Support Groups - Battle of the Bulge #3

View Full Version : Battle of the Bulge #3

Crime girl
12-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Okay- Here is the new thread! Good afternoon everyone.

I will be posting a recap on here sometime today so check back for that.. :D
I lost 2 pounds this week so I lost the pound from last week and one for this week so that is not too bad- especially considering that that my office party caused me to cheat a lot. :lol:

Okay well- I am running a million miles per hour today so I am going to go.
I will be back later for the recap and everyone who wants to- weigh in.
:cb: :cb:

Let's get back into it everyone- it seems like some of us have been struggling (like me for example) but we need to get ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and get excited about doing this again. :cool: :strong: :jig: :dancer:

We can do this!! Even if you fall off the wagon - hop on the board so we can get you back on track. :)

Thanks again for all the support from everyone!
:spin: :spin: :spin:

kjk123
12-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Hi all!

No numbers to report today - I still haven't managed to fight the holiday crowds and get out to buy a scale. But I'm making it a concerted effort to do so some evening this week, at which time I will report the news (however good or bad it may be).

I agree with you, Crime girl, and I'm on board. I have my office party tonight, so I'm sure I will be bad, no matter how hard I try. But that is the end of my holiday parties, and then I should be right back on track. We all need to try to do our best throughout the holidays and keep each other motivated.

I hope that everyone will get back on board and together we can keep going strong. Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend, and I'll try to check back tonight after the party.

Kelly

little grasshopper
12-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi everyone! Today started out slowly for me. I've been scale hopping and they all said something different this week. I have no idea what I did this week. I know I didn't gain weight but I'm not sure if I lost any or not. My clothes are fitting me better. I'm going to have to go with 145 as my weight this week and stick to the one set of scales - even though they're old as dirt. I can't take the scale hopping stress!!

Kjk - Good luck at the holiday part tonight!!! Remember this is a really tough time of year to be good!! Imagine what you would have eaten last year! If you can, eat before you go :) I definately helped me at ours.

Crime Girl - you're going to run yourself dry! Hope you're having a good weekend. Looking forward to the recap.

I'm off to make a meatloaf I can eat. Tough considering the restrictions....Talk to everyone soon!

stormy1
12-12-2004, 06:04 PM
Well I am down five pounds total for the week. I wish the weight loss would be this much every week, but it will plateau soon I am sure. As long as a get a healthy 2 pounds off a week I will be pleased. I have three more Christmas parties b/t now and Sunday. Last night I did pretty good except I had two glasses of wine. I had no dessert and chicken breast with veggies at the party.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Let's eat healthier and exercise even better than we did last week!

little grasshopper
12-12-2004, 06:37 PM
First, Stormy - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! 5 pounds in one week had to feel really good! And also, great job at the holiday party!

Okay, Tonight I decided to play with some recipes and I made Swedish Meatballs with meat, chicken broth, brown rice, nutmeg and dry mustard, salt and pepper. They're YUMMY!!! Then I made a cream sauce out of butter, chicken broth, rice flour and rice milk. It's a little sweet but the meatballs are spicy so they balance really well!!!

It's a perfect south beach meal :) :) And I CAN EAT IT! I love meatballs and haven't been able to have any until tonight :) :) I'm so excited! :) :)

okay, gotta go eat another one :)

stormy1
12-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Little grass hopper your meal sounds yummy :dizzy:

Can I come over for dinner? :D

Crime girl
12-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Hi everyone!!! Finally, I got it together and I am going to attempt a weekly recap- If I forget or miss anything, please forgive me. :D

Stormy- wishes if she was stuck on an island that she would have her hubby with her, a boat to come home, and enough gas to get back. She is finally out of school until Jan and has been busy doing all kinds of chores. Her office party was last night and I am sure she looked wonderful in her all black outfit. ;) All week she has been doing good- she made tons of cookies and only ate one, gave great recipe tips, and has done a ton of exercise. One of her greatest accomplishments was getting through cadavor anatomy and I think I speak for everyone when I say -sounds hard and scarey. Great job this week stormy- we knew you could do it! :D

Little grasshopper- She is a massage therapist and in her spare time likes to read Bella Tuscany and test her willpower. She is still addicted to rice and seems to be in awe of "ice dream" so I am a little concerned about her. She shared some great health facts with us this week- freaky but good. Her bf wised up and took her out on the town to a play this week - good job bf! :D It might just make up for the Turkey fryer. Her dogs went a little nutty this week and tried to eat her vitamins as well as her neighbor is having some kind of police problem so she has had some strange happenings this week. If she was stuck on an island she would want either her dogs or bf, something to make fire with, and blankets. No yacht?? I think her biggest wish has got to be the introduction of new foods into her diet. I was amazed to learn that she graduated with a 4.0 while working 3 PT jobs. :cp: She has been doing really well this week and we are all not a but surprised- we knew she could do it! :cb:

kjk- She re-enrolled in WW this week. :bravo: She braved someone eating candy in front of her without caving. She was in a 7 hr meeting on Tuesday so she has been working hard this week. If stuck on an island she would want matches, water, and her friend Allie. She accomlished earning her BA and MEd while maintaining a 4.0 her senior year. If she were to win the lottery she would buy herself a killer house. She bravely faced the shopping crowds at an outlet mall this week as well. :) :cp:

Cinisha- She has been doing overtime this week and has been doing great following her 1600 calorie diet and exercise program. :dancer: If she was stuck on an island she would want a boat, a male friend, and a cellphone ( I am guessing to call in more beautiful men) :lol: Her wonderful son is one of her greatest accomplishments and I bet she is a great mom. Also, on her cheat day she only had one taco as a treat. She has done really well this week and we all knew she could do it!!! :D :cb:

Susanne- She has a stressed day on Monday but pulled it out anyway this week and avoided the "ice cream" cheerleaders trying to pull her into stores to buy them. If she was on an island she would want a certain man she knows, a nice comfy king size bed, and her bath stuff. Hubba hubba! :lol: I think she deserves it this week- she had a hard exam and she still stayed on course with her diet. :bravo: We knew she could do it and I bet she did really well this semester at school! :) :dance:

Red Balloon- She was only on in the first part of the week but I hope she is reading along in HK. We found out this week she is one of Japan's top ranking horse riders and owns her own horse. ( I am still SO jealous) She is currently covering international horse races in Hong Kong and last we spoke she was doing a great job staying on course with her plan. Come back soon red- we miss you! :D :flow1:

Oraki- She has been on a little less this week but that is OK. We missed her though. If she was stuck on an island she would want her hubby, a yacht, and birth control. (You go girl!) Despite her frustration this week she has been doing really well and we are all really proud of her! We knew she could do it!! :flow2:

Healthy- She is doing a modified South Beach and Sugar Buster diet and has been doing so well this week. If she was stuck on an island she would want a boat,her family and friends, and some entertainment. One of her greatest accomplishments is her marriage and her two wonderful children. If she won the lottery she would want to travel and would dedicate some money to women's health issues. We knew she would do well this week! :dancer:

Jazzmine- She has come back to the land of the living this week and we are so happy she is feeling a little better. If she was stuck on an island she would want Mel Gibson, a fully stocked boat, and some birth control. ( Sounds like a party to me) We all hope she is feeling better and the sty has gone away and left her alone. Despite that- she has done well and we knew she could do it! :D :bubbles:

Michiemish- - She has had a stressful week this week and we are so proud of her sticking it out on her plan. She attended another WW meeting this week and has been following the program. If she won the lottery she would get her own personal trainer and build a gym for people trying to lose weight. She is in our prayers this week and we are so proud of her! :D :sunny:

I hope you all enjoyed the recap and I hope everyone is doing well!
Have a great night everyone!!!

stormy1
12-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Crimegirl, great job on the recap :)

I was wondering, would any of you mind sharing what height you are?

I am 5 feet seven inches and I was wondering if anyone else in our little group is the same height?

kjk123
12-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Crime girl - awesome job! That must have taken forever!!!

Stormy - I am between 5'7" and 5'8", so we're about the same height.....

Hope everyone had a great weekend, best of luck to all this week...

Kelly

redballoon
12-13-2004, 04:25 AM
Hi there. Found the new thread. Thanks, crime girl. Back in Tokyo now. Break was good. Tiring though. Much too short. Really need a true vacation, not just a change in scenery.

I really want to get back in shape, not that I ever had the body I wanted, but it was better than it is now. I'm going to go off sugar from tomorrow (my Tuesday) and cut all processed food again, then. . . get more exercise back in my routine and slowly work my way to beautiful health again! Yes, crime girl, you're right. some of us have been struggling, myself especially. I really have to start caring for myself again, like I used to. :no:

Oh, and crime girl. STOP with the best rider bit! :lol: please!

kjk -- have fun at your party. of course, parties, especially year-end ones, are for having fun and that usually means eating and drinking. But it's never one or two parties that blows it, and besides, it's a motivator to have the parties to look forward to and lose weight and get healthy for, right? :yes:

little grasshopper -- great to hear the clothes are fitting better. don't worry about the scale. The clothes have it. Good for you. :cp:

stormy -- congratulations on the weight loss! 5 lbs! Wow!! And, you sound like you did a fantastic job handling the parties, now there's something I have to learn. I always overdo it if I'm having a good time. In fact, the better of a time I'm having, the more I overdo it! Well, keep it up. :cp:

While we're on heights here. . . I'm only 5' 1 1/2" Any other short people out there?

redballoon
12-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Okay, it's Tuesday morning here and this is it, going ot make a new start! Wish me luck!! :cb:

stormy1
12-13-2004, 04:47 PM
Red balloon, you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oraki
12-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Hey everyone!!! Welll I've gotten myself together and I'm back. I went to the doctor over the weekend and found out I have bronchitis. Yikes!! I guess that's why I've been feeling so blah lately. I had been having this cough and congestion for over a month and I couldn't get rid of it. My husband and mother were very upset with me for waiting so long to go to the doctor. They made me use a nebulizer and gave me some medicine and I feel SOOO much better. I faced the scale yesterday and I'm at 273.5 I GAINED!!! ACCK!!!! Okay I'm going to calm down. I'm just going to keep at it and take it one day at a time. I did go to a local WW office and I'm thinking about joining. I'm not for sure about the price though. Right now me and my hubby are on a budget so I may have to look for a cheaper alternative. Maybe TOPS. Well it looks like everyone is off to a great start. I'm going to hit the treadmill and I'm steaming some shrimp, broccolli and carrots for dinner. Yum!!! I completely forgot I had a steamer. Now I have to find some different things to use it for!!!

Congrats stormy1 on the weight loss!! You're doing great!!!

little grasshopper Those meatballs sound sooo good!! I've been looking for a recipe for lower fat meatballs. The ones in the store have so much fat.

crimegirl great recap!! you're right we have to make sure we stay with it. I'm sorry I was MIA for a few days. But I'm back now. We just have to take it one day at a time. I just got really frustrated when I realized I had gained weight.

redballon How's it going??? I hope great!! I know you can do it!!

Oh almost forgot I'm 5'4". Yeah I'm kinda short! lol

Michiemish
12-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Hey everyone.. Good afternoon everyone

I have been busy lately just like everyone else..But i haven't even done my christmas shopping yet..I have to get it done when i have a day off on weds.Hopefully i can go back to my apartment ..I have so much to do and have to make cookies for work and the family...I'm going to try to resist on eating more than 5...i know i will eat some...Not evn going to trying to say i'm not going to eat any...Also trying to find a housekeeper for my mom for the next 6months i thought it would be a nice christmas present for her when she starts chemo...

Oraki - that sucks that u got sick..But still sounds that u are moving and getting things done..I would be sitting on the couch being lazy..Hope u get better..And don't worry about the gain..i'm sure its going to melt off soon..

Little Grasshoper - I love meatballs too...If it is not a family secret reciepe can u share the reciepe with me please..That sounds good...Espscially with this weird weather i am having out here...

Crime girl - u sound like u always running around...Don't u ever take a breath..just kidding...You rock...

Anyways have to get back to work..Talk to u guys later..
Oh yeah i'm 5'6 and 3/4 last time i checked..

Later gators
Michelle

little grasshopper
12-13-2004, 06:43 PM
Hi guys, I just wrote a nice long post and hit the wrong post button and lost it! doooh!

Redballoon - welcome back! We missed you. Glad the horse shows were a hit and good to have you back. Ready to start some serious weight improvements :)

Oraki - man girl, you were sick! Glad you're feeling better now!! Be careful you don't over do it too soon. Good to see you again thoug :)

Michie - great idea for your mom!! She'll love that and really appreciate it during the chemo too. That's a really thoughtfull idea. No, the meatball recipe isn't a family secret. I typed it up and saved it. If you send me your email address I'll forward it to you. The sauce is a bit different because the rice milk makes it a bit sweet but I love it!

Crime girl - did you run yourself out of energy? :) Love the recaps!!

I'd better get to supper. (sorry, I'm southern :) ) It was a LONNNNGGG day and I'm ready to just sit and relax for a while before I have to do it all again tomorrow. :) Talk to you later tonight!

kjk123
12-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Hi all!

Oraki - so sorry to hear that you were sick, but glad to see that you're back!

Red Balloon - way to get recommitted. That's awesome!

Michiemish - I hear you about the Christmas shopping. I have only bought about 4 or 5 gifts, and they've all been online. So I'm seriously behind the 8 ball....I'm gonna tackle a few places tomorrow but I don't know how long I'll last.

Haven't done too well today - unfortunately! But tomorrow's a new day....I'll be working off my food by shopping til I drop!!!

Have a great night!!!!

Kelly

Crime girl
12-13-2004, 08:09 PM
How is everyone this beautiful night? It is starting to finally get cold in Florida and I am so happy! :D

Red Balloon- You Go Girl!!! You can do it!!! :cb: :cb: :cb:
I am glad you are back and talking again on the board- we missed you!

oraki- I am so sorry you have been sick and I am also happy you went and got some meds to make you feel better. Get well soon! :flow1: I think I am going to join WW so I know how you feel. If money is tight do what you can. it sounds like you are off to a great start! ;)

michimesh- That is such a great present for your mom!! She is going to love it! :) Don't worry about a few cookies- I have been so proud of you staying on course as well as you have when you are under so much stress. You should be so proud of yourself! :cp:

little grasshopper- anything on the neighbors yet?? I am so curious about what happened. Sorry I haven't been on much- I have been running around like a crazy person- I put so much off when I am in school that I end up with a long list when I get out. On top of that, I am trying to find a job so that has been stressing me out. :dizzy:

kjk- Dont sweat it! Tomorrow is another day- baby steps and each one will add up to a long distance as time goes by. :coffee: Shop til you drop and maybe park way back in the lots and walk that way. Have fun!!

stormy- whats new with you this week?? How are things?

Before I forget- I am 5'5" and about that far across as well. :rofl: I make a perfect circle... :lol:
Anyway- that is all I have for now- I am being a big nerd and already reading for next semester too. It will be my last semester..Thank you God!

Okay- well have a wonderful night everyone!!! Make sure you are nice and not naughty- Santa is coming to town. :D

little grasshopper
12-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Crime Girl - Good luck with the job search! What do you want to do?

JKJ - you're right. Tomorrow IS a new day :) :) Have fun shopping. Don't hit anyone - it's mean out there :)

I got a stocking tonight. I lost mine in our last move. BF SHOCKED me by picking one with a big snow man and a chalk board so I can write my name on it. (he says it's so if I leave him, he can just erase the name and give it to his next.....I wrote in sharpee marker :D foolish boy!) Anyway, he bought me a Christmas stocking. This is NOT the guy I'm use to :) I like what ever is happening.

Okay, time to get ready for tomorrow. Another big day - I hope you guys have a good one!! Be productive and be a great big loser :) :)

stormy1
12-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Hi guys. Seems like everyone is busy doing Christmas stuff.

Oraki, get some rest.

KJK- have fun shopping!

Michimesh-what a great idea for a gift for your mom. She will really appreciate it!

Red balloon-stay positive

Little GH- wow-what have you done to that BF? How long have you been dating him?

Crime girl-you BIG NERD-now I feel like I better get started on my next term. Good for you but give yourself a little break.

I do have to get myself motivated for school b/c I do not really want to go back. I start back on 1/6/05. I have one more year left. I keep telling myself-one year-one year...but then I think about the 7 1/2 hour drive and the devotion it takes and the time it takes and how everything and everyone else gets put on the back burner and it just sucks! Anyway...

Ate pretty good today. 1/2 pb and jelly sandwich on wheat, 1/2 apple. one Zone bar, one slice turkey, and then for dinner a little roast beef with brown rice and green beans.

Workout-20 minutes elliptical trainer, weight training for upper body

redballoon
12-14-2004, 01:53 AM
Heh people. thanks for all your welcome backs. I don't know. I'm feeling really good. And yesterday I was in the pits. Maybe something's clicked. After feeling awful for a few months now, maybe I've finally decided to stop playing the victim. I've been working so hard, doing so much, all because I needed the money to keep my horse. But the work was just not working out, no pun intended. I was oh so stressed and acting like I had no choice.

But getting away, seeing my brother, talking a lot, meeting old friends, riding my horse this morning, I think I've just had it with the sh*t. I'm hoping I can hold on to this feeling and run with it.

stormy -- thanks so much for your great vote of confidence! I saw your message on my cell phone while I was still out and it gave me a great boost. It helped me get past some usual pitfalls (these include stuffing my face with ice cream and rice crackers usually) and instead I stuck to cashews and giant corn kernels. I even stopped off at the store to get the makings of a from-scratch lentil soup (well, what I thought might taste good with lentils) and got spices too. Got home and had a sweet potato with butter and now I'm cooking the soup. Will probably turn out kinda strange but it's better for me than the stuff I've been stuffing in lately. So, yeah, thanks a ton.

And congrats on what sounds like a great day for you, good eating, exercise. Keep it up!! And you're telling me to stay positive . . . so you too, lay off the beating yourself up about putting things up. It's hard getting it ALL together and you're doing so well with the eating/exercise. Focus on what you have done well, even if it's small (and that wasn't small even) and stop looking at what you haven't done. Good luck, kid!

oraki -- so sorry to hear you have bronchitis. I had that once, wouldn't stop going, and I was running and working out hard with weights. Finally, a friend forced me to the hospital and the doctor put me on immediate bed rest for a week, said I was a hair's breadth away from pneumonia. I had been turning bluish and under my nails was blue but i kept at it thinking I wasn't going to be weak and lazy. This was a long time ago when I pushed myself past the limit all the time. But I'm thinking you may have similar tendencies. If you have bronchitis be careful of the treadmill. Unless you're just walking really slowly. Anyhow, take care of yourself, OK? Heh, and thanks for the encouragement.

Michie -- hello there. I don't think we've met. I'm afraid I havent' been around enough to follow the threads. Does your mother have cancer? You speak of chemo. If that's so, I'm so sorry and I wish her the best. I went through it all with my mom when I was a teen. I'll say a prayer for you.

grasshopper -- thanks for the welcome back. Don't you hate it when you lose the long posts?!?! It seems to happen a lot around here. I would suggest typing your message in on a separate text file and then pasting it in. That's what I do usually. And yes, I am serious now. With me, it's not just the weight. I want to get it all together in so many ways, just start acting like the all-together person I know I can be but tend to only show in small spurts that mean I'm usually in a state of disarray! Not sure, by the way, I follow the boyfriend's stocking gift. Isn't it a bit early for that? Or did he just buy it and will fill it for Christmas later? In any case, if it's a change for the positive, great! Let's hope it continues.

kjk -- Hi there. Yes, I'm doing it. No sugar, no processed food, no caffeine 'cept in the morning and then that's it! I'd done that for a couple years, but have been sinking into very bad habits again. I was pushing myself so hard that I was hyping myself with megadoses of coffee to just keep going. But I knew it was taking its toll on my health and my mental health as well. I have a tendency to overthink things and used to be real bad but had gotten to a point where I could really use my thinking to help me. Well, I tell you, recently, it was getting out of hand again and I blame the poor diet, too much sugar and too much caffeine. Beer didn't help either. So, I'm cleaning up to go out this year feeling good. You know, in Japan, the year end is a time for cleaning (like our spring cleaning). I've never done it before but I think I will this year! Yes!!

crime girl -- thanks for the cheers and saying you missed me. It sure makes me feel good to have people saying that. It's what I need! Oh, you made me laugh again with your height measurements and your width! :rofl: Looks like I'm the shortest one around here. I should be wearing size 6s or 4s or something. Oh well, big bones and all that. . . . .
Heh, nothing nerdy about studying. Are you in school? Whatcha studyin'?
Oh, and heh, for the record, it's not just horses I'm into. I got four puddy cats here as well. Great space heaters in the winter 'cause I don't have any central heating. Anyone else around here with animals? and crime girl, what happened to the weekly question, or is that only on Mondays. I wasn't around for the last ones, or wimped out because I didn't know what to say. yes, and a special thanks for your synopses. That takes a lot of work and helps keep us all together as a support group. You're a good leader and we luv ya! :grouphug:

OK, over and out. Hope you're all doing well and will have a great Tuesday. I'm well into mine here. It's now 4 in the afternoon. Ciao tutti!!!

little grasshopper
12-14-2004, 07:43 AM
Morning everyone! It's cold here!!!

Redballoon - the stocking was a big change for the better for the BF. He just bought the stocking itself. He knew I couldn't find mine and that I love snow men so he found me the biggest snowman stocking he could find. It was very sweet. I have a fish tank and two dogs. One is a yellow lab puppy that is HUGE (maggie). We rescued her and she has all kinds of fear issues still so it's a challenge keeping her calm sometimes. The other is an Australian Sheppard named Mac. He's 3 but is still a puppy...I don't think they ever out grow puppyhood.

Stormy - glad things are going strong for you!! This is a tough time of year to be good but it sounds like you're doing really well. Good for you! I've been dating Bf for 3 1/2 years. Oh, and he has now decided that he will slack off through the holidays and then he's getting back into cycling shape again. He use to cycle all the time and was on the verge of being too fit - if that's a thing. He stopped just like me and we gained weight together. I've been fighting to get healthy again but he's been bringing in the crap we use to eat. I knew he'd need to sort it out for himself - I couldn't nag him to eat better...well he's finally ready. I'm really glad for him. He's one of those guys that DOES care when his weight isn't exactly where it should be.

I think back at how I use to eat and it scares me!! I use to LIVE at vending machines. I was so addicted to caffeine that I would get a coke and drink 1 swallow every 5 minutes or so, even when it was hot....then as soon as it ran out I'd either run get another one or send my assistant for one. She picked on me all the time about the way I ate but it didn't click. My breakfast was usually a candy bar and coke...then another candy bar if I was hungry. Lunch was either the same with chips, or I'd got to Wendys and get something horrible there....then the afternoon candy bar....then I'd get fast food on the way home. It's no wonder I was getting so sick and in so much pain!! I'm lucky I didn't get more sick!!!! I think I had the worst eating habbits of anyoen I know!!

I really like and respect that we're all making positive changes. And I agree with you Redballoon - it seems like when eating is out of control, the rest of life is too. I feel much more pulled tegether now than I did a year ago.

okay I am late for work, but very very motivated :) Can't wait to read everyone's post tonight. You guys really motivate me :) :) thank you!!

Crime girl
12-14-2004, 08:10 AM
Hey everybody!!

It is Tuesday and we are one step closer to Friday and the weekend! Hooray!!

Red balloon-I am so glad you are so motivated and excited about losing weight! To answer your question I am a graduate student in Criminology. I have one more semester and I graduate. As for the daily question I think I must have missed a day- I am glad someone noticed- it means that you like doing them and it isn't just me that enjoys the responses. I will put one on the bottom of my post for everyone to work on today. :D

little grasshopper- I am so happy your bf appears to be on board with the program. It is so much easier when you have support and someone to motivate you. I am also glad he has been treating you so well lately. Is he always that nice? Go bf!! Keep it up buddy!
You are so right about life being out of control when your eating habits are. It does seem like life is in more balance- I was the same as you before and then I would complain I was sick all the time. Sometimes hindsight is shocking- I was also addicted to caffeine. :coffee: ALso to answer your question I am trying to get a job as a forensic accountant. I am applying with the SEC, Secret Service, FBI, and other government agencies. I am also applying to some of the accounting firms and I might end up having to work as a regular auditor for awhile before I can do forensic work. ;)

stormy- Stick it out with school!! That year will go so fast and will be so worth it even with all the sacrifices. I also start back on the 6th and I have one of my hardest classes next semester so I am trying to get ahead. I admit I am such a nerd with school. I am the girl that always has her homework and always goes to class. I am stubborn that if I pay for it I want to get the most out of it. It sounds like you are doing well n your plan- so keep up the great work! :)

Okay- I have to go to work so I better run!
For today- a question-
Who is or has been your role model?? What person or people have influenced your path in life and why?

Okay- have a wonderful day everyone!!

stormy1
12-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Hi guys! Great encouragement this morning!

I have three cats. We started with one and then rescued another. They are 8 and nine. I always said I am not going to be the "cat lady" of the neighborhood. Two cats max. Well, as you animal lovers know...we rescued another one. He is nuts. In fact, he is in the Christmas tree right now. I am afraid that when I get home the whole tree may be on the ground.

My biggest role model has probably been my mom. She has always taught me to work hard and to not expect anything to be given to me.

I am going workout now. Tonight I have another Christmas party! So I am working out this AM to get it out the way.

Today everyone should try to remember how long it took us to gain this weight so be patient with yourself when trying to lose it.

Michiemish
12-14-2004, 10:35 AM
hey everyone :grouphug:

Its tuesday which means its my friday for work... :dancer: And i have a meeting with the captain the last 2 hours of my shift...so should be easy day...I took my duffle bag with me this morning when i left for work so hopefully i can be back at my own place..have to go talk to the bf...he is being a normal guy and being a dork..all well...

Red Ballon - hello there..I haven't been on much either lately because i have been staying at my parents house..My mom was just diganosed on monday w stage 4 cancer...Doctor said it was advanced but hopefully she she is young enough (54yrs) and healthy enough that hopefully chemo will work..just have to wait and see..But nice to meet u.. :D

Stromy - your now where near being a cat lady....My mom raises persain cats and shows them..We have over 20...now that is a cat lately..Expensive one at that...lol

Well have to get back to work..

Michelle

redballoon
12-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Good morning all. It's Wednesday morning here and I made it through yesterday with flying colors I'd say. :flow1: Life is fraught with uncertainty and I eat out of anxiety but I'm trying to realize that this is only making it much worse, because then I feel bad about myself. So I'm going to really try to just calm down (outside I look like nothing phases me inside I'm all 'aflutter!) and prepare and eat good food. If I have no time, I can always eat nuts or a piece of fruit. This sugar and caffeine is just the pits.

I have so many cookbooks and there are so many excellent recipe sites on the Net that there really is no excuse for not having a repetoire of guick, healthful and easy things to whip up and eat. Sure, it's hard and all that but heh, what's the alternative, giving in to the offerings outside in the restaurants and convenience stores AND paying money for them on top of that.

So, please, everyone, wish me luck on Day No. 2 of taking care of myself and putting myself first again. :sunny:

lilttle grasshopper -- Ok, after the stocking explanation I now see what a sweet thing it is. Hope it continues. I mean, that's what boyfriends are for, aren't they?! That's great that he's athletic (even if only at heart at times) and wants to get back in shape. I do think I know what you mean about "too fit." I had a boyfriend once who was in the military here, paratrooper, very fit, nuts about cycling. His great bod is what attracted me to him in the first place but lo! his attitude didn't stop at himself and he was constantly criticizing me that I was too easy on myself, weak, fat, etc. etc. blah blah blah. I got rid of him toute suite!! It sounds like your guy has a better balance. There's also the kind of people who want and encourage others to be UNLIKE them so they can feel superior.

Anybody who rescues animals gets mega gold stars next to her name in my book! :grouphug: Thank you, thank you!! I don't think I know what an Australian shepard looks like. I'll try to find it on the Net. Out at the stable where I ride there are four dogs and on the way there I stop off and give food to two poor dogs who are chained on constantly. They are starving and no one cares for them and I try to feed them but sometimes I wonder if I'm not just prolonging their misery. I mean, they get a little food and usually seem to have water and have little houses but that's it. The people just totally neglect them. This is very, very common in Japan and it makes me sick. Anyone, I'll get off that topic. . . Yes, well the dogs at the club are a lab, a French bull, a mixed dog that was born to one of the dogs chained on and I found a home for her and there's also a little Jack Russell. So, it's like I have all the horses in the stable, about 25, 6 dogs and my four cats. I absolutely adore animals. I used to walk dogs at the animal shelter when I was a teen and always walked the neighbor's dog when I was a kid, in addition to my own dog and we had 8 or 9 cats at one time, mostly thanks to me bringing them home. I guess some things just stay with us all through our lives, don't they? Ok, enough of the animal reminiscing. . .

Yes, vending machine lifestyles. Isn't it great that you now recognize the horrors of the way things were? That just shows how far you've come and that means the battle is more than half won, I'd say.

I've been out of the States for years now and Americans are getting a bad rap because of the obesity that is so prevalent there. I was just watching a program on it while I was on the plane flying back from Hong Kong. It's true, the sizes one sees in the U.S. now are unique, let's say. But I think, Americans are on top of things because they are realizing how they need to change and are changing, becoming educated and aware, like all the people here on this forum. And that means everything because once you've been there and get out you really, really understand it. People who think they are better but have never experienced something are really the vulnerable ones. The program too talked about how Brits were now in grave danger of going the same way as Americans. And I see it hear in Japan. People are eating garbage (fast food and chips and stuff). A lot have not put on weight because they starve themselves otherwise but their skin is bad, their hair dull and I fear they are in for major problems not too far down the road. So, anyhow, more power to you!!

crime girl -- Ok, now the name makes sense!! I was wondering about it. Criminology, that sounds so cool. It's something I would be interested in doing. My great aunt was a detective on the New York police force, I think the first and I think I have it in the blood. Took criminal psychology back in school and found it very interesting. Unfortunately (?) my path went the way of foreign languages and my Wanderlust got the better of me and I went off to Germany, India and now Japan. Anyhow, I wish you the best in your studies and hope you get that job in forensics. Would that make you like Scully on the X-Files?

Yeah, motivated I think I am. I don't know why. But maybe I've just had enough with the farting around I've been doing but just didn't stop until I started getting the short end of things for a while. My pride usually gets me back on track. Let's hope I can keep it up.

Yes, I like the questions you give us, even if I have a hard time answering them. They're great to get us thinking about what we're about, what we really want, value and respect and not. Role model? Hmmm. Difficult. I can't say I have one. I think I have had several throughout my life, all the time in fact, because I'm easily influenced by people. Yeah, really, I think there are too many to say. BUT, now that I think about it, the people in my life recently who have influenced me in a GOOD way would have to be a trainer at the gym, bodybuilder, 13 times Japan champion. His logical, cut-the-bullsh*t, cut-the-excuses approach to things can be very annoying but I always go away saying, "yeah, he's right" and I think I have tried to assimilate that thinking into my own. The other person now is my riding teacher. I probably only see her influence directly where it concerns riding but riding to me is a metaphor for life (I do dressage) and the things I learn there are things I use all the time in other areas of my life, so I'd have to say she is a role model.

stormy -- Allright!! another animal person. AND, another rescuer!! :bravo: More gold stars!!! :spin: Cats in the Christmas tree. Oh yes, they love them. All those neat noises and shaking around, the prospect of birds hiding out in the dark places amidst the needles, maybe a nest or two. Cats are nuts and I love them!

Good for you, getting a workout in. You did go, right? :yes: Workout cancels out party. Great equation. It's that kind of thinking I think that helps us get in shape or at least stop any slides into oblivion. There's a woman at the gym, former Ms. Japan bodybuilder. She's retired from competition now and has dropped most of the muscle but she's still like fatless. She'll be pedaling away hard on the bike and I'll talk to her. She says she does it so she can enjoy the beer that night. That ex-bf I spoke of earlier was like that. He's be figuring out what he had to do the next day to make up for an excess food he'd eaten the previous day. OK, ok, things can get out of hand, but basically, I think that's what we gotta be doing too. ugh. . . but ok, I'll do it. . . . or try. . .

michiemish -- hope you enjoy your weekend and yes, I certainly wish your mother the best. How is your weight loss going? I don't have a handle on what you're doing. Are you following a plan, just trying to eat better. That duffle bag you speak of, is that for getting in a workout?..?..? :strong: In any case, good luck to you. :sunny:

Ok, people, sorry for writing so much. It's caffeine-fuled, my morning shot. Hope I didn't bore you all too much. If it gets too tedious just hit the scroll button. . . Ok, bye for now and good luck with your day. :dancer:

little grasshopper
12-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Hi guys - I'm going to be quick because I'm beat. It was good but long, and hard day! It's freezing in my house and I want to go to bed...I can't eat there at least...right??????

The person that I feel had the most influence on my path in life was my doctor after a car accident when I was 15. There were questions as to whether or not I'd walk, have children, or ever be without pain meds. He didn't give much merrit to any of that. He treated me like he always expected me to heal completely and he's the reason I do what I do today. He calmed me when regular MD's gave bad advice and he took the time to teach me about my recovery - not just dictate what I needed. He treated me for several years - until I moved away from my home town and when I went back to college I called him for research all the time and he always ALWAYS returned my calls and gave me all the time I needed. I will always consider him the best doctor I know and he really is the reason I wanted to get into pain management. So that I can help people the way he helped me.

okay, really do need to go to sleep now. I'll write tomorrow. I've been good today - promise. TOM is making me gain weight though so I might have to throw the scales out the windo for a while. night night

stormy1
12-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Good to know I am not the only one who is going through TOM this week. Throw the scales out the window. Plus, I ate two peanut butter balls and two cookies at the party and now I feel as sick as a dog. Why did I do that?

Red balloon, you lead such an exciting life. Very cool! I have a friend who recently gave up dressage, she is in her 60s. Her daughter still does it.

redballoon
12-14-2004, 10:57 PM
stormy -- "exciting life?" I don't know. It just seems like a hectic rat race most of the time, but I just happen to be in places that sound exotic. But, you're right, maybe I should think of it as exciting instead and then I won't stuff sugar in my face. hmmm. . . . let's see, I'll try to think of the exciting part tomorrow morning when my alarm goes off at 3:45 a.m. and I have to walk 20 minutes in the dark and cold to get to the train, to get on the train for the 70 min. ride to then get off the train and walk another 45 min. all while freezing . . .to get to the stable where the water pipes are probably frozen and go to see my horse. . . and yes, now that's the part I like, where I can warm my hands on her lovely golden neck. . .well, maybe not exciting but it certainly is different at times. . . :lol:

You know, most people who ride horses are loaded with dinero and can have their $30,000 horse more or less whisked to their side, upon which they'll gracefully place their $1,000 custom made calf leather boots into the stirrup of their $3,000 dollar saddle and voila off they go into the sunset. Me, well you read the part about getting there but the horse is one who's such a stubborn little dear that no one else wants to (or can) ride her. My boots are 5 years old, busting at the seams yet again, my saddle isn't even mine and it's cracked and full of holes and . . .oh, well, what I'm learning from this experience is a whole lot more (I keep saying to myself) than the prima donnas will get out of theirs. What the heck . . . there's nothing like snuggling your face up against a warm horse neck. . . it's priceless. :love:

stormy1
12-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Red balloon, now the whole exotic image is gone :) Enjoy what you are doing b/c you are lucky to be doing what you love. Not everyone gets to do what they love. Plus you are getting to travel, which is something that not everyone gets to do. How have you been doing with your eating and exercising? What is the time difference b/t where you are located and the States.

Everyone else, where are you? :( I know it is just a crazy time of year, isn't it?

Hope you all have a great day (or night)!

Crime girl
12-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Hi everyone!
Wow- we got quiet there for a little while. Christmas is such a busy time of year. :D Hope everyone is doing well.

red balloon- your life is still glamorious to me! It must be fun to live in Japan- where are you from originally? You are doing so well keeping on plan and you are really motivating me! ;) It is funny you talked about rescuing animals- I have one dog and he is rescued from a guy who tied him to a pole and gave him no water or food. It breaks my heart everytime I think of him being treated that way. His name is Charlie and we got him from a dog rescue organization and he has been the best dog. He is so loving and sweet- there should be a special place in **** for people that abuse animals.

Michimesh- I am so happy that you are checking in and trying to stay in the swing of things. Hang in there and we are here when and if you need us. Have a great time on your "weekend" :D

stormy- don't sweat the cookies at your party. Besides that- how was it? did you have fun?? I am so jealous you have cats- I am such a cat person- unfortunately my boyfriend is allergic so no cats for me. :stress: I hate to say it but it is such a sacrifice for me because I have always owned at least one cat. :^: Anyway- I love your reminder that it took us awhile to get like this so it will take awhile for us to lose it. So true- it is easy to want it to happen right now without thinking about all the time we got to indulge. :)

little grasshopper- your role model was so touching to me- I hope he knows the impact that he had on your life. It is amazing how things work out to me- out of something bad something so truly special and good emerges. Hope you had a good night sleep and you need to turn on your heater. It is a wonderful 29 degrees here in Florida this morning and my house feels like a furnace. I love cold weather! :coffee:

Okay well I have runaway mouth syndrome long enough. Today is "what in the heck have I been eating day". How about we share our favorite quick recipe? and if you have them- foods we eat when we are in a hurry and on the run. Sound OK?
Okay well - have a wonderful day everyone!! Keep up the great work and remember that all your hard work will pay off in the long run. :D

Oh- and to answer my own question- my role models are an English teacher that I had in high school and my mother. The English teacher taught me how to evaluate and appreciate my life- she showed me how to be compassionate and caring - she really made a huge impact on how I view life and how people should be treated. We called her Wanda woman and she is the model example of how a teacher should be. My mom I pick because she is the strongest woman I know- She is the glue that keeps our family together and she gives of herself without complaint nor limit. If I am half the woman she is then I am doing well in life. :)

ALright- I am out of here- off work and need to do some shopping and run some errands.

little grasshopper
12-15-2004, 07:28 PM
Hi guys! I'm feeling much more energized today. Two more days of this and then a long weekend :) I can make it!! Today I got really good news. An insurance patient was paid in full. I've been treating her for 3 months without being paid at all...they paid the entire bill today :) :) Yippeeeeee!!!!!

Okay, Stormy - I agree, don't sweat the cookies. If you competely deprive yourself now, it's more likely you'll eat your way through January!! You have to have SOME fun, right :) I think you did a great job :) I've already calculated how many extra chocolates will fit into my new big stocking :( should probably figure something else out before the big day huh :) How are you spending your break from school...aside from all the baking :)

Crime Girl - Glad you're enjoy your school break too! They're so precious aren't they. I look back now and wonder how in the heck I did all that. Especially late at night when I'm tired and ready for bed and I think "man, I use to be in SCHOOL this time of night!" You're doing great! Keep it up!!!

Redballoon - different is exotic...sorry, you're it :) Unless anyone is interested in the excitement of life in NC....see doesn't work, does it :) Did you always love to travel?? I would travel for a living if it didn't like home stability so much. I've fallen in love with a piece of land and I like being here to watch it change every season...watch the trees grow and the birds feed at the feeders. (I'm sounding like dork to me right now, just so you know....) anyway, I've been all over this land mass but never left it. Some day soon :) How is your program working today??

Michie - how are you doing?? I hope you're enjoying your weekend - doing something completely for you :) Hang in there and in all the caring for mom and the family, don't forget to care for yourself too!

Well I'll post my favorite recipe next......talk to everyone soon...

little grasshopper
12-15-2004, 07:35 PM
This is a quick recipe that I use to use to get rid of leftover meats or beans :) I have made it many times without meat and it's just as yummy! Promise (even to the guys that swore they wouldn't like chili without meat.

what ever cooked meat you have....I've used chicken, turkey, ground beef, steak, and roast...
2 cans black beans drained (you can also use cooked bagged beans)
2 cans dark red kidney beans drained
2 cans chili beans
1 can beef or veggie broth
1 small jar of picante sauce (I use medium)
I can chopped tomatoes
I bag of Carrol Shelby's chili mix (the one in the brown bag).

put it all in a big pot and cook on a med/low heat. It's ready after about 20 minutes and reheats REALLY well :) You can also put it in a crockpot on low and leave for work if you want..

stormy1
12-15-2004, 09:54 PM
Crock pot it!

3 tablespoons olive oil
chicken breasts
1 small onions
2 tsp rosemary
1/2 cup cooking wine
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp redpepper flakes
1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes (I used diced)

Cook on low in the crock pot while you are at work.

Can serve on spaghetti squash (great sub for pasta)

stormy1
12-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Little GH thanks for the encouragement. I ate another cookie today b/c I had to make two batches for a party Thursday night. So it seems like all my time off of school has been spent baking, going to parties and working! I am glad that you are having a good day.

Crime girl
12-16-2004, 04:33 PM
What happened- everyone is so quiet today. Today is "have I been exercising "day..speak up everyone- how have you been doing?? :?:

As for me- I am doing OK with eating and lousy at exercise so I need to get my butt in gear. I have more time off because I dont have school and it is making me lazy. :D

Thanks to those that gave recipes- I am going to try them. ;) I will let you know how they turn out. It is still cold here in Florida so I am going to really like the chili I know.

Okay well- just wanted to jump on and say hi and see if I can get anyone back on the board. I miss talking- :( I will try to get on more as well.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!!

redballoon
12-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Crime girl -- I'm here, wondering where everyone is too. Guess people tend to pop in, write and then go off for a while. Keep the faith and keep writing.

I've been doing very well. Surprising myself. Have some resolve at last. But, I've been away from the office, which I hate, and that always makes it easier. Just going in to that place I see as self-abuse and then I tend to continue that abuse by eating poorly. You see, the place is abusive but I don't know how to get away. I need the money. I don't have enough income coming in from other sources to break away yet. But that is my goal. I really, really want to break away from the office. They abuse me, I further the abuse, because, like I said, going in to the office I see already as abusing myself. It's hard to allow abuse in one way while not allowing it in another. This is my dilemma. Perhaps if I could look at the situation as not abuse if I am aware of it, allow it to roll of me like water off a duck's back. . .

But the abuse is insane. It comes largely through not caring and incompetence, neglect and then slapdash attempts to fix the problems they have brought about. The paper is on the verge of going under (no wonder!) and we, the workers, are naturally the victims. I really must maintain some sort of tie to the outside while I am there. It is horrible.

But, yes, perhaps these past few days will have steeled me for this. In fact, I realize that I now do see things differently. I was not ready to leave before as much as I am now. Perhaps I should see this extreme aversion to the place as a gift.

Crime girl, hang in there. Keep talking to us. What I do in those lazy times is just get to the gym and say I'll do a tiny bit. Sometimes I really only do a tiny bit. Other times I push myself to do more or actually want to do more once I'm there. I used to think well, I can do as much or more at home but realized I just wasn't doing it so I get to the gym for principle's sake as well. If you want to be lazy, remember you can still be lazy at the gym. Knowing you've allowed yourself this can help free yourself up to do something.

Ok, gotta go. :wave:

stormy1
12-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Red balloon, I am sorry about your job. I hope things start going a little better for you. I was really encouraged that you were feeling pretty good the other day. Keep your chin up! Whenever you start feeling down think of riding your horse. How did you end up overseas?

Crime girl, where is everyone? How are you doing????

Okay working out....Since it is the holidays and school is not in I have been doing a little bit more. I have been doing cardio and weights every day instead of alternating days. I workout in the morning and in the evening. When I am working and going to school I only work out in the AM and I alternate days of cardio and weights.

I ordered two new exercise videos which should be in next week. I am excited! One is a cardio boot camp and the other one is Tamee Lee's "I want that body" video. I will add those to my workout. I like a lot of variety so I do not get bored.

redballoon
12-16-2004, 06:02 PM
stormy -- thanks for writing. And please stay encouraged about me for you! I AM feeling better. I'm learning to ride the bull (no taking it by the horns, that's a sure way to kill yourself!) I will try to remember that I have options many people don't. Thinking of my horse is very iffy. It has, in fact, served to probably keep me in this sorry job because I was thinking I just HAD to pay the bills and this was a way of doing it. But I wasn't looking at other ways of paying the bills and that is something I must do. I am sick of the treatment I am getting.

Right now, I have two hours before I have to leave for work. I have finished transcribing the tape of a talk I had in Hong Kong with the stable guys for one of the horses and I realized, as I had feared, that I don't have much material to work with. But I'm going to come up with something because this story is for an outside place (not the newspaper) and I need to have these connections now more than ever. Being in the midst of things, I forget that people on the outside may still find something interesting in what to me is old hat. I say I got nothing but it is something and I should just embellish it and away we go! Talking to people here helps see me and my situation differently, from your eyes and that is important because when anyone writes they're usually writing for people on the outside and if you lose sight of how they're seeing things, you lose sight of your readers, which for a writer, especially in newspapers, Web sites or magazines, spells death or being relegated to hack publications or -- yourownname.com!

And stormy, you're doing great with your exercising. Twice a day!? Wow! :cp: Very impressive. New videos are always fun. Hope you like these. I need to make room in my tiny place before I can hop around without breaking the backs of a couple cats!

Ok, on with the story!!

little grasshopper
12-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Hi guys! sorry I've been mia. It's been good but hectic week! I have gotten one lunch hour all week and I've worked late every day - but the good news is that nothing is really falling behind - I'm managing to keep it all caught up and I'm eating really well. I realized today that it's Thursday and I haven't cheated all week :)

Redballoon - I'm so sorry your job sucks! I can understand how frustrating it is. About 6 months before I turned 30 I was killing myself working corporate management. Had no life, no real friends that depended on me, and never saw my family. Then one of my friends had a kind of mid life crisis about turning 30. He had this long list of things he HAD to do before he turned 30. Bought a count down clock and everything. Most of it was positive stuff but he was so over the top it drove us all crazy!! Every email signature was the # of days til he was 30 years old.....it went on and on. Then he started talking about applying for his dream job. He never tried, and he regretted it already. He couldn't face having this birthday without knowing he at least tried. That got me thinking. I hated my job. I cried 2-3 times a week!! That's when I decided I didn't want to turn 30 without knowing I'd made the effort to go back to school and do massage. That's how it happened for me. I was scared too death!! I worked 3 part time jobs while I was in school. Got rid of the company car and bought an OLD car that ran well and got rid of as many bills as I didn't need and then just suffered through. I'm soooo glad it did it now!! When the time is right, you'll know. Until then just know that all things are temporary!!! You can handle anything for a while and this is temporary!!

Stormy - way to go on the exercising!!! I bet your'e feeling stronger and better all the time!! Good for you! How did all the baking go? I was looking through recipes for banana nutt bread today at work. I want a treat of some kind for the holidays. Something that isn't totally over the top but still special to me. I got caught :) The health food, you can't have anything doctors both caught me! They were very kind about it and I assured them it wasn't for me :) :) I've been asking people at work for recipes they've pulled together too - mostly because the diets are so limitting, anythig new is..well...new. No luck. Seems like everyone else is just eating the same meal night after night - I'd go crazy!

Crime Girl - sorry. I've been away too long. I promise I'll be better after tomorrow. Exercise...what exercise. I havent' done any this week other than stretching. I'm really sore and tired though......A lot of work this week. Won't help me lose weight any though. I will be better next week. I'm even calling a gym closer to my house to see if I want to join their gym. I am giving up my current membership because I never ever go to where the darn thing is. it's right by my old house but in the middle of HORRIBLE traffic and I hate going there. Plus it's a cheap, dirty gym anyway. Works, but I never go so it's waisted money.

Well I'd better go. I am hoping to finish christmas shopping tonight. My mom finally told me something she'd really like. An Inrico Iglasious CD I have no idea how to spell it or why in the heck my mother wants it but she gets what she wants! She is learning spanish so that might be why. She's surprising and funny sometimes! See everyone later tonight. mrm

redballoon
12-16-2004, 07:12 PM
little grasshopper -- That's Enrique Iglesias. Just found it on the Net. Pretty cute but he's got to learn to keep his mouth closed! His mouth is open in every photo (except for the one where you can't see his mouth). Of course, that may be the photographer telling him to give us that "sexy look!" :lol: Here's a Web site with music clips. http://enrique.launch.yahoo.com/default.asp

Oh, look, here's one with his mouth closed. Yum!
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/2263953/a/Escape.htm

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll write more later!

little grasshopper
12-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Ah ha!! Now I see why she likes him :) He's the guy that sings that song " I could be your hero baby......" He did a commercial here where he was singing to this person in the crowd with his sexy face...and when the camera pans to the person in the crowd it's a really uncomfortable looking guy...holding a bag of dorritos. Great commercial!

I have been in pain all day long. I heated both heat packs when I got home and have been laying around since. I do feel better but I'm serious need of some work! I think it's because I switched tables and forgot that my table is much wider - I was reaching way too far for the first two days and messed my body up then worked 2 more on top of it without getting things smoothed out. I have to be pretty careful with my muscles. I do great mostly but when there is a problem is can really get out of hand on me. I'm getting close now. Glad tomorrow is Friday and I can take the heat packs to work and relax a little tomorrow. Only have to do one job and have no clients so that it's a somewhat paid break.

I'm rambling. Sorry - I'm going to go get back on the heat. Can't think straight right now. See you soon! Be strong :)

Crime girl
12-16-2004, 08:20 PM
I am so glad that we have started to talk again- the funny thing is when I said that I then went and ran errands so I wasn't here to talk too. I am at home now and looks like I need to catch up! :D

red balloon- I feel your pain. I was working in retail management from 1992-1996 and it was horrible. I hated going to work and I felt that I would never again do anything that I enjoyed for a living. I had a kind of breakdown one week and went to the local community college and applied for college. Didn't know what I wanted to do - just knew crying everyday because I hated my job sucked. My income went down because I was in school and unable to hold a job that paid more but it was so worth it. I worked my way through and found a passion. I am now getting ready to graduate and I can't wait to get out there and work. I think the key to having a successful career is enjoying what you do. I enjoyed school so much I didn't mind that I had to do without some of the things I had grown use to. I really never thought I would graduate when I enrolled that day but taking the first step made the next one easier and things worked themselves out. It will get better but you have got to find a place you can work that doesn't make you cry. The rest- I swear to you- will work itself out. I am a strong believer that when God closes a door he opens a window. Good luck and keep typing!! ;)

stormy- YOU GO GIRL!! You are the workout champ!! :strong: :cb: :cp: :bravo:
I am so proud of you - you are really making a commitment to making this work for you. It is inspiring! I swear I am going to the gym tomorrow no ifs, ands, or buts! If you have any advice for a workout video for me I would love to hear it. Don't know what to pick. :?:

little grasshopper- Nothing wrong with doing a little something for yourself as long as you keep it under control. Don't forget you can do a lot of things for yourself that don't involve food at all. You have done so well this week! :cp:
Keep up the great work and get that shopping done- walking around the mall is great exercise. :D
Okay-well I am still reading for next semester and trying to not run down to the nearest grocery store for pie or cake. I have such a sweet tooth- I crave sugar. Sometimes I think I could eat it straight out of the bag.
Also-my parents are coming next week for the 23rd and 24th so that stresses me out a little. My dad has lost about 120 pounds in the last 2 years and constantly lectures and suggests ways I can do the same. I know he means well but he makes me feel like a big fat pig when he constantly berates me about my weight. Not sure how to fight the panic attacks- maybe the gym will help. Maybe I will go deaf for the 2 days they are here.

Okay- well ladies- have a wonderful evening. I will hop on later I am sure.
Tomorrow- let's answer the question:
What invention do you wish someone would create??
I will give you mine to start- I wish someone would invent a paintball gun to attach to my car so I can use it for cars that get in front of me and stop- it would tag the car with some obnixious paint color thus making me feel better.
:lol:

stormy1
12-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Red balloon-Oh yeah baby he is a hottie!

Little gh, Eating for Life by Bill Phillips is a really good book for recipes to incorporate into your diet. Also, check out your local library.

little grasshopper
12-16-2004, 08:52 PM
Crime girl - I'm not sure I can top that invention. If you get someone to make it, put me on the list to order!! The big traffice problem here is people that pull all the way into oncoming traffic THINKING they're in a turn lane and then just sit there.....I swear it happens all the time!

Stormy - thanks, I'll check out the book. Someone today suggested a guide to recipes for those with severe allergies. That's the problem with 99% of the recipes I see. I can't eat most of what's in them. I'm getting there though. Hopefully by february I'll be able to eat a grain other than brown rice. :) Not that I don't like it :) :) I can't use onions, garlic or anything at all that is spicy. (even mint is out). I'm doing okay though. The meatball thing helped a lot :) Also I'm going to see if I can have sweet potatoes. I hear a lot of people with sensitivities close to mine can have them, so I'm going to check. There is also a new magazine called living without that is all about gluten free cooking. I think I'm going to subscribe to it. After all this is somewhat my diet for life now. Some things I'll get back but some things I'll be sensitive to for life. Might as well learn to make the very best of it :)

uh oh gotta get the dogs. bye

little grasshopper
12-16-2004, 09:21 PM
okay I need help. I'm really in pain now and while I can handle that I just realized what i do when I'm in pain. I eat. I eat whatever makes me feel better right that minute. Kind of a pitty party of sorts. "it only fair that if I have to hurt I get to eat something yummy to balance it out..." not good logic. I've been here so I know what's going on but I never realized what I do food wise. I'm struggling to find something to keep my spirits high....food can't be that great a thing......I refuse to give in, but I also refuse to let this get me down, so instead I'm getting pissed off.

It's funny, stormy I bet you see this all the time....I deal with people that fight chronic pain everyday and I forget how frustrating a thing it is until I get hit with a round of it. I've just done too much this week. Thankfully tomorrow is an easy day. I need an easy day.

I need to keep reminding myself that junk food will not cure pain. never has, never will. but ug, does it ever suck to not be able to grab the worst thing in site and stuff it in my mouth!!!

stormy1
12-16-2004, 09:28 PM
Little GH, try these sites:

http://allergies.about.com/od/recipesg/

http://www.glutenfreemall.com/recipes.html

stormy1
12-16-2004, 09:30 PM
How about this for an invention:
A pill with NO side effects that allows you to eat whatever in the heck you want without gaining weight, raising cholosterol, etc.

Crime girl
12-16-2004, 11:20 PM
Hello- I am back and I have been so bad tonight. What the heck is wrong with me??? I ate a huge brownie tonight and I hate myself. I can not seem to get through one blasted week and eat right. :o
Little grasshopper- I am sorry you are in pain- you are right though-food will not make it better. Sometimes (the times I am successful) I try to mentally convince myself that a food I want will cause me pain. For example- I can't drink orange juice because of the level of acid in it. I have now convinced myself that regular coke will have the same effect as OJ. I know it sounds strange but sometimes I want foods because I can imagine how good they will be- like the brownie tonight will make me feel better for the moment and take away my stress. I convince myself that I am under stress therefore I deserve the brownie. Regular coke is a treat for me so now when I think "I deserve a coke" my brain kicks on and says-Coke will make you feel bad like OJ and it is not so desirable anymore. I have even read a book titled Germs that talks about all the nasty things that get through to our food supply when I get on food binges. (I think I will get that out tomorrow). Anything to make food less desirable. ;)

stormy- I am all about your pill- you need to get to work on that right away. I will be your first customer. I would be so happy if I didn't have to think about food 24/7 and how I can lose this blasted weight.

Okay - well I am going-I will type more tomorrow night- I have to work all day and I doubt I will be able to get on until after 6 so
Have a wonderful night, morning, and afternoon everybody!
Tomorrow is fun and support day so if you have a funny story or joke feel free to share and keep the inventions coming.
:lol:

stormy1
12-17-2004, 01:08 PM
I hope everyone has a great weekend and does not give in to all of the food temptations around us. This is so hard especially this time of year but we can do it!

redballoon
12-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Hey all. Saturday morning here. Got to get to work. Just wanted to say that I was colossal yesterday! Hungry and with a headache all day from the caffeine withdrawal I triumphed! The store at lunch, always great for buying a sweet thing or two. I bought fresh pineapple and Italian sparkling water! After work, the import supermarket, always great for some delicious bagels. I picked up the bag, thought I'd "treat" myself. Thought again, this is simple white flour. Put it back! Mega accolades to me!!

Workout was a washout. But that wasn't my fault. I had my stuff to go to the gym after work but a talk with the boss turned into a two-hour talk. Hmm. When I got home I thought, damn, I've just been told the work I thought I was going to have is no longer. But in the end, it was a lot better than I'd expected. I still have work. I'm still free (I'm resisting full time hours because then I can't ride my horse and if I can't ride my horse there's no reason to work my friggin' A off! She's where all the dough goes! )

So, I suffered the headache all night long, kept waking up because of it but my one cat nestled in the crook of my arm made me feel better. Warm, soft, kitties, don't you love 'em!? So, people, I'm still here. I did OK yesterday. Work was not a shock because I'd imagined much worse. But my dear boss, being the timid man that he is would never have talked to me if I hadn't gone up to him and asked to talk. Then he comes out with everything. He went away saying how good he felt and thanking me for listening to "his problems." I said, heh, "your problems are mine, we're all in this together" in a very kind way. But boy, is that ever an understatement! :lol: But I've always, for over 15 years had a soft spot for the guy and now that he's managing editor things got a bit hairy. Anyhow, he told me he's stepping down in February, that he can't take the way upper management is using him. I don't know, could be a sob story but not hard to believe knowing the way the place works, or rather, doesn't work. I had my say, as I tend to do!, and so things are cool. Whistling the blues. . . :dancer:

Thanks for all your support. Some of you have been through really rough times with work. I'm glad you got through it. Your stories are inspiring.

little grasshopper -- glad to hear that you're keeping caught up and eating well. Fantastic that you haven't cheated! :bravo: I loved your story about the guy with the 30 phobia. What a laugh. 30 is light years behind me. I don't fear any age. I just hope I continue to mellow like the proverbial wine. Anyhow, that you took his phobia and used to reflect on your own situation shows true depth. I'm impressed! But, what is this pain you're in?! This is very concerning. Is it allergies, is it something else? Have you tried to find out what is causing it? I hope you find out. People shouldn't be in pain. If I am it's usually from food. Over the years I have learned to connect something I've eaten with a pain, but they're usually headaches. I've heard how body pains can come from other allergies though, especially dairy. I hope you look into this. Pain is a signal something is wrong. Please try to find out the cause.

crime girl -- thanks for your story too. You showed a lot of courage going back to school and sticking it out. I like your God/close door/open window thought. I believe we are all here to develop, to take and hopefully learn lessons that will cause us to develop. So, the hard times are these opportunities and though I'm no martyr and not open to get down on my knees in thanks for them :lol: I have, with the years, (and being bonked repeatedly over the head with many of my lessons!) learned that these hard times are meant to humble us enough to wake up and GET IT!!

Heh, don't eat the sugar! Eating out of the bag. Believe it or not I actually did that when I was in my early 20s. Talk about chemical imbalance. I was hitting the booze in a mega way too. Lucky I lived to talk about it . . . not that anyone wants to hear. . . :rofl:

Wow, an invention. . . don't know. . .will have to think about that. Get back to you on that. . .

stormy -- how are you doing? :sunny: And yes, I want an Enrique in my life, just to look at, oh, . . . right, who am I trying to kid!?!?!? .... I want an Enrique in my life to DO with as I please, and to be DONE with as I please with big emphasis on the "I's" !!!!!!!!!! :spin:

stormy1
12-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Red balloon you are bad :devil: Use Enrique as motivation :lol:

Congrats on resisting the bagel. I love bagels especially sun dried tomato bagels. I have not had one in about three years. :mad:

I have had a headache today also. It is kind of weird b/c I do not get headaches often. It has been a good day though. I found out that I will be an aunt again! My brother in Italy will be having a boy. I have not seen him in about 12 years. I hope to get to go to Italy as soon as I am finished with school.

redballoon
12-17-2004, 06:19 PM
stormy -- they don't get much worse than me! Thank God (for the guys) I don't have the body of a temptress as well. Keeps me in check. . .

Congrats on the coming aunthood (word? noooo...) Where in Italy is your brother? I've just been writing to a friend there. She lives in a tiny village called Peschici on the spur of the boot over on the Adriatic. I used to go down there when I lived in Munich in the early '80s. She's going through an ugly divorce (hubby shacked up with someone and then dumped his wife (my friend) and his two kids) So, my friend is in a state. Wanted to come here with her daughter but I have no room and no money so advised her not to. She's off to London for the holidays. Hope she can hang with friends over the worst days . . . Yeah, you should go there. Italy's cool. I love the emotion, the drama over, say, well, nothing much at all! :lol: Of course, that's the south, the north is totally different. Would you believe curly blond-haired, blue-eyed Italians. Shows you how far off the stereotypes are or perhaps just that most Americans of Italian descent came from the south. Well, ciao for now! :wave:

oh yeah, crime girl, I think you asked where I was from originally. Pittsburgh, Pa. Spent the formative (like Wonder Bread) years and all there, up to 18ish, and by that time I was really formed! in all the wrong directions! :rofl:

little grasshopper
12-17-2004, 06:25 PM
Hi guys! Hope everyone is doing well. Crime girl - don't work too hard!

I'm sorry - I'm just not a creative mind. The only invention I've ever thought up was a retractable hotdog roasting stick with a protective tip on the end...turns out - they're already made. :(

Stormy - thanks for the websites. I didn't look at them last night but I promise I will this weekend. I love to cook and use to be very good at it but I am working with a whole new set of ingredients now and not many of them to boot, so the websites will be a big help. thanks again!

Redballoon - Yeah!!!!! You did GREAT today!!!!!!! I'm really really proud of you! Especially facing all of the normal stops and not getting the normal foods...I had to change my stores for a while so I wouldn't even see the bad stuff :) You did a great job today!!!

I'm feeling a bit better today. The doctor looked at me and basically said my first rib is out. But you're right about the food allergies thing. That is exactly why I'm on the diet I'm on. The whole idea behind it is that certain foods allow for the body to become inflamed. Some people's more than others. I have a lot of old injuries - most from the accident I was in and a lot from too many years being aggressive in martial arts, now I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and a degenerative neuromuscular disorder of some sort. I didn't give much credit to the doctor that told me about it and I started seeing the one I work for immediately after, so I never fully researched that doctor's diagnosis. All I know is that most of the time I have a very low pain level, if any at all. Until 3 years ago I spent almost every day in pain - I didn't stop to let things heal or mend though. I'm not really sure I would have mended though because I was eating all the things I'm sensitive too - and you're right - if I get into them I wake up miserable for about 3 days. Now I don't really, unless I over do it. I changed tables Monday and the new one is wider than the old one. I didn't realize this and didn't make a height adjustment until I'd already done way too many massages....add to that I was working both jobs and running myself too death! I ate perfectly all week but I just can't do that much at once and expect to not hear about it. YET! I believe the body can heal itself from a LOT of things if you know how to eat and how to take care of it. I'm getting better every year. Having said all this, don't think I'm some poor pain ridden person. I back pack and am running and all kinds of stuff. I just get reminded every now and then that I have to be careful with my body.

I got adjusted today and all the bones were put back. And I have massage scheduled for either tonight or tomorrow so I'll be in good shape in no time. It's frustrating though to realize you've over done it again. Hopefully one day I'll get better at living life and taking care of myself at the same time! I refuse to not live. :)

Well I'd better go. We are going to try a mexican place tonight for dinner. I'm going to get the biggest piece of meat I can find because that's probably all I can have :) I'm good though. Soooo glad it's the weekend!!!! I'll talk to you all soon!

stormy1
12-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Red balloon, he lives in Milano. He was born there. Before my parents were married my dad was in the military and was engaged to a lady there. When my grandmotherer got sick he came back to the states but her parents would not let her so they broke up. At the time she was pregnant but never told my dad. Well 18 years later my dad got a call from his son. They have a relationship now, which is cool. I am also lucky b/c I have a brother. I know what you mean about the drama. My hubby works with three Italians. It is like a soap opera. When you get them going it's like woa slow down. I am from South Louisiana originally and so I tend to talk fast, but it can not be compared to the Italians . They have a habit of making a big deal out of nothing. My husband is half Italian. Him and his side of the family makes a big deal over everything. I tend to be really laid back but they sometimes get me stressed out.

It sounds like you have lived in some really awesome places!

stormy1
12-17-2004, 06:36 PM
Little gh, have you tried warm water aquatic exercise. It would be so good for you ;) 92+ degrees I have treated tons of people with fibro in the water. Good for you for still doing massage. I have a friend with fibro who does massage and she is the only massage therapist who I will send my patients with fibro to. Have fun eating mexican food :D

redballoon
12-17-2004, 06:41 PM
little grasshopper -- just saw your message and wanted to say hi before I fly out the door. Glad to hear you're not in so much pain. That's right, you do massage, cool! I was interested in doing horse massage. Still would maybe like to. Well, have a good time at the mexican restaurant. being a veghead I'd go for a humongous bean burrito or something but whatever you're into. . .enjoy!

stormy -- wow, what a soap opera like story about your brother. How awful that your father and his girl were broken up. Not hard to believe though. Italian families are ruled with an iron fist it seems at times. I remember the Milano train station. Was on my way up from the south, didn't realize the trains split and instead of heading to Monaco (Munich) like I'd planned I woke up in Milan. The guys on the train platform weren't too friendly even though I said in Italian that I didn't speak any Italian, like duh. . but they pointed me in the right direction and I got back to Munich. Other than Germany and here I've only lived in India, out in the sticks, nothing but a well for water, now that was a trip, was heading back there when I got sidetracked to Japan. Yeah, whatever, such is life. . . gotta run. Take care all!!!

little grasshopper
12-17-2004, 09:23 PM
wow Redballoon - I was planning to live in Raleigh NC but ended up in Wake Forest, but there's a 10 mile difference....you were planning for INDIA and ended up in JAPAN???? Who does your planning :) :) just kidding! We'll have to live through you a bit. :) I made it through the mexican food just fine. I ate a big chicken breast with avocado and a salad with lettuce and cucumbers and avocado and I took my own rice cheese. Got some funny looks but it's worth it to me. When the doc treated me nothing, and I mean NOTHING in me tested positive for an allergic reaction to foods going on in my body! That means that if I have gotten into something I did a good job processing it out, or I'm getting better and am not as sensitive anymore. (I'm hoping for the latter!) For the first time ever he had no doubt that I wasn't cheating. It made me feel really good :) :)

Stormy - you know, I did a lot of water therapy after my wreck and it did help a lot then. I hadn't thought about it now. I had a TON of physical therapy afterwards - so much that I cried the day I knew I wasn't going back. I'd been with the same people for so long. I am bugging BF for a hot tub when we build our house :) :) I just have a little bathtub but I take lots of detox baths. They seem to help a lot and make me believe there is a lot of truth to the whole theory that fibro patients tend to hold more toxins in their systems. Almost everything I do now is centered about detoxing and I feel 100% better - yesterday excluded. Thanks for the advice though, I'll check into it! You're smart to send your patients to someone that's experienced it. It's really easy to overwork a fibro patient. That's a horrible tailspin to put anyone through - especially when you're suppose be making them feel better!

Well, I think I'm going to walk tomorrow. I have to ease back into it. Might ride my bike instead but either way I intend to move ;)

I'm really really tired - I'd better get to bed. I've been waking up 2 hours before the clock and can't get back to sleep. I can sleep in the middle of the day of course. :) We have a huge cold snap coming and I want to do some more insulating before it hits. Anything to help lower the electric bill!! We are doing that tomorrow and maybe, MAYBE snow sunday night or monday. We'll see. See everyone soon!!!!

redballoon
12-17-2004, 09:33 PM
:lol: Oh, grasshopper, I did say "sidetracked." You see, I was already "derailed." :rofl:

Really, I had already been living in India (had gone there on a whim and a suggestion from Bangladeshi friends in Munich), had the idea I'd stay a while and study Bengali (just an excuse but I was fairly conversant in it by then) got the necessary papers for a student visa, but had to go back to the States to apply. Did that, applied, had a ticket as far as Bangkok via Tokyo etc. Planned to buy a cheap ticket in Bangkok to Calcutta. Waited all summer while they processed my visa application in New York. Worked at Wendy's. Got notice back that I needed a ticket OUT of India in order to get a visa. Very annoyed to say the least. Who really wants to stay in India I thought!! Canned the idea. Decided I had no interest in Bangkok or Hong Kong, flew to L.A. sold the rest of my ticket and thought I'd spend a few weeks to have a look around Japan. Got there and have been there ever since more or less. And that's. . . the rest of the story. . .. .

Anyhow, with me, getting an idea in my head, something I WANT usually gets me there or did, especially back when I was young and rash. Now, I keep thinking that I mustn't have a strong enough picture about the body I want because I don't have it yet. And really, I've always loved, absolutely loved the idea of saving up, plunking down the money for a plane ticket just about anywhere that strikes my fancy. Never had much money but I would work and save and spend it on nothing else 'cept for the thing I wanted most and that's why those things often make it look like I'm loaded. But I'm far from it. ;)

Glad to hear you were great at the Mexican place. Are you allowed to bring in your own food to restaurants? Also glad to hear about the no allergic reactions. Sounds like you've been really vigilant. :cp:

Ok, I'm at work now. Gotta go. :wave:

little grasshopper
12-18-2004, 09:11 AM
Good morning!!! I'm feeling much much better now. thanks for the all the support!

Stormy - I'm not sure if I called ahead they'd say no....I never tried. How do you answer the "I have severe allergies to dairy..may I bring my own bit of cheese with me and still eat with my family at your resturant??" :) I just take the cheese and don't worry about it. I haven't tried taking my own steak yet :) :lol:

The scales are being good to me this week. I'm very happy! You know, we don't talk about weight loss during the week and I think it's really good in some ways. I mean we do talk about it, but without the numbers and the addicting stops at the scales, you know. It's nice to not be so caught up in that part of weight loss and be able to discuss the life issues that get in our way more. I'm going today to look at a gym near my house. I'm going to get rid of my old club membership. I've moved and it was a crappy gym anyway. It's in the middle of horrible traffic and I never go there. When I do, half the machines are broken and they only have 1 class now and while it's a great class, it's always PACKED! Time for a new club.

Well drinking my warm lemon juice and getting ready for a fruit salad. Have you guys ever seen the comedian that talks about the diet that he's on.....it's a steak in the morning and the all the water you can drink for the day. All the water you want!!!! :) :) Then the next way you have water and then cry...all the tears your want, you just cry and cry....... Well I can have all the prunes I want!!!!!! :) I can just eat them and eat them :lol: :lol: :lol: If did that I'd feel exactly like that guy!!

Everyone have a great day!!!

stormy1
12-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Little grasshopper, I am so proud of your Mexican dinner. I would have not been able to make such a good food choice. I would have wanted something with a lot of cheese. I love cheese :D

Red balloon, I love hearing your stories :p I think that it is b/c I love to travel so much. However, I was married at 19 and we are both so goal oriented that we have spent most of our time working and going to school. You are getting to do what so many people would love to do but you are working hard for it. As my mom always says "if you work hard for something you will appreciate more than if it was given to you" :^: We try to get out of the country one to two times a year to scuba dive.

Where is everyone? Where is our fearless leader crimegirl?

Well tonight I have another Christmas party. It is dinner and dancing at the Wildhorse Saloon. I do not know how to line dance. It would probably be a funny sight :lol: We moved to Nashville in August so I am not up to par yet with country music and such. Hopefully there will be some healthy food choices.

I know that tommorrow is weigh in day. I have been super good this week except for the cookie incident. I kind of cheated and weighed myself this morning. No weight loss this week :mad: It is my time of the month right now so maybe that is the problem. Scales are so discouraging that is why I am glad that we set Sunday as our weigh in day. I know that muscle weighs more than fat....go by the way your clothes fit...yadayadayada...but is would be nice if the scale moved. It is a psychological thing!

little grasshopper
12-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Stormy - I Agree with you about the scales! they can be so meanspirited at times. I didn't lose for a week and then suddenly, after TOM finally arrived, I dropped 4 poounds in two days. So hang in there and know it's coming. Don't get discouraged!!! Just tuck them away and know you've been good, so your time is coming!! Good luck at the Christmas party tonight. And good luck finding healthy food too! It's hard sometimes...at ours all I saw was the crappy/yummy stuff so I suffered through, then at the end of the night I saw a huge tray of veggies everyone had been standing around to talk (it was by the bar) and I never noticed it. It was also mostly untouched. I could have pigged out by then!!! But they were cleaning up so I waited til I got home and had a salad then. Man being good sucks sometimes, but it's worth it!!! And all that exercise is boosting your metabolism too, so you'll be able to eat more and get away with a little more than without it!! Good for you.

Stormy - I love to travel too!! I had a hard time over Thanksgiving because I use to have a tradition of meeting a group of friends in Texas and then heading to Mexico for a week of backpacking. It was always so much fun and SOOO different than anything here. I loved it! Most of my travel is in the US now though.

OH - I'm planning a trip to see my family and was concerned because they wouldn't know a healthy food if it tackled them! I called my sister yesterday to kind of warn her that I'm eating a lot differntly now, and wouldn't you know it - she tells me she's eating all organic based on an allergy test she had done to help with some issues she's having. We're so much alike it's freaky!! Always shocks us both how we stumble into the same kinds of things without each other knowing. Anyway, I'm going in late January and I'm really looking forward to it. Also found our she's lost 20 pounds since I last saw her! MORE reasons to lose some weight - I don't want to the be the "chubby sister." :)

Crime girl
12-18-2004, 11:47 AM
Hi everyone!
I am sick with the flu so I wont be on much- sorry.
I am trying to read along but I feel like crap so I am sleeping on and off all day...
anyway- hope everyone is good! Keep talking.

little grasshopper
12-18-2004, 01:18 PM
Poor thing!! Take care of yourself! Hope everyone is feeling back to normal soon!! Rest and get well.

stormy1
12-18-2004, 02:19 PM
Crimegirl, I am so sorry that you are not feeling well. :(
Take care of yourself. This is an easy time of year to get sick b/c of the weather changes, the stress of the holidays, etc

Crimegirl I believe it was you who asked me about exercise videos. This site
http://www.collagevideo.com/ allows you to enter in your info such as beginner, advanced, etc and what you are looking for (low impact, toning,etc.). It then gives you a list of all videos out there. The cool thing about it is that you can read customer reviews on each video. This helps out a lot.

Exercise has never been a problem for me. I have always loved it. I started doing aerobics in 5th grade :lol: My problem is eating. Emotional eating...portion control etc :mad: If I would not exercise I would have a lot more than 40 pounds to lose :^:

Last night my hubby and I were talking about health. Neither one of us has great genes. Diabetes and heart disease run on both sides of the family and cancer plus diabetes and heart disease on my side. I can either keep rolling with the punches and choosing to make the wrong eating decisions and die or feel like I am dying at a relatively young age or I can choose to live and live healthy.

redballoon
12-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Good morning everybody. Glad to see there was some action here. It gets awful lonely on the weekends for me because of the time difference and well, just in general. By the way, I think someone was asking and I forgot to answer, the time difference here is 14 hours ahead of U.S. East Coast. So, to make it easy to figure, just add 2 hours and change the a.m. to p.m. or vice versa and it's always ahead, the next day because of the date line out there in the Pacific somewhere. So, right now it's 7 a.m. Sunday, which means 5 p.m. Saturday afternoon on the East Coast. Ok?

I'm not doing too well. Foodwise, I've been great but I'm starting to feel the depression, the what the heck, no one cares, just go and do what I've always done, eat the food I want, do the things I want even if they make me fat and look a lot worse than I could look. I don't know. I just need some support, someone who cares besides me and I don't have that. I mean, do you realize how most people couldn't care one iota what you look like, and, in fact, would rather you looked worse than they did so they can look better in comparison? Sometimes, it just all seems like my meaningless little plan to get looking good and then. . . for what? Oh, bad thought, I know. I have to think of things that will make me feel good because right now, though I've been so good with eating I still have the crap of work to deal with. Last night I had to give up a great night out with a band I know because one) I had work to do and didn't want to have any hangover or have extra calories and two) I was so tired from getting off this caffeine and three) I was just feeling so down about work and how, though I still have some work, I've been ousted from what I had looked forward to doing, and yet, not having anything else to do I had to just kind of smile and take it, making my boss very happy but only because he got what he wanted without a lot of confrontation, which he hates.

Someone give me some help, pleeeez! I've got a ton of work ahead of me today and all I really wanted to do was sit back and try to ride out this lethargy and headaches caused from the caffeine withdrawal. I am so tempted to reach for a quick fix.

Crimegirl -- I hope you're feeling better. Flu is the pits. I hope you have the time to relax and recuperate and won't feel too down about things.

stormy -- we are the same with eating. I'm not adverse to exercise at all but have a hard time not trying to fill the holes, round the edges or temper the highs of emotion with food. I have often thought that I would be much, much heavier if I didn't exercise. The problem is, my body is also very sensitive, so if I do eat things that I want that make me feel happy or something like sweets, it snowballs and I can't stop at just a little. Eating clean is boring and doesn't give me the druglike effect. I guess I'm like some addict or something because of the very real effects of food on brain chemistry etc.

little grasshopper -- your encouragement to stormy was nice to read. And it does suck eating clean, doesn't it. Too bad you didn't find that veggie platter earlier at your party but major kudos to you for getting through it with flying colors anyhow!! :cp:

I want to travel more in the States sometime. I never got to see all that much of it although we did do a lot of travel when I was kid, summer vacations and such and in the meantime I've been more places visiting friends (all who I got to know while in Tokyo!) I also did a trip for work back in '89 to "Outlaw Country" that was cool. Because I was digging up a story I had to go into shops, bars, whatever and talk to people to get my story. That was neat and I would never have done it if I hadn't been kind of forced to. I had a story to get or else. . .

Good to hear your sister is eating healthy too these days. It's the worst to be on vacation or visiting and find nothing but junk (delectable, scrumptious junk!). Because it's a special time it feels like you automatically have license to pig out.

Thanks too, for realizing that my life comes at a horribly high price. I always hear people say I'm "getting to do things" but nothing comes for free and I sacrifice so many things others have. Everyone has a choice. The life of today is the result of our choices of yesterday, everyone. Some are harder, some involve others and thus are harder to change once they've been made. Perhaps, when I get down, I should think of people such as women in certain countries who will be tortured or killed for trying to make a choice. Still, it's very hard dealing with the jealousy of others, because they don't look past the results of my choices or try to understand what lies behind the results. If it was mere jealousy I could deal with it, but that jealousy is often linked to conniving and deceptive activities that really hurt me in much more than emotional ways. Ah, such is life. Such are people. Gotta focus on one's self and not do the same. I often think, "There but for the grace of God, go I." And I don't mean that in a fatalistic way, such as that I have no hand in it, and it's fate's choice or God's choice. I mean, that for some reason, a combination of my own choices and the circumstances that allowed me to make them, I am not in the same situation as others who I'd rather not be in their situation.

So, tell me, what kind of cheese do you take with you to restaurants? Is it soy cheese or something else.

Good luck on finding a new gym. That old one sounds horrible. I go to a great Gold's here and it can be a great socializing spot as well.

Ok, must go. Hope to hear from you soon. :wave:

stormy1
12-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Red balloon, you are doing so good. Keep it up! I know it has to be hard but you will pull through. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Little Grasshopper, you will look great by your trip!

Ok, I have to start getting ready for this party!

little grasshopper
12-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Redballoon - I think I've decided what you're going through is completely normal. We've all gone through it at one point or another and will probably go through it again. Maybe it's boredom, maybe fear that we won't succeed, maybe it's just withdrawal, or maybe it's mourning what can't be anymore. My greatest wish, as selfish as it is, would be to be able to eat what ever I wanted with no negative side effects. It helps me sometimes (SOMETIMES) to think of everything I eat as a chemical. Basically that's what it is in the end...then I think of the bad things as the really scary chemicals....kind of like you do. I'm trying my best to make my home, car and office as non toxic as possible. That makes it a little easier to leave the bad foods alone - I wonder what they will do to my poor body when I eat them. I have to say though, today has been really really hard for me too. I think there was too much time at home. No bad food here but a lot of food. You are doing a great job. Don't forget an important thing - rewards!!! there have to be rewards! Non food related, if possible. I set a reward that when I hit 15 pounds I'm going to get a facial. I use to get them all the time before I became a starving college student :) When I hit my goal weight I'm going to buy REALLY great jeans!! I've always wanted a pair. And if I can keep it off - I'm going to use my travel fund and take Greg to Yosemite National park, a bit sooner than we'd planned. I'm dieing to go back and he's never been. Not that you can't live unless you're thin and perfect but I work better with goals and I'm like you guys in that I can do a little....it's all or nothing!

I can eat rice cheese. Luckily they make several kinds. I'm going to be tested for goat cheese and yogurt and stuff. Dairy here is so processed that most people are allergic to it and don't realize it. People from other countries are rarely ever allergic to dairy - not here. I'm hoping if I try goat milk or raw cow's milk I'll be okay. We'll see. I don't miss the milk, I miss yogurt and cheese and sourcream.

So in case that wasn't supportive enough....You really ARE doing a great job. You have a lot of stress on your table and you seem to be handling it well. You just have to get through it one baby step at a time. And don't forget you're still in caffeine withdrawal - that can kick butt, but it usually only lasts for 3-4 days. Hang in there, it's worth it!!!! You're worth every bit of it!!!

I'll check back in later. I hope you're having a good Sunday through it all.

redballoon
12-19-2004, 02:37 AM
little grasshopper Redballoon -

stormy, little grasshopper -- thanks so much for your encouragement and support. I felt OK after riding and coming home. Ate a big sweet potato and am about to sit down to some work. The main work is still hanging over my head. Ugh. It's some horrible translation, such publicity stuff for some big fancy, expensive club here, the likes of which I'll never probably see unless it's just as a press person. Oh well, translation means money. The other is simple proofreading. Horrible manuscript though. I can't believe some of the drivel that is published as books. But worst of all, I know there's a letter from the tax office that's to arrive and I'm dreading what this is going to mean. . . I know it's nothing good. Oh well, carry on. You know, I wish life was easy, that it was just about eating good food and exercising. But it's everything but, isn't it? I mean, that's where the problems come in. I really want coffee. I know the caffeine would knock out this depression and negativity, give me that druggie high. Oh God, what an addict.

Yeah, grasshopper, "mourning what can't be anymore" that's an interesting thought. Part of this is that I think. The thing with work, the drastic change in plans. Even though today I wrote down all the reasons it wouldn't have been a good situation to have gotten that project and contract I still was looking forward to the good things about it, a neat desk of my own, being able to work alone on a project that I determine much of from beginning to end. Coming in only for the time needed to do it, no punch clock, no hours. Oh well. Let's just put the nose down to work. I may have some decaf.

I'm cooking up hardboiled eggs and am determined to use up the vegetables I bought the other day for a veg curry. They're outside keeping cool now.

You know, you were talking about the scale. I've decided it's just too much of a blow when I don't see the numbers fall so I'm simply not going to get on it. I know how I look. I know if there's been progress and in which direction. Even measurements I think are too painful. Sooo, I'm going to get a pair of pants and report on the progress there. It'll be funny to hear I'm sure because it'll say stuff like, rolls of fat hanging over waist, top button is 3 inches apart, absolutely NO way I can get them up past my knees. Ah yes, and likely these were pants I used to wear.

Grasshopper, I like your idea of rewards but I will have to think of something for those rewards along the way. With clothes I tend to think I have to have some fabulous looking thing that I don't want unless I look fabulous in my birthday suit. But I'm sure there are other clothes that I can still buy now and still wear later, a coat or something, underwear whatever. And then there must be other rewards too. OK, I will think on those.

Rice cheese? Never heard of that. Hmm. Wonder what it is. Will look it up. If American cheeses are so processed why not just buy some imported stuff? Would that help? I love cheese. Have to be careful I guess.

In addition to my sweet potato I was good in that walking back from the stable I had an apple! I had stick cheese and cashews too which is fatty but other than my usual oatmeal/raisin/wheat germ/soy milk breakfast I'd say that was pretty good. Hurrah for me!

Thanks guys for your help. I checked my email from my cell phone and could only read the first message, stormy's, but it made me feel a lot better.

Good things that happened today -- I used to keep a notebook of these just so I wouldn't forget them and moreso, because they're the things you immediately forget when something "bad" happens.

1. I had a good ride today, was actually praised by my teacher and that is extremely rare!
2. I helped an old man figure out how to use the fare adjustment machine at the train station.
3. I found a short line suddenly at the crowded supermarket (am I stretching this?!)

I read that caffeine withdrawal does cause depression so I guess that's it. I still have coffee in the morning, but that's it and that's a drastic reduction from before. I have been having, since september, problems with my legs going totally numb. I am thinking the excessive caffeine and all the stress I was going through had a lot to do with that so I'm anxious to see how getting off the stuff will affect me there as well. I mean, I was off mega caffeine for a couple years and then just was so stressed and so insistent on getting to the gym and doing a kickass workout that I got back into the habit of wanting that jolt.

And stormy, tell me how the party went. I hope you had a great time!

Thanks again. Good luck to everyone. Hope to hear more from you all. It's lonely over here.

little grasshopper
12-19-2004, 07:48 AM
Good morning Redballoon - BF has been snoring for the past 3 hours - I finally just gave up and got out of bed! I'm glad the ride helped you. You've got two positives going on there, the exercise and being with an animal you love!! Mac won't let me ride him. He's a 65 pound australian shepard. I guess I can understand it :D But Maggie is much bigger - she could let me ride, just for a bit...... :lol: Anyway, I'm glad you got to spend some time with your horse. And congratulations on the healthy breakfast, not that your normal one isn't healthy, but it's hard to get healthy food on the run! As for the nuts....I swear I eat nuts all day long. They are high in fat, but it's the good fat that your body needs to function well. I eat a ton of raw cashews and almonds. The taste was funky at first but I'm use to it now and the cashews are actually sweet.

I like the pants Idea. I sort of so that. Right now my favorite jeans are suddenly baggy in the legs but still have the fat roll over the top...go figure. I have toothpick legs and arms but gain weight in my torso. Hips, back, chest, THEN stomach. It's an interesting pattern. The problem with it is though that I can't SEE the areas I'm losing weight a lot of times, because it's my back. Oters don't see it so readily so no one comments on it at all. I'll drop 20 pounds without anyone realizing it. I guess that's good, they don't seem to comment when I gain 20. Maybe I'm one of those people that don't look like I need the compliment. I'm NOT.

So I got this magazine yesterday all about living a simple, natural life. Articles like " A less is more holiday season." Every thing in it is horribly expensive!!!! Please explain to me when it became too expensive to live simply? I realize it's not, but if you want to be fashionable while you're simple it is :) :)

I made it throug yesterday without doing anything too drastic. I did put hot peppers in my guacamole, put that's something I can probably process pretty easily. OH - we were shopping last night for BF's food. I usually get mine on fridays because I go to an all organic shop near work...then we get his and anything leftover for the house. Well, last night we're roaming around and I ask the weekly "what do you want to eat this week" and he says he's going to eat whatever I EAT! So we got more veggies and more meat and he's ready to get started :) :) Wants to race again next year so he's got to start now getting his body ready. I'm considering it too. Mountain Bike races. I've never tried one - I could enter as a beginner and see how I do????

Okay, must get something done today. I still have two batches of soap to make and labels for the lemoncello to figure out. Plus laundry and doggie bathing......The good news is that I managed to lose 5 pounds this week - I'm going to change my ticker :) :) I really do need the scale, right now at least. I can't tell with my body - so I need something telling me I'm doing well.

I've rambled enough now - hope everyone is feeling better, and handling all the stresses that are popping up with ease!! Talk to you all soon!

stormy1
12-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi ladies,

Good afternoon to you all. I hope that every one is doing better today.

Red balloon, I know it must be hard coming off caffeine. I have seen my husband attempt to do so. He was very moody. I hope that you continue to resist it. It must be hard especially having to get up as early as you have to. Keep thinking positive. I like the list you wrote of what you did today, like helping the elderly person. It is good to write down positive things like that.

Little GH, it will be so exciting to buy a pair of jeans. How much weight do you have to lose to go down a size? I guess it varies with everyone. I am looking forward to wearing shorts this summer, that is what I aspire to do. Not short shorts, just shorts and feel comfy in them :D .

Crimegirl, I hope you are feeling better :cool: .

Well the party was fun last night. I learned :lol: a couple of line dances. I ate well lots of veggies. I did allow myself to have four small bites of my husband's fudge cake. It was so good! I am proud of myself for not eating more. Another challenge is ahead. I have another party in a couple of hours. I weighed myself for todays weigh in and I lost two pounds (despite the cake :^: ) Now I need to get through this party today :(

Friday night we rented Supersize Me. It is a documentary of obesity in America from poor eating habits. This one is about a guy who eats fast food every meal for a month. Pretty eye opening!

Crime girl
12-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Moving the board to Battle of the Bulge #4-
Feel worse today-
will try to catch up on conversation tomorrow..
Hope you all are well..
Post how you are doing if you want me to update your weight...
Thanks

redballoon
12-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Here's the link to the new thread. Thanks, Crime girl, for starting it up. Hope you feel better real soon!!

Everyone, come on over!! :wave:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50574