Support Groups - Battle of the Bulge #5

View Full Version : Battle of the Bulge #5

Crime girl
12-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Hi everyone!!!!
Here is our new thread- enjoy!
I am going to attempt to get us all back on track and ready for the New Year..
I propose that we add to the day's themes by making :
Monday- support day and a good day for tips on staying motivated
Tuesday- support day and a good day for reasons why we want to lose- I think that keeps us motivated more than anything when we reexamine why we want to lose..
Wednesday- "what have I been eating all week day" and I want to start trying to get everyone to share quick recipes or tips on cooking that work for them.
Thursday- "what I have done to move my bootie day" and I want to get everyone to start giving us an idea on how they work exercise into their lives and the things they enjoy doing.
Friday- support and influence day- lets make this a day we talk about anything or anyone that influenced our weight loss for the week- things like friends giving bad foods or a partner that supported our efforts.
Saturday- recap day- lets talk about the things we thought worked for us for the week and those that didn't- this might help us see where we strayed and where we stood firm.
Sunday- weigh in day and reaffirm goal day- give us an idea of your goals for the week, month, and long term.

How does this sound??? If anyone has a better idea for a day let me know and I will alter it. I will try to remind everyone everyday what the day's theme is and get us started. I just want us to have something everyday we are focusing on- if you don't want to partcipate in what we are doing that day- that is OK too- don't stay away from the board though- talking and support are by far the most important things in my book. :D

Okay- well I will start with this week's weight in- I am at 286 and I am back on track after the turmoil of parents etc. My goal is to lose to 283 by next Sunday and to 270 by January 31st. Another short term goal is to lose to 215 by May 5th when I graduate and to lose to 160 by Oct 31st.

Well- I am going to go- hope to hear from you all today. I miss talking to everyone but we all have lives I know..
Thanks everyone for their support and kindness-
Today's question is : If you had to give yourself a superhero name what would it be??
Mine would be Studygirl- able to read thousands of books in a single sitting- defender of all text. :lol:
:spin: :spin: :spin:

stormy1
12-27-2004, 12:12 AM
Hi :D Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. We made it back home but our luggage did not :mad: I decided to not weigh myself today b/c I know I gained weight since Thursday :mad: I ate so much! Back on track in the AM :coffee:

Red balloon, are you okay? I just read about the tsunami. Let us know what is going on.

redballoon
12-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Just a flyby to say I'm OK. I know there was a tsunami in Sumatra. I think. That must be what you mean, right? Have been away from TV, news so don't really know. But I think it was only Sumatra. Thanks for thinking of me. Later. :wave:

redballoon
12-27-2004, 08:07 AM
Heh people, I was just checking out some Web sites on the tsunami. Pretty scary, huh. That's way far away from Japan but a guy at work was just in Sri Lanka for vacation. I thought he'd be shaken as he was out there on the Indian Ocean surfing. I called the office but he wasn't there. Guys said he wasn't shaken. Apparently, this guy, a South Africa, left Bali just before that big bomb blast and he was in South Africa driving with a friend and got out of the guy just before that guy was in a major accident. Weird,huh? I'd be totally freaked. OK, just wanted to jump in to share. . .

little grasshopper
12-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi guys! I am finished with all the travel and now have company at my house. Stranded travelers on their way to VA. No one in my family knows how to drive in ice at all and they just got 6 inches of snow where mom is headed. She is going to try to leave later today. I need another day off........

I did OKAY on my diet. I'm having a hard time getting 100% back on track though. I think I'll start with fruit for breakfast again. That seemed to work well getting me started. I did walk both days. Probably not the full amount of time I'm directed to but it was something. It the idea is to help with stress - walking around a target at CHRISTMAS doesn't do much to help :)

I am not getting on the scales because I don't want to go through what I went through kicking myself constantly because the scales won't budge. Every sinlge day I felt good about myself and confident about my weight until I got on the scales. It's not like I'm checking to see how much cheating I can get away with. I can't cheat :)

I might get on the scales after next week though :) Get through the new year. I"m going to a friend's house and she is good about cooking for her guests dietary needs. We'll probably grill some meat ang veggies - perfect :)

Redballoon - I think that guy should check his rear end for a horse shoe! :) Glad you had a good holiday!

Michiemish
12-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Hey everyone,

Hope everyone had a good christmas. I had to work. People calling complaining about stupid stuff..glad the holidays are pretty much over so can get back into routine..I'm scared to go to my WW meeting..But I know i should go..Just so that i don't break any habits..Cuz I know if i don't go this week.I'll say to myself next week that its ok not to go and then it will be just a rollacoster..So i guess that is my tip on staying motivatec if u really don't want to do something that is your normal routine on diet and exercise, I think your should still do it, so at least u can look at yourself and say you did it instead of looking at yourself and being upset because you didn't do it...If that makes any sense..Too early in the morning..

If i could give myself a super hero name i think i would be stay positive girl...because no matter what happens i always try to smile...

Talk to u guys later :grouphug:

little grasshopper
12-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi guys!

Michie - good for you, going to the meeting. I imagine more people are in the same boat, than aren't...does that make any sense?? I'm certainly there. I had Bf hide the scales and all the bad candy he got for Christmas....then my mom wanted to leave all these candy bars for him. She wanted me to give them to him. I kept telling her they can't stay in the house or I'll eat them - before he gets home. It's like a sad addiction only it's to chocolate or sugar.

Doggies are loving the snow. It's making my hands too cold to type :) We only have a dusting but Maggie has never seen snow. She comes in with a muddy face from trying to drag her hose through the snow. Took her FOREVER to figure out where she wanted to go potty this morning!!

I am eating much better today. I feel slightly more in control. Not back yet but getting there. I liked the "in control" me better.

If I had to pick a super hero name it would have to be something like "volcon grip girl....able to ease pain or stop evil doers with a single squeeze of her super strong hands" :) Sorry, it's all I got and my super hero hands are freezing and tired today :)

Stormy - I am taking the advise and taking a rest day. I do have to work on a friend but she's an easy massage. I have told the office I'm MIA until 2:00 tomorrow and I'm destressing from mom's visit and resting my body so I can go at it again.

OH - after eating two pieces of pie (small pieces, I promise) on Christmas day I sat down to relax, only to feel my heart going CRAZY!! It was pounding in my chest. I won't do that again! It didn't feel good at all!! I looked around at my mostly overweight family and wondered how in the world they don't feel the pounding they ate 4 times as much as me!!! They did boycot my salad. Too healthy I think. Greg and I loved it and it meant I got to bring a salad home that had GOOD olives and GOOD goats milk cheeses in it. It's a YUMMY salad :)

okay, I've been gone too long, I could ramble forever today....I'm going to watch the chic flicks I rented. :) Talk to everyone later :) Meri

SthrnBelle
12-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Hi, girls! Sorry I went MIA after my first post. I was iced in at home for four days! I don't like the computer at home after being on it at work all of the time.

This week to stay motivated, I am going to remind myself how great I felt when I was eating healthy and exercising regularly. The fact that my "big" jeans were tight yesterday is also going to motivate me this week. I only kept one pair of my larger size jeans to help me not gain all of the weight back.

Grasshopper - I know how your family feels about driving on the ice. I didn't want to come to work this morning because our parking lot at the apartments was still iced over in most places. :o

Crime girl
12-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Hi everyone!! :D

I just wanted to pop on and see what is up with everyone. I have been doind pretty well on my eating plan and I am excited about this new start I am making.

Sthrn Belle- Don't worry about it! Just hop on when you can - we are always happy to hear from you. I am glad you are motivated and ready to get busy in the New Year losing weight. :D I know what you mean about the tight jeans- I am getting ready to hit a point when I will need a crowbar to put mine on and BOY is that motivating to me.

little grasshopper- I like your superhero name- really good! I am glad you stuck with your eating plan for the most part and if the family can't recognize what sounds like a yummy salad- it just means more for you. :lol: I am so jealous of your snow- I miss it so much. My dog has never seen it and I can't wait to see his face when he has to go outside in it. He is so prissy now about rain that he will hold it until he explodes rather than go. :lol:

Michimesh- So glad you got to pop in. Go to your WW meeting- you are right- it will make you feel better when you look in the mirror. On top of that it will inspire all of us to keep with it. :)

stormy- I hope you finally got your luggage- how was the trip?? tell us all about it. :D

red balloon- I am glad you weren't involved in the tsunami and your friend is unbelievably lucky. The news over here have been showing pictures of the people killed and they estimate it at 22,000. It is so horrific! How are things with you? how about on the job front? Are things looking better?

Well- I better go- the bf is waiting for me and getting impatient. I hope you all had a great day..
here are my tips for motivation:
Picture of self on fridge
Info on the damage being overweight can cause on bathroom mirror
Pic of self in bikini (good for running off bugs too) :lol:

Who else has some tips??? I really need all the help I can get...
More later-

stormy1
12-27-2004, 05:36 PM
HI :p Hope everyone is having a great day. The trip was good. I can't remember if I mentioned it earlier but it snowed on Christmas :D South Louisiana has not seen snow on Christmas in 50 years. It barely even frosts there (I am from the very bottom of the state along the Gulf). So it was a special treat. Kids ( most of them never saw snow in their lives) were running around playing in it screaming "this is the best Christmas ever!" I had a snow ball fight. Lots of fun!!! I ate really bad but I did exercise.

My stay motivated tips:
I keep a picture of a fitness model on the wall of my workout room
I used to keep a picture on the fridge also but I began to notice my husband was gaining weight from visiting the fridge more often :lol:
I think about the people in my life who I have lost from heart disease, diabetes, and cancer

My nickname would be mutlitask girl. I always do fifty things at once. Now if I can be any superhero it would be one who has an unbelievable memory and could recall anything at a moment's notice :smug:

redballoon
12-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Hello there all! Have been reading all the posts, just had no time to reply. Thanks Crime girl, for your motivating force and all the thought you've put into helping keep us motivated. With a thread like this it's hard to let things slide. Everyone rallying around the weight loss goals is fantastic, especially this time of year when the majority of people are letting themselves go until the new year.

Okay, even though it's already Tuesday here, I'll do the Monday thing because I'm behind and you all are still on Monday. To keep myself motivated I'm going to start trying to think of new clothes I can buy and the great outfits I'll be able to wear. I would love to have some designer suits (or cheaper versions that look the same!), really greatly cut suits that still look feminine. I love tailored clothes but have never worn them because I always have ended up wearing baggy things. Recently, I've been starting to get a nice jacket here and there and people always compliment me. But I can't keep wearing the same thing, or the same look. I need some variation BUT haven't wanted to because it means having a lean body to pull it off. So, one of my motivators will be cutting out photos of clothes and looks I like and keeping a scrapbook. Now if I can just get doing it!

Also, as an image booster, every day I'm going to write up a little fantasy, a little daydream that specifically involves me looking the way I envision me at my best, living that look and feel. I'll write it in a notebook and soon I will be there! Yeah!!

As for my nickname, I think it'll be MIDAS TOUCH. It would come from me just being so successful in everything I do, everything I touch that people would be saying that's what I must have. Money and class abound! :smug: And as an editor and writer, it would be that every story I write is great, every story I edit, every headline I touch is transformed into an impressive bit of writing. You bet!! Yeah, she's got the Midas touch!! :spin: And, because I know that King Midas' gift got out of hand, my touch will also work for others. They will hanker to just get near me because it DOES rub off!!

Okay, gotta go. Will write more later. Good luck everyone! :sunny:

little grasshopper
12-27-2004, 10:11 PM
HI all!! It's so exciting reading everyone's posts. Like I'm not in this battle alone. BF is currently hiding the Christmas Candy AGAIN. :) I walked in and caught him with it :) That I don't mind at all but I can't yet be trusted around the yummy stuff.

What motivates me? I forgot to post earlier.

1. I "meditate" on being the person I strive to be. Making good food choices, making positve exercise choices. Being strong and healthy and being patient and kind.

2. I set rewards that are not food related. 1. when I can fit into "this" pair of jeans without a fat roll I will get a facial. When I can fit into them straight out of the dryer I will go get a new hair style including stylist...things like that. When I've hit my goal weight and have been at it for a year I will book a spa weekend at a resort I've been dieing to go to. It's inexpensive but still a real treat :) One worth EARNING.

3. Keep picture of me from my backpacking/black belt days. I've been there and can be again.....

4. I stay on this board as often as possible!

Have a great night - I'm off to find the Christmas candy again :) just kidding!

stormy1
12-27-2004, 11:10 PM
The Christmas candy/cookies are all being sent with my hubby to work first thing in the morning :angel:

redballoon
12-28-2004, 04:45 AM
Hi all! I was thinking I should get some goals going here. So, I've thought of one.

1. Fit into the jeans I fit into back in 1983. And, yes, although the zipper is broken I still have them! That would be so cool to get back into them. AND, I want to be leaner than I think I was then. Goal date, hmm. I think that means I've got around 12 kg to lose. One kg is 2.2 lbs. So let's say about 25 lbs and have muscle. So by summer should be an easy goal. So, rust-color jeans by summer! Yeah! And I don't mean squeeze into them so the new zipper I'm going to put in 'em breaks again! I mean, have them comfortably loose!

Crime girl -- speaking of goals, good luck on meeting yours. How do you plan on getting there? Are you following a specific regime or counting calories? 16 lbs in a month? Isn't that a bit fast? Well, in any case, good luck! oh, and you in a bikini photo "good for running off bugs!!!" you crack me up!! :rofl:

And, I've decided not to worry about the job front anymore. Don't know if I mentioned it but I had another talk with the boss about him pulling me off that work that I had wanted to do. I pretty much laid into him, or rather, just really let him know how unhappy his decision made me. He later sent me an email saying he was a fool and that he had had his reasons and that he namely needs me for other things and will consult with me. Well, I'm not holding my breath. He always "needs me." What he doesn't seem to understand is that I'm no longer willing to comply as readily as I did in the past. I mean, sure I like the guy, but I don't like any guy enough to jump when whistled for. No way!! And right now there was a call on my cell phone and it looks like the work number and I ain't answering. I said I wouldn't do this special work for him and he practically begged me to. If he wants me to he can beg for sure!! :rofl: I tell you, 2005 is going to be MY year. I'm going to have a great year, I've just gone and decided! :smug:

little grasshopper -- Ok, good for you for doing OK on your diet. Having family over is very tough on diets. And I think you're smart not to get on the scales. You KNOW when you've done everything well and you'll KNOW when you've lost pounds or inches and it is really only inches that matter. Pounds just come along with them eventually, emphasis on the "eventually!!"

Glad to hear you're getting back in control. I like you nickname you picked too! Wow, you must really be sensitive if sugar affects you like that! Do you exercise and is your heart OK? I wonder what the heart racing is from. I do know that when I've been off sugar that it will give me a giddy heart-racing feeling but I don't know if my heart rate is actually up or not. Hmm. Interesting.

Heh, I really enjoy reading everyone's posts too. It's like we've got a great little family here. I look forward to turning on my computer and reading hopefully lots of loooong posts! It's things like reading your goal of fitting into jeans "without a fat roll" or "right out of the dryer" and knowing just what you mean and how great that would feel to do.

Stay away from the candy!!! It's poison. Makes your skin gross too. You know, you can tell when you've been eating sugar. It makes your skin puffy like and the pores larger. Really! When you totally cut sugar from your diet you lose a good 5 lbs just of water weight because the sugar makes you retain water, puffing you up. I don't know why but it does.

michiemish -- too bad you had to work on Christmas. I did too but I snuck off! My paycheck will reflect my ways next month! yes, go to your WW meeting! Meetings are not just about losing weight and recording the fact. They're about helping you lose, again, EVENTUALLY! It doesn't make sense to stay away. They have those no weigh passes, right? You can take that if you think the scale will be a discouragement.

sthernBelle -- Good to see you back, all thawed I hope. Tight big jeans. Now that is a scary thought! Good luck. You can do it. Go for it! :cheer:

stormy -- glad you had a good trip. weird. snow in southern Louie! Tres bizarre!! sounds like a lot of fun. Excellent move on the Christmas candy! Send that stuff packin'!! Svelte you just doesn't eat that stuff anymore!

stormy1
12-28-2004, 09:12 AM
Red balloon, I love your positive attitude in the last post. I am also relieved that you are okay, especially since you travel so much and this thing hit six countires. The devastation is unbelievable.

stormy1
12-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Reasons I want to lose:
1) Health
2)to start trying to get pregnant at the the end of next year(I do not want additional weight on top of what I have now)
3)more energy
4)shorts! bathing suits!

little grasshopper
12-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Morning everyone! It actually got out of bed to come read these posts :) Now THAT'S motivation :) Thanks guys!!!

Redballoon - My heart is great! And I do exercise. I have never had the racing heart thing but it did it over thanksgiving and also over christmas. I've heard a lot of people at work that are following the plan say that it's something that happened to them when they cheated. It's wasn't a really strong feeling I just realized it was happening - like a flutter, over and over for about 2 minutes. It hasn't done it since. I think we're all that sensitive to things that I ate...we just get use to eating them. I'm not talking veggies here :) :) I ate a small piece of pumpkin pie and also cheese pie from box. YUMMY but I haven't had anything preserved in a long long time. Everything I've touched has been fresh.

Okay I now have no clue how much I weigh. :) I think I'm down but I don't know. I'm going with down :)

Reasons I want to lose:

1. Health. I want to live - not just age.
2. Rock climbing and Cycling....those extra pounds make both a lot harder on my body than they need to be!
3. Why to look sexy, of course :)

My main goal is to be better to my body. It carries me through life and I want to take better care of it and respect all that it can do.

Stormy - hope you enjoyed the snow!!! Do you realize you've lost 1/3 of your weight?? In no time you'll be half way there :) :) You're doing great!!! And you've made it through the really tough holidays now - imagine what is to come!!

Crime girl - I'm so glad you're all better and the family trip was good. How long until you're back in school?

Michie - I'm really impressed with how you are handling your weight program and everything else you have going on! You set a great example that eating and hardships do not have to go together. I agree with Redballoon - you need those meetings MOST when you don't want to go! I hope you do. We all stumble....we all DID stumble!! What is a support meeting is they can't be there when you actually NEED the support! You're doing a great job!!!!

Hello to anyone I've missed - it's not intentional...i'm straight out of bed and not retaining thoughts well yet! See everyone soon!!!! It's COLD here so I'm off to walk around the mall. I'll get extra exercise trying to avoid the lotion booth at the center.....those sales people will chase you down to put lotion on you! ;)

Crime girl
12-28-2004, 09:37 AM
I am pumped up today and I am going to be a weight losing machine today!!!
This board gives me so much motivation- thank you everyone!

Red balloon- I love your post- upbeat and inspiring. Keep up the positive- you are keeping me pumped up about doing this. To answer your question- yes, it is a lot of weight to lose. I am one of those people that need to be challenged to get things done. I love to take a goal that is hard or darn near impossible and beat it so I am setting my goals high. I am going to try my best to meet them- if I set them lower I will stop when I reach them. :D
I am glad to hear that you are feeling in control of the work situation. I know work can stress you out sometimes- you keep your ground and we are cheering for you! :cheer: Also- you are going to feel so wonderful when you fit into those jeans!! You can do it! 2005 is all yours (well and mine - all of ours) but definitely yours!

stormy- send that candy away! You go! I like your reasons to lose especially the fact that health is number 1. I think we get so wrapped up with how we look that we forget that to look good we have to be healthy. On top of that- health should be number uno for us all. Excess weight can make your life shorter- just about everything bad health wise is more prominent with excess weight. :)

little grasshopper- I like your idea to meditate on what I will look like thinner and healthier. That is a really good one for me too- I am just now starting to get into meditation for stress relief. It is not as easy as one might think- especially if you are a type A personality like me and have a hard time shutting everything off and not thinking about a thousand things all the time.

Okay- well I better get my behind dressed and get to work- I am running late. Today is Tuesday (for everyone except red) so it is motivation and reasons we want to lose! stormy got us started-Thanks stormy! ;)

My reasons to lose weight:
1. Health and long life
2. Balance in my life
3. Ability to do anything I want without restriction
4. Look good for graduation
5. Diabetes control
6. Fit into my clothes
7. More confidence

Have a wonderful day everyone!! I work all day but I will try to post from there- if I can't I will on after 6pm. Try to not miss me too much! :lol:
Thanks for all the support everyone- you make a real difference in my life.

SthrnBelle
12-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Good morning, girls. I only have a minute, but I still wanted to read your posts and make a quick note on why I want to lose weight.

1. To be healthy
2. To fit into my clothes
3. To feel more confident

redballoon
12-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Ugh, It's morning and I feel pretty ill. Must be coming down with a cold or flu. Throat is sore. Cloudy day today, looks like rain. I have to go riding, well, don't HAVE to but want to as it's my last chance for a week. They close over New Year's. Well, here's hoping I can wrap up the year on a good note. Everything is harder when you feel ill, isn't it? Will check in later. Take care! :wave:

little grasshopper
12-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Redballoon - I hope you're feeling better. did the ride help at all? Getting to spend time with your horse?? You're right - things are much harder when you don't feel well. Hang in there. You're doing so great!!!

Sthrnbelle - Glad you popped in!! Seems we all have the same reasons for wanting to lose - good reasons too!! We're here for you!

Crime girl - you're so pumped!!! It's great!!! I'm glad you're feeling better and enjoying your journey!!

I'm doing well. Had several people notice I've lost weight. That felt GREAT! Checked out a new gym today. I have a free pass for one month. I'm going to go tomorrow a.m. I don't think I'll sign a contract with them because it looks like a crowded gym and it almost the same price as gyms that offer much more than these guys do. They do include "access" to a massage therapist. You stil have to PAY HER and it's MORE EXPENSIVE than mine - so I explained that I already have ACCESS to about 200 massage therapists that are cheaper. Anyway, for the next month I have a gym. :)

Talk with everyone soon!

stormy1
12-28-2004, 08:42 PM
HI everyone! Hope your day has went well.

Red balloon, take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon.

Crime girl, way to go... you sound pumped up!

Little GH, hope that gym works out for you. Isn't it exciting when people notice that you are losing? Thanks for the encouragement about the 1/3 weight. When you look at it that way it is very encouraging.

Well I decided to weigh myself. I couldn't Sunday or Monday b/c I feared that I had gained weight over the holiday, but I decided to buckle up and step on the scale.
Well I auctually loss a pound. Woohoo!

Crime girl
12-28-2004, 11:51 PM
How is everyone tonight? I made it through the whole day without cheating once and I am STILL PUMPED!! I am now playing the Rocky theme song in my head for motivation and I am ready to change in the new year! :jig:

stormy- Congrats on the weight loss instead of a weight gain. I am glad that you are still moving in the right direction. :D

little grasshopper- You are certainly being smart about the gym. Try before Buy I always say! You really can't lose since you get the month for free. It is funny they are advertising massages to you. Little do they know! :lol:

red balloon- Get better soon!! I feel for you! I really hope you got a ride in because I think that it is the best thing to lift your spirits. :D Take care of yourself!

Sthrn Belle- Just happy to hear from you. I think your three reasons pretty much hit the nail on the head for all of us. ;)

Okay ladies- tomorrow is Wednesday (for those of us in the US) and it is "What in the heck have I been eating?"day. Let's start by giving each other an idea of what kind of plan we are following. I know what most of you are doing but let's check in and write out our food plan as best we can. I don't know about you all but I think it will help me stay on track. :D

I will start tonight-
I am trying to stay under 1200 calories and eat nothing fried and as little refined sugar of any kind that I can. For me this means- no cokes, fast food, convienance foods etc. This is a big change from my typical diet- especially not eating out on food that is bad for me. I am trying to eat as natural and raw foods as I can. I am trying to get away from anything processed. I am also trying to drink as much water as I can. That is pretty much it for me.

Okay-well I need to go to bed. My bf's truck is broken down so I get to get up at 6 am to take him to work so I can have my car tomorrow.
Thanks so much for all the support and kindness- you guys really inspire me to keep on losing..
The question for tomorrow is:
What are the top 5 things that make you happy that you can not buy in a store?

Mine are:
1. family
2. sitting on my porch in the Fall brisk air
3. my dog cuddling with me
4. working on my novel on my computer
5. curling up in my favorite chair and rereading one of my favorite books.
Corny but true...

stormy1
12-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Hi!

Well my plan is 1200-1500 cals/day. I allow one cheat day/week when I can eat whatever I want to eat (Mexican food, Chinese food, Italian food, desserts, whatever I want). I try to stay away from high carbs during the rest of the week (ie pasta, rice, bread, sugar). I eat lean meats,veggies, EAS low carb shakes, Zone bars etc. during the week. My plan also consists of working out 6 days a week for 45-60 mins. I alternate with strength training, elliptical, cardio videos, and Pilates. I get bored easy so I need variety.

Things I love that can not be bought:
my relationship with God, my husband, my family, my friends, my animals, my job, any type of water ( I love the ocean), starry nights, I could go on and on. There are so many wonderful things that are free!

stormy1
12-29-2004, 12:21 AM
Crimegirl, oops, you said five things. Sorry! Are you writing a crime/mystery novel?

redballoon
12-29-2004, 02:38 AM
Hi people. You've probably all hunkered down for the night but here I am, going on 3 p.m. Wednesday afternoon and it is snowing like crazy! Yuck! Tokyo grinds to a halt with snow and I can't ride! :mad: Went out to the riding club though I thought I may get rained out. The rain turned to snow (I didn't even know they were expecting any!) and so I couldn't ride. Oh well, the truck with the wood chips came and had I been riding the horse would have been freaking out and that may not have meant things would end on a good note. Instead I took the opportunity to give my horse carrots without taking her out to work and then cleaned tack, took the bridle totally apart and cleaned the saddle and my boots. So, it wasn't a wasted morning. Now, back, just had a sweet potato with butter, yummy and now am catching up with you oh so prolific ones!

Oh yeah, I never did the Tuesday thing, reasons to lose weight (get the body I want, oh yeah, baby!) Hmm. let's see, well, there are the usual ones, which you've all nailed already and then some and I agree and second all of them (with the exception of trying to get pregnant! :bb: :fr: , health, looks, fitting into clothes, so I'll add:

(whoops, just swallowed a mouthful of tea the wrong way! have you ever tried to cough with a whole mouthful without it spraying all over the place?! well, I did it!!! :cb: ) Okay, getting back, sounds like I'm on a caffeine buzz or something and I'm NOT. I have stayed off the stuff 'cept for the morning electro-shock-treatment-like megadose. Even bought some fancy (read expensive) ground caffeine-free beans on the way home. I thought what the heck. May even start doing a real connisseur-like grind for each cup thing.

Okay, getting back to my reasons for losing weight:

1. Because I want to be judged on my looks! and THEN when I've got all these superficial, shallow types sniffing around paying me all their compliments and realizing that heh, there's a whole lot more than looks going on with this chick, I can then just give 'em the coldest shoulder I can muster and send them on their sweet shallow way! :s: You see, now it's the other way 'round. People sniffing around knowing there's a lot to me but if I don't want to buddy up they come out with the low shots.

2. So I can enter a horse show (also true literally, because the riding club head doesn't want any chubbies riding for his club) and not have to avoid the mirrors during my test and afterward be able to look at the photos of me getting my blue ribbon without having to pretend it was a bad shot that made me look fat. That would be hard to do with the video! And so people don't look at me when I say I ride and (because they only think of skinny little jockeys) think how can she possibly ride!? (kind of the shallow type there as well.)

3. So I can buy tons and tons of great-looking clothes AND so I can buy them here too if I like because here the fancy clothes tend to come no bigger than a size 6. I mean, that's like tops and if you're bigger the store clerks turn up their noses and say, "oh, I'm afraid we don't carry anything bigger than a 6!" and look at you like you're just the lowest form of life form that ever did crawl into their store!

4. So I can feel free, totally free and not have to think about what roll of fat is showing or how big my butt looks or how much my thighs resemble Redwood trunks or if someone takes a picture of me with my chin pulled back that there may seem to be the semblance of a double chin! Ee gads!

stormy -- glad you like my positive attitude. I'm just trying to feel better, stop thinking so much, just feel good and just ignore things around me, just deal with them and not allow them to catch me, drag me down and stomp on me. Don't know if I'll be able to maintain at the workplace from **** though. Gonna try tomorrow.

Thanks for thinking of me. Yes, I feel a lot better. Congrats on your weight loss. You've been doing good, right, eating well? Keep it up. You can do this. :flow1:

Yeah, that tsunami was bad. Actually, I hear that the area never gets them and so didn't have any warning systems in effect. They're now asking Japan for theirs. Japan has quakes all the time and the first thing you do after a tremor if you live near the coast is switch on the TV to catch the report and see if a tidal wave is on the way. Even so, sometimes they come too fast and/or people pooh-pooh the danger. There was a quake up on the northern island of Hokkaido a few years ago and the tidal wave killed a lot of people.

You know, I don't travel much at all stormy. In fact, I rarely do. You just hit me at a traveling kind of time and yeah, I do little overnights in the area and sit in trains a lot but that Hong Kong trip was the first time out of the country in a year.

little grasshopper -- Yes, thanks, I do feel much better even though I didn't get to ride. I always feel depressed when I can't ride but today I just tried to blast that feeling away by focusing and thinking of things that made me feel good and I'm trying a new thing that sounds kind of schizo or like I've been doing too much acid or something but I've been just practicing feeling GOOD, for no reason, just to practice the feeling, just to remember! the feeling and then think of things that would make me feel that way, NOT things that happened that I can . . . well, yeah maybe if I start taking Zoloft or Prozac or start nipping on the sherry from early in the day. . . feel good about. No, that just doesn't work. Instead I've been thinking of fantasies of things that would absolutely knock my socks off. I had the idea on Christmas, remembering the way all the presents under the tree made me feel. Well, I've been writing up little fantasies (heh, some of 'em I'm going to submit to Playgirl! :lol: ) about things that would have be getting that giddy, oh so happy feeling. So, I've been writing up little scenarios of me unwrapping presents that go like, poof! instant dream, instant fantasy of the things I would LOVE to have, do, but most importantly things that would make me FEEL fantastic.

And OH, YES!! that is so GREAT :cp: :cp: that people are noticing you lost weight. And it's no fantasy. Those are the best ones!! Good for you! :bravo:
Hope you enjoy the gym, if even for a month. You can do a LOT in a month.

Crime girl -- Ok, good luck on the weight loss. I understand your wanting to set a goal high. I'm the same. Just don't set yourself up for a disappointment. I'm going to write more on your later post later.

SthrnBelle -- good to hear from you and thanks for writing your reasons for losing weight. Good luck to you!

______

OK, this is getting long so I'll be back later to write more and continue catching up! :stress:

:wave:

little grasshopper
12-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Hi everyone!! top of the mornin to ya!

It's still COLD outside. Guess I need to head further south if I want warm huh. I'm trying to get motivated to leave my house. I never did do the belly dancing DVD last night. BF took the TV and then wanted to watch a movie with ME. Made it like a special midweek date night or something. More important than a belly dancing tape for sure! We had a great night.

Crime girl - I'm with stormy, what kind of novel? That's very exciting. congratulations on your cheat free day! that's a huge step so close after the holidays!!! You're doing great!!

Stormy - you lost weight over Christmas - I want some of what you're on :) All that exercise and moderation in eating paid off :) :) You are doing so well!!!! Tell me your jeans are fitting better :) Bet that butt looks great too :) :) good for you!

Red balloon - don't do the fantasy thing while driving dear. It sounds wonderful though!! I try to spend a bit of time each day letting go of whatever is making me angry or tense. I use to be a very angry person. I'm in the perfect field though. Most of my life has soft relaxing music in the back ground, with a low lit room and a warm table. It's a wonder I don't fall asleep on these people! :) seriously though, I have seen a big change in my overall happiness since I started thinking about the things I hold on to and why I'm still harboring those feelings. I really enjoy it. :) I guess I practice contentment instead of contempt :) :)

okay, 5 things that are free.......my dogs (although very expensive to care for), my relationship (CG I put the dogs first, just for you), my job, time in nature - sunsets from a cliff side campfire, in the middle of the smokies, piece of mind.

What I'm eating....still on the allergy diet. All foods organic and fresh, only grain is rice, lovely rice. Fruits are prunes and pears, and raw nuts. I also don't combine grains with protiens or fruit. Eat fruit all alone and then either have meat and veggies or rice product and veggies. Makes digestion easier and speeds weight loss. :) challenging but once I got the hange of it it's much easier. Also I feel sluggish now when I combine foods. So I'm much better for it.

okay off to the gym!

stormy1
12-29-2004, 10:04 AM
Good morning everyone!

Red balloon, I heard that you can get nice designer clothes in that area for much cheaper than the States, is that true? Size 6, c'mon? Are you serious? Now are the size 6's the same as a six in the States?

Crimegirl, I see that you lost a pound. Congrats! Are you getting to do your 30 mins. of exercise each day? If you follow your plan plus the exercise you should start seeing atleast a 2 pound/week weight loss. Are right, what is the novel about. Now you have us all curious.

Little GH, bellydancing sounds fun. I am sure that it is a great workout. Plus it is very sexy. Can you get your BF to work out with you? I know that he rides bikes so maybe you two can workout together? Even with the weight I have lost I still do not feel like my jeans are feeling much looser which is very discouraging. However, yesterday my hubby complimented me on my butt. He must be on crack or something. I am not sure if he was serious or if he has just seen me cut back on my food and up my exercise or maybe he just wants something, who knows?

I hope everyone has a great day. Stay positive, eat clean, exercise!

Crime girl
12-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone! How are you this bright and beautiful day?
I got up at 6 am this morning to take the bf to work and have been busy getting things done since then. I went to the grocery store at 7 am and bought all kind of food that is good for us. I think I am going to go to the store at the break of dawn from now on. There was nobody in there so it was so nice. :D

stormy- You are wrong about going south for warm weather. It is 34 degrees here and the people here act like it is subzero weather. Everyone has their fireplaces going and most people are bundled up in big winter coats. Floridians shouldn't even have fireplaces and I don't even own a coat. It is nippy though. I am sure it is much colder where you are though. I wish I lived somewhere that has seasons. :lol:
Thanks for noticing the pound lost and I am holding on to that minor victory until I can report a much bigger one. I am a lot more serious about trying to lose now so I am hoping for better results. ;)
You should give your hubby credit - some women have to set themselves on fire to get their husband to notice them. I know what you mean about him wanting something though- my bf tends to think I am gorgeous when he needs something.
Also- you put something on your list that should be on mine- my relationship with God. That should have been number one. Anyway- glad you are doing well and keep up the great work! :)

red balloon- Glad to see a long post from you. How are you feeling today? I am sorry you didn't get to ride but at least it wasn't a wasted day- sounds like you got a lot done. I like your list of reasons to lose- I especially identify with the riding one. I don't do some of the things I love because of my weight. For example- I can't make my fat butt get on a bike. It just looks too funny to try to do. Keep up the great work and I am sure you will be in a show one day soon. :D

little grasshopper- You are funny putting your dog first. :lol: My bf once asked me if I had to choose between him and Charlie (my dog) which would I pick. He got mad because I did not immediately answer him. I had to think about it. :lol: In your plan you don't combine some foods? Is that a good idea for anyone or special to your plan? I have heard about people that combine certain foods to lose weight and I always wondered if it had merit.

To answer all of you- I am writing two things. One is a mystery novel- it started out as something to do for fun and it turned into a book or at least part of one. It is therapy for me- I can be someone else for awhile. The other thing I am writing is a kind of memoir- I am trying to recall as much of my childhood as I can- trying to log those things I loved as a child and special memories I have. My mom is also doing this and we will trade when we are done and then put them away for the day if or when I have children. It has been so much fun to do for both of us that we are writing much more than we originally intended to. :lol:

Well I should go- I have to run about a thousand errands and I have a house to clean. :D Have a wonderful day (night for you red) everyone!!
I will be on later to bore you with my life. ;)

Crime girl
12-29-2004, 06:18 PM
Yo!
Where is everyone? Did I scare everyone off?
I just got home from running errands and so far today I have been cheat free. The only bad thing I did today was get on my scale which promptly told me that I gained 3 pounds. That can't be right can it? Talk about discouraging!
Anyway- wanted to say hi and check in-I will pop back on later.

redballoon
12-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Good morning everyone. I can see now that the time difference has you all writing when I'm asleep, so I wake to lots of posts and people asking, "Where is everyone!" I'm sleeping! and wish I could be chatting with you, but . . . I'll try to be good for slipping in a side shot of words, kind of like a side job that gives you a little boost of cash in between paydays!

Wow, having finally got a broadband connection to my computer is great. I'm using a Mac with OSX right now and the iTunes on it is great. I hook up to some Net music and listen to it constantly, just leaving the connection open. I'm usually only into hard rock but I've always like butt-moving blues and I've been listening to that. It's great to put you in a great mood. That, coupled with my caffeine jolt, should have be flying into work today, the first day back in a week and I'm NOT looking forward to it. I feel like the entire day is just a total waste even though I know I need the money. It doesn't even motivate me. That shock when I got back from Hong Kong just did something. It shattered my last little feeling of trying to hold on, of hope that things would get better and, moreso, it just was the last straw. Something inside me said, Enough! and now I have no interest whatsoever in the place anymore. Don't even want to joke with my coworkers. Ugh and double ugh. Gotta find my fantasy GOOOOD feeling again. Ok, now who sounds like she's on more than caffeine! :lol:

Behind things here, what have I been eating? Well, it's better than it had been, especially before I got back from H.K. I've been off the postmorning caffeine and off sugar except for a couple days around Christmas where I indulged because they were truly special occasions. So, other than that I'Ve been back on my usual fare of unprocessed foods and, since I'm a vegetarian, that means brown rice, oatmeal, vegetables and fruit but I have been having too much cheese and too much good German bread with organic peanut butter. This is the problem. I can eat really good foods but I always eat way too much! I hate counting calories but either I'm going to have to find a plan and stick to it knowing the amount of calories without counting them or I'm going to have to count.

So, yes, I've got to get on a plan.

Crime girl -- I really want to say thank you so much for keeping us on track about what we're here for, weight loss, sticking to our plans with an eye on our goals and MEETING them. With so many threads things just end up with everyone talking about everything BUT diets or with just an aside to them. Your plan sounds tough, 1200 calories, wow, I suppose that's what I have to do, but you see, as soon as I start exercising I get so hungry. For a while there I was upping my calories with the exercise and that seemed to work but you see, it necessitated me counting calories and I really hate that. Well, gotta do something different if we want to see different results, right?

Yes, isn't it awful how how we feel about our bodies prevents us from doing things we'd like to. You really should bicycle and not worry about your butt. If no one's stopping you. My sister is like that. Doesn't want to go to the gym because she's "too fat." When I see very heavy people at the gym I say "good for you!!" inside. It's so inspiring to see people trying to make a change in their lives. Unfortunately, a lot is affected by the environment and the people around us. I feel horrible riding because I am the biggest one there and I know the owner absolutely hates anything but ultra lean look. I mean he's a horribly cold person and I say I don't care what he thinks but just knowing he is looking at me with contempt hurts. Whenever I'm in the States I always lose weight because I feel free to choose how I want to look. No one anymore, at my present size, is making rude, lewd remarks. Here, however, I am always the big one, even though I'm only 5 feet 1 1/2 inches tall! But I am overweight, sure maybe not compared to what I could be, but I'm still overweight. It's hard though not having the right kind of support in my environment. I guess I have to learn to find that totally within myself.

And yes, Crime girl, I feel much better, thank you. Took some Nyquil before bed last night and that always helps me sleep and get better. Glad you enjoyed your early morning shopping trip. Early morning is fantastic. It's hard getting up but when I don't I really miss it.

Crime girl, stay OFF the scale! :nono:

stormy -- your plan sounds good too. Good luck! Heh, I don't know anything whatsoever that's cheaper in Tokyo than elsewhere, except maybe tofu. When you say "this area" maybe you mean surrounding Asian countries, no? Then again, since I never go near the clothes stores here I wouldn't know. I'm not kidding about the size 6s and that is actually a Japanese Size 9, which translates into a 6 American. Yes, I have had the experience of being told that with utter disdain and at that time I was a lot smaller. I was also younger and more vulnerable to slights but even now, since I don't like what I see in the mirror, I don't enjoy shopping. I used to be a lot heavier and even in the States could never find clothes that fit. That was back in the '70s though and stores didn't cater to larger sizes much. Maybe they do now I don't know but it was always a traumatic experience looking for clothes. I think this is why this is one of goals, to have nice clothes. It's something I never did before.
___

little grasshopper -- Oh, I know just how you feel with it being too cold to get out. I didn't go to the gym yet again yesterday because of the weather. What a wimp I am. It's a long walk though. I haven't driven a car in about 25 years! Honest. My license expired in the States so even when I'm there, which is rarely, I don't drive.

Good to hear you are getting rid of your anger. What were you angry about, if I may ask. Your diet sounds fantastic. What do you think is your main obstacle to weight loss? Just too much of a good thing, like with me?

redballoon
12-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Okay, I just found a way to turn this day around because I could already see the slow slide into oblivion! But I like to say, each day is our canvas and it's up to us what kind of picture we're going to paint on it, with whatever it gives us, we get to turn it around! So, remembering that, I checked the yearend gym schedule on the Net. I was thinking the place would be closed or close too early for me to make it there after work. But NO, it's open till late as usual tonight. Yes!! :p

So, the only thing I can foresee stopping me is my own godawful laziness! I'm taking my gym stuff to work and I'm going to hit that place tonight, work up a good sweat! Nothing's going stop me.

Now, gals, please hold me accountable, OK? I need a whip here and I want you all to crack it! Any of you got a sadistic streak in you, bring it out for me will you! :devil: I've got to whip this big A of mine into A+ shape. ;)

little grasshopper
12-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Hi guys! I'm home from a strange day at work. I almost passed out on a client. Don't panic. I'm fine! I left the room when I realized what was happening - I kind of lost track of time and space for a second. I came out and the doctor happened to be standing there...all he said when I told him what was happening was "yep, he's done that to me before too." I have NO IDEA what that was about but he fixed me up and I grounded myself a lot more than before and I got through it. I had two more small spells where I thought I might pass out but nothing like the first one. I have had that happen once before a long time ago but it was a very very sick patient and I was just in the room with her - the whole building wasn't the same after her visit. After that day though we were all fine with her. I don't know if she was just in a really bad place at the time and we weren't prepared for it or what. Anyway, I was fine after he left and the day continued as normal but what a start!! Please don't ask me to explain it, I can't.

CG - 3 pounds..what the heck have you been doing :) just kidding. You know those scales lie!!! Don't panic I'm sure it's water or something very easily explained! It sucks to get on the scales and feel like you're going the wrong way though! I feel your pain!!! I'm still avoiding mine. I don't care what they say right now - we're not on speaking terms anymore. Keep up the good work. Like you said, you're serious about it now and there's no stopping you!!
As for the food combining, it's based on something to do with digestion rates for starches and meats. It's easier on the digestive system to process one at a time. I heard of it through a book "fit for life" I ate on this diet when I was a teenager and felt the best I've felt in my life! My brother did it and lost 100 pounds. You have to be careful to get enough protein with their plan though.

Stormy - You get a lot of exercising in! I am trying to build up to that. I did my 30 minutes of walking today and some light weights for back and legs. I have to start very slowly. I feel really good now!

Redballoon - I don't think I'd like shopping there either. Last time I lost weight I got into an 8 and was so excited. Someone on a different website's SUPPORT group immediately pointed out that the store I got them from size differently and the 8 was more like an 11-12!! :mad: :mad: So much for support....As for what I was mad about - not sure entirely. I think I was just an intense personality from early in life and that was the only way I knew. I needed control, and I needed things done NOW. It didn't help that I stayed with a job I was not suited for at all, for more than 9 years. I think I was also angry, out of fear. I wanted to do all these wonderful things but I was scared to try. That made me angry too. Life is much happier and peaceful now.

As for my biggest obstacle - I struggle with moderation and balance. I tend to be an all or nothing kind of person. I either exercise like a freak or do nothing...eat really well, or horribly. Not much balance in those areas. I think it's a control thing...I'm either in total control or I give up. I'm working on that now. Well I'd better get to cooking dinner! Talk to you soon!

redballoon
12-29-2004, 08:06 PM
grasshopper -- we were posting at the same time. What happened!?! Are you OK?!!?!? There must be some energy from your client that is affecting you, no, if the doctor says "he's done that to me." You know, energy, reiki, ki, is all very big over here as it is, after all, the Orient. I am a big believer in this kind of thing and I suppose this is what was happening if you are otherwise healthy and not taken to fainting, low blood sugar or such. Yes, that is probably what it was. If you work with this guy again you'll probably have to not be so "receiving" or whatever it's called, taking his energy into you. You'll probably have to work on "getting it OUT and away" from you. Hmm, very interesting.

I like that, "not on speaking terms" with your scale!! :rofl: That's so funny!

I can't believe that someone would point out that a size 8 at a certain store was more like an 11 or 12?!! Yeah, really, call that support!? :nono: I hope you got off that site right away! I mean, like, who needs support when you can go braless!

An "intense personality" Hmm. Again, interesting. I like the sound of that. I think I know what you mean. It sounds like you wanted to express yourself, to express your power and you or something was holding you from that. I'm glad you understand that now and, I hope, are moving in that direction. A lot of overweight women are very powerful women who have been kept under thumb by society, family, "loved ones" etc. and we have to throw off that yoke and really LIVE! More power to you, kid!!

As I read through your post I see uncanny similarities with myself. Moderation, balance, yes, ugly words in my book but words I'm starting to learn to understand in a way that I can work with. I used to see them as words that meant I had to compromise myself, now I'm starting to understand that this is the way to true power.

I'm the proverbial hare in the tortoise and hare fable. I love to work in spurts then sit and sleep under the tree. And this tale seemed to be telling us the tortoise was the way to be. Well, **** no! I'm a hare and I say, the race just ended too soon. There's no way that if the hare had a bit more time that any tortoise is going to beat him. It's just the hare has to get a little smarter about how he uses his abilities and then, wow, he can blow that tortoise away!!

Well, good luck to you! Let's get this show on the road, eh?! :strong: :cb: :spin: :sunny: :dancer:

little grasshopper
12-29-2004, 08:35 PM
You're too funny - I'm sure if given the time you'd win EVERY TIME! :)

I know what you're talking about with Reiki, Ki and Chi. The office I work in uses a lot of eastern medicine mixed with weatern and naturapathic. It's a great blend - kind of the best of all three worlds. I am otherwise very healthy - never fainted in my life. I am working on grounding myself more than before. We learned to in school but it didn't that important at the time...there was so much to learn. This is twice that it's happened and I need to get a better grip on it! I can't be passing out on the people that need me most :)

I know how you feel about moderation - seems really boring! I don't know how it happened to me. I think my line of work has a lot to do with it. Again, soft lights, nice music, my whole job is to help people relax and better manage stress. For the most part I do a good job - either that or it's another area of all or nothing behavior :) I'm excellent at it, or fall totally apart :) We'll see.

I do know that when I told people what I was going back to school for, most thought I'd lost my mind! They thought I didn't have the personality for it. I knew I did, I was just stuck in another mold and trying to make myself fit and it wasn't working - so I became bitter angry. It's hard to look back and see that that's who I was, very intimidating and powerful SEEMING....but inside, very insecure and scared. I'm very glad to have shed most of that!! I could have lived my entire life that way.

okay, time to belly dance :) :)

OH, Stormy - funny you mentioned the meditation - I remembered today that I use to count my breathing when I got scared - it calmed me..I did it today and it worked really well. It's kind of a beginners zen trick. I suck at it - always getting side tracked, but I did it the same and it worked really well :)

Crime girl
12-29-2004, 08:42 PM
WOW! You guys hop on the board with a vengenance. Thank God! I was feeling chatty today and had nobody to chat with. I started talking to myself but I have already heard everything I have to say so I bored myself. :lol:
I have been in the best mood today! I love when you look back at your day and you accomplished all the things that you sought out to do. It happens very infrequently with me so when it happens it really makes me giddy! I got everything done and am getting ready to indulge in some "me" time. I have to work all day tomorrow so I need the down time before I face year end accounting. :(
Anywho- glad you all jumped on to talk:

Little grasshopper- Promise you are OK? I think red is right and you picked some bad energy off that guy. I think you should let someone else have him next time to be sure it doesn't happen again. That would freak me out.
I am going to look for "Fit for Life"- I will have bf get it from work because he works at a bookstore. I need to look at how food combinations effect my digestion. I want to try to eat as healthy as I can and feel as full as possible. My temptation is to eat out of habit when I feel anything is wrong. Kind of like - eliminate eating as the cause of me not feeling well. Don't know if that makes sense or not.
I can identify with the all or nothing mentality. I tend to get fired up about something and go full tilt for awhile until I hit a snag then it is forget it and nothing. I am going to try to not do that this time and allow myself to be human and mess up sometimes without totally abandoning everything. I guess I am guilty of throwing out the baby with the bath water. :D

Red Balloon- I feel for you with the work situation. From what I can tell it seems that you were really engaged with your job before and have become disenchanted. I hate that you dread going to work. That is an awful feeling.
I can't believe you are faced with such small sizes over there. I would have to buy a curtain and fashion it into a fetching garment if I lived there. It would take 3 size 8 dresses to get the material for one of mine now. :lol: Buying clothes here is already a struggle. I imagine the sales ladies would have a coronary trying to help me or probably a back strain from kicking me out of the store. Geez! :devil:
Did you go to the gym young lady??? You can do it!! :cheer: Just visualize that moment at the end of your workout where you say to yourself- Why do I resist coming to the gym? It feels so good to workout. You know what I mean- that total relaxation you feel when all the stress has been worked out and you feel like you can jog around the world. ;) There will be nothing but good things from going to the gym so you better go!

Just a quick reminder to everyone- tomorrow(for most of us- we will pretend it is Thurs for red too) is "have I been moving my bootie day" and it would be good if we talked about things that work for us to motivate us to go to the gym or exercise at home. I also would love it everyone told us their "exercise plan". We all know we need one- because left to our own devices we would all be on the couch with a pint of Ben and Jerry's and the remote control. :D Besides I need to vocalize mine so you guys can kick me in the caboose if I don't at least attempt to stick with it. :lol:

For tomorrow as well- how about for the question:
At what time in your life did you feel the most fit and healthy? Explain the time and what you were into that made you feel that way.
I will start :Mine would be in high school when I played soccer and ran every day. I ate right because I only ate when I remembered to at home ( and mom only made healthy things). I was so obsessed with soccer that I thought of food as fuel and I wish I could get back to that mentality.
Okay I will pop back on before I go to bed-

little grasshopper
12-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Hi CG - sorry I missed you on the board. I was in the journals. I have this never ending need to type, I guess :) I promise I'm okay. I just picked up his junk. I hope he atleast felt better :) It probably won't happen with him again. This use to happen, but it would be me picking up the person's pain. I learned to recognize it and stop it at first sign of a problem...this hits in a wave and starts with the feeling I'm going to throw up and quickly becomes, I'm gonna hit the floor soon. Can you imagine getting a massage and suddenly your therapist is passed out on top of you!! MY GOD, I don't know how I'd face that client again!!! Anyway, it's all good. I even worked out after work and was totally fine all day after he left. The world is a magical, weird place sometimes!

okay, so ben and jerry's and a remote control AREN'T exercise?? What kind of a boot camp are you running????? :) just kidding! My exercise plan as of last week is to walk 30 minutes a day at a 15-20 minute mile pace. I am doing either belly dancing or pillates alternating and I am doing yoga stretches throughout the day to better take care of my tight muscles :) I am wearing a pedometer and trying to hit 10K steps a day. So far today I'm at 9, 565. I will be at 10K by bed time. So I'm doing much better at moving that before.

stormy1
12-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Crime girl, do not worry about the weight gain. It is water weight. Try to weigh yourself at the same time each day. I read that as females our weight can fluctuate by 2-5 pounds each day secondary to our hormones. I love the thing that you and your mom are doing. That is great. I would like to write a book on my dad and his crazy self.

Red balloon, you are sounding much better. Have you been working out? The whip is out!

Little GH, woah that is crazy. Someone else should see him next time. What belly dancing tape do you have?

little grasshopper
12-29-2004, 09:04 PM
oops - I posted by mistake....

fittest I've ever been?? 3 years ago, after my 3rd and 4th black belt tests. I was training 6 days a week for 2-3 hours, HARD. I was in rock hard shape!! I was rock climbing, trail running UP mountains and loving every minute of it. The thing is though that I had no idea I was in such good shape because I trained with two girls that were in much better shape than I was (at least I thought they were - I still do, BTW). I was so busy watching them and wishing I could be like them that I never realized how great a body I had. I am shocked when I see pictures that I ever for a second had doubts about my figure - Also I was dating a guy a year earlier that felt I could "stand to lose 5 pounds" I did have the sense to dump him, but I still heard what he said and it fit my view of myself compared to the girls I trained with, exactly!

So I am not worried about all that anymore. I may never get that body back, don't know that I want to - it was HARD to keep!! But I do want to feel strong and in control of my limbs :)

Oh, and I'd like it if, while I'm moving my bootie, it didn't fade completely away - I have no butt now! My back just kind of fades into my legs. I can't imagine what it will look like if it gets smaller. People will be making charity "panty padding" donations!!

stormy1
12-29-2004, 09:14 PM
Little GH, time to start the stairmaster and squats to build that booty!
Your comment about your ex reminds me of some of my friends boyfriends and hubbys. Why do people have to be like that?

Ohh, I forgot to tell you guys. One of my patient's wife asked me if I lost weight. She said "wow, you are loosing weight aren't you?" Woohoo. See I can believe her better than my hubby (he he!)

Here is a good piece of info: The center for disease control has found that women in their 20s are 30 pounds fatter than they were 40 years ago. Yuck!!!

I'll try to start posting little tid bits like the one above a few times a week to keep us motivated. How does that sound?

Crime girl
12-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Tell you what little grasshopper- I will give you a portion of my butt and maybe then I can go for a bike ride. :lol:
I don't think I will ever be as fit as I was then but it is still cool to look back and see that at one point I had it all together. The funny thing is that it wasn't a big deal to me back then. I took it for granted and assumed I would always be healthy and fit. :D

stormy- I think the thing with my mom is cool as well- she is the one that tied us together and I think it is a good way to have something just between us. My mom is retired now and my dad is a type A workaholic like me so I am glad she has something to work on when my dad runs off to work with Habitat for Humanity- his new pet project. I also am attempting to get to her to read and the project is helping with that. I read that reading helps prevent Alzheimer's. Dont know if it is true but worth a try and keeps her happy. :D
I promise I won't let that mean ole scale get the best of me. I don't know why it is being so mean- you would think me losing weight would make it happy because I do stand on top of it to weigh myself but scales are just inherently evil I guess. :lol:

Where is everyone else??
Michimesh- if you are out there- we miss you and hope you are doing well!

Sthrn Belle- jump on board and talk with us when you can.

We also use to hear from oraki, susanne, donna, cinisha, phoenix, and kjk. Where are you guys?? We miss you.
Jazzmine too- she has been on some but is still a little MIA.

Maybe everyone has not settled back down from Christmas etc. I hope we haven't lost anyone. If you guys are reading along and not posting just give you a holler so we know you are OK. Feel free to jump back in anytime- no questions asked. :D
Okay- I need to go-

Crime girl
12-29-2004, 09:21 PM
stormy- I must have posted at the same time as you-
I would love it if you posted tidbits! Great idea!
Also congrats on someone other than hubby noticing the weight loss!!
WOOO HOOO!!!

little grasshopper
12-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Stormy - VERY COOL that they noticed!!! I know what you mean about believing others before you can believe your hubby. They can be sneaky sometimes and they know the buttons - both good and bad :)

I promise to start going some squats - actually I did some, sort of. I was squatting while drying my hair. I have a lot of hair, does that make it any better? I like the tidbits Idea! You're right, stuff like that is motivating! Oh, the way I belly dance isn't very sexy. It looks more like an epileptic fit, in slow motions :) I'm working on it though :)

I heard this week that celebs are now taking cardio stripping classes and having the pole installed in their bedrooms! Talk about motivation!!! I bet I could get BF to work out with me then :) Not sure I'm ready to take that step in my workout ritual just yet :)

stormy1
12-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Little GH, I also heard that everyday housewives are taking that stripping class. I guess their spouses must love it! You are hilarious about your belly dancing. You will be sensual in no time!

Crimegirl, reading does help and so does doing crossword puzzles. Maybe your mom should also get involved with Habitat. It is a great project. We usually help build a house a couple of times a year. It is very rewarding!

kjk123
12-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Hello all....I've been following along with everyone's posts, but haven't had the time to dedicate to actually responding (thanks for noticing I've been missing, CG).

My holiday went well - had fun with friends and family. Didn't eat well, of course, but I'm re-dedicating myself (again, probably for the millionth time) starting on Saturday. Starting over for the new year! I've already made my New Year's resolutions: to drink more water, to eat less and better food, and to work out at least 30 min five days/week.

Let's see...I'm trying to remember some of the recent questions: a superhero name would be "McGyver". This isn't really a superhero name, but it's an accurate nickname. As in, the TV show. I always seem to be the person that can solve problems, and knows enough information to find a solution.

Ok, so my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Let me go ahead and answer tomorrow's question - when was I most fit and healthy? That would have to be my senior year of college. I lost 40 pounds the summer before, and was down to a healthy 165. I was wearing a size 12, which was the smallest size ever, since junior high. I was working out like a fiend, drinking water like it was my job, and was generally happy with myself. I could actually look at myself in the mirror and not be disgusted....now, looking at myself gets to be discouraging.

You all are doing wonderfully -- you are providing great support for me, even when I'm neglectful in posting. CG, thanks for the insightful questions and constant positivity. Redballoon, you are possibly one of the most positive people I've ever met. Your intellectual comments and insights always keep me coming back for more. Everyone here is wonderful, and it is great to not be alone in this battle.

Have a great night, I'll try to be more diligent in checking in....

Kelly

stormy1
12-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Hi KJK,

I am glad that you are still reading the board. Has the weather cleared up in Ohio? I start back to school next week (in Findlay, OH). I dread going back and the cold weather makes it even harder. Your new years resolutions sound good. You will be back to your college size in no time!

Crime girl
12-29-2004, 11:27 PM
Yea!!!
kjk- so glad you are back and posting again- we have missed you! :D
Your new year's resolution sounds great! I have almost the same resolution. Together we can do it! ( I am starting to sound like Richard Simmons). I mean it though- we can do this! I was so happy to see your post and welcome back. Thanks for the kind words.

little grasshopper- You kill me with the imagery you provide sometimes. I have this mental pic of you belly dancing now. :rofl: You are too funny sometimes. I am thinking you may feel it looks like you are having an epileptic fit,but in reality I bet you are better than you think. Bellydancing sounds like fun- do you get higher praise for the size of your belly because if you do- I may be ready for the olympics. :lol: Anyway- sounds like fun all the same and congrats on taking on squats- they are so hard to me.

stormy- I also have to go back to school next week and I really want to know why time out of school moves faster than time in school. I swear I just got out and here I am going back. I bought books for one class today and it was $254. Egads! I better get a good job or I am going to be pretty peeved! I need to open a textbook company because those people are making a killing.
Also- my mom gets involved some with habitat but she does things like make lunch and take it to them and volunteer to pick up people and transport them to sites. My dad on the otherhand is the construction manager for his chapter. They have built quite a few houses so far and he has 3 golden hammers- not sure what that means but he is proud of it. I am happy he has found something to do that helps other people. ;)

Okay- need to go to bed- have to get up and go to work at 6 am tomorrow. I probably won't be on until the afternoon so try to not to miss me too much. :lol: Until tomorrow-
Have a wonderful night and tomorrow morning everyone! Keep up the great work! Mind over matter!
Okay well

Michiemish
12-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Hey everyone..I'm still here...Actually get to stay at my own apt this week...I went to my WW meeting today like i said i would..I was so scared because i knew i feel off the wagon..But i only gained 1 pound...So that is not bad..I came home and lceaned out my fridge and my cabinets..Going to start fresh..But my mom is doing beter..She had her first treatment of chemo last weds and it kicked her butt..But luckily her treatment is only every 21 days...But she feels fine now...Hope everyone is doing well after the holidays..

The last time i felt healthy or good about my wieght when i was 21yrs old... I use to go and party every night but for some reason i lost weight and got into shape maybe also because i was swimming a mile a day too..=)

anyways talk to u guys later

Crime girl
12-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Michimesh- I think we were posting at the same time! Welcome back and we missed you! I am so happy your mom is doing better. Also- congrats on going to the WW meeting. I am so proud of you for going and sticking with it. It is true inspiration for me! Don't worry about 1 pound- that is good especially if you haven't been following the plan all the time. No stress- need to take baby steps first before we can sprint. So glad you get to stay in your apartment and selfish me is glad you will potentially be on more.

stormy1
12-30-2004, 12:42 AM
Crimegirl, it is great that your parents are staying active. it is so important. We need to keep each other on track since we will be back in school again. We need to hold each other accountable. I will not have another break until August!

Michi, welcome back. Congrats on only gaining one pound during the holidays. I am glad your mom is doing better! Good idea about cleaning out the fridge.

Thursday is my 9 year wedding anniversary so I will not be posting much. After work we are going to an Italian restaurant (carrabas) and then we are going to see The Fockers. So I guess it will be my exercise/eat free day.

I will answer the ? for Thursday:

I workout 6 days a week, alternating b/t cardio and weight training. I try to follow the Body for Life exercise program except I add extra cardio. I am not a gym rat anymore b/c I found that I am better not trying to exercise during gym hours. Between work and school it is too hard. My favorite tapes are: Pilates (not my favorite, but I still do it b/c it is beneficial), Cardio Boot Camp, Tae Bo, "I want that Body", and Chicometrics. I work out for 45-60 minutes at a time. I have an elliptical trainer at home and free weights. I also have a jump rope, medicine ball, and a swiss ball.

stormy1
12-30-2004, 12:47 AM
Oh yeah-my best fit time. About three and a half years ago. I was at 130 (I am five foot seven), working out hard each day, able to look good in a bikini, blah, blah,blah.
I used to really eat smaller portions plus have my one free day. Staying slim has always been something I had to work at. I would like to look good in a bathing suit again but I now have stretch marks from gaining this weight. So I would settle for a suit with a sarong! It kills me that some people have great genes and metabolism.

stormy1
12-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi! Is no one out of bed yet :( I hope everyone has a great day :)
Here is a bit of info for the day: Eating too much sugar with the intent on going to the gym to burn it off may cause weight gain. A study revealed that female rats who consumed sweetened milk along with their regular amount of food exercised 40% less than those who ate their normal food only (Self-1/2005). Interesting,huh?

little grasshopper
12-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Good morning!! I had a late day today so I decided to take advantage of it. I slept in :)

Stormy - Great sugar info - I have somethig to ad to it too.....eating 1/4 a teaspoon of sugar severaly lowers your immune stystem for 5 hours afterwards! If you're eating more than that or more frequently than 5 hours imagine what THAT does to the immune system! Well happy anniversary!! Enjoy your Italian - it's my favorite cheat food in the whole world!!!

KjK - so glad to see you here!!!! I like the new years plan and drinking water like it's your job is a great way to put it!! I need to adopt that moto :) I'm glad you're still posting and reading along. We can be a chatty crowd but it's what gets me through the hard stuff! I hope to see you more!!

Michie - I'm glad your getting to stay at your own place more. And Really glad your mom is feeling better!! That's very encouraging!! And I'm also glad you went to your meeting!!! 1 pound is great! You're going through so much and to be able to stay reasonable with a weightloss plan while doing it is amazing!! You might be my new hero :)

Crime Girl - I tried to sell 2 of my $80 text books at a local used book store....they were going to give me $.25 for one and $.45 for the other!!! I couldn't believe it! I ended up selling the ones I didn't need on Amazon. You're right though - text book companies make a killing!! On the bright side, you'll build little muscles carrying the little books around for ALL that money you spent :) :) Hang in there - I bet it's useless info now but when I look back at school now it seems like such a brief blip in time. It's worth it!!!
I'm really impressed and motivated by how charged up you are!!!! keep that inspiration coming!! You almost make this whole weightloss thingie fun :lol:

Redballoon - I guess you're getting ready for bed. I hope your day at work went better. It's tough being back isn't it. I had a dream last night my boss fired me because I answered an ethical question a "little too ethical" for his taste. I'm assuming it's because boy wonder - the childish, sneaky doctor is suppose to be back from vacation today. I REALLY enjoyed his vacation! He should take more :)

Well guys - I'm off to check out another gym today. I need a place of workout :) I need a place I can go to clear my head and have nothing else to do when I get there, except work out. Wish me luck. then I'm going back to the clorox place to work out again. I'm a little sore today from the back stuff yesterday - it's a good sore though. Makes me kinda proud of myself :)

little grasshopper
12-30-2004, 09:59 AM
Oh if you guys don't mind I want to give one piece of advice as we are working out and building great bodies. PLEASE everytime you do something that builds the front part of your body - ab work, pushups, bench presses, stuff to build your pecs...PLEASE do an equal exercise for your back muscles.

90% of the people I treat have the same problem. They are stronger on the front of their bodies than the back...that means the muscles on the front side are "bullying" the ones on the back and pulling them into action ALL the time. The back muscles and shoulder blade muscles get overpowered and are more easily injured then. So PLEASE take the time to build those back muscles too!!

I hope you don't mind - but I swear I see it ALL the time and I'm living it right now too!!!

redballoon
12-30-2004, 12:13 PM
little grass! you're right, I'm getting ready for bed. I confess. NO gym tonight, out with the guys from work. Necessary socializing and I love it! Never know when the others are going to be up for it. Schedules are all different. I did want to go to the gym but I have a slight cold. Beers certainly didn't help but talking to the guys did.

Bad day bosswise. I lit in to him. Just so sick of the runaround. For the first time ever he lit back, said I could quit if I wanted to. I do want to. He ended any feeling of "wanting to help out." Unfortunately, it was such a downer I had some chocolate. But, heck, it was OK. Tomorrow's New Year's Eve and I promised the guy I'm on shift with that we're going to have some fun, go out for lunch, drink a few pints, come back, do the work if we feel like it, just celebrate, for heaven's sake! It'll be New Year's Eve and everyone is stretched to the snapping point. We joke about going postal but it's not such a joke. It was great getting together and talking over beers tonight like we can't do in the office. Americans, Aussies, Brits, solidarity is a great thing but very hard to come by. I love them all.

Anyhow, lordie! kjk, "intellectual" insights?!? From me?!?! Nah!!. Certainly not at this late hour, now after 1 a.m. Good to see you back though! Catch you all tomorrow if I can make it up. Good night! :wave:

little grasshopper
12-30-2004, 01:22 PM
I found a gym!! It is the one that is by my house and I never went to it, even though something was telling me too - because it's one of those too good to be true places. Close by, large, nice equipment (so I'm told) yoga and pillates classes for free.....that has to be expensive. The average gym cost here is over 50 a month. This one was 25 with an option to renew at the same rate. It's a one year membership and I paid 25 to join. I just stopped in and was very impressed - I was on my way to the clorox house so I had my workout clothes on. She showed me the gym, explained the contract and then said before I make up my mind, go work out if I want. So I did. She is going to do a fitness test, including measurements all over :) And she's going to give me a routine that won't kill me but will give my workouts core focus. That's what I need right now - build strong core strength. She'll workout with me 3 times and then measure me monthly :) :) yippie!!!! I have never been this excited about a gym before but this was perfect :) :)

Had to share with you guys!

stormy1
12-30-2004, 04:39 PM
Hi.

Little Gh, you are so right about working muscles equally! I too see patients with the same problem. Stretching is also so important. The best example I can give that everyone can relate to are those weight lifters who are overdeveloped and their shoulders are forward :rolleyes: . They walk around with their chests poking out but they do not look right. Their pecs are tight and their body is out of balance. :eek: Okay, I'll get off my soap box. Congrats on finding a gym. It sounds like a good deal. You are on your way now :D

Red balloon, don't party too hardy :joker: :dancer: Have fun!

To everyone: you are all great! :grouphug:

little grasshopper
12-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Hi guys - I'm still flying high from the new gym thing - you'd have thought it would make me this excited. I'm even thinking of taking some classes when I get cleared to. I've always hated the classes at gyms.....but I'm thinking of trying some :) Stormy - I'll let you know if pillates in a class is more fun that the tapes...use your power house......:) :) She's creapy calm!!

Off to make spicy sausage pasta for BF and turkey and veggies for me :) trying to decide if I want to cheat and drink wine tomorrow night...it would make the female side of the couple we're hanging out with a lot more tolerable??? Should I have the wine for my own well being or suffer through and be clean on new years???

Crime girl
12-30-2004, 08:20 PM
How is everyone tonight?? I just got home and ate dinner (chili made with turkey) and settled down enough to catch up.

stormy- you have a deal with keeping each other on top of school- it is my last semester so I have the danger of losing steam because I see the end of the tunnel. :D
Congrats on your anniversary! Have a great time out! ;)
Thanks for the tip about sugar- I have been trying to cut sugar out of my diet as much as possible and that helps to motivate me. :D

little grasshopper- I am glad you got to sleep in today- good for you! Congrats on finding a gym- I know it is hard to find a place that you like and that you can afford. This gym sounds wonderful!
To answer your question you should have a glass of wine and then get right back on track. You should experience life and New Years comes once a year. Have fun! :D
Thanks for the workout tip- I need all the help I can get! ;)

red balloon- I am sorry that things went badly at work today. I wish you could tell your boss to shove it and quit. I am glad, however, that you got to go out and kick back some beers. It helps when you can blow off steam. :D

Well guys, to answer my own question- I have not been doing much to move my bootie and I think it is holding me up. Someone yell at me and make me go to the gym I am paying for! Geez- I know it will make me feel better and I know it will help me lose weight- why can't I go?? What is so hard?
I am going to try to get on board and get with the program because I have some lofty goals I would love to meet. :D I have been doing so well with eating and so lousy on exercise. :o

Okay well I am going to go and work on my book. I will be on later to talk.

redballoon
12-30-2004, 08:36 PM
Oh, boy, I am hurting this morning! Paying for last night's partying. Ah, but heck, if I can bear to think about it (trying to edit out all thoughts of the beer) it was fun.

I have half an hour before I have to go into work. Sure hope my stomach holds. Ugh.

You all are so prolific. I'm going to have a hard time catching up but I absolutely love you all. You're such a great help getting me through the rough times. :grouphug: Later! :wave:

little grasshopper
12-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Hi guys! Pardon the interuption for just a second....

Crime girl - this is serious! You're our leader, get your butt to the gym!! You pay for it, you deserve it and you know you will feel better when you go! Go, get on a machine or step into a class and move your butt!!!!!! You can and WILL do this! You're worth every single pound you're fighting to lose and more!!!! Do this for us!!!!! We'll be proud of you!!!! (you told me to yell :) )
Seriously though, it's hard to get yourself there, I won't pretend otherwise, but sometimes it the first couple of trips that are the hardest. You KNOW you feel better, Maybe set a training session appointment?? Or a scheduled time you have to be there to be measured?? Or go to a scheduled class?? Just GO!! You're doing a great job with your program, so you have energy to devote to this part as well. It's the hardest part for me too. We'll do it together! I'll go tomorrow if you will. I'll work out for 1 hour - 30 minutes cardio and 30 weights and stretching. deal????

Redballoon - hope you didn't hear the yelling. I know it would hurt your head :) :) I'm glad you got out and had some fun! Good luck with new years!
Its' funny, we think of the New Year being when OUR ball drops. So self centered sometimes. Maybe it comes from the fact that many Americans don't travel....like the first job that tried to convince you they were the best job and the only place that would treat you well....so on and so forth. USA is the "GREATEST" and it is a great nation, but not worth the way many americans act about it, that's for sure!! Oh my, let me stop before I say how I really feel :?:

Stormy - I hope you're having a great time on your anniversary date!! 9 Years is wonderful, you've worked hard to get here I'm sure. At least for tonight, believe him when he tells you your butt looks great ;)

Okay, I'm off to watch rentals. Talk to everyone soon!

redballoon
12-30-2004, 09:08 PM
Little grasshopper! You are great! :lol: I want you as my personal cheering squad. Too bad I'm in no condition to get to the gym today. And don't worry, I enjoyed the yelling!! :spin:

Crime girl
12-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Okay ......okay......
I will go ..I promise! Geez- be careful what you wish for. :D
I like the encouragement so keep it up- I need a swift kick in the butt sometimes. I probably won't make it an hour but I will go and do my best and work out until I am ready to drop...
Happy now?? ;)
Anyway-some stupid neighbor of mine has decided that fireworks would be fun tonight and he is freaking my poor dog out. Charlie keeps looking around to see who got shot! I am sure that is what is sounds like to him. :lol:

kjk123
12-30-2004, 10:46 PM
Hi ladies...

Little GH - congrats on finding a gym with such an affordable price and such individualized treatment...that's awesome! I work at a YMCA, and can't stand to work out there. After spending 8-10 hours there a day working, I can't bring myself to work out there too. But then again, I can't justify spending money on a gym membership when one of my work benefits is a FREE membership....what to do, what to do....

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes back! I'm sorry to be so in-and-out. But I think I'm ready to commit as of 1/1. I FINALLY bought a scale today....and I'm not happy, but not surprised. I've gained three pounds since last weigh in, but had a horrible holiday season, food wise. Oh well, I'm starting fresh and ready to go.

Here's a question: I was out shopping tonight, and thought I'd look for some new fitness DVDs. I need something new to get me motivated. Does anyone have any good suggestions. I'm not into the regular "aerobics", but more like Tae Bo or Stability Ball, or Yoga/Pilates. And what kind of equipment does everyone have? All I have is a yoga mat, which is only handy for one thing. I'm trying to debate whether to get a ball, weights, etc. Any advice will be welcome and appreciated.

And to whomever asked about Pilates classes versus videos....classes are so much better! Mari Windsor drives me insane, but I LOVE the Pilates class I used to do at the Y. The instructor, who is also a good friend of mine, also says that Windsor Pilates does not perform the actions as Joseph Pilates intended. Mari Windsor does the movements too fast, instead of concentrating on the actual movement....just some food for thought.

Well, I've babbled long enough. Hope everyone has a great night, I'll try to check back later.

Kelly

stormy1
12-30-2004, 11:46 PM
KJK. use that gym, take advantage of it. I used to work in a PT clinic located in a gym. I always worked out at lunch. Plus, the motivation of seeing hard bodies throughout the day helped. Glad you got the scale, just don't live by it. It can drive you crazy. Tae Bo is great, no equipment needed, just make sure you use correct form b/c I have seen injuries from people hyperextending their knees. A ball would be good to work your abs and free weights are the best for weight training. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction.

Little GH, have the wine. It will make the night go by a little easier. Don't you wish sometimes that you could find a couple who both of you enjoy? We have only had a few couple friends that we both really liked each one.

Crime girl, we have a deal about school. I only have ten months left and I need encouragement to make it through. NOW GET TO THE GYM!!!

Red balloon, happy new year! Make sure to stay hydrated. Have fun!!!

Okay I was very bad tonight. I had my fav "Pasta Carrabba" which has creamy alfredo sauce, it was so good! Back on track in the AM.

All right, I better go give my hubby some attention. Good night!!!

redballoon
12-31-2004, 07:48 AM
Well, it's only a few more hours till midnight here and I get a jump on everyone for the new year! Ringing it in! :encore: Just want to wish everyone the best in 2005. :goodluck:

Make this YOUR YEAR!! :wizard: Let's make it work for us! Let's do it right! :sunny:

It was a long day at work today and since I had all the partying I can take last night I think I'm going to be sleeping through the festivities. Though really, midnight is quiet except people go to the shrines and the big bell, more like a gong, very low sound, is struck something like 108 times, once for each evil of man. It snowed in Tokyo today and everything is wet and slushy out now. Really, I'm just going to crawl under the covers and look forward to that workout on New Year's Day that I had planned on getting in last night. :yes:

Take care everyone! Thanks for all your support in 2004!! :thanks:

:grouphug:

Crime girl
12-31-2004, 09:57 AM
Good morning happy people!
It is New Years Eve (for most of us) and the last day of the year. I guess for some that is a good thing- wanting to move forward and let the past be the past. For others, like me, it is a time of reflection and thought on what the last year had to offer. I think one of the biggest improvements for me was finding all of you to talk to and gain support from. So- Thanks group!

red balloon- Happy New Years to you! I hope you survived the after party hangover and you are starting the new year right. Get in that gym girl! Start on the right foot! :flow1:
As for work- I have a feeling that things will change this year for you for the better with work. Hang in there!
The big bell rings for for man's sins? Or to represent a number of men? I don't get that but it sounds fascinating.

little grasshopper- Thanks for the support! I am going to the gym around noon today and I am going to workout until I fall over exhausted. I am actually looking forward to going. :D

kjk- 2005 will be your year! We will force you back on track and you can do it! I don't however have any suggestions for tapes for you. I am in that boat too. I would love to have some good tapes as well. I think I am going to poach on your answers for ideas for me as well.

stormy- how was the anniversary? Sounds like you had fun! Good for you! I am going to hold you to your agreement for school. I am so scared I am going to do horribly this semester since it is my last. I need to pass a class this semester to graduate so that would not be good.

Okay well today is- Friday so it is support and influence day. Let's talk about any negative or positive influences for the week. People with cookies at the office or someone who helped keep you in line for the week. Speak up and let us know!

The question today is: What are your New Year's resolutions?
I better go everyone- I will be on later.

little grasshopper
12-31-2004, 10:19 AM
Good morning guys! Redballoon - HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I hope you are having a nice sleep :)

Crime Girl - I'm glad you're so pumped up now. I'm going to eat breakfast and go to the gym myself. Get it overwith and maybe take in a class.

Influences huh. Postive has definately been you guys. It got me to the gym and to find a new one. Stormy, thank you, you really helped with that!! Negative has been my own emotions. I ddin't realize I was such an emotional eater...oh and the cousin with the pie chasing me around the house being so nice I couldn't reject her. You guys should really meet this girl. She's almost TOO nice! It's exhausting keeping up with the thank yous, your welcomes and I love you too's!!! I love her but I have this secret need to harden her a little :devil: It's either me or the world right?? Just kidding - I'll leave her sweet self a lone. But she was rather evil chasing me with sugar like that.....But anger is a negative factor as well. I got mad at BF last night because after taking today off to spend it with him, he has no vacation days, so these are our only extra days to spend together...he plans a ride today. Will be gone until 3:00 this afternoon. I should have just worked! We could definately use the money - I could at least, and since I'm spending it alone anyway, I should have just worked. That makes me mad and makes me want to eat. I MEAN REALLY EAT!!

I'm going to the gym instead. I'd better have my sensible breakfast and head to workout before I start eating the furniture. Talk to everyone soon. meri

susanne
12-31-2004, 10:33 AM
Hi Everyone,
Sorry I have been MIA. With the divorce process started and court and such going on. I have fallen by the wayside here. I had gained to 239 and this am was 230 but yesterady I was 233. SO I dont know whether to trust the 230.

Yesterday I did a 90 minutes at the gym so I was pleased with myself.

Work is a hard one. There is always food given to the nurses, hardy a night goes by when I dont go in and work surrounded by boxes of candy, cakes and platters of sandwhiches. It is really hard to say no. I watched The Biggest Loser and noticed that they are faces with daily temptations. I guess that is really part of it, learning to say no and walk away. It wears you down though.

I will be back later.

Susannah

stormy1
12-31-2004, 11:55 AM
Susanne, welcome back. 90 minutes at the gym, wow! Are you going back to school next semester? Also, do not worry about the scale. It will fluctuate. Go by how you are feeling, clothes fitting looser, etc.

Red balloon, hi! Happy New Year! Have a great time working out today and remember how awesome it will be to fit into some new clothes.

Little GH, how did your first day at the gym go? Did you do a class? I always felt like I worked much harder in a group class. It really gets me pumped up! I am so proud of you for doing this. The inches will start dropping off.

Crime girl, when does your semester end? You are almost there. I know that you will do fine. I gained half of my weight just last year b/c of school, I can not do that again! Thank you for being such a great leader!

stormy1
12-31-2004, 12:01 PM
Positive influences- this group!
Negative-sweets given to me from patients, friends, etc

My resolutions:
1)To gain more energy, to lose at least 30 pounds, and to maintaing this lifestyle change
2)to get at least seven hour of sleep. I NEVER get this much. Everyone needs sleep to replinish the body plus it assists in losing weight. I find myself up after midnight still doing school work, work for work, housework etc. There are not enough hours in the day.
3) To make it through school

stormy1
12-31-2004, 12:05 PM
Yuck. Now I know why I do not eat pasta but a few times a month. It was so good when I was eating it. Last night I could barely sleep, I tossed and turned, my stomach felt like a brick. Today I am sluggish and feel like crap. Why did I do that to myself? It is not worth it. I am going to chill out a little bit and work out in about an hour to see if it helps. See that is a problem when you start eating right, your body begins to know when you put crap in it!

kjk123
12-31-2004, 12:40 PM
Good morning!

Happy New Year, Red! Enjoy, and be safe!!!

Stormy - thanks for the advice...I think that maybe when I've lost a bit, I'll return to some of my classes at the Y. It's just that right now, I feel like I need the privacy of my own home to work at my own pace and feel good about it. Thanks for the suggestions about the ball and free weights as well. I have done Tae Bo in the past, I lost 40 pounds the last time I did it on a regular basis. I will definitely watch the knees, that's the last thing I need!

CG - you can poach off of any suggestions any time! Hopefully we'll both find things that are interesting and work for us. I'll keep you posted on my search!

I think I listed my resolutions prematurely, but I'll list again for today:
1. drink lots more water!!!
2. eat more well-balanced, healthier foods that follow my WW plan
3. work out 30 minutes at least 5 days/wk
4. have more confidence in myself!

Have a great day - if I don't check back, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Be safe!

Kelly

little grasshopper
12-31-2004, 12:55 PM
Hi guys!

Susanne - good to see you!!! I'm glad you're still posting! Keep fighting, you'll start dropping weight in no time. So for the scales - I have a special relationship with them.....I got on them today. There is just NO WAY they are right. I'm not in denial either - I'm being realistic. My clothes fit me better, my body feels tighter and I see muscle - the scales on the other hand say I'm gaining weight. I'm not even going to worry about it anymore. Get a tape measure and have fun!

Stormy - You have a lot on your plate!! Crime Girl, you do too!! I gained most of my weight in school too. When everyone else was moving to a healthy lifestyle I was falling away from mine and gaining weight. I think that's also where I developed a lot the endocrine problems I have now. I was horrible!! I'm glad you guys are on the path to better health!!

Redballoon - how is 2005 over there :) :) How neat that we're in two different years right now :) I'm going to celebrate a little for you tonight :)

I went to the gym today. Did 15 minutes on the treadmill (bf and I are going hiking today) and then did light weights for 45 minutes. Just getting the joints moving and use to the workout before I add any real weight to it. I thought I'd remembered everything but I forgot my arms :) oops! I also discovered that my gym has a steam room. :) I love those things!!! Very good for detoxing - IF you watch your water levels. I am planning to make use of it next week :) Maybe sunday.

Well I'd better get moving we have a 5-10 mile hike ahead of us. Taking the dogs too :) they'll have a blast! Packing a lunch and making a day of it. See you all soon!

Crime girl
12-31-2004, 02:30 PM
WOW! You guys do some serious posting when I am not looking. :D

susanne- YEA!! So glad you are back! You have been busy with a lot lately. Good job at the gym! :cp: Keep that up and you will be well on your way. I know what you mean about daily temptations- my office always has some kind of sweet in the kitchen. Unfortunately that is where the water dispenser is so I have to go in there to refill my water and face all that sugar. :mad:

little grasshopper- I am glad you are going hiking with bf. So he didn't spoil your day then- good! Have fun today. Don't start eating when you get stressed- I know it is hard though because I respond the same way. I try to find something else to do when I get stressed or upset but that doesn't always work.

kjk- great resolutions- mine are almost identical. I added finish school and find a job in forensic accounting but other than that my goals are the same. ;)

stormy- I am currently out of school but in my program it is expected that you read ahead for the next semester. School starts on Jan 8th and I finish school on May 6th. I still can't believe I am in my last semester. It is kind of sad actually at the same time as I am feeling relief it is over. I will probably end up going to night school when I get a job and I still have to sit for the CPA exam and get my CFE certification.
You are so right about pasta- it does mess you up!

Today is nice- nothing really to do and bf is basically leaving me alone. Sometimes it is wonderful to spend some time doing your own thing. I like to end the year with reflection. Sounds deeper than it is- I also have been working on my book.
Okay-I will be on later!

stormy1
12-31-2004, 02:53 PM
Hi ;) I am feeling a little better. I just worked out for 55 minutes :smug: You think I even came close to burning off a bit of that pasta and bread :lol:

Does anyone have anything fun planned for the night?

CG-I have to start reading ahead too. In fact, I am about to get started on that. What a great way to spend the day,huh?

Little GH, I wish I was hiking. My hubby is working. It is 64 outside right now so it would be wonderful. It is great exercise too. We have on area around here that has a lot of rocky terrain and after you walk up what seems to be a million steps :lol: it turns out to be a great workout. Sounds like you already had a great workout at the gym :cb:

KJK, you will do great working out at home. Plus, as you know come Monday the Y will be packed :^:

This year will be different for all of us. The new year's resolutions will be kept :cheer:

little grasshopper
12-31-2004, 06:11 PM
That's all that needs to be said about that little incident. Let's just say I'm not craving TB anymore :(

I decided to have some wine tonight - after all , it IS new years. Shouldn't take much - I haven't had ANYTHING to drink since before Thanksgiving. I got a nice, mild red. I usually like strong reds but I'm thinking that since I'm not drinking and my tummy isn't use to it, I'd better be nicer to it :)

Hike was great! Beautiful weather and we finally got Maggie, the scared Lab to swim! She did just fine and was so proud of herself she kept tackling Mac! He'll actually swim with his head under and eyes open looking for fish. Freaky dog!!

Well I'm finally mostly into those jeans I've been craving. BF washed them though - oops! They weren't dirty - just broken in by all the times I put them on and stretched them, then took them off when they wouldn't fit. :) :)

I didn't give my resolutions...here they are.

1. better my overall health and fitness
2. improve the land we are buying and get it ready for building
3. put time and engergy into building my private practice
4. travel more - I've been home bound since going back to school...need to travel more. This starts Jan 28th when I go see my family in Arkansas.

Okay, tonight we're going to a couple's house - Stormy - you're right - it's VERY hard to find that perfect couple situation where everyone gets along well. We have a few that are mostly blended. They are out of town this weekend though :) I know we'll have good time tonight. You all have a great new years!!!! See you next year :)

redballoon
12-31-2004, 07:05 PM
Good morning. First day of 2005! It is an absolutely beautiful blue-skied morning here. Cold but no wind. Gorgeous. Well, I set my alarm for shortly before midnight last night. Woke up. Turned on the TV, saw a countdown and then went back to sleep! Just hate the thought of missing the actual changeover. ;)

So, yes, I'm going to get myself to the gym today. It's open for 6 hours from noon and last year it was crowded! Have to pay extra but it's worth it to start the year off right! :strong: I was even dreaming about working out last night!

You all stilll have a few more hours till midnight. Have fun! And to those of you out there maybe reading this and spending New Year's Eve alone, so did I. It's no big thing! :spin:

:wave:

redballoon
12-31-2004, 07:13 PM
Oh and heh, for all you budding Japonophiles out there, here's what happens here on New Year's Eve and around. Crime girl, saw your post and found this for you.

http://www.thelema.net/hml/00Shinto/chap_10.html

The ringing of the bell is a beautiful sound, so somber and meaningful-sounding. I used to do the whole thing, line up before some of the biggest shrines in Tokyo for hours before midnight, then, with total silence and the only way we knew it was midnight was from checking our watches, move toward the shrine at midnight, which took another hour often.

Tomorrow I'll make a shrine pilgrimage and wish for whatever in the new year. Boy, have I got a list!!! :sunny:

Crime girl
12-31-2004, 07:29 PM
Hey everyone!

Red balloon- thanks for the info- I love to learn about other cultures and beliefs. It is easy to forget that their are other rituals in the world.
Good for you going to the gym!! :cp: Great way to start the new year.

stormy-Good job on the workout! :bravo: To answer your question I plan to herald in the new year with my bf quietly at home. I really don't like going out and having to deal with all the drunks. :D

little grasshopper- Don't be too hard on yourself about Taco Bell. It is better to go ahead and get rid of cravings rather than let them persist. Wine is not all bad- red wine is suppose to be good for you in moderation. Have fun tonight and don't sweat it! We will beat you..er..I mean ..encourage you to get back on the horse. :lol:
Your hike sounded wonderful and I am so jealous.
Have fun tonight but be careful driving out there. :D

Well I just finished dinner and I am going to relax now. I failed to go to the gym because I feel a little under the weather. I PROMISE I will go tomorrow and get with the program. ;)
I hope you all have a great New Years and I am grateful to you all for the support this year! :D

Tomorrow is Saturday so it is a good day to look back at our week. What worked for you this week and what didn't?
The question is:
What were the best moments for you in 2004?

stormy1
12-31-2004, 08:06 PM
Little GH, have fun tonight. Be careful.

Crime girl, I am staying home too. We are ordering Mexican (I know, we had Italian last night, but all I have had today was a couple of pieces of turkey). Since i ate bad last night and did not do a lot today I really did not have an appetite. We'll open up a bottle of wine and watch a couple of movies. I do not want to get out on the road tonight either.

Red, I saw them ring the bell this afternoon on the news. Very cool! Hit that gym!

Everyone have a great night and look forward to the great year ahead of us!

redballoon
12-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Wow, I have so much catching up to do! Here goes, looking at the posts from WAY back!

little grasshopper -- your work sounds so interesting. I have always been interested in such things as you seem to have in your work. You say that you were taught to be grounded in school. What kind of studies were those? for massage or for reiki or . . . ? In any case, I hope you don't faint anymore. Though again, maybe this shows that you are really tuning in to your customer's energy. You have to take it to the next stage now.

Doesn't it just bug you when other people think they have you pinned for some certain personality. Me too, most people have it soo wrong. But heck, I'm not just ONE way, I'm many ways, so maybe they just pass judgment too soon. Why do they even pass judgment I wonder.

Good work on that gym stuff. Pedometers are good for keeping you in line. I tend to wear them, however, when I know I'm doing a lot of walking but it may be a good idea to wear it every day and record the dayend number. I know when I have one on I'll go out for little extra walks, climb some stairs in the office etc and that all adds up, doesn't it?

Crime girl -- Really hear you on the "eat out of habit when I feel anything is wrong." It's a response to anxiety, isn't it. I think it's natural. Some of my cats do it. It's starting to piss me off though. I mean, like the other day, my stupid boss snaps at me and I run off and eat chocolate, after being so determined not to. It's some sort of response to hurt. Maybe I should just go break something, or better yet, make a little voodoo doll of him and stick pins in it, snap its head off, smash it against the wall, I don't know, anything but why oh why turn it on me. Well, eating's not abuse, it can be very comforting but why comfort myself that way. Yes, have to find other ways.

Yes, I was engaged with my job. It was creative and drew on many of my abilities. The way I see it, my boss taking that work away from me was a way to shut me up, perhaps it was not meant literally (I was complaining about the lack of support from the rest of the "team," the inflexibility and unwillingness to change on others' parts in order to make better pages) but in any case that is the way I perceive it and feel it because it did shut me up in two ways, literally and figuratively in that it put a stop on the expression of my abilities. I suppose what I should do is just look to express myself elsewhere and really, there are so many other and better ways. . .

As for your question (old by now) of when did I feel the most fit and healthy? I guess that was back either when I was a kid, or if you want something more recent, then about 15 years ago when I was cycling to work, hitting the gym at lunch (we had a gym in the office) and after work. I didn't really even like my body then but when I think of it now, I was really fit and strong, didn't have any rolls, and yes, I see pictures and like the way I looked but it didn't last long. And thinking of it now, I guess being out in the world more, meeting more people and experiencing new things, I reacted in the old ways of "protection" and soon was back, though not grossly overweight, regressing in some ways. Oh well, we're all works in progress, right? A dance over the years with the addition of new steps. I sat down at the piano for the first time in months yesterday. Never have gotten any good. But I play some piece and want to ad lib, improvise, but don't know how. But I think the fact that I feel a lack and want to fill it with something of myself indicates progress, meaning there is something more there to express than before. Now, just how to do it!?!

So, bringing back the thought, wherever I was years ago isn't a place I want to return to, at least not JUST as it was then. I can take bit and pieces of things I had achieved then or ways I was and revive them, adding the best notes of today to create a truly beautiful medley, a medley of ME!

Oh baby, getting carried away. Caffeine rev!

This is getting long. To be continued. . . .

susanne
01-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Recap day.

Boy, so many messages Its hard when you are MIA and then trying to catch up. lol.

Crime Girl thanks so much for the structure you provide here. It makes so much differnece! I really do apprecitae what you do here.

My recap. I managed to jump back on here. And I had my first date last night. That's enough to make you not eat.lol. Hopefully the thought of my next date will help me survivedinner at moms today. I am hoping hte gym is open and I can work out first then eat at moms. It is a pain to keep going to he gym. Sometimes I get resentful. I see all these skinny people who barely move and its not fair. I need 5 miles a day and skimpy calories to make the scaled go down. OH! and I mentioned that I wasnt sure which I weighed, the 233 or the 230? well I was 231 this morning, and still that every time I jump on. Next week my goal is to see 229. Just get me into the 220's....

Does anyone else find it a bit scary sometimes to lose? Sometimes I do. Like, I am proud and excited but at the same times Its like I am driving to some place I have never been and it feels a bit unnerving. Does anyone else have that or am I just weird?

Good Luck Today Everyone!

Susannah

Michiemish
01-01-2005, 11:19 AM
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE....

Let see..recap for the week... i went to my weight watchers meeting even though i really didn't want to go..But i still went..Putting together a mixture of songs on my ipod that i can walk to also..starting monday... Well have to get back to work ..later

stormy1
01-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Hi everyone. Happy New Year!

Recap: No sweets this week, woohoo. Did great with the exercise but not so good with the eating. Ate Italian food one night and Mexican food the next.

The challenge this week will be school. I leave on Thursday and get back Sunday. It is very hard to eat healthy when I am up there at school. There are only so many Subway wraps that I can handle.

Crime girl
01-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi everyone!! Happy 2005!
This year I will lose weight and get healthy. I will also finish school and start working in a job I love- I hope. Alive in 2005.. :lol: .

Okay- for my week. I did really well with eating but I did equally bad by not exercising. I will, however, get into the swing of things this week. I am going to try to go to the gym at least 3 times next week. :D

stormy- I know what you mean about school and eating right. I am on the run so much when school is in that sometimes I am forced to grab something-I agree that there are only so many Subway wraps one person can eat. ;)

michimesh- good job going to WW! How do you like your iPod? ...I want one of those so bad! A mix of music is a great idea- I love to make workout mixes- it really helps me get motivated and moving.

How is your mom? I hope she is still doing well. I am glad that you are getting to spend some time at your own place. If you are like me- you miss your freedom and space. ;)

susanne- you don't have to catch up on everything. It is hard when you miss a few days to respond to everyone. Just pick up and move forward and let us know how you are doing. That is what we are interested in anyway. :D
I feel the same way somewhat about losing weight- it is more comfortable sometimes for things to stay the same. Change is a hard thing for most people. I wonder how things will change when I lose all this weight. The bottom line, however, is that I know the change will be a good one and I will get use to it.

red balloon- like I told Susanne- just catch up on what you can and move forward. With the amount we post it can be an impossible goal to totally catch up and comment about everything. :dizzy:
I am with you on not wanting to go back to the place I was at when I weighed an amount I was Okay with. There were other things in my life I was unhappy with that no amount of weight loss could make better. I asked that question because I wanted to remind people what it felt like to be at a healthy weight they were okay with. You can never go back and recreate the past but when I think about what I felt like back then I get inspired to feel that healthy again.
I am truly sorry about your job and I hope you can get back to the place where you feel like you are valued and appreciated either at that job or that you leave and find someone who will appreciate you. A person who actually invests in where they work is a hard thing to find and I am sure someone woudl appreciate your passion for what you do. Good luck! Who knows- maybe this is your year to excel at work. ;)

Okay- well I guess I should get on with my day! I woke up with a sore throat and headache so I am going to battle this off so I don't start the new year sick. :mad:

Hope you all have a great start in 2005!

little grasshopper
01-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Hi guys!!! So many us here - it's GREAT to see!!!! I'm soooo glad you're all here. It's the only place where people will do a dance for you because you lost 1/2 a pound!!! PERFECT! (no, I didn't lose 1/2 a pound...false alert).

Susanne - I think I know what you mean about being scared to lose. I think I sabotage myself sometimes because of that too. People treated me differently when I was thin. Like I was all body and no brain. I was in sales and worked with construction companies. Over half my companies thought it was funny that I was there sales rep. FUNNY??? But as I gained weight they began to respect me more. Maybe because of a lot of them were overweight too so it was more comfortable...maybe because I was taking the "sexy" out of the situation??? All I know is I felt more comfortable with them as a professional at a heavier weight. This time I'm doing it for health. I have to stay focused on health so I see cheating as sabbotaging my health rather than my weight. It's seems to be working so far.

Stormy - (everyone else might like this too) you won't BELIEVE the new years we just had. We were going to a couple's house...I needed the wine to deal with her. Turns out the wine was VERY good idea!! She flipped out at 11:30 - none of us can figure out why...her husband NEVER left the room we were all in! She flips out, packs a bag, tells him she's getting a divorce and 911 is programed into her cell if he touches her she'll dial. Then tells my BF that she is in a violent and unsafe place and he has seconds to move his car because it's blocking hers - before she calls the police. The husband to his credit was very calm through the whole thing. He never said a bad word about her and just handled it humbly. I'm thinking he's dealt with this before. Anyway, she was gone for about 30 minutes then came home and they went upstairs (we were stuck there, we'd both had drinks and were nervous driving) so she could yell at him some more. Then she FINALLY came down and took her meds and it was over fast as it started. So, the wine was a VERY GOOD idea :) Most interesting new years I've ever had :)

okay, weekly recap - cheated and got back on the wagon faster than ever before :) Signed up for a gym and have been working out. Walked every day this week. Eating not as good as it could have been in that I've been eating too much meat and nutts - not enough fresh veggies. Focus this week is on eating more veggies, less nutts and on working out 6 days :)

oaky, BF is waiting for me - have to go.

stormy1
01-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Little Gh, how uncomfortable that must have been for you. I do not like when couple's fight in front of others. She should be very embarrassed. I bet you are glad you had the wine. Sounds like she had too much wine. Some of my friends tend to get emotional when they consume alcohol.

CG, please do not get sick again. Are you taking a good multivitamin? What a way to start off the new year.

Susanne, back on the dating scene again, huh? So are you going on a second date with the same guy? Try to use the gym as motivation, I know that it can be very aggervating. I hate gyms when they are a meat market. All these people hitting on each other. On the other hand, hitting the gym will help you get to those 220s much quicker!

Michi, keep going to those WW meetings. It is another way to stay accountable.

Crime girl
01-01-2005, 06:01 PM
WOW- grasshopper- that girl needs to get herself on a mood stabilizer and maybe an antidepressant. I bet that was awkward- I also HATE when couples fight in front of me. I probably would have hit the wine bottle harder to avoid having to look at either one of them. Look at it this way though- you got a floor show without even having to pay for it. :lol:

stormy- I don't think I am sick yet- I think a lot of it is that the tempatures here keep changing. One day it is 70 degrees outside- the next the high is 50 degrees. I am taking a good multi vitamin and pretty much lounged around all day. I watched tons of TV and sat on my fat butt. I am starting to feel better- I think maybe I just needed a mental health day. Anyway- school is coming fast and you and I need to get in the mindset for school. :D

While I am typing I am watching "Growing up Gotti". Wow- these people make me feel better about my life. Her kids are monsters- no respect- it is like watching a car wreck. Man! I still can't figure out why she even gets a TV show. Her father was a mob boss- that makes her a celeb? I really need to change the channel.

Well- I will go for now. Have a great afternoon everyone! :D

redballoon
01-01-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi people, so glad to see some action here. I was looking for you ALL day yesterday, I was so down and out. But with the time difference I was totally alone! Boo hoo!! But I made it through and DID get to the gym. I was dragging but I did a little, jogged 3K and did a light chest/back workout and some crunches. What a wimpout for me though. I was really depressed and I know the reason. I got on the scale yesterday morning, mainly because it was New Year's Day and I thought I should face the number and just get on with it. Well, I was shocked to see the number. I honestly couldn't believe it because I'm still wearing the same clothes and I have lost so much heavy muscle. And I'm even lower than I was last month I know. Ah heck, it's so depressing when I think of last summer and how fit (thought still overweight) I was, how revved at the gym I was and just, damn, damn, damn. . . it really ticked me off.

But then I thought, OK, that was then, this is now, and I've just got to accept it and deal with it. It's so depressing though. . . Also, though, I'm trying to do it without the caffeine kick and that was major I think. I used to down a strong Starbucks and hit the gym all hyped up. Now I go in cold and people ask what's wrong. That doesn't help. I don't feel that bad but to them it's like a different person. Yeah, druggie, no druggie, I guess it is quite different. Now I start to understand why it's hard for people to get off drugs and alcohol when they're in a crowd that expects them to act as they've always acted.

OK, I'm rambling. You all must be sick of my long posts. . .

susanne -- Glad to see you back. I'm glad you had a date last night! Was it fun? Hope so, and hope the gym's open. Try not to see the gym as a chore, as something you HAVE to do. Try to see it as something you WANT to do, a treat to yourself, a reward. Those "skinny people" in there may or may not move much but they probably don't eat much either and even if they do, well, there's lots more people with the same body makeup and metabolism as well. Consistency is key. It's so easy to "be good" and then undo all that goodness in a few minutes. I can We have to change our habits. Don't get down. Please keep going to the gym and and watching what you eat. You will get there. The 220s are not that far away. The next step is never far away, and then it's the next and the next and the next.

And yes, I know exactly how you feel about being scared. I was just thinking the same thing. But, tell me, does your fear come from knowing that others will notice or from your own fear? I have fear and anxiety about others. I don't want to be noticed. No one believes it when I say it but I am very shy and hate people commenting on me. Maybe it's the criticism (even positive), not the attention. In any case, I don't want people to make comments. I said earlier I want people to judge me on my looks but actually I dread it because then I'm afraid I will think of them as shallow. Anyhow, what am I trying to say? I guess, just, many of us are scared but think of it as stepping out on an adventure. There may be some rough spots, such as the ones that little grasshopper mentioned but there will be a lot more good parts. And certainly, a lot more than you have now. You have learned a lot from being overweight. Take that experience into a new body and you will have a much richer perspective than people who have never been where you are now.

michie -- where do you go?! Sure wish we could see more of you. But so good to see you now. I'm with Crime girl and envious of your iPod! I would love to have one but they are quite dear. I'm worried about getting music for them and the quality. How is that and where do you get the music from (for free preferably). Good for you for going to your WW meeting. I don't think anyone really WANTS to go to the meetings unless they've lost but going even though you've gained or had a very rough week is soooo important. I used to go to WW meetings back when I was a teenager eons ago and I think more emphasis should be placed on keeping on keeping on. Maybe things have changed but I kind of doubt it. I was just thinking again yesterday how I want someone to tell me HOW to keep going when I'm so tired of failing, of not getting anywhere, how to try yet again and yet again and how to envision all these great things when I've never had them. I try and I'm learning to just tell myself to shut up! with the downer thoughts but it is SOOOO hard. Good luck to you kid!

stormy -- :bravo: on the no sweets! That's stupendous going. And what's wrong with Italian and Mexican?!! OH, I know, it's that those words mean mega calories, right! Well, they don't have to. In fact, you can eat healthfully with both and some of the best diets are based around them. Of course, going out to eat can be a problem especially if you're going to these chain restaurants where emphasis is on packing it in, the food and the calories. I was just reading how Italian cuisine with its olive oil and fresh herbs is one of the best for staying slim. I love fresh herbs and spices and am thinking this is what I have to force myself to do. Hard in my hole of a kitchen. Maybe I should start there. But good luck up at school. There must be other places to eat than Subway, no? Try to find them, try to think what you can do to avoid the pitfalls of fastfood. I am appalled when I go back to the States and see the food offerings, those Food Malls, or whatever they're called in the malls these days. Ugh! It's so hard to get something good. With so many people wanting to eat right, why do the companies keep pushing this stuff on everyone. You've got to rebel!

Crime girl -- Hope you feel better soon. You sure are getting sick a lot, aren't you? You were just over being sick. I had a sore throat the other day. It never developed into anything but I'm very blue these days and my voice sounds like I have a cold so I guess I'm keeping something at bay. Take care!

Good for you for doing so well with your eating last week. This is what I have to tell myself, perfectionist me, don't lump it because everything isn't just right. Aim to make it better than the last day, better than the day before, better than the moment's choice could have been. Sometimes we have to limp along, sometimes we have to crawl, but anything is better than lying there like a log!! You will move that bootie next week, Crime girl, even if it's just a wiggle and laugh and enjoy your weight loss journey!

lilttle grasshopper -- that was so interesting what you wrote about feeling more comfortable at a higher weight. That's awful that it comes to that. I think it's part of what I fear, especially in this male-dominated society. And my biggest annoyance is not the Japanese so much because they never come out and say anything, it's the foreigners here (and they tend to be types that would enjoy the male-dominated society, if you know what I mean) and the things they say. Now, I can laugh along or chide them for their vulgarities because, heh, I'm certainly not the focus of their attention. But IF I were, wow, what to do? I guess I'll have to learn. Anyhow, I think I'm too old anymore. Sigh of relief. . and yet not. . .

Great that you're going to the gym too and walking. Do you live in a walking kind of town. I know so many U.S. towns are totally for driving only. That's why I love New York. Last time I was at my father's outside of Pittsburgh I was stopped by the police who wanted to know what I was doing! Honest, they must have thought I was a vagrant. They even offered to drive me home but I told them I wanted to walk.

Oh, and crazy with your friend flipping out. If she's on meds (what might those be) and drinking? too, no wonder she flipped. I think it's extremely rude to fight in front of others but I have done it somewhat when I was drinking. It is embarrassing and I am ashamed and angry when it happens. It means, however, that it's time for that BF to hit the road!

little grasshopper
01-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Your right guys, I was very VERY glad to have the wine :) Her husband handled the situation very elequently...if you can do such a thing. He didn't fight with her at all, before during or after...they may be brawling today, but when we were there he made the situation much more tolerable. She just flipped...she hadn't taken her meds and it was obvious. When she finally took the, and they kicked in she was fine - went to sleep. Interesting night. Makes me look mostly sane to the BF though :) :)

Susanne - I wish you lots of luck getting back into the dating scene. Have fun and enjoy yourself! It CAN be fun. Most of the time it seems scary but hopefully it's all in how you look at it :) I am going to the gym tomorrow if you want to go :) Didn't work out today. Spent it with BF and it was worth it. I'm going tomorrow though and am kicking up the workout a little more. Doing good so far :)

Talk to you guys soon!

redballoon
01-01-2005, 08:29 PM
OK, gals. I made a new weight tracker and will show it now and then. I am going to weigh every Sunday, as Crime girl has directed (I'll be a day ahead of most of you though).

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-steps/slider-ard/lb/0/28.16/0/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

I am so teed at my starting weight. For the record, it's 72.8 kgs, which translates into 160 lbs plus. I wanted to make my tracker in kgs but see it only calculates in 1 kg increments, which is 2.2 lbs, so that's no fun! So, I'll do the math and post it in pounds. My scale is in kgs so it's a pain but . . . So, 60 kgs, or 132 lbs, is my initial goal. Now, I plan to have quite a bit of muscle so I am dense (in more ways than one I'm told!) but this is an initial goal only. I may go lower, once, and yes, I'm going to get there, I get there.

Wish me luck!

redballoon
01-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Grasshopper, your tracker isn't working and I've been wanting to help you get one we can see. I looked into it why it wasn't working and found:

There are three codes given you that you can cut and paste. You've pasted in the wrong one.

You should paste in the one that says BBCode, which is the middle one. You did the HTML Code, which is the first one given. The last is the exCode. Ignore that one.

You can either get that code and edit your signature with it so it comes up whenever you ask to show your signature or you can just stick it into a post and it'll come up right there.

kjk123
01-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Hi all...hope everyone had a safe and happy new year!

I stayed at home with one of my roommates and a friend of ours. No drinking for me, just Diet Coke. But we did order out Italian, and I had a calzone (REALLY bad)! But I'm trying to get all of this bad eating out of my system this weekend. My roommate and I are starting over together on Monday morning, better eating plan and actually making wholehearted attempts to work out!

Sounds like everyone had a good time and is ready to make 2005 our year! Little GH, what an exciting evening! Thank goodness for that vino!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, talk to you all later.

Kelly

stormy1
01-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Red balloon, sorry you were down :( . C'mon it is 2005, this year will be better!!! See you made a great step with your tracker ;) WE have about the same amount to lose so we will get it done together :yes: What do you think about setting little mini goals to work on together? Like 8-10 pounds lost by Valentines day, something like that. What do you think :^:

Little GH, that is funny, huh? Now your boyfriend won't think your that psycho after all, eh? Sounds like me, I tell my hubby look at least I am not as bad as so and so. They should appreciate us more, huh :p ?

CG, we all need a mental health day. I am trying to prepare myself mentally to hit the books. I find any excuse not to study. I'll clean up the house,etc :devil:

stormy1
01-01-2005, 09:37 PM
KJK, this Italian food will be the death of us! I tell you I can not eat healthy when eating Italian food. There is just too much good stuff to choose from. I am glad that you had a good New Years

little grasshopper
01-01-2005, 09:54 PM
hi guys. We went out to eat tonight. Could have been better but I was pretty good considering. I'm getting up early to hit the gym and get all this out of my system :) I did well today avoiding chocolate bars my friend left me for taking care of her kitties. I had to leave her house early so I wouldn't eat them!

Stormy - Mexican is my current down fall - there are many though :) I LOVE italian food! My dream vacation would be to Tuscany and someday I will go! I'll eat my way through the countryside :) I think I just love food in general though...doesn't really matter where it comes from :)

Red - thanks for the heads up on the ticker. I don't know what numbers to put in it now since I've not been weighing myself. Wednesday I'm going to have the fitness test done and I'm suppose to be measured alll over. I think I'll be a lot more sane this way. I'm sorry you were down. You're right though - you have to except it for what it is and realize it's not going to stay this way for long!! You have the power to change things and you're making great strides in that direction!! Just think where you'll be this time next month....and the next....you'll get to where you want to be and we'll be here for you the whole way!! Oh since you asked - the friend is bi polar and skips her meds WAY too often. Feels great on them and decides she doesn't need them anymore....bad cycle. We are close to her husband. He loves her a lot and it's hard to watch this mess, but we keep hoping one day she'll turn the corner.

Kjk - Monday huh - we'll hold you to that! Post her often those first few days!!! It will really help. We can make sure we're all here to get you through the initial change over! You're going to do great!!!!

Well I'd better get going - If I've missed anyone, you're probably tired of reading by now - so I'll say be strong and be skinny :) :) See you tomorrow!!

Crime girl
01-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Hi everyone!

little grasshopper- I know how your friend feels then. You guys don't know this about me but I am bipolar (also known as manic depressive). I can now understand how she probably felt last night. Off meds is miserable! You have no rational thought and in my case I thought everyone was against me. It is a lonely disorder. On meds I am fine and that is the only way I have been able to finish my BA and get my masters. Most of my weight comes from a defense mechanism from being bipolar and not knowing it. I would eat when I was trying to deal with the depression and manic cycles and finally someone told me "go to the doctor- something is wrong". I was pissed at first and then I went and it changed my life and I can honestly say saved it. I have been on meds around 6 years now. I would have committed suicide by now had I not sought help. Anyway- more then you probably want to know but there it is.

Don't beat yourself up about the Mexican food. It is irresitable sometimes. :D
I also want to go to Tuscany sometime and I absolutely love Italian food. Have you seen "Under the Tuscan Sun"? I love that movie and it makes me want to pack up and go over there. ;)

red balloon- I am sorry you were down. Don't put too much on your weight if you are working out and trying to reshape your body. You know you will gain more with muscle so keep that in mind. You can do it! :cheer:
By the way-we never get sick of your long posts- write as much as you like and get it all out. It helps to vocalize sometimes. :D Congrats on going to the gym- you are starting the year off right! You should be proud of yourself.

kjk- Glad you hopped on! We are here for you when you get ready to get back into it. Only you can pick when you are going to start. You can do it! Get on and talk when you can-we miss talking to you.

stormy-I am not sure if I am going to be ready once classes start. I will tell you one thing- my house will be clean and any other chore that needs doing will be done because I can put off studying with the best of them. :lol: I think my mental health day did me some good although I have now picked up sneezing, coughing, and a fever. Story of my life. :o
If someone mentions the word sick around me - I get sick. I am so tired of being sick. Diet and exercise will fix that right??

Okay- I am going to go.
Hope you all have a great night and a wonderful start to an exciting new year. We should all take time to appreciate that we are healthy and free and living our lives as we please. We are so blessed and it is easy to forget that sometimes. :^:

Tomorrow is weigh in day. You don't have to post your weight or weight loss unless you want to. Do what works for you. Tomorrow lets look at the week ahead and I think we should post what we hope to accomplish this week. Reaffirm where we are going. :D What do you think? I need a really short term goal to shoot for. :D
I will post the question for tomorrow in the morning.

redballoon
01-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Hi everyone. Glad to see some posts here now that I'm back home. I worked out today. Met another friend at the gym who was happy to see me. She said she's been down too so it helped me feel better. Is that sick, or what? I feel better because someone else feels bad?!!?!? But it did make me feel better to know someone else had had it rough. I jogged faster than yesterday and did some leg workouts. Felt good. Went to the shrine. There were too many people. Would have been a good hour in line. Took a photo of the people lined up and then went drinking! God! I must sound like a lush. But, no, I did a lot of walking and shopping before the beers. And it was with an old boyfriend and it was fun. Grabbed a taxi home. Nice chat with the driver. I always astonish them when I say I've been in Tokyo for 22 years!! Just home now, work tomorrow. Gotta get up early to do other proofreading work before going in to the office. You guys sound OK. Will catch up later. Glad to hear everyone writing and talking. It's a great feeling. You people are family.

Crime girl
01-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Good morning everyone!

Here is the link to the new Battle of the Bulge thread for this week:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=741785#post741785

See ya there!