off and on and will keep you posted and will be curious to see how you are doing. My focus is not entirely on weighloss right now, but on keeping myself positive.

Keep on working and staying positive. Don't forget to take some time each day to enjoy your "Sanctuary" --- whatever this means to you, be it a good book, meditation, journaling, exercising or just 5 minutes of peace and quiet --- be good to yourself! You are #1!

I'll talk with you soon!

Hugs!
Barb

Oh, can't leave without a....

GO EAGLES!!! :D

qsilver
01-18-2005, 06:24 PM
BarbPA, your focus is exactly where it should be! I'll be sending prayers your direction, and we'll just wait and hope to hear from you. :)

ageoldie
01-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Just a thought... :idea: Many many years ago when Ifirst started posting on 3fc the group I posted on was in the BuddyUp section, but we went way down the site to the section call Groups & Clubs, and then into the section called Misc. Clubs and started a bio thread there. Then when a new member joined someone would "bump" the thread up in the section and remind everyone now and then that it was there. It worked really well for a long time, then the group dwindled down to where there are only about 6 of us now and we've been posting so long we don't need bio's and very seldom do we get someone new to joing us. But you might look at the Clubs section and see what you think about that. It would be easier than trying to have someone special keep a word document. As I said, Just a thought...

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/Valentines/Barb_ThreeHearts.gif

PS Hi Chrily, this is a great group to become involved with.

chrily
01-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Hi Ageoldie...You're not running away from the RA & OA group are you? ;)

Anyhow..busy day here. We went and picked out the carpet for our family room and looked at different furniture. We're almost done with the tile work on the fireplace....just needs some grout. And painted the kitchen. My husband took the week off so we could get all this stuff done. I YI YI...

Okay...Now for an introduction. My name's Chris. I'm a stay at home mom of three girls. I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and depression/anxiety disorder. I'm 33 yrs. old...soon to be 34. Been married 6 yrs and live in the good old stay of Confusion...oh wait...I live in Montana.

Sorry this is a short post for me but I have to go get my daughter from her honor choir practice. TTFN and I'll check back in a while.

~chris

ageoldie
01-18-2005, 08:50 PM
No Chris, I'm not running away from anything, or any where. No telling where you're liable to find me posting!!! Where ever there's action, look for me!! :D

LuckyLadyBug
01-18-2005, 08:54 PM
jawsmom: You SHOULD feel guilty if you think 50 is cold.:lol:
OH, tape Desperate Housewives, once you watch it once you will make sure to keep taping and watching that tape. It is so bizarre and funny.

Congrats on your food - or should I say NOT eating the food. You are a good example for me. :)

BarbPA: My focus is not entirely on weighloss right now, but on keeping myself positive. I don't care that your focus is NOT weightloss - just "chat" with us anytime. Good Luck tomorrow.

Chris: Welcome, by the way - my kitchen needs painting too!!

Andria, I will volunteer to keep the bio list. I will post a "get to know you" post and then everyone can copy and fill it out - then I will copy that and keep it. :)

Yes, fibro is the pits!!!! But there are worse things out there so I try to keep positive.

Do you want to go Monday to Monday or would we prefer a different day since Monday weigh in's can be "bad"? :?: Of course I wouldn't even have to care about this if I can get consistant!!!! :mad:

I had an exhausting day today. I will be back with the "bio" post a little later.

southern gal
01-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Hello all!
WI day for me - and another 2 pounds bites the dust! Yeah!!! :cb: I'm really feeling good with this right now and want to keep it that way. This is getting into a crazy time of year for me: running the boys up and down the road for soccer, getting ready for state tests at school, etc., etc., etc. so I need to keep planning ahead and not letting myself fall into my normal traps. (Grabbing food on the run, eating way too late at night, eating to ease the stress, skipping the exercise...) Of course, I also have to take in consideration the pitfalls that challenge me on a daily basis: the Little Debbie distributor husband who actually has the nerve to bring the Little Debbies in the house and place them right in front of my face :devil: , the son who was dying for McDonalds today - and ate the cheeseburger in the seat beside me so that I could smell it all the way home...Oh, help me stay strong!!! :stars: I have a social event (dinner party at a friend's house) Saturday, so I have to save up extra calories this week for that!

Lucky - I like the idea of a challenge. I think that could really help keep me motivated and moving in the right direction. Two pounds in two weeks sounds good to me (and obtainable!). I think it is a great idea to post bios but I'm not computer savy enough to figure it out. You lead (and tell me where to go and what to do!) and I'll follow! :dizzy:

Christina - Welcome! :cheer: I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

Jawsmom - I laughed when I read your biscuit story! :lol: That is really typical of the kinds of things that happen to me but you handled it well. You took into consideration that the biscuits would count as breakfast and stayed on track the rest of the day instead of using it as an excuse to blow it. You are doing great with your weight loss so the small (very small) chicken biscuit is not going to do any damage. Life is made of challenges and I think the key is getting right back on track.

Andria - Your job must be very rewarding but the night hours must be stressful. It sounds like the good outweighs the bad though. Considering your knee recovery, I think you are doing great! You are doing what you can every day and that is what counts. Keep it up! :bravo:

BarbPA - I'm sending best wishes your way on your IVF. :goodvibes Stay positive and I hope everything goes well!

OK, my kids are coming in every 30 seconds wanting the computer to talk to their friends so I guess I better go. Good to hear from everyone and have a great day tomorrow!

Laura

LuckyLadyBug
01-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Here is a guide to follow to share your stats with all of us.

You can copy / paste the list into a new post and add the information you want to share with us.

Looking forward to getting to know you!!! :)

DATE -

USER NAME -

REAL NAME -

AGE -

BIRTHDATE -

WHERE YOU LIVE -

SIGNIFICANT OTHER -

KIDS -

PETS -

OCCUPATION -

WHAT PLAN ARE YOU FOLLOWING -

FAV. EXERCISE(S) -

FAV. NO-NO FOODS -

FAV.BOOK(S) -

FAV. MOVIE(S) -

FAV. SONG(S) -

FAV. QUOTE -

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE -

LuckyLadyBug
01-18-2005, 11:21 PM
DATE - January 18, 2005
USER NAME -LuckyLadyBug
REAL NAME -
AGE -53
BIRTHDATE -April 8th
WHERE YOU LIVE -Minnesota
SIGNIFICANT OTHER -Looking for him
KIDS -None
PETS -Dusty my arrogant cat
OCCUPATION -I work for a bonding company
WHAT PLAN ARE YOU FOLLOWING - ???? Varies
FAV. EXERCISE(S) - ??
FAV. NO-NO FOODS - Would take up too much space.
FAV.BOOK(S) - Discover the Power Within You
FAV. MOVIE(S) - Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
FAV. SONG(S) - Imagine
FAV. QUOTE - It’s only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on
earth – and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up – that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.

Elisabeth Kubler Ross

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE: - I really appreciate this thread and all of you.

chrily
01-19-2005, 12:10 AM
DATE -11-18-05

USER NAME -Chrily

REAL NAME -Christina (Chris for short)

AGE -33

BIRTHDATE -April 11

WHERE YOU LIVE -Billings, Montana

SIGNIFICANT OTHER -Kelly, husband of 6 yrs.

KIDS -Tiana, 11 yrs. Kayla, 5 yrs. Nicole, 2 yrs.

PETS -4 cats....George (aka Teddy Bundy), Kitty, Sara, and Junior

OCCUPATION -stay at home mom

WHAT PLAN ARE YOU FOLLOWING - WW

FAV. EXERCISE(S) -Walk away the Pounds tapes.

FAV. NO-NO FOODS -Cheesecake and French fries...and Pringles

FAV.BOOK(S) -Self-help books, Dean Koontz, and Mysteries

FAV. MOVIE(S) -Seven, Meet the Parents, Titanic

FAV. SONG(S) - Draw me Close (Contemp. Christian Song), God Bless the Broken Road (Rascal Flatts) Invisible (Clay Aiken)

FAV. QUOTE -

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE -I have rheumatoid arthrits and suffer from depression/ anxiety. I love to scrapbook (not so good at it though)/like to sew/love to read/love animals.

Okay there's the little bio for me...enjoy!

LuckyLadyBug
01-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Well, I am glad I offered to keep track of the bio's because I sure didn't write a very good one!!!! :( I will have to "update" it.

jawsmom & Chris: You did great on yours - I also scrap book, do WATP's, and have worked in accounting for too many years to admit to.

AND I see Chris and I are both Aries!!!!

Off to work!

Skittles
01-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Hi everyone,

I just noticed that I haven't been here since Saturday, no wonder I'm *itchy. :D Actually I just got the computer set up at the house. Everything is moved in except for a few items. I still cannot find our ergonomic keyboard, you would think that it would be with the rest of the computer stuff, but it is not. So I am using a regular keyboard and my hunny can't stand that.
Ok I don't have much time to post this morning as I have to shovel. I noticed that there are some new people, WELCOME! and I have a lot of replies to do and I will be back later to do it.

Since we have the thread, how do we go about starting a group where we can put all of our threads in one place, i.e. bios, pictures, etc. I will look into it if no one knows or if anyone is interested in that, it might be easier for us. Just a thought, Ok I have to go, it is actually warm outside, 30 degrees. Woo Hoo! I will be back later this afternoon though.

Skitt

fierum
01-19-2005, 10:19 AM
DATE - 1/19/2005

USER NAME - fierum

REAL NAME - Tony

AGE - 27

BIRTHDATE - 1/4/78

WHERE YOU LIVE - Lubbock, TX

SIGNIFICANT OTHER - Guess :)

KIDS - none

PETS - All I'm allowed is my little betta, but I'm getting a cat as soon as I switch campuses at the end of this year.

OCCUPATION - Medical student

WHAT PLAN ARE YOU FOLLOWING - My own path, exercise combined with a diet that focuses on low fat foremost, lower carbs, higher protein, with the primary emphasis on actual calories.

FAV. EXERCISE(S) - Really don't like exercising; I do it because I know I have to. That and Andria wants me to live forever, so I'm going to try even if it kills me! That being said, my most tolerable exercise are generalized weight machines and recumbent bike cardio.

FAV. NO-NO FOODS - Cheesecake, White Castle cheeseburgers.

FAV.BOOK(S) - Used to be a big fan of David Eddings, sadly I have no time to read for leisure anymore.

FAV. MOVIE(S) - Don Juan DeMarco, Love/Actually, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.

FAV. SONG(S) - "Everywhere" - Michelle Branch, "Favorite" - Liz Phair, "Wicked Game" - Chris Isaak.

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE - What else is there to share? Boy cooties, but I don't think that would be appreciated ;)

Oh yeah. Start weight: 278, Current weight: 211, Target weight - I have no clue, I'm just going to go until I finish losing this belly.

katrinabgood
01-19-2005, 11:07 AM
And feeling MUCH better! Wow, that was really gross; two days of diarrhea, fever, and vomiting (yes, TMI, but if it keeps me away from the computer for two days, you KNOW I'm ill!)...I will never again sit here and smugly declare, (as I recently did) "I never get sick!"

So, I'm glad that's over. Oh! Except for this...the first day I feel semi-human again...BAM! Time o' the month! Woo hoo! Life is just one big party around here lately! :cb: :hat:

The good thing about all this? Appetite = zero. So, that was a bonus. Although, I have no idea of how I may have benefitted from that since I still haven't replaced the battery in my scale yet. Today, definitely.

I have to catch up here. We have a new member I see...Welcome, Chris! Of course you can join us! I look forward to hearing more about life in Montana...I've always wanted to visit there!

BarbPa: Lots and lots of good vibes and baby wishes coming your way, kiddo! :bb: :bb: :bb: :bb: :bb: :bb: Stay serene and focused. We'll be here when you need us!

Andria...thanks for your concern! You know me so well! You are almost NEVER too sick to post I was nodding my head in agreement with your post about the value of night sleep vs. day sleep! Oh, how I hear you, sister o' the night! But there are advantages to being home during the day. My problem (well, one of them, anyway!) has been not being able to get myself into some sort of daily routine. Usually, my sleep needs, or lack thereof, dictate the day's events!

Lucky...Yes!! I am totally up for a challenge! Are we starting 1/24? I need this. BAD. Structure, focus...all that stuff! Amazing how quickly, after the first of the year, it seems to have fizzled away! I'm glad you're feeling better! I think of you whenever I see Desperate Housewives because I know you're watching too!

Skittles...So, you have to unpack AND shovel? I'm so sorry. Actually, I don't mind shoveling, but I HATE unpacking! And packing, for that matter! We're supposed to get some snow here today, my son is thrilled. We haven't really gotten much more than a dusting so far this year. Stay warm!

BarbG...Hey there! You're all over the place, aren't you, missy? How is your Perricone plan coming?

Laura...Little Debbies: oh, I'd have a real problem with that stuff in my house! Any restraint you show is awesome!! I don't even like McDonald's, but the smell can be intoxicating! Especially if you're hungry!! Hang in there, woman!

Jawsmom...I found myself getting the attitude that if nobody sees me eat it then it doesn't count. heh...how many times have I felt that?????? answer: daily That is a constant struggle for me, every day, home alone. I'll help you if you help me!

Anna...I'm dying to hear about the Pilates machine! I have a video and some bands to use with it, but haven't gotten up the courage to try. hmmm...maybe today now that I think of it. I have taken a Pilates class at the gym and liked it though. (Very challenging, though...whew) BTW, congrats on your downsizing!

Tony...What's up, doc?

Wow...that took much longer than I had planned, but I think I'm caught up. If I missed someone, it wasn't intentional.

Question for discussion:

What are you doing today, different from yesterday, that will get you to the weight that you desire?

I will eat a good variety of food, write down every morsel that goes into my mouth, count the points, and exercise for at least 30 minutes. Oh! and drink all my water. Yeah, I haven't done ANY of that lately!

Hey, it's a start...

I'm outta here for now...have a great day, all!

katrinabgood
01-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Tony...Since you know it all, you troublemaker, you...and I obviously don't:

What the heck is a betta?

chrily
01-19-2005, 11:37 AM
QOTD: I vow NOT to go anywhere near a fast-food restaurant today. I'm not going to snack on the junk around here either. This week is hard for me because my husband took the week off from work to get some very needed things done around here and it has my schedule all out of whack. I haven't even exercised....unless you count painting.

Anyhow, GOOD MORNING LADIES!!!! :D
Today is more painting. That is, if my hand can stand it. I have rheumatoid arthritis and my wrist is killing from yesterday. I have 3 out of the 5 fingers swollen and it hurts. I might have to break down and take one of those dreaded Bextra pills. SInce all the hype about Celebrex, Vioxx, and Bextra...I've been trying not to rely on them too much.

I'm going to try to keep up with all you guys. Seems like there's alot of members. YIKES! Okay...

~chris
btw-Katrina...I am really feeling for you this morning. You have all the rotten luck huh? :D

fierum
01-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Kat: Glad you're feeling better! And to answer your question, a betta is a Siamese fighting fish. Beautiful fish, long flowing fins, but incredibly antisocial *laugh*. Since they evolved growing in oxygen-depleted rice paddy water, they have a labyrinthine organ that serves as a primitive lung; they can actually extract oxygen from air, with relative efficiency. That's why you can keep them in really small cups and bowls.

Chris: Welcome to the club :)

BarbPA: Here's hoping 3rd time's the charm! Sending positive vibes out your way :)

And just to jump on the "dog of the house" discussion - back home, I have an old Dalmation, named Mino. She's sooo old and lazy now, if she got any more mellow, we'd probably call her dead *laugh*. She still stirs occasionally and gets excited when I come home to visit, but then it all fades after about 5 minutes. Ah well?

Oh, and she chases birds still. Except she's so out of shape she pukes afterwards. Oy, my dog :)

fierum
01-19-2005, 12:26 PM
I figured you girls would be interested in this. It seems folic acid is important in more than just preventing birth defects :)

http://health.dailynewscentral.net/content/view/000314/54/

In short, it says that folic acid greatly decreases the risk of hypertension, especially in young females. There's still a benefit as women age, so don't dismiss this as "just for the young'uns" :)

I haven't had a chance to read the original JAMA article, but because it was published in JAMA, it's reasonable to assume that it's fairly credible information :)

qsilver
01-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Bio Time!

DATE - 1/19/2004

USER NAME - qsilver

REAL NAME - Andria

AGE - 38

BIRTHDATE - 09/15/1966

WHERE YOU LIVE - Virgin, Utah

SIGNIFICANT OTHER - Tony :)

KIDS - 2

PETS - 1 dog (Jewel), 3 cats (Monster, Meow Yen, and Delilah), 2 fish and 1 turtle.

OCCUPATION - Night watch at a Youth Treatment Facility, assignment writer, home-based business, soon to be returning student, mom.

WHAT PLAN ARE YOU FOLLOWING - Decision Weight Loss

FAV. EXERCISE(S) - Curves and walking

FAV. NO-NO FOODS - Wow, ummm... cheesecake tops that list, but there are so many others!

FAV.BOOK(S) - Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, Beauty by Robin McKinley, and I'm really enjoying reading books by Nicholas Sparks lately. Also in love with The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Actually like that one enough to have gone to a ton of trouble to find everything in hardback. Tony even found two first editions for me!

FAV. MOVIE(S) - Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, Fried Green Tomatoes, It's A Wonderful Life, and the list goes on... :)

FAV. SONG(S) - The Promise by When In Rome, Whisper to a Scream by Icicle Works, about anything Annie Lennox or Gwen Stefani sing... again, the list goes on, but you do see a lot of 80's stuff in there.

FAV. QUOTE - It all comes out in the wash.

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE - My biggest fear right now is that I will falter in my diet and gain back everything. Right now I am on the edge of finally making it below a weight I haven't seen in 14 years.

lucky
01-19-2005, 02:51 PM
To answer Kat's question for discussion, "What are you doing today, different from yesterday, to help you reach the weight you desire?"

I've gotten to a place in my plan now that I am confident I can stick with it - I'm not always hungry or thinking about food, etc. However, I find that old habits die hard. For instance, for no other reason than habit, I find myself looking at my plate during a meal and thinking, "it's almost gone, is this going to be enough, am I going to be full?" And, like I said, I've been doing this long enough that I know it is going to be enough and I am going to be full. But, that's what I would think about when I overate and I still catch myself doing it. So, starting today I am making sure that I pay attention and enjoy what I am eating rather than worrying about what I am NOT going to eat.

lucky
01-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I found where Greg had hidden my scale. It was in the back seat of his car. The problem? By the time I'd gotten back inside he'd realized I found it and hid his keys. Darn it! So, he came home for lunch today and threw his keys on the counter. While he was distracted with the kids I snuck the keys outside only to find that he'd moved the scale. That rascal just stays one step ahead of me. When I asked him to hide it I mentioned that I didn't want to weigh for two weeks and he is holding me to it. He says that he can tell I've lost a lot and that I should be able to feel it and be happy with that. Yeah, this coming from a guy whose never been overweight a day of his life. He doesn't get it - I need NUMBERS baby! Here's what I don't get. I've been asking him to pressure wash our deck since last spring and - NOTHING. But ask him to hide my scale and drive me crazy, THAT he can do. This poor man has no sense of priority I tell you.

Hope everyone is having a successful day!

chrily
01-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Jaws...That's what I should do. I get soo hooked on the number on the scale, that's all I seem to concentrate on. Wonder if my dh would do it? Okay...my breaks over. I gotta get lunch in my little kiddos. Probably should put some in me too.

Check back later.

~chris

BarbPA
01-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Hi Gang!
I hope you are all well this evening. Welcome to the newcomers to the group! :D

So, who's watching American Idol this season? Oh my, last night was rather entertaining --- or was it? I know Tony is not watching it with no TV. Not sure how you do it! :p I'm also looking forward to the Apprentice tomorrow night and of course Survivor - not sure when it starts.

Well, I went in for an ultrasound and bloodwork today and go the offical go ahead to start taking my injections tonight. I just had such a laugh and had to share.....I have to take all my shots IM (butt) so DH has to give them to me. My nurse said she draw bullseyes for my DH so he knows he's in the right spot. Well, I forgot about them all day and just went to the mirror to take a peek and discovered I have green smiley faces on my butt! :D I got such a chuckle out of that. It's the little "bedside manner" touches that mean! Right Tony? ;)

I also had an acupuncture session today which was very relaxing. Now it's time for dinner and some game playing. I hope you all have a wonderful evening.

Talk to you soon!
;) Barb

LuckyLadyBug
01-19-2005, 09:02 PM
jawsmom:Here's what I don't get. I've been asking him to pressure wash our deck since last spring and - NOTHING. But ask him to hide my scale and drive me crazy, THAT he can do. This poor man has no sense of priority I tell you. Sounds like a perfect husband to me!!!! :lol:

So do we wait to start our challange until you can weigh in - hmmmm maybe you should tell that crazy hubby of yours that you NEED the scale so you can have a starting weight for the challange!! :s:

First time I have been home on a Wed night so I am going to check out "Lost".

Later :coffee:

southern gal
01-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Hi everyone!
Hope you had a good day today. Mine has been busy as usual - but it does keep me out of the kitchen! Walked (in the cold at 6:00 a.m.), rushed the kids off to school, rushed to work, rushed to pick up oldest son (and two fellow soccer players) from practice after school, gulped down dinner and headed off to choir practice, started working on school work (I had a newsletter to write) as soon as I got in, and finally got a chance to check in with all of you! :dizzy:

OK, here is my bio:

Date - January 19, 2005

User name - Southern Gal

Real name - Laura

Age - 46

Birthdate - February 26

Where you live - Georgia

Significant other - husband Dennis (we've been married 27 years!)

Kids - two boys, Rhys 15 and Drew 13

Pets - Hershey, springer spaniel and current ruler of the house, 2 classroom pet guinea pigs, Amy and Abby

Occupation - 1st grade teacher

What plan are you following - Counting calories for the most part, just trying to eat healthier

Favorite exercise - walking

Favorite no-no foods - chocolate, chocolate, and chocolate (did I mention chocolate?)

Favorite book(s) - Romance, adventure, whatever. I love to read anything by Nora Roberts, Janet Evonovich's bounty hunter series, Clive Cussler's Dirk novels. I could run out of room on this part...

Favorite movie(s) - Sweet Home Alabama, Romancing the Stone, Second Hand Lions...

Favorite song(s) - Long Black Train, Impossible, most country music...

Favorite quote - "Housework is like stringing beads on a string without a knot..." story of my life!

Anything else you would like to share - Just that I'm very happy to be part of this group! You guys are a great inspiration to me!

DH is asking when I'm going to finish on this computer so guess I better go! Check in with you tomorrow!

Laura :wave:

LuckyLadyBug
01-20-2005, 08:38 AM
Laura: I :love: Nora Roberts - I am trying to be patient waiting for her next book!!!

Skittles
01-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Hello All,

Well remember how I said I would be back yesterday? Well my inlaws came over last night so I didn't have time to post or log on for that matter. So here are responses, if I miss anyone I am truly sorry.

Lucky, Hey it's warming up, but we are suppose to have snow every day. How did you like Lost. Last night was a great episode. So much was revealed. I have so many theories. We talk about it almost everyday at work. It is an awesome show. I wish I had taped it from the very beginning. But I tell you what I will be purchasing this when it is out on dvd. I am glad you are doing better. I say bring on the challenge. I will be weighing in when I can find my scale. :) It is in a box I know that much. Problem is I have 100 boxes all over my house. :lol:

Kat, I am so glad you are feeling better. I really hate when I get the ickies like that, I just want to live in the bathroom. And shower every five minutes. :lol: Today, I am drinking more water than I have been. That is what I am doing different.

Tony, I got a betta too. His name is Fishy 2. I had the first Fishy for about a year, and he died.:( Now I have Fishy 2 and I've had him about 6 months. I just love them, they are so beautiful. I saw one at the pet store the other day, it was $13. Some sort of rare breed, called half moon or something like that. I forgot. I love fish, we no longer have an aquarium. Which is kind of sad but I just love them.

BarbG, You are so inspiring, always posting, always having the wonderful pictures, and being positive. I just love you for that. I am glad that you get around, and so many people get to be blessed by your presence. :)

BarbPA, I am praying for you and I know that if it is meant to be at this time you will have the little one you so desire. I love the smiley faces on the butt, too bad you didn't have those earlier and could have gotten to the Eagles game to moon the Vikings. :lol: Blessings and Angels coming your way as always.:)

Laura, I love your sons name. I think that is a beautiful name. And I thank you for being a teacher. That is a tuff job. :)

Jawsmom, well, what can we say, men enjoy making their wives cringe, it is a simple pleasure in their life. :lol: I know my husband loves to do it everyday. :lol: 50 degrees, that is sweater weather. Oh, to see 50 again, heck I would settle for 40 right now. ;)

Chris, Montana huh, I bet it is beautiful out there. That is one of the places on my list of need to visit. :)

If I missed anyone I am sorry. Anyway, here is my quick bio befor I head off to work.

DATE - 1-20-05

USER NAME - Skittles

REAL NAME - Dawn

AGE - 36

BIRTHDATE - June 16

WHERE YOU LIVE - Milwaukee

SIGNIFICANT OTHER - Scott

KIDS -nope, can't have them

PETS -2 cats, Sydacious Vicious and Nummy Muffin Colcolbutter, 2 rats, Yassie and My Precious, and my betta, Fishy 2

OCCUPATION - Title Company

WHAT PLAN ARE YOU FOLLOWING - Ummm, I should be following a plan? That is what I am doing wrong.;) I don't really have a plan yet, I should work on that. :lol:

FAV. EXERCISE(S) - You can have one of those? Ok, I like to swim, walk when my foot doesn't hurt, and I love to dance. Ok, it is not really dancing, just bouncing around to the music in a somewhat rhythmic beat. Yea right, it's just bouncing around with music playing in the background.:lol:

FAV. NO-NO FOODS - chocolate, coke, pizza, chocolate, fried crab ragoons, onion rings, chocolate.

FAV.BOOK(S) - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, she is my favorite author, then anything classical, I like Wilde, Woolf, James, Austen, I also love poetry, Dickenson, Plath, But my favorite is Charlotte Bronte, she is my kindred spirit.

FAV. MOVIE(S) - LOTR Trilogy, A Christmas Story, Hedwig & the Angry Inch, Harry Potter, Anything with Colin Firth or Bruce Campbell, I love British television and film. Love Actually was a great film.

FAV. SONG(S) - Chains by Duran Duran, What's Gonna Happen Tomorrow Duran Duran, Lonely in your Nightmare, Duran Duran, Do you see a pattern here? :lol: I listen to all kinds of music. I adore Bette Midler, Marilyn Manson, Classical, I have Andy Griffith singing gospel music, I am a versitle music lover.

FAV. QUOTE - "Look into thought and tell me what dost thou see. Dive be not fearful how dark the waves flow. Sink into the surge and bring pearls up to me. Deeper, aye deeper, the fairest lie low." Charlotte Bronte
"You are a light in a lonely dark desert that enlightens many." Tenet of Novus Spiritus

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE - I suffer from depression and anxiety, I am gemini, and I'm just a nut. I am not a trusting person, then sometimes I am a trusting person, Like I said I am Gemini. I am new to the Wisconsin area so I don't have many friends up here. So I spend a lot of my time doing the solitary things that I love, reading, painting, writing, and sleeping. :lol:

lucky
01-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Oh, Skittles. Are you a Duranie? What memories your favorite songs brought back. I notice we are the same age so I bet you did this too - my walls in early high school were PLASTERED with Duran Duran stuff. It drove my mom crazy! I guess I'll be annoyed too when my kids start sticking stuff to the walls with electrical tape. LOL

katrinabgood
01-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Just a quick 'hi' for now...lots to do, little time, as usual. So many responses that I want to make, I hope I don't forget what I want to say!

For those of you suffering those winter chills...(okay! Even if 50 degrees is chilly to you!) I'll leave you with this quote, it made me smile...

Over the winter glaciers,
I see the summer glow,
And through the wild-piled snowdrift,
The warm rosebuds below.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

:sball2: :sman: :sball:

LuckyLadyBug
01-20-2005, 02:46 PM
STOP Do Not Post Here. Join us at "Sanctuary-- New Thread! Anyone Welcome #3"