Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 10:17 PM   #1  

Default SBD while Breastfeeding

Is it safe to do the South Beach diet while breastfeeding?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:37 PM   #2  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

No, it is not safe to do any diet that restricts a food group while breastfeeding. Weight Watchers has a plan for nursing mothers, I believe it's the regular flexpoints plan with 10 extra points for nursing. Remember nursing burns at least 500 calories a day. There's some very good weight loss while breastfeeding tips at the breastfeeding group at yahoo, and at kellymom.com (hope that's not considered soliciting).
Please don't put your baby on a diet. Eat a balanced diet and your body will give the baby everything he/she needs.
Hope that helps,
Kim
Old 12-29-2004, 12:02 AM   #3  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

I also meant to add CONGRATULATIONS Such a great decision and you will really enjoy burning calories while peacefully nursing your child! Sure beats an elliptical!
Old 12-29-2004, 08:37 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Toki, congratulations!!
I LOVED breastfeeding my babies... it was such a beautiful bonding time. Something that no one else could share.

I did find something about South Beach online... "Dr. Agatston states that the South Beach Diet is acceptable for breast-feeding moms as long as they have their doctor's approval. However, it is very important that they follow Phase 2 of the diet rather than Phase 1."

Certainly if you're currently eating chips and chocolate all day, a lifestyle change is a good idea where food is concerned. I would definitely talk to my doctor about it, though.
We're here for support anytime... best of luck to you, and enjoy your baby time!!
Old 12-29-2004, 09:12 AM   #5  
Learning to love ME!

I think the SBD Stage 2 is an excellent way to eat, especially when nursing, as long as you eat enough.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:34 AM   #6  

I think SBD phase 2 would be perfectly healthy for you and your baby. Dr A encourages plenty of low fat dairy products. You do not starve on this way of eating. You can still eat pasta and rice and cereals. You just eat whole grain ones. Definitely talk to your doctor about the use of artificial sweeteners. Many of us on South Beach use then frequently but there is nothing that says you have to.

I nursed my son for several years (prior to South Beach) and I found it easy to lose weight the first six months before he was eating solids. Afterwards was when I had a problem. My body thought I needed to eat the extra calories because he was nursing but the amount I was burning had cut back. I wish you congratulations on your baby and good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:56 AM   #7  

I haven't lost any weight while breastfeeding and she's 8 months old! So not fair!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:14 PM   #8  

Hi Toki...

Congratulations on breastfeeding.. I am feeding my daughter who is 2.5 years and I am doing the SBD... so huge breastfeeding supporters here!!!

The first phase isn't great for lactating mammas, but the second phase is just ideal. Heaps of vegies, lean meats and dairy is wonderful. The focus in phase 2 is all about low GI wholegrain foods, which helps to give you a steady bloodsugar which is exactly what a mamma to an infant needs. Focusing your diet on these foods (as in your way of eating) will help reduce mood swings, help reduce lathargy and also help to balance you hormones. Also when breastfeeding it is ideal to try and lose weight at under 1kilo (2 pounds) per week, take it slowly and it shouldn't impact your supply at all.

If you have any more questions your local breastfeeding association should be able to send you nutritional pamphlets or a web address to check out.

Take care.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 157/157/140

Height: 5'8"

I nursed my son for almost 6 months. I lost all my weight by my 2wk check-up and it really hasn't budged since. I was hoping that when I weaned him I would lose that 5-10lbs that you're body supposedly hangs on to but no such luck for me.

Congratulations on your baby and for giving her the best. I'm planning on getting pg again this summer and will be doing PhII throughout the pgcy and while bf'g.

Good luck!

Nat
Closed Thread