WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 09:59 AM   #1  

Question

HELP! I need to figure out the points for this recipe as soon as possible!! I don't know how to use the Mastercook Light program yet! I am going to the store on my lunch hour (about 2 hours from now) and need to make this tonight after work. I will probably use reduced-calorie pie filling if I can find it. THANK YOU!!!!

Low Fat Cherry Delight

2 small boxes sugar-free cherry jello
2 cups boiling water
¾ cup cold water
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 20 oz. can cherry pie filling
1 8 oz. fat-free cream cheese
1 8 oz. fat-free sour cream
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla.

Combine jello & boiling water in bowl and mix until dissolved. Add cold water, pineapple and cherry pie filling. Put into 9x13 dish and put in refrigerator until set. Combine cream cheese, sour cream, powdered sugar and vanilla together until smooth and spread on top of jello.

Makes 12 servings.

THANK YOU!!
Liz (WW Lifetime 12/23/00)
[email protected]
Old 05-09-2001, 10:54 AM   #2  
imaleader

Default POINTS for Dessert

Add up all the points for the foods and divide by the number of servings. Do you have your week one book w/ points listed? 8 ounces of cream cheese is 16 tablespoons, ditto the sour cream; and just calculate based on the fact that every 4 ounces of cherry pie filling is 1/2 cup; same for the pineapple. Powdered sugar should also be listed. Or, take your points finder to the supermarket w/ you....

Old 05-09-2001, 08:46 PM   #3  

I plugged this into my mastercook and came up with 4 points per serving. I'd definitely refigure the points from the ingredients before hand though. Sounds like a good dessert to take to Mother's Day celebration!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-09-2001, 09:48 PM   #4  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default Mastercook

What's a mastercook?

Thanks!

Girlie
Old 05-10-2001, 09:57 AM   #5  

Thanks, ltlshtsmom! I went to the store and got the nutritional info on all of the ingredients and tried to figure out the points that way. I came out with 2.5 points per serving. I came up with 30 points for the entire recipe and divided that by 12. Which one would you go with? I would love to go with the lower one, but I think mastercook is pretty reliable. I also chose the light cherry pie filling and the crushed pineapple in its own, unsweetened juice. I'm not sure if that would alter the points at all or not?!?!

Girlie: Mastercook is a CD program for your computer that Cooking Light Magazine produced. You can plug ingredients into the program for recipes and it will figure the entire calorie, fat, fiber, etc. amoutns for you and then you can figure out how many points for a certain recipe. I HAVE GOT TO FIGURE THIS PROGRAM OUT!! I just haven't had the time to sit down and do it! UGH!!!!

- Liz
Old 05-10-2001, 06:42 PM   #6  

Liz

I would go with the ingredients.....I noticed Mastercook was including the FF SF Jello in the nutritional values and when figured by the package, I've always been told by my leader its 0 points. I'm gonna buy the ingredients tonight so I'll figure it and see how close I come to yours.
Old 05-10-2001, 10:06 PM   #7  

Liz

I just got back from grocery and have purchased and figured the points from the ingredients. I agree with your calculations at 30 points for the whole thing and 2.5 for 1 svg of 12. Guess I need to go back and see why my Mastercook figured this so badly! Guess I'm still a novice at that program!
Old 05-11-2001, 10:17 AM   #8  

ltlshtsmom:

THANKS!! Now I know I'm not totally crazy! I guess it shows that computers can't be trusted for everything! It would be interesting to know why Mastercook rated the Points so high. I noticed that not every ingredient (i.e. light cherry pie filling) is in Mastercook. Maybe that's the problem. I am making the dish for a Mother's Day cookout at my Mom's this weekend. My sister-in-law has tried the recipe before and said it was great. I can't wait to try it myself!

- Liz
Old 05-11-2001, 12:31 PM   #9  

Default Jello Dessert

Ladies don't forget there are different brands and can sizes of pie filling. I found that out when a Cooking Light recipe was way off last year some time. Someone sent a letter to the editor that was later published and they had used a brand I had never heard of and not available on the West Coast.

Girlie, Cooking Light Mastercook is also a computer cook book with 1400 plus recipes, a meal planner, instant shopping list and you can add your own recipes. There is complete nutritional analysis. Now I just have to learn to use mine. You can put a recipe in the program and lighten it and you will get the new nutrition info.
Old 05-13-2001, 08:54 PM   #10  

Liz and everyone

Just had to let you know I fixed this dessert for mother's day get together and it was a hit! It really does not taste low-fat and sugar free! It is a keeper! Thanks Liz for posting this recipe.

Karen
Closed Thread