South Beach Diet - New to the Beach...

View Full Version : New to the Beach...

northrancher
12-30-2004, 03:12 PM
I just turned 53 last week and for most of my life was very trim and could eat anything I wanted knowing my metabolism would take care of those calories...Well, aging changed all that (started to gain a little weight(10 lbs.) at 45) and then menopause hit me like a ton of bricks!! I have gained over 30 lbs. in 2 years. My BMI is 26-27, I think, (ht is 5'10, weight is 192) and my cholesterol is 267!!! So, a friend of mine, who is an internist, told me that the South Beach Diet (which she is on) would help me lose weight and lower my cholesterol. So, here I am...

I have the SBD book and I have signed up for 24 Hour Fitness Express to get workouts in -- I'm shooting for 30 minutes of aerobics 3X a week and 30 minutes of weights 2X a week to start. I'm also walking now and plan to sign up for tennis again. I'll also start drinking lots of water...

After the holidays, I feel like I have to detox!! I ate everything knowing I was going on this diet and only gained 1lb., so that's at least good :)

Any tips or help is appreciated. I've heard from friends that they felt very, very weak on the first phase of this diet...

Also, I notice that most of you have a cute weight chart at the bottom of your messages...How do I get one of those?

Thanks all and I'm very glad to be here!

ellis
12-30-2004, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the Beach!! :wave: Good for you for getting on top of health issues right away. :hat:
Yes, Phase I can be a little taxing. You may experience headaches for a few days (sugar detox) and a temporary loss of energy.
However, the results are worth it! You'll soon lose your cravings, and will have a quick weight loss. (mostly water the first week or so, but TAKE it! :lol: )
The weight trackers are here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/
Let us know if you have trouble with it.

Come and join us on the other threads, and remember to check out the FAQ and recipe sections. :)

Ruthxxx
12-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Welcome to The Beach. Remember that beans and other legumes and dairy ARE allowed on Phase I. They help with the detox side effects.

Marianna
12-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Hi Northrancher and welcome to the beach! :)

I am sure that you will get heaps of help and inspiration from the site.. During the first phase make sure you drink heaps of water...

Barb0522
12-30-2004, 07:27 PM
Welcome to the Beach! It is very important to make sure you are eating enough especially during Phase 1. I was never hungry and still lost weight. Do make sure you eat your beans/legumes since the good carbs will keep you from going into ketosis. That will keep you from feeling as weak. Most of us started exercising after phase 1 (or at least the first week of Phase 1) but you may be able to exercise then. Check out the recipe section. Taco Bake is a great phase 1 meal and there are a lot of others there too. I cook quite a bit from the South Beach cookbook as well as recipes I have found here and on other forums.

South Beach has really helped my cholesterol. I went from 246 to 181 with great ratios of hdl/ldl.

Kryss
12-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Welcome to the beach! :D

northrancher
12-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Thank you for all the encouragement...I will browse and read the posts. I'm looking forward to getting started. I'm impressed with the significant amount of weight loss in just 6 months even...

Bamiegurl
12-31-2004, 12:16 AM
Hello! Welcome to the sand! We are glad you joined us!

Merrylegs
12-31-2004, 12:52 AM
Nice to meet you, Northrancher! :wave:

MarineTubaMom
12-31-2004, 07:51 PM
Welcome to the Beach! I am looking forward to getting to know you! You will find a wealth of information here, as well as fabulous support!

Hugs!

AmandaS
01-01-2005, 05:03 AM
Nice to meet ya! I'm a Newbie too! :dancer:

Kryss
01-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Welcome to you too AmandaS. ;)

anchor weight
01-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Welcome! Stick your toes in the sand and stay awhile! :lol: