Support Groups - Way Over 40 # 12

View Full Version : Way Over 40 # 12

Lizziepie
12-21-2004, 09:42 PM
Hi everyone: I think that 6 pages is getting just a little bit too long.

Kate: How nice to hear from you. Bet you are having some snow about now. We keep track of New York State and the places where we have family and friends. Hope you will stay with us now. Haave you been doing any reading of some good stuff?

Bernice-Alice: I think it is great that you two are going to get together. Now if everyone else would take Kate's suggestion seriously, we could have a big 'pow-wow'.

My good news is that I went to the Dr. today and I don't have to go back anymore, unless I have a problem, and I am not going to haave any problems. :D I acutally did a little baking today, but now am tired. Made some banana bread and a new orange bread recipe. I like to give something to our mailman, so I had to get busy.

Hi Barb, Candice, Siwa. Hope you are all keeping busy, and mayeveryone have a Blessed Christmas and a wonderful New Year. Ann

aleka
12-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Ann, that's wonderful news about not having to go back to the Dr. You got an early Christmas present. Yes, that would be great everyone taking Kate's suggestion seriously. Glad that you're feeling more like yourself.

I want to wish you all a :merry: Hope you have a great day.

Alice

Siwaoasis
12-23-2004, 12:59 AM
I'd love for all of us "over 40's" to meet. Ann and I almost met a few years ago. At least we talked on the phone from just a few miles apart. I'm willing to meet if others are. Just let me know when and where.

Lizziepie
12-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Just want to wish you all a :merry: Have a great day. Ann

Katey
12-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Hi All,
I'm on my way out the door from work, but want to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. I'll be away from a computer until Jan. 3 so won't be able to post again til then.
Have a safe, happy holiday!
I'm all for getting together!

Kate

muffinsmom
12-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a hAPPY nEW yEAR.Bet most of you will be happy when the shopping and baking and gift giving is over. I'm exhausted just passing the malls and seeing all the cars doing last minute shopping. My neighbors houses are all atwinkiling and it looks so pretty here even tho there aint' no snow. People are walking around in Santa hats and people are even pleasant to each other. Oh,the feeling shoud only last.
Ann, so glad the Dr has discharged you and I wish you many years of good health. Hope Phil is feeling better too.
Picked up my girlfriend from the airport today and I'm sorry there is no sun and it's cool . Had 3 fruit trees planted yesterday and I'm mentally picking and eating the fruit even tho it might be 2o yrs before these twigs look like real trees. They looked so big in the garden center.
Again Hapy Holidays to all of you. Bernice :)

Lizziepie
12-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Bernice: You will be surprised what a short time it will take for your fruit trees to have some blossoms and fruit. They do grow rather fast, and you are a lot warmer there than here. We have been quite chilly today. Cool and windy, which makes it seem colder. But we don't have snow:D:

Hi everyone. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. And :goodluck: in the New Year, with many blessings. Ann

aleka
12-28-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi,

Hope you had a nice Christmas.

Yesterday morning, I had FROST on my car!!! The windshield was covered so much that DH told me that I would need a scraper to get it off. Luckily I didn't have to go out just then. By the time we did get out, the frost was gone and it was in the 50's. It did reach the 70's by afternoon though.

I want to wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR!! and all the best in 2005!

Alice

Lizziepie
12-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Alice: You must be in the wrong location. Here we are further north and we did not have frost. :D: Quite cool, but didn't get down that far.

Hi Everyone.

Hope you all have a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Ann

Siwaoasis
12-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Had my last party today--the Curves ladies. Since many are on WW and most others on diets of some sort or another, it was a low cal pot luck. Low cal or not the selection was great and very tasty! Now I can think about putting Christmas away. Last year I wanted it all gone on the 26th and this year I don't feel that way. I can't figure out what is different this year. --My nieces ae coming over tomorrow to spend the day. I like to have them over whenever they have school vacation. I'd love to have them spend the night but the 8 yr old is afraid to stay away from home, even with an aunt or grandma. I think they should get to the bottom of this situation but.............I'm not the parent.

Doing nothing special for New Year's Eve. Just the usual fall asleep in front of the TV. big party people, we are!

Hope 2005 brings happiness and health to all of you.

Candicej
12-29-2004, 04:08 AM
I'm back........ :)
To update you on mom....we had a good visit with her on Christmaseve and even got some pictures, hope they turn out. They had 18 inches of snow down there and the whole town shut down, noone knows how to drive in the stuff! We almost got backed into in a parking lot. Ww were at my sister's on Christmas day getting ready to eat and we got a call that something was wrong with mom and could they send her to the ER for observation..so we told them yes...well she had a major stoke, whole rightside is paralized and she also had a mild heartattack. So I was with her all day and all night on Christmas and the next day untill 11:00 PM at the hospital, she is still there..my sister and niece are alternating staying with her. We just do not want her to suffer anymore...then I had to go to my brother's to pack for our trip home. DH had to go to the ER with a sinus and ear infection for medication, and now I am sick......my throat is so sore and ear and head and temp....the doc said I could try antibiotics but I said not right now ... let me try and fight it on my own since I do not tolorate them well...they make me so sick and I am just getting over the yeast thing!. I need some sleep but with this sore throat I'm not going to get it! DS leaves today, so doing some laundry right now. Still got some unpacking to do too. I hate being sick sick......and I worry about mom. Hope I didn't get anyone down there sick.

I feel too bad to read everything...but I am thinking of you all Oh I lost a pound :D

aleka
12-29-2004, 08:15 AM
Candice, I am so sorry about your mother and that you're very sick. Hope you'll be feeling better soon. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Siwa, have a nice visith with your nieces.

Anne, later that day we had frost it got into the 70's, so it wasn't all bad. ;)

Alice

Candicej
01-01-2005, 07:11 AM
Thanks Alice...... My fever finaly broke so I am feeling a bit better. They moved my mom from the hospital back to the nursing home Friday, don't know much more yet. I hate being this far away...if I Dh and I had not gotton sick I would have stayed abit longer. Got DS off too........he is up in Minniapolis for a formal New Years wedding of one the med students.

My brothers whole family had the stomach flu and they all came to Christmas, we were all so mad!!!!!!!!!!! But so far none of us have the up chuck kind!

Lizziepie
01-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Candice: So sorry about your Mother. I know a bit of what you are experiencing, since my family situation with my mother was much the same. There comes that time when about all you can do is pray.

Hope by now you are feeling much better. Doesn't it just 'frost' you when someone comes to a gathering and spreads their germs around to everyone. I remember one Christmas we were all in bed with the flu. My Aunt sent us Christmas dinner, and I put it on the table, we looked at it, put it in the Fridge, and all went back to bed. I'm glad that seemed to be a one time happening.

Siwa, Kate, Bernice, Alice, Candice- Hope you are all starting off the New Year well, and that it will be a good year for us all. Ann

ageoldie
01-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Hope everyone had a nice new year. Mine was kinda quiet. At least we both stayed awake and saw it end. First time in several years.

I ended up my year at exactly the same weight I started it with.
It didn't make me happy, but at least there wasn't a gain.

Have a good week.

Lizziepie
01-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Barb: Happy New Year to you. Somehow I realize that in my listing names I left yours out, but it wasn't intentional, just forgetful. No gain is good. My struggle is now to keep off what I lost when in the hospital. It was easy when I didn't feel like eating, but now my appetite is coming back:cry: I'll have to work harder. Hi everyone. Ann

Candicej
01-05-2005, 12:35 AM
Made a big pot of veggie soup tonight and topped it with some lowfat cheese, yum! Had a slice of Whole wheat bread and a bowl of fruit with walnuts....how is that for heathy eating! All for 5pts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I am having a cookie later with a cup of tea or hot chocolate...........not many cookies left I delivered the last of them to friends:)

Soon it will be time to bake again!

Ice storm here hope we don't lose power!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mom is not doing well.....I guess it is just a waiting game now to see how long her body will hold on. She is eating very little and still cannot speak or move the right side, she is back at the nursing home. They are supposed tob e keeping her comfortable but I hear she is not geting her meds to keep her calm....but she does dose alot.

Katey
01-05-2005, 09:35 AM
A very Happy New Year to all of you. I'm back at work...busy, busy! I confess that I didn't do very well over the holidays. Our son was here from Christmas day until the 3rd so it seemed to be one endless party. I was wiped out on Monday and couldn't wait to fall into bed that night. I'm back on track again with my eating and exercising. Actually I did get exercising in last week so I'm sure that helped some.

Candice: I'm so sorry about your mother. It must be difficult for you not living close to her. Soup sounds delicious. Think I'll make some over the weekend to take for lunches next week.

Barb: No gain is good when you consider the alternative. This year will be your year!!! We stayed up for new year's too. It was a quiet one at home.

Alice: You had frost...wow! It was quite mild here last week. We're getting snow today and possible sleet and freezing rain predicted for tomorrow.

Ann: Are you able to go to Curves? We're supposed to be getting another machine soon.

Take care. Hi Siwa and Bernice.

Kate

Lizziepie
01-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Kate: good to hear from you : I went over to our Curves yesterday to see about maybe starting up again, and talked to the owner.
but decided that I will wait another couple of weeks, as she says that even the leg machines which I was thinking I could do, tend to use the abdominal muscles. So I'm going to give it a bit more time. I'll just keep extending my walking. What machine are you getting?

Candice: your soup sounds good. Makes me want to make some. Sorry your Mom is
not doing well.

Hi all. Time for me to go off to dreamland. Been a busy day. I'll be back. Ann

Candicej
01-06-2005, 05:10 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/796538/green1.gif

Kate...'bout fell off my chair when I saw your post! ;)

Got my DS's bed stripped finally, he has been gone a week! Put away some Christmas wrapping stuff and carried a few things upstairs but didn't want to drag the boxes out yet. All in time....When I was shaving my legs tonight and I cut my thumb with the razor...ouch..ouch.. :eek: sliced right through the nail too..about a 1/4 of an inch down the nail....torture..bamboo shoots:yikes:..Ha! It hurts.........so Iwill have to keep hands out of water a few days...good thing I cooked earlier this week and got all my chopping and stuff done. Ice galore here...and cold..need a warm cup of tea, already had my cookie so just tea.

Lizzie...nothing like hot soup on a cold day:D ......maybe with a cookie!

Elaina
01-06-2005, 03:11 PM
hello everyone. would love to join in on this thread. i'm 46 years old. live in Massachusetts. my heaviest weight was 266 pounds. that was quite a few years ago. i now weigh about 198. i was following weight watchers but stopped going a couple months ago. i have been going to a gym which has been helping alot. this monday i'm signed up for my first session at the gym for personal training. hope i like it. and i think i'm going to go back and rejoin at weight watchers on sunday. bye for now, elaine

aleka
01-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Welcome Elaina. This is a great group. Another Bay Stater! I was born and brought up in Framingham, MA, moved to NH, lived there 30 yrs., and just recently moved FL. Haven't been back to Framingham in a while though. Looking forward to your posts.

Everyone.... I've been in touch with Bernice. We're having lunch next Wed. I'm really looking forward to meeting her.

Alice

Siwaoasis
01-06-2005, 07:53 PM
With lots of perserverance I was able to lose 2# after Christmas. Curves, treadmill and barely any food, or so it seemed, was ALL it took. LOL Just put away the last of the decorations today. It's such a chore. I said to DH--I'm looking forward to the day when all we have is our little 3' artificial tree to put away. His response was--You always say that at this time of year.

Kate and Candice--sounds like the ice storms are all over the north this winter. We've had a couple so far and I really hate them. I just stay inside and put off all outings until road conditions improve but those who work cannot do that.

CANDICE--Sorry to hear all the news about your mother. Have an extra cookie with your tea tomorrow.

ANN--glad to hear you're still improving daily. It's always so surprising to me how walking can help our bodies in so many ways.

ELAINE--Welcome to the group. I'm heading your way--that is--nearing the under 200 club! I was there a couple years ago but..................

ALICE--Say hello to Bernice from me.

Who's planning our get together???? and when?

Katey
01-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Hi all,
Welcome Elaina! Where do you live in MA? I lived there for 5 yrs...on the Cape, went to school in Boston, and then lived in a small town just outside of Amherst, N. Leverett.

Siwa: Good going on your 2#! Gearing up for a busy weekend of packing away my Santa collection and just generally getting the house in order again. It's a chore I don't like.

Candice: It ended up that we didn't get hit too bad with the storm. Driving yesterday morning was terrible and it did turn to freezing rain for a while, but by afternoon it was warm again. Crazy weather!

Ann: We're getting the pec machine. It should be set up by Monday.

Bernice and Alice: That's so nice that you're getting together for lunch. Have fun!

Hi Barb! I want to know how to put that # graph on the bottom of the messages. That's neat.

I'm feeling good and back on track. I think I lost a couple #s this week. I weigh in tomorrow.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Kate

Elaina
01-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Hello Everyone,
I had my first appointment with the personel trainer. we just talked about what the plan was going to be for me. we set up another apointment for monday, he's going to spend 2 hours with me showing me new excersises, i think alot are with that stability ball. On Sunday i think i'm rejoining Weight Watchers again. i really need some more motivation. i just been maintaining for the past 3 months or so.
Alice: I love the shopping areas and the resteraunts in Framingham and Natick, i go there all the time. Is that a Boston terrier i see in your picture? i love those dogs! I used to have one, he died of old age a while ago, but would you believe i still hear him barking cause my parrot copies his bark exactly
Siwa: i hope i can stay in the under 200 club
Katey: I live in Worcester, Ma. But i vacation alot at the cape, mostly in the South Yarmouth area. i love the ocean. i spent a summer in Amherst at hampshire college. That's a nice area too

ageoldie
01-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Hi Gang,

We are still trying to get our new computer system up and running, it's really been a challange since none of us really know accounting and were just doing things the way we THOUGHT it should be done. Now that my sister Valeria is working for us, (her degree is in accounting) we are having to do things the RIGHT way. So we are all learning.

We are trying the Dr Perricone Prescription for healthly living this time around. We have done really well all week. It's basically a well balanced low fat, low carb plan emphasising a lot of fish, mainly salmon. Salmon, fruits veggies and oatmeal. those are the main things, and you can add what else in when you want to.

Our weather has been pretty good here, but it's cold the last few days.
Hope everyone has a great weekend.

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/misc/Welcomecats.jpgElaina, This is for you.

Katey, are you talking about the weight tracker that so many people have after their posts? All you have to do is click on one of them and it will take you to a site that gives you all the instructions.

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/siggys/lesson1.jpg

aleka
01-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Hi,

Elaina, I've been to Worcester a few times. My husband was born and brought up not very far from there. Yes, that is a Boston Terrier in my picture. She just turned 4 and she's spoiled rotten. :D That's a riot about your parrot imitating your Boston's bark. How old was your Boston when he died? We had another one before this one and she was 12 when she died. That's great you're so committed.

Kate, do you mean the weight tracker at the bottom of posts? 3fc has them. Click onto your "User CP" or into Private messages and to the left you will see "Edit Signature" Click on that and it the instructions on how to customize your ticker will be there. Glad you didn't get much of a storm. My girlfriend in NH said that they only got about 6"

Barb, the Perricone Prescription sounds good. I read somewhere that he was on Oprah one afternoon. He said that if you switch to regular green tea in the morning instead of coffee, you could lose 10 lbs. in 6 weeks without changing anything in your diet. I wonder if it really works? :?:

Candace, how is your nail doing? Oh, that sounds awfully painful. How is your mother doing?

Ann, we've had a beautiful 2 days here. We've had every window in the house open along with the sliders to the lanai. It's amazing how warm it gets during the day, but once the sun goes down it cools right off. Has it been as warm up your way?

Siwa, we have a 4' artificial tree, but we still have to take the decorations off and even that's a chore. The way to go is a nice ceramic tree, just plug it in and you're good to go. :D

Hope you all have a great weekend.
Alice

ageoldie
01-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Hi Gang!
Well, we finally got the computer system up and running, now if we can just get all last weeks work put on it, we'll be back in business!!!

Alice, I hope that works. We've been drinking green tea for breakfast every day this week, and believe it or not, it has not been a bad change. I've still had to have my coffee at work, but I've limited myself to 1 cup. So far , everything in the plan is very doable, but like everything else, you have to do it!

Hope everyone else is doing good.

Why is it so much easier to post here when I'm doing good and staying OP? I guess when I'm not I don't want to own up to it?
http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/siggys/barbsnowmanblinkie.gif

aleka
01-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Barb, how many cups of green tea are you supposed to drink? I don't believe he said how many on Oprah. This morning was my first morning of drinking tea instead of coffee. It wasn't bad. I have to put sweetener in it to make it taste good though. His diet sounded good, but you have to eat a lot of fish, especially salmon. I dislike fish. :p But, I will eat shellfish like shrimp or scallops, but that's about it.

Hope everyone is doing fine.

Alice

Elaina
01-10-2005, 03:19 PM
hello everyone,
today i had my first excersice session with the personal trainer. what a workout! my body was so sore walking out of there. i took a hot bath for my muscles when i got home. my trainer is the nicest guy, i feel so lucky to have him. but he say's i'll probably start hating him cause he's gonna push me. and he's not even gonna charge me for the personal time, he said i'd be his experiment. that is more than nice i think.
Alice: we never knew exactly how old buddy was cause we adopted him from the
boston terrier rescue and they picked him up as a stray and no one claimed
him. i cant believe someone didnt want that dog. he was wonderful. the
people at the shelter named him Vincent cause one of his ear flaps was partly
missing. he must of been in some fights. he had other scars too. the Vet
guessed he was about 2 when we got him and i think we had him about 10
years, so he was about 12 also. he wasnt a little boston, he was the biggest
one i ever saw. maybe someday i'll get another one. the birds are enough for
me right now. what is your named
Barb: thank you for the adorable welcome picture. i've had a computer for quite
some time but dont know how to do that kind of stuff. i havent even figured
out how to put one of those cute pictures next to my name, oh well
bye for now everyone, Elaine

ageoldie
01-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Elaina Yes you will learn to hate the "Evil Trainer" when you wake up so sore you can't even get out of bed, but grin it and get over it, and keep on going, and before you know it you will be loving it.

Alice, I don't know really how many cups of green tea you are supposed to drink, but I just drink one in the morning, and one at night. And I LOVE salmon. It's a good thing, cause you eat a lot of it!

Hi everyone else.

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/siggys/barbgsmilie.gif

Candicej
01-12-2005, 03:14 AM
Welcome Elaine...an animal lover and age and weight challenged..you will fit in god here! :D I have a stability ball...love it when I use it!

Barb..just love your graphics..kitties so cute!

I'm going through a hunger phase!!!!!!!!! Cleaned yesterday so I am tired today....I put some Christmas away but still have tons of snowmen out and outside stuff..too wet and messy to be out thee right now. What a weird winter this is...everywhere is having some kind of weird weather it seems. Still having pelvic pain so hard to sit here.............they do not seem to want to help me any. It helps to lay on my back and put my feet up but you can't use my computer in that position! :lol:

aleka
01-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Hi everyone,

Elaina, did the hot bath help your sore muscles? Hope the soreness will work itself out soon. My Boston's name is Lacee (pronounced Lacy). DH wanted it spelled like that :?: As a matter of fact we got her in Martha's Vineyard. We found her on the internet, and the ad said they were on the Cape. So, we got in touch with them, only to find out it wasn't on the main land. We had never been to MV, so we treated it as an adventure. They were ready to let us have her the day we saw her. But, we didn't feel she was ready to leave her mother yet. So we picked her up a few weeks later.

Barb, I usually drink about 2 cups of green tea a day, sometimes 3. If I have a craving for something sweet, I'll make a cup of tea, put Splenda in it and it's sweet enough to curb my craving. I'm really beginning to enjoy tea.

Kate, have you been doing any reading? I am in the middle of this great book, Metro Girl by Janet Evanovich. It is so funny! I just finished 3rd Degree by James Patterson, which was very good too.

Hi Candice..Siwa

I had my lunch with Bernice. She is such a lovely person and we had a great time. We're planning on getting together again sometime.

Alice

Lizziepie
01-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Hi Everyone: I've been sort of MIA since I have been spending a lot of time trying to get all the music ready for our chorus rehearsal. I have to arrange a lot of the stuff, since our group can't always sing the high pitched stuff, or anything too low. Ladies especially. So I spend a lot of time re-writing. Now, I think I am finally finished.
And we will have another practice on Monday, even tho' it is Martin Luther King day.

Alice: I am so glad you and Bernice had a nice lunch. We enjoyed our meeting with her when they were down here looking for their ideal FL. place.

Hi to you Bernice.

And to Elaina, Candice, Kate, Barb and Siwa.

I couldn't go on any diet plan where I had to eat a lot of Salmon. I like it now and then but to have to eat it several times a week would finish me really quick. Good luck to you all who are trying this new plan. I guess I still think that WW is the best over all plan for losing and keeping it off.

That is now my struggle again. I lost 15lbs while in the hospital and recuperating, and now that my appetite and taste has come back, it is back to the old struggle. I don't want to gain back what I suffered so to lose.

Hope to check in tomorrow. Ann

muffinsmom
01-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Hi all, Well Alice and I finally met and had a lovely lunch. I forgot to tell her what I looked like so she had no idea who I was but because Her picture is on this thread I recognized her and she is much younger looking than her picture. We had a a nice afternoon getting acquainted and I'm sure we will see each other again.
Went to local theater tonite but we left during intermission as the seats we had were director's chairs and very uncomfortable. The restuarant we went to refused to accept the coupon we had for it. We had bought a bunch of coupons to different places where they take the price of the cheaper meal off the bill. They explained they were losing money giving away free meals so it makes me wonder why they signed up for the program in the first place. Because this program is still being offered in the newspaper and this is the second time it was refused by a restarant my dh feels the program is fraud and will follow up with the chamber of commerce and the Fla State attorney general. We've always had the Entertainment book up North and never had a problem. Ann, I'm glad you are feeling better and wanting to eat is a mixed blessing. Hope you continue to feel well and keep the 15 lbs off as it was one heck of a way to lose it, Bernice

Katey
01-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Good morning everyone!

Candice: We're having weird weather too. Today is supposed to go to 60 and then the temps start dropping again so that by Monday it will be in the teens :p Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. I have to go in next week for an ultrasound. They think my gallbladder may be acting up. Have you had any tests?

Alice: Haven't been reading at all except my magazines. I haven't had time to go to the library, but now things are slowing down so it's time to get back there. Also, I want to get some yarn and make an eyelash scarf. All these projects around the house that I want to do also...whew, I think I need to quit working and stay home! Most times I'm too tired at night to accomplish anything.

Bernice: How nice that you and Alice had lunch. It would be so much fun if we could all get together. That's too bad you had trouble using your coupons. We usually get the Entertainment books and have never had a problem with restaurants honoring them. Your DH is right to report it.

Ann: What is the group singing? I used to sing in our church choir, but haven't in a few years and my voice has dropped considerably. Can't quite reach the high notes. Yours wasn't a good way to lose weight, but I understand why you want to keep it off. Once you can get back to Curves maybe it will be easier. We got TWO new machines...the pec one and a step machine. I went 4 times last week :)

Barb: I love green tea! Maybe I better start drinking it by the gallon:D

Elaina: Are your muscles feeling better? Did you happen to watch the Biggest Loser? Those trainers were really hard on the people, but they really got results.

Hi Siwa: Hope you're having a good week!

I lost 3# last week....I'm feeling good!

Take care.
Kate

Elaina
01-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Just a quick hello to everyone...
i'm gonna go take another hot bath pretty soon but thought i'd check in here real quick. my legs are still sore. i do see some improvement though, it doesnt hurt as much walking up the stairs, but still hurts bad walking down them, and also hurts when i sit down, especially when i get into my car, i think cause it's a sporty car, pretty low down to the ground. Kate , i did watch the biggest loser. I loved watching that. cant wait to see who wins from the remaining players next week. they all looked so good after they lost their weight. i found the show very entertaining and inspiring. After going to the gym on monday and getting the training, i still went on tuesday and wednesday, but just did an hour of cardio. i love the eliptical. i skipped the gym today, and am going back tomorrow. dont know if i'll be able to do the stability ball yet. bye for now, elaine
p. s. i may try to start drinking that green tea too. i know it's really good for you. i need to get the decaf kind though. i try to drink as little cafine as possible

Katey
01-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Where is everyone??? Just popping in to wish you a good weekend. It's a 3 day one for me.....yay! Think we're going to look at cars. We have a party to go to tomorrow night. I'm already thinking about how to stay away from the snacks. It's dinner too.

Elaina: Good for you for sticking with your program! I think I might be tempted not to if I was so sore. I enjoyed the Biggest Loser too. It made me feel so good to see what they accomplished. They expressed their doubts and had bad times too which is realistic. I could relate.

Stay motivated everyone! Talk to you next week.

Kate

ageoldie
01-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Elaina, I told you you'd be calling him your "evil trainer" I did that Personal trainer thing about 6 months, DH ole Alvin has been doing it almsot 3 years now. I do go to the health club every weekday, but mostly I just walk and do different water aerobic classes. BUT... our club has set up a new section called the 30 minute workout...it's an attempt to duplicate Curves type thing, and I think I'm going to try it Monday. It has signs up on all the machines to do the circuit and directions for how much and what kinds of cardio to do in between each machine. Sounds interesting,

Berniece and Alice, so neat you could meet. Last April I met with another group that I post with. There were six of us who came and it was like we were all old friends.

Katey, I've tried to "enrich" my reading material from Hareliquin romances to more modern stuff, but I keep going back to the frivilious no brainers. Oh well What can I say? Hope your gallbladder turns out alright. Did I ever mention that my 16 y/o niece had to have her gallbladder out in October? She didn't have stones, but the found out it was not working properly. She was back doing her gymnastics within in the month! (imagine what it would be like to have that type youth)

Green Tea: I'm really begining to get used to it. I'm not sure I'd say I actually like it yet, but when I first started, I didn't like it at all. And I now have officially lost 10 pounds since the 1st.

What is an eyelash scarf?

Well, I need to get back to work, hope everyone has a great weekend! I'm supposed to go to a support meeting for the SjS Dallas chapter tomorrow, and they alway have the most wonderful lunch afterwards, I hope I can be strong and control myself!!!

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/siggys/barbara06.gif

aleka
01-15-2005, 09:25 AM
A Good Sat. morning to everyone,

Barb, congratulations on your weight loss! :cb: I've been enjoying the green tea in the mornings. But, my only concern is all the artificial sweetener I've been using. I can't stand unsweetened tea. :p I did buy some Lipton flavored green tea. One has orange, passionfruit, & Jasmine. The other is mixed berry. I've had the orange flavored one without sweetener, and it was ok, I think it's something I can get used to. I haven't tried the mixed berry yet. That must have been really nice meeting with your group of ladies from another BB.

Kate, hope you had a good time at the party. Good luck car shopping. What type of car are you looking for? I keep saying that now I'm in FL that my next car will be either a bright yellow or cherry red Mustang convertible. DH keeps telling me that the first time a bee or wasp would fly in, that would be the end of it. :D

Elaina, hope your soreness has eased up a bit. That's great you went back to the gym even though your legs were still sore. Good for you! I didn't watch the Biggest Loser, but last week I did see a story on 20/20 about these 2 families in Ohio who wanted to lose weight. Each family had an Olympic athlete, they were twin brothers, come to their home to train them and a dietician went through and cleaned out their junk food. I couldn't believe what the trainers put them through, especially in the beginning when they were so out of shape.

Ok, I too want to know what an eyelash scarf is. :?:

Hi Ann, Bernice, Siwa, Candace

Have a great weekend.
Alice

Elaina
01-15-2005, 12:39 PM
hello everyone
just a quick hello... i'm gonna get ready to go out soon. my boyfriend is coming over, we're going for a long walk and then to the movies, shopping and out for a healthy meal. my soreness has finally gone away! went to the gym today but just did the cardio. i'll start in again with the hard stuff on monday. i dont know what an eyelash scarf is either... i'm thinking it must have something to do with the yarn you use?
Alice, i saw that story on 20/20 also. that was interesting. Last night i watched this other tv show on VH1. it was called something like celebrity fitness. it was fun. i think there's a new one on sunday, i enjoyed it. it's alot like the biggest loser except these are all famous people. they had one of the Baldwin brothers, Steven Tylers daughter, a women judge who has a tv show, and i forgot some of the others.
oh, well, got to get ready. he'll be over soon..... bye for now, Elaine

Siwaoasis
01-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Our Red Hat chapter is sponsoring a Winter Ball tonite. We're expecting about 300 ladies in all their finery. We have Red Hatters coming from IL, WI and IA. It will be held at a hotel near the Mall of America so I suppose some will come early and do some shopping. I was intending to sew my dress and waited til after Christmas, a less busy time, but then I looked on E-bay and found the perfect dress in the right size.--or so I thought--The auction ended on Jan 4 and I thought about how that would be cutting it a little close to the event date esp when there would be mailing involved. I took the chance anyway and placed a bid. I was the high bidder--a whopping $33 for a "mother of the bride" dress--my ball gown! I waited and waited for it to come, becoming more nervous and the days went on. I had scoped out a couple fabric stores for fabric and patterns and found plenty of purple fabric and suitable patterns. As time passed and no dress came in the mail I could imagine myself sewing late into the nite on Friday--the nite before the ball-- but................fortunately for me (and for DH!) the dress arrived on Wed and it fit perfectly! Whew!! I went out and bought a red sparkly necklace and then made a "hat". The hat is more small "showgirl" type headband than hat. I used feathers and gems to create every 4 yr old's dream crown. LOL Sometimes we Red Hatters get a little carried away with our outfits. I doubt I'll be considered outrageous tho--there's always someone more outrageous than the next. We're having a DJ, other entertainment, food (of course) and vendors who sell Red Hat items. Shud be a lot of fun tonite. We have made red hat center pieces and little red hat napkin rings. Since this is our first attempt I have no idea how things will go but I know the person in charge is a good organizer. I think I'll be sleeping in tomorrow after dancing and dining all nite.

Hi Kate, Alice, Bernice, Candice, Barb, Ann and Elaine.

Lizziepie
01-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi all: I have been really busy, and then when I wanted to post, I couldn't log in, so haad to contact Suzanne and find out what happened. Somehow my password was messed up when they made the changes to the forum threads. She said they had some corrupted files that had to be repaired and i was lost in the shuffle. Anyway, now I'm back

Siwa: your Red Hat party sounds like lots of fun. Can't you take a picture to post on our thread of you in all your redhat finery?

Katey: Our show is called 'It's for the Birds' and many of the songs will have birds in the title. The premise is that we are going on a Bird Watching trip and as we prepare we sing about the birds we might see. Also, since we might travel to other areas, I have been able to incorporate some other fun songs that don't say much about birds. Been reading some J.A. Jance books lately. Also Martha Grimes and Anne Perry. All good mystery writers, and they don't demand a lot of brain power to read.

Elainea: Hope the sore muscles are now in good working order. What movie did you see? We went to see the Aviator last week. A very good movie. Howard Hughes was a genius, even if he was a lot on the 'strange' side.

Candice: Hope you are now feeling better. Found any new and really good cookie recipes? Have you been snowed in ?

Hi Alice, Bernice- How are you likeing the cool weather?

Barb: Is Dallas no longer so wet? Congrats on your loss. Keep up the good work. Ann

Candicej
01-20-2005, 12:37 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having a problem with indigestion type symtoms and medication isn't working. I may have eaten something bad too...........I'm due for an endoscpoy this year anyway. (but do not want the colon part again)!

Mom had another stroke....can't get through to anyone to find out details.

ageoldie
01-20-2005, 10:09 PM
cj, Keeping your mom in my prayers. We've had a really emotional week, and today was really bad. After lots of worry, planning and replanning, we have had to let half our employee go. This have just been so slow, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better and we were getting where it was taking everything we brought in just to make payroll. So we laid off 4 people, and that leaves a total of 6 counting me, Alvin & son Mark. And these were all people we were really close to, so it was doubly hard.

But, I have not turned to food as I usually do. (Of course yesterday after we made the decision I wanted Mexican Food and a big big margeritta really bod. But luckily it was Church night and after church, the urge was gone)

Hope everyone else's week has gone better.

Barb

aleka
01-21-2005, 08:07 AM
Candace, I am so sorry about your Mom. I'll keep her in my prayers.

Ann, I am not liking this cold very much. It's not too bad when the sun is out because the sun is warm. I was heading to the store early one morning and the weather report was on. The guy was warning everyone about wind chills. I started laughing because they don't know what wind chills really feel like down here!:lol:

Barb, The last year or two we were going through the same thing with our business as you are with your's. Luckily we didn't have any employees to let go. We thought we have our business until we retired, then if DH felt like it he could do it part time. I can sympathize what you'e going through. I hope that things will turn around for you. :crossed: :lucky:

Hi Bernice, Kate, Siwa, Elaina

Alice

Katey
01-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Hi all,
Barb: I'm sorry to hear that you had to let some people go. That is hard when it's a small business...everyone seems more like family then. You did a good thing by not comforting yourself with food though. An eyelash scarf is made with a certain type of yarn. I guess the best way to describe it is kind of feathery. They're quite popular around here....it must be a northeast thing. You've done so well with your weight loss. Keep up the good work!

Candice: I'm so sorry about your mother. I know it must be difficult not being there with her. I hope you're feeling better. I had the ultrasound today and they didn't find kidney or gallbladder stones so that's a good thing.

Alice: I'm reading Distant Shores right now. A friend lent it to me. It's written by Kristin Hannah. I don't think I've ever read anything by her before. The story is good, but it's a little slow. It's very cold here...wind chill in the minuses. They're predicting a big storm over the weekend. Have you sold your place in NH?

Siwa: Tell us all about the Red Hat ball! You were so lucky getting the dress in time.

Ann: I've been trying to think of bird songs and all I can come up with is Bye, Bye Blackbird! When is the show? Have you gotten back to Curves yet? I bought Leslie Sansone's Fat Burner DVD and have been doing it on days that I don't get to Curves.

Elaina: How are your workouts going? I've been really into the exercise and have still only lost 3#. I keep telling myself that I'm building muscle and that it weighs more :D Are you losing weight?

Hi Bernice: Hope that you had a good week!

Have a good weekend everyone! Just hate not being able to post more:( I really need to do something about my home computer.

Kate

Elaina
01-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Hello Everyone,
i been real busy lately trying to get things done before i go away.... i didnt tell you, i'm going to New Orleans with some friends! We leave early on Monday morning. i'm excited and nervous at the same time. i really hope i dont gain weight while i'm away. i been trying so hard, dont want to ruin the good work. my friends i'm going with keep telling me about all the delicious food they have there. lol.
Lizzie: i went to see the movie Sideways. i like it, it had some very funny parts in it. i also want to see the Aviator . i would see it tomorrow but it's almost 3 hours. maybe when i get back
Kate: i've just been doing an hours worth of cardio everyday on the elipticle. havent been doing the stability ball. maybe when i get back i'll buy one for at home and try to get more into it. my weight loss has been very slow too. i dont like the scale at the gym. i dont believe it. one day it said 192 and today it said 195. i dont feel like i've officially weighed in till i go to weight watchers which i'd like to do when i get back.

muffinsmom
01-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Hi Everyone. Haven't been online for a while because we are in company mode in fact friends left yesterday and another group flies in tonite. Also haven't felt well kind of the 24 hr virus with abdominal cramps and headache with back pain. Starting to feel better, weather here is gloomy but warm and after watching the weather channel I am grateful to be here.
Alice as soon as the friends leave in about 8 days I will contact you again and perhaps we can meet again. Will check in again soon. Have a great week end. Bernice

Lizziepie
01-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi all: Just a busy time. I'm cleaning closets, and drawers, etc. getting rid of stuff. we are having a Flea Market sale here in the park in Feb. and I am hoping that some of my trash will be someone elses treasure.

The weather forcast is for possible freeze again tomorrow night. They are saying possible the coldest night of the season. We'll have to break out the long woolies.

Kate: We have found lots of Birdie songs and some clever ones that I had never heard before. Such as 'Shady Lady Bird' and Baltimore Oriole. The Oriole one is written by Hoagy carmichael, and was in the movie 'To Have and Have Not" I don't remember ever hearing it, but it is a good one.

Bernice: Our company is not coming until March. At least that is all we know about now.

Candice: Hope that things are going better with your Mom.

Barb: Sorry that you had to let some people go from your business, but do also hope that things will begin to pick up soon. Being in business for yourselves, has to be a bit stressful. Glad you haven't got into the stress eating.

Siwa- How did the red had party go?

Elaina: Did you have a great time in New Orleans? It is a swingin' city I think, and they have some great food.

Alice: HOpe this cold doesn't come all the way down your way.:D: We arae here to escape freezes.

Have a good weekend everyone. Ann

Katey
01-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Good morning!
Lots of snow here, but it is warming up....in the 20s :)
Ann: Wish I could ship some stuff to you for your flea market. I have so much stuff to clean out. Most times it seems like an overwhelming job, but little by little I'm trying.
Bernice: That 24 hr. stomach thing has been going around up here too. Luckily it's stayed away from me. Have fun with your company!
Elaina: You must be in New Orleans now. Hope you're having fun. I've never been there. You'll have to tell us all about it.
Alice: I finished Distant Shores. It was pretty good, but didn't end the way I thought it would. I notice that she's written a book about a mother and daughter finding each other. That relationship situation always interests me since I was adopted. Aren't you glad you're not in NH? New England got hit pretty hard with this storm.
Siwa: Still waiting to hear about the ball!
Barb: Hope that you're doing well.
Candice: How is your mother doing?

I've lost 2 more #s!

Take care all,
Kate

aleka
01-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Good morning,

Ann, did you get a freeze? It's been down into the 30's at night and it's been in the 50's during the day. We did have a freeze warning for Sun. night. I came to FL to get away from all that! :D How are rehearsels going?

Elaina, hope you left for New Orleans before the big snow storm and hope you're having a wonderful time. A friend of mine went to New Orleans last year and she said the food was fabulous.

Siwa, how was your Red Hat Soc. ball? Did you have a good time?

Bernice, looking forward to hearing from you.

Barb, how are things going with your business? I hope work has picked up for you.

Candice, how is your mother doing?

Kate, congratulations on your weight loss.:bravo: :cheer: You're really doing great. What eating plan are you doing? Last night I finished reading The Kills by Linda Fairstein. It really was good. I'll look for Distant Shores. I can see where a mother daughter relationship would be of interest to you. Did you get a lot of snow with that storm? I do have a cousin who lives in Ptown and haven't heard from him yet. I've called another cousin who lives in Southeastern MA, a friend who lives near the northshore, and I've been in touch with another cousin who lives in NH, not far from where lived. Thankfully they all are doing ok.

My ILs are coming for a visit sometime this morning.

Have a good day everyone.
Alice

Lizziepie
01-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Hi: Alice: We covered all our tender plants Sun. and Mon. nights. Now I don't think we will have to do it again for a while. We usually do get some cold weather in late December and january. They say that the cooler temps make the citrus sweeter. Don't know if that is fact or fiction.

Kate: I have been inspired to clean out closets, etc. by watching Clean Sweep on TLC. When I see what horrible clutter some people are being rescured from, I know I don't want to get that bad. Our home is not large, and we don't have a lot of storage space,and I find myself just adding and adding stuff. Now I am sorting and sure do hope that my trash will be someone elses treasure.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Siwa: How was the party:
Candice: Hope there is improvement with your Mom.
Bernice: Don't let y our company tire you out.
Elaina: How was New Orleans?

Have a good week. Ann

Siwaoasis
01-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Hi ladies--

The Red Hat Ball was a smashing success! and it was so much fun to boot. They're already setting a date for 2006. There were 270 in attendance from 4 states on a VERY cold January day. We had 2 ballrooms reserved--one for dinner and dancing and another for vendors of Red Hat merchandise. All vendors reported good sales so they like us and will return another year. Instead of them paying to rent space we asked for merchandise donations fo $100 from each vendor that we gave as prizes throughout the nite and that was a real hit. The items were quite nice. The food was served buffet style and was very good---buffet warmed food is not always the best but this was truly good. We had salad, bread, veg medly (not over cooked) wild/white rice, mashed pot w/skins, fish, chicken and pork (all prepared creatively) and a fantastic, huge dessert tray. I chose lemon merengue pie--tasty. The DJ was good and played music we all enjoyed. There was plenty of dancing. The hotel surprised us with an interesting ice sculpture set up in the bar area. It was a 3'+ sculpture of a curved nature into which was poured either a red or purple martini and chilled its way to an opening under which a martini glass was held. This was used by those who ordered one of the 2 specialy concocted martinis. I didn't have one but I watched the process. The array of gowns and hats was astounding. While talking to some ladies I found myself looking at their hats and dresses and not looking at their faces. I appologized but we agreed that we were all doing the same. Amazingly enough one of my fellow group members had the exact dress that I did. Hers came from northern MN and mine came via ebay from NC. We couldn't believe it! We have a tap dancing sub group and they performed a number. They were so well liked that an encore was asked for. Since they only prepared on number they danced the same number again.-----It was a total success.

Kate--We only got 8" of snow in that great storm that swept the northern parts of the nation. Sounds like your area had more. Until then we'd only had a dusting--unusually low for us. Now it looks like winter. Did you lose the 2# in one week? I've been trying and trying to have a 2# week but all I can do is 1-1+. I tried uping my exercise by walking 1/2 hr in addition to Curves every day but still no luck. At this rate of 4#/month it will take the rest of my life to get to my goal and at 80+years who cares how much I weigh!

Katey
01-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Good morning!
It was an icy ride to work this morning. I was so glad when I got here. We're getting some freezing rain. They couldn't call off school because the kids are taking state exams.

Alice: I see that you've lost 5# too :) Good going....we're on our way! I expect to mean and lean this summer :D I've really just been watching what I eat and exercising a LOT, 6 days a week. I give myself Fridays off. I keep thinking that I won't be able to give that up and wonder if I can commit to that for the rest of my life. What's the secret to updating the weight grid? I tried, but it didn't take. I want to be sure everyone knows that I've lost 5# :lol: At some point I'll probably start counting WW points again and then maybe switch to phase 2 of South Beach. Boy, MA sure got hit bad. Glad that your cousins and friend are doing okay. The one in Ptown may not get shoveled out til spring. I went to school in E. Brewster....just love the Cape, but it's changed a lot in the 40 years since I was there.

Siwa: The Ball sounds like it was fantastic. You do such fun things. What's next on your agenda? Are you traveling this winter? I did lose 2# in a week. I hadn't lost the week before though. The slooooow rate can get frustrating since I could put on 2# in a day without trying too hard :D What's the deal with that. I'm with you, who will care at 80. But have you ever noticed that some people who were quite heavy all there life suddenly lose weight when they get along in years?

Ann: When is your flea market? Do you have to take back all the stuff that doesn't go? I'll have to check out that Clean Sweep show. Anyway, hearing what your doing is giving me incentive to get started again. I cleaned out my coupon box:lol: I'll take your cooler temps over ours. We're supposed to go back to the teens again over the next day or two. Can't wait to see what our heating bill is going to be for this month.

Hi Bernice, Barb, Elaina, and Candice:wave:

Take care,
Kate

aleka
01-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Good morning everyone,

It's finally getting warm again! Yesterday started out very chilly but warmed up very nicely, as there was no breeze.

Kate, to move the weight grid, you have to start the process all over again, with your new current weight, at least that's what I did. Then you copy and paste the new grid where your old grid is. But, make sure you get rid of the old one first before you put the new one in. Otherwise you'll end up with 2 grids. I am basically doing the same thing you are for losing weight. I'm not following any particular diet. I'm making better choices, eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm satisfied. Along with that I'm exercising with WATP tapes 5-6 days a week. I think the reason that people lose weight as they age is their appetites have gotten smaller. I can tell my appetite has changed since I was in my 20's & 30's. I can't eat as much as I used to. I did get an e mail from my cousin in Ptown. He said they had 3 ft. of snow, 6'-8' snowdrifts, and they were still in a state of emergency. He also said they were expecting 8 more inches.

Siwa, I'm glad you had such a good time at the Red Hat Soc. ball. It sounds like a lot of fun. A friend of mine belongs to a chapter in NH and she has such a good time. I agree, who cares what you weigh when you're in your 80's. I'm almost at that point now in my 50's.;)

Hi Bernice, Ann, Barb, Candice :wave: Hope you're all doing well.

Alice

Katey
01-27-2005, 02:47 PM
Hi Alice:
Thanks for helping me with the weight grid. I did it! Your poor cousin....that's a lot of snow! What are WATP tapes? I've been switching between Leslie Sansone's walk aerobics tape which is very old and her fat burner DVD. I can get through the walk aerobics one with no problem, but the other is more challenging and I haven't added the weights yet. Hope that you're having a good week!

Hi everybody:wave:

Kate

ageoldie
01-27-2005, 03:26 PM
http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/Checking%20in/catcheckin.gif

Barb

aleka
01-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Hi everyone...

Kate, you're doing great with exercise. Going to Curves and doing Leslie's tapes. :encore: I have one of her first walk aerobics tapes she made. WATP is Walk Away the Pounds. They are a set of Leslie Sansone tapes. There is a 1 mile, 2 mile, & 3 mile tape. One set comes with 2 lb. weighted balls, and another comes with a toning belt. I have the set with the weighted balls. I also have a 4 mile walking tape of her's, which I've never opened. I am working my way up to that tape.;)

Barb, love your checking in picture! You post the greatest things. I wish I could do something like that. But, even after all these years I'm still computer illiterate.

Hope you all have a good day.
Alice

ageoldie
01-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Yesterday was our 39th wedding anniversary, We went to Saltgrass Steak house and I didn't eat OP at all. I even got a Brownie Sunday "to-go"

Barbg

aleka
01-30-2005, 07:46 AM
Barb, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!:cheers: Not eating OP is the way I like to celebrate special occasions. Good for you!

Alice

Siwaoasis
01-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Saying "Hi " to all of you from Santa Fe, NM. We're here just for a few days. It was lovely yesterday--sunny and 45 --but snowing today. We just got the idea of Santa Fe in our heads and had to travel in the winter. We were just looking for a place to get away. We knew snow/rain was predicted befor leaving home but came anyway.

KATE--Yes, I've noticed how older people don't eat very much--my parents included. Cant say that my mom has lost much wt lately tho even tho she eats quite a small amount. I'm looking forward to the day when I can eat ice cream for b'fast and pizza for lunch and dinner but............by the time I get to "that age" I prob will either forget about my longings or won't want either ice cream or pizza. Such is life!

BARB--You're doing so well with losing now. What's keeping you going? Congrats on 39 years!!

Katey
01-31-2005, 10:25 AM
Good morning!
It was a beautiful drive to work today. The trees all had a frost on their branches and were white and sparkly. It looked like a fairyland with the sun shining on them. Yes, the sun is out for a change :cool: - what a delight!

Barb: Congratulations on your 39th anniversary! You have to be able to indulge once in a while and what better reason than that. I just noticed you set a goal for Detroit. When are you going there? I hope it's when it gets warmer :)

Siwa: I've always wanted to go to Santa Fe. We almost made it there when we were out in Colorado once. I love sterling silver jewelry and bet you see a lot of it down there. What places are you visiting there? Is your son living at home? Who's watching the house and cats? Have a great trip!

Candice: I'm wondering if you've gone to see your mother. You haven't posted in quite a while. I hope things are okay with you.

Alice: Made a trip to the library over the weekend and picked up 3 books so that should hold me for a few days :D Have you read any of Nora Roberts futuristic books? No weight loss this week:( Boy, is this a slow process even with all the exercise. I had hoped to be down another 2# by 2/1.

Today is our oldest son's 30th birthday. I can't believe it. I don't feel like I should have a 30 yr. old....at least not on most days!

Hi Elaina, wonder if you're back from New Orleans yet. Hi Bernice and Ann!
Take care all.

Kate

Siwaoasis
01-31-2005, 11:24 AM
KATE--There's so muc to do and see here that we'll barely touch the surface. We went to the Georgia O"Keefe museum and another local one our first day here since it was just a partial day. Then we drove north into G O"Keefe land and saw the scenery that she painted---and spectacular it was! Continued north a bit and thru a mt pass. Luckily the roads were totally clear but there was lots of snow on the trees and land--quite beautiful. Passes thru Taos which I found disappointingly ugly. Stopped for dinner ina NY Times acclaimed Mexican restaurant where we dined on very good food. It snowed overnite as we expected so drove south to Albuquerque and environs. I just love the architecture--everything looks adobe. It makes finding a bldg a little difficult cuz they all look alike to me---but I like the look. We toured a new house in a new development and it was gorgeous. So totally unlike anything in the MN area. Then we went to an estate sale and saw an old adobe style house. It was quite similar to the new one in design. I'm totally enchanted with NM and esp the architecture. DH is VERY into atomic history and this is the area for visiting related places so we went to an Atomic museum. I saw that museum at a much quicker pace than DH and then went to the car and read for a while. Today we're scheduled to go to Los Alamos and more atomic history. Always have reading materiel w/me for times like this. Haven't gone into any silver shops yet but there are MANY.

DS moved away (again) just after Christmas. He quit his job w/a promising future to move in w/a friend (of questionable characture) in a small town north of Minneapolis. He's now a cook at a Perkins restaurant. It's a chain around our parts--don't know if it's outside the MW. He still doesn't know what he want to do w/his life and I expressed my concern that this new job would not further his entry into adult life and future employment. His friend has NO ambition but to work hosting at this same restaurant. DS admits he's more ambitious than friend but this is what he wants to do for now.

A friend is sitting with the house and cats. She's very reliable.

Sorry to hear that there was no wt loss for you this week. I know the feeling only too well. I doubt I'm on a losing streak while in NM and am prob gaining since I'm eating more than at home. I plan to go the salad route as soon as I get home. I don't want my hard work to have been for nothing. I hate the fact that this is a lifelong struggle.

aleka
01-31-2005, 11:45 AM
Hi everyone,

Siwa, we have Perkins Rest. down here in FL. As matter of fact it's a pretty big chain here also. I've seen quite a few in the southeastern states too as we were traveling up and down the highway. Your son will find his way I'm sure. NM sounds really nice. I have a friend who lives a little south of Alburquerque. But, I'm sorry to say I've never visited her in NM. Continued enjoyment of your trip.

Kate, yes, I have read Nora Roberts futuristic series that she writes as JD Robb. When I read the first book it took me a while to get used to it. But, by the time I finished it I really liked it and I've read all but the newest one. Is this the first book you've gotten in that series? I didn't lose any weight last week either, so you can count me in too. Hopefully I'll show a loss this week.

Hi Anne, Bernice, Barb, Candice, Elaina

Alice

Lizziepie
01-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi Everyone: Can't believe how the time flies by. We have been doing the round of Dr. appointments again, but things are looking up. Dh is being cut down on his iron treatments, and I can start Curves this week.

Barb: Congrats on your anniversary. And we do have to celebrate on special occaisions. But then it is back 'on the wagon' again.

And I hate to tell all you younguns' that the struggle doesn't go away as you get older. You know I'm the old granny of the bunch, and I still struggle. I'm trying to remember just how I felt after my surgery, when I just couldn't eat as much, so I will stop before I over do it. I have gained 2 lbs since feeling better, and I don't want to gain back all I lost.

Chorus is coming along well. Having a good time.

Siwa: your Santa Fe trip sounds like fun. I've been sitting here trying to think of the authors name who writes so many books about that area, and of course am drawing a blank. He writes about the Indian culture, and there is a police officer Sgt. Joe Leaphorn, Tribal police, who appears in all the stories. Mysteries, of course. Then there is another series, different author, about a woman sheriff, and her territory is part of New Mexico. I'll think of them eventually, and post the names. Just in cvanse anyone might be interested. I really like them. Of course I am a fan of mysteries/who-done-its.

Kate: I haven't read the J.D. Robb books. Right now I am reading one by Fern Michaels. It is quite good.

Hope everything is going well for you all, and that the struggle is worth it, reflected in lost lbs. I'll be checking back. Ann

Siwaoasis
02-02-2005, 12:58 AM
And.............all too soon the NM journey has come to an end. We will certainly return when we have more time. I'm taking an Italian class again and I didn't feel that I could miss class #2 and keep up so that's why we had such a short trip. Had a salad for dinner as planned. I'm not even going to weigh myself for a few days cuz I don't want confirmation of the bad news. Just want to get back in the diet mode and get on w/losing again.

The temp here is quite the same as Santa Fe but there's more snow here and it's the same old scenery so not as interesting.

ANN--Glad to hear that your health continues to improve.

For all of you who have friends/relatives in NM or just have NM on your list of places to visit----YES! Go and Enjoy!

Lizziepie
02-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi: I remembered one author - J.A. Jance and the woman sheriff is Joanna Brady. I will remember the other one eventually. I just don't happen to have any of his books here right now. A rainy night, but we can use the rain. With all our sandy soil water just runs away quickly. Am watching the State of the Union Address. I do like our President. Better stop for now. 'See' you later. Ann

Candicej
02-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Candice: I'm wondering if you've gone to see your mother. You haven't posted in quite a while. I hope things are okay with you.
Kate

I'm sorry :sorry: ....... I thought I posted before I left.....I got a call that mom had passed away on Jan. 21 and have been there and back. We are glad she did not have to suffer anymore and had a quiet private service for her, she requested that years ago since she did not like going to funerals. I am doing ok, just worn out and sad:( I will post more later..just wanted to check in.

aleka
02-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Candace, My deepest sympathy to you and your family. It's hard when you lose a parent. Glad that you're doing ok. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Take care,
Alice

Katey
02-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Candice: I'm so very sorry about your mother. No matter how old you are it's very hard to lose a parent. You take care of yourself. We're all here for you so if you need to "talk" just let us know. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Ann: Haven't read anything by Jance. I'm just finishing up a book about Alaska. It's fiction, but sort of historical. Took me a while to get into the author's style of writing, but now I'm hooked and can't wait to find out how it ends. Glad that you're able to get back to Curves.

Siwa: Your Santa Fe trip sounded wonderful. It's definitely on my list of places to go. We have Perkins restaurants around here too. Children get to an age where they have to find out for themselves what's important and sometimes it's the hard way. Hang in there.

Alice: Another week of no weight loss. This is horrible :p Can't figure it out. I've doubled my weekly exercise time and I've cut back on my eating. I'm going to hang in there, but it can be discouraging. Hope you had a good week.

Hi Barb and Bernice....where are you?

Another round of tests for me. I went to the eye doctor yesterday and he thinks that I may have the start of glaucoma. I have to go in for the definitive tests in a couple weeks. Can't make an appt. yet because their computers will be down for a few days. Computers are nice, but sometimes it seems like we rely on them too much! I know this is something that can be treated, but gosh it's been one thing after another. Just keeps reminding me that my body is getting old:(

Take care all.

Kate

aleka
02-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Kate, so sorry to hear that you may have the start of glaucoma. It really sucks getting older. It seems like everything goes at once. :( Good luck to you with your tests. I know this does sound crazy, but the reason you're not losing weight could possibly be because you're not eating enough, especially if you've doubled your weekly exercise time and cut back on your food. When I was going to WW, our leader pointed out that we had to eat our activity points. Otherwise, our bodies will hold onto the weight in self defense. Well, I never ate my activity points and I often wondered if that was why I was having such a hard time losing weight at the time. Try eating a bit more and see if it helps.

Hi everyone!

Alice

Siwaoasis
02-04-2005, 07:33 PM
CANDICE--So sorry to hear about yur mother. I sounds like you're doing really well though. It's a hard thing to accept even when expected. Take all the rest you need.

We reached 50+ degrees today--set a new record. I was hoping for an easy winter this year since we were staying put and my wish has been granted. The grass is showing again after our 8" snowfall a couple weeks ago. And it's supposed to be warm again tomorrow.

I also doubled my exercise and expected great results but didn't see them. I continue to lose but at a slow rate. Alice is right about not eating enuf. I've heard women say they began losing again after adding 100-200 more calories per day. Seems a bit strange but that's the way it works.

Lizziepie
02-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Candice: I'm so sorry about the loss of your Mother. It does make one think about good times past, and all the nice memories. Mothers and daughters usually share so much together. So glad that she is in a better place. I remember when my MIL died, we suddenly came to the realization that now, we are the 'older generation'.

Kate: The good thing about the possibility of glaucoma, is that with eye drops it can be controlled very well, and if this is only the possibility of a beginning, the drops can keep it from going further. Let's hope that might be the case for you.

You gals are feeling 'old' but you have a ways to go yet before you truly qualify for that title. I don't even think that joining AARP at 50 or 55 whichever is their age requirement, counts as 'old'. And just remember, you can still be young in heart and spirit even when you are up in the 80's. I have some friends like that and that is my goal to keep the pizazz in our lives.

Hope you all have a good weekend, and may your team win the Superbowl. Ann