Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-28-2004, 05:24 PM   #1  

Default Exercise for busy people?

I need exercise!! I work at a desk ALL day (M-F, 8a-5p) then I go to class from 7p-10p and sit at another desk, which doesn't leave me much time for exercise. Even if I try to squeeze it between 5p-7p, by the time I go home to change & then shower again before school, I don't think I would make it on time. My goal is to have a reasonable workout at least 3 times a week & then do an active leisure activity on the weekend (bike riding, hiking/camping, etc)

I have asthma, so running is out of the question. I can't afford expensive gym memberships (nor do I have the time right now)

Is there something that I could do that would provide real results (in a matter of time, of course) I have tried stretching/yoga videos, but never really noticed much of a difference than when I just eat better and don't exercise at all. I'm looking for something that has real results when combined with eating well & doesn't have to be done for 6 hours a day. What have you all been most successful with?

All advice is welcome!
aphemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:49 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Have you tried just walking? Take your lunch hour and exercise, if you are permitted to eat lunch at your desk afterward. I only went to class 2 nights a week. But on those 2 days, I did my usual run at lunch time. Other days, when I was running after work, I would spend my lunch hour on a brisk walk. You could also evaluate your schedule to see where you can put in anything. Like...do you live close to work and/or school? Could you bike to work and school, or take the bike in your car and bike between work and school and back then drive home after? Can you get up a little early each morning and add a half hour of exercise to the morning?

There are exercises you can do at your desk, I just don't think they're extremely effective alone. So if you can find a spot that works for other exercise, that would probably be the best solution.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:15 AM   #3  
singletrack chick

while many people don't like fitness magazines (fitness, self, shape) because of the mixed messages they send, they have some fantastic mini workouts in them. i have tons of 10, 15, and 20 minute strength training as well as cardio workouts. i tear them out and keep them in a binder. invest in some at home gym equipments like resistnace bands, cords and hand weights. you can do these workouts quickly and really see results if you stick with them. if you'd like i can scan a couple for you and email them your way. just so you can get an idea.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:04 AM   #4  

ANY activity you get in is better than none at all. It's a myth that the only effective exercise takes hours per day. It's true, ideally you want a well-rounded program that incorporates cardio-vascular exercise, strength training, flexibility, etc. but sometimes we have to make compromises.

A recent study showed that a group of women who walked briskly for 10 minutes, three times per day, actually lost more weight in a month than another group who walked for 30 minutes, once per day. In terms of calorie-burning, those little bursts do more for your resting metabolism than a single, longer session. I know from experience that they do wonders for your energy level, too. That sort of routine doesn't do much in terms of cardio-vascular health -- you need at least 20 minutes in your target heart range for that. But, you could do the little bursts on your busiest days, and work in some longer aerobic sessions on other days.

There are lots of good videos around that are brief workouts ... Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds videos are typically 20 to 40 minutes. Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight (both the original and the more recent vol. 2) are divided into 20-minute sessions. Tamilee Webb's Total Stretch for Beginners DVD has 3 15-minute routines as well as a longer one.

A web site on women's fitness that is often recommended here is www.stumptuous.com/weights.html. The "rant" for this month addresses this issue EXACTLY, and I think it would be really useful info for you. The URL to the article is http://www.stumptuous.com/rantdec2004.html .
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:00 PM   #5  

Thanks everyone! This is enough information to get me started.

I guess I'd better get used to wearing my Skechers with my work clothes!

I wouldn't mind doing exercises at work (like the weights!) but I share an office with 3 other people... so they would think I'm nuts. However, I will try to fit in some walking & see how that goes. =)

Thanks again!
aphemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:19 PM   #6  

you've just reminded me about my resistance band (used it for stretching after running earlier in the year...) I'm off to get it out... thanks! I'll have a look for some exercises with it.
Purple Hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:26 PM   #7  

There is a book called "The Spark" based on the notion of doing 4 - 6 ten minute intervals of exercise per day. It was inspired by the research someone quoted above. Here's the link to Amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books where you can order a used copy for seventy-four cents.
lhendricks is offline   Reply With Quote