Support Groups - Desperately Need a Diet Buddy #22 - 2005

NicoleNYC
01-01-2005, 12:01 PM
!!!HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Just wanted to get us started on a new thread. And again, I think we need a new name. Any suggestion?

NicoleNYC
01-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Alrighty, I shall post to myself to get us rolling again :flow1:

First, how did you guys spend your NYE? M worked so we eventually spent the evening at home drinking chmp and watching movies. If you ever get the chance to see Shaun of the Dead, please do. We were :rofl: the WHOLE TIME. We then watched the fireworks (we could see the ones over Central Park, Time Square, and then another display downtown on the river. I LOVE the big fireworks displays!), drank some more, and then well...that was pretty much it. It was fun tho! I like these quieter NYEs at home - after so many crazy ones in my younger years, it's nice not to start a new year with a massive hangover, begging God not to let me throw up again, and making bargains never to drink again if He would just make the room stop spinning :stars:

So I've started a whole new points counting journal and so far, so good. I'm trying a new thing - another brilliant plan (that should be "brilliant" plan I'm sure, as I've had many and most have flopped spectacularly!). I'm hoping to use all my Flex on the weekend - this means I'll get to relax a bit with the points counting on the w/e and it will force me to eat more fruit and veg (low points or freebies) and exercise (for the Activity points) during the week. I'm giving myself a month to see how it goes and I'll update my weight on Saturdays. Love the tracker/ticker things, THANK YOU 3FC!!! Let's hope for lots of these :goodscale

I'm also going to try, once again, to get this exercise habit started. I'm going back to the beginning with just the 1 mi WATP, five days a week. I actually enjoy it so it isn't hard to get it in. I'd also like to bully myself into doing either Pilates or some yoga at least three days a week. Not like hours of it, but I think I have some 20 to 30 minute beginners DVDs. Again, I'm not looking to change my body at this point, I just want to start the habit. Wish me luck. And the fact that exercise earns more points is just - well, frankly, it's very motivating.

Lastly, I'm going to break down and become a water drinker. I have resisted lo these many years but I think it's time. I have no plans to be one of those one squillin ounces a day for the sake of it people, but I would like to skip the occasional Diet Coke in favor of H2O at least a few times a day.

And in all this, I plan not to be neurotic and nuts about it. I hope to make an honest effort but I will not be hard on myself. This is the year of Me being nice to Me.

AAAAAANNNNNNDDDD - it's almost my birthday! I can see what looks like a stack of books piling up, wrapped (which for M is such a huge effort that it's touching, no matter what's in there, that he wrapped them himself) in the corner. YAY! BOOKS!!! Woo-woo! :hat:

So, some questions to get us started:

If you could only focus on one (body, diet, fitnessy type thing) this year, what would it be?

B :flow1:

ETA: I'm also going to try to keep in more regular contact here with you chickies this year. You're all so fun and great and we've been together for so long, I'm going to put a little more energy into keeping up with everyone ;)

NicoleNYC
01-02-2005, 01:39 PM
http://health.discovery.com/convergence/nationalbodychallenge2005/nationalbodychallenge2005.html

Just something to look at. Lots of info! Starts Jan 15.

B

britjo67
01-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Woooooo

I'm back.

Kinda got sucked into life I guess, and eating far too much over the holidays. Think I've gained about 10lbs these holidays.

Starting tomorrow I'm going to begin using the treadmill and back on track.

I also stopped going to WW when I fell off the food wagon mid-December. Guess I'm going to rejoin again.

Brandy you're right about the name. Pah! Feel kinda annoyed that we're the ones who end up changing when we're the ones who coined it in the first place.

Hmmmmmm, thinking caps on for a new name!

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

NicoleNYC
01-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Jo, as you were the one who gave us our first name, you'll just have to think of something bigger and better for our NEW name :D No pressure ;)

Speaking of walking and treadmills and things such as that, I want to keep a running tally this year of how far I "walk" (as it's WATP, you know, and not actual walking which I would LOVE to do but honestly, outside of my very own immediate 'hood, it's a scary city and I'd rather not do too much foot exploring on my own!) - just to see. And maybe it would be motivational?

Fat in Hong Kong
01-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Hi Girls ... HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!! :)

Brandy, thanks for starting us off with the new thread for 2005 ... and I agree, Jo should come up with a new name for us ... Welcome back Jo, hope to see you around here more often! :)

We had a pretty good night on NYE ... went out with a group of friends and had far too much to drink and ended up feeling rather delicate on New Years Day! ... then had to get up early to go and watch Tom play for Hong Kong in a Rugby Football Tournament! :headache: ... I should have had more sense but you know how it is!

Well, I'm raring to go on my new lifestyle ... keeping up with the walking ... haven't got a clue how far though, maybe I should invest in one of those pedmometre (sp?) thingies? But any distance is an improvement on my past efforts!

Although I was only 0.5lbs off my Christmas goal, I'm a little ashamed to confess that I've gained rather a lot of pounds back since then!! :o ... Although TOM is about to arrive so perhaps that's added to the poundage!! :^: Anyway, I'm not letting it bother me because as of today I'm well and truly back on track, counting all my cals and making sure I write everything down!!

Brandy, you asked if there was one thing that we could really focus on this year what would it be ... well, I think for me it's going to be getting fit ... I'll stick to a healthy diet, but I know that one of my biggest problems is that I also need to get more active, and hopefully a healthy diet coupled with exercise will help to get the job done!

I need to update my stats which I will do later as I'm just about to go out to buy some extra brithday gifts for Tom ... he's 16 on Wednesday :yikes: ... where did all those years go!! :dizzy:

Be back later!
Nichola

Fat in Hong Kong
01-03-2005, 03:24 AM
Back again! Have now updated my weight loss stats ... 3lbs gained over the holidays so not quite as bad as I'd expected ...Phew!! ... Now the real work begins!! Good Luck to everyone ... Let's make this a successful year for all of us! :D

Nichola

britjo67
01-03-2005, 07:26 AM
Sheeeeeesh, like, no pressure on me or anything!!!! :rolleyes:

Jo

NicoleNYC
01-03-2005, 10:01 AM
C'mon now Jo - we just need something brililant, clever, and catchy that says who we are without giving too much away, is positive and upbeat but not too perky, and would look good on a tee shirt. Is that so much to ask! :p

Nichola, I'm up quite a lot myself and trying to not focus on it. When I think I was 238 for quite a while and then just got complacent. Urgh! But that's behind me and it's all onward and upward - well, downward, actually. I hope.

I'm really really really feeling motivated to work out and take care of myself. Dealing with my older relatives over the holiday - you can really tell the difference between the ones who kept active, the ones who work out, and the ones who just didn't try at all. I keep telling M we are getting to an age where it's going to get harder and harder to GET in shape. And of course, there's always the "when are we going to take the plunge and get pregnant" thing hanging over our heads. Really. I'm 32 in a few days (on Thursday, actually) and M and I agree - it's getting to be now or never. But I'd be miserable if I were pregnant at this weight. I've been whinging on about the same things for years but really, it's make or break time.

So, that said, Happy Monday. I'm going to finish waking up and then try out this new Pilates DVD and then do some WATP.

You all have a great day!

ETA: Due to a large dose of Tylenol Allergy meds, it was more like PilatLAYS and Stumbling Away the Pounds, but I gave them both a go and want my efforts to recieve due notation :D

Fat in Hong Kong
01-04-2005, 03:22 AM
Come on Jo, you know you can do it ... We are waiting in anticipation for our brilliant new thread name :D

Brandy, what a great incentive you have to get fit and healthy for a new baby ... believe in yourself, you can do it, we all know you can. And we'll all be here to help you every step of the way :grouphug:

Nichola

NicoleNYC
01-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Nichola, I just keep thinking that I've been SAYING "I've got to lose weight if I'm ever going to get pregnant" for so many years now and time is just whizzing on by and here I am still. It's scary. I don't really have "baby fever" right now but I do have a sense that I can't keep putting it off forever and right now I'm in horrible shape. Anyway, yes, it is incentive!

Wish me much luck and same to all of you!

B

Fat in Hong Kong
01-05-2005, 02:20 AM
Yes Brandy, but perhaps before you just haven't felt committed to it ... you know how it is, we always have in the back of our minds that there's plenty of time until the next summer holiday, or next Christmas, or someone's wedding ... or of course, plenty of time for getting pregnant (which might I still add that at 32 years of age you do still have plenty of time!!). But there comes a time when we know it's the right time and we feel more committed to making it happen. Hopefully this is the right time for all of us! :) ... Let's make it happen!! :goodluck: to all of us!!

Nichola

PS - Jo, where's our new thread name??? ... No pressure or anything :D

britjo67
01-05-2005, 03:40 AM
How about.....

FRIENDS FIRST.

I've been thinking about it long and hard, and lets face it, in three years how many of us have changed shape??? Ali, but we lost her along the way. The rest of us have lost the same few pounds over and over again. The only constant in this is our relationship as friends. We are friends first, and dieters second.

Ok, I'll get my coat! :rolleyes:

Losing weight to have a baby is a great idea Brandy, or you could do what I did. Having Dom so soon after having Natty was a bad move as I hadn't lost the baby weight from her. I dieted throughout the pregnancy (under guidance from the doctors), and almost as soon as I had him I was lighter than I was pre-pregnancy. Mind you, I gained it back and then some over the years following that! :rolleyes:

Do you actually want kids, or is it that you feel you should? Some people make the decision not to have any and for them it can be the right decision. My sis wishes she hadn't felt obliged to have kids, as she feels she'd have been better as an auntie than a mom.

NicoleNYC
01-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Hi all!

Nichola, you're right. I've always felt that there is just plenty of time to...whatever. I guess I need to deal with this as something that's not about deadlines, but about the fact that I'm just not living a healthy life and I need to make changes, not quick fixes.

Jo, I LOVE the idea of Friends First. Because we are and have been for a while. And honestly, the lack of weight loss doesn't depress me so much when I consider that I've met you guys and made friends - it's not time wasted at all.

As for kids, tho I don't feel I necessarily have baby fever and want a child right this minute, thinking of not having kids makes me sad. I was a nanny for ages and Mark loves loves loves kids. I think he'll make a great dad. And it just makes me sort of sad to think that we might not have kids. At the same time, I dearly love sleeping till noon on Saturday and doing whatever, whenever. It's like I know I want kids eventually, but I really like my life right now. So we go back and forth.

As for diet - this week I'm doing really well with water and exercise and kind of iffy with food. I'm trying to tighten up with the food bit but I'm really proud of myself for drinking less soda and coffee and much more water. I'm not drinking water just to make myself do it, but I'm trying to reach for water instead of soda when I'm thirsty. This is HUGE for me. I'm a Diet Coke fiend!

B

britjo67
01-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Glad you like the new name. Just have to get the others to agree and we're all set.

I've been terrible diet-wise the last few days (and been making myself ill with it). I just can't bin chocolate. I want to lose weight, want to get started...so what do I do???? Throw caution to the wind, and eat as much as I can, ending up feeling shaky in the process because it sends my blood sugar into overload. Alan is convinced I'm trying to kill myself (although I blame his family, cos they all bought me regular chocolates for Christmas, while my family bought diabetic chocs!). The thing is, no matter what I can't throw it away, and there is too much of it. Last night I had to go to bed at 10pm because I felt so sick. :rolleyes:

I must stop this. :mad:

NicoleNYC
01-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Jo, Mark not only got tons of chocolate for Christmas but he got me lots of birthday goodies. The way I'm dealing with it is I'm telling myself having ONE thing a day will make it last longer. Also, putting the choclate in the freezer and taking out one thing at a time (to get soft) works because I HATE frozen or cold chocolate.

Just thought i'd put that out there, you never know - it might help. Good luck!

Fat in Hong Kong
01-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Jo, it's a great name for our new thread ... FRIENDS FIRST :) Just let us know when it's up and running.

I know exactly how you feel about the choccies ... I can't bring myself to bin anything either. I had lots of choccies, as gifts from the kiddies at school where I work, which I knew I would be unable to resist :o What I've done this year however, is keep offering them to Nick and the kids ... that way there was less left for me!

Brandy, well done on the water consumption ... I'm trying too!

Nichola

NicoleNYC
01-07-2005, 02:34 PM
There is now MORE chocolate. M's parents sent me a beautiful (and HUGE) gift basket of chocolate. And my best friend sent me a really great King Cake (cream cheese filled). One good thing about having so many sweets on hand: they have well and truly lost their allure. Totally. I can't even think about chocolate now. And of course, I have to eat it because it's GIFT chocolate. So I'll be freezing it and trying to force M to eat some (passed off as "sharing graciously") and eat a little at a time (passed off as "careful rationing"). Of course, next TOM I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune!

M did really well for my birthday, lots of flowers and pressies the Leslie Sansone Walk Blaster set which I have realllllly been wanting. It's on backorder but I'm SO excited! I've been using the WATP DVDs so long I can do them in my sleep and I LOVE them but it'll be nice to have something else to alternate with. YAY!

And now that all holidays and birthdays and things are behind me, FINALLY I can get super serious and get going. I did pretty well this week with water (which I am even learning to like - well, not hate, anyway) and exercise, now I need to focus on food. Wish me luck and lots of it and same back to all of you!

NicoleNYC
01-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Oh good grief, hit "post" too soon.

Anyway, weighing in on Saturday as planned. Down 1.5 and considering the week it's been, I'll take it!

ETA: The ticker only does whole pounds and I'm too lazy to change it again so I PROMISE to be extra super good today so the ticker will be true tomorrow!

ecchs
01-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Hi guys! I'm alive! I'll post more tomorrow!

Lorraine

Fat in Hong Kong
01-10-2005, 03:07 AM
Hi Girls,

Hope everyone had a good weekend! I've had an extremely active weekend! I finally managed to spend some time with my husband (no, it's not what you're thinking!! :lol: ). We went walking on Saturday and Sunday ... and don't I know it today ... I'm aching in places that I never knew existed!! :lol: As you know, he's training for a 50K charity walk so he's pretty fit and able to do some really difficult walks. He said he'd take me on a couple of easier walks to get me started ... Well, if they were easy walks I can't ever imagine being fit enough to do the more strenuous ones :yikes: We live at the foot of a mountain, and on Saturday afternoon we walked right to the top ... ok, it's not a huge, big mountain, but it's all UPHILL!! ... I never thought I'd make it to the top but I did :D On Sunday morning we went to a country park not far from where we live, which has lots of different hiking trails (supposedly family trails) ... well, I walked up and down hills, up and down HUNDREDS of stone steps ... and this is a girl who doesn't do hills!!! All I can say is that I'm really proud of myself for doing it and feel as though I've actually achieved something. Nick said he was pretty impressed with my efforts too ... so much so, that he took me shopping yesterday afternoon and bought me lots of new sporty gear to wear, as I didn't even own a pair of track suit pants or any suitable lightweight jackets or sweatshirts that I can wear for hiking ... now I have no excuses!! :D Nick will be training very seriously over the next few weeks ... his walk is on 19 Feb, but as soon as it's over we're going to be regular hikers!! Until then we'll try to fit in a long walk on Saturday's and I'll be taking the dog on longer walks in between. I feel really motivated and I'm quite excited about it all :D

Food-wise I've been ok ... just one little set back when TOM arrived last week and I got the munchies for something chocolatey!! :mad: But other than that I was ok ... lost 1.5lbs.

Brandy, what are family and friends like eh? ... Sending a girl who's wanting to lose weight baskets of choccies and cakes! ... Don't ya just love em?!! :lol: Well done to you for losing 1.5lbs ... I'm really impressed considering the temptations you've had!!

Hi Lorraine ... hope you're doing well :)

Nichola

NicoleNYC
01-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Hi Lorraine!

Nichola, that sounds like a wonderful weekend! And I'm so proud/happy for you. That sounds just great!

I'm still trudging along and hoping for the best. Having all the sweet stuff around is turning into a huge challenge. I do not need this. I just keep forcing M to take it to work. We'll see. I am just determined to post SOME kind of loss, anything, come Saturday.

Wish me luck and the same to all of you!

B

Fat in Hong Kong
01-11-2005, 05:24 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm pleased to see that the very long thread I posted yesterday was actually submitted, as I was having problems with our computer, and when I tried to submit it the computer froze ... I was furious and ended up having to shut down and restart again, but I couldn't access 3fc :( So it's nice to know I don't have to re-do it all again! :)

I had a day off from my active lifestyle yesterday as my muscles (pleased to be able to say I have some!) were really sore ... just did a short walk with the dog. Today though I felt much better so I've been on another long (ish) walk with her ... the same walk that I did on Christmas night (in anger! :o ) which took me almost 2 hours ... then again the following day which took me 1.5 hours, although I must admit that both occasions I was just plodding along at an easy pace ... Today I timed myself and it took me 50mins. I walked at a good brisk pace and can really feel that I've done something. I intend to keep this up and perhaps do the same walk 2-3 times a week plus the extra long walks with Nick at the weekend ... hopefully this will help to shed the pounds!

On Saturday this week, Sophie is taking part in a sponsored hike with her school to raise money for the victims of the tsunami disaster. They are going to complete the 50K Hong Kong Trail (which is the one Nick is doing next month) with teams of children doing one of eight sections of the hike ... most are very strenuous, but not sure yet which one Sophie has been chosen for. If it's not too difficult I might even go along myself :dizzy:

Brandy, keep at it ... get Mark to take the lot to work, or enjoy a few treats and get the WATP out to counteract the cals. WE CAN DO IT!! :)

I've just been inspired by a success story on the WW UK website ... There's a woman who is exactly the same height as me, started off at the same weight that I am right now, and got down to her goal weight which is the same as my goal weight ... She looks absolutely fabulous!! If I could look like her in a few months time I'd be the happiest chickie in the world! :)

LET'S DO IT!! :workout: :goodscale :goodluck:

Nichola

NicoleNYC
01-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Nichola, I'm so happy for you - it's like your whole family is taking up walking as a hobby! Or hiking, rather. You know, there are probably lots of five and ten K charity walks and things, you could get into those and work up. I think all the tee shirts would be addicitve. You've inspired me to start looking for some in my area!

As for the chocolate, it HAS to go. I was SO great yesterday - I did a longer WATP tape (inspired by you, thankyouverymuch!), ate right, drank loads of water (I'm very proud of cutting back on the Diet Coke and learning to drink water - this is HUGE for me), and then at MIDNIGHT I ended up eating chocolate. And not a reasonable amount. Today I'm picking out the freezable stuff (I don't like it cold, Mark does, and it's not fair for ME to decide WE have had enough) and sending the rest to work with him. I thought I could ration it out - that worked for about three days.

That's so great to have a specific person to look at as your "inspiration" - I should try to find the same. Frankly, everytime someone loses ten pounds I get a little kick and think wow! TEN POUNDS! So maybe I should just look at ANY success stories and keep a few around for the rough times. Now to check out that success story on the WW UK site.

Have a great day, girls!

B

Fat in Hong Kong
01-12-2005, 02:34 AM
Brandy, never thought I'd be an inspiration for anyone ... but it's a really nice feeling ... glad to be of help :D

I think you're doing the right thing with the chocolate. I agree with you that it's not right to decide that 'everyone' has had enough. I always feel so guilty when I don't have anything nice in the cupboards for the kids, just because I can't stand the temptation :o And I understand entirely about the 'midnight munchies' ... I'm sure it's something we've all done! If I've got chocolate in the cupboards I simply can't rest until it's all gone. I've been known on several occasions to secretly stuff as much as I possibly can into my mouth late at night when Nick takes the dog out for her last walk! But of course, I'll be trying not to do that again! :^:

Nichola

NicoleNYC
01-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Nichola - the whole midnight munchies thing - that was like a new low for me! I mean, snacking late, ok sure, it happens. But to be sort of sneaky about it! And to have as much as I did? I shocked myself. I'm now up 19 pounds from my lowest weight and I'm sick of myself. It's shocking. I don't know what's been up with me for the past few months but the up and down stops here. And I don't mean that in a pep-talky way, but it's just reality. A person was not meant to live like this. I think I've finally hit "desperate" and the changes are going to have to be meaningful and written in stone. I actually feel panic-y about how out of control I have been. Nothing else will do - I'm just going to have to buck up and be a grown up and get tough with myself.

Hope you guys are off to a better week than I am, but mine is getting better TODAY.

B

Fat in Hong Kong
01-13-2005, 02:44 AM
Good girl Brandy, put the past behind you and forget about it ... what's done is done ... you can make a new start right here, right now ... no one's going to judge you ... we've all been there (some of us more than others! :o ) and we all understand how you feel. None of us are perfect and these things are going to happen from time to time, but when it does we shouldn't start thinking that we've failed ... as Ali always used to tell us, you're only a failure if you give up completely and don't keep trying :) We'll all slip up from time to time, that's life, but we just have to keep on going ... eventually, one day it will all fall into place and we'll have our own success stories to tell. :)

I was very interested to read the article featured on the 3fc home page about the french way of eating ... did anyone else read it? Apparently, they are one of the healthiest nations in the world and have one of the lowest obesity rates. Surprisingly, they still eat whatever they like ... rich sauces, rich chocolate, desserts, pastries, butter croissants, full fat milk, cheese, white bread, wine, etc ... and plenty of fresh fruit & veg. Low fat products are a definite no no, and pre-prepared meals on the supermarket shelves are none existant ... So what's their secret??? ... Everything in moderation and 'real food' ... instead of stuffing themselves with low fat chocolate/desserts, etc (let's face it, we all do it ... just because it's low fat doesn't mean we can eat unlimited amounts :o ) they will eat the best, richest chocolate (or whatever) in small amounts and really savour the flavour. They eat meals with rich sauces ... but much smaller portions than the rest of us ... they eat high calorie, full fat cheeses with french bread ... and the list goes on. They take time over their meals to enjoy and savour every mouthful ... unlike the rest of us, who often eat on the run and far too quickly for our brains to tell us we're full, so we eat everything on the plate ... even though we don't really need it, but we eat it too quickly to get that 'full-up' feeling ... Eating it slowly gives our brain time to register and can tell us we've had enough before we eat too much. And although they are not much into exercise, they are still far more active than the rest of us ... they walk more and use their cars less. There's got to be something in this. I'm definitely going to adopt some of their attitudes towards food ... I think the key factors are 'moderation', 'real food' and 'eat slowly'. It all sounds pretty logical to me ... just need to try putting it into practice! :)

Nichola

NicoleNYC
01-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the pep talk.

And it does all sound very logical but so impractical for most of us. While the French may get loads of time for vacation and long lunch hours, here the typical work day usually drags on for 10 and most people don't take lunch. Vacation - two weeks would be generous.

I agree the French ideal is wonderful and it's a shame we can't live up to it, but I can see how in the US it's just not how most people are able to live :( For myself tho, there's no excuse. Ultimatly, I'd love to be a portion control kind a girl.

Fat in Hong Kong
01-14-2005, 03:57 AM
Yes Brandy, I see your point, it wouldn't be very practical for most of us would it? :( So I guess the most important thing is, as you said, portion control, which is also one of my biggest problem areas ... something I'm trying to work on right now :^:

I mentioned to you a couple of days ago that Sophie is doing a sponsored hike tomorrow, and I have decided to go along with her. We'll be doing a 14K hike (thankfully, it's a couple of the easier sections!). The first section should take around 2 hours and the second section around 1hr 50mins ... these are the times given in the guide books at any rate! The temperatures have dropped here over the past few days so it's going to be pretty cold up on the hills, I just hope it doesn't decide to rain!! Wish me luck!! :)

Nichola

NicoleNYC
01-14-2005, 11:33 PM
Nichoal! That's great - have fun and tell us all about it.

B

Fat in Hong Kong
01-15-2005, 04:59 AM
Hi Brandy, I made it!! :D Phew! ... my legs feel like jelly! :lol: Actually, we did really well ... the guide books said 3 hours 50 mins at a normal walking pace ... we did it in 2.5 hours ... and we had a bit of a detour due to taking a wrong turning at one point :lol: There was a teacher at the front and one at the back, to make sure we didn't lose any kids ... I stayed at the back with the teacher, but we started to lag behind a bit when had to walk up around 200 steps! When we got to the top, we could still see the kids in front as they went around each bend, but suddenly we lost them :o We couldn't quite understand this as we were walking a quite a pace to catch up with them, but they disappeared completely out of sight! The problem was, we came to a sign post with two routes pointing in different directions to the same place ... but we took the wrong (longer!) one and ended up having to turn back :rolleyes: Anyway, we had a good day and Sophie has raised quite a lot of money for the Tsunami victims (about HK$2500 ... not sure what that is in US$, but it's a good amount). The whole school is aiming to raise at least half a million dollars through various sponsored events and this morning hundreds of relief packages, which the kids have been collecting, have been flown to the disaster areas. We hope it will help some of those in need.

Anyway, I'm now shivering and aching, so I'm going to run myself a nice hot bubble bath and have a well earned rest! :D

Have a good weekend!

Nichola

PS - What's happened to everyone else??

NicoleNYC
01-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Oh wow! You guys did so well! Congratulations - you must be AWFULLY proud.

Now you can get on the business of recovering!

B

Fat in Hong Kong
01-19-2005, 02:57 AM
Hi Brandy,

Sorry I haven't been around for a few days ... problems with the darn computer again!! But it's sorted out now thank goodness :)

Forgot to mention that I weighed-in on Friday and only lost 0.5lbs :( ... bit annoying really considering all the strenuous activity that I've subjected my body to lately :lol: Oh well, I'll keep at it and I'm sure the benefits will show sooner or later :crossed: Must confess though that I've been out of the habit of writing everything down that I eat ... perhaps this has something to do with it! :o (note to self: Must remember to write everything down :dizzy: )

How are you doing? Have you managed to get rid of all the choccies yet??

Well, nothing much to report I'm afraid. Hope everyone is having a good week so far ... BTW, where is everyone else????? Jo????? Raff????? Lorraine????? And anyone else who I haven't mentioned ... It's about time you came back ... Brandy & I are getting a little lonely :grouphug: Hope to see some of you back soon! :)

Nichola

britjo67
01-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi all,

I don't really have time to stop. Had a hellish couple of weeks, an exam yesterday, Natty was confirmed last night, and I have an essay due in tomorrow. The word total is 3000....current total 200 :dizzy: Think I'll be burning the midnight oil to get it done. It's not as if it's on anything interesting, patents and copyright! :^:

Still eating like a pig, and not losing, but I need to get my butt in gear, I'm rejoining WW again next Tuesday (for the umpteenth time) and I have to get this weight moving.

Right must dash, probably be back at the end of the week once I've recovered from the lack of sleep tonight.

*note to self - make this the last time I say 'I mustn't leave the assignment until the last minute' :lol:

NicoleNYC
01-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Hi all!

Very little to add, sick (sneezy allergies - yuck) and just this side of saying 'screw it' and doing Slim Fast just so I don't have to THINK about anything!

B

NicoleNYC
01-20-2005, 09:28 PM
I have quite stupidly managed to crack my temp dental work (thank goodness it's in the back where no one can see - my appointment isn't till a week from Monday) so I'll be on the Slimfast, soup, and smushy foods diet. If this doesn't result in some weight loss, I am a lost cause ;)

Fat in Hong Kong
01-22-2005, 01:43 AM
Jo, hope you managed to get the essay finished on time!

Brandy, hope you're feeling better now! Sorry to hear about the dental problems ... which reminds me, I'm long overdue for a routine check-up but I keep putting it off ... I HATE going to the dentist!!

Hope everyone has a good weekend! :)

Nichola

ecchs
01-25-2005, 03:36 AM
Hi everyone!

I just need to say how proud I am of all you gals! NICHOLA! Look at that ticker! Keep going Baby!

Jo...Let us know how WW is going for you. I know deep down in my heart that WW is the way for me to go, but I have about 1000 excuses not to go, with $ being at the top of that list. So you guys will have to be my support and I'll so my best on my own.

Hey Brandy...hope you're feeling better. Never had to deal with allergies, but sounds like they wipe you out pretty good. Hope you're feeling better.

That's about all I have to share right now. Still fat and sassy, but I'm working on the sassy part. LMAO Ok, I'll work on the fat too!

Lorraine

NicoleNYC
01-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Hi Guys!

First, I'm going out of town for a bit and I'll be out of touch. Second, I think I just need to take a break from thinking/talking about my weight so much. It seems like the more I talk about it the less I actually DO about it. So I'll be taking a little time off from obsessing about it and TALKING about it obsessivly. Expect to see me back in a week or two!

Take care and good luck!

B

Fat in Hong Kong
01-26-2005, 02:37 AM
Hi Lorraine, good to see you back ... You know we'll always be here to support you so keep posting!! :D

Brandy, have a good trip ... maybe a little break from obsessing about it is just what you need right now. I know just how you feel ... I've been pretty good up until this week, both in the 'diet' department and in being more active ... I did another 14k hike on Sunday with Nick and my legs are only just getting back to normal today :o However, I seem to be dragging my feet this week as far as eating the right things are concerned ... been pigging out a bit :mad:

Lorraine, I think it will be a while before my ticker moves in the right direction again! :(

A few of my colleagues are starting diets and I feel that unless I pull myself together I'm going to get left behind ... so I've just been and stocked up on healthy foods again!

Nichola

ecchs
01-26-2005, 02:44 AM
Every step in the right direction is another step away from the wrong one. Healthy food is a great thing to have in the house, because I know that a house full junk leads to it all going into my body. Good for you on the exercise front there Nichola! Nothing like energy and a revved up metabolism. I'm heading to Curves again tomorrow. Yay!

Lorraine

ecchs
01-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Ugh. Wicked headache. Wondering if it is Caffeine withdrawal.

Lorraine

Fat in Hong Kong
01-27-2005, 02:14 AM
Lorraine, hope the headache has improved!

Unfortunately, although I have plenty of healthy stuff in the kitchen right now, I can't stop picking at the things that aren't so good :mad: I seem to have a sugar craving at the moment and I'm having difficulty controling it ... I'm not even eating stuff that I like!! ... As long as it's sweet it will do ... I guess TOM is around the corner!! I haven't even got much 'bad' stuff in the house at the moment, but I've managed to find whatever there is!! The sad thing is that I feel really sick and annoyed with myself after I've done it ... so why do I do it??

Nichola

RaffaellaBella
01-28-2005, 01:50 AM
Hi Guys! :wave: I'm back. I stopped getting notifications so I thought the thread was dead, but then WHOA! I came to check in and I see you all are doing great. I'm so happy for everyone.

I lost 5lbs but then gained 7lb back. AARGH! Time to try again. I haven't decided if I want to stick with the South Beach or try the new WW. Which ever isn't going to cost me money is best. I'm sick and tired of paying money to lose weight.

How has the new year been treating you all so far?

Fat in Hong Kong
01-28-2005, 04:19 AM
Hi Raff, welcome back! I need to get back on track too ... had a terrible week this week ... just don't know what's been the matter with me!! I'm sure I've regained everything that I've lost so far!! But I intend to get back to counting cals AND writing EVERYTHING down!!

Nichola

Fat in Hong Kong
01-31-2005, 02:46 AM
Hi Girls,

I'm pleased to say that I've finally got back on track today. I did weigh-in on Friday and discovered that I've regained 2lbs!! I simply can't keep doing this ... before I know it the summer will be here and I'll still be in the same position that I'm in now :mad: I'm not going to change my ticker (partly because I don't know how to do it yet :dizzy: and partly because that 2lbs WILL BE GONE by next week!! :^: ).

How's everyone else doing? Hope you all have a good week :)

Nichola

ecchs
02-03-2005, 03:11 AM
Hello Ladies!

Have had an ok week. Have a bit of a cold, so I've been fighting the need to nap every 2 hours, although all the coughing is giving me a good abs workout, so there is a positive side to things. :) I've joined a new gym. It's farther away than the Curves I was going to, but it has childcare, and my neighbour goes to the same gym, so I'll have a workout buddy and we can carpool. I'm quite excited as it is a nice place, and it costs less that Curves in the end, even with the Childcare. Yay! Had a really good eating day today too. Managed not to nibble at work, which is really huge for me so a pat on the back there.

How is everyone else doing?

Jo- Did you get my Msn IM message the other day?

Lorraine

RaffaellaBella
02-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi All! I'm doing okay with the 3-0-1 (3 meals a day, nothing in between, one day at a time). It's an old OA thing but it seems the best for me to do for now. I've lost five pounds in two week and have decided to weigh myself at the beginning of each month.

I ordered these great Timberland shoes from Zappos.com for my trip to France. I had to get a men's size because they don't make wide shoes for women that are nice. And if they do they are way, way too wide. At least the men's version gives me wiggle room. Aah. I remember the days when I could fit my slender size 9 in a $100 shoe with no problem. Those times are gone but they will be here once again, God willing.

How is everyone else doing?

NicoleNYC
02-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Hi all - back from visiting parents and of course managed to bring a cold with me. Had a nice time despite odd dental issues. Much "home" food, which I miss terribly. Have taken so much cold med that I now have cotton mouth - hee. But seriously, yuck. Will catch up with you all soon.

B

Fat in Hong Kong
02-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi Everyone,

Lorraine & Brandy, hope you both feel better soon :grouphug: Brandy, glad the trip went well and hope you've now got your dental probs sorted out :^:

Raff, well done on your 5lbs loss ... keep it up :) When are you going off to France ... I'm really jealous, we love France but there's not much chance of us visiting from HK!!

Glad to say that my ticker now has the correct reading once again :D Now all I need to do is get it moving in the right direction! :o I'm off work this week for the Chinese New Year holidays so I'm going to have more time to prepare some good healthy meals ... unless of course hubby decides we go out to eat ... then I'm going to have to be careful ... but planning to get in lots of walking together so hopefully will counteract any damage that I may do! :^:

Hope you all have a good week :)

Nichola

NicoleNYC
02-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Hi all!

I'm back - I'm back and bigger than ever. I've just never really gotten a grip since sometime last September and it's been a steady climb. I'm not sure why really, I don't have an actual reason, but I finally really LOOKED at the scale and did the math and I'm up higher than I've been in ages and I guess why doesn't really matter but enough is enough. So now I have to update my ticker upwards AGAIN which sucks but I think I really need to sort of face the number.

So congrats all you losers and maintainers and for us gainers (which, in reality, might just be me), time to get going.

Happy Mardi Gras, y'all!

B

NicoleNYC
02-12-2005, 09:49 PM
:balloons: Bumpity Bump Bump :balloons:

How is everyone? It's awfully quiet around here!

I am once again hitting the START OVER button - I am not going to go into it too much because really, what can I say that would surprise you? But I'm giving it another go so wish me luck.

Hope things are well with all of you!

ecchs
02-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi guys! I'm alive and well...been busy this past week getting into my new gym routine. Having a good time and hoping the trend will continue. I'll keep you posted!

Nichola...hoping Chinese New Year was fun!
Brandy...starting over is better than not starting at all.
Jo...hope all is well!
You too Raff!

Lorraine

RaffaellaBella
02-14-2005, 01:04 AM
Hello Ladies! Glad to hear everyone is doing well. I'm preparing for my mini-vaca to Paris by trying on the tops I bought. A couple fit snug but hopefully I'll lose a couple of more lbs before I head off. I'm going to do WW for a month and see how it goes. I'm not crazy about the plan but its easy for now, until I get back and can start on South Beach again.

Well have a lovely Valentine's Day! :love: :flame: :grouphug: :high: :cheers: :cofdate:
I tried to use all the lovey dovey smilies I could.

Take care,
Raff

Fat in Hong Kong
02-14-2005, 03:07 AM
Hi Girls,

For some reason I've not been getting notification of posts agains?!! :?:

Glad you're all doing fine :)

Brandy, I'll be hitting the start button again with you ... did a bit too much socialising over the Chinese New Year Hols ... ad we all know what that means!! :o

Lorraine, hope the gym routine goes well!

Brandy, if you stick to WW for a month I'm sure you'll look extra good in those new tops ;)

I'm just off to visit the doctor ... came out in a rash over the weekend which is driving me crazy ... it's all over my arms and legs mainly and it's hot and itchy, a bit like sunburn ... Not sure if it's something I've eaten or an allergic reaction to something :?: Hope the doc can sort it out as it kept me awake half the night!! :tired:

Have a good week everyone! :)

Nichola

NicoleNYC
02-14-2005, 01:35 PM
:dance: !!!Happy V Day Girls!!! :dance:

Lorraine, good luck with your new gym thing!!!

Raff, enjoy Paris and take lots of pics!

Nichola, hit that restart button HARD girl, we have to make it stick this time.

Hope everyone has a great day,

britjo67
02-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Hi all...

Sorry, fell off the thread wagon again :dizzy:

Been hellish here, with deadlines galore at Uni, and I've got 7500 words to write for 17th March :^:

I'll be insane before I finish this degree!!!!

Dom is doing well with his ice hockey, gained his first assist (not bad for a defender!!) the other week.......you never know, he may make it to the NHL one day! Natty turned 11 the other week.....no idea where the time has gone. We got her a mobile phone for her birthday, so for all of two days she thought we were the best parents EVER! :lol: She's so moody it's not funny though...and I guess we've got a fun few years ahead of us.

Fell off the food wagon and currently feel MASSIVE. Refusing to stand on the scales so no idea where I am, but I do need to get my butt moving as I'm at the doctors in April and he'll give me **** if I've not lost around 14lbs over what I lost last time....and I think I gained that all back, so 28lbs in two months....is that achievable??? :dizzy:

Lorraine, I didn't get an MSN im.....was it to my britjo67 addy? I don't have you on MSN....or yahoo now, as I use my main addy as my login. Let me know your addy and I can add you :)

Anyway, that's all for now,

Hope you're all doing well. Did I read it right, is Raff going to Paris???? Ooooh la la :D

Talk soon
Love
Jo :grouphug:

britjo67
02-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Almost forgot.....I never did go back to WW :o

RaffaellaBella
02-17-2005, 01:18 AM
Hi All! I'm hitting the restart button as well. I gained back 3 of the 5 I lost and am now in the 2 week PMS period which is **** for me when it comes to food. I can not afford to gain any weight because I bought new clothes for my trip.

I've been doing WW for a few days now because it's more structured and that's what I need right now. Ideally I like South Beach but it leaves way too much room for error.

Overall I feel good. I've been following my foodplan and only went over on my points today because I went out to eat with my sister.

On another topic, I am so upset with my sister. We are spending 3 full days in Paris and I thought that the third day we could swing by London. Well she is completely against it because she doesn't want to take away from her short time in France and that we could go another time. Yeah as if I'm the globetrotter she is. She knows I'm poor and can't afford to pass timezones the way she does and yet she won't compromise. I think what hurts me most is that if the tables were turned I would make the sacrifice for her. Well there's nothing I can do about it, but it just pisses me off. Argh!

Talk to you all soon. Stay well.

Love,
Raff

Fat in Hong Kong
02-21-2005, 04:05 AM
Hi Girls,

Seems to have gone a bit quiet around here lately! My reason for not posting since last week ... I've not been a good girl and feel a bit ashamed!! :o Obviously I didn't push the start button hard enough!! Will definitely be pushing it harder today!! :^:

Nick completed his 50k charity walk on Saturday and I now feel like a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders ... I won't go through it all again but you may remember that I was having a few issues about the whole thing a few weeks ago! Anyway, no more long, intensive training sessions to take him away from me every weekend!! As of next weekend we'll be out in the country parks and hiking trails, up and down hills, walking together. The good thing (??? :yikes: ) about this is that there's absolutely NO WAY that I'll be able to make any excuses not to go ... certainly not after all the fuss I created about him doing the walk with other people because I wasn't fit enough to do it. It's now his mission to get me fit ... and he's even talking about me signing up to do the charity walk next year!!!!! :rofl: I must confess that there's a little part of me that would like to attempt it if I could get myself fit enough over the next 12 months ... just to prove to myself that anything's possible if you try hard enough.

Maybe this is going to be the turning point in my life ... who knows? ;)

Hope the rest of you are doing better than I've been doing lately ... Have a great week!! :D

Nichola

NicoleNYC
02-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Nichola! You're going to leave us behind to become an athelte!!!

Raff, you're going to have such a great trip!

Jo, where are you with those 7500 words?

M and I are back on the diet thing. Brace yourselves - I'm even going to cook.

Wish us luck,
B

Fat in Hong Kong
02-22-2005, 02:40 AM
Brandy, don't worry, I'm not quite THAT enthusiastic!! :yikes:

Good to hear that you and Mark are back doing the diet thing together ... Good luck to both of you!

I had a letter yesterday from WW wanting to know why I haven't been to any meetings in the last X amount of months :o ... They're offering free membership (worth HK$350) and the first meeting free (HK$120) which is quite a lot of money and one of the reasons why I haven't been back to them ... just couldn't justify throwing so much money away if I couldn't stick to it for more than a couple of weeks. Anyway, the offer is open until 25 March, so I'll think about it over the next few weeks and decide if I want to give it another go. I'll try to continue on my own and if the weight loss tracker doesn't start to move soon I think I'll pay them another visit :o

Nichola

NicoleNYC
02-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Wow, I love a good deal. That alone might drag me to an actual meeting.

As for me, I don't know exactly WHAT kind of diet we're doing here but we're being careful and hoping for the best. Poor M has had several crap days (and nights - lots of calls at home at 1, 2, and 3 am) with work and I think he'd love nothing more than some comfort food and sweets - I'm trying the Cooking Light fake outs and so far, so good.

Take care,
B

RaffaellaBella
02-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Hello Ladies! Still chugging along with WW. I've been staying within my points range and have only gone over a few times. Also been walking for 1/2 hour a day and it's been helping. I've decided to stop weighing myself because I was down 2lbs again. The smart thing to do is weigh myself once a month, which is easier said than done. The minute my clothes feel a little looser I'm running to the scales. There should be a support group for that. It could be called "Scale Watchers Anonymous".

I'm still going to OA, but only one meeting a week because all of Staten Island has become OA-HOW which is a splinter group. To make up for my lack of meetings I've joined at yahoo OA email loop and I like it.

The tickets and package from AirFrance came today. I'm so excited. March 9th is when we are leaving and it feels so far away. I've got everything in order. I just ordered a french menu book from amazon to help with deciphering the names of foods. I'm not a fan of French food because I'm not a butter and cream person so I don't know what I can eat there. I could eat pastries all day but that would probably make me sick. :p

Well I'll be talking to you all soon. Take care and stay well.

Love,
Raff

NicoleNYC
02-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Raff, I think I'm going to have to hide my scale or at least come to terms with it. I lose two pounds, get over-confident, and crash. This is not good. I also need to follow your lead and start walking!

I looked up something on OA-HOW - sounds extreme. I would like to think that one day I'll be able to sort of "natrually" control what I eat. The whole OA-HOW thing sounds so tight and restrictive and just confining. I couldn't find a lot on it, so maybe I've gotten the wrong impression.

You are going to have such a great time on your trip! I'm so excited for you and we'll all be expecting lots of pictures!!!

Everyone else, have a great week,
B

britjo67
03-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Helloooooooo

Well I've still written approx. 0 words of the 7500 :dizzy: Slowly going insane.

Anyway, I had a lightbulb moment this morning. I'm fat. I'm getting fatter. I'm eating too much. I'm sure as **** eating too much sugar. I don't want to be like this. I don't want to die before my time.

Soooooo, I'm back on WW. Doing it at home, using their online tracker. I also weighed myself, and I've gained all I lost at WW and then some.

I'm taking control of my life and my weight. I'm sick of making empty promises.

On the family side of things, Dom played brilliantly at the weekend (they did lose 7-0 though!)...and he was awarded The Spirit of the Game (or Man of the Match). :D

Just heard today that Natty got in at the High School we want her to attend in September, so mega chuffed about that!!!

Right I'm off to make myself a coffee and start planning food.

Love to you all
Jo

NicoleNYC
03-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Jo, we seem to have had the same lightbulb. I have been trying to FORCE it to come on, but this morning the switch finally flipped itself and I get it.

Glad things are well on the family front, congratulations!

B

britjo67
03-06-2005, 04:30 AM
Glad you got the lightbulb thing too, Brandy.

I'm still religiously tracking everything I put in my mouth, and although I shouldn't really weigh myself until Tuesday, I've lost 4lbs so far this week. I know it's the inflated first week weightloss, but still can't help but feel happy about it. :D

The thing that is different this time around is that I've finally wiped the dust off the treadmill and begun walking. Admittedly the first week has been 10 minutes of brisk walking (which nearly killed me the first day). I'm upping the minutes each week. It's the first time I've actually combined exercise with diet. :o

Hope everyone else is doing well. Three days and Raff flies....how exciting...just wish I could go over to France to meet her.

Love
Jo

NicoleNYC
03-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Hi JO! I finally feel up to the challenge. This week, I'm back to walking (sort of "walking" - using the WATP tapes anyway) in addition to tracking. I'm going to try to make myself wait till NEXT Sunday to weigh in so I get a full week and weekend.

You know one weird thing that has really motivated me? Ok, backstory: I hate shopping in the fat girl shops and sections. Even tho they have some really great things now, it just sucks the life right out of me (tho I should just count my blessings). Well I just found out that Gap, plain ol' every day Gap, goes up to a size 20. I am fairly near a size 20! I am fairly near shopping in a REGULAR STORE!!! This is so exciting to me!

Anyway, thought I'd share.

Raff, have a GREAT trip!!! We'll want to hear all about it when you get back!

B

Fat in Hong Kong
03-07-2005, 02:03 AM
Hi Girls,

Sorry I've not been around for a while. Not had anything good to report! :mad:

My weight is right back up to where it started ... again!! Don't know why I do this ... I went through a phase of walking every day and felt really good about it, but during the past month I've done zilch! And I haven't really been watching what I eat either!

Anyway, my lightbulb was also switched on yesterday ... went for a 4 hour hike with Nick and today I'm feeling totally incapacitated!! :o Just goes to show that the daily walking I did a while back does actually make a difference because the last time I went hiking with Nick I didn't feel this bad!! So, it's back to the daily walking for me to build myself up again ... and this time I'm not going to start making excuses not to do it!!

Also, I went shopping yesterday for a new pair of jeans ... :lol: ... Don't know why I bothered!! If I found the right size they didn't have my length, or if they had my length they didn't have my size!! Eventually found a pair which was the right size and length, but they were "stretch" jeans which I hate ... they don't hold the belly and bum in like the normal ones .... and they looked absolutely, shockingly, awful!! Needless to say I came home without any ... near to tears ... again!! I can't keep putting myself through this misery!

We're going away for Easter week to Singapore ... now I've got the problem that I've got no summer clothes that fit me ... it's still a bit chilly here in Hong Kong so I'm able to squeeze into my winter clothes, but in Singapore it's hot, hot, hot ... and last summer's clothes don't fit!! What to do?!!

Well, we are now well and truly into March ... and I was supposed to have started my new lifestyle in January ... well, I did actually but it didn't last! Anyway, today I am starting over (can't change my weight tracker because I don't know how to! :o ... Sophie did it for me last time, so I'll have to ask her to do it again!)

Jo, well done on your fantastic weight loss ... I hope I can do as well as you.

Brandy, glad you've seen the light too ... let's hope this is a good start for all of us!

Raff, have a fabulous time in France!

Have a great week everyone!

Nichola

Fat in Hong Kong
03-08-2005, 03:48 AM
Well, as you can see, I have now managed to change my weight loss tracker! :dizzy: I thought it was going to be complicated (I'm very much a novice when it comes to computers you know! :o ) Anyway, I thought I was going to have to cut and paste and do all sorts of complicated stuff just to update my tracker ... didn't realise you just change it the same way as before! :lol: Well, you live and learn :D

So, it's back to the beginning for me as you can see. I really am trying to get focused to stay with it this time. I want to get away from the "diet" thing and really concentrate on it being a "lifestyle" change. I don't want to be constantly thinking about food all the time. I need to watch my portion control ... which I am really struggling with! And need to choose health options and get more active ... I'm going to work out a timetable for myself and pin it to the fridge.

It's been a beautiful day here in HK today ... really mild and sunny ... makes me realise that summer is just around the corner ... and I don't want to look like this!!! :mad:

I'm going out for dinner this evening (someone's leaving do) but I'm already determined that I'm not going to let it ruin my plan. There is always some occasion that we need to go out for meals, so I really do need to get it into my head that I don't have to pig out just because it's an "occasion" ... there will always be occasions, so I've got to work them into my lifestyle and not let them constantly wreck my plans.

Nichola

britjo67
03-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Great to see us all making new commitments to losing.

Well, weigh-in today, just as TOM hit with avengeance....so my first week loss is only officially 3lbs, although I do know it is more.

Easter in Singapore sounds very glamorous, Nichola....mind you so does summer in Hong Kong :lol:

We're going up to Scotland at Easter, for an ice hockey camp for Dom, so will be staying in a caravan on a nearby campsite (mmmmmm nice and cold!!!)....mind you the caravans do have heating so maybe it won't be too bad. I've got a couple of essays to work on that week, so I'll be busy (probably by the indoor pool while Nat swims).

Bet Raff is getting excited now!!!!! One day till she flies to gay Paree :encore:

Talk soon
Jo

NicoleNYC
03-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Well we are doing NOTHING for Easter as usual because M gets no time off. There are NO FRIGGIN HOLIDAYS in the US. Easter is just another Sunday. Oh well. Rumor has it MIL has sent us a box of chocolate. Please send me lots of strength to stay out of it. Or at least sample it sparingly!!!

Nichola, summer clothes are a BIG motivation for me right now. Esp as I found some summer clothes from last year with tags still on - at least a size too small (they fit at the time, I have no idea why they didn't get worn? I'm guessing I just forgot about them) - two if we're being honest. I'm determined to be able to wear them when the warm weather comes. If it ever does.

ANYWAY, I'm off to do my WATP for the day!

You guys have a great one!
B

britjo67
03-10-2005, 02:02 PM
I've got a couple of bags of clothes still with tags on :^: Usually because I think 'oh I'll lose weight and it'll be perfect'....and then never get there.

I'm currently shattered, and craving chocolate. :dizzy: Met my client yesterday for the court case I'm doing on Wednesday. Don't think we stand a chance, but you never know.

I was supposed to be going on a forum meet. 36 women, all meeting at a hotel in Blackpool. With my essays not written, and this case to prepare for, the only thing I could do was cancel. I upset my best friend though, who threatened to cancel her booking too if I wasn't going...but someone talked her round. I think she isn't talking to me now because I backed out at the last minute, but this is the final year of my degree and I can't afford to fail. I feel down enough about having to cancel, without her making me feel even more guilty. She made me feel like I've let her down big time. :(

Jo

Fat in Hong Kong
03-11-2005, 03:57 AM
Oh Jo, you and I both ... chocolate cravings that is! ... And it's not even TOM!! However, I have promised myself a nice chololate treat every Friday when I go shopping ... problem is, I seem unable to stop once I start! :o Consequently, I've just eaten a Cadbury's Cream Egg ... my first and probably my last, as they've only just arrived in the shops here and once all the other Brits know they're in the shops, they won't last for long!! :lol:

I wish you all the best for your court case on Wednesday ... it must be really nerve racking for you!

As for your friend, well you really do have to do what's more important to you. Maybe she's just feeling a bit miffed or even jealous because you've put your work before her. Perhaps you could just let her know how important this is to you and how upset you are at not being able to go with her. When it's all over and you've got your degree you'll be able to spend more time doing things that friends do together. If she's a good friend I'm sure she'll see your side of things :)

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Nichola

ecchs
03-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Hi everyone,

Just coming in for my usual sporadic post. :D I've been doing pretty poorly on the eating front (like that full size chocolate bar and half a bag of chips in front of the TV last night) but have been doing well on the exercise front, so we're sitting at neutral at the moment. Today is the day I push it over into the positive (or negative if you think about pounds to lose! -1,-2,-3, and so on.)

Just been sitting here reading all the posts and feeling so proud of you all for keeping on and taking it one day at a time. We will do it!

Raff- May you have a bulkhead seat and free drinks all the way to Paris baby!

Everyone...take care, have a great weekend!

Lorraine

Fat in Hong Kong
03-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Hi Lorraine, keep up with the exercise, you're doing well :)

I've just hopped on the scales and I'm 2lbs down, so my weight loss tracker is once again on the move ... in the right direction! Let's hope I can keep it up!! :^:

Nichola

ecchs
03-15-2005, 12:13 AM
Had a really good day in the exercise and eating department. Hoping tomorrow I can continue the trend. It's so frustrating to undo all the hard work in a day's worth of binge. Here's to CONSISTENCY! *ching*

Lorraine

NicoleNYC
03-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Am once again in allergy ****. Ahh, spring. Grrr.

Will catch up more when not medicated to the gills.

Jo, your friend will get over it. It sucks for her that you had to back out BUT you had to. That's the way it is. She may pout for now, but she'll come around with a little distance. Till then, study hard and make us proud!

B

Fat in Hong Kong
03-16-2005, 01:58 AM
Lorraine, yes it's so easy to undo all the hard work in a day's worth of binge, how true that is!! Hope you managed to stay on track.

Brandy, sorry to hear those allergies are troubling you again ... hope you feel better soon.

I've been off work sick for a couple of days this week with a very upset tummy ... was convinced it was something I'd eaten but there have been quite a few others off with the same sort of thing, so who knows? :( Feeling much better today though. Have managed to stay pretty much on track foodwise ... basically haven't felt much like eating ... if that were only the case ALL the time!! :lol: But I haven't felt like doing exercise either, so no walking so far this week, which obviously isn't good! :mad: And I feel so exhausted due to lack of sleep that I really don't feel up to doing any today either. Hopefully tomorrow I'll feel more energetic! :^:

Nichola

NicoleNYC
03-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Nichola, hope you are feeling better by now.

I think I'm at the end of this allergy misery for now. Blah. It's such a drag! But I must admit, it's not nearly as bad as when I was younger so I should not complain too much.

I'm still tracking points and tomorrow (provided the sinuses have stopped throbbing) I plan to pick back up with my beloved WATP. Yay. Terrified of getting hear the scales.

Hope all is well with you guys!

B

ecchs
03-24-2005, 03:14 AM
Uh oh...where did everyone go? Hope you're all well ladies...As for me, I'm fatter than ever. Well, actually, not EVER, but getting close. It has got to STOP. Here. NOW.

Lorraine

Fat in Hong Kong
03-24-2005, 03:37 AM
Lorraine, I'm still around but had a very busy week at work as it's the end of term today. I'm also up to my eyes with ironing as we are going on hols to Singapore on Saturday, and my son, Tom, is flying off to Sri Lanka tomorrow on tour with the Hong Kong Under 16's Rugby team ... He had to go through a lot of intensive training to get into the squad so were really proud of him.

You are not alone ... I am also fatter than ever (almost)! Had a mammoth weekend ... it was the Hong Kong Rugby 7's World Cup which is a 3 day event Fri-Sun ... and just about every expat in Hong Kong attends (if they can get tickets!) and people come from all over the globe. It's a fantastic weekend (even for those who don't much like rugby). Consequently, I spent the whole three days doing this :cbg: :jeno: :mcd: ... this :cheers: ... and this :cp: :cheer: Needless to say I've never felt so uncomfortable!! I dread getting on the scales ... my clothes are enough to tell me I've gained lbs!!!!!

As we're off on holiday this weekend seems pretty pointless trying to get myself back on track now ... but wait until I come back!!! This have simply got to change!!!!

I'll catch up with you all when I get back from Sing! :wave:

Nichola

RaffaellaBella
03-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Hello Ladies! I've been a bad "fatchick". Haven't been reading the posts nor taken the time to write. But you all have been on my mind. While doing dishes I'll think, "Gotta get on the 3FC site and see how they are doing." and the same when I'm cleaning or fatzing around. Well here I am; better late than never.

First off I'd like to congratulate the losers and maintainers. I gained back the 5 that I lost so I'm back to 325lb again. My God, I can't believe that number. :o

I went to Paris last week for a mini-vaca and it was wonderful. 100 times better than I expected. The food was fresh and fabulous, not like the crap we have in America (no offense to the Americans). Even their processed foods taste better than ours. I spend 1/2 my time just tasting the foods. While I was waiting for the Metro I would stop by a vending machine and taste the Pepsi, Lipton Iced Tea, Water and get a Coke at a restaurant. Their soda has less carbonation and is not as sweet. Their Lipton doesn't have an after taste like it was made with shitty tea leaves. Bottom line even there sweet stuff is not as heavy and sweet as ours. I had tartar with fries and the fries didn't taste heavy or fried. How'd they do that? And everyone is thin there, a little too thin if you ask me. No one has an *** or tits. They all look like 12 year old boys wearing Chanel and Armani. But that's my just my .2 cents.

So it's good to be home except for the high fructose corn syrup and the 9000 ingredients that are put into our food that don't need to be there. And it's back to drawing board for me with my foodplan. I'm going to give it another try. I have made changes by ensuring that I eat cheese and protein during the day and I have added some vegetables here and there. I'm getting there...slowly.

Love,
Raff

Fat in Hong Kong
03-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Hi Girls,

What's happened to everyone??? Just got back from Singapore and expected lots and lots of posts to catch up on ... but nothing??

Hope it's just that you're all too busy with your diet & exercise routines!! :D

Raff, glad you had a great time in Paris ... have you managed to get back on track since you've been back?

We enjoyed Singapore but must confess that it's nice to be back in Hong Kong ... never thought I'd say that but it's true :)

I've just hopped on the scales and I'm shocked to say that I haven't really gained any weight whilst away, still hovering around 179lbs, which is a miracle considering the amount of food I've eaten ... huge buffet breakfasts every day etc!!!! :o Perhaps it was the amount of walking we did whilst there ... my feet are killing me!!!

Well, it's definitely back to the drawing board for me. I'm feeling really uncomfortable. Must confess that being in Singapore and seeing all the skinny Asian beauties (pretty much the same as Hong Kong but there seemed to be more of them!!), I felt really old and frumpy. None of my clothes fitted me properly and I felt really self concious of the fact that I'm so overweight. If I was a "normal" size I would have had such a great time trying on all the wonderful clothes that I can't get in Hong Kong. As it was Sophie, my daughter, had a field day!! She's had so many new clothes and shoes. I know the only way I'm going to get any is to lose weight so that all my clothes are too big!!

I'm not wasting anymore time ... I start TODAY!!!! ... Who's joining me?

Nichola

NicoleNYC
04-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Hi girls!

Very quick one for me - I've been out of commission with back problems so that's why you've not heard from me. I didn't really "do" anything, I just woke up one day and couldn't move and it continued to get worse through out the day? Whow knows. I am too young for this - it was the trying to pass out, popping out in cold sweat, seeing stars variety of pain and it SUCKED. Really - I am just too young for this! I'm on the mend now but not 100% but I must say, nothing motivates like pain. From what I can read (in the five minutes at a time I can stand to sit here and reasearch) the two biggest contributing factors to "mystery" back pain are being overweight and inactive. Ding Ding Ding! I think we have a winner. Need I say my diet has been exemplary since reading that? And as soon as I can walk without wincing, I'm going to WATP my butt off. Seriously, if this is where my life is headed, I have a problem. So I'm very much turning things around here.

As for you guys, glad Paris and Singapore were fun - am very very pea green with envy here!

Take care and have a great weekend, everyone!

B

Fat in Hong Kong
04-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Brandy, sorry to hear about your back problems, hope you recover quickly :grouphug: I know what you mean though ... I tend to have aches and pains quite often and I'm certain that they are caused by the fact that I'm putting unnecessary strain on my poor body due to being overweight. I often have back pain and some mornings it's a struggle to get out of bed. My knees too give me pain and this simply isn't good if I want to seriously get into walking. I know you're younger than I am, but at 42, I still shouldn't be feeling like an old woman. I look at some of my friends (all around the same age) and they all look years younger than I do ... all slim and active ... I don't want to be the old one anymore.

We had an email yesterday from our friends in the UK who were going to visit last year but couldn't make it ... they have said that they would like to visit this summer ... July or August ... OMG!!! My friend has got THE BODY to die for!!!!! It will be nearly 2 years since I last saw them and in that time guess what ... my body is even bigger!!!!! I really can't let them see me like this, I feel so ashamed that I've let myself go so much over the past few years. I feel so sad when I think back to how I used to look after myself ... diet, exercise, makeup, hair, clothes ... what the **** happened to me?!!!! Well for me, this is definitely the push that I need to get up off my big fat you know what and finally do something about it. I've got at least 4 months to get myself into shape. If I can average 1-2lbs (preferably 2!!) per week, I should be well on my way to my goal ... now that's not unrealistic is it? 8lbs each month would be great, but I'd still be happy with 5-6lbs a month.

You heard it here first ... Nichola is on a mission!! :)

NicoleNYC
04-03-2005, 01:32 AM
I feel so sad when I think back to how I used to look after myself ... diet, exercise, makeup, hair, clothes ... what the **** happened to me?!!!!

:o

Yes! I know that thought! I HAVE HAD THAT THOUGHT!!!

Every now and then I realize that there are some things I just never let myself do in the past, things I didn't even THINK about - I just didn't do them. And now they are part of my day to day life! WHAT HAPPENED?!?! I think I've been working too hard on trying to answer that question and not working hard enough on just making changes. I got lazy. I got comfortabel. THAT'S what happened. It's not any deeper than that.

I guess I just need to muster up a little PRIDE and hold myself to a higher standard. And with this back problem to deal with (and having found out that i'm justthisside of having high blood pressure), I feel very very compelled to get my shi...I mean, self together.

We should start a whole new thread with our new name. We need a new and fresh start for spring. I need to spring clean my life as much as I need to spring clean my home.

Up for it? :flow1:

RaffaellaBella
04-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Hello Ladies! Looks like we are all motivated now for different reasons. But we are all agreeing on one thing: we're tired and we need to take care of ourselves.

Since I came back from Paris I lost 7lbs because I've started eating the way the French do. I no longer have a taste for the highly processed American foods. I've added fruits, vegetables, and protein to my diet. I'm eating smaller portions as well. On the whole it's going well. I sometimes fall into habit and grab a bigger plate or portion but then I remember. It's hard work changing my eating style and habits but I'm going to continue because I have no other choice. I'm tired of being 2x my normal size.

My husband is leaving for Yemen today. I'm excited for him but sad for me because I will not see him for a month. He hasn't seen his family for 14 years. His brothers and sisters were little when he left. Now they are all grown. I'm taking him to Kennedy Airport later. His friend is coming as well so I can't get too emotional when I say goodbye. :(

I'll talk to you all soon. And once again, I am so happy that we are all starting fresh. Power to the chickies! :strong:

Love,
Raff

ecchs
04-04-2005, 06:09 PM
How about "Friends First" like Jo? had suggested before. Change is as good as a rest as far as I'm concerned!

Lorraine

Fat in Hong Kong
04-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Brandy, I think you've hit the nail on the head! We got too comfortable! I know when I got married and then had kids, my life changed. "I" was no longer my priority. I was totally happy taking care of the house, hubby, kids when they came along. I gave up my job and threw myself into being a wife and mother ... I lost my own identity, I can see that now ... and now I want it back! I have a job which I enjoy and the kids are older and no longer need me so much, so now's the time to do something for "me"! Don't get me wrong, I don't regret the past few years of my life, I wouldn't trade it for anything, but I do regret losing pride in myself.

Yep, I'm up for spring cleaning my life! :)

Lorraine, I reckon we should go for the new name ... "Friends First" sounds right to me, what does everyone else think? Someone go ahead and start the new thread with a post telling people we were formerly "Desperately Need a Diet Buddy" just so everyone knows who we are, then we'd better PM all of our existing buddies so that they know where we are.

Raff, well done on losing 7lbs ... that's a great start!! :bravo: keep it up! Hope your hubby's departure wasn't too emotional? You've got a month alone now when you can throw yourself into your diet and not worry about doing stuff for someone else ... you can surprise him with your weight loss when he returns! Good luck! :)

Nichola

RaffaellaBella
04-05-2005, 01:45 AM
Hi All! This one is a quickie because I'm still sick as a dog and need to get to bed. I think the new name Friends First is a great idea!

See ya,
Raff

NicoleNYC
04-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Poor Raff - Feel better!!! Congrats on your weight loss and I'll be thinking of you while you're waiting for your husband to return. M only visits his family for a week at a time and I still feel all out of sorts while I'm here on my own.

Nichola, I am with you - a big Spring Clean is in order!

And Lorraine is right, Friends First is what we should be. I'll start the new thread. Sorry if it's not a very inspired first post - I'm in a med head fog (still with the weird back pain) but I'm still ready to go!!!

Someone get us started!!!

B

NicoleNYC
04-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Ok, I was going to start our new thread yesterday but got distracted by a phone call. I'm on it now. I'll come back and post the link here.

Look for FRIENDS FIRST - Desperately Need a Diet Buddy #23 - 2005

NicoleNYC
04-06-2005, 09:53 AM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=814379#post814379

^^^ LINK TO NEW THREAD^^^