Old 01-13-2005, 08:02 AM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Thursday Chat 1/13

Well, it's almost the weekend. And they're predicting below zero (-30 or around there) for lows. Don't remember what the high is supposed to be but not over zero that much I know. Didn't exercise yesterday and my back if feeling better. So I'm hoping to jump back into it today. Maybe just do WATP instead of both of them. The scale is still refusing to move. So not sure what's up w/that. I'll deal with that in a month if it hasn't moved. lol.
Have a great day!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #2  

Morning Brenda: Glad your back is better today.

Get this! I made peanut butter cookies last night! What a dope! I promised them to a friend at work. Course I had a couple and probably will today too. I had all kinds of plans to be good today but I got a call last night from the doctors office that just ran my colonoscopy and now they want to do more tests What is up with that? And to beat all the office is closed today so I can't call and find out why. I am not normally a panicy person but this one threw me for a loop.

Also, I have a question about yogurt...I know we have gone over this before but I can't seem to remember what was decided....is it allowed or not? I love my Yoplait Whips.....it's my favorite treat....and it is good for you too.
Need to know...what are the facts on yogurt. I know the numbers do not look good but I thought there was some information about that it is a good carb??????

Help please.
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:08 AM   #3  

Good Morning!!!!

Brenda: Glad that your back is feeling better! Try and stay warm. I can't imagine having temperatures that are below zero.

Jane: Hope that all of your tests will come back OK. It's bad that they would tell you that the day they are going to be closed. I am sure that will worry you, but try and stay positive. I will be thinking of you! I'm no help on the yogurt question....Sorry!

Well, off to the dr this morning for another prenatal appointment. They told me last week they doubted they would see me this week but they were wrong! They are doing a non stress test on the baby today. She told me last week that if I hadn't had her by today that we would discuss when to induce. I doubt they will do it this week, but you never know. Maybe I'll go in and they will tell me I am in labor I know wishful thinking! My appt isn't til 11:20 and then I have some errands to run in town, so it will probably be late afternoon when I get home. I will post then to let you all know what's going on! Hope everyone has a great day and I will check in later!

Lisa
Mrs H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 208/199/128

Brenda - glad your back is better. sorry about the temps, but we have the same low temp predictions for the weekend (NW Ohio) after a record high yesterday of 65! You will not regret getting back to the WATP today though. Don't you just love that sense of accomplishement when you are done?

Jane - I'm the panicky type also. It would just go insane trying to get more info! I know about the call of the cookies too!

The return to work for me has been great. I have lots to do to keep me busy, which is a nice change of pace! Things are great everywhere. So, why do I keep eating poorly? I tell you...I make it through about 1 1/2 days on induction and then I totally wipe out with a roll or cookies or something. It's making my crazy. How did I ever initially do this? What happened to that motivation? Is it because of all the working out I'm doing? I just can't figure out why I can't make it through more than 2 days without having a major carb binge!!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:14 AM   #5  

Oh Lori I am the same way lately.....I can't seem to get that groove back. I know I will eventually but I just don't want it to get too out of hand. I think you will get it back too.....we have to!

Lisa: NO BABY! Good luck today....let us know what they say.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:27 AM   #6  

ok, here is an article I found...see what you think

The problem with the stated carbohydrate content on the packages of fermented food products arises because the government makes manufacturers count the carbohydrates of food "by difference." That means they measure everything else including water and ash and fats and proteins. Then "by difference," they assume everything else is carbohydrate. This works quite well for most foods including milk. However, to make yogurt, buttermilk and kefir, the milk is inoculated with the lactic acid bacteria. These bacteria use up almost all the milk sugar called "lactose" and convert it into lactic acid. It is this lactic acid which curds the milk and gives the taste to the product. Since these bacteria have "eaten" most of the milk sugar by the time you buy it (or make it yourself.) At the time you eat it, how can there be much carbohydrate left? It is the lactic acid which is counted as carbohydrate. Therefore, you can eat up to a half cup of plain yogurt, buttermilk, or kefir and only count 2 grams of carbohydrates (Dr. Goldberg has measured this in his own laboratory.) One cup will contain about 4 grams of carbohydrates. Daily consumption colonizes the intestine with these bacteria to handle small amounts of lactose in yogurt (or even sugar-free ice cream later.)

When you go to buy ready-made kefir and yogurt, look for plain, unsweetened or artificially sweetened varieties. [Note: Blue Bunny now makes a Splenda-sweetened version of their yogurts that are delicious! See our review of them 3/6/2001.] Don't be afraid of plain, unsweetened varieties. This is how kefir and yogurt have traditionally been used. You may find that "plain" tastes best of all. Or, you can add your own no-calorie sweeteners and flavorings (or berries or nuts and seeds). It may be better if the product is "bovine growth hormone free" although this is still controversial.

Does it matter if it's "nonfat", "low fat" or "original, normal fat"? No. This will affect the texture a bit, but on this diet, you can eat any fat content product. Your preference rules here. We prefer the "mouth feel" of the whole milk varieties. Try them all and decide for yourself. You should also get a little gutsy now and try cheeses made from kefir and yogurt. These products are available ready made or you can make them yourself. Aim for at least 8 ounces of kefir, yogurt, or buttermilk daily.

Yogurt is a great health food and is enjoyed by just about everyone. The cultures found in yogurt such as Acidophilus are beneficial to the digestive system. For example, Acidophilus, which is primarily found in the small intestine, produces Lactase which is the enzyme that digests milk sugars. Bifidobacterium is another beneficial bacteria found primarily in the large intestine and these bacteria produce B-vitamins such as B1, B6 and B12 as well as folic acid and some amino acids. Eating yogurt will help maintain healthy levels of beneficial bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:21 AM   #7  
The Princess O' Pets

Good Morning ladies!!

Jane- I love the LC yogurt and it is made w/ splenda, have you tried that??

B- Glad to hear you are feeling better, day 3 today!!

Lisa- I am thinking of you, I know how you feel it was the same for me. A little tip, have them try the meso tablets to ripen your cervix so that you can go into labor, it is a lttle tablet they put in there to ripen the cervix. Starting out straight with Pitocin is VERY intense and since you can't have an epidural until 4-5 centimeters, that can be heck!!! Ask you doctor about it. I know all this from personal experience.....YOWZAH!!!

Lori and Jane just keep plugging along the best you can and then all the sudden your groove will come back, those low times with little cheats are pretty normal.

I am doing great, today is day 3 of induction and I am feeling good. Going back to the gym today.

LOve Tg
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:27 AM   #8  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

Its suppose to get up to 64 here today!!! Can you believe it...Jan 13th!! And the best part is...........are you ready????????? The SUN is SHINING!!! Dh wanted to take me to the movies this afternoon, but I think I'll drag him to the park instead!!

Im off to get dressed, and head off to starbucks for my coffee...I'll check in tonight and see how everyones day went.

Robin
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:40 AM   #9  
thin within

hello, ladies. i don't think i have posted regularly in nearly a year. so, probably most of you won't even remember me. i've been offplan since may when i went to supersized's to paint the interior of her house. we only have 5 months left in turkey, but don't yet know where we will be going next. my dd is halfway through her kindergarten year and loving it. a few months ago she started reading at home. last month i started substitute teaching and really enjoy it. this is the first time i've worked outside the home in almost 7 years. i started low-carbing again on the 3rd. supersized and i always start the day after our birthday. i slipped today though. so, i'll be making a fresh start tomorrow. i don't even know who is still posting here from a year ago. jane, try not to stress too much. i say that like i'm not a big worrier myself. congrats, mrs. h. sleep while you can before delivery. also, a few days after delivery, your breasts will engorge with milk. putting big, clean, cool cabbage leaves on them for 15 minutes twice a day will help relieve the engorgement. don't use them more often than this or it can reduce your milk too much. lots of women use the cabbage leaves to help their milk dry up more painlessly while weaning. this is all assuming that you are planning to nurse. if not, then just use the cabbage as much as you want. i hope this is not tmi, but if you have the baby in the next day or so, you probably won't be online for awhile. lori, jane, and brenda--looks like are still doing very well with atkins. i look forward to reading backwards to catch up on how y'all are doing. i'd better get off and get supper going. have a great day!
fullfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:44 AM   #10  

fullfig: SO GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN! Of course we remember you! There are a few new people around here but still some of us old folks. Do you think you will be coming back to the states? How is supersized?

Robin: We have warmer weather here today too but it is so foggy! You can barely see.

TG: I have tried the low carb yogurt and do like it but not like I like the REAL stuff
Old 01-13-2005, 11:42 AM   #11  
The Princess O' Pets

Fullfig- Great to hear from you!!! We missed you guys!
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #12  

Ate really well last night, it really helps when I prepare a lot of meat at once and use it creatively later. I oven fried chicken over the weekend and have been having it warmed up, over salad and last night with a cup of lowcarb tomato sauce. Hit the spot.

No exercise yet, my head is pounding. Now DH is sick. I should put a sign on the front door.

JANE - Not sure about the Yoplait Whips, but I use the Hood LC yogurts once in a while, at something like 3 - 6 NCs, great for grab and go, and they have 12 grams of protein as well as the calcium. I guess it really comes down to how fast you want to lose. Love the article on the yogurt, I guess I was shying away for no good reason.

LISA - At my last nonstress test, I drank so much gingerale, I got gas, or thought it was gas, it was labor, I actually left the hospital and was in labor. Had to fight traffic to go back. It was fine in the end, but the gingerale was too much I guess.

FULLFIG - One thing about LCing is that you can just be on it, you don't have to restart to be making really good choices. One little slip is better than what you may have been doing before. Hadn't heard the cabbage leave idea. DD weaned after a year of nursing, just enough time for the both of us.

With this head congestion, don't feel like eating too much, though I should be counting the carbs in the throat lozenges.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #13  
Dawn aka Sims addict

Unhappy Been Awhile I know

I am back. I fell off the wagon a while ago & have been of course stuffing myself with anything in reach that I wanted. Well I gained the lost weight back plus 14 pounds. I have felt awful & knew the best place for support was right here.

I'm back & plan on restarting Atkins Monday.

I have missed you guys.
abnrmlisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #14  
thin within

jane and theo's girl -- thanks for the welcome back

liza -- thanks for the reminder. my dd weaned on her own at 38 months. i wouldn't trade that time we had together for anything in the world. it is hard to believe how fast she has grown. she is truly a blessing.
fullfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:35 PM   #15  

Hi Ladies! No time for personals as I am in a tizzy right now Tomorrow is going to be the day! She said that I may not make it through the night tonight so we'll see. I have to be at the hospital at 6am tomorrow morning. They are not going to do pitocin. They are just breaking my waters right now and see how that goes. She seems to think with me already dialated to 3cm that with breaking my waters that it will make me go into active labor quick! I sure hope so! They decided not to do the non stress test today. Since the heartbeat was strong and the baby was moving around so much and the fact that they are breaking my water tomorrow morning she didn't see any need in doing it. That was fine with me. I have enough trouble laying down for her to listen to the heartbeat. Didn't want to have to lay there an hour for that test. Well, I'll try to check back tonight, but have a lot to do! Getting nervous now DH is also! If I dont' make it back in tonight, I'll check in as soon as possible! Thanks for all the support and well wishes and advice ladies! You definately all are the best!
Mrs H is offline   Reply With Quote