Support Groups - Happy Moo Year

View Full Version : Happy Moo Year

Lohani
12-30-2004, 06:22 PM
I do not feel like looking up the names of the threads from past years, but I’m sure that my thread title is a repeat. Someone will look it up, probably Peachez. I will cook a lovely dinner.

I have succumbed to peer pressure and bought Leslie. I will be marching in front of my TV soon. We have company or I would start immediately.

Wabby
12-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Lushie, I'm thrilled that you're joining the herd in marching along with Leslie. See you next year!!!! :hat:

SugP
12-31-2004, 06:20 AM
You'll love it, Lushy! It's really not all that bad, and she's so encouraging. Ds11 even did it yesterday because he thinks he's getting a little pudgy. He is, but I'm trying not to pressure him about it.

Must get cooking. Less than 12 hours 'til midnight here. Managed to sleep until 11 a.m. the fourth day in a row. Lovely. :smug: :smug: :smug:

Cowpernia
12-31-2004, 09:25 AM
I hope my avatar works. I want to be Wabby Jr.

I also own Leslie tapes from back in the Herby days. He kept the one-mile and sent the others along with me. Do they actually work?I guess so, huh? Should try them.

Going to check my avatar now.

muffie
12-31-2004, 03:24 PM
Stoppin in to wish you lovely adorable cows a happy and healthy 2005. Couldnt make it through the holidays without sending you my love. :flow1: :grouphug:

Life is GOOD here. I am finally sober.....wohhhhhhooooo 9 months and actually living the AA program, unlike last time. I have proved to myslef, this is where i need to be. ;) Kids are great. Single and LOVING IT. :lol:

Hope all is well with you all.

*smooches*

Muffie :flow1: :flow1:

SugP
12-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Way to go! What a woman. Glad to hear you're doing so well. :D

10:29 p.m. here. Kids are outside letting off firecrackers with Papa and I'm in here relaxing and not even thinking about cleaning up the kitchen yet. Have a teeny tiny glass of sparkling w(h)ine in my hand. I suppose the headache tomorrow will be worth it.

How come it says Kiwi was the last one to post on the jingling cows thread but I can't see the post? :?:

Are we making New Years resolutions? I'm sure not. Never have, never will. But this year we'll be perfect, right?

Kiwonk
12-31-2004, 04:54 PM
That's cuz I deleted it because I was answering an ancient message because I'd forgotten to read all of them before I posted, and frankly it made no sense. So I'm here, but I have to go because I'm going to a very small NYEve party -- but at least I'm getting out of the house!!

I will Leslie-ing starting Monday when everyone goes back to school and work. Right now I am tired from all the (damn) driving etc. Happy New Year to all good Cowies!

(That's all of us, in case anyone was wondering)

Kiwi

Lohani
01-01-2005, 03:04 AM
Welcome to Perfect 2005. I am planning to get every aspect of my life in perfect order this year. I am starting with DH and working my way down from tallest to shortest. As soon as I finish with him, I get to work on ds14. I am next. I am sure I'll be at the top of the Feb. list.
I walked with Leslie today. It was more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I didn't listen to her encouraging me because I did picture in picture while I watched regular tv. I checked her website and you have to PAY to read the boards. I love our 3fcs. I wonder if they bill automatically because I still don't get popups or ads. I also don't see anything asking for money.
I am back from my NYE party. DS12 stayed over. The rest of us are home in our sweet little sober house. I think it should be a rule that a video camera be mounted in an out of the way corner at every party so the drunk "funny" people could listen to their lame jokes in the morning.
Muffie, I am so PROUD of you. No one needs to take hidden video of you, huh? I'm glad you stopped by.
I should go to bed. I am cooking a lovely traditional pork and sauerkraut dinner tomorrow. Is that the tradition anywhere else?
bye

Kiwonk
01-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Hidden video, huh? Maybe we could make it part of the patRIOT Act, eh?

I'm so glad you're going to be perfect this year. I look forward to copying you. How do you plan to perfect the DH? That sounds like more than a year's project to me.

Had nice party last night at people's house an hour away -- there were only 7 of us (and 2 were DD and a friend) but we managed to stretch it out to 1:30 am and then I had to drive home. And it was rainy/freezy/slick and a bit nervewracking to drive. The real trick was getting down our driveway: the whole thing was covered by a thick sheet of ice. And of course, it's downhill to the garage. I crept a ways down and starting sliding. It took several minutes to inch my way down. I'm so glad I hadn't let anyone else drive -- I suspect we would have ended up in a ravine.

So today I'm trying to install and activate Norton Antivirus on the other computer. DH has tried it half a dozen times and it doesn't work. I don't really have much hope for it.

What an exciting life I lead. Hope all yours are, well, something else.

Happy New Year!

Kiwi

SugP
01-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Oh yes please, Lushy, do provide detailed list/plan/diagram of how you intend to perfect your dh. Having a perfect dh has always been my goal, but I'm afraid there's not all that much to work with. It could take decades :D Heh, only kidding. At least he doesn't stay out all night at bars lookin' at other women. As far as I know. :p

Wow, Kiwi! Glad you got home safely. Ice is the worst.

OK, I AM going to make one resolution: I refuse to let houswork control my life any longer!!!Well, it's worth a try, at least.

Kiwonk
01-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Housework doesn't control my life. The avoidance of housework and the resulting consequences control my life. Strangely enough, today while I was waiting for the computer to boot up for the x-teenth time, I cleaned the bathroom and did a load of laundry. Perhaps I'm turning over a new leaf. heh.

I also got the foolish virus software to load and update and I am the computer hero of the house today. DH is the puter expert around here (yes, I will admit he is much better than I--my advantage is patience with the details, and persistence) and he had been banging his head against the wall over this thing since we got home Thursday night. I will not gloat. I will not gloat. I will not gloat.

What's for dinner?

Kiwi

PainterWoman
01-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Sometimes New Year's is good. Sometimes it isn't. It isn't this year.
I forgot to take anti-depressants for a coupld of days, for one thing (too focused on Martha Stewart caliber Christmas Cookies I made with DD-- but mostly ate by myself. CR*P. Did get some knitting done. No exercise. Do you all really recommend Leslie? I think I should just hang myself from our Bow-Flex wanna be equipment. Grumpy Grumpy. I did, however, find a neat website for all of us: COWS! (http://cows.ca) I probably OUGHT to be grateful. We didn't have bad weather or typhoons or health problems or repo-men showing up. OK. I'm grateful. But I am still crabby. Drat. I will post more when I am over it. :moo:

PainterWoman
01-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Still cranky. But updated at least.

Bagzz
01-03-2005, 12:19 PM
COWS!!!! that is from PEI----that is a the next province over from me Painty!!! how funny that you found that----they make the BEST ice cream ever---sort of like Baskin Robins or Ben and Jerry's----they are a very popular stop on Prince Edward Island---we buy their tee shirts.ANYway---that made me smile----I should get someone to scan the pic of Kiwi,Betty and I at the Cattle Crossing Sign-----KIWONK!!! do you have this pic????

Wabby
01-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Yes, Painty, Leslie is the answer for we less than athletic types. She is so simple that even I can do it. It takes no coordination. I only promise myself to turn it on, then I tell myself I can quit at any time, then I tell myself I only have to do the first mile, then somehow I keep on going until then end of the video. See what a non exerciser I am? Works for me. You just have to get over the initial feeling of silliness marching in front a tv. :dizzy:

Kiwi, everybody here knows you're a computer whiz.

Lush, please forward DH perfecting instructions. My dear dear DH went fishing all day on New Years Eve. 6 am until 6 pm. Then he came home, ate and zonked out by 9 pm. That was my rockin' New Years Eve. At least he was warm to snuggle against at midnight, even though he was unconscious. Ya gotta look at the bright side.

Muffie, it's wonderful that you're letting the program work for you. My sis has 3 yrs sobriety now and it just keeps getting better and better for her. So good to hear from you, girlfriend. :)

Happy New Year to all my favorite Cowsies!!!!!

Wabby
01-03-2005, 07:06 PM
I don't like it when I post in the morning, am gone all day and then when I check back no one has posted after me. If I post again, I feel like I'm talking to myself. Oh well.

We have Coldstone Creamery here instead of Cows. A new one just opened not more than 2 miles from my house. I remember that picture, Bagzie, I think I may still have it on my old computer.

OK, I guess I really didn't have anything to say, although that's never stopped me from posting.

Kiwonk
01-03-2005, 10:52 PM
At least he was warm to snuggle against at midnight, even though he was unconscious. Ya gotta look at the bright side. I think in this case, you may have overstepped the bright side... Sorry to hear the fish-man was such a New Year's Eve bore.

Here's something on my dh that needs fixing: he seems to think that "borrowing" things from the kid is the same as her borrowing stuff from us. Can't get it that he is supposed to be the adult in the situation. He asked to borrow DD's CD walkman a few days ago to record something off it, which she was fine with. Then he "borrowed" it without asking yesterday for the same reason. She was p-o'ed and I don't blame her -- actually she was on the verge of tears when she complained to me. I told him today that he really upset her and he claims to be frustrated by the whole thing, keeps pointing out an old CD player that he let her use for years which then broke. Good grief, don't they ever grow up?

I have that pic, Bagz. Want me to post it? I want some Cow Ice Cream. I love PEI. Can I post the photo of you with your hands in a bag of meat?

Durn I have a lot of stuff to do and I don't want to do it. Can you say LAZY? So far I haven't turned over any new leaves in the new year, it was just a hiccup apparently.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
01-03-2005, 10:55 PM
By the way, Lush, what is that avatar you're using?

Cowpernia
01-04-2005, 10:08 AM
I am a proud mama. I chose a small amount of money, doubled it, and donated to one of the agencies working with tsunami victims. I told DS that I had donated for the two of us. He told me that he had gone into the Red Cross office and donated twice as much. Red Cross is next door to my work office.

Wabby
01-04-2005, 11:50 AM
I think in this case, you may have overstepped the bright side

True. The actual bright side is that he's been trying to make up for it ever since.

2 miles w/ Leslie this morning.

PainterWoman
01-04-2005, 03:34 PM
OK, Wabbs, I missed out on the hula hoop bandwagon. Please explain to the blonde.
And I'm not sure what Kiwi's avatar is... an Alien Santa hovering over a mug?

I am famished.... only v8 since arising and it's 2:30 in the afternoon. Crazy Painter. Have bazillions of "oughts" running through my mind. I guess I'll have a ham sandwich first and review my TO DO list. Don't have to return to work/clients until tomorrow. Did you all do resolutions this year? I am feeling a compulsive need to make some, and yet I don't want to make ridiculouslyhuge ones and be disappointed. How fear-based is that. What a wuss.
(And where did THAT word originate, anyway?)
Stay warm... and appropriately dry.

Kiwonk
01-04-2005, 06:49 PM
True. The actual bright side is that he's been trying to make up for it ever since. Oh yeah. That works.

I JUST DID 2 MILES WITH LESLIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She was very nice to me.

And I'm not sure what Kiwi's avatar is... an Alien Santa hovering over a mug? Close. It's a little china piggie with a roach clip on a wire sticking out of his back. And the squiggly santa hat is a computer graphic. I'm all about fussing with useless details in order to waste vast amounts of time. It's what I do.

I'm marinating pork cutlets in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, onion, rosemary and pepper for dinner tonight. With brown rice I need to go cook. Must find veggies. Ta.

Kiwi

Cherry Cow
01-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi Cows! I'm sorry I didn't stop in sooner-- had a cold, then strep, and still haven't shaken all the nastiness off.

I gained back all the weight I lost at WW, but I've already re-lost 5 pounds of it. WW didn't work for me. You can see the details on my blog. However, I like the points system, so I'm still using it. The most important thing is keeping my groggy burnt out self out of the candy machine during the semester. My worst habit is sucking down Reese's peanut butter cups to stay awake.
School is cool. I finished my second semester last month and start my next semester in a week and a half. Then the madness starts again and I might not get to pop in until April.
Peachie, your DS's site is very cool! Does he write Afghanistani Annie? It's very funny.
Hello to all other cows. I think of you often.

PainterWoman
01-05-2005, 12:10 PM
It's a little china piggie with a roach clip on a wire sticking out of his back. And the squiggly santa hat is a computer graphic.
A roach clip, eh?
So who loses weight while fighting the munchies?

After posting last night I got sooooooo sleepy. I actually went to bed (before 9 pm!!!) and slept straight through. I'm dozy again in front of the computer. Maybe it has to do with what I write about, you think? :coffee: I'll catch up with y'all later.

Cherry... your name is new to me.... Hi.

Cowpernia
01-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Painty, meet Cherry. Cherry, this is Painty our new Texas girl. Painty, Cherry has been with us a long time but vanishes into other interests from long bits of time.

Cherry, how sweet of you to read so far back that you know about DS's site. Yes, that's his famous cartoon strip. If you feel like it, email him and tell him you like it. I'll know when he blushes.

I missed the roach clip thing. What a role model! You expect the rest of us to stay drug free?

Wabby
01-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Peaches, you're such a wonderful hostess.

Hey Cherry!!! Good to hear from you. I don't go to WW anymore either. Not that I feel that it doesn't work for me, it's just that I've decided that I need to make this a way of life, and that doesn't include going to weekly meetings for the rest of my life. The way I eat is loosely based on the WW program, but I've modified it to fit me. You sound busy, but happy.

I went on a 4 mile stroll w/ Leslie this morning. Kinda have a little headache now. Hope it stays little.

How did those pork cutlets turn out Kiwi? Your dinner sounded delish.

Bunco Saturday night. woo-hoo! As always, the center of my social life. :dizzy:

This headache isn't going away.

Kiwonk
01-05-2005, 05:04 PM
My worst habit is sucking down Reese's peanut butter cups to stay awake. Very dangerous, aren't they? Great to see you drop in here, Cherry! What are you studying these days?
A roach clip, eh?Hey. Totally for descriptive purposes -- DD gave me that! It's for holding notes. I think.
Really, I was hoping somebody was going to write "What's a roach clip?" ;)

How did those pork cutlets turn out Kiwi? Your dinner sounded delish. There were pretty tasty -- I think I overcooked the pork a bit. But it was excellent with the onions.
Hope your headache scrams. Or ceases and desists. Or something.

Kiwi

Lohani
01-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Kiwi, what planet do you think this bunch of old bats was on during the 70's? What is a roach clip indeed. Why, Sissy traveled with the Merry Pranksters!
I will not address daughters who give their mamas roach clips. I have teenagers myself, I am all in favor of being delusional.
I am best walking buddies with Leslie. I can't imagine spending more than 2 miles with her, isn't it boring? I haven't heard her voice, yet. I keep the TV on while we're walking. I have quit on other walking buddies in the past because they wouldn't shut-up.
Cherry, it is wonderful to see you. As all of you see, I have not sent Christmas cards. I fully intended to send New years cards....now it may be Valentines...we'll see. I have never been less busy at Christmas time as I have this year, and I accomplished less.
I'm trying to get my warsh done. bye

Wabby
01-05-2005, 07:22 PM
She's boring, but less so than her cousin Treadmill.

Cherry Cow
01-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Wabby, I agree with you about meetings... I want to make this a lifelong thing and I just can't make it to meetings every week for the rest of my life!

I'm studying Library Science. I want to get my MLS and be either a youth services/ children's librarian or a school librarian.

Lushie, it was a miracle that I got my Christmas cards out at all! I mailed them on Christmas Eve!!

SugP
01-06-2005, 02:24 AM
Hint: Whoooooooo lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Still can't figure it out? Well, I went to see :cb::flow1:SpongeBob-The Movie:flow1::cb: with ds11, ds8 and ds8's best pal. Man,what a movie.Thrilling plot, non-stop action, gorgeous leading man (if you're into sponges, that is), and David Hasselhof has some really sexy feet going on there if you're prepared to ignore the rest of his silly self.

Have been suffering from some strange sort of stomach bug that has left me weak as a kitten and cranky as all get out. First mystery illness of 2005. Bleh. Things can only get better.

Cherry! So sweet of you to drop in and thanks for the Christmas card. I didn't mail mine until about a week after Christmas so don't feel bad. Strep throat is just awful, isn't it? Hope you're taking care of yourself.

So, modern techonology has *finally* come to Germany and I find that I can buy a brand new Rival crock pot at eBay. Woohoo! (highlight of my day - how pathetic) They have big, 6.5 litres for 4 to 6 people, or small, 3.5 litres for 3 to 4 people. Which one should I choose? Probably the bigger one, huh? Aaaaand, for those of you who have one, do you actually use it alot? I have no experience with these things but the thought of popping food in the thingie in the morning and having it ready at dinnertime thrills me no end. Please advise.

Wabby
01-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Crockpot advice: don't really have any. I use my crockpot occasionally. Probably would more but I don't have enough time in the morning to put the stuff in it. Leslie is my priority (2 miles today). I have a big crock, but I probably need the small one because my family has shrunk. It's nice when you have large groups of ppl because you can fill it up w/ meatballs and sauce and have a mega huge spaghetti feed. Gee. I guess I did have crockpot advice.

Have you ever noticed how full of advice I am? Some ppl have said I'm full of something else, but I prefer to call it advice.

In 2 or 3 weeks I'm going to visit my sil in Phoenix!!!! She and her long term man friend have ended their relationship. She bought a new condo and I get to be her first guest!!! A girly weekend!!! I shouldn't act so happy about their break up. Actually I liked him, but he was a bit controlling. Sil doesn't do well w/ control. Anyway, be prepared for me to bore you to tears w/ sil-vacation talk. Wooo-hooo!!!!!

Sugar, I never would have guessed that Sponge Bob lived in a pineapple under the sea. I'm so out of touch. Hope your bug leaves you alone.

Cowpernia
01-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Get the BIG one. I use mine a lot. Yesterday I put one of those round roasts in it, the not-too-fatty kind, and had DS turn it off when he got home. Unplug it, actually. Anyhow, it was great but my friend won't own one because she and her dh believe they're a fire hazard. So one day when I was around a fireman, I asked him, and he said that if something is supposed to cook 8 hours and you leave it for 24 hours, it may cause a fire. You need some liquid. The roast makes it own liquid.

Wouldn't a pineapple rot in the sea?

Sugar, does the world like us better now that we're helping in that disaster in the Indian Ocean? Colin Powell thinks that'll make a difference. Does it? Will it? Take a poll and let me know. The news reports are so heartbreaking, unimaginable.

Speaking of unreal, does anyone watch the Amazing Race? Let's discuss the male model eating his vomit so he could continue with the race. Who will go first?

Wabby, a girl-weekend sounds like a lot of chocolate and grilled cheese sandwiches to me. At least, that's what I'd want. BE CAREFULLL~~ Don't roll off the airplane when you come home.

Wabby
01-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Peaches, with this particular girl it will probably mean shopping and going to a fancy schmancy spa for the works. Dinner out. Drinking wine and discussing Life with a capital L. I've known my sil since I was 16 and she was 14. She's the kind of person that I can not see for 2 years and yet feel like no time has gone by. I just love her to pieces and the feeling is mutual.

PainterWoman
01-06-2005, 03:46 PM
I really like my crock pot. I have one from my first marriage!! Medium size, no fires or shorts. I tend to stick with a few old fav. recipes. Best is brisket or flank steak (rolled)... seared first, then with carrots/onion/pototatoes ketchup and BEER! Tender. mmmm.

Cherry-- The MLS reminded me that we have "spoken" before. I love kids and YA's books! DH got me The Blue Girl (DeLindt) for Christmas. and an editor friend of mine says she's moving to CT and will live on the same block as Rosemary Wells. How cool would that be?

I am digesting cookies from Subway. I bet skinny Jared didn't get cookies. Sure, I have "Will" power... but my decicions are... um... unremarkable.

It is freezing here, which is unusual. and I'm about to go for a haircut. I really want hot soup and a nap.

Ought to put on my woolies and go walk. Ought. Hm.
Feeling rebellious. I could use some "direction" don't you think?

ciao.

Kiwonk
01-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Whoooooooo lives in a pineapple under the sea?MeeMeeMeeMee!!!!!!!!!! I love SpongeBob! A friend sent me 2 tiny SpongeBob Christmas ornaments, just the right size to attach to hoop earrings and wear to Christmas parties (Yes, I did!)

Crockpot -- I have spurts of crockpot use. I haven't used mine in months. But when I get all motivated, I do enjoy it. Everyone in my house agrees that coming home to stew or soup or whatever is heavenly. I bought a good book of crockpot recipes (the one that comes with the pot is kind of limited) submitted by people. I have a few favorite recipes, some of which I made up.

Wouldn't a pineapple rot in the sea? Hmph. Hey that has a good meter to it!

"Wouldn't a pineapple rot in the sea?
Sponge-Bob Square-pants!"

I love the Amazing Race -- I've been watching it since they did the first race. But I haven't watched the episode from Tues. yet (I have it recorded). Thanks for the warning. I don't think I can discuss the show while contemplating that scene, but maybe later.

Wonder where Bagz is? Hi to Painty and Cherry. Wabbit, your trip to Phoenix sounds great. Nothing better than a friend like that you always enjoy.

I'm roasting a chicken for dinner. Should be ready in a couple of minutes here. Mmmm. I parboiled a bunch of veggies and threw them in the pan too.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
01-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Isn't it Sissy's birthday? Does anyone remember? It's the same as some celebrity. Lassie? No.... Hmmm.... I think it was Conway Twitty. Anyone?

Kiwi, when you watch the recorded Amazing Grace, pay attention and let me know this ... when they're ALL standing behind a metal gate and the gate is finally raised and they all run toward something, did the gate fall by itself or did someone pull it down? This is a big controversy after it happens.

I am awaiterating.

Will someone please motivate my kid .

Kiwonk
01-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Oh durn, too late, I deleted it. I thought the gate fell down -- it was really heavy, the way they described it later. My guess is that if someone had their hands on it, it was to try to get it up out of the way. If someone actually tried to pull it down, they would have konked themselves on the head too. And they were all in a great big hurry, so I can't believe they would have bothered to take time to try to pull it down after they went through. Anyway, that other part was so gross. I felt sorry for that guy that took so long to eat the soup and had to listen the nitwit girl losing it beside him.

Your sissie's birthday is in June, if my records are correct. Same as Paul McCartney's! (http://www.famousbirthdays.net/june18.htm) Today is Charles Addams' birthday, the creepy cartoonist. DH's birthday is Jan. 19th if anyone wants to remember that...

I'm so hungry I feel like eating the mousepad. I did 2 miles with Leslie this afternoon, but I hadn't really eaten anything all day. I went back to bed this morning right after I made DD's lunch -- I had a stomachache. Weird. So I didn't eat breakfast. Leslie made me sweat. She was still nice though.

Hope Sugar's bug is gone.

Kiwi

Wabby
01-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Hey, Kiwonk, Leslie must be tired today. I walked 2 miles with her too.

I went to lunch w/ my Mom & big sis today. I ate baked ziti, which comes smothered in cheese. mmmmm. :devil:I'm worried about my sis and this hyperthyroid problem. She has a borderline incompetent Dr. who is dragging his feet about referring her to an endocrinologist.

I can't watch amazing race. It's on the same time as Biggest Loser I think. It's a terribly boring show, but I'm hooked.

Kiwi, you have the yummiest dinners cooking at your house. We had out of the can soup last night. Tonight I don't care because I'm still full from lunch.

Bagzie must have started early on the margies. It is friday night.

Kiwonk
01-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Kiwi, you have the yummiest dinners cooking at your house. We had out of the can soup last night. Well, I only brag about the good dinners that I cook. Tonight we had takeout pizza (not that it wasn't good...)

I have watched some of Biggest Loser too; it is compelling. You can hardly wait to see how much they lost each week (and then you wonder why you cared). I will at least watch the final show next week. Of course with the wonders of digital tv I can watch both. Lucky me. :crazy:

We watched The Terminal with Tom Hanks tonight. Very funny. Sort of a nothing ending, though.

Kiwi

SugP
01-08-2005, 02:14 AM
From the sound of it, I'm GLAD I can't watch Amazing Race. Eeeeew! Especially with my stomach still acting up a bit.

My super deluxe crock pot it on its way!!! I got the bigger one, because one of these days ds8 is bound to start eating something and then I'll have three hungry men to feed. I'm not worried at all about the thing being a fire hazard but will ask my (single!) fireman brother just to make sure. You can all send me tons of recipes now. Like you have nothing else to do.

Ahem...on an impulse I joined a sort of online book club based on some book called The Well-Educated Mind (heh!) which lists a bunch of must-read books if you wanna be really smart or well-read or something. The first book we're doing is Don Quixote. Eep. Should be interesting. I haven't read a "classic" in a long time. Wish me luck. If any of yous want to join in, just let me know.

Cowpernia
01-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Movie review:

Napoleon Dynamite:

Take an old TV script about school kids (middle or high school and written for younger kids) in which even the bad kids aren't all that bad.
Stretch it out to movie length.
Keep the basic premise that a non-cool kid will overcome the cool kids during the episode.
Cast the entire movie with goofy looking people in hysterically bad clothes
Go back to "Encino Man" and other valley-speak genre and copy the open-mouthed stupid stare and use it a lot.
Enjoy.

DS brought this home last night. I enjoyed it. Rated PG so nothing bad or embarrassing happens in it.

I never watched reality tv til this year and now I really like it. It's so much more interesting that other tv. The psychological changes in people are believable and fascinating. The back-stabbing gets you involved as your wait for the back-stabber to get kicked out of the game. But sometimes they win.

Where is Bagz? Why isn't she here to help get ready for Sissy's party? Six months? Is that enough time?

I have a personal problem that I may email you all with. Will you help? I need real advice .. not just telling me I'm doing right but advice to tell me how to go about this problem in a better and better way.

Bye. Post. Sugar, I'd like to get smarter but fear I'd fail. Email me anyhow.

Kiwonk
01-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Okay, everybody email me for my advice and to make me smarter. It's a new year, anything can happen!!

Sugar, I'm going to go look up my computer recipe file to see if I've already typed up any of my crockpot recipes. If I haven't, it could be a while. Then if Bagz hasn't checked in with us by that time, I'm going to post the photo of her with her hands in a bag of meat. heh heh.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
01-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Well, I'm sending you some recipes, Sugar, and now I'm posting that picture. Maybe Bagz is so busy setting up her market booth that she doesn't have time to post! In any case, here's a lovely photo of her from waaaaaaaaaaay back in 1999.

Bagzz
01-09-2005, 08:24 AM
WELL!!!! I SUPPOSE I SHOULD EXPLAIN MYSELF---- i hope it was IN STYLE to have a BIG SLOBBY TEE SHIRT over skinny pants at the time,but NOW I feel I look like a trailer park chick thinkin she's RATE HOT!!GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!But now that i realize that it's all over but the cryin,regarding "appearance" I don't even really care!!-POST THE CATTLE CROSSING PIC NEXT!!! :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: Peachbat emailed me asking where i was---I HAD EVERY INTENTION OF POSTING,BUT I am actually shocked at how much teens NEED the computer----of course you know over the last three weeks the house has been filled with teenage girls-----two eighteen,one sixteen and one fourteen----they LIVE on the computer,FIGHT for it,TALK for hours to seven people at once with the annoying diddleBLIMP noise that MSN makes loud and clear!!! they stay up til after TWO am and play music WHILE they are talking AND the computer is in the hallway outside all the bedrooms---need i say more----ANYway---the last two left for the mountains this morning at 6 am----dh had to get up at FOUR AM to get them to the airport as they want you there an hour early.BLAH!!!!----I have read all the posts and i must say Cowpern's son!!! donating his cash to RED CROSS!!! WHAT a sweetheart---all by himself with no one telling him to---HOW proud mamma must be!!!!!! I want to say MORE but i NEED my timmy's coffee----as far as the SHOP goes,I don't have it for a few more weeks-----I NEED YOUR HELP=====WE NEED A NAME AND i think it has to have something to do with either the MARKET itself,the fact that we live by the Bay or Ocean-----I really want a cool name----at the moment the name is "OH MY COD"----however that is not my kind of name---it's kind of silly and i want it to be semi-classy---------It doesn't matter anyway as the shop will be new----I an not buying the business--just the SPACE that it is in-------SUGAR---- the hamburger soup that is on one of the weightwatchers sites is DELISH in the crockpot----i will see if i can find it------Wabby---do you know the one i mean????? HI TO CHERRY---THANKS FOR THE CARD!!!--HI TO MUFFIE---GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE DOING SO WELL!!!!!-----HI PAINTY-----LOL LUSHIE NOT LISTENING TO LESLIE'S VOICE---can't be any worse than the TARTS!!!!!---hope i didn't forget anyone---kiwonk---post the cattlegirls!!! see yas lata!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GIVE ME SOME NAMES FOR THE DAMN SHOP!!!!![so i can make fun of them] ;) ;) ;)

Cowpernia
01-09-2005, 08:34 AM
The perfect name came to me in an instant.

YE OLDE SEA BAT !!!!!!

That way, the tourists would be very clear on who the proprietoress is. What will you do with the shop when the girls come again and you need to get away? Have you thought this through?

Bagzz
01-09-2005, 10:47 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA------ i have People who will work for me darling----my PEOPLE!!!---my STAFF-----heeeeeeeeeeee------I LOVE the name,but only if you will come and work for me-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Kiwonk
01-09-2005, 12:40 PM
- i hope it was IN STYLE to have a BIG SLOBBY TEE SHIRT over skinny pants at the time,Well, of course it was, you hot maritime babe, you!

Tell us a few more names at the market -- what is the market itself called (because I have the memory of a gnat)? Oh My Cod is, well, sort of disturbing. And fishy... What will be your main line of merch.? Too bad FogDog is already taken.... heh heh. Fog is what I remember most about your coastline! How about:

Grab Bagz :devil:

:lol: Ye Olde Sea Bat is lovely.

I can quite understand the teenager computer problem. We have 3 people in this house and 2 computers and DH still has problems finding enough time on the computer!

Hold on a sec while I go retrieve our lovely photo...

Kiwi

Kiwonk
01-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Cow Crossing:

Cherry Cow
01-09-2005, 02:13 PM
I love that Cow Crossing picture!

SugP
01-09-2005, 03:59 PM
I NEED YOUR HELP=====WE NEED A NAME AND i think it has to have something to do with either the MARKET itself,the fact that we live by the Bay or Ocean-----I really want a cool name----at the moment the name is "OH MY COD"----however that is not my kind of name---it's kind of silly and i want it to be semi-classy---------

Hmmm...I suppose "HUFFIN' 'N' PUFFIN" is out of the question?

:smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

Bagzz
01-09-2005, 04:17 PM
i LOVE you guys!!!! you are SOOOOOOOO dependable!!!!---hmmmmmmm let's see---the name of some of the shops are "Pat's Secret Garden","Sisters","The Wild Carrot",'Jerimiah's"."Linja Gifts"{chinese groceries and souveniers,"St Croix Creations","The Baking Stone"---some are food,some are gifts...i love fogdog and grabbagz----Puffins are sweet but they are on Grand Manan-----------------THIS IS HARDER THAN I THOUGHT!!!!

Cherry Cow
01-09-2005, 04:21 PM
What are you selling?

Bagzz
01-09-2005, 04:27 PM
stained glass lamps and stained glass windows,pottery,jewellery,children's handmade dolls, candles,books and cookbooks from the maritimes,some 'touristy" items like postcards ------ local artwork and local greeting cards-----------other assorted handcrafts from the maritimes----the shop is supposed to have eighty percent "fine handcrafts"---- and twenty percent "imports"===typical tourist gift shop in atlantic canada

Cherry Cow
01-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Ooooh, pretties!

Our local pretties shops are Through the Garden Gate and Blue Stem, if that helps.

Up at the lake, there's the Barnswallow and one shop with such a terrible name I can't remember it because I've blocked it out. It's so cutesy that I would never stop there.

Treasures by the Sea? Treasures by the Bay? Treasure Chest? [market name] Market Treasures? Maritime Treasures.

As you can see, I like the word treasure. I also like gem, jewel, or precious, but it might be tough to avoid false advertising.

I'll think about it some more.

Cowpernia
01-09-2005, 06:38 PM
OUr locals are "The Gift Bar" and "A Tisket A Tasket."

Are you selling seaweed? Remember when your mom made me eat some? I still hate sushi because of that.

Ds's suggestion: The Bespectacled Sandcrab

Kiwonk
01-09-2005, 11:14 PM
The Glass Eye

okay, I ain't right.

Our local gift shops are "Lupins" and "Moose on the Roof" I think there are others, but since I rarely shop them, being a non-tourist, I can't remember.

I'm sorry, Cowpern, you get the prize for lamest local gift shop names. "Gift Bar" -- sounds like it ought to be at the airport.

One of my favorite names, I won't tell you for what in case you like it, is "GraySea". I think it's sort of lyrical, although of course it is pronounced Gracie.

Does your town (notice how carefully I'm safeguarding your identity--that's because I am toast! :lol:) have a nickname? I was thinking something like Mystic Graysea. Too mystic probably.

Anywayyyyyyyyyyy

Kiwi

SugP
01-10-2005, 08:40 AM
The gift shop (as it were) in our town used to be called "Peanuts" until it went out of business.

Names that occurred to me in my sleep:

Treasures & Trinkets (I like treasures too!!)
Sea Shore Gifts
Rocky Shore Gifts
Foggy Day Cards & Gifts
M...'s Memories
Making Waves
The Salty Barnacle
Sea Mist

The crockpot is here! It's huge. It came with four really ucky recipes including one with canned salmon, parmesan and brussels sprouts. Eeeeew! Can you imagine the smell? I think I'll try hamburger soup instead.

Having my epiphany a few days late and actually taking down the Christmas decorations today because all of these shiny things are hurting my eyes.

Bagzz
01-10-2005, 10:29 AM
LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YOUR IDEAS!!!!! DON'T STOP!!!! LIKE I SAID---YOU ARE THE BESTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO SELL MARGIES AT THE GIFTBAR---------KIWONK----NOW I WANT TO KNOW IF GRAYSEA IS A NOSE SPRAY OR SOMETHING-----------hey girls -----i like Treasures too----but there is a very well known store in the surrounding area with that name and i would probably get in TROUBLE if i were to use it--------------- i love all the ideas------dh has compiled a list too----i should tell you what they are ---if i can find the list i will send it out hahah

Cowpernia
01-10-2005, 12:18 PM
I will laugh all day at Sugar's recipe.!! Salmon and brussel sprouts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no more name suggestions.

PainterWoman
01-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Who are those cute cows at the cow crossing?

Kiwonk
01-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Well, speaking for myself, that is me on the left in the giant pink t-shirt with legs like telephone poles.

Bagz, I really want to hear what DH has for names. Are the kids contributing as well? My DD came up with this wonderful name referring to the glass items:

The Memorable Stain

:lol: Yeah, that's my girl...

Okay, GraySea wasn't anything that awful. It's the name of a dog.

Kiwi

Bagzz
01-11-2005, 08:09 AM
that's a cute name for a doggie----my dh thought of you all and said i should call it ----THE HARBOUR COW---------hardy har har------------i will find his list somewhere on the computer {not good at that}-------we are thinking of going more traditional so that a trendy name would not wear itself out too quickly-----for example --IN OLD ENGLISH OR SOME SORT OF OLD FASHIONED LETTERING------"BECKWITH & CO." purveyors of fine gifts.----------the market still has alot of old names in it-----old fashioned signs like "Slocum and Ferris" and " Lord's Lobsters "-----it kind of seems like a cop out ---and quite boring in fact,but nothing has stuck with me so far and and i really don't like cutesy-------------BY THE WAY,PAINTY---I AM THE MONSTER COW WITH THE BLACK HAIR AND peachers is the little teeny calf in the middle!!!! aint' we swate!!!!!-----i need to get a laptop so i can talk to you guys from the market!!

Cowpernia
01-11-2005, 12:20 PM
OH HUDDA

That is my suggestion.

Wabby
01-11-2005, 01:43 PM
I bet those are the cutest cows ever seen at that cow crossing!!!! You babes looked adorable in that picture.

Bagzie, I like the Beckwith & Co. name, and I don't think its a cop out. It has a certain classiness to it. This is what I came up with - Aunty M's, (too cutesy) On the Boardwalk (but I don't know if it is), M's at the Market or At The Market,(I kinda like these) either Heaven & Earth or Fine Things (stole these from local shops). I'm so excited to see this thing take off!!!

I stood Leslie up this morning. I don't know whats wrong with me but I just woke up exhausted today. Oh well tomorrow is another day, Scarlet. 2 miles yesterday, though.

I went to bunco Saturday night and we had the very best lasagna I've ever eaten - it had marinara sauce, but it also had bechemel sauce too. It was soooo yummy. As soon as I get the recipe I'll post it. Can't make it in a crockpot, though. Then Sunday my mom and sisters went with me to the Bonneville hot springs mineral baths. And of course lunch. Geez. I should be walking with Leslie double time.

Cowpernia
01-11-2005, 02:25 PM
beckwith & co is ok with me, too, if you don't like my other suggestions.

Kiwonk
01-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Beckwith & Co. has a nice ring to it.

I'm hungry. I haven't done :censored: today, other than install my anti-virus software. What a thrill.

Kiwi

SugP
01-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Ooh, yes, I like Beckwith & Co. too! As long as you paint a little puffin on your handpainted sign. :D

Man, this crockpot stuff is HARD! First you have to get up early and dig around on the internet for a recipe and then you have to shop for the stuff. And THEN! All the peeling and slicing and dicing! You should see my kitchen! Anyway, I made a recipe for beef stew, except with pork, because, you know. And it was...um...interesting. I used the high setting because I put it om too late for low and it wasn't really done at dinner time, but I gave it a little longer and we ate it anyway and crossed that recipe off the list, thank you very much.

So I'm on this list called "germanway" for people living in or interested in Germany and I pose this question today on gift-giving at a teenager's church confirmation celebration. We're invited to dh's goddaughter's confirmation in April and it's customary to give the kids large gobs of money as a present so they can go buy something they want like a computer or whatever. No idea what that has to do with religion, but I don't make the rules around here and it's fine with us. My question was how much is it appropriate to give, seeing as we have no experience in these kind of things and don't want to give too little or too much and look stupid. So this starts this HUGE and very silly yet highly entertaining discussion on the list about which nationality (it's always Germans vs. Americans on there) is the most superficial and has the most tacky customs. A couple of people have actually given me a concrete answer to my question, but the rest of 'em are still hacking away at each other. As a neutral party, I can just sit back and smile quietly to myself, enjoying the havoc I've created.

Wabby
01-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Well ain't that the Canadian way!!!! ;)

Actually, I can settle the dispute - everybody knows we Americans are tacky. After all, Donald Trump and Paris Hilton have their own tv shows here.

The simpler the better is my motto re: crockpots. I throw in a tough old roast w/ a can of mushroom soup and a packet of onion soup mix and cook it until it's almost indistinguishable. The whole idea is to make it easy, right? In fact, I read somewhere you can use those roasting bags inside the crockpot to save on cleanup.

Kiwonk
01-11-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm afraid the key to using a crockpot is having everything on-hand. Of course if you have a giant freezer and a million cans of crap in your pantry like I do, this is not usually a problem. The only problem is figuring out what goes with what and doing it early enough so it has time to actually "slow-cook". I was thinking of using my crockpot for chicken soup today, but I realized that would be marginally insane since I was 1) going to be home all day and could cook it on the stove without any problem, 2) needed more room than my crockpot has in it anyway and 3) didn't really feel like doing it in the morning in any case. But the good news is that I did make chicken soup and it just got done! Smells soooooooo good.

I love it when you stir up trouble, Sugar! Personally I think the tackiest custom, and I've seen a lot of really tacky customs, is the Polish(/American) wedding custom of paying the bride cash to dance with her. Sometimes made extra humiliating by pinning the money on her dress. And no, I'm not Polish, perhaps I would find it less horrible if I had profited from it myself...

Kiwi

Cowpernia
01-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Perhaps more superficial than Americans would be non-Americans who emulate American superficiality.

Crock pots are easy, Sugar. Wab's recipe is one I'll try but honestly, I just put frozen meat in it. Frozen roast. Frozen chicken breasts. It's all good. I give it a few minutes to cool down before I try to serve it as it falls apart in a non-appetizing way but later, it's sliceable and tender.

Wabby
01-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Peachy, I never tried the crockpot w/ frozen stuff. What a concept! and I'm really not concerned w/ how appetizing dinner looks as long as I have something to put on DH's plate. He'll pretty much eat anything thats not too spicy. How long do you have to cook a frozen roast? on high? on low?

DH was sick today so I couldn't walk w/ Leslie, since I exercise in our bedroom. Oh darn. and I don't want any cracks about the exercising in our bedroom statement. ;)

Bagzz
01-12-2005, 11:51 AM
isn't that called sex-er-cise???? YOU ASKED FOR IT!!!!!!!HAAAAAAAAAAAAA WABS!!!

Cowpernia
01-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Wabbo, turn in on low and cook it while you're at work all day.

How do we get our Cow-Discounts at the new Bagz-Shoppe? I am ready to order online.

Wabby
01-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Hey cowsies, I need some good thoughts for my FIL, aka Grandpa Jim. He was in a car accident last thursday, and he's such a stubborn old codger he didn't even tell us until DH asked him where his car was 2 days later. Then he insisted he felt fine until I lied to him and told him the insurance company wanted him to be checked by a Dr. DH took him in yesterday and after 2 hours of xrays and poking and prodding they said he had a broken hand, a broken sternum and severe bruising around his heart. This man told me right before he left for his Dr. appointment that he was back to 100% of normal!!!! Anyway, they may want to do surgery b/c of the sternum being pushed back 1/2", but they also don't want to because of his age (87 offically but he's really 92 - it's a long story). So send up a little prayer for him. He really is sweet, even when he's driving me bonkers.

Bagzz
01-13-2005, 02:58 PM
WABBY!!!! poor Grampa!!!imagine him thinking he is 100%-----that generation are troopers----my sis's father in law who has bone cancer had been limping around for at least a month before he found out he had a fracture-----"it's just a little sore"----" no problem"-----makes us look bad,eh!!------hopefully he can heal on his own---operations are usually more dangerous than the actual condition.....consider him on my list-----xoxoxo----------

Kiwonk
01-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Wow, what a stubborn old bean. I sure hope he'll be all right.

Yesterday, DH took a wrench to our bathroom sink drain because it had been running so slow, and the stupid thing crumbled in his hands. It was totally corroded. Of course he pulled out a 2 foot long mess of hair/gunk, which was lovely. Anyway, he replaced it this morning, so we now have a shiny new pipe below the sink and the drain runs so nicely. The real point of this story is to congratulate DH on fixing something within a 24 hour period. :cheer:

Here's how dumb I am. I decided to make a batch of spaghetti sauce yesterday, but I got sidetracked by the broken drain, so I didn't get it going until too late to have it for dinner. So late last night, I was ladling it into jars and put it into the freezer. Where I found 2 big jars of spaghetti sauce from the last time I did a batch. I'm hopeless.

Gotta go get DD

Kiwi

Cowpernia
01-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Get well Grandpa Jim, you young little whippernsnapper!

A kitty story: My indoor kitty sleeps on my bed. I noticed blood on the place where he sleeps but couldn't think why so I figured the other cat had nailed him. Two nights ago I was looking at his little kitty feet and one of the claws had grown right into his foot. You know they're round. It was deeply embedded. So .. against his will ... he went to the vet and was mad but now he's RUNNNING around from one of the house to the other.

SugP
01-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Oh my gosh, poor Grandpa Jim! I hope he'll be ok. I guess when you get to be that old, maybe you don't feel the pain, or you think it's normal? Is there any way you can get him to take it easy until he heals?

So late last night, I was ladling it into jars and put it into the freezer. Where I found 2 big jars of spaghetti sauce from the last time I did a batch. I'm hopeless.
Kiwi

You think YOU'RE hopeless - I dropped my toothbrush in the toilet yesterday! :dizzy: And YES, I had a spare one, thanks for asking. :D Oh yeah, guess what? I was sorting out a giant mess of shoes and gloves and scarves in our entryway today and I found a Christmas card from you, Kiweenie, with a great picture of your lovely and talented dd. Thanks! No idea when that arrived. We have a mail slot in the front door, not a mail box. Man, if I hadn't been on a cleaning bent I probably wouldn't have found it until spring when I went to put the winter boots away. :coffee:

Thanks to everyone else who sent a card too. Can't remember who I thanked and who not.

I wrote a fabulous post here this morning but 3FC ate it and now I can't remember what I wrote. Oh yeah, something about my daily email horoscope telling me that I was going to have "an annoying day". Are there any other kind?

Peachy, I'm glad that kitty only needed a manicure to get him up and running again!

Kiwonk
01-13-2005, 06:10 PM
now he's RUNNNING around from one of the house to the other.Aww, kitty feels so much better!!

Sugar, I'm glad you found my card, and I think it's appropriate that it got mixed in with the mess: Most years the mess here prevents me from even getting cards out. And I should apologize to anyone who didn't get cards from me--I actually ran out of cards before I got finished with my list. Of course I intended to get some more and send out the rest, but we all know about good intentions... :write: :dunno:

I don't know why, but dropping your toothbrush in the toilet is very amusing. Reminds me of my toothbrush on the sailboat story, which I'm sure I have told before, but hey, it makes me laugh, so I'm telling it again. While we were on a trip sailing with a group of people, I managed to drop my brand new pink toothbrush on the floor in the head. Now when you have 5 people on a sailboat for a week and one head, I assure you that the floor in that head is getting pretty gross. So obviously the toothbrush had to go. For some reason, it ended up in the dinghy, which we tow along behind the sailboat when we go on trips. I can't remember whether I threw it there in disgust, or it went in a garbage bag and fell out (the dinghy gets to hold the full garbage bags while we are underway). In any case, there was my pink toothbrush floating around the bottom of the dinghy in whatever grubby water had collected there. One of my friends noticed it and alerted me to the fact that my toothbrush was in the dinghy. I replied that I had read in a magazine that you should always keep your toothbrush as far away from the toilet as possible. :hyper:

:twirly:

Kiwi

Wabby
01-13-2005, 07:31 PM
There is no way to make Grandpa Jim to take it easy. He has an appointment w/ a thorasic surgeon tomorrow, but all he's worried about is getting another car. See you babes tomorrow.

Lohani
01-13-2005, 07:54 PM
You gotta love Grandpa Jim. I know he drives you nuts, Wabby, but from 3000+miles away...he's a hoot.
Poor kitty. I'm glad he now has happy feet.
I'm cooking today. I'm making my month's worth. It's a drag.
I'm reading the Bob Dylan book. I like it.
I've been neglecting my friendship with Leslie...but tonight I will reacquaint myself. I like the Beckwith &Co. name. I want a catalog.
Must go chop. L

Kiwonk
01-14-2005, 08:12 AM
I am strangely awake and alert. I wish I were asleep. My house has a new noise.

In unrelated news, my dumb cat (as opposed to the other one) was stuck in the mudroom for several hours last night. After I let her into the kitchen, I discovered that she had executed a mouse. It was a quick professional job; no blood. I may have to rethink the dumb part. Or is it smarter to eat the prey, like the smart cat does? It's certainly neater not to. The smart cat, of course, prefers to dine al fresco anyway.

Is anyone else p-o'ed that the 2nd term of the Shrub is concentrating on this social security revision crap, when everyone says it's both unnecessary and unwise? They are "trying" to drum up support on Wall Street -- the only people who would actually benefit from privatizing -- isn't that sort of like soliciting your campaign funds from your employees? Or your mommy?

Uh-oh. I got poli-technical. Bad me.

Here's what arrived in my inbox this morning:
Since the 21 age, your physical structure tardily checks carries out
a weighty hormone known as Human Increment Hormone.
The diminution of it, that adapts grades of other internal secretions
in our trunk is directly responsible for many of the most
common hallmarks of eld, as wrinkles, white hair,
declined power, and diminished sexual role.
I find it very mysterious.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
01-14-2005, 09:52 AM
what else is in that trunk?

I am frustrated with my ds. I guess this is normal. Anyone have knowledge of the Telluride Summer Program? He has been invited to apply, is interested but is TOO D**N Teenagery and stubborn to put forth any effort.

Grrrrrrrrr

Bagzz
01-14-2005, 10:33 AM
darling!!!--tell the ds that he will have to work at {name some crappy southern state job} all summer long if he doesn't get off his BEE-hind and get busy with the application!!!---there must be some undesirable job that you can think of!!!!

Wabby
01-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Peach, you reminded me - I need to clip my doggies toenails. They hate it and so do I. Let's see---- what would be an undesireable job for a teenager??? Maybe you could tell him you need an assistant for the summer - what could be worse than being bossed by your mom all summer vacation?

Lushie, do you really do a months worth??? I've got to figure out something - it's been soup and sandwiches, chinese food and pizza this week. Leslie and I went on a 4 mile trek yesterday, but nothing today. Guess I'll have to do a 4 miler tomorrow to make up. I'm trying to do at least 10 miles a week. Trying to make up for eating stuff I shouldn't. I was cleaning out files yesterday and I came across all my old Weight Watcher member books. Some dated back into my 20's. A distinct pattern emerged - 20 lbs up, 20 lbs down,20 lbs up again. Maybe it's a good thing I haven't gone back to WW's and I've decided to try to do this on my own.

DD's roommate moved out and I was bracing myself for the worst - a "mom can I move back in?", but yahoo, she found herself a new roommate and things are good. Now, DS needs a boot in the behind soon. He's gotten pretty comfortable since the gf breakup and moving back in. It's not my home cooking that keeps him around.

Kiwi, who sent that to you? don't take it personally, we know you're still a young'n.

In the last week we've gotten one phone call from a developer wanting our property and a letter from one who said he wanted it. It's so nice to be wanted. I can't even think about how much work this is going to be to get moved. DH is looking at land. I'm looking at houses. We have different priorities. Who do you think will win?

Cowpernia
01-14-2005, 03:06 PM
I know you will win and you'l move closer to me. Florida is nice this time of year.

Kiwonk
01-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Peach, you reminded me - I need to clip my doggies toenails. They hate it and so do I.

Kiwi, who sent that to you? don't take it personally, we know you're still a young'n. Well, it was either my snotty Czechoslavakian sister in law, or it was spam. I'd write back, but I'm feeling too eld.

Re: doggy toenails, always a horror. Still, when I switched from clippers to a grinder (Dremel with a drum sanding bit), my dog stopped threatening my life when I did them.
what else is in that trunk? Socks.
I am frustrated with my ds.
Peachie, is that the program that is all paid for? DD got an invite to that too. It looked so good. She won't go away for that long though; I think it was 6 weeks. Then the Harvard Summer Program brochure came and I swear she was drooling over the course catalog. Of course that was 8 weeks and trés expen$ive, but it got her thinking.

Anyway, all I was going to say is NAG!! How much longer will you be able to? Enjoy. Yeah, I know, it's not enjoyable. Oh well.

I can't wait for Wabbit to become a wealthy landowner. Will you be building a guest house for us?

Kiwi

PainterWoman
01-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Can you grind a cat's claws? I'd like to learn how to keep kitty's claws short enough to spare the furniture. But listening to her skitter on the wood floors is pretty amusing, too.

sorry I've been so absent. i've been a poopy head. DD broke up with girlfriend and I don't know whether to be thrilled or not. (BAD MOMMY...) and clients all decided to stop seeing me, so money's in the tank/dinghy/etc.

Well, not ALL clients, but about 40%.

Yes, I'm still mad at Shrub. Am trying to be mature. Difficult.
Happy weekend, y'all.

Kiwonk
01-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Whoa, I don't think I'd try grinding a cat's claws! They'd never sit still for it. I use nail clippers on my cats when their claws get too long. Although I agree it is pretty amusing -- one of mine has a tendency to stick to the carpet when her claws are really long and sharp. Sounds like velcro.

Ah, another useless Saturday. I can't remember what I used to do on Saturdays. Can't believe I've always done nothing. Oh well. Nothing isn't so bad.

Kiwi

Below: cat reaction to dremel

PainterWoman
01-16-2005, 01:55 AM
Kiwi --How on EARTH did you have enough hands to hold cat, hold dremel, and click camera? What an image it all brings to mind. I bet you can juggle chickens, chain saws and lawn chairs at the same time!! In awe, am I.

Cowpernia
01-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Kiwi. yes it's all paid for. The Harvard one extends into the next school year for us. DS is right now camping in Tennesee. Single digit temps. I bought him a fortune in warm clothes and he took SOME OF THEm!

Heres's a quote from the current Time Magazine:

"People have tsk-tsked over last month's study in which women reported being happier having sex or watching TV than playing with their kids. But why shouldn't they? This how the market defines happines. Happiness is feeling good. Kids, those who exist outside ads, make you feel bad -- exhausted, frustrated, bored and poor. Then they move away and break your heart."

I'm heavily relating to that.

I got so sick of not having a decent hair dresser that I whacked it off myself a few minutes ago and it's much better. I can't do the back but th front is improved. I want GREY STREAKS. I can't find that there is such a thing. I had this mop dyed brown and now the roots and metallic and shinny and I want to blend to thema nd let them grow out.

p.s. DD musta done really good Kiwi. From what I read online it's the top one percent of the PSAt who get the invites.

Kiwonk
01-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Kiwi --How on EARTH did you have enough hands to hold cat, hold dremel, and click camera? Okay, I guess I must reveal my super-secret magic trick:http://www.baquit.blogger.com.br/cat.JPG :lol: Yeah, that's right, I searched online and found that picture. I should be so ashamed.... :coffee:

Wow, there must be something wrong with me. My kid doesn't make me feel bad (this year). I think it's a cyclical thing. Next year, your DS will be the golden son and my DD will put me in an insane asylum.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
01-16-2005, 02:24 PM
kleewee will u please be on line when I look for on Aim?

Kiwonk
01-16-2005, 05:46 PM
ah'm on now, hunnachile.

PainterWoman
01-16-2005, 05:51 PM
A monte Christo isn't on anybody';s diet. I "only" ate half. I haven't had anything else today. why does gooey fatty stuff taste sooooo good to me. but I do like water, too.
I wish excell had a merge and check function that was automatic. I am now printing out one copy of a file to compare against the back up because xmas got me all mixed up.
Grrrr. And it isn't EVEN monday yet. I think I'll go see what dh is doing and/or knit. NO FOOD for me. I WANT TO BE THIN. Preferably tomorrow... but I WANT IT I WANT IT.
thank you all for putting up with me. I usually have my snits privately. this one is semi-private. (the only good think I have going for me IS my hair).... Hope yours settles in, Cowgirl.

Tomorrow, tomorrow... surely things won't be so frassing annoying tomorrow.

Kiwonk
01-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Hey, we here at Cows R Us enjoy a good public snit. Carry on.

Gotta go make dinner. So I'm not here anymore, Cowp.

Cowpernia
01-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Kiwi, you are a liar. I looked online in between those posts and you were not on.

I do like snits though.

When I was a kid, were were taught not to say **** as it was a bad word. We were to say The Other Place. You are going to The Other Place is perfectly clear. Two nights ago, DS's cell phone wouldn't work so I called customer service and got a foreign nation. The people were quite nice but difficult to understand. Those spoke English just fine but concepts were not coming across and, finally, when the problem was unearthed (Ds's payment had been applied to my phone) I was dismissed and transferred to the billing department. This time, the woman spoke English like a Yankee and I told her it was so nice to hear her voice. She said, "Oh, they sent you to The Other Place." Have I been so bad?

Cowpernia
01-17-2005, 01:51 PM
I am trying to be more positive so here are some things I don't like:

1. Ads that say "if can't beat their price, we'll give it to you free." Idiots.

2. A book I picked up but didn't read because it was written in third person with a first person title. "How I ...."

3. Ads that say "less hormones." I want them to say "fewer hormones" whether it's correct or not.

4. The cancellation of that horrid show "The Will" without telling me who won the house.

5. Teenage stubbornhood that leads to cutting off one's nose to spite one's mom.

Kiwonk
01-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Kiwi, you are a liar.That's not very nice.
Have I been so bad?Yes. You called your friend a liar who signed onto AIM at your request and waited for you. You're going to India.

I'm in favor of more lists of things you don't like, in the interests of taking a positive attitude. I'm annoyed by all those things too. Well, except for The Will. That looked like a piece of :censored:

Kiwi, "Fewer Filling, Tastes Great"

Wabby
01-17-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm thawing out from a freezing rainstorm we had here on Saturday. I was so housebound that I actually almost cleaned out the spare room. And that was my weekend. Except roads were clear enough by Sunday evening for DH to take me out for some Mexican food. Leslie and I walked 4 miles Sunday am and 4 more miles today. Lotta walkin', not getting anywhere fast.

I come back here to find Peaches squabbling w/ Kiwi. I do like the idea of listing things that you don't like. Tell me more.

These are some things that annoy me:

When you ask someone (DS) to take out the trash, etc. and they say "ok" very cheerily and then don't do it.

Books that aren't good enough to finish, and yet not bad enough to put down.

When you buy fast food and they forget to put in the special sauce for whatever. french fries/ketchup - chicken nuggets/sweet and sour sauce, salad/dressing. You never discover it until you've driven at least a mile away.

Waiters that interupt your conversation constantly to ask you "how is your meal?".

Waiters that never come around once they drop off your food.

When you're giving instructions to someone on the phone and after a five minute recitation of how to get to your place of business, they say "just a minute, let me grab a pen", then you have to start all over.

When ppl (DH) calls for messages and when you start to give them to him he says in an irritated voice "just a minute, I don't have anything to write with and I'm in traffic". Duh. Why did you ask for messages????

I'm sure I have more. Let me think. :chin:

Did anyone else ever read "A Fine Balance"? I really do think India might be That Other Place.

Painty, snit away, dear. It's what we're here for. If you can't have a snit here, where else?

Kiwonk
01-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Waiters that interupt your conversation constantly to ask you "how is your meal?".

Waiters that never come around once they drop off your food. Well, exactly. Why can't they just be good at their job?

When you're giving instructions to someone on the phone and after a five minute recitation of how to get to your place of business, they say "just a minute, let me grab a pen", then you have to start all over.
Not to mention when you call up a company to get directions or information and the person on the phone asks you if "you've got a pen" :lol: I always want to say, no, I have a pencil.

How about when DH asks you the same dumb question 4 times even though you've already answered it, so you get mad at him and he laughs at you.

Or when the seemingly competent salesclerk at the book asks you if you want a bag for your rather large book you just bought and you say Yes, and she puts it in a bag that is no more than 1/2" bigger than the book. What was the point of that?

There will be no pleasing me and that's final!!

Kiwi

P.S. Today's excellent George W. Bush quote (from my calendar of Bushisms):
"Do you have blacks, too?"
--To Brazilian president Fernando Cardoso, Wash., DC, 11/8/01

Lohani
01-18-2005, 01:29 AM
How about when the basketball coach is one of those nicey,nicey types who is still cute at 45(but short...he never played b-ball) and who everyone thinks is WONDERFUL. BUT your kid is a better b-ball player than the coach's kid....so the coach refuses to put your kid into the game. THEN when your kid does get in and is cooking and everyone is cheering for him, the coach pulls him out after three minutes. THEN your kid says, "what the h*ll" for everyone in the place to hear completely taking the wind out of any argument that could be made on his behalf. aargh.

I posted today but it disappeared. I could put that on the list, too.

OH, one more thing. This nice/nasty coach has a baby from Korea. Any criticism against him is met with the remark, "but he's such a nice guy, he adopted a baby from Korea." The kids saw him shaking that baby the other day. No adults saw, just kids. Isn't that typical of that type. All nice when people are looking but shaking a baby when he thinks he can get away with it.

DD has gotten into all colleges but she hasn't heard from her first choice, yet. Everyone we know who has heard from them didn't get in, good. Rankings just came out and they got another tippy-top one, bad. They should get those AFTER she's accepted. One of the refused kids had better SAT's than DD(if the mother is telling the truth), but dd wrote a whale of an essay. Otherwise, the girl's grades were the same and she had the same number of AP credits. This is very anxiety producing.

Kiwi, she was never willing to go to any summer programs. Before her knee, she was too busy and after her knee, she wanted to enjoy what summer she had. Regardless, she's gotten into some very tough schools.

I'm going to bed.

Cowpernia
01-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Everybody from New Jersey gets into tough schools. Look at the test scores. The cutoff for NJ on the PSAT is the highest in the nation.

I want to hear about the essay.

Things I don't like:

*tbd

Cowpernia
01-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Wabbitoes, do you use Word? How can I insert a graphic into a cell of a table? It's driving the further nuts.

More things I don't like:

* People who don't say thank you or write thank you notes.

* Teenagers who take me for granted.

* That TV show where they keep performing autopsies.

* Celebrity-marriage-breakup news stories.

* Hearing that the PRESIDENT intends to invade Iran.

The Florida scouts went to Tennessee to camp and returned in agreement that snow is overrated. Froze their toesies and fingersies. Personally I know one whose mom bought him tons of warm clothes but he chose to leave some home.

SugP
01-18-2005, 02:15 PM
The Florida scouts went to Tennessee to camp and returned in agreement that snow is overrated. Froze their toesies and fingersies. Personally I know one whose mom bought him tons of warm clothes but he chose to leave some home.

He'll need those when you send him to Siberia. Which sounds like it will be any day now at the rate he's going. :lol: My kids aren't bugging me that much at all lately. No idea why. Ds11 will be 12 in Feb. so I suppose I should start getting ready for the hormonal eye-rolling storm any day now. And ds8 keeps asking me where his spleen is and what's it for. What am I? A walking encyclopedia?

FINALLY over my digestive unmentionables. Now I just have cramps of the female kind and really bad attitude. I'm looking forward to moving right on into spring feeling like cr*p.

If I told Jennifer Aniston once I told her a thousand times: "Honey, never marry a man who's prettier than you are." But did she listen? Silly tart.

Cowpernia
01-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Yep, he's prettier and Siberia is a good idea. Our good cat is Siberian. That's my cat though. Strangely, when DS was younger he made up poems with the word spleen in them. Spleen rhymes with a quite a large number of words.

Why are we all on the ZERO lost portion of our tickers?????

Cowpernia
01-18-2005, 02:27 PM
except Wabs. Wabs has lost.

Bagzz
01-18-2005, 02:40 PM
MYYYYYYYY GOODNESS!!!!---THERE are so many things i dislike,i could hardly mention them all........let me think about this---i hated it the other night when i sliced off a piece of my index finger with my new {soon to be given away} carving knife.I hated the look of that knife from the beginning and i was afraid of it-----my finger bled for at least an hour,and there was nothing to "sew up" as i actually CARVED off a piece.Was that descriptive enough for you all??? HERE IS ANOTHER REASON I LOVE ALL OF YOU!!!--- i am sure i forced all of you to send out addresses so we could send Christmas Cards----------DID I SEND ANY OUT??? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WELL,TODAY WAS THE LUCKY DAY!!!! I SENT OUT CARDS AND A LITTLE NEW YEAR TOKEN TO ALL OF MY LOVELY SWEET COWS!!! I DIDN'T EVEN WAIT UNTIL MID-YEAR AS I WAS INTENDING!!!!! don't get too excited,but i really loved getting all my cards and it's fun to point them out to my friends { i have FRIENDS from all over NOrth America and Europe!!!!}-----------it's freezing here---we had a blizzard yesterday---did you get that one kiwonk????

Cowpernia
01-18-2005, 02:45 PM
it's into the 20s here at night (probably 16 or 17 to you) so SHUT UP! I am hungry. I am grumpy. I have no life. My DS became my life and now he's off to Siberia. I need a life and I WANT YOURSSS... ALL OF YOURS < DO YOU HEAR?? I'll start with Bagzes though. Maybe Wab's as sh'es farthert from here.... no. That's Sugar. But IF GERGEE W BUSH INVADES IRAn and if her MAKES A DRAFT, DS is going to live with Bagz on his way to Siberia. If I have anything to say about it. I'm hungry. I want a Quizno's sandwich. Grrr.

*Moe's .. do you have this restaurant? I don't like it.

Wabby
01-18-2005, 02:59 PM
How can I insert a graphic into a cell of a table?

First, create a table. Then click in the cell that you want to put the graphic. Then click on insert. Click on graphic, then select your graphic and click on insert. There you be.

It has gone from fffffreezing cold last weekend w/ the nasty ice storm to balmy 64 degrees and very humid today.

What's with the new style of wearing jeans w/ pointy toed shoes???? Cruel shoes as DH would call them. That's something else that annoys me.

1. Peach, if I've ever forgotten to tell you thank you for something, I'm sorry. 2. Teenagers always take us for granted. Thats life, but they will tell you thank you later in life. 3. I like that tv show in which the lady medical examiner does autopsies. I think its so interesting. 4. Agree w/ you on this. 5. That's so reassuring that he's invading this time instead of sending all those young boys. All of this refers to Peaches post from a page back. You cows are too fast for me and by the time I got this posted, you all had moved on to other subjects.

Cowpernia
01-18-2005, 03:03 PM
It is reassuring Wabs. It will take away part of the sting of seeing him on TV at the Kennedy Center watching George Harrison be honored while Fallujah was being destroyed.

PainterWoman
01-18-2005, 10:47 PM
I did read A Fine Balance. Most Depressing book of 2004. And according to their reincarnational belief system you can get sent to The Other Place over and over and over.
I'm glad I'm not on anybody's Snit List.
A man (granted, older, but a man just the same... ) said to me this morning: I guess you don't have to go to NY or Paris to see a beautiful (!) woman drinking coffee.
Yay me. G*d only knows what he'd say if I'd already lost 100#.

I don't like bad/agressive/pre-occupied drivers.
I don't like filing. Of anything. Anywhere.
I don't like other people's rules.

Baggz-- hope your finger is better.
LowCow-- Best wishes enduring DD's wait to hear from colleges. I talked wiith a college placement coach.... she says that admissions people really look at the makeup of the WHOLE class... so even if your kid had a 1600 on the SAT, if he/she's the 4th oboe player and they only need 1, too bad... on the other hand if he/she's the ONLY oboe player and they need one... maybe a rotten essay and horrible scores are still good enough. I do believe that my DD's hotso totsy Seven Sister's school NEEDED a cowgirl from Texas. And she thrived being the representative of all that is Wild in the West... (but not SO weird as California!!! :lol:

Bagzz
01-19-2005, 09:45 AM
okay,it's freezing again---it's minus 33 celcius {what's that in farenheit??} AND there is another blizzard warning for tomorrow----------I believe I live in the next best thing to Siberia!!!SOOOOOOOOOO----Peachers,send the boy up here and Lohani ---you too--if you want to keep those baby boys from invading Iran,I volunteer to be the new Draft Dodger Hotel----we still have draft dodgers living here {most of them came up in the sixties to avoid Viet Nam and are potters and back to the landers} Their kids are all Canadians now.We are too passive to fight----we are also to cold and stiff jointed to get our fingers around a trigger---can you imagine what we would do over in the hot countries----------we are so used to freezing that we would perish at 80 farenheit.---CAN'T ANYONE STOP THE SHRUB??? did anyone see Dr.Rice get blasted from a lady senator yesterday===it was great-----John Stewart was all over it!!!{ hey--no fair that i know all this stuff about you yanks-------let's talk Canada's latest news!!!!!!!-----------I WATCHED AMERICAN IDOL LAST NIGHT.ANYONE ELSE???? BYE.{OH I FORGOT=====lohani!!!!!--we have ALOT of american students at the Nova Scotia Universities----my daughter hangs with a girl from Florida and one from Maine.----what's up with that???}

Cowpernia
01-19-2005, 10:13 AM
I heard the bashing on the rahdio. Was wonderful. What's her name Kiwi? Box?

Do Nova Scotia universities give financial aid to brightish Americans? This is a big factor. If he comes up there, you'll have to homeschool him for his bachelor's degree.

Wabby
01-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Poor Bagzie! Come to the frontier immediately. We're having record breaking warm temps here. Today it's supposed to be 65 farenheit - what's that translate to in the rest of the world? The only drawback is that you have to look at a lot of flabby white skin exposed. Ppl seem to think it's August.

Painty, Cowpers DD is a DS, and he's brilliant, so we have great expectations for him. Did I ever mention that all the herd's children are exceptional and good looking too??? Kind of reminds me of Lake Wobegon. ------- Painty isn't it wonderful what a man's compliment can do for your day? I don't care if they're older or younger or inbetween. Gives you a boost.

Leslie and I trudged thru 2 miles this morning.

I scored a good book at the dollar store today - Cane River, an Oprah's book club selection, hardbound, for only a buck!!!! I love the dollar store.

I just can't watch American Idol - it's too painful to watch ppl get trashed. Reminds me of 7th grade try outs for the special girls choral group I didn't get into. Sob.

I just checked - we're 51 degrees celcius difference between here and Bagzieland. 92 degrees difference farenheit. -33 celcius translates to -27 farenheit, 65 farenheit translates to 18 degrees cecius. I think. or I could be wrong - ask Cowper's DS. I have a headache.

SugP
01-19-2005, 02:02 PM
No university tuition! Pretty girls! Lots of pork!

Bagzieeee! Did I fail to send you a giant smoooooch for your poor, poor finger? I haven't cut myself often or seriously, but I HATE it when I get even a little cut. Did you get the doctor to take a look at it?

Painty! What a nice compliment that man paid you. I snuck a peek at the picture on your website and he's right. Lovely.

Now that I'm healthy again, I'm planning to re-invent myself. Do you know what two weeks of eating tea and toast does to your hair and skin? I look like a hag. And I lost 3 lbs which is probably only water and will be back on any second now. Must consume vast amounts of nutritious food and do yoga every day to unleash my inner goddess. Leslie has been whining for me to put her into the VCR but I don't think I can do perky at the moment. Maybe tomorrow.

Off to tidy up this tip.

Wabby
01-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Poor Sugar, I forgot to send you get well wishes. And poor Bagzie, I forgot to send you sympathy for your injured finger. Sorry, both of yas.

SugP
01-20-2005, 04:32 AM
Thanks, Wabby! I'm feeling much more chipper today. Still haven't got the tip in order though. It just never ends, does it? That's why I'm sitting here wasting time on the computer. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Lohani
01-20-2005, 07:25 AM
HI all, DD never took the PSAT's. What do you mean by cut-off? How are they scored? What is their purpose? Why didn't your kids just take the SAT? What does the P stand for? DS is entering hs next year. He has to work harder than DD. Because there is so much agony that goes with each grade, it easy not to notice how good his grades are . He will have a different ride than DD did because he is not as forceful(dare we say self-promoting?). Should I have him take the PSAT's? What year?
We have too many kids, that's why our cut-offs are high. Our population density is ridiculous. That is why I need to move to the the sunny south. It is too cold here. Why do you upper-northern types put up with this?
Must go take brats to school. bye

Bagzz
01-20-2005, 11:47 AM
i have no reason why we put up with this other than we were born here.This is the second day this week that school has been cancelled---two bliZZards on ONE week.Plus,after the snow,we will have frigid temps for several days.----I hate extreme heat as you will recall my bragginess in the summer when i can go for a walk everyday without suffocating and have no need for air conditioning.The plants and gardens last until october as it is lush all summer---------there are pros and cons and besides,if i want to live in Canada the only place to escape cold is in British Columbia and i hate gray rainy days.BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-----my dd had to write AP exams and Provincial exams but you only have to write these SATs if you want to go to an american university.WHERE IS KIWONK???????????????? I MISS HER.

Wabby
01-20-2005, 12:05 PM
I hope Kiwi didn't catch Sugar's tummy bug.

Sugar, I think the key to housekeeping is the acceptance of the fact that it is never done. Sometimes I almost feel like I've got a handle on it, then I turn around and it's totally out of control again.

I know I brag about the temperate weather here, but then there is the gray winter. There's good and bad about anyplace. We usually live where we do because that's where we started out, and once you put down a few roots, it's hard to pull up stakes and move somewhere else. If it makes you feel better, we're back down in the 50's today. And sorry, Bagzie, that probably didn't make you feel better. But how about if I tell you it's gray and rainy and I haven't seen the sun for a week even with these high temps?

I have a headache. Durn.

Kiwonk
01-20-2005, 04:22 PM
I've been horribly busy, it's a crime really. Tuesday I went to the big city with DH, who had a meeting, and bought him a birthday present and did some mega-shopping at Sams Club. Today Sam's rewarded me with a telephone spam, thank you so much. Yesterday I spent way too much time baking a cake and that stuff. Plus I haven't been sleeping very well, so I've been napping a lot during the day. Today was a snow day and I slept till 1 pm!!! I swear my days are just so fragmented I never get a thing done.

HI all, DD never took the PSAT's. What do you mean by cut-off? How are they scored? What is their purpose? Why didn't your kids just take the SAT? What does the P stand for? They don't give the PSAT in school there? Here they make them take it in 10th grade and again in 11th. The 11th grade one counts toward National Merit Scholarships -- they must have them in NJ, every state does. P means pre. And yes, they take the SAT. Supposedly the PSAT helps them know what to expect.

I am very curious, Lushie, about what schools DD got into and with what grades/class rank/scores. I wish I had a better handle on what my DD is looking at, and whether she can get in the kind of places she is starting to think about. I don't suppose you would email me such inside info?

We only had this storm last night, Bagz, but it finally looks like it's supposed to in winter (you know, all white) :lol: Sorry to hear you hacked your finger off. I did that once, still have a nice little scar and lumpy place, after 30 years.

Congrats on feeling better, Sugar! About time!

I don't mind the cold. Especially compared to the heat in NC -- all summer in the high 80s and 90s with killer humidity? Yuk. I would rather bundle up all winter than sweat all summer. Yesterday when I took DD to school the car thermometer said -9 F. It was even colder the day before because of the wind chill. The temp was right around 0 or a few degrees lower, but I almost froze to death walking to my car at the mall. I sort of forgot to take a hat with me. Bad me.

Here it is almost dark and I haven't walked with Leslie again. And DH just got home, so I won't be doing it tonight. I suk. Although I am a good cook. For his birthday yesterday, I made a German chocolate cake (which should actually be "German's" I found out), and had lovely marinated steak and baked potatoes and salad. Today it's leftovers.

I have a headache creeping up too, Wabby. Hope yours goes away. I have realized that whenever I get my period I get a headache with it, but it doesn't really get bad until I stop taking ibuprofen (for cramps). Then apparently it feels it has been given permission to become a full-blown migraine. The ibuprofen is just prolonging the inevitable I think -- I don't think it would matter if I kept taking it for a few more days, I would still get the migraine when I stopped. Oh well, feel better.

Bagz, I'm thinking of taking DD and her friends skiing for her birthday to Crabbe Mtn. Do you know what it means when they say "all prices include HST"?

Kiwi

Cowpernia
01-20-2005, 05:31 PM
HST Hawaiian Standard Time (GMT-1030)
HST Harmonized Sales Tax (Canada)
HST Harry S. Truman
HST Hastings
HST Health Sciences and Technology
HST Health Systems Trust
HST Heat Shrink Tubing
HST Helicopter Support Team
HST Henkilön Sähköinen Tunnistaminen
HST High Score Table
HST High Speed Technology
HST High Speed Train
HST High-Speed Technology (Modem)
HST History/Host (File Name Extension)
HST Hoyt's Sector Theory
HST Hubble Space Telescope
HST Hunter S. Thompson (writer)
HST Hypersonic Transport
HST Hypertropy Specific Training (bodybuilding method)

Cowpernia
01-20-2005, 05:42 PM
I know Keywie answered this but my two cents wants to talk. I am bored being home with sick boy. Some schools give a "full ride" to kids who become national merit finalists. This is approximately the top 1/2 percent of scores for each state. Each state has a different "cut off " for national merit semi-finalist because the kids do better on these tests in some places. NJ is the highest of all. These schools are possibly not ones your dd would consider anyway. Yale does not offer a thing for national merit achievement but the U of FL let the kids go free AND gives them first choice at classes. Classes are never full for these kids. It's the 11th grade score that counts but they can take it earlier .. probably as early as they want for practice. DS took it three years in a row. I'm that kind of mom as you know.

The application is coming along. One more essay needs to be written. He has willingly rewritten some others and I like them. Two of his essays were given to a teacher (by the guidance counsellor) and she marked things, wrote "I need to see you about this," and did not write one encouraging word. No "great intro." No "right on target here." Nada. He wont' go see her and I'm understanding why. One of the essays was a rewrite of a speech he wrote for speech class last sememster. He thinks she's going to complain about that. Bummer.

sugar, he wants to come live with you He likes pork.

Bagzz
01-20-2005, 06:54 PM
okay kiwonk---let's go with the harmonized sales tax just because i don't think Harry Truman is included in your package. It means that our 15% tax that is on EVERYthing so we can get a get in the hospital for free medicare card----will be added FOR you into your bill====i know that americans can get that money back if they save their receipts and mail them somewhere-------at least if they buy gifts at the market,that is what we tell them----find a site on cross border duties and the like!---------------good ds of peachers----writing his essays for mother----she has him trapped in bed with a pen and an exam tablet.

Bagzz
01-20-2005, 06:54 PM
damn ---i can't stop eating these white chocolate and cranberry cookies

Kiwonk
01-20-2005, 10:25 PM
How harmonious. So we'll pay 15% taxes, I wonder what we will gain in exchange rate. And if the HST is "included", how much you want to bet we can't get it back. Maybe I could redeem it for an aspirin.

I'm listening to Lois Lowry read the first chapter of her book "The Messenger". She sounds like Peaches without the accent.

PainterWoman
01-21-2005, 12:54 AM
I'm in a moooooooooooooood.
Crabby. AGAIN. My crabby quota is probably up. It is directly proportional to how serious I am about managing food and weight. Drat. (D*mn etc. is what I really want to say.) Even though DH and I yielded to a Chicago Style Pizza at a place new to our area... turns out it's a chain, of course... BJ Brewery. Sounds much raunchier than it actually is. Well, this part of Texas is pretty polished... so it is "suburban trendy"... or something. and Even with all that yummy cheese, dough, sausage and FAT FAT FAT, I am hungry again. The white chocolate and cranberry cookie reference has just about sent me over the edge.
Cow-girl: Thanks for all the HST possibilities. Looking at lists of acronym definitions makes me feel amazingly stupid. (Not just "dully" stupid... but truly amazed by my ignorance. Or as Baxter Black would say, as smart as a bucket of nails.
Well, TGIF almost, anyway.
I could still forage in the pantry.

Cowpernia
01-21-2005, 10:49 AM
TGIF Thank God It's Friday
TGIF Tactical Ground Intercept Facility
TGIF Thank God I'm Female
TGIF Thank God I'm Finished
TGIF Thank God I'm Forgiven
TGIF Thank God I'm Free
TGIF Thank God It Floats (Navy architects)
TGIF Thank God It's Florida
TGIF Thank God It's Free
TGIF Thank Goodness It's Friday
TGIF Today God Is First
TGIF Toes Go In First
TGIF Transportable Ground Intercept Facility
TGIF Transportable Ground Interface Facility
TGIF Turfgrass Information File

Bagzz
01-21-2005, 01:02 PM
HOW DO YOU DO THAT PEACHERS???? NO WAY DO YOU MAKE THEM ALL UP....WHERE IS THIS EFFIN SITE YOU ARE HANGING AT.{not my fault---painty started swearing first---i am going into the kitchen and throwing out the white chocolate cranberrry cookies---i ate almost the whole pack [but for three].

Cowpernia
01-21-2005, 01:13 PM
What? ! ? You don't think I know all that? ???? :mad: Welllll.... you could look at this (www.acronymfinder.com)

Now guess what ....

guess ....

NOOOO.

Herbie just called me to ask if DS would like to go to Barcelona SPAIN with him and the grandson's over Spring Break. I am speechless.

Wabby
01-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Just when you think Herbie couldn't be more of an *ss, he does something nice. What are you going to do? Does DS want to go?

I just got back from the doctor's office w/ Grandpa Jim. I'm his human hearing aid. The Dr. will ask him a question. GJ gets a confused look on his face, then looks at me. I scream the question to GJ. He looks back to the Dr. and answers. Usually I have to scream the question a few times, along w/ plenty of hand gestures before he answers. I'm sure ppl outside the Dr.'s office can hear us. After an hour or two w/ GJ I catch myself talking very loudly to everyone. Very embarrassing. :dizzy:

Kiwonk
01-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Or as Baxter Black would say, as smart as a bucket of nails.Or as Weetabix (http://weetabix.diaryland.com/) would say, dumber than a box of rocks. Oh. Nothing personal, just trying to help.

Speaking of dumb, I forgot all about making a cake for tomorrow's music recital. Oops. DD came in here to say goodnight and ask when we were leaving for the recital. Worse yet, I know I don't have enough eggs to make the frosting I was going to make. Maybe I'll have to run out and buy a can of frosting in the morning.

---i am going into the kitchen and throwing out the white chocolate cranberrry cookiesYeah, who needs cookies -- just send me the white chocolate.

I really want to go into the very cold kitchen at 11:00 at night and start baking a cake. A bullet through the temples is more appealing. Sheesh. This is all because of that snow day. Got me all screwed up. And the cold, necessitating the blasting heat in this house which has my hands all cracking apart. I've been nibbling off so many bits of dead skin from my fingers, it hurts.

There's my Crabbing! I can do more, if requested.

And since I'm crabbing, let me take this opportunity to say that I think Herbie's a creep, even if this is a genuinely nice thing to do. Are you sure he doesn't just want someone to carry the luggage? Okay, I'm just being mean. I hope it's an actual good thing.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
01-22-2005, 06:49 AM
DS's reaction was a bored-voice "Spain?"

Yes, I said.

"I don't know. What do you think?"

I'd go, I said.

"OK."

DS gets along with the grandsons and had a class with one of them last semester. That's all I know about it. I am dumber than a cup of rocks but not a whole box.

Cowpernia
01-22-2005, 06:54 AM
cute blogger, Kiwi. Talks dirtier than Bagz but funny and i love the Tinkerbelle

Cowpernia
01-22-2005, 08:31 AM
I am starting a moo thread