Old 12-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #1  

Default My new secret weapon - I have to share!

Hi ladies! I'm new here as of yesterday, so thanks for the warm welcome!

My story in a nutshell is that I've been on Atkins with varying degrees of strictness since January 2001, and its helped me lose and keep off more than 65 pounds. My highest weight was 238 (a lot for my 5'3 frame), and I'm currently at a much healthier 173, but definitely trying to keep losing. After a while of being off the wagon, I'm just rededicated myself to being strict on Atkins and regular exercise.

So, I just had to share my new secret weapon in the weight battle -- a personal trainer! I know, I know, it sounds pretty extravagant and expensive. Let me explain!

I got married about a year ago and was determined to look great in my wedding dress. The only problem was I had NO motivation to actually drag my lazy butt out of bed and get to the gym before or after work. I hate exercise, but I love the results. Plus, I recently moved to a major metropolitan area, where fitness clubs are really expensive. SO, I looked into everything, different clubs, even fitness boot camp (horrid torture!), and finally in desperation met with a few personal trainers. A few were sort of meatheads, but one guy and I really hit it off. So we worked together before my wedding and it did wonders! After the honeymoon, I slacked off.

Now I'm back in the swing of things with him, but only meeting him one or two times a week. He charges $40 per session which is pretty good for our area (it would be cheaper in smaller towns). The beauty of it is this: He comes to me! All I have to do is roll out of bed at 6:45, he arrives at 7:00, and he walks me through a workout tailored especially for me. There's no excuses (I can't very well not show up), and I've got his full attention and guidance regarding proper form, etc. as we work out. He's literally standing over me or behind me and guiding me through exercises. He knows what I can do and what I can't, and works with me. It's really great... He even calls me sometimes on off days to ask if I've been doing my cardio or what I've been eating.

So, I just wanted to share this as an idea, because its something I never thought I would do. But it really can be affordable -- or at least within reach. I figure I'll spend about $320 a month max on our training sessions, comparable maybe to a car payment. Considering I don't have the expense of a gym membership, the expense is easier to justify. I figure my health is worth it....at least to get me kick-started for a few months.

Anyway, ladies, just thought I'd share my secret weapon. Thanks for all the support.
CPgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:00 PM   #2  
Somethin's gotta give

*gets a visual of a well built guy coming to my door at 7am after I've just "rolled out of bed"*

I'm plotzing.
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:10 PM   #3  

Marie,

Yep! Don't tell my husband, but there's definitely something about my trainer that is . . . um. . . motivating! Sure as heck beats going to an aerobics class listening to some perky gal chirp, "Come on ladies, let's burn off those cupcakes!"
Old 12-08-2004, 03:28 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

Oh yah!! Definitely could visualise the hunk strolling through the door. Preferable NOT in spandex. That just does NOT do a thing for me My Dh would DEFINITELY put a kabosh on THAT real fast

But sounds like it works great for me. I'd have to have a woman trainer (due to DH's jealousy)...but I can't afford it So it's no motivation and no exercise for me. I'm still waiting to find out if shopping counts!!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:05 PM   #5  

Brenda...I know what you mean about spandex...yuck. He usually shows up in track suits, thank goodness. But, a woman trainer would work too!
Old 12-08-2004, 04:07 PM   #6  
Dawn aka Sims addict

Hello,

I am with you Brenda, no way could I have a male trainer bc the husband would NOT allow that !! Also even if the woman is skinny I would rather have a woman anyways.

I cant afford a trainer or the gym so all my exercise is done t hrough tapes. Pilates, bellydancing & walking the dog. Its working & I feel great.

CP: Way to go & glad to hear you found something that works for you !
abnrmlisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #7  
Proud Mama

Ya.. the male personal trainer would be dangerous... Very, very dangerous. Dh would never allow it either. Woooo! That would keep me motivated!
Uggamugga4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:43 PM   #8  
Future Size 6

I think I have the most unusual husband in the world. He knows I'd never do anything to hurt him, so my getting attention from other men actually makes him feel GOOD. He kind of puffs up and gets smug, like "Yeah, she's hot, and she's MINE!"

That personal trainer sounds awesome. Good for you!
Talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:03 PM   #9  
Somethin's gotta give

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman
I think I have the most unusual husband in the world. He knows I'd never do anything to hurt him, so my getting attention from other men actually makes him feel GOOD. He kind of puffs up and gets smug, like "Yeah, she's hot, and she's MINE!"

That personal trainer sounds awesome. Good for you!

thats my husband.....once in a while he will make a joke but he's so trusting it's almost sad-lol.....pllus IMHO he's a looker himself so he knows I wouldnt want anyone else
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:33 PM   #10  
The Princess O' Pets

Awh man, me too, my DH would not even care, he would open the door and be like "honey Sven is here for you, have fun, have a great workout!!" ahahahahahaha

I would LOVE to have a personal trainer!!!
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:15 PM   #11  
Baby Steps

What I would love is to have a DH that isn't so jealous! Jeez, after 16 years of marriage (not to mention his name tattoo'd on my forearm for ALL the world to see) you'd think he'd learn he's the nutter for me
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote