Support Groups - Rears in Gear - It's the END of the Year!

RavenToy
11-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Holy cow. Where the heck did 2004 go? :yikes:

Alright, well - I'm not letting this year go out with a whimper, dangnabit. I'm going to take this fight all the way to the bitter end. ;)

I know there's no way I can get to this year's lowest weight. I wanted to, but for whatever reason, I haven't been able to find that groove. Right now my whole thing is drink 3 bottles of water a day, and treadmill three times a week. That's it. I just want to start finding my way back to the path I was on at the beginning of this year. I want to start out 2005 already on the way to goal. I do NOT want to hit 45 overweight. I want to hit 45 in the 130s. I need to find my way back to when working out wasn't even something I thought about, it was just something I did. Just like taking a shower or doing the laundry. It wasn't negotiable, it wasn't even a question. I just did it like I did anything else on a daily basis.

Things got out of balance. And finding the balance again has been more difficult than I could have imagined it would be. So back to the very basic basics. Back to the beginning again. Again. Always again. But I just will not give up, dammit. I know I can do this. It's just a bit more of a puzzle than I expected, a little more of a challenge, that's all.

Red - I'm here, I know this has been a tough year for all of us. Some of us, like Happy and you, are still going through so much. I know I'm having to rearrange my career goals because of money, but that's ok. I'll still get there. I think there are times when we all just have to keep breathing and keep putting one foot in front of the other. And maybe we have to take a few minutes to look hard at our lives and figure out our priorities, and how much we can truly handle. *warm hug* I hope things are better for you this week.

Jolly - I'm concerned about you. Perhaps don't even worry about riding right now, just go out there and spend time hugging your horse. Forget about what you "should" do and just remember we own our horses because we love them, because we find a great deal of comfort in simply being around them and breathing in their smell and letting their warmth seep into us when we lean against them. I know there are times when Arashi seems so much like my anchor to reality. I can go out to the stable and just stand in the pasture next to him and close my eyes and listen to him eating hay or crunching up the carrot I just gave him and let the world fade away for a few minutes. He has given me the gift of sanity in times that truly begged me to lose my mind. He is the calming spirit in the middle of life's storms.

Happy - I know life must be a madhouse for you right now. I hope you had a peaceful thanksgiving, if nothing else. :)

Chachee - It's wonderful that your in-laws affirmed what you already knew. That you've made wonderful changes, that what you're doing is working. It's good for me to hear that, too. It reminds me that I was on the right road, I just got sidetracked.

This time of year is stressful for most people in so many different ways. I hope each and every one of us has some time to reflect on the changes we've made, the blessings in our lives, and what we hope we can accomplish in the coming year. I hope this month brings peace for all of us, even if it's just for a little while.

Chachee
11-30-2004, 01:15 PM
Hi Raven!

I'm a bit sidetracked also, but feeling so much better the end of this year than last year. I know next year at this time I'll look back and say, "Oh, man, why did I think it was so hard? Why couldn't I have done this in 2004?". It's incentive....I just know it.

My goals are basic for the rest of this month also. Water, exercise at least three times a week, try to not go overboard on sweets. That's it.

I was thinking of a name for our new thread next year. What about Back to Basics? Seems we all need some of that! Just a thought.

Lets have a great month and enjoy the holiday. For tomorrow...we diet! :)

Hi to everyone, both here now and ones we have lost along the way.

Chach

RavenToy
12-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Heyyyyy Chachee :D

Back to Basics sounds like a grand name, because you're right... it seems like we're all trying to get back to where we were doing so well. And it does seem to require just getting back to a good starting point, or as we say in horse training, go back to where you're getting a yes answer.

I like that. :)

Yesterday was good on food and water for a change. I overslept this morning so no treadmilling. Bad Marian. Do it tomorrow.

I didn't eat the planned pork chop, had a chicken quesadilla instead, but didn't worry about dessert for the first time in about a zillion years, it seems like! Yay! I will take that as a good thing.

I'm not even weighing myself at this point. I'm scared to get *near* the scale! :lol: Tonight is horse night and trying to find World of Warcraft in the stores. Yep, I'm a gaming nerd. *sigh* Horses and Wow. My life in a nutshell. ;)

All in all a better start to this month!

Chachee
12-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Hey Raven,

Guess we are it for awhile.

Didn't walk the treadmill this morning. Was a bit of an oversleeper also. I did a lot of exercising last night with running around, so it's okay.

Food was good yesterday. Resisted the pizza at Costco and had 1/4 of a pretzel and a big huge salad. Had the leftover salad for lunch today and some baked chips. Tonight I am making dinner before the rest of the grocery shopping. Should be a good day.

Have the Christmas party this weekend. I'll probably be so tired from preparing for it I won't want to eat a whole lot! I'm making healthy dishes, anyway, so I'll be good with anything I make!

I love that you are a gamer. Now when I sit down and play my Gamecube I won't feel so bad! Strength in numbers, sistah!

I'm glad you liked the suggestion for next year's thread. Just felt kinda right.

Happy Wednesday!

Chach

happy2bme
12-02-2004, 10:18 AM
Hey guys! One more month - just hang in there 1 more month and I will be back to posting regularly again. We had a nice Thanksgiving and then flew back to Memphis on Saturday for one last house hunt. We bought a house. It's a beauty. I fell in love with it when we were down there 2 weeks ago but hubbie was a little leary of it being a bit more than he thought we needed. But after we looked at about 30 more houses and compared them all, this wasn't quite the overkill he first thought. Part of the issue is that I didn't want to be stuck in traffic for 3 hours a day so that meant moving closer to the office where homes are older, need a bit of updating here and there and the area is a bit pricier. BUT on the other hand, it's a half acre lot, lots of trees and PRIVACY which we didn't find anywhere else and the updates we will put in will just increase the equity in the house. Now if we can only hang on to our jobs for the next 10 years. That's the scariest part of all... and did I mention that the house has a gorgeous built in pool out back? I just LOVE this house. The sale is contingient on a home inspection happening today - we have a few concerns, just want to make sure there's no big ticket problems. If all goes well, we'll be driving down on the 30th and picking up the keys New Year's Eve.

Between the sale of one house and the purchase of another and a job and everything in between, I've been constantly on the run. Yesterday the phone rang no less than 25 times - I was ready to toss the receiver outside already.

I am trying to at least improve my eating but that too is proving to be a challenge. Was walking through Lowe's Home Improvement store over the weekend looking at some bath stuff for remodelling projects and I caught sight of my big caboose in the mirrored shower doors. I really, really, REALLY have to get on the bandwagon full speed starting Jan 1. We have a big enough bonus room for all the exercise equipment and we both agreed that after the bedroom, that's the next room to get set up.

Even though it's monstrously busy for all of you, it's good to see that you are still clinging to the cause, even if it's just by the fingertips. Please, please, please don't let the thread die. I promise I'll be back in earnest as soon as we have cable Internet set up at the new house. Will still be peeking in from time to time but probably only posting once a week.

Take care ladies and I'm saying a few prayers that all goes well with your tests next week Jolly. :crossed:

Oh and I really like the Back to Basics theme for next year too. Sometimes when you fall on the floor you have to crawl before you can run again. I do better myself incorporating and building on little goals over time.

Chachee
12-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi Happy! Sounds like a busy life for you also! Get that pool ready for us...we'll be by sometime next year!

I got on the treadmill this morning. Just when I almost talked myself into stopping, I ended up taking it up a notch and started jogging. I jogged 10 good minutes and walked the other 25. Felt good to have sore muscles. Felt good to push myself and not just do what I am used to doing. It just felt good.

I'm off work tomorrow, and busy all weekend long. I'll be back on Monday, but wanted to say happy Thursday and maybe our friends will rejoin us soon!

Chach

luckycharm
12-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi everyone

Just popping in to let everyone know I am stilll here.

We are in the process of moving and fixing fences to move the horses and such.

I will try and get our computer set up and pop in soon.

Miss you all lots.

Kathy

jollygirl
12-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Hey all. Congrats on the houses for Happy and Lucky. Envious.

I like Back to Basics. Yeah, I need to get there too.

This week has been crazy. I had a last minute new client. I don't know what end is up. Haven't been to the barn. Haven't worked out. ATe badly, and on the run. Of course, it has kept me from fretting about the tests.

I need to get back to basics. I too am afraid to see where I am at right now. I think, though, that if I get off my butt, and do the things I need to, that I CAN get back to my lowest weight of the year. And have a good start for 2005.

Will try to post more, now that things have slowed down a bit. I am on call this weekend, though. Take care all.

RavenToy
12-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Lucky - So glad to see you stick your nose in here even just to let us know things are going ok. I'm dying to hear details about the new place, see pictures, and find out how the horses are doing there!

Happy - I can't even imagine how busy you must be. Try to remember to breathe, ok?? Your new home sounds lovely! A POOL!!! :eek: You luck dog, you! And pictures from you, too!

Jolly - I hope this weekend is a relatively quiet one for you. When it rains, it pours? How is Mr. Chance doing?

Chachee - Good for you!! :bravo: Obviously, I need to join you in the treadmilling. Did you get the treadmill traded in? Fixed?

Well, after a week of sparkling success at my first two baby steps of controlling my food intake and drinking my water.... I splatted on my face last night at Macaroni Grill. Penne Rustica and chocolate/espresso cheesecake. Ye olde BF is leaving for a week this morning, and last night we went out to dinner. My initial plan was to hit Chili's and get that caribbean salad, but ... it was cold out, and warm comfort food screamed out for my attention. Pasta. *sigh* Ah well, today is a new day.

I'm a weather weenie, and it's been getting into the 30s here in the evenings, too cold for me. It's only in the 50s during the day, which is STILL too cold for me. Mostly because I don't have any clothes that keep me warm - they're all designed to keep me cool. And I don't have the money to go spend on warm fuzzy things, either. So... I just get grumpy and suffer through it. ;) Intelligent, huh?

Ok .. better get ready to take BF to the airport. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

redballoon
12-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Heh people. How's it going? Everyone seems to be gone these days. I really need someone to talk to these days. . . Wow, think I'm getting sick.

Raven, how are you? Hope you can get back on a consistent track. Don't worry about falling off. At least you DID well the other day. That's one more day than if you hadn't!

Jolly, how are you doing? Any word on your health. I'm praying for you.

Chachee, happy, lucky, hi there and thanks for keeping the thread going. I'm not much help these days. But I'm starting up again I think. Posted on another thread trying to kick start my butt. I need a bit of success to get flying again. It's been crash and lie there for weeks (no months!) now. Let's hope I can get back making some progress in the right direction.

Am off to Hong Kong on Wednesday but plan to stop in here while I'm there.

Take care all and keep checking in even if just for a flyby. :grouphug:

happy2bme
12-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey Red, I see you're on right now... :wave:

redballoon
12-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Hi there, happy!!! Nice to see/hear/read???? you. I'm late out the door. Feel sick, feverish, cold coming on, probably why I was feeling so depressed, which really isn't like me. I can usually give myself a boot and get moving. . . I was going to blow off work today but it'll only eat into my paycheck so I've decided to go in and try to just lie low.

Oh heh, and congrats on your new house! Sounds beautiful.

Okay, gotta run. Ciao!! :wave:

happy2bme
12-05-2004, 09:07 PM
I'll be in the MAIN chat room if you want to talk... (http://www.3fatchicks.com/chat/) --- just click on the link

happy2bme
12-05-2004, 09:11 PM
ok, I'll catch up with you later.

New house is becoming more nightmare than dream. The home inspection revealed lots of not so obvious expensive repairs and updates that will be needed. We are in the process of negotiating now. I hate not knowing where we will live, especially since we are going to be homeless in 3 weeks.

Have some nice warm tea and an orange to feel better.

Hellos to the other chickies too.

happy2bme
12-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Ok, so forgive my lack of manners and I should catch up here...

Raven, had to laugh at you being a weather weenie. This past week as I was desperately scraping ice and snow off my car, I too was mumbling that I can't STAND any more of this stuff. We're had 2 fairly good snows so far and up to this point the most we get is a light dusting. I see it's a bit (but not really that much) warmer down your way - hope I won't turn into a weather weenie too. :lol3: Bummer on the no warm and fuzzy clothes there tho. Must be mighty brrrrr in shortie tops. I am trying to sort through my clothes to figure out what to bring short term. I AM taking the winter parka - they can laugh at me all they want. Hope you enjoyed the chocolate cheesecake but no more for the month :no: ok? So what are you going to do with a week to yourself?

Lucky, good to hear see you pop in. When exactly are you moving or has that occured already? We're out of here on the 30th.

Chachee - you are SO right about the goodness of pushing yourself. Good going on the treadmill. I am buying you a whistle and grey sweatshirt for Christmas so that you can get in my face come January and push push push (tweet, tweet, twwwweeeeeetttttt)!!!!

Prayers and crossed fingers and all good wishes for you this week Jolly :grouphug: hope all goes well with the tests.

Chachee can whistle at both of us from side to side - keep us all in line and get some waist bends in for herself at the same time.

I have a class this week - 20 mile drive, coming home in the DARK for a person who has bad night vision. EEEEEEKKKK. 5 days, 5 days, 5 days. I can do anything for 5 days. I am trying to pack my lunch so I eat healthy. Just hope I don't doze off in the afternoon. A hazard of sitting all day in one spot.

I am not making Christmas cookies this year. That's a good thing. I have a fiber optic tree and a fiber optic snowman. That's the 5 minute holiday decoration.

Oh and I'm bleaching my teeth among the other major dental work I'm having done. I figured since I stopped smoking (going on 8 months now) it made more sense to have it done. The good thing is that I have to wear the bleach trays over my teeth for at least 3 hours a day. Not sure I can handle them all night so I've been doing them in the evening. You can't eat or drink with them in so that's 3 hours of guanteed no nibbling. It also guarantees 3 hours of silence out of me because I lisp so badly with them in.

Merry Christh-muth all you fine ladeeths - hab a nithe eeb ning.

redballoon
12-06-2004, 05:34 AM
heh happy, sorry I couldn't talk with you in the chat room. I had posted and then run. Don't even know how the chat room works. Will have to figure that out. Just got home now. Good day as far as eating went. Have to do more work here now. Catch you later. . . .

jollygirl
12-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Hey all. Happy, I had to laugh at how you found the silver lining in the bleaching. One way to make sure you don't eat. Maybe I should try that.

Red, I hear you on the depressed thing. I have been so tired and sick the last few weeks that EVERYTHING seems to take too much energy. I can guarantee my eating will be PERFECT for the next 31 hours. I am on a clear liquid diet until after my test. At least I can have my caffeine. If I were on no food AND no soda for two days, someone would die. Or I would just decide that since the symptoms are gone, the test isn't worth it. I am also depressed about not finding a good part time job yet. I really need it soon to get my finances straight and get my Lasik surgery.

Lucky, I can't wait to hear more about your new place. Happy, I hope things work out for yours too.

Raven, Pony is actually doing well. We are working on the canter, and my seat issues.

Chachee- send Bat. I need him urgently. I need to lose 7 pounds to get to my lowest weight of the year. I think that will set me up nicely for 2005.

Oh well. Off to payroll. Talk to you all later.

Chachee
12-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Okay, here we go. We cannot let these next few weeks get all of us down. I hate the holidays just for the pure amount of crap food always laying around. My big challenge is to not eat more cookies than I make this coming weekend. Ugh. I know I can do it. Got up this morning, worked out, made a nice healthy breakfast, packed a nice healthy lunch and got my rear in gear. I had a very busy weekend and didn't resort to food to make me feel better or less tired! That is a good thing.

I'm sorry we are feeing a little "down in the dumps" lately, but we need to get those bad thoughts and feelings out of our heads. I know the first of the year is coming and I am already off to a good start with what I did this year. I feel so much better than I did last year at this time, and I know even next year will be better than that! I just gotta want it more than I do those sweet bites! And boy, oh boy, do I want it!

I have my check up tomorrow with my surgeon. Then off on Wednesday, as it's the in-laws last day here, then my son starts preschool on Thursday. I'm baking all weekend and then delivering the goodies on Monday. I'll keep a few of them around the house, but not too much!

Hi to all, even though I don't have time to address everyone individually. I hope things fall into place for you all and get geared up for the new Basic year!

Oh, and Jolly, Bat is on his way....

Happy MONDAY!!

Chach

jollygirl
12-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Chachee, I love your changing weight counter. So cute. You are right about a lot of things. I don't want to be a statistic. one of the majority that gain 5-10 pounds over the holidays. I want to get off the 8 pounds I have gained. Get back to my lowest weight of 2004. Reestablish good eating and working out habits. And really take off for 2005. I can do it. We all can do it.

Here's to us. To putting ourselves and our health first. To treating ourselves as good as we treat others. With as much care. Heck, a lot of times I treat my dogs better than I treat myself. So here's to us.

jollygirl
12-08-2004, 10:11 AM
Good morning all. Real quiet here. I hope everyone is doing well.

I had my test yesterday, and nothing serious was found. No treatment needed. Other than needing more fiber in my diet :( Hurray. I guess I was more worried about it than I realized. I feel so much more energized and raring to go today. I had been so tired and drained. I even made it to the gym this morning.

I hope everyone else is good, and posting soon. :wave:

jollygirl
12-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Helloooooooooo?

Helloooooooooo?

Still real quiet here. Well, on the plus side, I did make it to the gym today. I did 20 minutes of cardio, and 3 sets of lower body weights. My food choices are slowly improving, but I need to get a lot better if I want to make my lowest weight by the end of the year.

Where is everyone? How are houses, farms, jobs, etc coming? Weight loss efforts? Holiday preparations?

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Chachee
12-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Howdy all.

The in-laws are gone. My house is getting back to "normal" if it ever has been that way!

My son started preschool today. We visited again yesterday for two hours and he was able to eat lunch and play with the kids. It was good for all of us--a little easier to let go of his little hand knowing he knew kids there. Still tough, but he's so dang independent that it helps.

Baking this weekend for my annual Christmas cookies and gifts. Will end up with about 200 dozen cookies--about 10 different recipes. Will try to be good. The only thing that will really challenge me is my fudge. Pure unadulterated sugar! I'll try to only have one piece. What I usually try to do is get the cookies baked, cooled, and then into the tins and containers so I don't have any left over. I'm making over 15 containers, so it should be easy to get it out the door!

I'm happy things are good with your results, Jolly. Eat more fiber...hmmm...hello All Bran!

Well, not much else is going on. Hope everyone is well!

Chach

derrydaughter
12-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Hi guys, remember me? I've been out of it for a few weeks and missed you guys a bit! How are things?
I've been up to my ears in projects and just not taking time to be here, but I wish you all well and hope to have a few updates on how things are going.
I'm ok, haven't lost much more weight. I gained the last three weeks and am pretty upset with myself, but I am in control just the same. I think it's the holidays?
Linda

jollygirl
12-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Wow. POSTS! Good to hear from you Derry. Chachee, I hear you on the holiday cooking. I am making batches of English toffee this weekend to give to my staff. Yummmm. I just have to make sure I leave some for them.

Oh well. One day at a time.

ttfn

derrydaughter
12-10-2004, 08:04 AM
Hi again!
I've not started my holiday baking yet, which is really scaring me. I have a Christmas party to go to at my husband's office (yes, he's still working for the boss from ___) and I am really worrying about what kind of food will be there. I'm driving from NH to Boston to go there, so won't be drinking, at least - just diet soda! I hope there is some kind of "lite" food there for me. I'll be hungry unless I have something before leaving to go in there.... am thinking about a salad and chicken broth before leaving?
Will be working out and drinking tons of water today?
I keep wondering about Christmas traditional foods and why we (me included) definately have to make all this stuff, then I live in fear of eating it. I had a frank discussion with the family at dinner this week. I asked everyone to share with me what special foods they expected to have as part of their holiday and what was most important to them. If they didn't mention it, I don't think I'm going to make it!
Linda

jollygirl
12-10-2004, 10:36 AM
That's a really good idea - only making the special foods people mention. Just hope someone thinks to mention a main meat :lol: I am having my dad over on Christmas, and making MY favorites. I am also planning a family dinner in January. I have a stepsister who does not celebrate holidays, so we never see her on the main occasions family gets together. So, I am making all my Thanksgiving favorites, and cramming everyone over to my house.

Well, I did make it to the gym again today. EAting is still off. I really need to work on that. I also need to make a conscious effort to start journaling again. That helps me so much.

Have a good day all. Have a safe trip to Boston, Derry. And hope to hear from everyone soon.

Chachee
12-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Hello all.

Whew, one day down in the preschool books! He had a wonderful time and told me all kinds of stories about all the girls in his class. So neat that he is beginning this phase of his life and in such a great place.

Jolly: Good job on the gym. I kinda flubbed up this week and didn't do the treadmill, but I think I was just under too much stress with the inlaws here. Toffee, huh? That sounds good.

Linda: My tradition of baking cookies is also what I give out for a lot of gifts. So, it's not so much to keep and eat around the house. It's more like Combat Cooking--get it all done in two days and deliver it all the third day. I leave about two dozen goodies around the house for us, but we are usually burned out by the time the cookies leave.

We are having light/fat free chicken parmesan for Christmas dinner. I made a huge Turkey Day meal, so I'm not doing it at Christmas.

Alrighty, then, have a wonderful trip, Linda, and hi to everyone else.

Jolly, start your ovens!!!!!

Chach

jollygirl
12-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Hello all. Awfully quiet here. Everyone busy with holiday preparations??? I have had a nice weekend. Have all my gifts but one bought. This is way early for me. Working on cards tonight. Made some candy with my stepsister yesterday, and most of it is still here. Late night last night. I did not make it to the gym this morning, but I am going to do my yoga tape in a bit. So, sort of 50/50 for effort.

I hope everyone else is well. And that I hear more soon.

derrydaughter
12-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Hi guys!
Boston went well, but I did eat lots more than I should have, but with WW, that is what flex points are for! It was such a foggy and pouring rain night and a long ride like that was really hard, especially when I am not used to traffic and am not 100% sure of where I am heading!
I made my usual cheese balls that are tradition in our family each year at Christmas and they are tucked in the refrigerator waiting for when my family comes next Saturday and when we travel to my husband's side of the family. I will get to have them, but not as my own personal food and pig out, will share with a group each time and have a reasonable portion!
I have planned to cook a prime rib dinner next Saturday and will also have a reasonable portion of that! Will try to be a "good girl" and save tons of flex points for Saturday night and the following weekend, when it's the real Christmas - we're actually spending two weekend in a row of celebration - one with each side of the family.
On Christmas Eve, with just my own family, we are going to have fondue, which we usually have with sauteed artichoke hearts, baked potato and salad. We'll have a shrimp coctail beforehand and probably some wine. I'm just not going to worry about points on Christmas Eve!
Hoping that there are healthy choices at my in laws!
Linda

happy2bme
12-13-2004, 01:03 AM
Hey ladies,

Well on top of everything else that's going on in my life, I am now dealing with a strained back. I was in a class all this week and the chair was uncomfortable. The long commute home in the car didn't help and on Saturday I coughed slightly as I was walking from the car and the next thing I know I could not move. I was barely able to make it into the house and within 2 hours I had my husband take me to the emergency room. Why now when we have 3 weeks until the move? And I have more stuff than ever now that we are taking a short term apartment instead of moving right into a house. :rolleyes: Guess it's like the hubbie says, nothing much I can do but take it easy and not make things worse.

I'm glad I don't have time to make those infernal Christmas cookies as I surely don't need them nor could I resist them. As it is we are trying to empty out the house. I haven't even started Christmas shopping yet and next weekend is the last weekend before Christmas. I think it's definitely a year for gift certificates and I hope everyone understands. Will make it up next year.

I was supposed to do my cards this weekend too but seeing as how I can't sit for more than an hour at a time, that didn't get done either. We knew things were going well - perhaps too well up to this point. I just hope I am not starting a run of bad luck.

Good to hear that things turned out ok for you Jolly. Hands out of the toffee containers tho. :nono: I would have a hard time resisting sampling as I love toffee.

Linda, the sauteed artichoke hearts sound terrific. How do you make them? Good for you saving up on points for your various celebrations.

Chachee, did you get all your sewing projects completed?

Hellos to Red and Kathy and Raven. Keep the faith peoples, catch you on the other side...

derrydaughter
12-13-2004, 06:08 AM
Happy, so sorry to hear about your back! What poor timing. I have a series of back exercies that I need to do whenever this happens to me, as it will do about once every other year or so... they are put together by Prevention Magazine and if you want me to scan and e-mail the pages to you privately, I'd be glad to do that - that is, if the technophobe (me) can figure out the scanner! I'm really bad when it comes to this stuff! These exercizes, when done 2X a day, for me really get my back better more quickly. I have ended up exactly as you are, one time my cat jumped up on my bed and startled me just when I had woken up and I moved quickly and threw my back out that way, another time I sneezed and it happened. Every now and then. But, when I am in control and working out regularly I am usually injury free.
I wish I lived close to you as I would come over and help you pack. Can your family do something for you here?
In the meantime, worrying about Christmas and what you will eat will just have to take a back seat for now my dear! Take care!
Linda

derrydaughter
12-13-2004, 06:21 AM
Oh yes, one more thing. The artichokes..... I take canned artichoke hearts (usually two cans) and cut them in to bitesized pieces. I then saute them in a bit of olive oil, only a small amount like two teaspoons. Then I drizzle a bit of lemon juice over top and spray ww butter spray on them as well for flavor. I make a dip for them, sometimes, with mayonaise with has a bit of garlic salt and lemon juice and salt and pepper added, they are pretty heavenly.
We make a beef fondue with oil in the pot to cook the beef and a bunch of dipping sauces like BBQ, Bernaise sauce, steak sauce, grain mustard, etc. This is such a fun meal for Christmas eve with lots of activity and conversation to go along with dinner!
We eat by candlelight with Christmas music and having everyone involved with cooking their own beef can be so much fun!
Linda

jollygirl
12-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Good morning all. I did not make it to the gym this mroning. Kind of spaced out on the couch. I was just going to shrug it off. Then, I really looked at myself in the mirror, thought about my goals, and asked if I was proud of the choices I had made. Since the answer was, "not really" I packed my bag to hit the gym tonight after I interview for a part time job. Keep your fingers crossed.

Happy, sorry to hear about your back. I hope it gets better soon. As for the toffee, I usually can avoid eating too much, as it is pretty rich. I am making some peanut butter balls, and giving stuff away with gifts. Don't get me wrong, more than enough will still make it to my stomach. And thighs. And butt. And . . . .

Derry, glad you had fun in Boston. Your Christmas fondue sounds neat. I love the holiday traditions. It is what makes the holidays special.

Well, I really hope Bat is on his way over here. I need a kick in the rear. I hope everyone else is good.

Have a good MOnday.

RavenToy
12-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Hi folks... it's the wayward raven flopping in again... :D

Happy - I hope your back heals quickly. I too have been there, done that. I will say that my back has never felt more wonderful and strong and limber than when I was doing pilates regularly.

Chachee - *hugs* Girl... I'm so glad your son is starting off with happiness. :D I know there's more you wrote, but I'm doing good to even make an entry at this point. ;) Forgive me.

Linda - Welcome back! Fondue sounds so fun!

Jolly - *hugs* to you, too. This is such a tough time of year to have weight loss goals. As I sit here eating my M&Ms. With peanuts! And a diet coke. ;) Don't beat yourself up, don't be discouraged. Things will be alright. January and the new year are right around the corner, and I have a feeling this year is going to be full of goals accomplished for all of us.

As for me.. well, I've been lost in a world of warcraft with my daughter while my boyfriend was out of town. That and I had a real scare with one of my horses. She probably instigated something, our princess Eve, and got herself really kicked badly on the back leg. For those in the know, right at the hock. Bad, bad place for a kick. On top of that she has either a bad bruise or an abscess coming out on the front leg, same side. The girl coudn't walk, literally. It was a scary few days to see if she was going to need serious vet care on that leg, but yesterday I was out there and she was walking again. Limping still, but moving. Huge relief there.

Anyway, I'm so off track it isn't funny. I'm not even going to waste my energy feeling crappy about it at this point. Right now I'm just focusing on the things that are really making me feel happy... my boyfriend got back from visiting his mom, and it was so good to have him back. My daughter, my son... my horses, the fact that the kids' dad is only a few hours away. I just need to spend a little time letting myself appreciate how good things really are for me, even if they could be better, they could be SO much worse, too.

A mixed blessing in my life - the company I work for is switching insurance companies, which means my premiums will go up by about $60 a month. That's bad. BUT the benefits are much better. That's good. In fact... they will actually cover a tubal ligation where my package with BCBS would not. SO! My goal is to get to the 150s and have a tubal ligation. Then I'll work on getting to the 130s. But that is HUGE incentive for me to lose some weight. I've been wanting to get my tubes tied for about 8 years now, and this is the first insurance I've had that would cover it. What a relief that will be!! It's not the tummy tuck, but it's a close second! :D

Anyway .. yeah. January is just around the corner, and we'll be going Back to Basics! :dance:

Chachee
12-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi Everyone!

Cookies are done and delivered and out of my house. I ate a few, but not too horribly. I had a lot of Doritos this weekend, though. Those new Pepper Jack ones are just my downfall right now.

Was on the treadmill a little longer this morning, and need to do some stretching for my sciatic pain. I was on my feet too much this weekend and I am feeling it now.

Happy: Sorry to hear your back is bad. I think you have a ton of stuff going on and you are doing so well dealing with it all. I did get all my projects done and gave them out for presents.

Linda: Welcome back and that artichoke recipe sounds amazing. I'll have to try it!

Raven: Love those fly-bys. I agree, back to basics in two weeks. I'm sure we will all need it by that point!

Jolly: Good job on getting to the gym. I thought Bat was there. I got the delivery confirmation on him. Are you just hiding him and not wanting to use him?? He get very temperamental about being left outside.....

I have to finish up hubby's stocking tonight. About $30 to go and I know what I am getting him. Just gotta pick it up. Everything else is done. I think I'm making homemade hamburgers for Christmas dinner. That or chicken stir fry. I made enough "traditional" stuff for Turkey Day. Not wanting it again.

That is all I'm going to say, for fear of being smacked by those of you that are running a little behind with holiday preparations. :)

So, happy Monday, welcome back everyone, and ho ho ho

Chach

redballoon
12-14-2004, 07:05 AM
Hi there people. I'm back home now, back from Hong Kong. Today was my first day back on track, getting rid of the caffeine, sugar, processed foods. I was great today. Hope I can keep it up. I'm dead tired again but just wanted to say hi and get this thread up at the top again. I will read back tomorrow and see what ya all have been up to. I'm hoping all's well and the weight is coming off for you, or at least staying steady. Bye for now! :wave:

derrydaughter
12-14-2004, 07:50 AM
Good to be reading what you all are up to. Chach, you did well getting rid of those cookies! I baked yesterday and will be giving some of mine away, but it wouldn't be Christmas without these little gems!
Happy, how it your back? Hope it's getting a bit better. I am so reminded to get off my derriere and not let the holidays interfere with my exercise. You were certainly getting your exercise, though, with all the moving stuff, but maybe the wrong kind?
I'm sending you positive thoughts!
Raven, hope the horse is ok too!
Red, what's up? Haven't heard from you in awhile and I've missed you! I think you are wise to limit sugar, caffeine and all that stuff! I don't seem to be doing awfully well with caffeine, but rarely have any form of sugar.
I've ordered some books on diet and depression from Amazon.com this week. Do you all remember how my son went through a very rough time with depression? He's been on Zoloft and I've been reading so many articles and seeing so much on the news about that drug and it's bad effects. Our doctor just indicated that he doesn't feel comfortable prescribing it for Jeff any longer, so we are weaning him off it.
Being a typical teen, though, Jeff's diet is not great. He has lots of junk food, soda and sugar. He's not overweight, but could be one day. But, I have begun to think that these products may be contributing to his "down in the dumps" attitude, so I'd like to inform him and myself about this.
I have my weekly weigh in today... I'm crossing my fingers and think I'll have a loss... I'd better after three weeks in a row of gaining! Will let you guys know how I did!
Linda

RavenToy
12-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Hi gals...

Linda - I just have to comment about the depression, the drugs, the diet thing. I have a teen, too. I've battled depression... I'm beginning to think pretty much everyone does. I'm very controversial in the sense that I have a very hard time with the standard medicate philosophy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing, and I went through my own discovery process with my son's diagnosis of ADHD (yeah, yeah) and medications and the whole bit.

I truly, honestly believe that we contribute to our own depression so greatly. I think we exacerbate the situation by relying on drugs, by ignoring ourselves, by trying to escape. This is me. Again, I'm not trying to criticize. I've been through a lot, my kids have been through a lot. My son came to GA telling me (at the ripe old age of what, 6?) that he "should never have been born" and that he "wanted to die." My daughter was sinking farther and farther into a depressive state about a year ago, and I was getting frantic. I do believe that the food has a lot to do with it. I believe there are a lot of things we ignore that have a lot to do with it. People in general put far too much emphasis on what other people think of them rather than accomplishing things for themselves, and focusing on fitting into their own skin. A lot of people think my getting horses is frivolous, but you know what? I'm firmly convinced it saved my daughter's sanity. It gave her something real, something solid, something to ground her. Something she could love without reservation, something that loved her back without any strings attached. Now I realize a horse isn't the answer for everyone, but I do think there ARE answers out there, we just aren't accepting them. Life is hard. It doesn't get easier, either. My ex-husband's sister committed suicide last year because she was depressed. She left 6 kids with a scum of a husband. It's not that I don't believe in depression, nor that I don't understand its impact. I've walked some very scary roads in my life, and some of them nearly ended up as dead ends, if you get my drift. There's so much to live for, so much in which to find joy, so many things to see and do. I've committed myself to trying to show that to my kids now, and I pray they don't have to walk the same paths I've danced on.

Enough of my soapbox. I truly hope your son finds a passion, a dream, something bigger than the drama of the teen world. We all need them.

Onward and upward... Chachee - Yes, you're right, I'd have to slap you for being so organized. ;) But it would be a love filled slap. :D Why do I ever think I can wait till the last minute and get things done? Bah. I'll stop procrastinating. Tomorrow.

Red - Welcome back from Hong Kong!! Did you have a good time!?? I really hope so!

Ahhhhh it's freezing here and I'm a weenie. I want so much to be home with a crackling fire and making cookies with the kids. Maybe it will snow and I'll get a day off? EVERYTHING shuts down here if they see a flake! :lol: I love it.

Happy Tuesday!

Chachee
12-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Hello all!

Depression and weight issues..oh how they are linked. I haven't battled depression, at least in a "clinical" state of diagnosis. I sure as **** have been down and out before, though. Unlike others, when it kicks in, I eat eat eat. I never understood those people who "couldn't eat because they were so upset". I eat everything!!!!! I don't agree with medicating our children, and I do believe it's a food, exercise and lifestyle situation more so that can help our kids, not medicine. I've never dealt with clinical depression, as previously stated, and I hope I never have to. My thoughts are with you, Linda.

Raven: A good love slap is good at times. Brings out the sadomasichist (sp) me. :) Go ahead and procrastinate....you thrive under stress!!

Red: Welcome back! Love new new balloon.

Linda: Good luck with weigh in!

Not much else going on. Just coasting along....

Chach

derrydaughter
12-14-2004, 02:08 PM
It's me again! First, some good news! I lost 1.8 pounds at my weigh in this week! Thank goodness, I've broken the cycle, finally, after gaining three weeks in a row, I have to re-lose .4 now to be where I was a month ago.
I made a decision.... I turn 50 on February 18th and I want to be at my GOAL then.... I may have some trouble in the next couple of weeks due to Christmas, but there will be no stopping me afterwards!
It's a BIG birthday and I want to be at a "fighting weight" to be in good health as I "age" (hate that term).
I agree, Raven, with 99% of what you said. I really think my son needs to focus on the future and the bright things. I hope I can help him and get him off Zoloft and on a more healthy path.
Hi Chach! I agree that a healthy lifestyle is what counts, but Jeff was suicidal last summer and we needed this drug. I think (personal opinion here only) that sometimes people lean on anti-depressants as a crutch when they need to pull themselves up by their collective bootstraps and move on. There are times when everyone is depressed, but he was in a different state. Now, he is through that bad spot and with all the warnings about teens on this drug actually killing themselves, I think it's totally time to get him off it, work on positive lifestyles and see what happens!
Linda

jollygirl
12-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Hey all. It is good to see the thread so busy. :wave:Hello hello hello :wave:

Chachee, I will have to check with my downstairs neighbor. Maybe Bat was delivered to her when I wasn't home. he is sure not helping me. I will let you know.

I will now hop up on the other end of the soapbox here. I will agree that food and exercise do strongly affect mental status - I am dealing with a bad case of the grumpies today due to too much junk food and no exercise. I need to get that sorted out and soon. I will also agree that often times people prescribe meds as a quick out. I had a client on a lot of psychotropic medications for "non compliance." She didn't want to be woken up at 4:30 in the morning, when her bus didn't come until 9:30!!! But I think true Depression, or any mental illness, is a very complicated matter. If properly diagnosed, and properly researched, medication can be a vital part of treatment. We are talking about people that have lost all interest in life. Everybody has quirks, issues, symptoms of craziness as it were. I joke all the time about my obsessive compulsive disorder. But true mental illness has to interfere with day to day functioning in several areas. These are not people that can pull themselves up by the boot straps. It is not to be taken lightly. You have to help them up, help them find success, and help them find passions again. Medications have to be carefully researched, as they effect people different ways. But they shouldn't be ignored either.

OK. NOw I am off my soap box :)

Like I said, I need to get back to my regime. I get real irritable when I don't work out regularly, and mornings seem to be best, as I get set up for the day. Sigh.

Catch you all later.

RavenToy
12-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Ok .. a comrad in the battle of the bulge e-mailed this to me, and I just had to share.

Holiday Eating Tips

1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Christmas spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.

2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. Like fine single-malt scotch, it's rare. In fact, it's even rarer than single-malt scotch. You can't find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-aholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!

3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.

4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.

5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Christmas party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?

6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.

7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.

8. Same for pies. Apple. Pumpkin. Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or, if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert? Labor Day? (Don't forget the slice of pecan pie)

9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.

10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention.

Reread tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner.

Remember this motto to live by:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

jollygirl
12-14-2004, 10:34 PM
I like your motto. Or as Auntie Mame said "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."

derrydaughter
12-15-2004, 06:06 AM
Raven, that thing was cute! Sure wish my life was that simple in terms of eating and the results thereafter.... oh well.
Today is a busy day for me, hope I can get through it without going totally "off program"....
Linda

redballoon
12-15-2004, 07:46 AM
Hi people, Glad to see things have picked up around here. Not that I was being much help.

Well, I'm wrapping up the second day of being back on track, eating well (as in no junk, I ALWAYS eat well as in lots and lots and lots!!). I got to the gym, had no sugar, only caffeine in the morning. I'm feeling tired (heh, no kidding) have work to do and did a bit of it. This is normally where I'd reach for the coffee but I'm just not going to. I know getting off the stuff makes you really tired at first because the body doesn't know what to do.

At the gym, I just let myself do what I could without pushing myself too much. Pushed myself some. But two days I can always do. I'm not at the office. I'm having time to myself. It's when the sh*t hits the fan so to speak that I reach for the sugar to numb me from it, when really all I want to do is sleep. . . but you know, I've been thinking this has all got to stop. Why numb myself from life? And what difference is there really, between reaching for the booze everyday (which I don't do) and reaching for the sugar everyday (which I do do), reaching for the stuff that makes me feel bad about myself by my OWN hand? Here I am, feeling crappy because of the way things are at work and then I go home and make myself feel worse?! Ok, ok, it tastes good, I feel I'm being nice to myself but come on, who are we kidding here? If that's the only way to cope with such a place then something's gotta give and to **** if it's going to be me. I've got to stop playing the victim. Got to keep that thought foremost in my mind. . Wish me luck.

Well, there's so much writing going on here, don't know where to start.

Raven -- loved the holiday eating guide. Made me laugh. I especially like No. 7 "If you come across something really good at a buffet table . . . position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention." This is something I tend to do naturally. Do I get any gold stars for my behavior?!!?

I agree with everything you said I think and I don't think at all you were saying anything different from jolly. Maybe she wasn't thinking so either, but it sounded a little that way. . . The operative word is "rely." You're saying we shouldn't RELY on drugs and I agree that this spells trouble. Sometimes, as Derry pointed out, you need an emergency measure, kind of a defibrillator for the mind (or emotional heart). That's where medicine can help. I mean, it's what we're doing with alcohol and food, medicating ourselves, just without the results we're looking for. But the medicine should only be a help, and the most important thing is giving people the ability, the means to deal with their reactions to life, or to deal with life itself, to educate them and teach them how to build networks of people around them, to embrace sadness and tough times and work away from them without denying them. I think it's very important to teach them to reach out for medication in those times when they can't find the other things too. But I'm afraid the drugs are being used to cover up too much, not only by the people taking them but by those around them in many cases. Not all "loving" family members are loving. Many people are actively contributing to a person's depression through all sorts of abuse, even subtle abuse, power trips and such. I wish people would learn more about self-empowerment, about belief, faith in the things they don't know are out there, believing that if they seek them out, they will find a better life.

In any case, you know I think there's nothing frivolous about horses!! Heh, really sorry to hear about your ex's sister. Is that affecting you a lot? I mean, six kids and not the best father. . . do you have much contact. . wow. . .

I hear you on the scary roads, probably been on some of them myself. Sure glad you made it this far, Raven, hope you make it a lot, lot further. You've got a lot to offer and I hope you'll be able to GET a lot too!! :grouphug:

Derry -- I think it's great that you're looking into nutrition and such and trying to educate your son. I think it's one of the most important things we can do these days. Talk about chemicals. We are being bombarded with them in the vast majority of our foods, not to speak of the air and water. Perhaps it's no wonder that we are turning more often to drugs such as antidepressants, after all, we are literally battling drugs with drugs. If we keep our bodies strong though, we'll be able to better fight the curve balls life throws us, the curve balls life has always thrown people, but in today's world, with our poor health and poor nutrition, we are just all that more vulnerable.

As for your book search, I would suggest Caffeine Blues by Stephen Cherniske (reminds me I'm going to read it again to keep me off the stuff) and Sugar Blues by William Dufty (appealed to me because it ranted about the way sugar has, throughout history, been used by big-money industries with no concern for the little people) and Stop the Insanity by Susan Powter (here again, talks about the money involved in big industries such as dairy and the effects of diet on health but in a very personal and readable way). These are three powerful and readable books.

Chachee -- hi there and thanks for noticing my new avatar! Glad you like it. Wow, an SM aficiando here! So, I take it, you're the M, not the S, or do you kind of move between the two! :lol:

Definitely hear you on the eating everything mentality. Silly people who "can't eat." Genetically dysfunctional, I'd say. They would never have survived back when our kind were surviving! Can you imagine turning up your nose at something like a side of raw woolly mammoth or saying no to your fifteenth apple just because you were full when your next meal might be a month, no a whole year, away! No, way, we've got to stuff it in whether we like it or not. That's life. . . oh, wait, different time, different place. . . time slip there. . .

jolly - how's it going. Did you get your workout in? I am the same way, get in an awful mood if I've been working out and then can't. It doesn't go the other way though (getting in a bad mood if I work out after not having done so in a long time) All I get then is tired. And I agree with what you say about the depression/drugs thing. I think Raven was saying the same thing, just hadn't presented it in the same way, her focus was more on the part you talk about as the "helping them up, helping them find success and passions" but I think she will readily agree that there is nothing wrong with taking medication at times. I definitely think there is an enormous amount of abuse of the antidepressants though, as quick "answers" and quick "solutions" and, unfortunately, a lot of that quickness is on the part of doctors wanting to keep their customers coming back and/or looking to give people what they want, not want even the doctors themselves know they need. I liken it to the doctors who recommend lipposuction at the drop of a hat because they're making big bucks off it and if the patient wants it they'll just go to someone who'll give it to them. Sure, such measures save lives at times too, but they also are meaningless in the long run if the person doesn't change eating habits etc.

By the way, when you said you had a client on psychotropic meds. . what kind of work are you in? Are you a doctor/nurse? Sorry if I asked before. I've forgotten.

Happy -- what's up with you these days? Raven was saying how things were bad for you? Sure hope they're better now. I read your back was hurting. Is that better now. Sure hope so. Please tell me how you are doing. You have your move coming up, don't you? Oh, yes, how is the teeth bleaching working out? You must have one dazzling smile, no? :spin:

Any one I missed? Hello and hope to hear from you soon. Lucky? Where are you? Get your computer up yet? I sure know how that is . . . I'm still limping a bit with mine. Got a mishmash from friends, an old hard drive with the latest OS-X, which means I can't used most of the software people have given me, or my printer. Must get that going but am reluctant to switch back to an older system now that I've gotten used to OS-X. It's great. And I'm worried I'll lose everything and not know how to hook up to my provider.. . .Well, gotta do something. Suppose I could always put X back in . . . Oh well, there I go overthinking things again.

Well, people. Gotta get some sleep. I've made it through the day in a great way. Thanks for being here. :wave:

jollygirl
12-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Hey all. Made it to the gym last night and today. NOw, I just need to tape my mouth shut, so I can't put crap in it. My control over my food choices is non existent. Here's to healthy choices.

Have a good day all.

redballoon
12-16-2004, 02:35 AM
Heh jolly :bravo: to you for a double workout! :cb: :dancer: Way to go!! Now, would you prefer duct tape or electrical? :rofl:

derrydaughter
12-16-2004, 06:23 AM
HI guys!
Red, I so agree with what you wrote about embracing the sad times and learning to cope with them and all that.... so much to read on this December morning when it's in the teens here in NH temperaturewise. i really appreciate what you, and others have had to say.
I feel the need to "air out" though, emotionally as well as in my house so will throw open a few windows in here later on for a "change of air" which will be cold, but invigorating!
I really want to work with my son and get him looking at the bad times as temporary and recognizing that the sad occasions and periods in our lives ARE truly part of the peaks and valleys in life. There are going to be great times to equal out the low points, there just always are. I really think he needs to pay attention to his diet, his exercise, being outdoors once in awhile (so hard for teens who leave for school in darkness, come home and do homework indoors, etc.). But, a concerted effort needs to be made. I will check out those books. Can't wait until the ones I ordered arrive as well.
This is just like many of us, isn't it? We have had years to accumulate our behaviours and have learned to self medicate with food. Red, you hit the nail on the head talking about how your job gets you down and you come home and to be "good to yourself" you eat the things you know aren't good for you, like another person would turn to liquor. I know exactly what you mean.
I guess a way to pamper one self emotionally would be to make a wonderful healthy meal, one that appeals to the eye as well as the pallet? If one were even dining alone, one could set the table with nice dishes, a candle, even put water in a nice wineglass and put on some classical music? This how refreshing this would be and how satifying it would be emotionally?
I used to live down the street from a ww leader who used to take ww frozen dinners and microwave them for her meals. She would then take them OUT of those plastic ugly containers they come in and put them on her fine china, add lettecue and tomato on the side and set a very nice table for herself. She said that she DESERVED decent table settings, even if she were trying to lose weight. I liked her attitude!
Busy times for me.... I have my family coming in two days (Sat.) to celebrate Christmas a week early. WE are travelling to my in laws on Christmas day and we will have a family celebration here then. I'm cooking and have tons of cleaning to do!
Linda

jollygirl
12-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Good morning all. I hear you on the food thing. How often we reward ourselves or find solace with food. Gets back to the saying we should eat to live, not live to eat. Too often I live to eat, thinking I "deserve" certain foods, instead of focusing on healthy fuels for my body.

I really am feeling so much better emotionally, now that I am getting back to the gym. That makes such a difference in my ability to handle life's little ups and downs. I am starting slowly to make better food choices. There are just times when I can't seem to stop and make the choice - just eat without thought. Sigh.

I want duct tape, Red. It's wider and stronger.

Have a great day all.

RavenToy
12-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Hey chickies

Well .. I made the mistake of getting on the scale today. :yikes: Ok, I'm on my period, so it was worse than it might have been otherwise but .. whooboy. Ok, yeah, this year has to be the year of the duct tape for me too, Jolly!

I guess I have to be the lone voice of insanity. I will never, ever see food as just fuel. I know myself better than that. It would be hopeless for me to even bother trying. Food is a wonderful thing to me. But what I want to learn is that it isn't EVERY wonderful thing. Food CAN be a reward, it CAN be an indulgence, it CAN be special. But it doesn't have to be the ONLY thing. I fail miserably at the trying to convince myself that a "healthy meal" is a great reward. It isn't a reward, it's a healthy meal. Yay. I'm taking care of myself. I should just do that as a matter of course. But there are other things that are just as enjoyable as food - the problem is they aren't as convenient.

Again, this is just me. There are those for whom a lovely set meal with candles is a wonderful thing. To me, unless someone else is cooking it, lighting the candles, and cleaning up afterwards.... I'm real happy eating my meal from anything at all after I push the kids' schoolbooks out of the way on the table. ;)

I'm noodling around about getting a different vehicle. I say different instead of new because new implies 2005, and I'm looking at a used 4Runner. I'm not sure they'll finance me with my credit as far in the toilet as it is, with the lack of down payment other than their incentives and my little old escort as a trade-in, and my inability to make huge monthly payments. I figured talking to them wouldn't hurt, though. The one I saw online that really made me drooly is a '99 4Runner LTD. WITH a towing package! *wink wink nudge nudge* Ok, is there anyone in this group who DIDN'T get that I was implying I could then pick up a horse trailer with that wink and nudge? HM?

Anyway.. can't get excited yet, because I know the likelihood of them actually financing me is next to ZERO but... I can hope.

So anyway... I'm setting the first in a series of goals on my ticker. I want to get back into the 5 pounds a month thing. Twenty pounds till I'm back where I was when I fell down. Then another 20 pounds to go and I can have the tubal ligation done. Another 20 pounds will put me at goal. I'll try really hard not to think about the fact that now I'm 60 pounds away from goal when just a few months ago I was only 40 pounds away. :cry:

The new year is coming up fast. I'm getting to the point where I'm actually excited about the new opportunities.

happy2bme
12-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Hey Raven, if it helps you decide or if I may offer an endorsement - I'm on my 7th Toyota 4-Runner. Yup SEVEN. We should be on a Toyota commercial. No, we aren't rich - we leased all but 2 of them. We got the first one that was delivered to the midwest tri state area back in 1985 and except for one awful stint with a Ford T-Bird, we've had them ever since. Extremely low maintenance vehicles - gas and oil and wash it once in a while ;)

Friend of ours who has a huge boat and had Ford SUVs got a 4-Runner last year. Said it tows much better than the Explorer. Good luck, I hope you get it.

We are skipping Christmas this year which is good and bad. I miss the decorations, sure don't need the rich food. If I could have one wish it's to fast forward 6 months from now - I hate this turmoil. The only good thing is that time flies so fast, it WILL be June before you know it.

Sounds like everyone's on the righteous path, even if it means hanging on by the fingernails. I actually look forward to move number 1, even if it's temporary in an apartment. High time to get back on the good eats path and regular exercise.

My back is finally easing up a bit, tho I think it's most dangerous now. You start to feel better but one little slip and I could be on the floor again. So I'm trying to be good.

Linda, good luck with your son. Like you, I believe that food/nutrients play a BIG part in overall well being. I hope you guys can get through this together. It's got to be so hard being a parent in today's world.

Back to work for me, catch y'all later...

redballoon
12-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Just a quickie here. Gotta get working on a story before I leave for the dreaded office. Work before work, work after work. Yuck!

Derry -- sounds great what you're saying. I'm with Raven kind of when it comes to making more work for myself with a fancy table setting, although this is partly due to the fact that I usually eat off the floor (sounds horrible, Japanese room) but I am sitting down to a little collapsible table these days and allowing myself the time out to eat instead of trying to eat at the computer or while doing something else, other than watching TV. Then again, if I had more time and more room I would do the whole table setting thing. It might not be tablecloth and silverware, it may be neat pottery dishes and wooden utensils but it'd be special for me. Yes, must start doing things I like.

Raven -- Don't get down about the weight. It's just weight, mere fat stored by your body to help you out in the case of a food emergency. We wax and wane like the moon. Big deal. Let's just put a cap on our waxing phases!

Oh jolly, you made me laugh!! You want duct tape! How great to read messages that make you laugh at 6 a.m. :lol: I'm so glad you're feeling better. Yes, let's all think about what constitutes "rewarding" ourselves, change the definition that is so easily thrown around these days, "you deserve a drink/a cookie/a scoop of ice cream" Oh, give me a friggin' break!!! Right!?!? Let's say, "I deserve healthful food/clothes that make me feel fabulous/people that make me feel the same."

I mean sure we can live to eat but it should be things that celebrate and worship ourselves, our potential, our power -- true gold not fool's gold.

happy -- glad to hear your back is better. too bad you'll have to skip Christmas. If it's any solace, remember that I have no Christmas here, have "skipped" it for over 25 years now. It's a workday here, any attempts to make it feel like it did when I was a kid make it seem pathetic in comparison so I do nothing. It's not really important anyhow. We can have the Christmas spirit any time of year. Should actually. How strange to reserve it for one day out of the year. But I do miss the celebrations.

Well, gotta go. First day back at the office since returning from Hong Kong. I'm dreading it. Sent email to my "assistant" at work asking how things were. Got no reply. Have sent emails to boss at work, gotten no replies, called yesterday, he was "in a meeting," I was told he'd call me, he never did. Am now scared and anxious that I am in for a shock. I don't need anymore shocks. I want to hide under the blankets. I DON'T need this. I hate this place. They are totally screwed up and screwing me up with them. Oh, how I want out. How I want to deal with sane people who know how to function!

In any case, up to today I've been great with eating and exercising. Back on track. I must remain centered in myself and not allow anyone to topple me today as well. If I meet with a shock I will calmly assess the situation and concentrate on my options and think of the options I can come up with as well. Must use my power to help me! How's that for positive thinking!

derrydaughter
12-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Red, I was amazed that Christmas is a workday where you are, but then again, in many places it is in our world. I hope you find your own way to deal with Christmas. Hope the work situation is better in the new year, you deserve it!
I do think taking time out to eat is important. If you eat standing up, in front of the tv, while at the computer, etc, it doesn't feel like a meal and you end up still feeling unsatisfied, emotionally - you won't actually feel as if you had a meal. So, even if one is not inclined to sit down with a great table setting (and I don't do that every day, believe me, but try at other times) it is important to set aside a few moments and relax.
Raven, hope you get the Toyota! I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna and it's a true "dream machine" in terms of handling, lack of "issues", comfort and quiet. It's what I call a "frumpy housewife car" as it's a silver minivan and I consider them to look like a "box on wheels" with no style, but it's what I need. I have the towing package and can tow up to 5000 pounds with it as well and it really handles well with our 17' boat being towed.
Prior to this vehicle, though, I have had 4 Mitsubishi Monteros, which are in incredibly nice SUVs, however, they are too tall to fit in my garage. When we moved here, the Montero was 4" too tall to make in in the garage, it was 4 degrees out and snowing. I said, that's it.... time for a new car, so off we went to car dealers in a snowstorm. I had three criterias.... first it had to fit in the garage, second it had to tow at least 3500 pounds and thirdly, have enough room for kids, cats, luggage and band equipment like drums, guitars and amps. So, the Sieanna became mine and I have no regrets. As a minivan, it's amazing as all the seats fold flat in the back, you don't have to remove them and store them, it's like a pick up truck bed - yet protected. We have carried 8' boards after going to the lumber yard in it and they just laid between the seats. It's sliding doors are automatic and remote as well. It's the only vehicle I've ever owned that is dead silent on a long trip, particularly in the rain, those windshield wipers are a true marvel - even on the fastest speed you just don't hear them! Amazing! At any rate, sorry to go on, but I love my vehicle!
By the way, put me on the list to send that duct tape to! I had way over my food allowance yesteray and used up 7 of my flexpoints on a "normal" non-holiday day.... not a good thing. I got on the scale this morning and it would appear to be up by about two pounds from my weigh in day on Tuesday, and I have a holiday company celebration here tomorrow. What was I thinking?
Happy, glad to read that your back is feeling a bit better. Do take it easy and if you have a velcro type of back brace, it might be a good time to put in on as I know you are trying so hard to move....
Linda

jollygirl
12-17-2004, 10:10 AM
All I have time for is a quick post before I head off to organzie the staff holiday party. I will try to post more tonight.

I just have to say real quick, though, that I love what you said about true gold vs. fool's gold, Red. That is so true, it's scary. We think we are "rewarding" ourselves with food, but what kind of reward is that??? I agree, that food can be special, holiday traditions, dates (not that I know much about those lately), family times. Those are important. But "rewards." Maybe the next time a pet is lost, we can offer a pint of Ben and Jerry's for information?? Not really a reward, is it? True gold, hmmm? I must figure out what the true gold is for me.

Have a great day all.

redballoon
12-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Hi all! No time to write now. Just wanted to jump in and wish you all a good weekend. I'll write later. Gotta get ready for work now. Was excellent yesterday with the food. Sans duct tape! But I'll fly some out to anyone who needs it. With that and bat we should be fortified enough.

jolly, glad you liked the fool's gold. Yeah, I like that myself too. Maybe, gee golly whiz, hit on something semi intelligent here. But really, I think we really got to rethink this whole "reward" bs that everyone knocks around like some cheap radio jingle. Oh puhleeeeez!! And you really made me laugh to think of someone putting up a carton of Ben and Jerry's as reward but yes, that's what we're doing most of the time, isn't it?! You're funny, jolly!

jollygirl
12-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Yeah. Where did that all come from anyway? My parents did it. Hey, you aced your test - let's make your favorite dinner. Had a bad day - here's a cookie. I know that food means caring for someone which means love, but we have taken it to such an extreme! So if I ever had a child, what would I teach her??? Probably the same damn thing. Sad.

I didn't make it to the gyn last night. I need to go today. I can not let this slide. I deserve better!!! Chachee, I still have not found where Bat has ended up. I think I will have to get his sister, Boot!

I hope things are going well for everyone - with wieght loss efforts, holiday preparations, car shopping, moving, jobs, etc. Have a great weekend.

Oh yeah, Raven, I did get that the nudge and wink meant you wanted to be able to tow a trailer.

redballoon
12-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Heh, where is everyone?! Had to go to the next page to find the thread. Well, I guess it's inevitable with the holidays. . . I'm doing well sticking to eating right, caffeine only in the morning. I am trying not to overthink the problems at work, trying to not get stuck rehashing them over and over and over again. On boy!

Raven, Derry, Jolly, anyone else lurking around, come out and play! :wave:

jollygirl
12-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Hey, I'm here. Just busy weekend. Went to see my grandparents yesterday, and had Sunday School Xmas program today.

It is soooo cold up here. I went to ride today, and I swear my horse had an icicle up his butt.

I have a few things I SHOULD do tonight, but I keep having to remind myself that a body in motion stays in motion. Because a good book and a blanket really sound a lot better.

Til tomorrow.

redballoon
12-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Hi jolly, good to see someone's around! So, did you ride? I guess so, huh?

There's a guy at work leaving I think tomorrow for Wisconsin, family reunion. I'll tell him it's nice and chill! :lol:

Keep warm, but remember, you warm up doing exercise too!!

happy2bme
12-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Well in these here parts it's 4 degrees outside. Brrrrrrrrrrr.

I HAD to go out. No choice. Christmas shopping is DONE. Cards are DONE. Presents will be wrapped tomorrow but no tree to put them under this year. Serious packing and sorting starts tomorrow and runs through the week.

Dear Lord give me the strength to stay away from the butter cookies and the chocolate cheesecake cupcakes. Guess I'll just have to bake them, put them in the gift tins in the garage and get them out quick. You guys did it, so can I.

Stay warm or cool whatever you are dealing with at the moment. And take a few minutes out to breathe deep and enjoy the season upon us...

derrydaughter
12-20-2004, 06:06 AM
Hi guys!
I've been a "bad" girl, we had the family holiday party for my side of the family here at my house on Saturday and I lost control... there were leftovers here at the house and I lost control again yesterday. I was going to workout and get on the treadmill and didn't. What else can I say?
I'm feeling some remorse, but also accepting what I did. I know I will do it all again next weekend at my in-laws as well. But, after that, it will be back on track for me!
I have no excuses to be "bad" this week, though, so I'd better keep in control and try really hard.
Linda

redballoon
12-20-2004, 07:49 AM
Derry, happy, hi there! No time, just wanted to say HI. Power to you happy :strong: You can be Superwoman!! :sunny: and Derry, don't worry. The battle ain't lost till you stop fighting. :flow1: Fall down, get back up, brush yourself off, give us a big grin and on you go again!!!

derrydaughter
12-20-2004, 08:02 AM
You are totally right, Red, it's only a battle and not the entire war that was lost!
I'm not giving up.
Hi to you way over in Japan... amazing to think about you spending the holidays there. Are there many Christians in Japan who actually recognize Christmas? I admit that I know so little about their culture. What is the most prominent religion?
I remember reading that you don't get Christmas off, so what holidays do they actually get off?
Linda

RavenToy
12-20-2004, 10:08 AM
I'm not a Christian, but I still do Christmas. I think of it more in the pagan spirit, I guess. Since so many of the Christmas traditions are borrowed from other religions anyway... seems kind of fitting. :D I guess I just don't fit into any one belief system. Wintermas? Whatever... I enjoy the spirit of the season very much.

It's cold here. Wind chill was 4F. Ambient was 14F, I think. I haven't felt that kind of chill in a long time. My car doesn't have a heater anymore, so it was a long cold drive into work. No newer vehicle on the horizon, since it looks like I won't be able to get credit. I ordered my reports, we'll see what I can get off the reports that's already paid but hasn't been reported as such. That might help.

Rode this weekend, Saturday was actually really nice weather, in the 50s. The horses were feeling pretty good.. Shadow looks spectacular, Eve is still limping a bit but is healing well, Arashi was my cuddle bug. My daughter said Arashi reminds her of Richard... he'll associate with other people if he has to, but his real interest is me. I have to admit to being kind of flattered when my horse left my daughter with treats to come say hi to me when I came into the pasture. From such an incredibly rocky start with him, to this deep bond we seem to have developed.. it's kind of amazing. I feel very lucky. I know my daughter shares that with Shadow, and I know Ian will develop it with Eve, I can already see it starting.

Anyway.. well food is ... food. Exercise is nonexistent, and I am looking forward to resuming a more positive direction come next year.

jollygirl
12-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Good morning all. Well, after non-existant exercise over the weekend, I did go to the gym this morning. Trying to slow down my bad food choices.

That sounds so wrong. "Trying" to "slow down" my bad food choices? I think my problem lately is that I have been externalizing my food/weight/health issues again. An old trap, I know. But I have been acting like I am not the one making these food choices. The truth is, I just haven't cared enough about my health and weight loss to monitor my choices. So, remembering that Yoda said "Do, or do not - there is no TRY" I WILL accept responsibility for my choices, and actively think about what I am eating again.

Have a good day all.

RavenToy
12-20-2004, 11:08 AM
I think that's the crux of the issue, the not caring enough. It takes conscious effort to make the right decisions, to cook the right food, to push myself to exercise. Right now, obviously, I don't care enough to do that. I have made the decision, on whatever level, that other things going on are more important. Now .. one day, I hope that the food choices, etc., will be second nature. I hope. I begin to think that might never happen, to be honest. I am beginning to think that it will always be something I have to think about, which kind of bothers me. I don't like having to think about something to that degree, unless it is something fun, like horses or computer gaming. *lol* And no, no matter how hard I try, I can't convince myself that cooking healthy foods and daily working out is "fun." I have tried, and I do enjoy it to a certain extent, but no.. it's not "fun." Were it fun, I wouldn't have these problems! I do enjoy running, but I guess it's like anything - once you "have" to do it, it ceases to be something you really want to do. Ah, the mental games we play.

Anyway.. I'm rambling. Trying to avoid doing time. ;)

jollygirl
12-20-2004, 01:24 PM
I don't know that it is even an issue of "fun." At least not for me. I like how my body feels when it is in shape. I would love to be a Sydney Brisco (sp) sort of butt kicking girl. I don't think it is "fun" when I have acid reflux or other problems from overeating. It is more the other issues around food - that it has become a reward, the safety of being overweight, the self esteem - it is easier to stay the same then address those issues and change the behavior. Again, at least for me. Since I feel you can eat just about anything as long as it is in moderation, there shouldn't be any deprivation. But, since I use food for so much else that is messed up, I would rather hide behind the weight than put my money where my mouth is and live up to my potential.

Geez, could I get any more metaphors in there? If it were a drinking game, I'd be toast.

RavenToy
12-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Heh. I've come to understand I'm basically lazy. I like the way my body feels when it's in shape, I just don't necessarily like the work I have to do to get it there and keep it there.

And yes.. I face the same issues of using my weight to hide behind, using food as a comfort, the whole bit.

I think I'm just getting to the point - and it kind of sounds like you are, too - where I'm tired of over analyzing it and I am either going to do it or not. Training horses once again comes into play. If a horse won't trailer load, for example, because he had a bad experience and he's scared of going in there, it doesn't mean you can accept him not trailer loading. The "why" he's not loading isn't the issue, it's the "how to get him to do it" that is the point. The past may be an object of interest, but it's not going to change the fact that we need to train the horse to trailer load.

So .. in looking at my weight and all that happy stuff... the "why" I do the over eating, the not exercising, all that - may be interesting. But the fact is I need to change it. I've found I don't need to understand the why to change the how. I think I often use the why to avoid changing the how.

And I could go around and around about that till I'm blue in the face and weigh in 20 pounds heavier. ;) And I have done exactly that.

happy2bme
12-21-2004, 02:38 AM
Well girls it's getting down to the wire here. The next few days will fly by and before I know it, I'll be out of here. May not get back much for a few weeks. Want to wish you all a wonderful holiday and a happy and healthy New Year. I'll be back in a few weeks when we get settled into the apartment and the cable gets installed and all that fun stuff.

Be good over the holidays - minimal nibbling but do enjoy a bit of a few special treats. No overanalyzing the diet, why do I eat, why won't I move and all that stuff. Sometimes just like the Nike commercial - you just have to Do It. And that's that. I know I will.

Merry Christmas chickies :)

redballoon
12-21-2004, 02:43 AM
Heh all, sorry I can't reply now. Got a bus to catch. Will be out of the loop for a day or so. Will catch up when I get back again. Take care and good luck, all!! :sunny:

:wave:

derrydaughter
12-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Jolly, I liked that Yoda quote so much, I "stole" it an added it to my signature for this week! Thanks for using that, it really made me think!!!! Use the force, everyone!!!!!
Raven, I appreciated reading about the affection you have for your horses, they are living beings and truly can be part of your family. My cats are this way with me and I love them like family! They are so special when you are having a "down" day!
I love that do or do nothing, there is no try thing so much, it's actually affected my morning! I was going to skip my ww meeting as I've got so much holiday stuff to do. I will use my "no weigh in pass" today, but still will go.... the "no weigh in pass" is more because I am wearing really heavy and warm clothing today - it's freezing here, wind chills below zero and only 1 degree F outside....my normal weigh in outfit it truly a summer outfit, no way will I be wearing that today, I'm all bundled up and don't care to weigh in, just need the motivation! Gosh, I just thought of Chach (wonder what she's up to?) way up north and can't imagine living with these temps ALL winter! WE have a few weeks of it, but she's got MONTHS of it! Yikes!
I did a work out yesterday, I got on my treadmill and I tried to eat right, but lost it with the cookies and muffins.... but I'm not giving up! I even shoveled snow yesterday as well, it was a really awful day here weatherwise, but I didn't completely blow ALL of it. I had a long drive in icy conditions, though, and when I got home all cold and achy from being on "red alert" for three hours in my car, I needed comfort food. It was totally an emotional thing and I didn't even care about what I ate. Afterwards, I felt no remorce, just an understanding of how my mind needed this food, not my body. So, the battle continues!
Happy, I wish you well, take care of that back and stay safe! Can't wait to hear about your move when you are back!
Linda :o

RavenToy
12-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Linda - That is precisely why I don't live up there anymore. After 35 years of dealing with 9 months of winter, I couldn't stand it anymore. I had originally planned to move to Oregon, but ended up in Georgia. I was prepared to absolutely hate this place, but have grown kind of fond of it. I'd rather live someplace not quite so populated... maybe one day. Now even the 2 months of "winter" I deal with here makes me cranky. I simply don't do cold. And anything below 50F is cold. :D Comfort food is a huge problem for me. Much more than I orginally thought it was. And not much comforts me like it does... so finding a substitute is difficult. I think that's were I feel the lack - not so much in the resentment of not eating something because of self imposed limits, but resentment due to lack of comfort. Does that make sense? And here again, the cold weather only makes it worse for me. Warm fire, hot cocoa, yummy dinners... Alaska haunts me still! Argh! ;)

Red - Ok .. where you off to this time!? I hope you're having fun!

Happy - Wow .. Such a busy, change filled time for you. *hug* I'll miss you while you're gone, and look forward to all the news when you get back!

Jolly - Heh. Soemtimes a drinking game sounds like a good idea. Well, till I remember how I feel the morning after. *ow* I'm too old to get drunk anymore. :D

My emotions are all over the place lately. Christmas, dad in the care home, mom gone, the ex here, money... I'm so grateful for so much, and yet things are sometimes so bittersweet. I'm eating for comfort. Big time. All the foods that have ever made Christmas special with my parents are rolling down on me. I promised my son I wouldn't be a grinch this year. I managed to not grinch out last year - well, except for a couple hours after Christmas morning where I excused myself, went to my bedroom and let myself feel everything, then took a deep breath and went back to my family, and had a lovely evening. You know.. you'd think that after 10 years of mom being gone, I'd be over this by now. :rolleyes: So anyway... I suppose food will be my crutch again this year, much as I hate to depend on it. It's only for a week or so, then I'll be ok.

Chachee
12-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi girls.

I'm here, lurking and running like a crazy woman! Good news is that the exercise is back where it was before I was a moron and got lazy. Food is about 80%. A few cookies at night, but nothing compared to a couple weeks ago.

I'm so mad at myself that I have slacked the last three months. I could be so close to goal now and instead, I'm struggling to get those extra pounds off I gained back.

I'm tired of it and tired of wondering why I did it or continue to do the things I do. I'm just going to live my life, eat right, exercise and not put so many demands on myself and feel like a failure for not reaching my goals that I set way too aggressively anyway.

I'm going to pat myself on the back, be thankful I'm healthier now than when I started last year, and feeling so much better. These other pounds will come off, but I can't get so stressed out about it.

Oh, and by the way, it is 18 outside. We got about 5 inches of snow the other day. In my yard, there is probably about 2 feet of snow, just FYI! :) I love it.

Happy Tuesday!

Chach

RavenToy
12-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Chachee - Send the snow down here, wouldja? I need some time off work! ;)

I hear you on the "why did I let myself slide" stuff. I could have been AT goal by now. That was the plan, and if I'd stayed on track that's where I'd be. Instead, I've gone in reverse and I'm even farther away from goal than I was. *sigh*

I really don't want to keep repeating this pattern.

jollygirl
12-21-2004, 05:10 PM
Hey all. I have to stress to you all for a moment. I know, i know - when don't I?? I was going to go ride tonight, but when I hit the internet to catch up with y'all - the MSN home page had a huge article about 20 killed at one US base, and 5 others killed in a Humvee attack. I have to go home and at least email my friend. Try to touch base with her. I know she is doing what she believes in, but I HATE this. I can't go crazy every time something is on the news, because things are always on the news. I will be in a straight jacket before she gets home.

Sigh.

I will try to talk more later. REd, where are you off to? Happy, good luck with the move. Raven, good luck surviving the season. Derry, glad my quote helped.

redballoon
12-22-2004, 05:47 AM
Heh people, I'm back in Tokyo. Here's a quick look through the messages and some notes to ya all and lots of ramblings in between. . .

Linda -- You asked about Christmas here. Well, actually you see decorations around and so and hear Christmas music at times but people actually celebrating as Christians are probably few. There are Christians in Japan and here in Tokyo there is every kind of church, many Catholic ones actually. There are lots of foreigners and many of them are Catholic. Lots of Filipinos for example. It's hard to say what Japanese are. It's a religion but then not. Buddhism and Shintoism rituals are mixed throughout their life, mostly Shinto for weddings, Buddhist for funerals and altars for the deceased in homes. Solemn bells ring in the New Year at midnight at shrines (Shinto) and people line up to throw money and say a quick prayer for the New Year. All in all, New Year's is the big holiday but very solemn and spent with the family. Of course, there are Christmas parties and such to be found throughout the city since this is Tokyo and you practically find anything here. Yearend parties are a tradition here so they have a similar feel to Christmas parties for me though there isn't any decoration. They're called "forget the year parties" and include speeches commenting on the past year and then wishes for the coming one. Christmas is, like I said, not really celebrated, though there is a tradition of bringing cake home to the family on Christmas Eve. After work, all the stores have stands outside selling white Christmas cake and it's also a big date night so the hotels are booked from months earlier, but that's amongst the youth mostly!

I was raised Catholic but don't consider myself any particular religion any more. Although some people would say that being raised a Catholic scars you for life! No offense anyone! Just kidding. :lol:

I've lived in such diverse cultures and seen so many religions. I just kind of live I suppose the Golden Rule and that's basically common to all religious because, well, it's just common sense. I had been trying to put Christmas out of my mind partly because it hurt too much to remember the good times I had as a child but this year I'm feeling like just having a bit of fun and looking for any reason at all. So, if it's Christmas, whatever, it makes it easier for others to take I think. I was always like that but had gotten away from it a bit recently.

I just took one of my cats to the vet though. She has a severely inflamed mouth and throat and can't eat because of the pain. It's incurable apparently, afflicts many cats these days they say and no one knows the cause. There's nothing to do and eventually they just starve to death. But she and another one of my four has it and so I've been taking them to the vet for steroid shots, which relieves the pain for a couple weeks. The time between shots has been getting smaller but I can't stand to see her in pain. It being Christmas in a few days I wanted her to feel better so when I got back today I took her to the vet.

Also, I got a brandnew halter and lead ropes for my horse and I plan to give them to her for Christmas. Of course, it's FOOD she wants but I will give her some extra apples as well. But the blue halter will look good on her (she's chestnut) and has had this ugly red halter so I'd been wanting to get her a new one.

Raven -- We sound the same with the Christmas thing. I love all the stories about the season and the spirit. Wish it was yearround. What I don't like are the sentimental things. Makes me too sad. Got to turn off the songs when they come on. Actually makes me mad sometimes because it seems to just yank on my emotions. I guess some people need that to feel a little moved. I am moved sooo deeply that I can't stand it.

Nice to hear Arashi feels something special for you and shows it. I think all animals feel things but we just don't understand them and so don't realize what they're saying to us. The ones who learn to express things in ways that we understand our the ones we think love us but really it's a language problem I think.

Just today, I was up at the racehorse training center (that's where I went) and at the home of one of the trainers (all the national-level race training is done at two centers in Japan) I was playing with their dog and parakeet. The parakeet was climbing around on me, nibbling at my lips and pulling my hair. The dog, a Corgi, wants to play with the bird, but his problem is he wants to play like dog to dog. The bird is a tiny one but the dog jumps up and licks its face and the bird doesn't seem to mind, just moves away when it gets too much. It made me wonder about what the different species feel and understand of each other. I wonder if the bird realizes the dog wants to play? Can they read each other's thoughts. Animal communicators say they can. I think it's mostly feeling and telepathic and that's what it is when people say "dogs just know" when someone likes them. They're mind readers I think, not just dogs but all animals. People too but language gets in the way and people are better at concealing things perhaps.

As for the not caring thing about food, yeah, I think that is what I have been doing as well. But I'm trying to disconnect life from eating right. I'm trying to not think of it as a choice anymore but just something that is done, no reflecting, no weighing the pros and cons. You just DON'T do it. If I thought about whether I should be riding, keeping a horse, getting up before 4 a.m. and going to bed by 9, spending tons and tons of money etc etc. I would never be able to do it. I have made that decision though and I'm going to stick with it until I think it's not worth it after I've had a great ride for example, or when, like with your Arashi, you have a beautiful moment together . . . if I can say then, it's not worth it, then maybe I'll quit or change the situation. But right now, I've decided, it's worth it, so I DON'T allow myself to question that decision at the difficult times. And I want to do the same with food.

I'm being able more and more to say, this is my choice and that's that. I'm sticking with it and what it takes.

I read a beautiful little paragraph in a book today. It was talking about wanting to stop time, about wanting to slow down a beautiful thing so one could feel it constantly. The paragraph ended by saying, no, that can't be. "Holding the note would spoil the song." I kept rolling that sentence over in my mind. It was so beautiful. Yes, holding the notes, those moments that make it all seem worthwhile, holding them WOULD spoil the song, the song which is everything, the ups and down, the sadnesses, the happy times, the failures, the victories . . . they ARE the song and we have to learn to sit with calmness through it all, so that we will really hear the beauty of those special notes. . .

I was thinking over that "lazy" thing too. I was discussing it with my brother, who, by the way, flew to Hong Kong from Seattle JUST to see me. Now, how's that for a bro!? I was talking about the lazy thing and how I had considered the label and even tried it on for size for a while but then said, **** no! There's no way a lazy person can do the things I've done and Raven, from the sounds of it, I'm not buying it from you either.

Look, basically, no one likes pain and hardship unless he's one sick puppy! So, stop calling yourself derogatory things like "lazy." You ain't lazy. You're human. You're SANE for gods sake!

jolly -- been "slowing down" the food choices? That is kind of funny. I think you realized that. I understand you saying you don't feel like the one making the choices. It's as if what you're putting in your mouth "doesn't count," right? It's kind of like a child closing her eyes and pretending something isn't there anymore.

happy -- just where are you going by the way? Thanks for the encouragement. yes, overanalyzing is a waste of time and heh, ain't no one paying us for it!

chachee -- good for you for getting back into it. Heh, I'm in the same boat as you. The past three months have been **** and I'm a blob because of the way I dealt with them. But, I'm getting back into it. Bought an expensive eight-day macrobiotic kit that has all the prepackaged food you need for 8 days. Now, I figure it's going to be pretty gross and I'm going to be HUNGRY but I wanted to do it. I bought it Monday. It'll be delivered probably Christmas Eve but I'm not going to start until I see 8 days of pretty clear running, which means no excuses, big ones for pigging out or drinking. That may be from Tuesday, the 28th, parties will be over, gym's closing, stable closing for a few days over New Year's. I can go on this semi-starvation diet (for me!) and reset my body. Actually, last week I did pretty much that but with a lot more food. I felt great ('cept for the caffeine withdrawal) and I looked tons better. Skin was totally different.

Yeah, so anyhow, you have a great attitude chachee. Keep it up. Enjoy life, do a little jig for yourself and your successes, even if they're not ALL you wanted. You've got something. Be happy. We do have to count our blessings. I used to hate that saying. Thought it meant you either had no yucky things going on in your life or you were playing some Stepford wife kind of psycho game (are you all old enough to remember Stepford Wives?) But I think now what it means, what it always meant, is that we've got to spit on the hard times and keep our heads raised high (supportive double chins or not!) and DEFY what life throws us by refusing to let it turn us into quivering, whimpering little moany, groany, sarcastic, cynical little wimps. . . . "Heh, you, here's another curve ball, can you hit this one?! and here's another fast one, and now a real slow one, and here, just to see what you're made of comes one that . .. just may . . . knock you unconsicous!! Well, tell me, how do you like it? Can you take it?" . . . **** yeah, I say, come on, (like the song), hit me with your best shot, or rather, TRY to hit me with it. And not being hit, THAT means, not losing sight of our dreams. . . not for anything. And our common dream on this Website is losing weight, healthily, exercising, taking care of ourselves more, being happier about ourselves (and we know what would make us happier!), so let's just, as Yoda and Nike agree, just DO IT! Life "tries" us. We get to decide the outcome.

derrydaughter
12-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Wow, that was some post Red, thanks. I liked the thought about holding the note and spoiling the song, so much to think about.
Sounds like Tokyo is a very diverse place and I think I would enjoy it, partly, but would be homesick this time of year. I hope you find your own special way to enjoy the day!
I became curious about these tickerfactory.com things so many people have and when I looked into it, saw the 3FC is not happy about them being part of your signature line and have forbidden them now. So, they have started their own, which I now have (I hope?). I now wonder if tickerfactory is just a low carb place, from what I saw on line?
Are some of you into low carb vs. other kind of diets? Curious.
I was better yesteray foodwise than I was over the previous several days. I will be working out in a little while today as well. I was motivated yesterday and went to my ww meeting and the topic was to exercise.... so here I go!
Take care, enjoy the season, stay healthy and try to get some exercise and eat intelligently.
Linda

derrydaughter
12-22-2004, 09:30 AM
ps: my ticker thing didn't work. Bummer. Will try again later.
Linda

jollygirl
12-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Hey Derry, gues what? You have a ticker!! REd, I too liked your analogy about the song. Especially about hearing all the special notes. I need to slow down, so I can connect with myself, my animals, my friends, and really hear and enjoy the whole song, instead of rushing through everything.

Have a great day all.

RavenToy
12-22-2004, 12:58 PM
I didn't see where 3FC had forbidden them, just asked people to change over to the 3FC ones to try to cut down on server to server lag. Maybe I missed that part. Honestly, I didn't even know they were talking about it till you posted that, Linda. Shows you how observant I am. :D Changed mine, though. Wish they had as many options as tickerfactory, but hey, beggers can't be choosers.

The note thing was a good analogy, Red. And I agree with you on the animals thing. I personally think humans in general are far too presumptuous about their supposed intelligence. I was raised around the native alaskans, who have a great and deep respect for the animals they hunt. I learned that even if I had to kill to eat, which I did, to never take for granted the life I took. Deepness. It's about appreciation and respect, yes indeed. I'm trying to teach that to my children. I don't have to hunt anymore, and I do like to eat meat, so I'm pretty much a happy hypocrite at this point.

Noodle noodle noodle...

Can I go home now?

redballoon
12-23-2004, 02:01 AM
Hi people, Back after riding today. Had to go out into the big scary ring by the road where the horses always spook and run around and do what they want UNLESS I can have my way. Well, I was able to do more than usual so it felt good. I'm a very nervous rider actually. I jump more at cars flying by then the horse. Big sigh. Wish I wasn't so sensitive. Is it any wonder I get nerve problems (my legs are still bad). People don't realize how sensitive I am because I guess I don't look it. I have all the armor of muscle and fat on me and they must think I'm some sort of tortoise (then again, maybe tortoises are sensitive and that's why they hide in their shell. . . )

Linda -- glad you liked my long post. It's always a disappointment when you write something long and no one seems to notice. :^:

You asked about low carb and stuff. I would never go low carb just for low carb sake. I need the energy. But I am thinking that part of the problem is that I eat too many carbs late at night and that if I eat something it should be protein. The problem is I'm a vegetarian and that makes it hard. Ah, heck, I just eat too much I think. I find that when I eat a macrobiotic diet or close (without any meat) then I lose and lose fast. If I eat vegetables I lose quickly but I naturally (just a habit I guess) start eating the grains and breads and such. I guess it's a comfort food, something about the seratonin levels or something. I tried South Beach and think it's great in the latter stages but I could not do the first stage because I had no energy and, at the time, I was doing heavy weight training. But I think that's an excellent diet.

Linda, is it cold up there in New Hampshire now? I've never been further north than upstate New York. My parents honeymooned in New England though and I would like to go there some day. There is lots of dressage I hear around there, or there was. Do you see many horses?

jolly -- how are you? Are you slowing down? Yet, I hope you didn't misunderstand the analogy with "song." It didn't mean that the song was a pleasant one to listen to, not like "stop and smell the roses." The note one wants to hold is the beautiful thing and the "song" is everything about life, all the hardships and ugliness included. I suppose the word "song" is misleading unless you think of a Shostokovich (spelling?) symphony or something.

raven -- ah, I can see now the influence of the native alaskans. I wanted to be an Indian (Native American) when I was a kid. I lived in the woods practically, had this deep respect for nature and love of animals. And that's when I started refusing to eat meat. I just didn't want them to die for me. These days, I cannot think of the horrors of the slaughterhouses and the farm factories and eat meat. And eggs I only buy from hen that are supposedly running around. Still, I buy leather things, though not much. We can do little things but I think the most important is respect and appreciation as you say and not wasting. Oh, and I like your ticker, very austere. Oh, a sad note, raven, don't know if you follow dressage at all, but did you hear that fabulous horse, Farbenfroh, had to be put down following an operation. Here's a link to the thread where they were talking about him on Ultimate Dressage. Do you know that forum?
http://www.ultimatedressage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51551&sid=7c29f1dc78899326a566e8614de3478f

Okay, anyone else out there I missed? I hope not. Take care all and write soon. It sure gets lonely around here this time of year.

Today is a holiday here but not Christmas Eve or Christmas. Since I do work at a newspaper the only day of the year it's closed other than a press holiday once every other month or so is New Year's Day. Today, by the way, is the Emperor's birthday. He's 71. I should have been down at the Imperial Palace this morning waving a little Japanese flag at the Imperial Family when they came out on the balcony (behind bulletproof glass) to wave back. Instead I was out riding my horse. :dizzy: I will be executed at dawn.

Chachee
12-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi All.

Off work early today, as our Commissioner has given us an extra half day for Christmas. I was thinking I might take the family out and go watch all the crazies at the mall. Just something fun to do. We have a dinner tonight with friends,then take them to the airport tomorrow morning.

We have three people coming over to the house for Christmas dinner. Just a casual, no big deal thing. We are having hamburgers, potato salad, watergate salad, fruit salad, pasta salad and some veggies. Easy but good comfort food.

Is it just me, or does it seem like not a lot of people are in the holiday mood? Just something I tend to see more and more each year. Disappointing, because I think people tend to focus more on the materialistic things, rather than the true spirit of the holidays. We all get caught up in that sometimes, but when it gets to the point it makes you angry or grouchy, then things must be re-assessed and taken back into perspective. It's not about money, it's about spending time together and remembering there are others much less fortunate than us.

That is why I feel so good that I made all those scarves this year and donated them to the abused women and children's shelter. It's not much, but when they are a little warmer when they are standing at the bus stop, then it makes me feel good.

I'll be signing off for a few days. I wanted to wish everyone much happiness, health and peace for Christmas. I'll be back on Monday.

Chach

jollygirl
12-23-2004, 03:13 PM
OK. Raven, I lied. . .

Red, I am sorry you think I interpreted your analogy the wrong way. I guess I thought that it was ok for us to have different opinions, approaches to losing weight, ways of looking at things. I guess i was wrong. I only meant that for ME, I tend to rush through life like it is a race, and not experience it. I am not slowed down and connected enough to any of it to even hear the song.

Everyone, I wish you the best holidays, and best of luck with your weight loss. As well as new homes, new jobs, health, and all the rest. Peace to you.

redballoon
12-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Hi Chachee -- thanks for popping in. Heh, I didn't know you made all these scarves for the shelter. What a sweet thing to do! Now that's the spirit! I don't know about people feeling the spirit or not since I'm not in the country. Maybe they never did, maybe there's just more and more commercialization and so you feel the materialistic part even stronger now. As long as there are people like you, and there are, we'll be Ok, right? Have a great Christmas!

jolly -- jolly, dear. what is this note (chord?) of defensiveness I read in your post. "Not allowed to have other opinions" What ever are you talking about? The analogy wasn't mine. I'd read it and all I was doing was pointing out the I thought that person's use of the word "song" was different than the one you were using, in apparent reference to the my quote of that sentence. That's all. It was nothing personal and had absolutely zilcho to do with your personal ways of losing weight, looking at the world etc. Settle, girl, settle! But then, this is exactly what you're saying you so very much need. Calm and slowing down. You must realize, it's very, very difficult to express tones in email messages. You've got to have faith that anyone writing here, at least, not the established people, are going to get nasty or anything. OK?

happy2bme
12-23-2004, 06:13 PM
Ho ho ho chickies :)
Twas the night before the night before Christmas and chaos abounds... Someone slow down the hamster wheel please.

Good concepts on holding a note too long and losing the whole spirit of the season. I am trying to imagine at this minute what a perfect Christmas would be. Me and DH and my family members in a cabin in the deep woods. A fresh Christmas tree scenting up things. Totally homemade decorations - paper chains with that awful starchy stickly glue that didn't really stick or that thick yellow stuff that always "crisped up" and closed the slit on the rubber glue applicator - LePage's brand I think it was. Home made gifts - not the prettiest but made with so much love they can barely contain themselves. A nice simple dinner, a crackling fire and some roasted marshmallows for dessert. Poke your head out the window to a night so silent you can actually hear the snow gently fall. Remembering why the best gift of all is to be alive and all the things you should be grateful for. Having "enough" --- enough to make you happy, meet your basic needs but not so much that you take things for granted. That would be my ideal Christmas.

Wishing you all peace, love and happiness over the next few days...

redballoon
12-23-2004, 06:19 PM
BEAUTIFUL post, happy!! Thank you and a Merry Christmas!

derrydaughter
12-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Good morning/day to you all! Loved the analogy of the perfect Christmas. I do think people seem more into the holiday this year than in the past, I think it's a good thing as long as it's not all that materialists, but centered on family and friends.
I hope you are all happy and healthy and can take some times for yourselves and reflect the meaning of this special time in terms of what is valuable in your lives. Hope that makes sense!
Red, yes there are tons of horses and horse farms up here in NH, quite a bit of dressage as well.
That quote about holding the note too long reminded me of the saying "all good things must come to an end" and such is life. Think about the good people who are no longer with us and think about the wonderful situations you might have been part of in the past that have dissolved. Everything has it's "time" and recognizing and accepting when these things are "done" and not "holding the note too long" is important.
I saw an interview on TV yesterday, while wrapping gifts, with a TV performer on it. He was saying that this was the last season his show would be on, though they are way up there in the ratings, it was better to go out on a "good note" and not let the show go down the tubes. Good point, and a good point about many things in life, I guess?
Tonight, I hope, will be the start of a fun family Christmas.... we are all basically healthy, my kids will be with us (as they are teens, I begin to see a time in the future when they might not be with us), our small immediate family will have a nice dinner (our fondue and artichokes with french bread) and we will be playing Christmas music with candles lit and we will have wine. We may open one gift before bedtime, there will be no snow, sadly, but that's just the way it goes!
Happy Holiday to those of you who are celebrating and good thoughts to those of you who aren't!
We are going away overnight, tomorrow, and will be back late in the day on Sunday if you all don't hear from me.
Linda

RavenToy
12-24-2004, 09:56 AM
All this talk about notes. Music analogies. Harmony, discord, songs...

I think sometimes when we speak in analogies, some people relate, some people don't.

This is a difficult time of year for so many people. We haven't necessarily forgotten what it's all about. In fact, sometimes we know it all too well, and that is why it becomes so difficult for us. I face the loss of my mother, the slow dying of my father, the alienation for whatever reason of my brothers, and the fact that I am so far away from everything I grew up with. Trust me, I'm not setting myself up as some sort of object of misery. I am blessed in so many ways, and I truly understand that. It is not the "things" I long for, it is the people who made my life what it is. The transition from daughter and sister to only mother and girlfriend has been a rocky one. There are so many out there who face battles of loneliness, heartache, worry - severe financial issues, health issues, etc. during this time of year.

Yesterday again I was moved to tears watching my horses frolic in the cold. Since I can remember knowing what a horse was, I'd wanted one. How many people can say they had a 40 year old dream come true? These beautiful creatures don't just "belong" to me, they are a part of me. It goes beyond dogs, cats, whatever else I've ever had because it is a partnership based in trust. They are a prey animal, we are a predator, and yet - they trust us. I put my life in their hooves every time I climb on their back. They put their life in my hands every day of they are on this planet. I feel unbelievably honored that they have chosen to trust me like they do. And I feel tremendously lucky to be able to offer this to my children, especially during this time of the year. These animals are graced by God, IMHO, and give far more than they take.

This thread has taken us down some interesting paths this year. Many of us have gotten to know each other, spoken on the phone, are making plans to meet, or have met.

We are all so different, in so many ways.

The common thread is that we are all trying to figure out the best way to live in health, and how to lose the weight we carry. We are all going to do this in different ways, we know this. We all know that each person has to find their own path, and we respect that. What works for one person will not necessarily work for another. That doesn't just apply to food, but to perspectives as well.

The beauty of this site is that we are all allowed that. Were that it this way in all aspects of our lives.

I truly hope that each and every one of you find peace during this season.

*warmest hugs to each of you*

happy2bme
12-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Happy Day after Christmas chickies. Hope Santa was good to you all. We had a nice time with the family. But when it came time to leave, my mom started hugging me and crying which of course started the waterworks with me. It was hard. I told her it's not forever and as soon as we get settled in she MUST come and visit which she promised she would. Makes me even more eager to find a new house as soon as possible. I came home and started going through things in the house and tagging them for taking with us in the car, to the apartment or to storage. There is SO much to go through I probably should have started this sooner but I am a procrastinator. And messing up my back didn't help either. I'm better now but have to be careful I don't do something sudden. It's also sad for me to realize that in 3 days I will be leaving and moving on. I will adjust but I think it's a period of "mourning" I must go through.

Today the husband is disassembling the computer furniture and the cable modem box goes back this week. That means most probably no computer service after today. I'm not sure I can exist without the computer. Would rather give up the TV and my music! So this will be my last post until the first week in January when we get settled into the new apartment and get the cable service set up.

I wish you all a very happy and healthy new year. Ring it in nicely :cheers: but don't overdo it. See you in 2005!

RavenToy
12-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Happy - I'm going to miss you! I know you won't see this till you get your computer set up again, but I'm thinking about you. What you said about saying g'bye to your mom made me get all teary... I hope the move goes smoothly, please let us know how you're doing as soon as you can!

Well .. it's the happy merry week after Christmas and the new year is approaching rapidly. My plans are to stay home, listen to the fireworks everyone in the neighborhood is no doubt going to be shooting off, and sip wine by the fire. Or maybe I'll play World of Warcraft till I fall asleep at the keys. I'm a nerd.

Ok, next week it will be Back to Basics. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that's where I need to be. I've lost sight of all the steps I had to take just to get to the point where I was on a good life plan. I guess I'll start the thread this weekend, and I will start outlining exactly what the basics were and will be again, for me.

I hope everyone has a wonderful new years eve/day... stay safe, people!

Chachee
12-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Hello Ladies,

I just couldn't wait for the Basics to begin, so I started prepping myself this week. I have upped the treadmill time--now working out at 3-3.5 mph 60 minutes each morning. I'm averaged 3.03-3.25 miles. I have reeled in the crap food and have started to weigh myself again. Enough is enough.

For me, the Basics will mean three things (that I can think of right now): Exercising, eating healthy, and supporting my friends here on the thread. We are all at different points in our lives, but still all here for support with our lifestyle changes. I come here to vent, ask for help, and celebrate victories with each one of you.

Basically, I want to be a more positive person next year, and I think our new thread and thought processes will be very helpful for me to get exactly where I need to be.

I need to know not to set myself up for failure and set my goals too high or be unrealistic. I'm going to enjoy my body changing and shrinking. I'm going to enjoy hearing about my friends have successes. I'm going to enjoy LIVING!!

I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year. Raven, girl, I'm a nerd too. My big plans are to sew. Did I tell you all that I learned how to quilt? Oh yeah, baybay!! My new passion. So, I have about six of them done and ready to get on the quilting frame. Hmm...sounds like Chach will need some addresses to send quilts out next year...

Happy Tuesday.

Chach

derrydaughter
12-29-2004, 07:31 AM
Well, guys, I had a rude awakening last night as I went to my ww meeting and found that I had gained back 2.6 pounds over Christmas. Amazing when it takes me forever to lose that much, how quickly it comes back.
Happy, I hope the move goes well and I really felt for you when I read about you saying your goodbyes. You'll do well, it's the leaving part that is the hardest, I have been there! Once you break away and leave, then the activity of moving and getting settled takes over, but you get awfully emotional. Just keep moving and don't let the emotions control what goes into your mouth - I've really been there for sure.
Raven, I think you were having quite a time thinking of your family days that have gone by and I hope you can get back on better terms with the remaining family you have. I, too, miss people who are no longer part of my life over the holidays. Yet, this year was a good year and we had some nice times. We sure as heck had some really nice food!
Driving back from Rhode Island in the car was the first news we'd heard in a few days and I was really saddened to hear about the Earthquake, Tsunamis (sp?) and all the deaths. I though of our Red and wonder if she is ok and if she has suffered through all of this, though I see from a map that she must have been far away from all the horror.
Chach, you are a powerhouse when you set your mind to a project, you go girl! Wow, sewing on New Year's Eve, sounds great to me! We're nerds as well here and truly never make New Year's Eve plans. We do have a nice meal, usually, but we're in bed well before midnight each year. It's no big deal to me, just another day.
I put together a quilt yesterday that is very artful, will have to show you guys photo of it when it's done. It's a Snowy Owl in the middle of a snowy field. It's a very peaceful quilt and I hope it wins me a prize!!!!
Chach, I read your back to basics analogy and I'm totally on board and I am, as of yesterday, back to basics too!
I have some goals for myself now..... First and foremost journalling, which keeps me on track and I have to be honest with myself. I will eat better and move my exercises to the front burner and really work hard. I will stay on track with you guys and help you all as best I can.
I'm looking forward to the new thread and a new approach.
Linda

redballoon
12-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Linda, I'm here, OK, no effect from the tidal wave this far east. Been reading sometimes. Back to work today. Dreading it. Don't want to go. Seems like a big waste of the day. Horrible that even the money, which I need, is not a motivator anymore. Will try to write more later. Things were so quiet around here I started posting over on the Battle of the Bulge thread. Spreading myself too thin again. Wish it would spread to the weight loss! :lol:

happy2bme
01-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Happy New Year chickies. I have arrived safe and sound in Memphis. It was a very foggy drive but we made very good time. Was a pleasant surprise also to hit unseasonably warm weather. It was almost 70 degrees (don't hate me Jolly as I understand you guys got an ice storm). I can't tell you how wonderful that felt and how dumb I felt as my only clothes were warm winter ones with snowmen on them - what can I say I only get to wear the holiday sweaters for one month a year? :o

It seems I am in the middle of horse country out here - horses everywhere. One home we looked at even backs up to a horse farm. You guys would feel right at home here.

I am trying hard to accept that this is my new home now. Also trying to get my bearings and not get lost but that will take time. The people DO drive crazy out here - I think I may not have a perfect driving record for much longer.

New Year's Eve was quiet. We ordered in a pizza and played cards with my SIL who drove my car down here. I was in bed before midnight for the first time in my adult life. Lots of changes this year.

Today I started the new year with more water, some basic exercises I can do without any equipment and paid close attention to the food choices. I saw myself in a mirror last night and didn't like what I saw one bit. May this last new year's eve be the worst I ever was - if I've hit bottom I have no where to go but up and I desperately want that as I am tired of feeling like a blob along with the aches and pains that come with not taking care of myself.

I love the back to basics theme you guys talked about. Little steps. Big improvements.

Then too I see the devistation from the Tsunami and can't believe the suffering that is going on. Reminds me of how lucky I am.

I'm sitting here at the hotel internet kiosk and I think there are others waiting to get on so I have to cut this short. We'll be moving into our apartment on Monday and hopefully we'll have electricity, phone and cable service, furniture and our worldly possessions so that we can start getting settled in again. I do have to find the complex's fitness center as the treadmill is calling my name.

Hope you all had a very happy new year and may this be the best year yet for all of us! Will catch up later in the week...

redballoon
01-02-2005, 09:11 AM
happy, good luck! So good to hear from you. You will settle in in no time. Remember, to the tune of is it 10cc or Ten Years After, . . ."I've got my home in my hand!. . . .! Great song. I always thought of it as I traveled the world. It's YOU happy that makes a home, not your house or the environs. So just jump in and get to it. The neighborhood will thank you!
Take care.
Where is everyone else? Did we start a new thread yet. . .. Raven?

derrydaughter
01-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Happy New Year everyone.
Happy, glad to see you made it and glad you are safe, Red.
Will we have a new thread?
Linda

StuckAT190
01-05-2005, 12:02 AM
:wave: Hello Everyone, I am Angie, I live in the coldest province in Canada Called Manitoba. I am a sahm of two very active little girls ages soon to be 6 on the 19 and soon to be 2 on the 23 both in this month. I have been with my hubby for almost 10 years married almost 5 years. We live in a small town just out side of winnipeg. I have tried atkins last year lost 15 pounds keeped that off thank god and now i want to lose the rest which is 80 pounds. We bought a :tread: treadmill last year and i maybe have used it 5 times the rest of the time it hold my hubbies laundry because he is to lazy to put it in the laundry room, and since i'm not his maid i refuse to clean up after him. Well i got on the treadmill today for 15 min and i thought i was going to die. I did five min of a warm up then i went to buring fat the next step up and man i am sore.

My goal is to be 110 by the end of june i am 190 now. The reason for such drastic weightlose is so i can apply to our police department and you need to be in exellent shape.

I need the motivation that my hubby can not give seeing he is a rail and never weight more than 145 in his life. The man can eat and eat and eat.

He just doesn't understand what it is like to be over weight and feel so ugly inside i look at my self in the mirror and see me as when i was thin back when i was 21 i was 110 pounds and boy did i have energy. I want that person back and i need your help in getting there.

I just celebrated my 30th birthday back in sept and we went to a social to have some fun and my ex boy friend was there and the look he gave me was somthing else the look like what the f*** did you do to your self kind of look.
All i could do that night was drink and drink some more so i didn't have to feel stupid or explain why and how i gained so much weight.

I belonged to the atkins forum and had no support there and was off line for awhile and now back and i am ready to get down to buiness and shed my extra person i am carring.

I really need the support and from reading this forum i no i can get some help and motivation.

Oh by the way i am a very stubborn person and very hard to push when my mind is set but i am not perfect. :smug:

Can someone be willing to keep me in line and help me lose this weight please :drill:

Thanks Angie i can be reached on msn if anyone wants to chat one on one

redballoon
01-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Angie, Good to see you and welcome!! :wave: This is the old thread so hit the link below and hop on over to the new one for the new year!! See you there!!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=744345#post744345

redballoon
01-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Linda, there you are! I was wondering. You too, hit that link above and find the new thread. Chachee started it up for us the other day. Happy New Year!