Support Groups - Weight Loss Talk #1

View Full Version : Weight Loss Talk #1

Jane
12-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Hi Ladies!

Want to talk about your struggles and successes with weight loss? With a new year fast approaching, there's no better time to start a thread just for that. Let us know what program you are following, even if it's your own, and how you're doing

Next June you'll wish you started today.

Jane
12-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Well, it may be too hard to think of losing over Christmas and New Year's, but we need to have our plans in place!

Pam - Your weight loss to date is great! But Cristi made a very valid point on the Bio thread. At your height and weight, I would think you'd lose easily on 1500 calories a day. Your body may go into starvation mode eating only 800 -1000 calories a day. Since I am not a doctor or a nutritionist, I advise you to call your own health provider and see what she has to say about it. Once again, welcome to the Jaded Ladies!

Well, I was up a pound on the scale today, so will be cutting back a little today. Didn't get the water in yesterday and I know that's one factor. Extra munchies is the other, lol. The issues of maintenance are so much like those of losing, lol. But I am willing to do this for the rest of my life in order to never reach my high weight again!

What are some of your weight loss concerns?

RosieKate
12-23-2004, 10:11 AM
I caught myself today looking at Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem online......I guess I am feeling a strong desire to turn this struggle over to someone other than myself. sigh. I've been maintaining well enough through the holidays, but need a kick in the pants. BTW - I am not going to do the online stuff... it's just too expensive and I think I would be doing it for the wrong reasons.

Reading Thin for LIfe was a real encouragement and I may go out and purchase it to have on hand. It just really helped affirm that successfull weight loss can happen in many ways, I just need to find what's going to work for me.

Right now, to get through the holidays, I am counting calories. I keep a piece of paper on the fridge and keep a running total through the day. Trying to hover around 1500 cals a day. On that piece of paper I wrote a goal for the week: this week its' NO BLTs ( bites, licks, and tastes) I am also going to set a 10 lb reward for myself. I think its going to be a pedicure, maybe another massage. I'll figure it out. trying to keep it simple for now....

I'm so glad all the JLs are here - I really appreciate the support

Cheers

FrouFrou
12-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Great thread Jane :thanks:

I haven't done much in the way of weight loss but after the holidays that will change. I am fortunate that I haven't gained so I guess I have kind of been keeping an eye on it. I have checked into Atkins and just don't feel like it is something I want to do, DH either. So we are going to get back on track with WW. Although, I like the idea of being able to eat what you want sometimes for me that is a bad thing. I just need to stick to the points and I will be fine. Like Katy-I too need a kick in the pants-a swift kick! I do know that I can't continue the way I have and I don't want to be stuck at this weight for the rest of my life.

Already getting some goals set for myself which are very doable. I am also going to buy Dr. Phils WL Challenge on CD and listen to while walking.

Marti
12-23-2004, 02:54 PM
This IS a great thread!

I've been thinking over the last week or so about what I'm going to do this time that will make a difference. I even mentally went over everything that has worked for me in the past and then asked myself WHY didn't it work to where I stuck with it.
So now it's time to put all those thoughts onto paper. SEEING it all will really put it into perspective for me and let me see what was the one thing that caused me to stop doing what was working so well.
I honestly don't have a plan in mind right now, except to work out more. Being more active will be the biggest thing for me. Since Sony......going to the gym has been a thing of the past.

Time to change that and get healthy for my future.

PamPSM644
12-23-2004, 08:55 PM
Thank you for the concern Jane and everyone. I saw my doc last month and told them what I was doing and they didn't express any concern only glad I'd dropped the weight. I take vitamons and calcium and If I've been very good at the end of the week I may treat myself to a burger with fries or some pizza.Sometimes even a great big chocolate shake. I don't believe in making my diet a torture. The cals I do eat are ones I like,I also reward myself at the end of the day.If I stay with in my limits I get some cookies or a low fat fudge bar.I keep a journal listing all my cals for the day and if I walked.I try to make my diet interesting so I don't get bored or discouraged. After all half our battle is in our minds isn't it? :sman:

Jane
12-24-2004, 06:12 AM
Katy - yep, those BLTs will get ya! I used to lose weight counting calories, and recommend it as long as you focus on healthy foods, which I know you will.

Cristi - I can't tell you how happy I am that you'll be doing WW!! Will you go to meetings or doing it at home? My trick with being able to eat "anything" is that for trigger foods, I only buy little bits at a time. If it isn't here, I can't eat it, lol. Not only that, but before long, you just don't crave it as much anymore. I never thought I'd say that about pizza, Doritos, etc, but it's true. The thing Dr. Phil said that got to me was basically "either you want this, or you don't". Not his exact words, but close. I decided I wanted it!!

Marti - good idea to put it all on paper where it's clear and to the point. If you haven't read Dr. Phil's book, you might want to. I don't agree with all of it, but he sure makes you think!

Pam - yep, once I made up my mind - that was it! Glad your program is working for you. I forgot - how much more do you have to lose? I wanted to lose 100 -120, but my face is falling, lol, so that's why I'm in maintenance now.

Well, ladies, although I plan to have a nice Christmas dinner, I do not plan to pig out. I've worked too hard to get where I am, and although I teased about needing a nap after Christmas dinner, I really don't think I'll do that badly....

Have a merry christmas, and I talk to you on Sunday.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail....

PamPSM644
12-24-2004, 11:41 AM
:wave: I think I have 70 more to go. For a person who's 5'10' I'm suppose to weight around 150.My son is so happy about how much I've lost. He;'s very good about not eating around me or asking me to cook fatty type food for him.When I first announced I was going on a diet he wanted to help motivate me so he said he'd buy me a nice newer car if I could lose 75lbs.When I reached 60 he was surprised and proud of me."Boy",he exclaimed with a twinkle in his eye,"You sure want that 78 pinto."God,I love this boy.(man to others)

Jane
12-25-2004, 06:43 AM
Something strange has happened to my taste buds - they don't seem to care that much for the old holiday standbys. I had told myself that I would indulge a little for Christmas Eve, but the sweets and desserts just don't have the same taste to me! They taste good - but not "oh so de-lish" the way I thought they would. This morning I'm craving my graham crackers w/peanut butter and an orange, lol. Yesterday's meal was the real challenge and I made it through! :cp: It's been 11 months since I started WW, and I think that way of eating is truly a part of my life now. What a blessing!

It's all quiet at my house - just waiting for the rest of the family to get up....
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

FrouFrou
12-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Well I am a little bummed because I was at least maintaining and weighed this morning and I gained two pounds! :yikes: I haven't weighed in a while and I probably should have been once a week to stay on top of it more. Not to worry tho...my Jan. 1 started today. I won't actually start WW till Jan. 1 but for now I am watching what I eat. Gotta get those two pounds off. I didn't think I did so bad as I didn't eat much but it was all those BLT's that got me I suppose. I was munching while I was cooking so when it was done I wasn't hungry-darn...Oh well, I know what I have to do now and I am making some menus to get started Monday. Ready to do this!

Jane~for now we will be doing WW at home. I would like to attend the meetings but we are cutting back on the spending. I know that that cost is for a good reason but it gets costly both of us going. But if it comes down to it we may go if we feel we have to. Isn't it funny how your taste buds change? I am looking forward to that. I have pulled out Dr. Phil's book and am rereading it-hoping something will hit me this time that maybe I possible missed. :dunno: I do plan on getting the CD so that he can kick me in the butt. It does more for me when I hear him than just reading the book I think. I just know I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. Don't want to be this fat anymore. I am glad you are doing so well maintaining and have done well with the losing. :cp: :bravo: to you!

Jane
12-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Cristi - well, it could've been a lot worse than 2 pounds! Thank you for your kind words. I truly was amazed that the fudge, etc. just didn't taste the same to me. (The cherry delight was still awfully good, though!) The same thing happened at Easter, if you remember. I just know you're going to love WW! And yes, having Dr. Phil's voice in your ear should be very motivating, lol.

I made a pot of WW veggie soup today since I've sort of had the munchies. It is 0 points, except for the crackers I add, which adds 1 point per bowl. I mentioned on the chit chat site that I got rid of all the desserts - I do love the cherry delight! But I know from past experience that I just can't have stuff like that in the house. Nobody who lives here needs it, anyway, lol.

I've been slacking off on the exercise, and need to get back into the swing of that....

How's everyone else doing?

Marti
12-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Well lets see. I can feel that my body has gained weight or the weight has shifted a bit. I finally faced the scale this morning and I only gained 2lbs. since the last time I weighed in...which isn't too bad!!

I got a compliment last night from a friend who told me that I look like I've lost weight (which has me wondering if the weight is just shifting around! :lol: ) and I told her no......I'm sure I've gained. It's not like I'm pigging out on food...its just my choices of what I eat.

I plan on cutting back on some of the "naughty" foods and bringing back more veggies and definately more water. It seems that the more water I drink the more I want it. And that REALLY helps my weightloss efforts.

I was wanting to join in on the gym membership w/James but now....with the car episode...I really need to cut my spending and try and save. So I'm just going to have to make myself figure out a workout routine here at home. I'll benefit w/saving money and toning up the body......So I know I need to do it.

time for me to change my tracker!

Jane
12-28-2004, 08:22 AM
Pam - I forgot to mention - that's way too funny about the 78 Pinto, :rofl: My DH is in the same position, sort of. Now that I've lost so much, I need all new everything! I've got enough for winter. Not an abundance, but enough. But for spring and summer - all I have are the t-shirts I wore to Disney World in October. I have no capris or summer things. My good friend and I are planning to go to Indy on March 21st to stock up, lol.

Marti - January's Oprah magazine has some exercise cards to pull out, and are supposedly very effective. Check it out, ok? They look doable, and are some of the "8 minute" ones. You only do 2 a day.

My weight is holding steady in the maintenance range. :cp: As I mentioned to Cristi, my biggest problem right now is getting this bod toned up. I think I need a designated workout time each day. And I do think I should include the ones I just told Marti about. Even a jaded lady like me could do 2 a day!

What's your biggest challenge right now?

RosieKate
12-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Right now I am having a hard time with leftovers...so today I am cleaning out the fridge thoroughly. I haven't been keeping track of my food so well with the holiday, so I am back to doing that.

My challenge for this week is to sit down to eat...kind of blew it yesterday when I ws fixing dinner, but today is another day you know!

I weighed in and, not surprisingly, no change. But then again I have been indulging, so I am glad there was no gain.

FrouFrou
12-28-2004, 02:04 PM
My biggest challenge right now is getting the water down. I have to get back in the habit again. It has been so long since I was drinking what I should be drinking. I need to leave the diet coke alone, maybe just have one a day. Now that is a big challenge-doing away with the diet coke. It's hard because I have never been a water drinker, never really had a taste for it. So far the food is fine. I fixed dinner last night and only ate half of what I put on my plate so that part is going fine right now. Slowly working exercise in my routine-that will take a while to get used to again and do on a daily basis. But I am working on it.

Jane~you're right in that it could have been more than 2 lbs. But still that's a step backwards and I hate that. It seems for every step forward I take, I take two backwards. I was fine with maintaining for now but I just hate to see a gain, just that much more I have to lose. But I am working on it. I am going to have to try the veggie soup-I do love veggie and tomato soup. :T

Katy~WTG on maintaining! Yes, it is better than having a gain so I owuld say you are doing great! It is just as hard to maintain as it is to lose but I know we all want to see a loss.

PamPSM644
12-28-2004, 05:23 PM
Jane,Doc Phil is so right about getting it out of the frig. I gave away as much as anyone would take.I even took the unopened non-diet soda over to the neighbor and gave it to him. So far today I'm back on track. I didn't get to walk because it's nasty out,cold,wet and rainy. It so easy to eat a little extra and say,"I'll wait until tomarrow to start",then that gives you the OK to go fill up the rest of that day. NO,no,no. :eating2: :tied:

Jane
12-29-2004, 09:06 AM
Katy - are you referring to BLTs? They'll get ya, lol! But I think you maintaining over Christmas is wonderful! It's so hard to not gain.... You can already tell such a difference in your recent photos. I was truly blown away! You look younger, too.

Cristi - have you tried the tiny Crystal Light To Go packettes for water? I buy them to keep in my purse and use in (free) water in restaurants. Took them to Disney World, too. That would help you get your water in. WW lets you have half of your water flavored like that. Just a thought. YAY for eating only 1/2 of what was on your plate. What a nice NSV!!!!!!

Pam - so glad you're back on track! Feels good, doesn't it? Dr. Phil's advice has helped me a lot. Especially the "either you want to do it, or you don't" part. I got tired of farting around with it - spending more energy on worrying about what I was gonna do than I spent actually doing it, lol. Does your MD cause any specific problems with losing? Is exercise hard because of it?

My exercise today is going to be spring cleaning the living room. Lots of bending, stretching, and squatting there! Can't do the windows yet, because it's too cold, but I can clean the walls, furniture, ceiling fan and all the knick knacks. That ought to jump-start my metabolism, lol.

How's it going for you?

RosieKate
12-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Jane - Yeah - those BLTs are kicking me in the butt this week. I think I am really close to TOM and I am getting the munchies really bad :( I walked for an hour yesterday on my own, then hooked up with some neighbors and walked another hour. And we took the kids to Zoolights - our zoo has hills ...so we ran around there for another hour. I think I am keeping the weight gain monster at bay with all the activity, but would love to welcome the weight loss angel! Thank you for your lovely compliments...I keep a folder on my computer of photos of myself as times goes on, so I can remind myself that I have been losing...even tho' it just doesn't seem like it now.

Cristi- I am concentrating on getting more water in as well - sometimes it helps to give it a lemon twist - stills counts as water but makes it a bit more tolerable. I like to heat it up in the microwave. I have these 16 oz glasses and I try to have one as soon as I get up, then one with every meal and snack.

Pam - good job getting yourself back on track! I think you did yourself a big favor by getting rid of your soda. I gave up soda of all kinds about 17 years ago... It is much easier to get the recommended amounts of water in without pop around. I have the Dr. Phil book and I think I am going to pull it out to refresh my memory. I think he has some tough wisdom that I need to hear...don't care for his writing style..but that's just being picky I guess.

Well, ok....today is another day! Today I am still working on sitting down to eat... or no eating while standing...( see Geneen Roth) I have another chiro app't today and have a massage after.. so that will be detoxifying and will help me feel real relaxed and healthy. Other than that I am going to pay more attention to getting my water in....

Don't have exercise planned yet as I have a pretty busy day, but might get the stepper out of the garage and try to squeeze in 20-30 minutes tonight...

? for you all - I have normally been real anti- meal replacements ( Slim-Fast, Atkins Advantage and the like) but I have read in two places ( Dr. Phil and Thin for Life) about how they can work for healthy weight loss as long as it is accompanied by lifestyle changes. I've got this maintenance thing down... Haven't had significant weight gains except when pregnant for at least ten years or so....but I have the hardest time with plateaus.. so I must say I am tempted...what do YOU all think?

FrouFrou
12-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Thank you ladies for the advice with the water drinking. Jane~didn't even know Crystal Light had the packets, now that I would definitely be willing to try. Not really big on lemons tho Katy. Don't even like lemon in my tea or lemonade so I know I probably wouldn't like it in water. Did pretty good yesterday with the water drinking, for me anyway. Since I haven't really been drinking much at all I did get 2 1/2 16.9 oz bottles down, so it's a start. Sometimes I get tired of the diet coke but I have to have one to start the day even to it is caffeine-free-it is my coffee.

Katy~I see nothing wrong with the meal replacements. A few years ago I did the slim fast bars but had to add a piece of fruit with it sometimes. I think sometimes when you hit a plateau you have to try something different. I just wouldn't do it for long and for more than one meal a day. Or even maybe just do it for one meal a day 3 or 4 days a week.

Sorry...gotta cut this short V is needing some help with something upstairs.

Jane
12-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Cristi - I don't see anything wrong with starting your day with a diet Coke. It'd be different if you guzzled them all day, lol. Btw, the crystal light comes in lemonade and raspberry.

Katy - I think Cristi hit it right on the head, and I agree with her. Personally, I want FOOD at mealtime, lol. But I can see how this may be beneficial to you at certain times. Let us know how it works out if you try it, ok? Some people freeze them and eat them like a blizzard..... could be interesting!

FrouFrou
12-30-2004, 10:35 PM
Actually Jane there was a time I did guzzle diet coke all day long. I still do once in a while. I know that is not good as I have been drinking sodas for waaaay too long. But I have cut back and am concentrating on two bottles of water a day for now, no more, no less. I figure if I can make 2 bottles a day a habit then I can follow with a third and then a fourth. I will have to get some of the Crystal Light packets. Went to Wal-Mart today and totally forgot. I do like the raspberry.

Doing pretty good with the water and food this week so far. Haven't actually started counting points yet but I have been watching what I eat. Now to work on the walking. Haven't been able to do the WATP videos this week because the house has been a mess but will do it this weekend.

RosieKate
12-31-2004, 09:19 AM
Still wrangling with munchies inthe p.m.....but it's getting better...I have been exercising alot this week, so I continue to maintain.

RE: Meal replacement - I did some searching on the internet and was put off by prices of some of them. Then I looked at their calorie content and thought I could do better just sticking to food...I mean I can make a little omelette with egg substitute and laughing cow cheese for less calories than one of those shakes. But it can be a kick in the pants, so I 'm not ruling it out completely. I am going to restrict and count cals ( probably do WW Fast start) til February, then re-evaluate,,,,

Today I am counting my water oz. and I am walking for a hour in the morning. I do plan on having some champagne and truffles with my sweetie tonight, but plan on keeping a tight rein on the rest of my cals. today....

Jane
12-31-2004, 09:47 AM
Cristi - way to go, starting with 2 bottles of water and working up. That's a good way to work on increasing it. When I first began drinking lots of water several years ago, I wrote the numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4 in permanent marker on my write-on board in the kitchen, down in the corner. Then everytime I refilled my 16 oz. bottle, I would put a check mark (in the wipe-off marker) by the next number. I'm such a doofus, I'd forget which number I was up to, lol.

Katy - I like how you plan ahead! Works for me, too. Have fun with your sweetie tonight!

Marti and Pam - how're you guys doing?

I still am not exercising the way I should! Thought I'd do some Spring cleaning and get a work out with that, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm going to wait until Zane is gone, and Katie and Neal are back at school. However, the treadmill is still sitting there waiting on me... <sigh>

PamPSM644
12-31-2004, 12:21 PM
Jane, and Ladies,my MD has been a big cause for not being able to exercize. My particular MD causes the muscles in the hands,feet, and lower arms and legs to artrophy. There are few if any muscles left in my lower legs and my feet dangle pointlessly at the end of my legs. I had to remember to raise them up high to walk at all or the toes would drag and I'd fall . What has made all the differance are my new leg braces. They are lite weight plastic that go into my shoes and under the foot. They go up the leg and fasten around the calf with velcro. They are wonderfull. I can walk without fear and doors have opened I thought were closed. I've wanted to go back to Disneyland at least once more before I kick the bucket,(not for a long time),but thought I couldn't. Now that I can walk we're planning a return this spring.With losing the weight and being able to walk my quality of life has risen so much. I'm happier then I've been in so long. It's even easier to deal with my sister now. :strong:

Jane
01-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Pam - wow, it's really great that you have braces now! From one Mickey lover to another - have fun in Disneyland! I love Walt Disney World in Florida, and would love to visit Disneyland CA, too.

How's everybody else doing? I'm just trying to make it through the weekend without eating too many points, lol.

Marti
01-01-2005, 10:20 PM
I've been guzzling water like crazy.....but also been snacking on this and that!

Right now I've got TOM hanging around and the cravings are just hanging around. Usually I don't eat at all during this time, but this month.....it's enjoying the holidays. :dizzy:

I MUST get myself in order soon!!

FrouFrou
01-01-2005, 10:57 PM
I have actually been doing good with the water-getting my 2 bottles down. Food is great also... watching what I eat...now to work on the exercise. V heads back to work Monday and I can get some done! For some reason when he is home I never seem to get anything done.

Pam~how cool to go to Disneyland. I haven't been in years and am dying to go again-one last time. I know you will have a ball-who wouldn't? It's Disneyland! Glad you have the braces! Cool they are light weight plastic and not the metal ones. My cousins DD had those for the longest time-she has spina bifida (sp?) Those were just so clunky.

Jane
01-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Yikes! I ate too much Friday and yesterday, both. We ate out yesterday in Evansville (it wasn't planned - we thought we'd be back home before supper) and once I got home and figured up the points for what I had, I was ashamed of myself. :( Now I'm back to using the points I used pre-maintenance, for a few days. I guess as long as I nip it in the bud, that's what counts.

I had a very good NSV New Year's Eve. I was at the dance, sitting at the table, and waved to our dentist's office manager - she has taken a lot of time off this year, and we haven't seen each other since April. She waved back, and came over to our table and said she had to look and see who I was with, to know who I was!

How's it going for you?

RosieKate
01-02-2005, 09:48 AM
Good morning!
Day one on Fast Track - done! I know this isn't the old 21-day challenge, but I'm kind of using it as one as I think it will help keep me focused on staying OP. I discovered a large container of chicken bouillon, so I made up a quart or so and drank it hot for a mid-morning water portion. It was really good. I had been to Winco and was trying really hard not to eat any of the yogurt pretzels I bought for my daughter and the bouillon really took the edge off. Thought I'd share that for my tip o' the day for all you gals having a hard time choking down all that water ;)

I am thinking that if I can stand it, I will Fast Track through 1/31. I know WW says to only do it two weeks, but then again I already have alot of healthy practices in place, so I'm thinking I can get away with a longer stretch of calorie restriction, as long as it's not permanent calorie restriction, right? I figured this was a better alternative to the meal replacements I was considering.

Jane, hurrah for the NSV! Someone paid me a compliment over the holidays about looking like I had lost - that perked me up! I have never had someone not recognize me, tho'....sigh....maybe someday. I think you are handling your maintenance well, since I just read Thin for Life, it seems to me you are doing all the stuff that book says a successful maintainer needs to do. You've really made a lifestyle change. Hey, are you going to post any before/after pix?

Marti - can TOTALLY understand feeling the need for a kick in the pants! I really indulged on New Year's Eve...everything just tasted so good.... and I was in an eating kind of mood. Yesterday I was just a tired listless blob all day...today I feel more normal.

Seems like the board is getting some new people which for the new year ,I imagine, is not unusual. Maybe we should have a new pic thread? With links, of course!

Pam - great news about the braces...talking about a lifestyle change! you are going to have some decent mobility - what a great gift. Hey enjoy Disneyland!

See everyone over in Chit Chat

Jane
01-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Katy - I'm not surprised that your weight loss got noticed over the holidays. I can really tell a difference in your photos, and you're looking great!

Cristi - I know what you mean about the fam been around and changing our routine. Katie goes back to school tomorrow and Neal has some office hours this week before classses start next Monday. I'll miss them, but at the same time, I'll be glad to get back to normal, too.

I walked the treadmill today for 30 minutes. I meant to do 40, but things kept going wrong that threw me off. First, although it was plugged up, the reset button needed pushed, and I didn't know it. Then, the lamp wouldn't turn on because it had gotten unplugged somehow, and the plug in is behind the piano, so I had to get Neal to move it for me. Then, my batteries in the cd player needed replaced and I didn't know it until I was ready to walk! When I finally got going, I had to hurry to make it in time to get cleaned up and pick up Caylin. But it sure does feel good to walk. It was worth all the trouble, lol.

Tomorrow I'll do my criunches and arm presses. I think I'll put an exercise calendar in the kitchen where everyone can see it so I'll be too embarrassed to slack off. What do you think of that idea?

Did anyone else check out the January Oprah magazine for the exercises?

Marti
01-03-2005, 07:20 PM
What an excellent idea Jane about the calander. I should do something similar to that. (and put a photo of myself at my heaviest)

Well, I've dragged out all my resistant bands and have them handy for when I finally figure out my VCR to hook it up and do my tapes. (I really should buy some DVD workout videos!) But until then, it's just doing what I remember. Also plan on dragging out the exercise ball out of my closet, brush of the dust and apologize to it for neglecting it so much! :lol:

I also have some little gadget things that I can do push ups on the floor. Not sure what you call them, they're like handles.......they really help me w/the upper body portion. I start out on my knees then I work my way up to knees off the floor. Baby steps I say!

Since I'm needing to be frugal w/my money and can't just jump into a gym membership commitment (right now anyway) I'm going to make the most of what I've got here at home. One of these days I will have enough money saved up for a treadmill that I've been wanting!!

Has anyone ever tried the Gazelle? I think that's what it's called. You get on it and it's almost like you're skiing? I've seen them advertised for cheap, and I've gotten on one to just check it out, (seemed like it would benefit) but not long enough to know if it would be worth getting. Let me know if you or a friend has tried this!

Jane
01-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Marti - yay for you, getting out the exercise equipment! :cp: I did have a glider, like the Gazelle, and used it religiously when I stopped smoking. (I only gained 11 pounds when I quit, which was good, because I wasn't watching my diet at all.) The one I had wasn't as good as a Gazelle, because the handles didn't move, but it still made me work up a sweat! I placed it in front of the TV every morning and would watch LA LAW reruns, lol. I just gave it to my friend recently to use for the same reason! But I would recommend you getting one of those, Marti. The one I had folded up nicely, too, in-between workouts. One tip - if the "joints" start squeaking, spray a little Pam on them, and they'll quiet down again.

FrouFrou
01-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Let's see...what's going on with the weight loss? Well, I am down 1.5 lbs. Almost got that 2 pound gain off. I was hoping for more but I will take what I can get! Still drinking the two bottles of water and watching what I eat. Haven't actually started counting the points yet. Going to buy groceries hopefully tomorrow and will be making some menus before I do so. Haven't gotten much exercise in. What I have been doing is using the stairs from the main floor to the basement as a sort of stair stepper. I have been going up and down them 6 or 7 times for exercise. I am just not feeling up to par for some reason since Christmas. And it is the week before TOM so that could just be my problemo.

Marti~good for you getting all the exercise equipment out. Another good thing to do or get is a jump rope. I plan on getting one when I go shopping tomorrow. I used to have one not sure what happened to it. I haven't tried a Gazelle but it looks so similar to the elliptical I would rather got with the elliptical. it has got ot work if they are similar. That is my next piece of equipment to buy.

Jane~I actually printed out a sheet, a sort of calendar for exercise yesterday. Got it off of here. It has the full week and you write down what you do and record the time. Haven't checked out Oprahs January issue-was thinking about getting it when I go to the store. I did resubcribe to her magazine tho. I had gotten it for a year and then didn't renew, not sure why because I like her magazine. Probably because I get too many and was trying to cut back. :lol:

Anyway, on with the day.

Jane
01-05-2005, 11:17 PM
Cristi - just now saw your post... YAY for the 1.5 down! :cp: I also let my subscription to O lapse. I liked most issues, but not all, and since she spent the whole issue on one basic topic, it seemed like a waste if I didn't care for it that month. But the January one is good, imho.

Well, I'm doing fine with the food, water and exercise. My treadmill was making a funny noise today, though. Not sure what it was. Hope it's not going to quit on me, lol.

Did anyone watch Dr. Phils new weight loss team yesterday? I missed it, so I went to the web site and got caught up.

Later,

FrouFrou
01-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks Jane! :thanks: I didn't catch Dr. Phil, haven't seen his show in quite some time...think since last year over the summer time. Can't remember if Ellen is on at that time? :dunno: No I think Ellen is on when Oprah is on and Dr. Phil is on at 3. Don't usually turn the tv on till 4 but boy did I miss it when it wasn't working. I found the same with O magazine...some issues I like some I don't. I hope your treadmill is fine.

I a doing fine with everything even tho I have yet to start counting point. I am watching what I eat and getting the 2 bottles of water down. Had a few more NSV-DS and I went to lunch yesterday to Red Lobster and I took three bites of salad, two bites of steak and two shrimp. Of course it probably had a lot to do with my stomach not feeling so great. Did bring it home but let DS#2 have it. Then for dinner last night and the night before I did not finish my plate again. I have been drinking a bottle of water while I cook so by the time dinner is done I don't want anything. While at Target yesterday I bought a jump rope, just a kids cheap one. Saw one that was cool but not for $14! :yikes: I don't need it to tell me how many times I jumped and what ever else it was it did. I can count so this little cheap one will suffice. Hoping Monday to actually get on an exercise schedule.

That's whats up with me on the weight loss front. :) Hoping to see at least another 1.5 lbs gone this week. Getting back to weighing in once a week on Monday again also. Hope everyone else is doing great!

RosieKate
01-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Yippee!

I didn't stay completely on Fast Track, but didn't use all the flex either. I think my point tracker turns over on Monday and I believe I've used maybe 15 flex...probably will be 20 -25 by the time it turns over. So my food plan is looking like 20 daily points plus I will allow for flex but not use them all.

I did my 180 minutes of exercise for the week and it didn't feel like much so I may strive for 200 next week.

drank all my water :)

Changed my WI day to Saturday, since Jan. 1 was a Saturday and that's when I started my new food plan.

Hope everybody else had had a good week also...see you in Chit chat

FrouFrou
01-08-2005, 01:25 PM
WTG Katy on the loss this week! :bravo: You are doing an awesome job with the eating and exercise-CONGRAT'S!

I haven't been able to get much exercise in because of my foot. Really need to get to the doc about that. Hopefully next week will be a better week for me as far as exercise.

Hope everyone is doing fine with everything.

Marti
01-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Decided to get on the scale since it's Saturday and imagine to my surprise....
I'm down 3lbs.! I'm an even 145 (that's not really even now is it?)..............now...to get pass that!

Congrats to Katy and Cristi for the weight loss! Girls, I think this year may be our year to reach our goals!! Or at least get really close to it!

Been drinking lots of water (I'm sure that's where the 3lbs come from) and I've cut down on the junk food I've been eating (sweets and christmas goodies) time for me to get serious.

I've talked to some people at work and there are lot of them who want to get in better shape (not all need to lose weight) and I asked about the membership to the gym at work...only $8 a month!! Can't beat that now can I? Plus, there are some co-workers who would join me in working out.
So.....we are trying to get creative and find a way to make some kind of challenge (not against each other, just for ourselves) to keep us motivated.

I'm excited and ready to check out their gym!

I'll keep you all posted on how that goes.

FrouFrou
01-09-2005, 01:46 AM
Geez Marti $8?! You definitely can't beat that price anywhere and you have people to go with you-that is so cool! I think my biggest problem in joining a gym is not having a work-out partner. I would enjoy going but feel so weird going alone. CONGRAT'S on the loss! WOW-3 lbs.! That is GREAT! :bravo: And I think you are right-I think this IS going to be our year!

Marti
01-09-2005, 01:56 AM
Cristi--I know, $8 is hard to beat! I was shocked myself, I mean, I knew it was cheaper than a gym everywhere else but $8? So I'm going to pull my butt out of the rutt it's in and join.
I'm also like you, working out alone feels weird to me. At home it's different....but at the gym....So I was very happy to hear that other people wanted to get serious about their health too. Really has my motivation going. (to keep it going is going to be the challenge)

Also, since I've come down w/this cold, I've been drinking tons of water to keep my fluids in and in hopes that I'll feel better soon, so I'm thinking that's how the 3lbs. magically disappeared. It's ok though....I'll take it! :)

2005......we're here to conquer!! :D

Jane
01-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Cristi - YAY for your NSVs!! Everything adds up to success! How's it going with the jump rope? My knees haven't hurt since I dropped about 40 or so pounds, but I think jumping rope would kill them, lol. And I know I'd have to restrain my boobs, lol. Good luck with weigh in tomorrow. :crossed:

Katy - could you adjust the points tracker to begin again on your weigh in day? Then you could remember it easier. Are you doing mostly Core? How was weigh in yesterday? I know it must have been good! You are doing just wonderful with the water and exercise, too!

Marti - YAY for you losing the 3 pounds!! OMG, a gym membership for 8 bucks a month is a steal! And working out with coworkers would be fun, I think. You get along so well with others, and have good ideas for personal challenges.

Pam - you haven't posted here for awhile... are you still with us? Hope so!

Well, I told you my treadmill was sounding funny. Unfortunately, it crashed yesterday. Neal got to where the guts are, and did some stuff to it, but said the motor is shot, he's almost certain. We bought that on Father's Day, June 20th, and I don't think it should have quit already! It came from Walmart, but wasn't nearly the cheapest one they had. But of course, it's no longer under warranty. With the expenses we've got coming up, we're not going to invest in another one quite yet. I've got some videos I can use in the meantime.

I've been holding steady within the same 2-3 pound range in maintenance. It will be up one day, and back down the next, lol. I still write down everything I eat every day, and am afraid to start tracking it in my head. I think that's where some maintainers get lost.

I love having this thread to come to for encouragement, don't you?

RosieKate
01-09-2005, 12:26 PM
This thread is GREAT for encouragement - thanks for starting it, Jane! Sorry about your treadmill...if you are thinking about getting another one, I'd like to give a little plug for GIJOES online. Their prices are comparable to Walmart and they have much better quality and a MUCH better return policy. My only Walmart purchase was a really bad exerience...so I wouldn't ever buy a piece of equipment from them again...I'm sure you are checking out Epinions as I speak ;) so I know you'll get a good replacement....

I do plan on changing my renew date on my points tracker, just haven't gotten around to it yet, but thanks for reminding me Jane....Check out my siggy.. I lost 2 pounds Wahoo

Marti - $8 a month for a gym where you work..what are you waiting for? What a geat opportunity.. what a smart employer.....Congrats on your 3 lbs...it's amazing what a little water can do.....

Cristi - I like the jump rope idea..in fact I have one in the playroom along with all my other exercise stuff. Just never thought it was meant for MOI....I'll have to be careful not to smack my kids.

I kind of went OFF-P last night, but back on track today...am journalling everything meticulously which seems to help. I'm incorporating a Zone bar (4 pts) here and there for meal replacement. Doesn't work so well for breakfast, which I think started me on my downward spiral yesterday. I need something more substantial in the a.m. I have found that it works well for a lunch meal replacement if I follow up with a 2 point snack around 2 or 3 pm. Along with a 5 point breakfast, that puts me at 11 points heading into dinner, which is a meal that mysteriously gets larger on me - don't know how THAT happens - hee hee

I am going to make some split pea soup today and some more refrigerator bran muffins so I will have some healthy options around. The refrig bran mufin recipe is a family recipe for lo-fat bran muffin batter. You make a huge batch of batter (4 dozen)and it keeps in the fridge for up to 6 weeks, you just bake up a dozen at a time. They are so yummy!I can post the recipe if anyone is interested...
Have a great day everyone
K

PamPSM644
01-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Still here and have great news. I've lost another 10lbs. That makes 70 total. I started at 280. I am so proud of myself it's embarassing. I'll start bragging to complete strangers in the grocery line. I wasn't as strict with myself around x-mas and New Years and was greatful I hadn't gained anything. I didn't weigh last week because I worried and thought I'd get discouraged. I love my diet,it works and the scale and lose clothing is such a motivation.I still have 60 to go so when I make it it'll be like losing a whole other person, :lol: I won't be missing her at all.

FrouFrou
01-09-2005, 04:22 PM
WOW! CONGRAT'S Pam on the 10 pound loss! Nothing wrong with bragging at all missy. Keep up the good work! :bravo:

Katy~I would love to have the recipe. I know they say breakfast is or should be the biggest meal of the day but for the longest time I never ate breakfast. That is where I went wrong because then I would be starving later-not good. So a muffin and maybe a piece of fruit is a good breakfast for me.

Jane~good job maintaining! Sorry to hear your treadmill pooped out on ya. We also got ours from Wal-Mart a little over a year ago and have had three of us using it-so far, so good. :crossed: I have always loved to jump rope-it is actually fine. I have been going out in the garage to do it on the concrete. Kind of hard to do on the carpet.

Marti~like you I will take the loss anyway it comes! Yeah, I too don't have a problem at home or walking around the neighborhood myself-don't feel I need a partner. Just the times I have joined a gym when I went there was nothing but skinny people and that is what made me feel weird. So I was trying to hide in the back.

I agree that this is a great place for encouragement. I am rooting for all of us that this will be our year! :cheer:

Marti
01-10-2005, 07:08 AM
Well lets see...what did I do today (yesterday) that I think helped in my new look on eating healthier????

Not much.

For breakfast I had french toast and bacon. (good...but not healthy good)

Lunch was a turkey sandwhich w/a little bit of chips. And the same for dinner. Drank 3-20oz bottles of water....not a lot of water.

Hmmm.....may have gained back those 3lbs.!!!

Tomorrow (today) I will be checking out how to join the gym at work. I'm not sure if I need to do it in person or if I can just get on the company intranet and sign up there. Which ever it is, I will be joining. Must make an effort to get more active.

I want to see the 130's again!!

My first goal is to at least lose close to 10lbs by summer. Plenty of time right? I hope so. It's going to take a real committment from me to make this happen.

Jane
01-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Hiya ladies,

Doesn't it feel great to be taking our health into our own hands, and seeing an improvement daily?

Katy - with everything we've got coming up, I just can't afford another treadmill right now, because my next one will be a very good one. But I'll check out gijoes. Thanks for the tip. :bravo: Way to go on the 2 pounds down!!!! That's just great, Katy!! I also make those muffins! I think it's the same ones, using raisin bran cereal, and eggbeaters, etc. I keep the batter for a while, but usually end up sending muffins to Neal's office. The secretaries love them. Haven't made them for ages, and don't even know the points.

Pam - :cp: 10 pounds!!! Like 40 sticks of butter, gone forever!! That's a lot of oleo, lol. This is the first year since I was in my 20's that I didn't gain any weight at all over the holidays. Feels great, and I didn't suffer a bit, lol. I would usually gain some, take it off in January and then give up on all the "old" pounds. Once again, bravo!

Cristi - having some protein at breakfast too really helped me. About walking, like you, I don't need a partner, either. Then I can go when I want and am not influenced when they skip out, lol. Be sure and write down your measurements. It's helpful (and amazing!) to see those numbers go down every month. I measured my bust, waist, hips, each thigh - they aren't the same, each calf, and upper arms.

Marti - hope you get all your info about the gym today. The first of June is 4 and 2/3 months away, so losing 10 pounds by then is doable. To me, June 1st says summer is here, even though the calendar disagrees, lol. Anyway, like I mentioned to Cristi, you might want to write down your measurements, especially since you're going to be working out in the gym.

I'm going to make a big pot of WW zero point soup today. I've kept my munching under control, but it's nice to have that in the freezer for when I need it.

Have an OP day!!

RosieKate
01-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Jane could you post the WW zero point soup...or just PM it to me at your leisure, please? I'm on a soup kick...and I'm the only one in my house that likes soup so I like the idea of making a bunch and freezing. I made a bunch of split pea soup with no ham yesterday. I figured the points were just 1 per cup, which seems very low. But really the only thing to count is the split peas...everything else is broth, veggies, and seasoning. If I had left the ham in it would have been 4 points for one measly cup!

I am going to do some calculations on the refrigerator bran muffins to try to figure out the points, then I'll post it. Sounds like the one you make, Jane

Todays menu
B - steel cuts oats, 1 tb soy nut butter, sprinkling of cinnamon sugar 5 pts
l - 2 c. split pea soup, 1 bran muffin - 4 pts ( need to check out pt on muffin 1st)
snack - popcorn ( 1)
D - working on this one - I have to take the car in for a Lube/Oil/filter which throws off dinner time. I think I'll have some leftover homemade pizza, which is about 5 points. I will probably also cook up some frozen carrot coins

So far that's 15 points...so I'll get some more in there..have some fruit in the fruit bowl that needs to get eaten

And we're off!

Have a great day I'll try to get back to do some individuals later

FrouFrou
01-10-2005, 01:35 PM
You know what Jane? It does! I am down 1 pound this week and it felt sooooo good to see it gone. I was hoping for more but I will take what I get. But it does feel really good because I know this time I will keep going. I don't have a time frame for losing all the weight or for my mini-goal and maybe that is what makes the difference. Before I mad goals but added a time frame and when I didn't make those I always was disappointed in myself which made it harder to keep going. So thanks to the tip about not being in a hurry. I think the Spiritual Weight Loss stuff really helped also. Now to think of what I want to reward myself with when I meet my first goal. Anyway...Also thanks for reminding me to measure...I always forget that and will do it as soon as I go back upstairs. I am starting the Leslie Sansone walking program if you will. It was in Womans Day I believe and I tore it out so will follow it for six weeks. Today I am to walk for just 15 minutes and I will do that to her video-easy enough. Then I think for weeks one and two it is to walk a mile each day except Sunday. I need to mix things up with the walking as the treadmill gets boring at times. Really need to get a tv in there. The weather is awful so can't go out to walk yet. I really prefer walking outdoors and I have probably said this a zillion times because once you get out and start you have to continue-there is no stopping because you can. If ya want to get back home ya gotta keep on truckin'...

Marti~hey, 3 bottles of water is better than no water at all. I am still doing good on the 2 bottles a day. Making it a habit before I move on to 3 so you are doing a lot better than me on the water. And yes, 10 pounds by summer is definitely doable! We are here for you to help ya ake your goal so just remember that.

On with the day and week ladies. Hope this is a good losing/maintaining week for all of us!

RosieKate
01-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Cristi - Yay for the one pound gone...never to return

Here's the recipe for refrigerator bran muffins. It requires a BIG bowl. It is my Grandma-in-law Ella's recipe and I wrote it as she had it, but made some notes at the end. If made as is they are 4 points each. But I stretch the recipe out to 5 dozen and I use cupcake liners instead of greasing the cups, so I got them down to 3 pts each.

Refrigerator Bran Muffins
2 cups boiling water
2 cups All Bran
3 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 cup oil
1 qt. buttermilk
5 cups flour
5 tsp. soda
2 tsp. salt
4 cups Bran Buds

Pour boiling water over all-bran and let stand until cool. Cream sugar and oil. Add eggs and buttermilk alternately with bran buds and remaining dry ingredients. Then add the all-bran mixture. Can keep dough in the fridge for up to six weeks. Bake in muffin tins @ 400 for 15-20 minutes. Makes 48.

My Notes: I shop at Winco, so I bought bulk bran flakes instead of all-bran. I also bought bulk wheat bran in place of Bran buds... and they turned out great. I also used dry buttermilk which worked well, but I know you can also substitute sour milk (milk with a bit of lemon juice), or you can you use nonfat dry milk. With the dry milks, I put the dry amounts according to the package then added a quart of water to the batter.

As I mentioned, I make them a bit smaller, so my baking time is right at 15 minutes.

This was a big hit at our house!

Stayed OP yesterday...
Today's menue
B - steelcut oats, 1 Tb soy nutbutter - 5 points
L - Progresso soup (2), spinach salad with chicken (3)
snack - popcorn (1)
Dinner - leftovers...probably 1/2 cup pasta alfredo 3, pork loin 4, some more salad

My exercise is to do some weights and yoga - about 25 minutes, also about 20-25 minutes on the stepper

See youlater
K

Jane
01-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Katy, there are several variations of the 0 points soup, but here's how I make mine:

Garden Vegetable Soup

Boil for 30 minutes (or until vegetables are tender) the following:[/B]
30 oz. fat free chicken broth
30 oz can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1/2 head chopped cabbage
1/2 chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced carrots

Then add:
1 can (no salt added) green beans, undrained
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Simmer til beans are hot.

Some people add zuchinni, and other "free" veggies such as cauliflower, broccoli, etc. I have been known to add corn or peas and add 1 point to each serving. Also an option is using tomato juice instead of whole tomatoes if you don't care for chunky ones.

Btw, Katy, when you have to be gone, like yesterday, you ought to try the crock pot Italian chicken. It is so good, and one of the easiest dishes to make.

Cristi - YAY :cp: for you losing the 1 pound!!! Have you thought of a reward for reaching your 1st goal? I've got a TV with no treadmill, and you've got a treadmill with no TV!! Too bad we aren't neighbors, lol. You'll be amazed at how fast the time goes when you have the tv on while walking. You could record Ellen and only watch it while walking.

Yesterday, I had a Tomato and Basil Pizza Burger, made by Morningstar. These are veggie burgers, and I used to eat them regularly, and sort of forgot about them. They are 2 points apiece and so good! Just wanted to share this!

Marti and Pam - how's it going?

RosieKate
01-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks, Jane....
I just bought some Carb-Option italian dressing so I could try your crock pot italian chicken recipe. How much dressing do I use?

I like veggie burgers...so thanks for the tip

FrouFrou
01-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the recipes ladies, although I have the vegetable soup recipe in the WW little book I have. Completely forgot about it. Question tho...just wondering how good the soup is after it has been frozen. Does it still taste fresh like when you first make it? I am weird in that I don't like leftovers so to me making a batch of soup and then freezing it is the same as leftovers. I know some things kind of lose a little flavor so was wondering if the soup does.

Katy~I definitely will be making some muffins and I love that it can be refrigerated for so long.

Jane~no, haven't thought of a reward yet. I keep thinking what is something that I would really like to have and ya know? Can't come up with a thing.

Jane
01-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Wait... hop on over to Weight Loss Talk #2! See you there...