100 lb. Club - Totally bad... but....

View Full Version : Totally bad... but....

SwimGirl
11-30-2004, 12:55 AM
I haven't ever done anything like this before.. and don't plan to again.. but I'm DESPERATE! I'm going to a christmas party on Friday, and my pants are just a little too tight. I'm bloated from TOM creeping up on me.. so how do you lose water weight? Someone suggested sugar free grapefruit juice, and another suggested water pills. What else is good to help lose water weight? I am going to cut out all my caffiene, and all bubbly drinks. And not gonna venture near gassy foods... what else is there though? :?:

-Aimee

Inca's Momma
11-30-2004, 08:03 AM
I usually find if I up my water intake, my body releases the water it is storing.

slimmingsi
11-30-2004, 12:13 PM
drink green tea from dawn till dusk and you'll never leave the bathroom

funniegrrl
11-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Yes, increasing water intake is just about the best thing you can do. Some people swear that lemon juice is a diuretic, so they add lots of lemon to their water -- but, I don't have any experience with that myself. I'd stay away from pills, just on general principle. Also, stay away from sodium as much as possible!

Taking a slightly different tack, I would also suggest ... a helpful undergarment. It doesn't have to be heavy-duty, but a shaper can work wonders and you can find inexpensive ones at places like Target (do you have Target in Canada?).

Tammy32
11-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Diet green tea is the way to go. It really works. I have never tired OTC water pills. I don't know how well they work. Sounds like I need one of those shapers though just to hold back loose skin. I've been debating it for awhile. If I try to jog you can hear nasty tummy skin just flapping like crazy. Pretty embarassing. Sorry, I got a little off the subject.

jkfla
11-30-2004, 07:42 PM
the lemon in the water... yes i pee every 15 or so minutes when i do that. LOL

SwimGirl
12-01-2004, 12:57 AM
Yikes! Peeing all the time is evil! Only because I have to commute to work, and can't visit the ladies room for like 2 hours each way.. but definitely great ideas :)

As for the whole shaper thing.. I got one.. lol.. I probably need one that holds MORE in, the one I have just kinda smoothes things out. I will definitely buy a new one on Friday, see if that can help out a bit. I'm thinking a combination of a few things will help.. I'm totally bloated.. it sucks. I'm up a SIZE, this happens every stupid month... usually I can just deal with it and keep going, but I gotta dress all nice.. so yah. Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to drink more water, and some sugar free grapefruit juice. Or I'll have to find something else to wear...

-Aimee

Orangecupcakez
12-01-2004, 09:14 AM
I have heard so many stories about people taking laxatives to help ... not really sure how safe it is ... I guess a few can't hurt .... it cleans out your colon .. I was reading a study on how people get their colon cleaned and they are amazed what is in there ... once that is done they say an average person will see a loss of 5 - 10 pounds ... health people say if you eat 3 meals a day .. you should have three bowel movements ... if you don't, where is all that food then? Makes you think ....

sweetnsassyfied
12-01-2004, 09:23 AM
eeeeeeeeeeep! you mean after all these years my best firend was right...... i really am full of %*@ ~bursts out laughing~ i am soooooooooo not letting her read this!!

sincerely
sassy

mezmerize
12-01-2004, 10:20 AM
eeeeeeeeeeep! you mean after all these years my best firend was right...... i really am full of %*@ ~bursts out laughing~ i am soooooooooo not letting her read this!!

sincerely
sassy

LMAO :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm also going to a xmas party. (friday) Somedays being a woman is a pain in the U know what... I have excess water and have being thinking of what to do myself. I'm going to try coffee for the potty thing I hear that cleans you out and since I can't make it to the store I'm going to give that a try. As far as water I'm going to try the lemon water.

SwimGirl
12-01-2004, 10:47 AM
I have IBS, so I'm in the bathroom going .... #2 (for lack of better words) like 6 times a day. I'm scared to think what a laxative could do, it sounds kinda painful!

Mez - just eat lots of bran muffins! Coffee helps you retain water.. it's evil.. mmk? ;)

-Aimee

rebelridergirl
12-01-2004, 01:10 PM
I hear ya on the TOM! I swear I super blimp out then and I gain 5-7 pounds instantly. I wonder why we have to go through the hassle of the monthly, plus the weight gain/bloat. It's like being kicked when you're already down!!! :)

mezmerize
12-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Just read that AFTER my 2nd cup of coffee!! :fr:

lessofsarahtolove
12-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Sorry, but I have some TOM + off-plan sodium/fat bloat thing going on as well, and I have a big fancy to-do this weekend (meeting the partner's boss and coworkers for the first time) and I'm going to go the OTC water pill/laxative combo route. Not a popular course of action -- I can hear tongue-clicking and head-shaking from here ;) -- but, personally, I just don't think there's anything very wrong with doing that on a very rare occasion. It's when it becomes a regular practice that I find it ill-advised.

I just know it will work for me, and I don't believe I'll inflict any kind of damage on my body since it's an isolated thing. :) Oh yeah, and you just can't go wrong with a well-constructed undergarment.....not pretty, and not fun (or pretty) to get into.....but truly an effective thing! ;)

And Mez, you made me laugh! (You do that all the time!)

mezmerize
12-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Sarah you make also make me lol. I also think I'm going to go OTC. A girls got to to what a girls got to do! Sarah you have such a great personality. They are going to just love you!! I have a problem that is a bit weird. I'm great one on one and if there is a new person say comming into a party where I know everyone. I'm one of the 1st ppl to go to them and help them to feel comfortable. My problem is when I'm new somewhere I'm like a wall flower. I can't think of a thing to say. A guy I dated once turned to me at a party and said You know I would have never thought you were shy!! So wish me luck that I can somehow say more than 5 words.

SwimGirl
12-01-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm dumb, and proud of it... so.. tell me.. what exactly happens when you take one of those water pills? I worry it will be hard on my stomach, which is so incredibly sensitive. Also, when do you take it? Would the day before be alright? Is that long enough? I don't get paid until Friday, so I wonder if I could take it on Friday and if I'd lose weight by Saturday night?? I'm just not experienced in this dept. I started my first diet when I was 22, impressed? ;)

-Aimee

funniegrrl
12-01-2004, 07:21 PM
I don't have any experience with them, so I can't answer your specific questions, but ...

Just be aware that the only way your body can get rid of water is by sweating and peeing. So, if excessive bathroom visits are a problem because of your schedule, then ... ANY kind of diuretic, whether it's a pill or lemon-and-water or green tea, will all have the same issues for you.

slimmingsi
12-01-2004, 07:42 PM
another thing that is an absolute killer for water retention is salt! anything with high sodium content will suck that water up and not let it go.

dowsx4
12-03-2004, 09:57 AM
One thing I learned recently is potassium helps counteract excess salt. I have tried it and it does make me less bloated and feel better so if you can eat banana's I would add that in addition to the water and green tea!

lessofsarahtolove
12-03-2004, 02:38 PM
One thing I learned recently is potassium helps counteract excess salt. I have tried it and it does make me less bloated and feel better so if you can eat banana's I would add that in addition to the water and green tea!
Other terrific sources of potassium, should you not have the free calories or inclination to eat bananas, are spinach (you'll get more of an impact from cooked vs. raw because you'll get more spinach per cup) and tomatoes. They're both quite high, with spinach being particularly low in calories and a good source of fiber!

Potassium is the only nutrient I struggle with -- the rest I get in abundance -- and I've taken to eating a 1-2 cups of cooked spinach per day, and making a point of upping my tomato intake as well. I take potassium supplements, but you have to take so many to get any real impact (at 5% per pill that's a lot of pills!) so I've turned to spinach as my savior. I love it, and it has all sorts of other great benefits as well.

Jen
12-03-2004, 05:28 PM
I don't think OTC water pills are strong enough for you to lose all the water you want in a day or 2. I think you would have to take them for a few days. Also as far as laxatives goes, once in awhile will do no harm to take them but if you take them frequently over a long period of time your bowel will not respond to normal body stimulation to excavate itself and you'll have a difficult time having bowel movements without laxatives.

K8-EEE
12-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Please don't take the dieretics!! I'm old enough (44) to have known women who have really damaged themselves using these things.

Here's what you do....NO SALT!! None! Eat fruit, veggies, totally unsalted (boring) meat and drink tons of water and tea. Berries and melon naturally will help you (I know they're out of season though!) Can you get some frozen berries and mix them with some nonfat milk and protein powder? Just eat a totally salt free diet with fruit and water included and you'll be good as new tomorrow I promise.

SwimGirl
12-04-2004, 01:57 AM
So, I did something else.. I bought new pants, in a small size I might add. Old Navy clothes annoy me, which were the pants I was having issues with. And I have been eating less bad foods, no bubbly drinks, lots of veggies and lean meats, and brown rice. I don't know that I lost any water weight, my stupid TOM is gonna start tomorrow I think.. grrr. Being a woman shouldn't be so darn complicated! Thanks for all the great advice.. and Sarah, I love the potassium thing too. I can usually spare the calories for a banana, and I love them.. heh. I didn't know about the spinach thing, I might get my bf to add that into my food mix (he's the cook around here).

-Aimee