General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 01:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Default Overly sentimental...or just mental???

I would like to know if others have been in my situation. I bought a new car today and I should be thrilled, but I am teary eyed over letting go of my old car. It's been with me for 12 years and has seen me through a lot without ever letting me down (never broke down, always got me to where I needed to go, etc.). Rather than trading it in, I have decided to donate it to charity so that it can continue making other peoples' lives better. My father passed away a year ago July and he was homeless on and off for the last 7 or 8 years of his life. I found a charity in my area that provides emergency housing for the homeless and accepts vehicles as donations, so I thought it was a great fit. I know my car will be put to good use, but I'm still soooo sad to see it go. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I have attached so many emotions and life experiences to that car and I am having a difficult time letting go. Has anybody else experienced this? Or am I crazy?
Old 11-28-2004, 05:44 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You are not crazy. I have a little weep every time I get rid of an old car - especially the faithful ones. What a great idea to donate it to a charity! (((Genesis)))
Old 11-29-2004, 01:27 AM   #3  

Thanks, Ruth! Good to know I'm not alone!
Old 11-29-2004, 10:46 AM   #4  
Searching

Mental over a car? Oh honey. I had my 1988 Toyota Camry since my junior year of college after putting 230,000 miles on her I let her go for $400 this last summer. I wanted $10,000 because to me she was priceless.I cried and cried, and sometimes when I see her I feel a little sad inside. But her new owner appreciates her and she is the most dependable car he owns. She kept me safe and always started, she was dependable, when others weren't.

I have a picture of me and my first love, a 1977 Toyota Celica GT. She was a 5-speed and silver. When I wrecked her I was inconsolable. She also inspired my current love a little 1991 Toyota Celica, with just over a 100,000 miles on her. My husband spun her around on the interstate last night and I thank God I did not lose her or have her damaged. She mean enough to me to keep full coverage on her and drive her gently.

These things become part of our lives and families so I definitely think it is okay to weep and grieve when their time to go is here.

Chris
Old 11-29-2004, 12:37 PM   #5  

Chris, Thanks for the reply. Makes me feel much better! And I'm glad to hear your husband didn't crash your Celica! Julie
Closed Thread