Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-17-2004, 11:12 AM   #1  

Default Dealing with Holiday Goodies

Like most people, during this holiday season I've been faced with goodies being brought to the office, and being more freely available elsewhere. While I have made a conscious decision to loosen the strings a little when appropriate, I still have to work really hard to not go hog wild. I've recently hit upon a mental strategy that I've found helpful.

When I see the cookies or truffles or whatever, I tell myself, "That isn't for me." It's a way of putting it off-limits without demonizing the food. Who is it for? It's for people who:
  • Aren't watching what they eat
  • Have the metabolism of a race horse
  • Can indulge in moderation and not go overboard

I don't fit ANY of those categories, so that food isn't for me.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 11:41 AM   #2  
Walking by faith

Smile Funniegrrl...

I don't think I've ever posted in this forum, but your post caught my eye. WTG! It's hard to be faced with all kinds of goodies, but you have the right idea. There are some things (like anything w/peanut butter for me) that we just CAN'T indulge in! Thanks for sharing your wisdom-and have a wonderful Christmas season
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:17 PM   #3  
stbakd

hi you're post is a good idea, but you should indulge once in awhile so you don't go overboard. glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 02:55 PM   #4  

Umm ... for some people, "indulging once in a while" can LEAD to going overboard. And, I didn't say I didn't, in fact I said just the opposite. I see this philosophy a lot on this board -- that EVERYONE needs to give in to cravings and sate them to prevent a binge. That is true for SOME people, but not everyone. Just like with alcoholism or other substance abuse problems, compulsive overeaters (like me) have to stay away from some things completely because we have a very hard time controlling them most of the time. Please don't assume that one-strategy-fits-all, and tell me what I "should" do.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 03:07 PM   #5  
it's always something

I don't think Glen meant YOU should indulge, but that he meant "you" as in the general public should not always say no 100% of the time. Statistically, those that feel deprived usually don't succeed in their diets, and moderation has proven to be a better approach to dieting.

However, as you mentioned, you are a compulsive overeater, so your needs will be different, and the above doesn't apply to you. The strategy you described sounds wonderful and I'm sure others will benefit from it, thanks for sharing

:merry:
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 07:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 350/336/299

Height: 5'7''

Talking

I was looking for ideas for what to eat in this season.
SkinnyMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:04 PM   #7  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

I think that you have a wonderful strategy - mind if I borrow it?
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:29 AM   #8  

When faced with the goodies in a public place such as office, party, etc., just think of all of the sneezes, unclean hands, etc., which have touched those things. Yeah, I know, paranoid. But, hey, it works.
I also mentally envision what said food item would look like attached to my backside. Not a pretty sight.
Yes, I do occasionally have a goodie, but I plan it in. I worked too darn hard, so long ago, to get my wgt off and I do not want to let it creep back on.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I think those are some super ideas. I too find myself one of those who can let an indulgence turn into several days of indulgence. What I did is write down the days I knew I would have parties, celebrations etc. and have allowed myself to not mess with journalling or watching what I eat on those days. I did try to eat in moderation on those days and yesterday was the only day that I didn't get right back to eating healthy. I'm blaming it on PMS since I pigged out on some peanut butter but come this morning and I'm right back on track. Now if I can just make it through Thursday through Sunday and then New year's Eve and I'll be set and ready to take on 2005!!!!!
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:14 PM   #10  

I have no off limit foods, but I have a trick which really works for me. When I am tempted or have someone trying to tempt me, I tell them whatever they have (insert name here) makes me sick or I'm allergic to something in it. Strange how people stop once they think vomit might be a part of the scenario.
I Thirst 2 Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:34 PM   #11  

I too have no off-limit foods, but that doesnt mean I want to eat everything that comes my way. Not to mention most food that is free is unfortunately not very tastey. What I tell people that offer food that I dont want is "No thank you, I am not hungry". I have been saying this to people when needed for afew years now and it works extremely well, though sometimes you have to say it more than once to some persistent pushers.

JanSanta
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote