Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:07 AM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia #130

I can't believe we are at thread 130!

Anne, my son, Garrett's dad, plays guitar. I taught him years ago and he is fabulous ... but he has no patience to teach. Garrett says he yells at him ... My husband used to do the same thing when he was trying to help the kids with their homework. He didn't really yell at them but he'd get all bent out of shape if they didn't get it the first time he tried to explain it - if you know what I mean. Jim's a lot like his dad in that respect. Kids can't learn under those conditions. I think if I 'teach' him here and then in a little while, when he masters some of the chords and stuff his dad will sit and play some with him, he'll probably do well. Both children seem to have a great deal of musical ability. They should, both their parents sing beautifully and their mom plays piano at their church (it's a very large church). My son plays guitar, bass and banjo. I'm teaching Garrett's sister piano and she is doing great ... she just turned 7!

I guess it'll all come out in the wash, as my grandmother used to say! I'll just have to 'play lightly'!
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:01 PM   #2  

Candice, so sorry to hear about your Mom. Not too far removed from the situation myself so know some of the difficulties. Good that you have niece to be so helpful/understanding.

Mima, have a safe trip and ENJOY.

Had a great holiday weekend w/kids and today is dh's b.d. The best I can say about my "healthy" behavior is that I've walked almost everyday. Biopsy came back benign, no ulcer, dh's protime and PSA were both good - other bloodwork not and he's restricting his already restricted diet even more to try to stay off dialysis.

Some outside decorating done, none inside. About half done shopping and most of what I have is wrapped. Cards all but done and should go in mail in a few days. Not baking much more (I've baked two good batches of nut roll which I give away a lot). One more batch of nut roll, maybe one of cookies. Have three parties on the agenda and some babysitting so daughter and hubbie can go out to celebrate her birthday. Maybe one more craft show and am looking at a possible Christmas show if I can work out when to go. Plus some lunches w/friends, etc. And less than a month to do it all - I'm too old and slow.

Hope everybody feels better soon.
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:51 PM   #3  

Well ... the first guitar lesson went well. We played Tom Dooley and Jingle Bells! Garrett enjoyed it ... Oddly enough - so did I!

Good news about the biopsy. I haven't even bought my Christmas cards yet. So much to do and so little time to do it in! I'm afraid I'm going to need another life if I'm ever to get it all done!

Our days are identical suitcases---all the same size
but some people can pack more into them than others.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:31 AM   #4  

Well, talked to my sis and they got mom settled into the nursing home. she is sayuing more words and eating abit. The dr. left the catherter in and she keeps trying to pull it out...they should just take it out! Her kidney function test had improved results and that was a sruprize to everyone including the docs. They say she may have had an infection in them also and gave her antibiotics. WE are afraid of her falling trying to get out of bed,so they put a pad down on the floor. My sis said she would call as soon as she gets any bad news. So still not sure if I will try to go..hopefully we will just have to go down at Christmas. My sis says it will be a shock to us to see her looking this way..I already know that! I appreciate your thoughts and support! Thanks.

I need to start getting things done around here..been putting stuff on hold so I would not be in the middle of something and have to leave but I'm am getting anything done that way. I could use an extra 24 hrs. too Meme!

We got more snow here!
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 01:27 PM   #5  

Default Hey There

I guess I am in the same boat as everyone else this time of the year.I cleaned carpets today.. Tomorrow I will try to put up tree etc. Then I will start my shopping. I am always so glad when that part is done..
I had a nice Thanksgiving with my daughter.Now we are looking for a nice Christmas..Everyone will probably come to my house.
I am still trying to get off a few more pounds..
Candice.. At this stage of the game there is not much you can do for your Mom. Your sister did the best thing. She is in a place that she should get constant care. Don't make yourself sick . You are having pain over her,but, keep in mind she probably isn't in too much pain. As long as her needs are met that is what counts..
Hello everybody..Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:00 PM   #6  

Got a few decorations out today and tried to rest. When I talked to my sis this morning she had not checked on mom yet to how her first night went and now I can't reach her so I guess it was ok. I think my appetite might be returning cause my tummy is growling.....that must be a good sign!
Old 12-01-2004, 08:29 PM   #7  

Anagram, hooray about the biopsy!
Candice, I'm glad that your mother will be receiving care at the nursing home. I know how hard this is on you and your family.
Meme, way to go on the guitar lessons! Sounds like fun.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:28 AM   #8  

Sure is quiet ... where is everybody?

I'm hurting so bad I can't stand myself! I didn't even go to sleep last night ... was still up at 4:30 a.m.

I've been doing my Christmas shopping 'online' ... have most of it done. Just a few more things to buy. I'm going to try to get some of those tomorrow. I've decided to just get Blockbuster giftcards for my piano students That way, I don't have to shop and they can watch a movie or play a video game during their Christmas break. I can't find any cards. Guess I'll have to try CVS or Wal Greens tomorrow. I really hate shopping for cards!!! All our 'friends' and us (there are 6 of us and then one couple has 2 kids) drew names ... except for the kids. I just ordered a neck massager for one name and a foot massager for the other because they are always complaining and saying they want their neck or their feet massaged. Now I have to get out tomorrow and try to find the 2 kids a watch. Their mom said K Mart had some Disney watches on sale for $10 so guess that's where I'll go ... although I would have thought the girl would rather have something more mature. Maybe they'll have some cards, too. I still have to order my 2 girls a couple of games and get the 2 boys an outfit each but I'm happy that I have so much done already. I have my gifts for church bought, too, so I'm truckin' right along! I'm not usually this far ahead the first week in Dec. WWW is a WWWonderful thing!
Old 12-04-2004, 02:54 AM   #9  

So far so good with mom........

Meme..DH plays guitar too, good job on the shopping, I order alot of stuff too but hate paying for shipping unless I really have too. Most places offer free shipping if you order enough though. Hope you get some sleep..I didn't get much today either, was finishing up some last minute gifts to mail out and I have to have all this Christams stuff cleared out of my sons room before he gets her this month.

I have not started baking yet, have all my stuff bought and dug out all my storage containers and baking stuff but we need to clean the freezer out, cause that is where I keep everything untill I give it away. It is a big chest freezer and hard for me to do alone and my son can't help like he usually does so I told DH he had too, we will see.

I made a new recipe for chex mix with oil and dry ranch dressing mix and it tastes like the oil.....did I use the wrong kind or something? I used canola cause that is all I have for cooking..don't use it much. Maybe it was too old? I guess I will have to throw the stuff out if it does not taste right tomorrow! made some regular mix too and it is not seasoned enough...I can't seem to cook with not much of an appetite

Hi Tammy

Last edited by Candicej; 12-04-2004 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:58 PM   #10  

Hi all! We just returned from a college Preview Day at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio. We went up last night and stayed over at the Hol. Inn Express. Our suite had a hot tub so I made good use of it. I know that I definitely overdid it with all of the walking on the tour, and climbing so many steps! My husband talked to the people at the registration desk and told them that it would be nice to have a tour for people who are less mobile than others. They apologized for not even thinking of it.

We've received some Christmas cards, so I guess that means that I need to get busy. It's alot easier now, because I just print out the address labels that are on the computer. Saves so much time and pain!

I was awake most of the night last night because my arms were aching and burning. I will be so glad to have the surgery on the right hand for the carpal tunnel in January. It is always the one that causes me the most problems. Very hard to grade papers sometimes!

Meme, I'm becoming an online person too. It's alot less crowded here at home than it is at the mall!!

I'll probably wait until school is out to do cookies. I use my grandma's sugar cookie recipe. Can't wait to have some!! That's about the only thing I make, so Candice feel free to mail me some of your goodies. lol
Old 12-05-2004, 01:32 PM   #11  

Good morning ladies.

Meme - glad the guitar lesson went well. It is always such a pleasure to share things with the grand kids. Hope you are not going on all four burners!

Candice - glad your mom got into a nursing home. I am convinced that it is the best place for Alzheimer patients. Things are kept more on an even keel and they aren't as confused. Hope you can wait and just go at Christmas.

Tammy - sounds like you had fun. Too bad the pain always hits but we all know that is what will happen, and we still do it. I hope the CT surgery will help relieve a lot of that pain.

Joanne - glad you had a good visit with your daughter. Christmas will soon be upon us and past. It sure looks a lot like Christmas outside today. It started snowing yesterday and it is all nice and white. It is about 2F here today for the high. It isn't that cold, but it dropped quite a bit.

Everybody have a good day.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:50 PM   #12  

Now ... If I could just get Anne to send me some snow and Candice to send me some sweets ... I'd be OK!

So ... when's the surgery, Tammy? How much work are you going to miss. You may have told us ... I'm not good with the remembering ... I swear sometimes I think I'm in the early stages of 'oldtimers'!

I finally found some cards yesterday ... now I have to sign all them and stick the labels on. I'll also have to make sure all my addresses are still right from last year. We have tooooo many people to send cards to. We still get cards from the last 2 churches we went to, plus the one we go to now, all my relatives in NC and hubby's relatives here and in MI ... plus piano students, men who work for hubby and other miscellaneous friends. WOW I usually send out about 50 or 60 cards!!! And then I go and pick out funny cards for my close girl friends just from me. Like, I picked out one for one of my friends yesterday that has a nearly bear 'hunk' on the front with boots, a Santa hat and red shorts with a wide black belt and says: "This is Santa's brother, Derek." Then on the inside it says: "He takes care of the naughty ones. Merry Christmas" I got it for her because she IS naughty! I buy quite a few of those! But, I'm tellin' ya ... cards are so expensive now. By the time you buy the cards, buy the labels and print them and then pay for postage it nearly breaks you up! I spent nearly $50 just on cards at K Mart yesterday and I still haven't addressed them or stamped them ... and I'm not finished yet!!!

(I bought hubby one that says: With you for my husband, every day is Christmas Day ... so, by my count, you owe me 365 presents!)
Old 12-05-2004, 05:30 PM   #13  

2F sounds awfully nippy to me! It's in the 40's here today, and it's supposed to be up in the 50's this week. Sure! Right after I get a new winter coat. lol

The CT surgery is Jan. 20. I'll be out until Feb. 7, I think that's the date I'll go back to school.

Meme, I know what you mean about mailing cards and the expense. We're tried to cut down, but where do you make the cuts? Love the card to your girlfriend and the one to your husband!!!!

Bob just left to go to a Christmas party. I knew that it would be too much, so I'm staying home and hanging out. It's mostly people that he knows, so he'll be fine. I went last year, and I wasn't really that comfortable since I really didn't know anyone.

This weekend went so fast!
Old 12-06-2004, 02:56 AM   #14  

Got the freezer done, 2 hours of bending stretching and lifitn and I have to dress warm to do it and put supports on my elbows......now I am hurting form head to toe!

Meme..I send out over 100 cards, yes it does get expensive!

Tammy, would you share your sugar cookie recipe with us? I think I'm gonna try taht White House one they had on GMA Sunday.

Happy, can you give me your new address, you do not live in Edmonton anymore right?

Mom still can't do anyting for herself but my niece let me listen to her flirt with the old boys and sing to them at the nursing home....A real hoot! She knew her name this time too! Still very weak though.....
Old 12-06-2004, 02:57 AM   #15  

White House Sugar Cookies

White House Soft Rolled Christmas Sugar Cookies:
Makes about 2-3 dozen cookies (depending on size of cutters)

Cookie Dough Ingredients 1/2 cup of sugar

1/2 cup of butter, soft, unsalted

2 large eggs

1 tsp. of vanilla

2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour

1 tsp. of salt

2 tsp. of baking powder

Icing Ingredients

2 egg whites (from large eggs)

4-6 cups powdered sugar

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/4 tsp. lemon juice

liquid food color, as desired

Method -- Cookie Dough:

1. Combine sugar and butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 8-10 minutes with an electric mixer and paddle attachment.

2. Add eggs and vanilla and blend.

3. Sift flour, salt and baking powder and add. Mix until a dough forms.

4. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for at least two hours or overnight before using.

5. Roll on a lightly floured surface to 1/4" thick. Cut out desired Chirstmas shapes like, bells, santas, snowmen, stars, candy canes and etc.

6. Place cookies on a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper or grease baking tray if no paper is avaliable.

7. Baking: Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Baking times depend on the oven. Rotate baking tray halfway through the baking time. Do not over-bake or cookies will get too hard. These cookies should be soft.

8. Let cookies cool completely before decorating.

Method -- Icing:

1. Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer.

2. Sift powdered sugar. Gradually add sugar as mixer is running on low speed.

May require a little more or less sugar depending on size of egg whites used. 3. Add lemon juice and vanilla and blend well.

4. Divide icing into small bowls and color as desired.

5. Decorate cookies as you wish.

Note: For a quick way to decorate cookies without using the icing, brush cookies with a slightly beaten egg white and sprinkle cookies with colored sugar(s) before baking.