Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 01:14 AM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 yr old #37

G'day all,

New thread before the weekend.

Of all the apartments, we would have to be next door to someone who has a penchant for headbanging music

I am trying out some lemon chicken tonight, hope it is as nice as the picture!

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-03-2004, 07:08 AM   #2  

Morning,

I never did get back here after my oven was calling me the other day. Just a quick post-I am leaving in an hour for my annual Brown County, Indiana trip with my wicked women friends.

Ann so glad to hear that each day is better and you can go to church Sunday. I love the church we go to in Brown County. It is surrounded by woods and has lots of windows so you can see outside. Very peaceful.

Lily enjoy being on the other side of WW now. You worked so long for them that I am sure it must feel different to be on that side. How was your winery weekend?

Karen I bet you will have to work harder on that old bike. That is probably a good thing. Someone just gave me an airdyne or whatever they are called. My legs get tired after 5 minutes. I am trying to work on it a little longer every day. We are thinking of getting bikes in the spring and going on some of the bike trails around here.

Trudy give Slavika a hug from me. It is wonderful that she has friends like you.

Slavika I was awake thinking of you last night. You are in my prayers.

Glenda how is everything going with you? Got all your shopping done?

We are stopping at an outlet mall on our way there today. I like to look but don't really buy much cause it is too far to go to return if it isn't right. Some of them go hog wild-I don't know how they get it all home. Have to be on my best behavior eating wise cause there is always way too much food. I had to bring an appetizer-didn't want to bring anything big space wise in the car or anything that had to be hot or cold. Trader Joe's opened here last week so I went there and picked up a few things.

Love to all,
Old 12-03-2004, 10:26 AM   #3  
Fun Blonde

Guys, I am about halfway done with my shopping, trying to buy something every payday for awhile, just running out of paydays. Ain't it always the same! Still going to the chiropractor and massage therapist. Last night I felt so bad (neck) going to the massage lady, but felt so relaxed when I left. Maybe this really is necessary. Wrecks when young and wrecks when old--very different.

Slavika, you didn't totally have to 'fess up on what you were eating at the mall. I believe we are all basically emotional eaters. I used to be an emotional smoker. Just trying to control my binge eating in the face of stress is a major thing in my life, but we don't always succeed. I am glad it is better for you now. The shock and uncertainty are always so bad, but once you get a plan, you can focus on that plan. Just know there are LOTS of prayers going up for you all. Thank God for friends like Trudy!

Anne, glad to know you are getting better every single day. Looking into the future we get impatient, but when you look backward, you know how far you have come. This is a good part of being retired in that you can take your time. When I had those cancer surgeries, I knew I had 5-6 weeks. Always came back to work in a stooped position and had scoped out every single place I could lay my head down.

Maria, headbanger music? I am so sorry. Do you think it could help to talk to these neighbors, before you lose your mind? Glad you are trying new recipes and the low-fat kind. I have felt so sluggish with this stupid back-neck I do good to find a restaurant after work. So glad you don't have to think about Indonesia.

Peggy, bicycling sounds like such fun. I know you will enjoy your trip with your wicked women. At our age wicked women are so wicked, staying up until 11 even--maybe.

Lily, enjoy the leisure!

Tis the season! Enjoy!
Glenda
Old 12-03-2004, 04:05 PM   #4  

G'day all,

Beautiful sunny day here today. DH has decided to go for a 7 km walk , all I can say is 'Good Luck'!! We did a lot of walking last weekend and I still am nursing some of the blisters I got then

Peggy hope you have a great time with your lady friends.

Glenda I was talking to my sister about you yesterday...she had a bad fall and hurt her wrist (not broken). She said she just felt sore all over yesterday and quite unwell. I think I was right in telling her that you initially felt OK after your little bingle but that a day or so after you got very 'achy'. It is funny (annoying) how that happens. I hope you soon can have a massage for the sheer joy of it not because of your aches and pains.

I think you are very right in what you said to Slavika, it is the uncertainty that is very stressful but once there is a plan in place you somehow cope and feel good about striving to stick to the plan.

Ann I know how important your church is to you so I can imagine what a big milestone it is for you to be able to attend on Sunday.
Before you know it, you will be driving again and everything will be back to normal. We certainly are very resillient!

My neighbours had a quite night last night it makes me very happy that I have a little house waiting for me at home! I don't know what possesed us (even if it was for only 5 minutes )to consider an apartment

Have a great weekend all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-03-2004, 11:56 PM   #5  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Sorry to hear about the Music. It is annoying Im sure. Yumm Lemon Chicken! Share the recipe if it was good.

Peggy: The B&B was wonderful!!!!!!!! It was to dark to take pictures. But the Shower...... Oh my. It was huge! You could Turn on the Normal Shower. Then it had another Shower that you could turn on and it was like being in a Water fall Soooooooooo wonderful! Could of Stayed in there all day!
We only went to 4 Winerys. Did 2 on Friday and 2 on Sunday. Sat We went to a Christmas tree Farm and I bought a Wreath for the door. Very Pretty. Then we took a drive. It was raining but the area is very pretty. Stopped in some small towns and looked around.
Eat Lots of good food for dinner. And the Breakfast they made at the Inn was very nice. Both days she had fresh fruit and some kinda of Egg Fritta.
Enjoy your trip with the Wicked Women

Slavika: A raisin Scone???????? Oh My I would never eat that. But only cuz I hate raisin's. You would catch me eating something else You cant give up everything. You need to live and enjoy!
There is no need For an explanation. We all do this. Like I said you still need to live and enjoy. Its Life.

Glenda: Im done done done. But its me who shops the week before Thanksgiving to get it done. It was bad this year to. Never seen it like this. Might have to take another time off. Seems like everyone else had the same Idea as me. Still need to decorate the tree. Maybe tomorrow. Hubby is gone for work and its really not fun decorating by yourself so I might wait til next weekend.

Last edited by LilyG; 12-04-2004 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:48 AM   #6  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Our son got back late Thursday night from New York and was here yesterday morning to see us. My DH had a hard time when our son walked in but he hugged his Dad and told him we would get through this. I made us all hot chocolate and we talked. Our son had explained to our grandchildren that their Papa was sick and might be sick for a long time and that the family trip to Maui this winter was "postponed". He explained to them that right now we had to focus on getting Papa better and that family was much more important then winter vacations to Maui. He told them that he would arrange a different little holiday for them this winter and when Papa was better we would all go to Maui.
The children were off school yesterday and our DIL and grandchildren came here around 1:00 to bake shortbread cookies and to watch a video with their Papa. I thought the children would be really upset that the trip was postponed......but they sure didn't show it. The Princess walked into the house and hugged me and whispered that she was sorry her Papa was sick and she knew the trip was off but she said, "I'm ok with that Baba, but very sad about Papa". Our grandson, being a little bit older (all of 11) was as sweet as could be to his granddad. Several times during the afternoon he would give his Papa a hug and he doesn't give away those hugs to often.
We still have not heard anything from the oncologist but we are going to try to keep our lives as "normal" as we can. We always have Christmas Eve for the WHOLE family and we are planning on doing it this year. Both my DIL and SIL have offered but DH wants us to have as usual.
Lily it sounds like you had a wonderful time while you were away. I'm glad that you are content being a member at WW and not working at the meetings.
Maria what a wonderful view you have from your apartment....too bad about the neighbours and their music.
Peggy I hope you have a wonderful time with your friends. You always do, so I'm sure you will this year too.
Ann it's just wonderful that you are doing so well. I hope that soon they will solve your DH problem.
Glenda sorry your neck is still giving you trouble. My DIL neck still bothers her from time to time since her car accident.
Trudy I know you are still having some computer problems and trouble with some of your programs and wish you still had Windows 98...
I know my computer is getting old but I thought maybe I would wait for awhile and see what the NEXT wonderful computer was like before buying one.
I hope you all have a great weekend. DH and I will try and get out today and do a couple of errands and maybe have lunch somewhere.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:38 PM   #7  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi

Slavika I always said your son was a class act. You all will have a wonderful Maui vacation once your DH recovers, and he will. Your loving family came through just as I thought they would. Having your traditional Christmas Eve at your home is just what your DH is going to need, surrounded by his family. You always decorate your home so beautifully for Christmas. It will also help to keep your mind off all those things we tend to dwell on.

I thought I was done with my Christmas shopping, but we have decided that 2 of the little gifts we bought our just aren't nice enough, so back to the mall we go. Maybe we will venture out this afternoon. My DH usually balks at any mention of a mall on the weekend, but he brought the subject up himself.

It rained yesterday and overnight the temp dropped and so we have ice out there. Winter here is not for the faint of heart..

It sure was nice to read all the posts from my friends. Have a great weekend everyone... .........
Old 12-04-2004, 07:15 PM   #8  

Hi all sorry I've been MIA. Been trying to get the house decorated inside and out. Also had to do some weekly shopping. Been buy all day again and now i'm just plain tired. after dinner i talked DH into taking a walk. We get to enjoy all the lights displays in the park. I did get our tree up today all that is left is some lights to go out side on the holly bushes and the big round pine kind of bushes we have on either side of the house( can you tell I'm new at this plant business stuff ) and a decoration for the side door. Then we are going to get some baking done. It sure is a busy time. My son called yesterday with his flight info . He an His wife fly in on the 21st. and have to leave until the 26th. The other son and his family will be driving down and arrive here on the 19th. Many things going on

Tomorrow night the ladies chorus(from the park) is doing there Christmas concert. We are planning to go.

Ann glad you are getting better. Not being able to drive is like cutting off ones legs!

Maria glad your neightbors were quiet lastnight.

Peggy be sure to fill us all in on your weekend.

Glenda I had an accident years ago and my poor neck has never been the same. I take Aleive when it starts in.

Trudy I'm glad you are there for Slavika and her family. Sometimes I would like to smash my computer. i know like Slavika Ineed a ne one.

Slavika. I agree that you should just go on with life as much as you can. DH will have good days and some not so good but it will help knowing the rest of the world is still OK.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:06 PM   #9  
Member Florida Chick

Default Progress again

Raise the flag!!! Not only did we go to church with our neighbors, but to lunch afterward, and after this message then it will be nap time. Every day is a new day of feeling stronger.

Slavika: You have a wonderful family, and having your usual Christmas Eve will be good for everyone. And in the middle of the night, when you are having a problem with sleep, just remember that we are all praying for you and your DH and God is in control. Our sermon today dealt with Trust, and boy is that important in difficult times.

Trudy: Please give Slavika a hug from me. It is so great that you two are so close. Good friends are so important.

Peggy: Hope your trip was a lot of fun and that you managed to hold the line with the shopping. A 'girls only' trip is great fun.

Glenda: Hope your neck and other aches are getting better. Massages are so wonderful. I can hardly wait until I can go again. but I know that I have to be able to lay on my stomach, so that will be a while yet.

Maria: Sorry you have such loud music so close by. You may have to invest in some ear plugs, if they can't be persuaded nicely to keep it down.

Lily: Your winery trip sounds like great fun. Did you get to discover any great new wines that you hadn't tasted before? I think I would surely like the shower you described.

Karen: Sound like you are really busy. That is what retirement is all about. You get to do all the stuff there was no time for before. We do have an appointment in Plant City in January, so maybe this time we will get to have lunch. Will tell you more later.

You are all so busy with decorating, and shopping. We may get a few decorations up, but shopping is another thing all together. I think that this is going to be a Christmas where we don't do much. I'll feel I've accomplished a lot if I get cards done. I know our family will understand, and if they don't I guess that is just too bad- it will be their problem to sort out.

Now it is nap time. See you tomorrow. Ann
Old 12-05-2004, 05:39 PM   #10  

G'day all,

You are a champion Ann well done on your continued progress. You must be feeling very pleased with yourself and so you should!
Keep up the good work.

Slavika it must gladden the heart to see your family rally around at this time. Your grandchildren sound delightful, sensitive children. How special your next holiday will be when this is all under control.
You WILL have a lovely christmas and 2005 will be as you would like it to be.

Trudy I am glad you are there keeping an eye on Slavika, eating a scone in the mall indeed
I think men THINK they have to say they hate shopping but if the truth is known most of them quite enjoy a bit of a browse around.
DH and myself went to the Sydney markets yesterday (his suggestion ), I have never seen anything quite like it, it was huge with so many bargains!
Our son-in-law is a bit of a Mini Minor (the car) freak. He had one when he was single so whenever we are out and about and we spot a model of a mini we buy it. Yesterday we saw a remote control mini, the same colour as his and it was $90! Which is a lot but for a remote control car and a bit of fun, peanuts! DH and I have been playing with it in our apartment, my son in law is just going to love it! Cannot wait to give it to him and see his face.
I am shocking keeping secrets but I am under the threat of death (or worse) if I give this secret away before Xmas!

KAren your decorations sound lovely but what a lot of work It makes me sound quite lazy.
I bet your are looking forward to all your family joining you, I cannot wait for our dd to get here on the 23rd.

Lily the lemon chicken was OK but not to make again
The B&B sounds great, a shower as a waterfall

As we will be spending New Year's Eve here in Sydney and the fireworks on the bridge are quite something, (I believe they are seen all over the world) we thought we would see if we could perhaps be ON the harbour and have dinner on a boat. Well we thought it would cost a bit but were not prepared for the cost of $700 per person.
The cheapest we were able to find was $550 per person and that one was booked out. We will now be joining the crowd, have both our mobile (cell) phones charged up in case we loose one and other in the crowd.
I am sure we will enjoy the spectacle.

Hope you are all having a great day......

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-05-2004, 05:39 PM   #11  

Hi All,

Had a fun weekend. After all rain and gloom the sun came out and it was absolutely beautiful. You wouldn't have thought it was December. I don't know how some of those girls can shop so much. We have show and tell in the evening after shopping - I think I missed half the stuff they found and bought. I just bought a few things and a couple of baby items for the baby to be. Afraid to buy too much yet. We played bunco in the evening. It was fun-never played it before. You sure don't have to think when you are playing. As usual there was way too much food. 2 are in charge of the evening meal and 2 for the breakfasts. It is interesting to see what they fix. The ones in charge did something different this year. We had to hold hands and fo around in a circle and tell something about the one on your right. Got sorta tearful. Someone hid all the coffee cakes and it was a hunt to find them. We have lunch in town at the Artists Colony. Think it is www.artistscolonyinn.com Last year one of the gals took a close up of our face. Then they cut it apart this year and put the eyes on one board, the noses and mouths on 2 other ones. We had to guess who they belonged to. Wasn't easy.

Slavika what great grandkids you have. I am glad that you are doing what you always do during the holidays.

Anne glad you got to church finally. Had to make you feel good to be getting back to your normal routine.

Lily what fun your trip was.

Karen glad your kids are coming to celebrate your first Christmas in Florida. You will learn all about those plants.

Glenda I don't even think I am halfway finished shopping. And it is getting closer.

Trudy I think you just like to shop. Bet the little angel will be fun this Christmas.

Maria hope you headbangers get tired soon. I would be bonkers. Your view is wonderful.

I am tired.

Last edited by painter5; 12-05-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:10 AM   #12  
Life Time 2001

The shower was like being in Hawaii Course I never did a Waterfall in Hawaii. But thats what it reminded me of.

Slavika: I do hope they find out whats going on with your DH. Those little ones sure are special to understand. They are to precious. You have a great family. Your Traditional Christmas is just what he needs!

Trudy: Im sure the gifts you bought Angel were very nice.
Its been raining here to. But thank goodness we dont get Ice!

Ann: So glad you are getting better and Better! Yep tried 2 new Winerys. There are so many we could spend days there. But I cant drink that much So We do try to go to a new one each time we go.

Maria: Sorry the lemon Chicken didnt come out right. I have done that with several recipes. I try to keep things frozen for days thats this happens. Doesnt Happen alot. I hate finding bad recipes. I made a Southwest Chicken Casserole a week ago and it was really good. But to reheat was a Nightmare.
I need to reheat. Recipes make to much for DH and me. And I like to make the whole thing so I have and easy dinner some other time.

Boss is here this week so wont be around. 3 days of him What to do what to do? I like him just dont need to spend 3 days with him :LOL: He works in Washington and comes 2 times a year to check up on us.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:31 PM   #13  
Fun Blonde

Omygosh! $700!!!! Well, that would be an easy choice! Who would spend that much, even if it is so wonderful!

Slavika, I second Trudy's words that your family is a class act. When the kids act so grown up, it is just a sure sign that they love Papa so much. You know they had to be disappointed, but realized quickly what was important. I am so happy your husband has such a wonderful supportive group. He will rely on you a lot. And happy you are having a normal Christmas. Everything should be just as normal as possible. You are all so blessed in so many ways. One thing I used to think was how lucky I was to be born now when there are treatments for illnesses like this. My "wonder drug" was approved just before I did chemo.

Dh and I went to OKC yesterday to eat out and go to the movie. Was just the most wonderful day. We ate at Cracker Barrel and saw the "Finding Neverland" movie with Johnny Depp. It was so good. Then we did a little shopping. On the way home our son called and said that Makenzie fell and would not walk after that. They took her to the ER and found no broken bones, so she may have a sprained ankle. Just scared them to death, as you can imagine.

Ann, so glad to know you are this much better.
Glenda
Old 12-07-2004, 04:52 AM   #14  
Ash

Default Hello Girls from Australia.

Hello , here I am again.

I decided to get back online again so my thoughts turned to you. I have been reading all your posts and I do like the sound of your chicken recipe Maria. Pease post it.

I have been going downhill since I last talked to you and am now and the weather has been very humid and that I don't like but them's the breaks.

Well girls it is great to to talk with you again.

God Bless.

Ash/Jenye.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:52 PM   #15  

G'day all,

Peggy Sounds like you had another great trip with your friends. That does sound like a bit of a tearjerker the circle bit. I just cannot cope with that sort of thing as nice as the thought behind it is. I am just pathetic

Lily I usually half the recipe, so many recipes are not nice once they have been frozen and reheated. I have bought recipe books for 2 but the recipes that I fancy are always in the wrong book
Hope you survived your boss' visit, I am sure he was impressed with your work.

Glenda to think you are spending $700 per person on a dinner and then have to count the points as well
Almost obscene that these dinners are now booked out, there must be a lot of people out there with too much money.
There have been complaints that the city of Sydney does not look festive enough. The Lord Mayor was interviewed and she said that the city council has so far spend $900 000 on the decorations in the city.
They obviously don't do what the 'normal' person does, recycle the decorations and perhaps buy a new little bauble once a year (preferably in the Xmas sales )

Jeney sorry to hear you have not been well. As far as the lemon chicken recipe, it was pretty ordinary, not worth passing the recipe on.
However you will find some great recipes on the Womens Weekly website
http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/aww/recipes/
Strange web address but it works!

I spent the last few days taking photo's and choosing the nices one and have made all my own xmas cards, they have turned out well and it has kept me amused for a few days.
I really enjoy listening to the radio here and have the radio on all day whilst I am fiddling around 'doing' things, I learn a lot about what is going on in ol' Sydney town.
DH had some great news, he received a rather large bonus, he is over the moon, to be recognised for all the work he has done and to be rewarded in this way. I am thrilled that we can share some of this little windfall with our children, they will get a very pleasant surprise this Xmas.

Hello to Slavika, Trudy, Ann and Karen I hope you are doing well.

Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread