South Beach Diet - Thursday Beach Chat - January 13

View Full Version : Thursday Beach Chat - January 13

Ruthxxx
01-13-2005, 07:25 AM
Starting us up before I do the Doggage Duties.

We seem to be coated in ice out there! Rain was predicted today but it doesn't seem to be arriving so we will have to deal with a skating rink world. The temp is predicted to go to 59F today - a heat wave - so some of it may melt. I'll be wearing my YAKtracks to keep from landing on my butt out there! I need to salt the back deck so the Girls can get up and down the steps - pet safe salt, of course.

Harry's physio chick and Jane are supposed to come this morning but the ice may keep them home. Somehow I think I'll be spending another day indoors feeding the woodstove with Kevin's wood. :(

Good news from the vet yesterday! Hershey's blood is now "excellent" so we booked her operation for next Wednesday. It'll be good to get that over with and then work on getting her back in shape completely. Her fur coat is badly in need of repair!

Woofing is starting so I'll go tackle the monsters and let them adore me for a while! :lol:

What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. Make it a good one!

Mamacita
01-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Good morning, Chicks~~ :coffee:

Am I really starting the thread this morning? Ruth, where are you???

Got up a wee bit earlier than usual...amazing what a difference 15 minutes can make.

Pretty uneventful day yesterday. The only "thing" that happened was some snotty witch that came in and was totally rude to me. Can't think of too many things more idiotic than being a *itch to someone about to stick a sharp pointed object into your vein, other than maybe jumping in front of a 2000 pound vehicle travelling 45 mph. :shrug: :dizzy:

Gotta go make lunch. I'll try and pop back in and see if anyone else is awake.

If I don't catch you, have a wonderful day on the Beach!

Mamacita

chipper15173
01-13-2005, 07:31 AM
Just passing through on my way to get breakfast for the GB's. Plus do garbage collection to take to the curb.
Will cruise by later.
Ruth.. careful on that ice. My sister lives in Big River, Sask.

Ruthxxx
01-13-2005, 07:39 AM
Morning, Mamacita and Chipper.

Mamacita, she was taking her life in her hands. I'd have used a knitting needle on her!

Chipper, Big River is pretty far from here. I wonder what kind of weather your sister is having.

Gotta go - the woofing has changed to whining! :shrug:

cottagebythesea
01-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Good Morning! I couldn't get in yesterday, DSL lines were down in the area, so they claim, how can that happen? I thought it was me having problems again, so I'm relieved to find out it wasn't! It's supposed to get up to 66 F today, but it's so foggy out that you can't see 5 feet in front of you. It was like that all day yesterday, too. The Farmer's Almanac says we're supposed to get a lot of snow around the 22 - 23rd of Jan. so will be interesting to see what happens. Also, they're predicting as much as 2 feet of snow between the 8th - 11th of Feb.!! We'll see.
Here's the recipe I made up for the pizza I made on Tuesday, no official recipe for it, I just made it up as I went along. I mixed some garlic and onion powder with ground turkey breast and patted it into the bottom and up the sides of a pie pan and baked it at 350 for 25 min. Then I mixed about a cup of ricotta with some tomato sauce, pesto, garlic, diced red and green peppers and black olives and mushrooms and filled the shell, and topped it with shredded mozzarella and parmesan and baked it again for 1/2 hour or so. It was absolutely delicious. So there you go. If you make it I hope you enjoy it. Well I'm going to make some coffee before I go to Curves, so I'll catch up with you Chicklets later!

Nalaminu
01-13-2005, 07:43 AM
Mornin Chicks!

I am off early for another busy day of playing catch-up! I hope everyone has a wonderful day at the beach!!

:)

Nally

Mamacita
01-13-2005, 07:56 AM
Good morning, Ruth, Chipper, Nala and Cottage and all you chicks to come~~

Ruth, If I'd had a knitting needle, I'd have used one...a bamboo one! :lol:

Cottage, the pizza recipe sounds good, I may try it one of these days.

Okay, gotta fly~~

HAGD~~

Mamacita

anchor weight
01-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Morning all!

It's my late day at work so I'm checking in early. I have to take DS to school and then I'm going to work out this am. I want to be in onederland next time I weigh in! I haven't worked out since last Friday so it's about time. :lol:

Have an OP day!

little chick
01-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Morning chicks.... back and around today. Yesterday was one of those days spent the morning finishings off making my music cds for dance, then getting ready for the funeral, after the service we went to my Uncles place and spent 3 hours with family, we took lots of pictures. I took a nice one of my mom with her brother and sister. It was a pleasant time even though it was for a sad occasion. And I stayed OP. :D Other than my water.

Ruth- be careful with the ice. We got the snow but not too much of the freezing rain they called for. Everyone figured there would be no school today.

Mama- Got to love those nasty people. When I have to do blood work I am always super sweet as I hate needles and figure if I am not nice they would you a bamboo needle. :lol: Hope your patients are nicer today.

Chipper- good morning hope you have a great day.

cottagebythesea- I have made that pizza before as well. I find it hits the spot when you want pizza. I made it last week when the rest of the family had the real thing and I didn't feel like I was missing out.

Nalaminu- hope you have a great day.

anchor weight- onederland her you come.

A big hello to the rest of you chicks to come.

Bamiegurl
01-13-2005, 08:23 AM
Wow it's busy in here this morning! All y'all early chicks. I'm just rolling out of bed and y'all are headin out the door. Time Zones! Although I have been awake since 3 this morning burning up like I have every morning for the past 2 weeks! Summin's gotta give pretty soon cause I've bout had it with this. Well I have to run. It seems the kids are dragin this morning. Have a good day all!

HistoryChick
01-13-2005, 09:59 AM
just a quick hello ladies...i have to run to work....ugh...but i'll be back later this evening....everyone have a great day on the beach!!

amb_lyn
01-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Good Morning Ladies~

Wow, alot of people up & about this morning. No school for the kiddo today but still had to get up early. Baby decided he didn't want to sleep in today. Oh well, I had plenty of time to make dh's lunch. He's decided to count calories instead of doing SB. He didn't last long last time he tried the SB. Nothing better than making 4 different things for dinner sometimes. Anyhoo...

Not much planned today. Sleep sounds good this morning. I am going to take a nap, I was up late last night watching a movie.

Ruth~ Be careful on that ice. We've had ice for 2 weeks now & quite frankly, i'm sick of it!

Mama~ Don't ya just love it when you're trying to take care of someone and they are rude to you?! Do they not get it?? I'm a nurse, I understand. HAHA

Cottage~That pizza sounds great! I can't wait to try it..when I"m in P2 of course.

Little Chick~ I'm glad you had a good day despite the sad occassion. My thoughts & prayers are still with you & your family.

To the rest of the ladies that have been here already & to those yet to come in...

*~*HAVE A FANTASTIC OP DAY!! *~*

ellis
01-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Good morning, darlings! :wave:

Wow! It's really slippery out there, Ruth! Don't even think about going out! (without a padded suit. And I DON'T mean fat!)
We're right out of toilet paper (using paper napkins now), and I've got to brave the streets sometime day.

Mamacita, your restraint is amazing. I would have jabbed that rude chick so hard... :mad:

Chipper, I'd like to know what kind of weather your sister is experiencing now, too! Why are we Canadians so fixated on the weather? :lol3:

Cottage, the "pizza" sound amazing! Thanks for the recipe!

Nally, how is your eye, hon? Better, I hope!

Anchor, have a good workout!!

Little Chick, I'm glad the service went well. :grouphug: Sometimes there can be a lot of good reminiscing at funerals.

Bamie, you're still sick! :( Take good care of yourself, sweetie. :grouphug:

Jess, hi! :wave:

Amber, enjoy your nap. :)

I'm going to try doing a bit of a "cleanse" today. I've been drinking too much diet pop, and other Frankenfoods, and I feel icky. :(
However, I am NOT giving up my coffee! :D
And then maybe I'll hop on the treadmill...

Hope everyone has a wonderful day! :wave:

Barb0522
01-13-2005, 10:23 AM
Morning, gals! I was not happy yesterday. I got stuck at work almost two hours later than usual and didn't get to work out. I'm hoping I can cut out early today but I doubt it. Laurie, you were talking about how nice my job was to give me my birthday off but I did end up getting paged while I was cooking dinner that night and ended up working a half hour. Oh, well, busy day today so I can't post to everyone.

Bamie - When you are waking up burning up, have you taken your temperature? I worry when I hear about this.

RNMOM
01-13-2005, 10:40 AM
At work today, ready for anything that comes my way (food that is) I'm stocked up on cucumbers, V8, good things ya know.

Cold and snowy! Brr.

Well, you all have a great day. Off to get some blood.

January
01-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Good Morning All!
Everyone is having such a busy morning! :coffee:
And it looks like the weather is weird & wild everywhere!
Here in Mass it is sooooo foggy you can't see the car in front of you & the mist from the fog is freezing into black ice! First time that school's been delayed on account of fog! Then later today, it's supposed to hit 60 and then back to 20 tomorrow! Weird & wild, I tell ya!
I'm on day 11 of phase 1 and am disappointed in my 4.5 pound loss...somehow I remember dropping faster last time on phase 1...
I'm pushing the water as much as I can..may it's not enough. I am staying OP completely, too.
Altho..it IS that TOM for me...could I be retaining water?
Any thoughts?
Have a safe, wonderful, OP day everyone.
Jan ;)

Abadoozy
01-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Hmmm, heat wave here, too - high supposed to be 25 degrees F (-3 Celcius)! We're hunkering down since tomorrow and the next few days the high is going to be below 0 Farenheit (which is, um, -17ish Celcius. Sheesh I wish CA and the USA could get on the same scale!)

Had to salt the heck out of the front steps yesterday as I slipped while carrying the little pug out to go potty... I dropped him :o and was so worried about him that I honestly don't remember what happened to ME - I think I fell on my butt! Both of us are OK, though, and the steps now have enough salt that they qualify as pretzels I think.

Quiet day today - if I'm lucky, I won't have to leave the house. Yay! I'd make such a good agoraphobic, I do loves my house.

ellis
01-13-2005, 11:10 AM
RNMom, you sound like a freakin' vampire. :rofl:

Jan, I'm sure you're retaining water because of TOM. A lot of people do. :yes:

thobbs
01-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Regarding my post from yesterday, I did phase 1 in November but got a little off track between Christmas and New Year so I was thinking of doing it again. I have been pretty successful doing phase 1.5 this week though. I will weigh on Saturday and see what the results are before I decide to go back to phase 1. :dizzy:

Ruthxxx
01-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Quick wave. The driving is fine but the walking is the pits. I am going to go to town, however.

Ellis, I have been out and it's really icy BUT my YAKTRAX wprk just so well! You need a pair. Here's the URL.
http://www.addedtouchstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6391&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=2&back=yes

I chopped ice off the back deck and shovelled the bits over the side. It's so nice out there I was considering having a coffee outdoors!

Play nicely!

beachgal
01-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Thought I'd jump in while there were only 12 posts, but it shot up to at least 19 while I was pulling up the page! ;)

Ruth, I hope you do stay inside. Ice is terrible! So glad Kevin stocked you up with wood yesterday! Great news about Hershey. What operation does she need?

Mama, that's terrible! I concur about the bamboo. :devil: Are you still shook up from the other night? :grouphug:

Cottage, that pizza sounds great! Why don't you cut and paste the recipe in the Phase 1 Entree section...I know others would enjoy it. I don't see anything that would make it a problem for Phase 1. (am I missing something, Ruth?)

Nally, did you get back to work yesterday? Do you work in a library at a school? When I was subbing, working in the library was one of my favorite jobs! :D

Anchor, I can't wait to hear about ONEderland! :hat:

LC, I'm so sorry about your aunt :grouphug: but glad that the services were full of good memories. Those can really help.

Bamie, so sorry you are still sick! What did the doctor say yesterday? Did I notice that you are halfway to goal? :chin:

History, it's so great to see you around lately!

Amb_lyn, so sorry about the four meals. What a mess! I hope you can find a way to make one main meal and split it somehow...like tomato sauce...on noodles for DH, on Spaghetti Squash for you? :)

Ellis: :lol: on the napkins...those are kind of rough. My family always used Kleenex when we ran out. ;) Good luck on the cleanse and congrats on using the treadmill!

Barb, how dare they interrupt your birthday dinner! :mad: Ooh, just let me give them a piece of my mind! I can't wait to see what happens when the economy finally swings the other way...employees will be leaving some companies like flocks of geese heading south. Mass evacuations. You just can't treat people that way!

Have a great day, RN. You make me think you have vampish tendencies when you say you are off to get blood. ;)

Jan, I've heard that most people don't lose nearly as much on the second time of Phase 1. I lost about a third of what I had lost the first time.

Aba: Loved this: "the steps now have enough salt that they qualify as pretzels" :lol3:

Me:
Oy, the scale was almost up to 224 today. :tied: I'm not sure what the heck is going on, but it is TOM, so hopefully things will work out. I went off my pills in November, so maybe TOM is having a bigger effect on my weight now. Anyone have any sage advice about that? :?:

Otherwise, we had minestrone soup last night...pretty bland recipe, unfortunately. I'm having leftover turnips n' greens with that sherry vinegar chicken for lunch. Yum! We're having pizza on Wegman's new WW pizza dough. I'm so excited! I hate that I can only have one slice, though. I'll have to have a salad and a bunch of veggies with it to fill up, I think.

Have to get started on homework tonight. I didn't do any at all last night!

Have a great day, chickies!

Abadoozy
01-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Oy, the scale was almost up to 224 today. :tied: I'm not sure what the heck is going on, but it is TOM, so hopefully things will work out. I went off my pills in November, so maybe TOM is having a bigger effect on my weight now. Anyone have any sage advice about that? :?:

Well, I was up about a pound this morning and didn't think anything of it (I tend to weigh myself every morning, and know that temporary fluxuations are just that - temporary) until later that morning when I realized my period had come. So now I'm blaming it on that! For what it's worth, I've been on the pill my whole life, and went off last summer just to see if there was any difference in how I felt (there's not that I can tell, other than my period shows up at seemingly completely random times nowadays).

Bups
01-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Afternoon all,

I have been MIA for a few days - new job - can't have them catch me surfin the net yanno ;) well at least not the 1st week.

But now on my 4th day I am finding I am not going to be as busy here as I thought, I left my last contract to come here because I wasn't busy there - I am at the Gov't now - need I say more :lol:

So that leaves me plenty of time for surfing and maybe writing the next best-selling novel.

This week hasn't been the greatest for me food wise - this is my 2nd week of redoing phase 1 - I need fruit - going to start Phase 2 on Sat as soon as I can get to the grocery store - my weight luckily, hasn't changed.

So have a good afternoon all!

(Off to start my book)

Kim

kissyjoy
01-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Good Morning Everyone!

Ruth-That ice sounds nasty! I've been lucky enough to only experience that once in my life when I visited to the in-laws. Enjoy the heat wave though! :cool:

Mama-I can't believe that people are really that stupid to be rude to someone who's going to stick a needle in them! You should've done it twice!

Cottage-That pizza sounds really good. I can't wait to try it!

Nally-Hope your eye is feeling better! :dizzy:

Anchor-I can't wait to hear that you made it to ONEderland! I know it's going to happen for you soon! :D

LC-Congrats for staying OP through a hard time. You are one strong lady! :strong:

Bamie-You poor chick! Are you ever going to get over your nasty cold? Drink plenty of water and get well soon!

Jess-Hope you have a great OP day!

Amber-What a pain to have to try to follow everyone's diet. DH eats just about anything I put in front of him so I guess I'm lucky that way (he doesn't need to lose any weight).

Ellis-Ouchie!!! :o Paper napkins? I bet that Charmin is going to feel really good when you get out to the store! Good luck with the treadmill and no frankenfoods today!

Barb-That's not very nice of your work to give you the day off and then page you! What kind of boss do you have anyway? :lol: Good luck with the workout today!

RNMOM-Hope you got your blood...and are feeling more refreshed :devil: ! :lol:

Jan-I've noticed the same thing when I start P1 over again! It just doesn't work as well although give it some time. Do you have a lot to lose?

Aba-You made me really want to have some pretzels! Remember to put that sunscreen on for those high temps you have going on there!

Beachgal-I'm sure that weight is just TOM. You're doing so well that I'm sure it will come right off!

Me-Not too much excitement over on this coast. It's a little chilly today with temps in the 50's. Our main highway up north is still closed due to the La Conchita mudslide. One of my friends was working in Santa Barbara when the mudslides happened. He had to drive up north further to pick up another freeway and took it all the way around back to here. What would normally be a 35 mile drive turned into 370 miles! They're hoping to have the freeway back open by Saturday. I really hope they do as I have to meet a bride in Santa Barbara this weekend. The good news about the mudslide is that all the people are accounted for. Some bad news I heard this morning was that a man lost his wife and 3 children. I can't imagine what he's going through. I was going to attach a picture of the slide but the picture is too big and I don't know how to resize it! It's pretty crazy though!

Hope everyone has a great OP day!

Airmans Angel
01-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Afternoon ladies, I have been mia for quiet some time now I have been super busy but still mostly on track. The holiday went well all but some small cheats but im back to phase 1! I have had so much sucess with this way of eating I just think of it as my way of life now. I go to the gym everyday and I feel so much better. I have missed all the support you amazing women have to offer :grouphug: I will try to catch up this evening have a fantastic day ladies.

Oh also I have a quick question in the canned tomato what do I need to look for I have a can that has 4 sugars but the ingredients does not list any more so does that mean its okay or no? I wanted to use them for dinner tonight but wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance for the advice :)

jenne1017
01-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Afternoon Chickies-

Ruth-- I've fallen too many times on the ice. STAY IN!

Mama-- hugs to ya!

Cottage -- I'd like a pizza too! Let me know when you post the recipe so I can try it!

Anchor -- so proud of you!!! ONEDERLAND HERE YOU COME!

LC--my condolences. Glad it was a nice service.

Bamie -- I feel crappy too. Perhaps you caught it from me :) Regardless, feel better!

Barb -- Happy day again!! :)

RN -- hope the day is good!

Jan -- I hope to lose anything on P1 again -- this will be my second go at it!

Laurie -- I am sure it's "Da Bloat" -- hang in

Bups --LOL! Surfing is bad in the first week!

KissJoy -- I heard about that family too. So sad. Glad you are ok!!!

Airman's Angel -- welcome back :)

Me:

Went to spend the last $7 to my name until next Friday. I updated my website about it if you want to really read the non-South Beachness of it all. I think I made good choices that will stetch me out and actually allow me to eat :)

Sorry if I missed anyone!
Have a good day. Work calls! My budget ($1.5 million) is due today and I want to get it in on time!

Barb0522
01-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Welcome back, angel. As long as the tomato sauce does not have any sugar in the ingredient list, then you are fine. Tomatoes have natural sugar but that is fine.

Bamiegurl
01-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Laurie... The doc said I have a sinus infection and broncitis. Gave me 2 shots and a z-pack. I thought I would be much better by now! ugh..... I just still feel so exhausted!

Barb... I have not taken my temp. Good idea.

Airman's Angel... Glad to have ya back with us.

Nalaminu
01-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Hey Ladies! Just checking in during my lunch here at school. I am back at work and my eye is feeling much better, even though putting the medicine in my eye grosses me out! Hehe. I missed my kids at school so much. Yes, I am the librarian and computer lab teacher at an elementary school. We have regular education kids PreK-6 as well as 6 special needs classes ranging from early childhood special ed, to severe/profound. I have to be really careful with germs around our special needs kids. I learn so much by working with them. I really love my job!

This morning I went into the teacher's lounge and the intermediate teachers went together and made breakfast for everyone. There was everything there, I swear! There were 3 breakfast casseroles, tons of muffins, fruit, hot chocolate, cider, and tea. I was SOOOO proud of myself! I went in, talked to the ladies a little, made a cup of hot tea and excused myself. If I can refrain from a blueberry muffin (my utmost favorite) then I know I can stay OP!

:cheer:

Also! One of my friends was sitting with me at lunch and asking me questions about SB. I am letting her borrow my book and giving her the info for our forum. Ya never know, we may have another teacher hanging around soon!

Have a great afternoon everyone!

:)

Nally

HunnyBee
01-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Yep, they are out to get me..(my coworkers) ha ha they had a big birthday cake celebration and I did good... no cake for me.. We have kind of weight watchers group here (bunch of us gals trying to lose weight) and I lost one more lb according to their scale... Im not sure if that's accurate but hey it can't be too far off.. LOL>> Anyway, sounds like everyone is having an OP day! Cheers! :coffee:

Marianna
01-14-2005, 12:49 AM
Hi everyone... sheesh this forum is really moving along these days.

I have only been writing sporadically! I usually come in and check the thread before bedtime due to the time delay.. but haven't had the stamina to make a post after all of the reading :)

Hope you are all well and having positive days!