100 lb. Club - I've Lost 50 Pounds!

View Full Version : I've Lost 50 Pounds!

teapotdynamo
12-03-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm too sick (still!) to feel as good at this as I thought I would, but I still wanted to report that I've finally reached the 50-pound loss mark! I know many people on here have lost much more, but this is a *big* milestone for me.

In some ways, I already feel like a different person. My energy level (sickness nonwithstanding) is so high, when I used to get winded walking from one end of the mall to the other. I actually like exercise and get antsy when I miss it. I no longer find it impossible to choose a healthy dinner, eat half of what's on my plate, and not feel deprived. And yes -- I have so much more confidence now!

I just want to thank everyone on here. Your words motivate and touch me far more than you could know. This forum is truly a godsend.

Next goals - Winter Solstice Challenge then ONEDERLAND!!!! Nothing's gonna stop me now.

puff0518
12-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Congratulations!!! And you are an inspiration for me -- your starting weight is extremely close to mine. Great job!! Hope you're feeling better soon, too.

PamPSM644
12-03-2004, 10:23 AM
:cheer: Wonderful! Don't you feel proud? 50lbs is a lot.You'll notice so many improvements in your life.I'm also a 50 and what a change it's made for me. :dancer:

tkdkathy
12-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Oh my goodness! 50 pounds is awesome! :dancer: I think every pound is a huge accomplishment. Thank you for the inspiration! I hope you are feeling better soon. Keep up the good work! Do you mind sharing what you are doing to lose? Thanks.

djs06
12-03-2004, 11:20 AM
WOW!! Jennifer, that's fantastic! :bravo:

Jillegal
12-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Good for you, Jennifer! I'm so proud of you!! :)

boiaby
12-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Please donít undervalue the significance of your accomplishment. No matter what others may or may not have done, this is HUGE! I mean 50 pounds, that is outstanding! You are doing so great and we are all so proud of you. Keep it up, and I hope you feel better soon!

Beverly

howie6267
12-03-2004, 11:59 AM
WOOOO HOOOOO 50lbs THAT IS AWSOME!

That is always a great one to reach. 50 seems like so much more than 49. :)

barbygirl43
12-03-2004, 01:05 PM
That is so great!!! What an accomplishment. I agree that 50 pounds is a big deal. Just think where you'd be at if you still had those 50 pounds on you. Go to the feed store (or wal-mart) and grab up one of those 50 pound bags and carry it around for about 5 minutes. That's always a good dose of reality to remind you that you have come a LLLLLOOONNNGGG way.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Sandi
12-03-2004, 01:23 PM
WOW!!! 50 lbs!!! What an amazing job!! 50 lbs is no small feat. Congratulations!!!! Do you have pictures???

Feel better soon!!

teapotdynamo
12-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Sandi -- I don't have a new full-body pic, but I'm hoping to have hubby take some this weekend. I think you can tell the MOST in my face, but judging from the reactions I got over Thanksgiving, you can probably tell all over :D .

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I'm really so excited, even though I have lots left to go!

lessofsarahtolove
12-03-2004, 03:48 PM
JENNIFER LOST 50 POUNDS!!!

Jennifer, I'm so proud of you, I can hardly stand it!! You are doing SOOOOOOOOOOO beautifully, and you have earned my undying respect, my friend. You dropped each one of those fifty freaking pounds from **** through sweat, discipline, and consistency. You've won this success through focus and motivation, and no small faith in yourself.

You're strong, you're brave, and you're resilient.

And you're one **** of a nice woman, Jennifer. I'm sincerely ecstatic for you. Yay!!! :cp:

:cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb:

teapotdynamo
12-03-2004, 04:38 PM
Stop stop stop! I'm blushing!!!! :o

Kathy, I don't have time right now, but I will try to write a little something up later about what I'm doing. I will say this: it ain't rocket science (which begs the question -- why didn't I do it before???) I've tried to keep it fairly simple & use my own little made-up "plan."

More later!

Sheila53
12-03-2004, 04:42 PM
What a fantastic accomplishment!! Way to go! :cp:

K8-EEE
12-03-2004, 05:32 PM
She's a brick....HOWSE>>> I used to love that song! CONGRATS AND THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION!

glynne
12-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Way to go Jennifer ~ I am happy for you!

melsfolly
12-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Congratulations Jennifer!

tkdkathy
12-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Thanks, Jennifer. I'll watch for it. I am doing this using my own ideas, too, but it always helps me to see how someone else succeeded. Congratulations, again!:cp:

tolose85
12-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Congratulations.. That is an excellent accomplishment.. You should be very proud!! I am certainly proud of you! Keep up the good work!!

Annie-Rose
12-04-2004, 03:05 AM
Thaty is excellent - well done!!!!!!!

teapotdynamo
12-04-2004, 10:43 AM
In case anyone is interested, I've posted before/during pics on the Progress Pics thread.

glynne
12-04-2004, 11:17 AM
Saw your pictures Jennifer ~ super job ~ you're looking great. I'm glad for you. I hope to be where you are someday.

seashell
12-04-2004, 02:00 PM
You go girlfirend! 50 pounds is fantastic! You should be so proud of yourself. Here's to the next 50! :hat: :hat: :hat:

midwife
12-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Congratulations! Your pictures are amazing! Way to go!!!

Tammy32
12-04-2004, 09:16 PM
Jennifer you can see a big difference in your before and after pics and not just in your face. 50 pounds lost is very big milestone!! Your motivation is excellent and I have no doubts that you will have no problems with your continuing weight loss. :) :)

teapotdynamo
12-05-2004, 10:50 AM
Thanks again, everybody! You guys are the best! :thanks:

Kathy, I'm finally getting around to explaining my plan. The short version is that I've come to understand the wisdom of "Calories in, calories out." For years I dismissed the idea that dieting is really as simple as expending more than you take in, but that's mainly because I didn't know what I was taking in or expending. I'm a big believer in logging my food now, and I use a program called Diet Power to track calories as well as the macronutrients -- fat, protein, and carbohydrates, which I try to keep balanced in a ratio of 30-30-30 (I know other people have had success keeping the fat % lower, but I struggle to keep it that low!). I don't have a reduced carbs plan per se, but I have replaced "white" carbs with thier higher-fiber, whole grain "brown" equivalents. I also try to space out my 1300-1800 daily calories so I can eat small meals or snacks (fruit, yogurt, chicken breast, tuna) all day long and don't get hungry. One final thing I do that I know isn't optimal is to save more calories for dinner than for the rest of the day (i.e., not save only a third of my calories for dinner). I have learned that dinnertime is when I tend to overeat (partially because my husband isn't dieting and partially because we live in the city and tend to get takeout more than we should), and if I don't save enough calories, I'm over for the day. It's an adjustment that isn't ideal, but it works for me.

The other side of the equation is exercise, and I do it at the gym 6 times a week. I do at least 30 minutes of cardio, but I've worked up to 45 or 60 for most days. I have also added lots of strength training to my routine, lifting heavy weights several times a week (I'm convinced this has been a KEY to my weight loss because I believe it has boosted my metabolism -- and it's fun to feel my new muscles emerging as the fat comes off around them :lol: !)

Although I love exercise and know the gains to my health have been stunning (my resting heart rate is like that of a runner's now, and that's while I'm still technically obese!), I also have learned the limitations of exercise for weight loss; while exercise is very helpful to complement a sensible reduced-calorie eating plan, it won't replace it. When I first started, I didn't make any changes to my diet but exercised and found that while I lost a little weight, I lost it *very* slowly. As soon as I put the pieces together, I was surprised how much more quickly the pounds came off.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound pat when I say that weight loss is simple. While I believe the actual formula is simple, my brain is the big variable. Even though I know what works, sometimes convincing myself to DO those things is the hard part, like when I just don't feel like getting up in the morning to shuffle off to the gym all bleary-eyed or I don't feel like eating a tuna whole-wheat wrap instead of pizza. I've learned that the head part is the hard part, and it probably always will be, even when I'm trying to maintain.

Hope this has been helpful. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask me!

SuchAPrettyFace
12-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Late to the party, but I still wanted to say you look amazing & you go girl!!! :) :cheers:

tkdkathy
12-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Thank you so much for taking time to let me know how you did it :). I had the WORST day ever yesterday---I am about to post about it, but your message to me about how you did it was a real encouragement. Like maybe I won't give up :(. I am finding that exercise alone is not enough, also. I think it has allowed me to stop gaining and to lose a tiny bit. But I need to keep working on changing my eating habits, too. I hope you are feeling better, and thank you again for helping me to keep the faith.

Br00klyn
12-13-2004, 12:43 AM
Jennifer! Thats fantistic! GOOD FOR YOU! :bravo: What a wonderful xmas gift to yourself! :D

dharmaspell
12-15-2004, 07:50 PM
I am soooooo proud of you Jennifer. What an accomplishment. That's fifty pounds gone *bye bye* due to your persistence and committment. Hope you went out and got some new clothes for your new bod!
:high: :dancer: :dance: :bravo: :hat:

frenchiepolarbear
12-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Wow! Congrats..... :bravo:

everybody, sing along this Joe Cocker song

You are so beautiful toooo me
You are so beautiful tooooo meeeeeeeee!