Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 04:10 PM   #1  
i luv my dog!

Default Oxy-Powder intestinal cleanser

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried/heard anything about a product called Oxy-Powder?

Here is what their web site says:
OXY-POWDER™ is unlike other colon cleansers. It uses a proprietary process of creating oxides of magnesium. The 15 to 20 pounds of compacted fecal matter inside your colon is liquefied and flushed out. While psyllium and other fiber products simply scrape matter out through the center of a clogged colon, Oxy-Powder removes old, impacted fecal matter as it detoxifies and cleans the entire colon. By using Oxy-Powder you can melt away the compaction in the small intestine, large intestine, and colon, safe and effectively. {www dot oxypowder dot com}

Any insight would be appreciated. thanx
Old 12-13-2004, 04:44 PM   #2  
it's always something

It sounds kind of scary to me - oxygen based chemicals that give you diarrhea to clean you out?

The body is designed very well and naturally cleanses and detoxifies itself. The idea that we need something to detox us, and the idea that we have such large amounts (pounds) of fecal matter in our intestines are just scare tactics used by sites that sell colon cleansers.

I don't think you can have 15 to 20 pounds of fecal matter in your intestines. Perhaps 2 or 3 might be more reasonable, but that's just a guess. This is similar to the urban legend about John Wayne having 40 pounds of fecal matter, found during his autopsy read more here

If you are having bowel problems, a trip to the gastroenterologist might be in order. Otherwise, I'd suggest letting Mother Nature do her thing. Eat a diet high in fiber and the body will take care of itself. Ignore any claims that we need to detox. They are always mysterious anyway. If we had something toxic in our systems, we should head to the ER. Instead, these claims are always vague and mysterious, and are just scare tactics.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:08 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey! I didn't know the John Wayne story!!

It occurred to me that the marketers of this product seem to be 'adopting' the "Oxy" tag similar to all those "Oxy Clean" products - am I the only one who sees that to be a bit amusing?? "They get my bathroom so spotless, I'm sure they'd work wonders on my personal plumbing!"

I think it would be better to spend a couple bucks on a bag of prunes (or as they now appear to be called in the stores "dried plums"). That ALWAYS works for me!
Old 12-13-2004, 11:12 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Speaking of...

I just found this article right after I posted...pretty interesting!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:01 AM   #5  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
It occurred to me that the marketers of this product seem to be 'adopting' the "Oxy" tag similar to all those "Oxy Clean" products - am I the only one who sees that to be a bit amusing?? "They get my bathroom so spotless, I'm sure they'd work wonders on my personal plumbing!"
That's what I was thinking, lol -- Liquid Plumber!!!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:15 AM   #6  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
Hey! I didn't know the John Wayne story!!
We first heard of this in our early days, there was man that was literally harassing us because he wanted to advertise his colon cleanser here. According to his version, John Wayne had 65 pounds of fecal matter, and that our members could lose xx pounds by using his product. He claimed his wife was a nurse and swore she lost 40 pounds using it, though his wife was never the one posting. We'd delete the posts, we'd ban him, he'd come back under a new username, and it went on for a ridiculous amount of time. We had long and bitter arguments via email, and he would rant incoherently... We'd delete without reading, but it didn't stop. I reported him to AOL for harassment, but they didn't do anything. I think this went on for about a year before it finally stopped. Then a year or two later, he showed up again! I really wish we'd found the snopes article then!

Besides, it doesn't matter HOW long you sit on the crapper, that layer of excess fat isn't going down the john. Spend that time on the treadmill, instead
Old 12-14-2004, 12:11 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
Besides, it doesn't matter HOW long you sit on the crapper, that layer of excess fat isn't going down the john. Spend that time on the treadmill, instead
I do get my best reading time done in the bathroom though...
Old 12-14-2004, 01:00 PM   #8  

I think that the only weight that oxy-power intestinal cleanser will help me lose is due to the calories that I burned off laughing about the name.

I once had abdominal surgery and they made me take this perscription stuff called Golightly (which is a sick joke of a name) that cleans you out. It is nowhere near 10 pounds or some of the other wacky amounts they mention. It is more like maybe a pound tops and the proces of gettin rid of it is rather horrible. Honestly, people are way better off eating their oatmeal and bran flakes.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:12 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Go Lightly! That slays me!
Old 12-14-2004, 02:45 PM   #10  
i luv my dog!

Thanks for your input everyone!

I think the only thing that would get cleaned out is one's wallet.

I'm not having any problems, but I will say that granny's old standby home remedy - prunes - has worked wonders in the past

I had not heard that about John Wayne, either. geez, those urban legends. At least there are ways to validate them now.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:26 PM   #11  

Yes I took that go lightly stuff but mine was called Colyte or some such. Had to drink a gallon of that mess. It cleaned everything out to just clear stuff and there certainly was not pounds in there either. Just thinking of that stuff makes me wanna barf. I think I had the pineapple flavor and they said it was the best, yuk!
Old 12-15-2004, 05:16 PM   #12  

Dr. Andrew Weil has said almost exactly what Suzanne did. Waste of money and effort, because the body does what it needs to do all on its own. If you are constipated, the answer is more fiber, more water, more activity. Constipation not relieved by that solution is a medical issue that may have underlying causes, not something that everyone needs these products for. The other "sludge" (such as intestinal lining) that intestinal cleaners supposedly clears out is either cleared out by Mother Nature herself, or doesn't even exist.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:39 AM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I'm sitting here reading all this and the only thing I can say is my butt was puckering the entire time.

EGADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing I've learned from doing LC diets is, if you want a colon cleansing, just eat a piece or two of candy made with sorbitol or any tol.... you'll get your wish. They should put a warning on those candies/foods that you must give family members 24 hr notice b/4 consuming

Old 01-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #14  
Back fat Be Gone!

Default Had to come back

I saw this forum posted a couple times, but never bothered to read it until now because earlier today I was trying to get a pickle out of my pickle jar but couldn't reach it without dipping my hand into the juice. Which of course I didn't want to do and who knows why I didn't just get a fork, so I drank a little of the juice from the jar to get it down. Once I started I couldn't stop, I LOVE pickle juice and always have even as a kid. When I finally did stop half the jar was gone and now I can't get off the toilet. Soooooo my advice to you would be to forget the expensive colon cleansers and take a few swigs of some pickle juice. Also corn is a natural colon cleanser, we all know it isn't broken down by our gastric juices and it does scrape the intestines and colon clean during the digestive process (I'll give my Anatomy and Physiology professor the credit for that one).
Old 01-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #15  

Hey I just saw this thread and unfortunatelly have quite a bit of first hand experience with this. I have to go in every 5 years for a colonoscopy and in order to get that procedure done I have to be umm cleaned out. I have to use a product called Fleet Phosphasoda and let me tell you, after using it my insides are so clean they squeak!! I just had this done on 1/3 this year and I lost a grand total of 1.5 pounds doing the cleaning and in the morning after the procedure when I had been able to eat again.. I was right back to my regular weight.

I asked my gastroenterologist five years ago about colonics and colon cleaning and he told me the same thing that funniegirl said.. your colon does an excellent job of cleaning itself out and ridding itself of impurities (of course if you have an underlying diseasee that is a whole different ballgame). He advised me not to monkey with the body's natural process, so I didn't.

And besides, those solutions that work well in cleaning you out taste so vile they make cider vinegar taste like a chocolate milkshake..
Closed Thread