Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-14-2004, 06:41 PM   #1  

Default How long did it take to recover after surg?

Hi All!

Well, as you know by now, I've got a surg. date of 3/16. Now I'm wondering how long it will take to recover from the surg. I know that it differs if you've had open or lap. surg. but I'd like a ballpark figure. I just got a promotion at work and I told them it's be at least a month if not longer....

I had my gallbladder out about 10 years ago, lap, and I can't remember how long it took to get back on my feet. The new job involves some lifting, massive hospital reports, every shift and I just want to be safe....it'd really stink to pop a stitch or something.

Thanks!

Deb
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:16 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

deb - this is so exciting . check with your doc. the length of time a person is off depends to a large extent on the type of job. someone with a desk job can often return to work after about 3 weeks. but those who have strenuous jobs [like yours, i think!!!!!] need about 6.

congrats on the well-earned and deserved promotion!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:05 PM   #3  

I'm a nurse, and went back to work after 7 weeks. I had a really hard time at work for about 3 weeks after that. The staples and incision were healed by 7 weeks, but I had a complication and got very sick and very weak at 5 weeks out. It took me until about 10 weeks before I felt like a normal human again. There was a period of time that I was worried I would never feel good again. At work, I felt dizzy a lot, and had a hard time getting in enough fluid in the beginning. Since you have a strenuous job, I would recommmend easing in to it, like work half days for a week or something so that you can get use to it. I wish that I had done that. I'm not trying to scare you about the complication. Chances are you won't have it. You might really feel great starting back at 6 weeks. Definately talk to your doctor about it.
My4Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 08:51 AM   #4  
Hang In There

Ole Alvin went back about 3 days after his lap surgery. Or course he had a "sit-down" job, and didn't stay all day at first. After his "open" surgery, it was a lot longer, but I don't remember exactly how long, so as everyone says, it just depends on the type of surgery, what you do and a lot on your physical condition before the surgery! But you doc can give you a pretty good ballpark figure.

ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:11 AM   #5  

Thanks for the advice! Can't say that my job is as strenous as it sounds....only strenous for about an hour out of a full shift. But hey, if I pop a stitch I'll already be in a hospital . Yeah, isn't that a silver lining?

Deb
Old 12-22-2004, 11:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/255/190

Height: 5'5

Default Just Getting Started

Seasons Greetings,
My name is Nancy and I have always visited this website and found assurance that I was not the only one fighting a life long battle. I found comfort in you guys as a whole. Brave, determined and focused.
I on the other hand was different. At my highest weight of 274 I was sullen. I became addidted to diet it pills (Ephedra) and went down to 217. When they became banned I went through withdrawls and every other pill on the market. I dieted, exercised but watched the avalanche of weight return. I gain all but 14lbs. This is when my menses stoppped and I am now in a deep depression. I kept a food diary and exercise three times a week. I have now started the journey to lap band surgery. I am the only parent my 2 year old has and I don't want to die. I found encouragement in these forums. I have tried some of the things along with members on different boards. Tommorow is my first appointment with Dr. Kurin. My GP this lap band surgery would help.
Thank you for just being you
Nancy Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #7  

Default Welcome

Welcome to the group, Nancy! Hope the meeting with your doc. goes well...I brought a notebook with questions and was writing in it throughout the appointment. It's a big decisions...even with my surg. scheduled I'm still debating what I"m about to do. Good luck! Post often!

Deb
Old 12-27-2004, 12:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/255/190

Height: 5'5

Well I did go to the DR. and I loved loved Dr. Kurian. She is soo personable and explained everything to me in the most effective way. She said I qualified for the surgery and gave me a date of 06/10/05. I will keep you all posted on my progress.
Happy and Healthy New Year to all
Nancy Grace is offline   Reply With Quote