Support Groups - Christmas & New Years Talk #2

View Full Version : Christmas & New Years Talk #2

FrouFrou
12-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Hiya Ladies and Ho Ho Ho!

Okay, all this talk of Christmas got me to thinking that maybe we need a thread to put all our favorites on. So I thought here we could talk about traditions, favorite Christmas movies, books, music, what you love about the holidays, favorite memories, etc. Also, feel free to post pics. We looooovvve to see the photos ladies. This time I thought I would include New Years. So if you would like to share your thoughts, ideas or plans for New Years also, feel free.

So post away ladies...

FrouFrou
12-08-2004, 03:56 PM
Marti & Ellen~look forward to seeing your pics. I am planning on posting some in the next few days. I have a roll of film I am working on and then will do the one hour thing.

Ellen~I don't have a digital camera either. Never thought I needed one, still don't but it would come in handy. So it takes me forever to post especially if I am in the middle of a roll, which I am now. Didn't really want to finish it off with more pics of Christmas decorations.

Anyway, thinking Saturday I should have some posted ladies.

Marti
12-08-2004, 09:03 PM
Ellen--

Your house is absolutley gorgeous!! Puts mine to shame!! Love the way you decorated. Would love to come over and just admire it all!

Beautiful Work!!

Tea Rose
12-08-2004, 09:13 PM
HANKYOU MARTI
Thats very nice of you to say, but they don't put anyones to shame since
they are all done with love and they are all beautiful remember what I said about compensating with Christmas Decorations:lol: I can hardly wait to see yours and everyones ,I love them all , and they are extra special because you girls are my friends and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.And come on over anytime bring James and Jhanai and we will have Christmas cookies and hot chocolate. Sorry they were so big I don't know how to make them smaller yet it took me all day to figure out how to do the whole thing no easy feat for me

FrouFrou
12-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Wooooow Ellen, your house is GORGEOUS! It puts mine to shame also. Kind of embarassed to show my little decorations. :o I thought I had a lot, no wonder it took you a while and you started early. How inthe world did you get so much stuff on your mantel and how does it stay there?

Okay, now I guess I am going to be a spoil sport, but is there any way to resize your pics? I don't want you to take them off so don't fret. ;) I've never used Photobucket so don't know how it works, nor have I gone thru 3fc. Just curious as I am afraid this has slowed down everything with the pics being so big and all.

Jane do you know how to resize them? I know that resizer thingy you told us about and I have that here. Or what can be done so the thread isn't as slow as Christmas?

Did anyone else have a problem with it taking a long time to see? Or is it just my old slow 'puter?

Anyway...they are gorgeous pics Ellen and your house looks so very pretty.

Tea Rose
12-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Hi Cristi
Thankyou for you kind words I appreciate them, as far as the decorations staying on its prayers, lots and lots of prayers:lol: The living roon mantle is 2 1/2 feet deep so it allows a lot of stuff ,but the kitchen is only about 10 in, I tack the garlands with small nails, but the decorations are carefully layered and so far thats the way I have always done it ,and knock on wood there have been no disasters. My kitties are very good, they don't touch a thing , I am really lucky they just look .I can hardly wait to see your pictures and everyone elses , I know they are all beautiful ,I hope we get to see your pink boudoir tree.

Marti
12-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Here are a few photos....I need to take better ones since these look so dark and I still had boxes out that I was going through. (shame on me for not cleaning up first!) :)
Tomorrow I will take some w/better lighting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/belong2james/DSC00803.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/belong2james/DSC00804.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/belong2james/DSC00801.jpg

Tea Rose
12-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Hello ladies
What types of things do you girls do on New years Eve , I must admit it is not a favorite holiday for me , I see it as a couples night and although the kids always try to include me in their festivities I feel like an intruder .I usually try really hard to be in bed before the clock strikes midnight , for me its just another day. Hows that for crummy New Years Spirit far cry from Christmas and only a week apart .

Tea Rose
12-08-2004, 11:36 PM
]Hi Martie your decorations are beautiful I love your Santa's I have a few, I too like the old fashioned ones ,Your tree is perfect ,what a beautiful shape it has, they did a great job picking it out.Thankyou for sharing your pictures , I really am enjoying this ,I hope Jhanai is so excited she'll bust, of course I don't want her to bust , you know what I mean :lol: looking forward to seeing some more and don't worry about the cleaning up its part of the decorating process ,Hey I see a present it couldn't be for me could it , ah gee you shouldn't have :lol: and you didn't, did you ? shucks:rofl:

FrouFrou
12-09-2004, 12:13 AM
I'm baaaaaack...:lol:

Had to come back and take a gander at some more pics. Ellen, I am in awe of your house and decorations-so beautiful! And Marti, your tree looks nice and so green. I can smell it...love your Santas.

Hey, it was faster coming up this time so I think it will be fine Ellen. Plus with the pics being so big we can really see the ornaments and decorations up close. :)

Ooops! Forgot to mention New Years Eve Ellen. We do nothing. We have stayed up a few times to ring in the New Year with Dick Clark (keeping him in our prayers) and a glass of champagne. Sometimes we get silly like last year and I bought some hats, noise makers and confetti. At least I think it was last year, may have been the year before. :dunno: We had some neighbors before moving that saved fireworks from fourth of july and did it up at midnight-really nice, it was the big ones you would see at a show. One day I may actually get dressed up and go somewhere. Have been wanting to forever but have yet to do it. I remember one year with DH#1 at midnight we (us & the kids) were standing at the door with pots and metal spoons. :lol: Don't think the neighbors appreciated it but we thought it was fun. Anyway, for the most part I am in bed.

Tea Rose
12-09-2004, 12:49 AM
Do we not ever go to bed :lol: what time is it there anyways, so glad you are enjoying the pictures , my head is swelling . well at least it will match the rest of me :rofl: I do appreciate all the kind words.one thing I do miss is the real tree up until a few years ago I would never have considered artificial but this house doesn't allow the space for a large tree so when I came across this one ,which is narrower in width and it looks nice as well I decided it was better than no tree which we didn't have for the first few years after we moved here. The room is very narrow only 10 feet wide instead of using the room allowed for the dining room which would have been 8 ft x 10 I decided to just use the whole room as a living room,so it gave me more space .I only need the one table anyways there would be no difference in the size of the other room. I used the china cabinet in the living room and my dining table is just taking up space downstairs.Any way to make a short story long as usual I did find room for the tree ,:lol: I really like the idea of the pots and metal spoons I might try that this year but I I probably won't be heard over the S T U D E N T S I really should go to bed I have been here most of the day, and didn't do much else. I had better do laundry tomorrow or I'll be sitting here in only my fuzzy slippers ,not a pretty sight :yikes: Ok then I will leave you with that visual ,guarenteed to give nightmares , I am going to bed now .night :lol:

Jane
12-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Ellen and Marti - your photos are just gorgeous! Thank you for sharing them. I, too, like big photos so you can see the details. The page is actually STILL loading as I write this, but maybe it will be quicker next time, like Cristi's.

Cristi - at photobucket, you have to option of making photos smaller. But then you can't see details in pictures like these. Downsizing them is great for body shots of Jane, though, lol. Can't wait to see yours! (your christmas photos, not your body, lol) A digital camera comes in handy - you'd love one! I read where this woman takes a photo of the cars next to hers in parking lots 'cause she's got a new car and if anybody dings it, she wants a record of who it was, lol. Then she just erases them, lol. Same woman takes photos of her shoes and tapes them to the outside of the boxes she stores them in. I like paying for only the shots I want - 26 cents each at Walmart. Doubles of only the ones I want doubles of, too.

New Year's Eve? Well, Neal and I are going dancing. Nobody dresses up, although I wish they would! I'll be wearing black slacks and a sweater. I'll start out with strappy black sandles, but those will come off after about an hour, lol. Remember, I bought the soft pink sweater with "diamonds" on it? I haven't worn it at all yet - saving it for this night. This will be held at The Eagles (theclubnotthegroup). Terry and Gina are going, as are some good friends of ours, Debbie and Gary, who also are important in Gina's life. I went to school with Debbie. Her husband is a real sweetie who looks like Fred Flintstone, He would do anything he could for anybody. Debbie is a hoot - everytime we're together, there are lots of giggles. Gina will be flashing her hand around, no doubt. :D I'll get tipsy and Neal will only have a couple of beers since he's driving. The club is on the edge of town, on the very same road where we live, so traffic won't be a problem, though.

FrouFrou
12-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Okay, was headed over to start a #3 but noticed all the photos gone. :shrug: What's up??? :shrug:

Ellen~you didn't have to delete your photos. :( I enjoyed looking at them and it was only slow for me the first time. Since then I haven't had a problem. You could have them them up missy and others could have looked it they wanted to. Anyway...they were gorgeous and you did an absolutely beautiful job decorating your house. Did you ever get the outside done? Curious to see what you do on the outside since the inside is so gorgeous.

Jane
12-10-2004, 07:48 AM
Ellen,

Oh, I wish you hadn't deleted your photos! Are you going to post a link to them?

What's everyone else doing for New Year's?

FrouFrou
12-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Okay, slow in coming but here they are...

http://photos.yahoo.com/givingthanks04

I have to say tho they are not so great. Some were a little blurry and you can't really see some too good. Like in the kitchen above the cabinets, on the left is three wooden angels I got at a craft sale in the Capital in LR, AR a few years ago, then the dreamsicile tree in the middle and the wooden Santa & Sleigh with propeller. The snowman and Santa door hangers I made years ago when the kids were small, very small. Still in good condition tho. The snowman and woman on my hutch a friend made those for me years ago out of coffee cans and batting so cool. Can hardly see my santas on the mantel. It doesn't look too full, (the garland) but it really is. Had to show some of my ornaments up close. The pull toy a friend bought us from Austria, and the little angel boy on a cloud next to it is the angels I started collecting a few years ago, the Marys Angels-it's a different one every year except last year when they had an anniversary one also which is in the second picture, the two angels by a lamp post. The cross a friend made. It is actually a book mark but I thought it would look pretty on the tree. The crocheted angel above it a friend at my moms work made it when Jason was 2. The big angel on the right was presented to us at a memorial at the Mortuary for Nathan. They had a beautiful ceremony for everyone who passed away that year and went thru their mortuary. And had to show a pic of my favorite decoration, the Toy Store which is blurry also. The little girls head moves back and forth taking in all the toys in the window. The lightpost lights up, the toy soldier goes around as does the train in the window, and a rocking horse that rocks and the jack in the box goes up and down, so cute. Anyway...DD said the pictures don't look as good as it does in real life, she said they don't do it justice. She said that because she loves the tree in my bedroom especially the angels and the ballerina teddy bears-don't know if you can see them. Anyway, there they are ladies or most of it, the big stuff. I did a little more here and there. Nothing like Ellens gorgeous home but I love them.

By the way Ms Ellen, I bragged about your decorations to DH and DD and was going to show them to them and they were gone. :( I kept talking about them and DH said he wanted to see them. I compared them to these house tours where they have the houses fixed up so beautifully! Anyway, if I had the time, patience and money to start over with my stuff I would definitely do it up like yours, or at least hire someone to. :lol:

Tea Rose
12-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Hi Cristi
Your home and your decorations are just beautiful , everything looks so warm I love them, Sorry about the pictures I ,wanted everyone to be able to be able to enjoy the Christmas thread. I was a little to excited and didn't realize that they would be a problem,for everyone else ,but if I can figure out how to do what you did I will put them back if you would like.I am so happy you finally got your pictures posted they were well worth the wait. Thanks so much for sharing them Cristi HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Cristi I was just checking photobucket and is it where it says invite a guest r how did you do it ,I need help :dizzy:

Marti
12-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Cristi your house is beautiful too!! My photos just don't seem to compare!!

Ellen, I did get a chance to show James your photos and he was amazed as I was! Said wow, she put a lot of work into that. Very beautiful.

Later on today when I'm done running around, I will take better photos of my house and post. I like Cristi's idea of getting close up photos of the ornaments on the tree....I'll try that.

BBL!

Jane
12-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Cristi - your decorations are gorgeous!!!!! I really, really like all the photos you posted. Noticed there are 6 stockings, and 5 of you in your family.... is the extra one for Ernie, or is it for me? :D

Marti
12-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Pssst, Jane....didn't you know? That extra stocking is for ME! :D

Tea Rose
12-11-2004, 07:00 PM
http://photobucket.com/albums/v619/tearose1/ELLEN%20CHRISTMAS%202004
Heres my pictures everyone it took me a long time to figure it out but I finally did, :lol:

Marti
12-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Oh Ellen!! Can I come over and move in???
I looked at every one of your photos and just loved everything!! Your home looks so magical! And I LOVE your furniture!
SO beautiful!

So glad you put these back up!! Thank you for sharing Ellen!

Tea Rose
12-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi Marti
Your very sweet, of course you can move in the more the merrier ,but can I stay:lol:It really wasn't a big deal it just took me a while to figure it all out I have only just learned how to use a computer ,about the same time I joined , so you girls will have to be patient with me ,till I learn all the yes's:yes: and nono's:nono: :lol:I appreciate all your kind words, this little place has been a five year project, when I moved in there was nothing here ,except some really ugly builders carpeting I removed hundreds of nails and staples on the stairs and refinished them myself ,I have also filled every hole primed painted and decorated every inch of it myself ,I had a friend build the bookcases and fireplaces in the living and kitchen which I designed myself, and he did all the trimmwork , my son and I did the brick floors in the living room and landings and I had the tiles laid by a professional that was a task I wasn't taking on.It has been a labour of love thats for sure, looking back the amount of work that we did is mindboggling and I would not want to undertake it again at this stage in my life. I am quite content here the only drawback is that we are attatched to another house ,but my neighbours currently are wonderful and I hope they don't move , but they are a young family ,so chances are they will at some point,but I try not to worry to much about that.any way leave to me to make a short story long as I always say,but I am so happy you enjoyed the pictures ,not many people see the decorations ,but I loved sharing them with you all. I also loved your decorations Marti your home looks warm and thats the most important feeling of all in any home. :sunny:

Marti
12-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Ellen--I think it's great that you did some of the remodeling of your house. James & I did that before we moved in. You should have seen it before....terrible. And it smelled horrible! How big is your house?

Cristi--I went to look at your photos again...how did your photo of the outside turn out so good? Everytime I tried to take a photo of our lights (which I don't have up this year) it never turned out...even using and not using the flash. The area you have decorated in the kitchen (above the cabinets) is how I wanted to do mine. I didn't get any greenery like I wanted so instead I put up all my nutcrackers up there. My favorite photo of all of them.....Ernie! That is soooo cute! Did he hate having those antlers on? Or was his a good boy and cooperated?

Who else is going to share photos? I will be taking better pictures tomorrow.....when I'm not running around. I'm going to try and decorate a little more. Then bake some cookies and make a dinner for James......oh this being busy all the time is making me tired! :D

Jane
12-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Ellen, thank you so much for sharing these photos! They are just simply beuatiful! I am very fond of decorated staircases, so I think that one is my favorite, but they are all just gorgeous.

Tea Rose
12-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi Marti :wave: HAPPY HOLIDAYS
The house is 1250 square ft ,its a semi detatched two story, it has a beautiful yard , although we are attatched on one side, my neighbour on the other side is a wonderful older couple and they have a huge property and they have lived there for over 50 yrs,since they were married, the roads were dirt then and they were the only ones on the street for miles this was one if the last peices of land to be built on,so when they built these house here they were sad to lose
so many of the trees but happy to have neighbours , so our houses are the distance of two properties apart. the lot is narrow 35 ft wide but the length is over 300 ft long and its all treed along the one side and the far back. The whole property was treed, but when they cleared the land to build they cleared most of trees in the yard ,I don't know why, they were so big, old, and beautiful, it was new when I bought it ,but was just a shell.I knew that this would probably be my last home so I decided to fix it up to make it my own, to the best of my ability. With limited funds and a lot of hard word by us and friends I think we've acheived that..My son is hoping to buy the other side, if our neighbours ever decide to sell in the next five years, so I would feel safe ,and I would have someone close by which would be nice. Now its time for me to start remodelling myself ,not surgically ,just cosmetically since I haven't bought one peice of clothing in 5 years ,had my hair done, or done anything for myself, so I think this year that will be one of my new years resolutions and everyone here agrees its time to stop working on the house and focus on myself, You know what they are saying don't you " MOM YOU NEED HELP" :yikes: :lol: and I do agree.So see Marti you asked how big the house was and I wrote a novel and I even left out all the peices of furniture I refinished in the house,:lol: I will leave that for another day , So now how do I make this into a Christmas post, OH yeah HO HO HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS , thats good enough isn't it:lol:.Thanks Marti and looking forward to any more pictures you can post.
HI Jane :wave: hAPPY HOLIDAYS
I'm happy you enjoyed the pictures, I love staircases to , I don't have a lot of railing area but what I do have is nice and its enough to have to decorate , if it went all the way up , I'd have to go shopping for more decorations :lol: and I am trying to stay out of those stores at least for the rest of this year, although my son went to one of the greenhouses he does business with a couple of days ago and they have the whole christmas store set up which is amazing ,and he brought me home angel wings made out of real feathers they are about a 11/2 feet wide by 1ft long they look like real angel wings, not that I have seen a real angel :lol: but you know what I mean , anyway he bought me three sets and I have place one set on the banister and the other two on the columns. so you didn't get to see those. He said Mom you have to go to this store and see the stuff there you will love everything , I said no doubt, but I don't really think thats a good idea :lol: Thanks Jane

Katiecat
12-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Your houses are beautiful, ladies :) Thanks for sharing the pics.

I don't have a lot of decorations up. Have a big green wreath on the front door that smells fantastic. My nativity scene is really pretty on the mantel over the fireplace -- it's under a painting my BIL painted of a star showing through bare trees on a winter evening. The painting stays up year round, but the first time we put up the nativity scene under it, we realized it looks like the Star of Bethlehem.

The tree is pretty. I have an angel in white for the top my sister in Washington bought for me a few years ago, so she's special to me. Almost all of our ornaments have a special meaning or story behind them, and some are pretty unusual. I have one that kind of looks like a wooden nutcracker -- I'm not ususally very fond of those, but this one is Good King Wenceslaus, carrying a basket of food, and that was my granddad's favorite carol. I have a stained glass lute and mandolin that I love. And we have some unusual and beautiful glass ornaments that my MIL sent to us from Michigan -- a pickle and a carrot (traditional German designs for good luck), some fruit like cherries and a pear, some beautiful dark blue globes with snowflakes on them, and a Canadian Mountie snowman (since she is from Canada). So it's not like anything "matches", but it all comes together and works, I guess :)

Tea Rose
12-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Hi Katie
Your decorations sound beautiful and they have differents meanings behind them which is very special ,one thing with Christmas decorations they don't have to match they always work together because of the feelings they give us. Your painting sounds beautiful, I can picture it with the nativity scene under it ,and how it must look,.I love the smell of fresh greenery although I have done my decorating with artificial about a week before Christmas I like to insert some pine bows into the mantles,railing and floral arrangements just to have the fragrance of the pines.and it works out well as long as I do it carefully, I am happy you enjoyed our pictures ,I know I have enjoyed everyones and am looking forward to seeing more.I hope your Hoidays are Happy Ones

FrouFrou
12-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Katie~I agree, your tree and decorations sound very pretty. Wanna share some photos? ;)

Ellen~thank you for putting your pics back up. I haven't showed DH yet but did show DD some of them last night and she agreed they are beautiful! Your house really is gorgeous! I too love the stairs. We have the stairs going down to the basement but not really anything we can decorate. I hold on to the railing going down as I am sure the kids do to so can't really put anything there.

Didn't put up my nativity scene as I have been looking for a new one. The one I have I have had for years, 18 I think since DD was 2 and it is looking a little ragged. So next year I will have a new one for sure to show off. I usually put it on the sofa table with some of that fake snow and then put white lights thru-out it so that they shine thru the back of it.

Marti~look forward to seeing some more of your decorations. I had taken more of the ornaments on the tree but couldn't decide which ones to show. Not sure how the pics outside turned out like they did. Just crossed our fingers and hoped they would. :crossed: :lol: No special camera or anything.

Jane~yes there are 6 stockings, Ernies is a puppy dog one we hang somewhere else, usually by the tree. The sixth one is for Nathan(iel). We bough one for him the first Christmas after we lost him and include him every year. Just wouldn't seem right to us not having a stocking for him even though he is not with us physically. He will always be with us spiritually and in our hearts so we always include him.

Anyway, a big THANK YOU ladies for the compliments. Nothing fancy but I love the way it looks and feels. The funny thing is when Christmas is over and everything is taken down the house looks so empty without it. Get used to seeing all the red and the lights.

Almost forgot...Marti, DS#2 put that on Ernies head and made him sit still for a few mintues to get his picture. The few times I put it on, it was off as fast as it was put on. He hates to have anything on his head or even to wear anything. We put a sweater on him once in a while when it is really cold out, and he will just freeze. He won't move until we take it off. Too cute and too funny.

Marti
12-13-2004, 12:22 AM
Cristi--What a nice thing you do for your son. That touched my heart. Brought a smile and a tear. I think it's wonderful that you include him every year.
Your Ernie sounds just like our Cocoa! She can't stand to wear a sweater and when it's put on she'll freeze.....forever! The first time we put one on her, she froze and we didn't realize it until an hour later that she was still standing in the same spot she was at when we put it on! What got our attention was the noise of her little feet. she kept adjusting herself because after awhile, her little paws got sore. We finally took it off. Stubborn little dog!!

I'm going to try and get a Christmas photo of the dogs....not sure how yet. And....tomorrow is a nothing day for me so I will get those photos. Keep saying I will but haven't yet.

Jane
12-13-2004, 07:49 AM
Cristi - (((((HUGS))))) for the story of the extra stocking. I'm sure he's smiling down on your family....

FrouFrou
12-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Marti~that is so cute but kind of sad. Can't believ Cocoa stood there for a hour and didn't make a sound, poor doggy. I locked Ernie on the backporch in our other house I don't know how many times. Our laundry room was back there. it was like a mud room with an extra room where the washer, dryer, a sink and a shower were. Ernie would follow me to the laundry room and then go sit by the back door but he was so quiet I didn't know he had followed me out there. Till much later when I would here his whimpering and go check the side door thinking I let him out to go potty and forgot to let him in (did that a few times also). No telling how long he would be out there either because it was the back of the house and can't hear anything in the front. Just figured he was upstairs on his bed sleeping. :lol: Poor puppy dog. Of course then I would have to baby him. Anyway, they are so cute thou aren't they? What would we do without our pets? Hope you can get some pics of your doggies.

Marti
12-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Let's see....I must not have good lighting in my house because these still turned out darker than I wanted and I'm using a flash. Maybe the time of day is the problem?? Anyway here are some more photos. The photo of the misfit toys are James contribution to decorating....sitting on our entertainment center.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/belong2james/DSC00827.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/belong2james/DSC00828.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/belong2james/DSC00835.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/belong2james/DSC00830.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/belong2james/DSC00832.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/belong2james/DSC00818.jpg

The last one is of Jhanai doing her part of the narration of the program. Notice that no one is wearing pretty little dresses??? The theme was about school.....not christmas even though they had the songs in tune of Christmas songs. I think I need to take a photography class!! I need to learn to take better pictures!

Marti
12-13-2004, 04:32 PM
Since I'm sharing photos...I had to share this one.
James was trying to take a nap on this small loveseat, Cocoa came up and got underneath the blanket and Chewy decided to include himself and plopped on top of Cocoa! I thought it was cute.
Of coarse James is laying on top of their bed (the red pillow sticking out from under) so it's their territory! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/belong2james/DSC00808.jpg

Tea Rose
12-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Hi Marti
Yay more pictures,thanks I love your nutcrackers I have quite a few as well ,thats one thing I would like to add more of to my collection of christmas decorations.I also love rocking horses but the one I loved most broke and I was never able to find another like it.I love your decorations they are very beautiful, thankyou for sharing some more.I also love your puppies they are so cute ,they cuddle up like my kitties, I used to have a golden retreiver name Aria she was prescious but she had to be put down 6 years ago after suffering numerous health problems ,it was very hard.Thank you for sharing your sweet puppies with us , they are a special part of our families aren't they.

FrouFrou
12-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Marti~GREAT pics! Love the tree, your santas and all your nutcrackers are nice too! You and Ellen got me to looking at nutcrackers and I almost bought one except the one I found they didn't have. I didn't realize I don't have one nutcracker, not one. Especially love the pic of James and the doggies! How adorable is that? Thanks for sharing your photos of your house and family. I love to see everyones pics, I think it brings us even closer to one another. Anyone else want to share?

Jane
12-14-2004, 06:34 AM
Marti - LOVE your photos, especially the misfit toys! Where in the world did James find those? I'd love to have a set of them. Jhanai - hold on just a doggone minute!!!! When did she get so GROWN UP looking???? That's her at the microphone, right? What a cutie, and not a little girl anymore! The photo of James and the dogs is precious! A nice hunk 'o man there, Marti!

Marti
12-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Thanks everyone!! Such nice things to say. Although...my house is way too simple. Not really deck out like I would want.

Ellen--I love rocking horses too. Used to have a couple ornaments...not sure whatever happened to those.

Cristi--The little nutcrackers I have (at the end) I bought at the dollar store. So I bought four, one of each color to add to my collection. I also have a musical one that's not up there and my tree has about nine of them hanging in there.

Jane--You noticed that Jhanai is growing up too!! Can you believe it? But yes, that's her w/the microphone. The misfits ornaments (yep ornaments) we bought at Costco. Or was it Target?? It was one of the two. We bought them a few years ago, so I don't really remember.

Tea Rose
12-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Happy Holidays Everyonehttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/tearose1/extra%20pictures/10053127.jpg
Has our Christmas sight fizzled out , no others want to share pictures,I know we would sure love to see them. Hows everyone feeling now that Christmas is so close,are you enjoying the season,or are you more stressed than anything. Is anyone going to try the pumpkin cheesecake recipe for Christmas? I sure hope so ,and I hope you like it as much as we do. I think it would feel more like Christmas if some snow would fall ,the little bits I have been getting isn't enough to stay on the ground for long.I wish some others would share their traditions ,special treats , stocking stuffers, anything at all,would be nice. I am hoping to post the outside pictures didn't do as much this year ,just didn't feel like climbing on the roof ,and I didn't do the top of the porch which I usually put garlands white lights and gold bows on, I ran out of steam I think.Anyways it is what it is ,so if I get the pictures done in time I will post them, but I sure wish some of you other girls would share some pictures with us,since we already know what ours look like:lol:

RosieKate
12-16-2004, 09:01 AM
I am really enjoying everyone's pictures and descriptions. I got my film back yesterday, but the mantle picture didn't turn out :( Still haven't put up a tree, but DH and I plan to do it Saturday...then the boxes come down and we get to business!

I ordered a standing rib roast for Christmas dinner, and got some wonderful organic lemons in my latest produce delivery, so I will make some lemon shortbread to freeze and have for dessert. I found a great prime rib recipe that involves makeing a paste out of herbs and roasted garlic. You smear the paste on the roast then cover it with pancetta...I'm salivating just writing this down!

Marti - Jhanai is looking so grown-up! James is having a choir prgram on Friday - his class has already been caroling at the nursing home. That on top of singing twice at church - he's about sung out. His school does sing Christmas Carols, and Hanukkah songs, kwanzaa, you name it. They call it Winter Solstice, but observe many traditions, which I like because that's the way people are outside of school - observing many traditions. Sorry J's school feels they have to remove all mention of Christmas....it's going overboard if you ask me. Your house is so pretty....

Crisit - I am so touched that you keep a stocking for Nathan each year. We have a special plaque that DH's late brother made that we make sure to display every year. He is always in our hearts, but during the holidays,he feels real nearby...I don't know how to describe it, but maybe it's a little bit of what you feel for Nathan....

Ellen - your house looks and sounds like a piece of heaven..which is what everyone's house should be! I mean we spend so much time in our homes, we should really take the time to make them our haven and refuge, don't you think? Our house is small, about the same size as yours, but it is so warm and cozy. It has a good layout for young kids.

I attended an Advent class last night after Vespers and just we focused on taking time to breathe and be quiet and reflect on the season,,,it was so moving and I felt so centered and calm. Was able to let go of the stress over not having the time to get a tree :dizzy:

Hope everyone is feeling calm.....

FrouFrou
12-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Katy~aaaaaahhhh...I was looking forward to seeing your mantel. :( I took several of everything when I took pics in case that happened. Have sometimes taken several and had not one turn out too. Yeah, I think it is about the same feeling also with Nathan. Your roast and lemon shortbread sound delicious.

Ellen~still waiting on those outdoor pics.;) And yes you do have a cozy, beautiful home.

Tea Rose
12-16-2004, 07:46 PM
HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE
AAHHHHH NO PICTURES kATY AAHHHH I'M SAD :( I THINK I'M GONNA ,YES I AM :bb: SORRY YOUR PICTURES DIDN'T TURN OUT, WAS REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THEM,THANKYOU FOR YOUR KIND WORDS ABOUT THE HOMESTEAD ,I AGREE OUR HOMES SHOULD BE OUR HAVEN AND REFUGE ITS WHERE ARE HEARTS ARE .I AM QUITE CONTENT IN MY LITTLE HOME HERE, ITS ALL I NEED ,A PLACE THATS WARM AND COZY WHERE MY CHILDREN MY KITTIES AND I HAVE FOUND A PEACE AND HAPPIENESS WE HAVE LONGED TO HAVE AND WHERE WE CAN NOW BUILD MEMORIES. I KNOW WITHOUT SEEING YOUR HOME ITS WARM AND COZY JUST BY YOUR DESCRIPTION ,AND MOST IMPORTANTLY FROM YOU.THE LEMON SHORTBREAD AND THE ROAST ARE MAKING MY MOUTH WATER, ITS NICE TO HEAR WHAT EVERYONE DOES ON CHRISTMAS ,YOU ALWAYS ASSUME EVERYONE DOES THE SAME THING TURKEY BUT THERE ARE SO MANY WONDERFUL OPTIONS TO CHOOSE FROM,I DO ROAST AT EASTER WHEN I ASSUME EVERYONES DOING HAM.NOW I'M GETTING SO HUNGRY,BUT I'M NOT EATING TILL CHRISTMAS:lol:I THINK ITS IMPORTANT TO TAKE TIME ,TO BE QUIET AND REFLECT ON THE SEASON ,IT GETS SO CHAOTIC, AND THE MEANING SOMETIMES GETS LOST IN IT ALL.I HOPE THAT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY HAS A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS AND OF COURSE YOU KNOW YOU HAVEN'T HEARD THE END OF ME YET ON THIS SUBJECT.

HI THERE CRISTI.
FUNNY THING, BORROWED THE CAMERA ,TURNED ON THE LIGHTS ,CAME IN TO GET THE CAMERA ,AND COULD'NT FIND IT,I THINK MY SON TOOK IT TO TAKE PICTURES OF HIS SHOW TONIGHT, SO I WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE WEE HOURS OF THE MORN AND I MEAN WEE , OR I HAVE TO WAIT TILL TOMORROW,SO DON'T BE SAD , BUT I THINK YOU MAY BE DISSAPPOINTED SINCE THE OUTSIDE ISN'T DONE UP LIKE THE INSIDE, AND I DIDN'T DO EVERYTHING I USUALLY DO,WASN'T IN THE MOOD TO CLIMB LADDERS THIS YEAR IT MIGHT BE AN AGE THING:lol: BUT I WILL SHARE ANYWAYS ,JUST BECAUSE I LIKE YOU AND YOUR NICE TO ME :lol: AAHH DO I GO ON TO MUCH,JUST THINK IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS THIS WHOLE THING WILL BE OVER THEN WHAT WILL WE TALK ABOUT VALENTINES DAY,BUT i HAVE NO SWEETHEART ,WELL MY KIDS AND KITTIES ARE ,WELL I'LL FIGURE SOMETHING OUT TO SAY.SO HAVE I BORED YOU TO TEARS YET, WHEN YOU GET YOUR ROOM ALL PAINTED AND HAVE ALL YOUR NEW FUNRNITURE IN I WANT PICTURES !!!!!!PLEASE.OK I WILL GO AND ANNOY SOMEONE ELSE FOR A WHILE ,SINCE I'M SO GOOD AT IT.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/tearose1/extra%20pictures/CHDogSleigh.jpg

FrouFrou
12-16-2004, 11:58 PM
Ellen~you are silly :) And you don't annoy me at all. I will post pics but it may be after Christmas. Still doing a bit of rearranging and trying to get things where we want them. Can't wait to paint-again! I actually like painting and do some but DH takes over so I let him. He is definitely a Mr. fix-it, do-it-yourselfer (Is that even a word? It's late and sounds weird to me). Anyway...toodles for now.

Tea Rose
12-17-2004, 12:57 AM
CRISTI DO YOU MEAN SILLY IN A LOVINGLY WAY: LOL:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/tearose1/extra%20pictures/p7166.jpg

FrouFrou
12-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Of course I do Ellen! And love that kitty pic, that is so very cute! I want one...

The count down begins ladies. Only 9 days till Christmas...:yikes: can't believe it is almost here-too soon for me. Like Ellen said, it seems like it was yesterday that all the decorations went up and here it is almost time to take them down. :(

So what is Santa :) bringing everyone? Anyone know what they are getting? I know a couple of things. :sssh:

:merry:

Tea Rose
12-18-2004, 10:53 AM
:merry: HAPPIEST OF HOLIDAYS EVERYONE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/tearose1/extra%20pictures/CHRISTMASVICT.gif 8 days till Christmas ,:eek: is everyone ready now, Katy do you have your tree up yet , you better :sball2: :sball: :snf: Cristi I do know a few things ,but are we telling or keeping them a secret till Christmas ,I'll tell if you will.:lol: Wow I can't believe in a matter of a week Christmas will be over and in another the holiday season will be done,then theres the task of dismantling everything and putting it all away for another year :eek: not looking forward to that , I go through a short period of shock and then its good to have everything back to normal because its easier to clean. hey its not even Christmas and I'm talking about it being over . Is everyone getting excited to have Christmas Dinner funny thats all you can think about when your trying to lose weight , but I have to have Christmas Dinner and all the trimmings ending with pumpkin cheesecake.Sorry Jane I just have to do it.:lol:Well I will try and post those pictures tomorrow or Monday Cristi ,just retrieved the camera again so if I can manage to hold onto it I will take the pics tonight,:merry:

FrouFrou
12-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Ellen~I am not looking forward to Christmas (Eve) dinner at all! It is just so much work for me and too tiring. But I do it anyway. I told DH next year I am thinking Christmas Eve dinner will be modified-but is it really christmas Dinner without Turkey and Ham??? :shrug: It will seem weird but I get to exhausted cooking all day even tho it does last two days, sometimes a little longer. We tried one of those grocery store dinners once, where they prepare everything and I added a couple of things to it. But it wasn't quite the same, not as good of course. I didn't like the smoked turkey but it sure was a load off me. Maybe find someone to cook the turkey and ham and me do the rest. :dunno: Or maybe just get some KFC! I joke about that once in a while and you should see the looks I get! :lol: Anyway...finally showed DH your beautiful house and decorations. He was in awe! He loved the house and decorations and wondered how long it took you to put it all up. And how you did it! He loved it tho as do I.

Is everyone ready for Christmas?

Hate to sound like a grinch but I am ready for it to be over! Maybe next year instead of decorating early if I wait a week or two maybe the excitement of it all will last thru Christmas and New Years??? :dunno:

da fat n da furious
12-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Cristi, the only thing Im liking is I get a week off from theatre....work is insane,,,and Im just tired.
My house looks like a mess from all the extra stuff around.
Another 2 weeks and all will be back to normal.

Tea Rose
12-20-2004, 10:33 PM
HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONEhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/tearose1/extra%20pictures/VictorianChristmasI.jpg

da fat n da furious
12-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Ellen I don't know where you are getting all these wonderful Christmas pictures,,,they are great.

Well its finally snowing here,,,we may actually have a white christmas...does't that sound sad,,,here I live up in Canada and we have all been walking around in t-shirts and shorts for the past week. ITs beautiful...
night all

Tea Rose
12-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Hi Angie
Its Freezing cold here but no snow yet, the forcast says its on its way so it does look like a white Christmas, that will surely pick up my spirits nothing like those great big white fluffy flakes falling from the heavens on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to put a smile on my face, so I am looking forward to the snow.I can't believe we both live in Canada and your wearing shorts and I'm freezing my butt off .whats wrong with this picture :lol:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/tearose1/extra%20pictures/kinkade_villageChristmasB.jpg

FrouFrou
12-21-2004, 12:13 PM
DO NOT POST HERE! Head on over to Christmas/New Years Talk #3...See ya there!