Old 01-12-2005, 08:53 PM   #1  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Question Enova Oil

Has anyone tried Enova Oil yet? I just saw a commercial for it, where they claim that the majority of the oil injested is burned as energy versus stored as fat. I visited the website and read the "PR" on the product. Sounds good, but I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback. It may have JUST come on the market in this country, but maybe someone has tried it?
Spedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:10 PM   #2  
it's always something

I've been curious about this, too. I even bought a bottle recently. I've only cooked with it once and could not tell a difference between it and regular oil, which of course was good. The day after I bought it, I read this article in Consumer Reports magazine:

Quote:
An oil that keeps you slim?
Bottle of Enova cooking oil.

Enova, a popular cooking oil in Japan, is being test-marketed in the U.S. It claims to be specially processed so that it “can actually help you maintain, not gain weight.”

Is that claim true? Published research supported by the food industry appears to back up the no-weight-gain claims; one small, six-month clinical trial, funded by Enova’s manufacturer, noted modest weight loss. But so far, the evidence is scanty.

Enova, a blend of soy and canola oils, contains essentially the same amount of calories and fat as other vegetable oils. In processing, an enzyme is introduced that arranges the fatty acids so that 80 percent of Enova’s fat molecules contain just two fatty acids; those fat molecules are called diacylglycerols.

Some evidence suggests that the liver may burn diacylglycerols, which may result in suppressed appetite.

“We really don’t understand how this would work,” says Robert H. Eckel, M.D., a professor at the University of Colorado and chairman of the nutrition, physical activity, and metabolism council of the American Heart Association. Like other nutrition experts with whom we spoke, Eckel says it’s too soon to know whether Enova is a worthwhile alternative to regular cooking oils.

The Archer Daniels Midland Co. has partnered with Japan’s Kao Corp. to sell the oil in Chicago and Atlanta, and on the Internet at www.enovaoil.com. Our shoppers paid about $3.70 to $5.50 for a 20-ounce bottle in Chicago and Atlanta, and about $14 online, where shipping and handling charges kicked in. We compared Enova and a leading vegetable oil, Crisco Pure Vegetable Oil. Both are mild, we found, and they tasted basically the same when used to bake muffins or sauté vegetables. Crisco is less expensive.

The Food and Drug Administration considers Enova “generally recognized as safe.” But there may be better ways to maintain weight than by using this expensive cooking oil.
I'll use this bottle, but I won't buy another.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:13 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

dontcha just love the statement "generally recognized as safe.” ?!?!? Instills alot of confidence eh?
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:10 AM   #4  
Baby Steps

Well, with all good things...how soon before they say "oops" and claim it causes some disease or health problems?
Wish there WAS something easy to use to help lose weight!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #5  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Brenda: I second that. But idiot me.......I'm still adding Enova to my shopping list. Heck, I'm putting cinnamon in my coffee (another phase), using coconut oil (something else I read about)....why not try it all? Can you hear the desperation in my voice?
Spedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:29 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Just stick to the good old fashion natural stuff and you really can't go wrong (in moderation of course lol).

Thanks !
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote